Disruption in the Order

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Shizaya chuckled.
"You're mom is also American. Eating with your fingers is not recommended, but it doesn't bother my family. I'll bet your mom thinks burping is rude too, huh?" he said, face returning to it's usual expression again.

"Indeed she does," he admitted. "So does my dad, surprisingly, you should've seen last time I let one slip." Brendan laughed gently. "Anyway, as long as your family doesn't mind, I'll go ahead and eat with my hands."

"No, they know you don't know how to use chopsticks, and there is no sign of a fork or spoon in this house. And make sure you burp. It's respectful, otherwise my mother will think you didn't like the cooking. Oh, and don't worry about slurping the food. That's fine too. You Americans have such weird manners," he said lightly, obviously just teasing Brendan. He got up and walked to the door.
"See you at dinner."

Brendan gave him a thumbs up and leaned back, laughing gently. "Gotcha Shizaya. Say, do you have a nickname I can call you by?" he asked, smiling.

Shizaya glared slightly.
"No, you don't. If you pick up on my mothers nicknames, I'll kill you. I do own a samurai sword, and I can kill you in your sleep. These doors don't lock," he pointed out, only partially joking.
"No nicknames," he said, quickly walking out.

Brendan stared blankly after him, putting a hand up on his chest. He took a deep breath. "Mental note," he said quietly, "No nicknames for Shizaya."

Shizaya walked to his room, opening the rice paper door and walking in before sliding it shut. He walked over to his desk and opened his laptop, logging into his email to check that account quickly before dinner.

Brendan stood up and paced around the room a little. It was a very nice set-up, making him wish his home wasn't so boring. After a while, he stepped out of the room and leaned against a wall, waiting for Shizaya.

Shizaya finished on his laptop and just watched the time. Once he figured it was about time to go down, he opened the door, seeing Brendan.
"How long have you been standing there?" he asked, turning down the hall and walking towards the main room of the house.

Brendan followed him, smiling. "Maybe... Five or ten minutes," he replied after thinking for a bit.

"Why? You could've done something else," he pointed out with a slight laugh.

Brendan smiled a little and closed his eyes. "Like what?" he asked.

"Read, computer... shogi," he said, shrugging as he glanced in the kitchen, seeing his mother laying out the last bits of the large colorful tray. There was plenty food for the four of them.
"Oh, one last thing. Before you eat, say itadakimasu, and bow a little." he said quickly, going over to the low table and sitting on one of the pillows.

"Shogi...?" he repeated as he followed. He nodded and gave Shizaya a thumbs up. "Itadakimasu, bow, gotcha!" he said. He nodded politely and smiled at Shizaya's mother as he looked at the food she had set out. He sat down at the small table and folded his hands in his lap.

When Shizaya's father finally entered the room, the three grabbed their chopsticks, folded their hands together with the stick clasped between them, and said itadakimasu, with a short bow. Then they reached in and expertly picked up the sushi and put it on their plates.

Brendan hurriedly did the same thing, minus grabbing the chop-sticks. He sat frozen for a few moments, waiting as they put the food on their own plates, wondering how he would pull this off. His mind raced with possibilities of accidentally doing something rude, making him freeze up even more.

Shizaya turned his chop stick around, poking Brendan with the side he wouldn't be eating with.
"Relax. You're shaking. They know you're going to eat with your fingers. They don't care," he said out loud, knowing it wasn't a big secret at all.

He smiled a little. "I know..." he murmured gently. Brendan took a deep breath and smiled politely at Shizaya's parents. He leaned over and picked up a piece of sushi, popping it into his mouth. All the while, a dark red had tinged his cheeks.

Shizaya noticed the blush. He couldn't help but smile a little bit, though he hide it by eating a piece of sushi so he didn't smile. When he finished that he drank some of his water and finished his meal fairly slowly.
"So, Brendan, how come we've never heard of you before?" Shizaya's father asked in absolute fluent english.

Brendan froze up again, looking down. "Um... Well..." he looked to Shizaya for a moment, then turned away. "To tell you the truth sir, I haven't really spoken to Shizaya much before today," he admitted.