Darkened Skies; Dead Mans Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah sorry, got up not to long ago so I was a bit out of it.

Basically I am doing some guess work when it comes to the range of the railgun. From what I have found the railgun can launch projectiles at over mach 7 (speeds of mach 10 have been achieved). At mach 7, and with smaller projectiles, the railgun can pack the same punch as a 5" naval gun, which is accurate to about 13 nmi, but it has a much greater range than the naval gun because it can fire things at a much greater velocity. Now as of now the projectiles of a railgun (without the ability to change course) can hit fast moving missiles at a maximum range of about 35 miles. Now since this is a sci-fi rp I am working under the assumption that there have been some serious advancements in our weapons systems. So in reality I am probably selling this weapon a bit short range wise.

And to go off of Hellis is saying, if the lighter mechs triangulate a target the might be out of my mech's normal line of site the potential for hitting these far away targets is huge.
And then you get into the idea of combining propulsion systems like rail+combustion or rail+rocket. XD

You actually have to be really careful when it comes to combing railguns and combustion as the the force of launch and the method by which it is being fired can cause it to explode as it is being fired.

But now that I am thinking of it you could have a rather interesting little situation involving the triangulation of a target and the firing of the railgun. Might have to message it to you @Hellis if you want to hear it.

Im going to be that guy, the one every FOO hates.

"G11 Fire Mission"

"Go ahead."

"Fire Mission
Grid 1234 5678
1300 mils, 50 meters
Single pers. Dug in.
Neutralize
ASAP
Over"

"42C this is G11, you're fucked. Out."

That's an actual fire mission format too. *proud*

• Useful
Reactions: E.T.
I just want to post in regards to your mech @Potatocat , and in no way do I mean to offend, somply some fun facts.

A 40mm gatling gun isn't particularly viable with a 4.5 meter mech (maybe it is, but to me the math seems weird). The A10 'cock and balls' (warthog) is built around the frame of the Gau8, which is a 25mm gatling gun. If the plane doesn't have a steep downward momentum, it will take the plane from 350km/h to dead on the ground because of recoil. A 40mm Bofors averages around 120 to 330 rpm as comparison to an actual 40mm gun that's been tried and tested. If you fire that thing at full force of 4200rpm the recoil would be unfathomable in my opinion.
Uhhm...
Not quite correct.

The GAU-8 fires 30x173mm ammunition, not 25mm. 25mm is used by the GAU-12, on Harriers.

Secondly, is that the A-10 will not fall to the ground because of the gun's recoil. The gun maxes out at about the same amount of thrust as one, of the two engines the plane has.

Sorry to be that guy.

Im going to be that guy, the one every FOO hates.

"G11 Fire Mission"

"Go ahead."

"Fire Mission
Grid 1234 5678
1300 mils, 50 meters
Single pers. Dug in.
Neutralize
ASAP
Over"

"42C this is G11, you're fucked. Out."

That's an actual fire mission format too. *proud*
I can just imagine the artillery operators. "Damn this freaking ass keeps calling in strikes on single targets... from a battery of twelve ten inch guns!"

Uhhm...
Not quite correct.

The GAU-8 fires 30x173mm ammunition, not 25mm. 25mm is used by the GAU-12, on Harriers.

Secondly, is that the A-10 will not fall to the ground because of the gun's recoil. The gun maxes out at about the same amount of thrust as one, of the two engines the plane has.

Sorry to be that guy.
Yes. I believe you are correct, but still more than a 4.5 meter tall mech can handle... Wait, it maxes out at the thrust of one of the engines? GAU-8 propelled plane anyone? XD

Uhhm...
Not quite correct.

Sorry to be that guy.

Damnit That Guy. Shows me for not questioning people more. I thought the angle of approach thing for the plane was an actual thing though, seeing as most of the videos I've watched of the straffing have had a pretty steep, or seemingly so, angle.

Damnit That Guy. Shows me for not questioning people more. I thought the angle of approach thing for the plane was an actual thing though, seeing as most of the videos I've watched of the straffing have had a pretty steep, or seemingly so, angle.
Approach vectors of steeps angles are for accuracy, I believe. Also less time in close range for people to shoot back at you.

Also, especially in the case of the days of the A-10 going tank hunting, they had to hit the top of the vehicle, to punch through it reliably.

Come in at a shallow angle? rounds are more likely to ricochet off the armour, or hit the stronger sides/rear armour, and just be stopped cold.

I know all about killing armour. That's my bread and butter, also my greatest fear. Tank cook outs are a terrifying thought. Bug (F'thahagar or however they're spelled) cookouts sound ghastly in comparison though. I'm not a fan of the A10's myself though, or much aircraft in general. Likely because I can't imagine a guy shooting them down with a MG and that just doesn't seem right, unless videogames have lied to me all my life.

Most anything that flies could, technically, be shot down with a GPMG. If you had enough ammo, and they were just letting you shoot them, circling above you or something. You'd eventually wreck enough of their controls....

Alright, so we are agreed we are strapping GAU-8s to a mech to make it fly? Good.

IC is currently being written. This has aquired so many players under such a short time <3

Reactions: Crispy
It is a wonderful thing, and on a slightly related note I saw the banner you put up.

Its going up tommorow. We have a heavy infantry guy incoming. The rest will join as we go I reckon

Sweet can't wait to get this rolling!

Time to have Robert make fun out of some of these really unfortunate callsigns. XD

Who you calling unfortunate ya Zombie! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.