Dungeons Deep

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a deep breath, Vivian nodded confidently. She glanced at the others, "I will see you when this is all said and done. Stay safe."

Markus stood up and motioned towards the third option, "The basement it is." The others followed his steps, leaving what they could to cover tips. Vivian watched them file out while she grabbed what little she carried. Collette grabbed her things, and wrapped Vivian in her arms before stepping away. Shocked by the gesture, Vivian kindly accepted regardless.

Trae tilted his head to her, "I'll make sure to keep the ladies safe, no worries, M'Lady." Vivian only giggled, wishing the young Drow wouldn't refer her with such ranking, but respected his etiquette.

When they were all safe and out of sight, Vivian glanced at the dark stranger who stood at her side. "I'm ready. I will attempt to take their minds in any fashion I can manage. If they are under my control, I'll force them to salute you. Those who do not, are too strong of mind to be manipulated by my skill. Therefore, they will be dangerous. To keep you clear of any attack, I can force the puppets to attack their own - hopefully. Sometimes, doing so become a problem if their loyalty to whom they stand against is stronger than my manipulation. Again, another danger."

She tried to relay all she knew of her abilities, to give her guard an advantage. Of all her possibilities, there were far too many impossibilities that must be addressed before attempting anything such as this - especially when another party is involved. Vivian stepped to the large, muggy window, seeing several bodies standing near the door but no more. She figured others were under shadow - waiting. With a nod towards her companion, she lifted her chin and stepped outside. She walked towards down the street, heading towards the road her party intended to travel. The stalkers followed, moving at a rapid pace to catch up with her. She didn't look over her shoulder until one of them coughed and called to her.

"M'Lady, I hope you've stepped out here alone to discuss the terms of your donation with us," the larger man sneered. "Your decision is wise, but stupid at the same time. Therefore, you should make amends by handing over your coins - and then your skirts. We'll manage
negotiations elsewhere." The other two men chuckled, circling her as they waited for her response.

Vivian stood her ground and concentrated on the two men behind her while she faced the talker. "Wise...to choose to work with you on this forced investment. Stupid...for doing so alone when I was among friends inside. Well Sir, you're assumptions about both are flawed, for I'm not here to negotiate, nor am I alone. You've also assumed three against one lone woman was - wise... I find that flawed as well."

As the men made joke of her words, Vivian dug deeper to fight against the resistance she felt from one mind behind her; yet, began to tease and delight the second, slowly taking hold of his will.

She would cross her arms and followed the others into the basement. The drow made her feel uncomfortable, but so did most elves. However, she crossed her arms and dealt with it. The illusionist was best left alone without a hulking goblinoid lurking behind her. Sashral did worry and closed her eyes, trying to listen to what Vivian was doing.

The men's words worried her a bit and made her pissed off. Every fiber in her body was telling her to run out there and murder them, she could take them on. Her breathing was getting a bit heavy and her face flushed as she tries to control her murderous rage. Her teeth grinded together and she paced around, trying to calm down while who-knows-what is happening with Vivian.

The man adjusted the position of his hood over his eyes to ensure that he made no eye contact with the thugs whatsoever. He distanced himself a little from Lady Vivian, for the sole purpose to allow her to prove her abilities to him. He was interested in the extent of her powers as an illusionist, so he planned to give her some space to perform her skill. He could only wonder if she was as good as he believed she was. Hopefully. The other two hooded people approached him, standing behind him as they had before, with their obscured eyes fixed intently on the woman.

"What are you planning, brother?" said the hooded figure on his right.

"Wait," the man said, a small smile forming on his lips. "You'll see soon enough."

Sashral shakes her head and leaves the basement from the other side, the others' following close behind the bugbear. However, when they reached the road, they would meet up with four more thugs, their weapons pointed at the group. A tall, lanky bandit holding a greatsword would smile and walk up to the bugbear, his blade pointed her thick-skinned neck. "Whatdya have 'ere? A lady bugbear? Why nae just hand yourself over and we can just take your money in peace? I'm sure we can work somethin' out."

Her glare would say everything for her as she makes a swiping slash at his throat with her claws, causing the man to drop to the ground, slowly bleeding out. The other thugs, would charge forward, slashing at Sashral, but she only suffered minor scratches as she leaped back to unsheathe her pitchfork. The thugs would start to split up, one going for Toma, the other going for the Colette, and the unlucky last one going for Sashral.

Unfortunately, the white mage tried fighting her best, but the thug was able to shrug off each hit she took and dish out twice as much with her cworn sword. The blade would enter her chest and pierce the heart, causing her to fall limb on the cutlass, dropping her weapon to the ground.

Toma was having issues with his scoundrel, but the other way around was true as well. This rogue was a small fellow, only being 5'1, but quite dexterious. His daggers would parry some attacks made from Toma, and some attacks made some nasty gashes. However, the same was true for Toma. However, the thief was able to kill the rogue. If he wasn't slowly bleeeding out.

The one facing Sashral was a half-orc, with small tusks half the size of Sashral's. Being bigger than the three, he held a nasty flail. He would swing his weapon at the bugbear's shoulder, causing her to drop the pitchfork with that hand and some of her clothing to rip. However, only some of the spikes on the flail pierced her skin by not a lot, causing only minor wounds. Sashral made a bloodcurling scream as she digged her pitchfork' into the half-orc's gut, ripping out chunks of meat as it came back out. He went off balance and fell over and gave an evil smile. "Think about what you did wrong." Her pitchfork would be thrusted into his face, instantly killing him.

"You've got some nerve, woman!" the leader growled, pulling out a rather mean looking butcher knife - tagging his past profession. "Just hand over the bag and let's get this over with."

Suddenly, the abductor on the left began to chuckle to himself, breaking off with wide eyes as if he wasn't sure if he heard himself correctly. Vivian dug deeper again, and he's eyes glazed over with a fit of giggles taking over his body. He wrapped his arms around himself, holding his gut as he doubled over. The delights she conjured up from his childhood memories were so sweet, they even brought a smile to her face; she had to use them.

"Korin, what'cha doing? This isn't the time for jokes!"

Caught in her snare, Korin continued to laugh himself hysterical, falling to his back with a kick of his heels. The man to her right stood solid, unable to move for he watched through his eyes something strange going on with his leader - something far too odd for words. Vivian was struggling to take over his mind; therefore, she decided to confuse his eyes instead.

The leader looked up, "Maxum! Don't just stand there, pick 'em up, will ya!"

"But Jebik, what in the hell is that behind you!" The other man drew a short sword from his side and began to slowly stalk whatever it was he saw behind Jebik.

"Maxum, there's nothing behind me, just stay with the girl!" Before he had a chance to say anything else, Jebik lunged out at him - or behind him - attacking the creature that he saw stalking his friend. "What the HELL! Maxum, what the blazes are ya doing?"

Jebik continued to step away from his friend's vain attacks, but quick and determined to save his friend from the monster preparing to devour him, Maxum stayed vigilant in his attacks. "Don't worry, Jebik! I'll kill 'em fast, get 'em off ya back. Just stay calm so I don't cut'cha!" He lashed out again, hitting his target.

"AAAHHHH, MAXUM!" His target, in his mind, were the tentacles wrapped around his friend's arms. But, what he actually hit instead was Jebik's actual arm. Screaming out in an angry fit of pain and frustrations, the leader continued to lash out towards his friend, trying to stop him with counter attacks. But Maxum's fight continued on, for all he saw was the monster attacking him.

Vivian drew back towards the back of the tavern, keeping her eyes on the crazy scene she just created. The more Jebik screamed as Maxum continued to hack, and Korin still laughed and laughed - about to run completely out of oxygen for he hadn't been able to take a deep breath since he started. "That'll hold them for a while." One's going to kill the other, and one's going to laugh himself to death. The last standing can be managed by her companion. Vivian glanced up to see if her companion was nearby, but before she could find anyone, someone stepped behind her and wrapped her up into their strong arm and placed their hand over her eyes.

"Best for you to not see what ya doing, right?" the haunting voice announced.

Vivian tried to fight out of the stranger's embrace, but he held her far too tightly. Without her eyes, she had trouble focusing on her targets, one of her limitations with her skills she still needs work in. Apparently, this person figured out what she was, and decided to use one of the basic methods for slowing an illusionist down - take away their eyes.

"Now, you're worth a pretty penny in the markets. If Jebik doesn't survive your little game, I'll just have to sell you in the Trades myself."

"Ohh, ale! I don't think the owner would mind if we take a few samples, eh?" Axin began to gather up a few bottles, tucking them into the large satchel that hung from his shoulder, but Trae stopped him.

"We're only takin' what's not claimed, pal. If ya wanna start stealing, might as well return to you ship."

The pirate huffed and dropped the bottles before returning to the line heading out the attic door. However, when they reached the road, there were four more thugs with weapons pointed at the group.

"Oh, this is not what we had in mind," Markus stated, looking around to his friends as they all spread out to, hopefully, get out of this ambush. Looking over at Pieter and Trae, he nodded to see where they stood. His eyes then fell upon Collette, Toma, Axin, and Serei. He hadn't seen what they were capable of and feared for their lives. Emma and Sashral were somewhat of an exception, but at this point he didn't have time to assess everyone's skills. The fight was on before words of diplomacy could be exchanged.

A tall, lanky bandit holding a greatsword would smile and walk up to the bugbear, his blade pointed her thick-skinned neck. "Whatdya have 'ere? A lady bugbear? Why nae just hand yourself over and we can just take your money in peace? I'm sure we can work somethin' out."

Sashral didn't wait for a word from their appointed leader; her natural instincts took over and she clawed the man's throat out with one swipe; freaking everyone out as the man dropped to the ground. His partners growled and shouted a mad roar as they all attacked at once. Markus and Axin rushed in to fight against one of the larger
opponent attacking Toma, and Pieter and Trae followed Collette as she faced another. The last thug charged at Sashral,

Unfortunately, the white mage tried fighting her best, but the thug was able to shrug off each hit she took and dish out twice as much with her sword. Trae and Pieter tried his best to defend her, but the attacker's blade marked her chest and she fell. Angry with fury, Trae took the opportunity to jump upon the man's back as he withdrew his blade from the mage, and just as quickly pummeled his head with his hammer; opening it up for him to fall for his transgressions.

When Toma fell, Markus and Axin both fought the attacker with their equal strengths, but Axin was far too immature in this two on one fight. He kept jumping before Markus to give out hits, rather than working with him to give their opponent hell. Axin ended up with an ax in his back, and Markus- with various wounds bruising him, rushed in to slit his opponent's throat.

Sashral managed to end the half-orc she faced, digging her pitchfork' into the half-orc's gut, ripping out chunks of meat as it came back out. Markus scanned over the damaged, counting down his friends, seeing who they loss, but one was missing. Serei was no where to be found - alive or dead. "Where's Serei?" Just then, two loud screams broke through the silence - one coming from the left from where Vivian was located, and the other from the right towards the docks. "Vivian and Serei are both in trouble! We've got to help them."

"That stranger and his friends are with Vivian," Trae reminded. "Emma and I can go check to see if they're okay."

Markus nodded, "Pieter, Sashral, and I can search for Serei." They all split up. Trae checked over the bodies of their fallen friends, giving them respect and collecting their weapons, before him and Emma slipped around to the side of the tavern to witness what was happening there.

Serei followed behind the group as she watched they advanced through the basement's tunnel towards the exit. She was the last out, staying far behind enough to just hear their conversations. Her eyes widened as she watched Sashral slash one of the ruffians in the throat. His blood flew to the side and he dropped to the floor like a piece of dirt. She couldn't believe that she had spent time in the company of somebody who would kill so mercilessly and quickly, without a thought. She drew her dagger, but was stunned again to see a tall thug parry Colette's brave attempts to defeat him and carve through her chest with his sword. Colette's cutlass slipped from her grasp and she gracefully slided backwards, out of the blade, and downwards onto the floor. Trae was fuelled with anger, leaping onto the man's back and beating him over his head with his hammer, and he managed to smash through the skull, which violently exploded with blood. Serei turned back and fled as fast as she could, not wanting to see the others meet the same fate. She knew she wasn't an experienced fighter and if these people could die so easily, what hope would stand for her? Running was something she knew very well how to do. She turned her head back once, to see a bandit burying his heavy axe deep into Axin's spine, his face filled with anguish as he collapsed to the ground, and she let out a high-pitched scream.

He watched one of the thugs fall to the ground, hysterical, and knew immediately what Lady Vivian had planned. The other bandit began to slash at his startled friend, as if there had been a large monster approaching, and he could hardly fight back as he was cut up by his own friend. The hooded man was amused, much to his companions' confusion, by the fact that Lady Vivian, although well-skilled in her illusions, made no attempt to be subtle. She fixed her eyes on those whose minds she attempted to control and didn't attempt to hide her gaze in any way - her hand, her expression, anything. To the untrained eye, she would have just been watching the events take place, but if you knew to focus on the tiny details such as the lack of surprise on her face or the passion burning in her eyes, you would know. He watched a fourth and larger man walk towards Lady Vivian from behind and place his hand over her eyes. This was interesting. It seemed that somebody had been able to tell after all. He had no choice, without her eyes, Lady Vivian would be unable to continue to manipulate the other thugs as effectively. The hooded man approached the pair and said, "You would trade such a powerful mind for coins?"

The thug turned to look at him, and he smiled. He had, by now, reached within an arm's length of the dangerous man, and he looked deep into his eyes. He knew that his beaked hood would shield his eyes from the views of any onlookers. He placed a single hand on the arm of the thug which was tightly wrapped around Lady Vivian's abdomen. He knew that the man couldn't use either of his arms to keep him away otherwise Lady Vivian would be freed from his grasp, and if he tried to kick him, he would be left off-balance and be much easier to take down. The thug stared back into his eyes.

"What are you looking at, scum? I'll tear you limb from limb," the thug growled, but his throat suddenly became dry and he paused.

The thug's eyes began to narrow and his head began to tilt, but he battered his eyelids repeatedly in an attempt to keep them open and aware. Just as in dreams, when sleep pushes down on the eyes at night, you seem to want to extend your keen vigil only to succumb in the middle of your efforts. The tongue tries to speak, but the body doesn't suffice as usual, and neither words nor voice follow. The hooded man pressed his nails even harder into the thug's arm, until his head dropped onto Lady Vivian's shoulder and both of his arms collapsed loosely to his side. Quickly, he moved himself behind the thug and placed his hand over the man's closed eyes, slowly lowering his sluggish body to the ground, as if he was trying to be respectful to the ruffian. With Lady Vivian freed now, he drew a long and narrow knife from his sleeve and slowly buried it into the man's chest. As the man's body jerked, his mouth opened a little to let out a line of blood from the corner of his mouth, and he became completely still and lifeless. The hooded man stood up and made a small gesture over the corpse.

"Ille princepsque erat coelum filius, et filius hominis postea. Ad deos, quaeso, illi sit iurgum. Permittere eum spiritum ad dandique," he said softly and calmly, closing his eyes, before turning to Lady Vivian. "Put them out of their misery."

Vivian could only stand and watch...watch as the stranger acting upon his pledge to assist her friends with a respectable malice one would assume to be the habits of a Paladin...with an assassin's point of view. But what she believed she saw was something unique, just as rare as her own skill. She wasn't sure if the hooded man tapped a pressure point of some kind, or manipulated her abductor's mind just as skillfully as she would. Regardless of which method he utilized, her abductor didn't know what hit him... Actually, nothing physically hit him at all.

She began to feel the putrid body behind her sway and the arms around her tightly gripped to force her to take a step back; straining to catch her breath from the pressure around her diaphragm. The man behind her grunted slightly, almost sounded more like a yawn to her, but she soon realized that the sounds coming from the man were more strained; he was struggling to maintain his consciousness. His arms eventually broke from its initial task, falling away from her. Unsure if she should move, Vivian carefully stepped away and turned to find her cloaked companion standing behind the man, lowering his unconscious body to the ground with as much care as a mother would when tucking her child to bed. He kneel, and with a single knife stopped his heart.

Vivian looked away this time, for the sight of blood was not appealing to her regardless of whom it belongs to. She closed her eyes, feeling more of a strain to hold the binds she held upon the two abductors still acting within their personal dramas. (The sight of their act wasn't pleasing to watch as well, for the monster haunting Maxum was now chopped up upon the dust of the road). Her nausea from the fresh blood before her interfered, but she took a deep breath and regained her composure. Then, a prayer caught her attention.

"Ille princepsque erat coelum filius, et filius hominis postea. Ad deos, quaeso, illi sit iurgum. Permittere eum spiritum ad dandique,"

Her familiararity with languages wasn't as well as it once was, traveling abroad on this mission of her kept her away from her daily teachings from her professor. Regardless of her lack there of, and the years that erased most of what there use to be, Vivian recognized the prayer as on often recites to respect the dead.

Her eyes held the image of the dead man - why? That was all that was on her mind at that point - why attempt such a thing? This couldn't be about the thickness of her coin purse! Did they know who she was, or was there someone else within the group who's reputation proceeds them? Now, they'll never know.

"Put them out of their misery."

She broke from her thoughts and looked up at the mysterious man, only nodded in response and gathering herself as she stepped closer to the remaining two abductors. The strong scent of blood in that area was remarkably toxic. She covered her nose with her cloak sleeve, only going as far as her stomach would allow. Watching the laughing man gasp in between over-active chuckles, Vivian quickly forced him to wrap his hands around his neck to end his cackles for good. That was two down. The last, suffering from hallucinations, she just released him. He lost all understanding of what had happen to his friends. Seeing the blood on his hands and the knife held by it, all he had the mentality to do was to slit his own throat. Vivian turned away from that too. She cared not to take a life, but there were times such as these when there were more in stake than that one, threatening life. But what a person does after her attention to their nightmares has been released...she had no control of.

Turning back to the hooded man, Vivian sighed, "I hope...the others are okay, or this was all in vain." Looking over the man's shoulders, she saw Trae and Emma rushing from around the tavern's back, stopping as soon as their eyes saw the damage left behind them.

"Are you guys okay?" Trae questioned, his eyes glancing over Vivian before falling to the bodies scattered on the road. "I would ask who's work is who's, but the time for my antics is not now. We were ambushed as well, and lost many."

Last edited:
Sashral would grit her teeth as she charged towards where she heard Serei's scream. Her steps were surprisingly muffled, showing off the goblinoid's silent movements. "Miss Serei, please come back! The fighting is over with!" The badass who kicked ass and took names was gone now, and it was back to the meek and quiet women who spent her entire life in servitude. She would stop running and walk around, using her hearing, vision, and sense of smell to track the missing girl.

Pieter kept his mouth shut when Vivian asked for fighters. He knew he was no warrior. The tailor was uneasy around this particular stranger, and he became increasingly uneasy when Vivian offered herself as a target.

"She must have some skill in evasion or...well, she eluded to it," Pieter thought, wondering whether he would be a liability if he offered to be a decoy with her. He felt a little guilty about not trying to save future victims.

If one were being victimized at this second, he would probably intervene, no matter how foolhardy a move for someone with little to no fighting experience. But to risk his life for a possibility? If he survived, how many more possibilities must he fight? To Pieter, the possibility that these men would attack again was akin to the possibility that someone would cheat at cards. Should a tailor accost and reprimand a man for a future deed? To fight possibilities was an impossible way to live.

Pieter turned back to watch Vivian go as he made his way into the basement, leaving him at the tail end of the group. As they exited the passage, bandits fell upon them! Everything happened too quickly, and before Pieter could react both Colette and Toma were dead.

As the bandits closed in on those remaining, Pieter bolted. He ran about two stone-throws away, then fell to his knees beside a scraggly bush, begging himself to stand and return. This was the second time today flight-or-flight had kicked in. The first time, it has been to save a woman. This time, it had been to save himself.

After a couple of minutes and some heavy breathing, Pieter stood and ashamedly returned to his friends, hoping the rest had made it out safely. "It would have been better to confront them all head-on," he thought, "then maybe more of us would have lived. What is so precious about my life that I would value it over theirs?"

"You have only Lady Vivian to thank for this. I am sorry for your losses," he said, looking at both the drow and the young girl. "However tragic their deaths may seem, it was only inevitable that some would fall. All that matters is that those of you who have survived have done so. I believe that we should begin by gathering all of your surviving companions, Lady Vivian." He walked forwards until he was side by side with her, and then faintly smiled at her, with a gentle nod of his head to show his condolensces but also to show his respect. "I knew that you were an illusionist, but I was unaware to the extent of your ablities. I have to say that I was very surprised by your advanced level of skill, especially for a woman of your young age. I haven't seen someone with such potential so young before, but there is still so much room for improvement and untapped potential within you yet. I wish to help you achieve that but before you decide on anything, you're probably wondering who I am. We can discuss this further once we see to it that your acquaintances are safe." He then began to walk in the direction in which the drow had just rushed from, saying nothing more as he wandered off.

Serei could hear Sashral call after her, claiming that the fighting was done, but she kept on moving. She didn't care - she couldn't care. It wasn't the first fight she had seen in that day, but the mercilessness she had just witnessed could not be explained. Her own friends whom she had only just made and spent less than a few hours in the presence of so far had just been butchered in front of her own two eyes, and their corpses were left on the floor, discarded, like pieces of dead meat hung to dry. The fury in their eyes. Serei kept her pace as she dodged trees and outstretched branches in an attempt to get away, but soon enough, she realised she couldn't keep on going. Each step took away a little more of her breath until, eventually, she had none left. She quickly threw herself behind the thick trunk of a large oak tree, sliding in the leaves for a few seconds, before completely stopping and holding her exhausted breath. She could only hope that Sashral and the others would leave her alone now. She had nothing to lose now, but she had nothing to give either. Serei lifted her right hand and looked long and hard at the dagger she was holding. Wrapping both of her hands around the handle, she rose the dagger into the air in front of her. Her cheeks were wet with tears already, and now her vision was cloudy and the sound around her had droned out. Her hand shook violently as she contemplated ending her life then and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Who has fallen, Trae?" When the Drow announced which members of their small group lost their lives, Vivian closed her eyes with a heavy-hearted sigh. Her efforts did no good after all, for these local ruffians were not of the regular variety. That, she feared.

"You have only Lady Vivian to thank for this. I am sorry for your losses," the cloaked stranger said, looking at both the drow and the young girl. "However tragic their deaths may seem, it was only inevitable that some would fall. All that matters is that those of you who have survived have done so. I believe that we should begin by gathering all of your surviving companions, Lady Vivian."

Rubbing her temples, Vivian nodded weakly, "Yes, we should. I have a feeling there's more to this attack than the need for coins. We should leave quickly."

Trae nodded and headed back to the others. "Lady Vivian and the cloaked stranger were successful," he announced to Pieter and the others still present. "They've made a clear path for us to leave. I suggest we take it quickly."

Vivian's steps were slow and wobbly, but she tried to maintain herself for the sake of the others. She didn't feel safe there to stay and rest for a second. They needed to move on.

"I knew that you were an illusionist, but I was unaware to the extent of your abilities," the cloaked gentleman announced as he matched her stride beside her.

She shook her head, "It's becoming apparent to me that I'm not hiding my skills well. Too many people have figured the same."

"I have to say that I was very surprised by your advanced level of skill, especially for a woman of your young age. I haven't seen someone with such potential so young before, but there is still so much room for improvement and untapped potential within you yet. I wish to help you achieve that but before you decide on anything, you're probably wondering who I am."

Shocked at the man's words, Vivian could only look up with a befuddled nod of her head, "Yes, knowing the name of one who seems to have such an understanding about me, is quite a wonder."

"We can discuss this further once we see to it that your acquaintances are safe." He then began to walk in the direction in which the drow had just rushed from, saying nothing more as he wandered off.

Her feet seem to slow down with each step as she watched the cloaked figure turn the corner of the building to find her friends. He was a mystery that raised alarms as well as curiosity. Was he some sort of teacher, or master of some sorts? Or is he someone her instructor has warned her to avoid during this quest of hers? She wasn't sure. Instantly her hand reached into her cloak pocket, finding the warm sphere within it - a maternal habit of double checking to see if all was well. With a sigh of relief and a final moment to catch her breath, Vivian followed the man's footprints around the building to pay her respects to her fallen companions.

After the group collected what they could from the dead, knowing they'll need all they can to continue on in their journey, they quickly checked over their numbers. Trae looked towards Markus and Pieter, "Wait, where's Sashral and Serei? Should we search for them on our way out?"

Sashral would sigh and look around some more, calling out for her. She was about to give up on looking for her. Her companions were probably looking for her as we speak but she did not want to leave the girl away. With a sigh, she would shout out politely "Please come out Sirei!" Afterwards, her breathing would get heavy as she made her last search. If she didn't come out, she would probably head back to her companions and see if Sirei came out or she would not come back. She did not think guilty of a single action of her's. It was necessary and justified.

Reactions: Phi Chisym
As he reached the others, he couldn't help but to take a second to respect the dead on both sides of the confrontation. He then turned to look at who was gathered there. Lady Vivian, the drow boy, and a few of the other survivors were still alive, however, he was sure there had been another girl somewhere, plus the bugbear had also disappeared to some place else. Without speaking, he headed off towards the mass of trees where he could spot a goblinoid figure looking around for something, or someone. He slowly approached her and then, once he was standing by her side, let out a soft and quiet sigh. He remained silent for a moment, but the sound of a twig snapping a little while ahead alerted him to the girl's presence.

"Come quietly," he whispered to the bugbear as he closed into the girl's location.

A trickle of thick crimson blood flowed from Serei's neck, with the tip of the dagger covered by just a droplet of the red liquid. The dagger was on the floor beside her now, and her cheeks were completely damp due to the tears which flooded from her eyes. She shivered a little, as the breeze on her skin seemed to feel like a thousand little blades picking at her flesh. She felt a hand gently find its place on her shoulder, and slowly turned her head to look. It was the cloaked man from the tavern who had formulated their escape plan. Sashral was close behind him, and another shiver ran through her spine.

"Hello there," the man smiled as he knelt down to look into her eyes. "What is your name?"

"Serei," she managed to utter, through teary gulps. Her eyes glanced fearfully towards Sashral and she stiffened up. He gradually turned his head to meet what her eyes were glaring at. He then turned back to her and smiled again.

"You don't have to be afraid of us, Serei," he said in a comforting tone, lowering his head. "What you may have seen today was necessary to be done. This lady here just saved your life. You don't need to fear her."

Serei averted her glance from Sashral to look at the man. She then carefully lifted the dagger from beside her and held it out to the man for him to take. His eyes showed a combination of sorrow and guilt, for he was saddened to see the young girl suffer through this ordeal. He took the dagger from her and then discarded it behind him, taking her hand instead. She allowed him to lift her up to her feet.

"Come with us," he said to her, as he looked into her eyes. Serei said nothing, but nodded her head in agreement. She knew she couldn't be alone now. If there were more thugs ahead, they could protect her. At least until the opportunity arose to escape safely. The man stood up himself and began the distant walk back to the group. Serei followed closely behind him.

• Love
As she looked down upon Serei, she would frown a little at the sight of her being scared. This is what she wanted to avoid after all, being hated by the civilized races. Sashral would stay silent as to not say anything to upset the terrified woman any more than she was already, but there was the burning desire to ask her what she did wrong. She wanted to improve her ability to survive, and part of doing that is not embracing her wild side that has been cooped up so long by the bindings of slavery.

As she began to walk back in the two's shadows, she thought about asking for one of the thugs' weapons. Her rusty pitchfork was not going to help much and would break any time now. However, for now, she did not want to seem obsessed with death. Sure, she can handle it but that's only because of what she's been through and she will have to go through in the future.

Reactions: Kinton Nyr
With Serei close to him, he eventually made the brief journey back to the group. He smiled as he stepped aside so that the others could see that he and Sashral had successfully recovered the girl. His other two companions were nowhere to be seen, and had most likely headed back into the tavern. He turned to the leader and nodded his head respectfully.

"Is this all of you who have survived?" he inquired.

The group scattered for a few moments, searching behind the tavern to see if Serei happen to be hiding. Vivian kept her place, trying to keep an eye out for any more assailants attempting to harm her friends. They returned with no luck.

"Perhaps she's just run off." Trae stated, "I would too if I felt overwhelmed by all of this."

Markus nodded, "I hope for that scenario than the latter." Vivian's eyes fell upon the covered bodies of their lost and nodded in agreement. She rather see that young girl safely run away for home than stand to fall like the others.

"Ahh," Trae exclaimed as he looked up. Vivian did the same. The cloaked stranger was returning with a smile, with Sashral and Serei at tow.

"Serei!" Vivian cheered as all that remained of their party circled them. Her eyes instantly saw the light cut upon the girl's neck and before she could say anything against her actions, Vivian had pulled out an handkerchief from her cloak, added a drop or two of an essence oil, and applied it to the wound. "It's laventine, a flower from my homeland whose oils promote rapid healing and pain relief. It'll help - just hold it there."

"Is this all of you who have survived?" the cloaked one inquired.

Markus nodded with a heavy sigh, "Yes, all who have survived," he repeated. "Now, let's get out of here, so our numbers can remain the same." He raised his arm to the cloaked stranger. "You are still unknown to us, but have gained our trust through your help. You and your friends are welcome to join us, Sir; if you care to. We're only humble travelers seeking something better."

He listened to the words of the leader as he thanked him, but rose a single hand to respectfully refuse his kind words. He slowly lowered his hand to his side and fixed his gaze once more on the drow boy, then the bugbear, then Serei and finally upon Lady Vivian. He smiled to each of them before returning his attention to the leader and his friend. Serei managed to muster a small smile towards Markus and Pieter too, before taking a grip of the oiled handkerchief from Vivian and holding it in place on the wound. She remained by Vivian's side as the taller man lowered his hood again, revealing his short dark hair.

"As much as I would like to take you up on that offer, my role in things here is complete," the man spoke plainly, as he placed his hands together and bowed his head. "As I said before, I have no grand name of worth to impress the likes of you, but I am known as Simon Ashstill to those who are close to me. I am called an illusionist by some, a trickster by others and even a witch by the superstitious. However, it is of no concern. For the time being I will be unable to accompany you due to an obligation I must fulfil, yet in the future, if all is well, I intend to seek you out and help you again. Farewell."

Markus nodded and gave Simon a hearty farewell handshake, "To the future then."

The others gave their farewells and thank yous before Simon departed. Vivian stood shocked, but understanding; she had her own obligations to fulfill as well and might have to consider departing too, if she concludes that her presence with this group was dangerous to them. She wasn't for sure as of yet, but never again did she wish to see others fall. Regardless of her thoughts on that matter, what Simon revealed to her earlier had her consciousness pulling her in two. He is an illusionist - and obviously one much stronger than her. She had an opportunity to learn more about her skills if she traveled with him. But, not only was that a selfish quest, going against her more important one, the idea of leaving this ragtag group that befriended her felt wrong as well.

"So, what should we do now?" Trae mumbled, recounting the heads of their shrunken group.

Markus sighed, "First, let's just get out of this place, find a safe place to rest for the night and mend our wounds. From there, we'll head for the Fort - and hope nothing else stops us."

Last edited:
Pieter followed quietly behind the others. Vivian reached into her pocket. "She must be making sure her money is still there," Pieter thought. The girl didn't seem alarmed when she took her hand out; she must still have it. It didn't hurt to make sure; any one of those thugs could have been a pickpocket.

The drow asked where the bugbear and Serei were, and Pieter turned his head to view their surroundings. They didn't need to search, though, as the strange man soon returned with their missing companions.

"...I am known as Simon Ashstill...I am called an illusionist by some, a trickster by others and even a witch by the superstitious." It was better to know the name of the man who had helped them, but a trickster? A witch? Perhaps he was just an illusionist like Vivian; Vivian was okay. Still, Pieter was a bit relieved when Simon said he had other obligations. The tailor nodded "goodbye" as Simon left, then turned his attention to the remaining party. Vivian, Trae, Markus, the bugbear...her name escaped him. There were six of them now. Wasn't that how they had started?

"First, let's just get out of this place, find a safe place to rest for the night and mend our wounds. From there, we'll head for the Fort - and hope nothing else stops us," said Markus.

"The roads get little travel these days," Pieter put in as the group headed off, "I don't expect we'll find trouble once we're out of sight of the town."

"The roads get little travel these days," Pieter spoke, "I don't expect we'll find trouble once we're out of sight of the town."

"Sounds good to me," Trae responded as he strapped his hammer back onto his pack. "Any place is better than here."

Vivian nodded, glancing towards everyone in their group. Trae, Markus, Pieter, Emma, Serei, & Sashral; they all looked beat and tired. She wasn't doing so good herself after exerting so much energy, but they needed to move on regardless of their pains. With a heavy sigh, she gathered her cloak around her, "I'll share my healing herbs and oils to anyone who needs the assistance. Anything to help us make it through to safety. Until then, lead the way, Markus."

"To Fort Hendrei - another full day's travel and we should be there. Do we have enough provisions to make it fine? Everyone check your wares. If we must purchase more, hopefully there's a few shops still open. Night has fallen - we'll grab what we need quickly and move on."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.