Darkened Skies; Dead Mans Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leader is handled trough npc ATM. Bit having a sarge or simi!air to relay orders is good

That's what I meant :P. Not high commander, but a sergeant to yell at folk.

Very much interested. I will start on a CS immediately. Time to make a poor boy go bonkers while piloting a massive hulking mobile weapons platform. ;P Now could you tell me where the IC is? I looked through this but must have missed the link.

• Name: Robert Frost

Callsign; Deadman

Appearance: A slightly taller than average man standing at 6' 1" with wide shoulders and a well toned, if not edging of bulky body. Brown hair buzzed down to the stump and deep brown eyes, that in a certain light have obvious flecks of amber. A clean shaven, square jaw. His hands seem slightly small for his size.

spec_ops_pilot_close_up_by_meganerid-d621fuq.jpg

Brief Background: Nine when the initial invasion occurred, Robert remembers how and when the war began. Being torn away from his family's home. The terror and panic. The death. The years have not been kind. He spent his childhood moving from safe place to safe place as the war raged on, he and his parents moving with other refugees from Western America. The year he turned eighteen, he went to the nice man at the refugee camp in the military tent with the pamphlets, and joined the war effort. Placement tests noticed both his natural comfort around machinery and eagerness to get out there and strike back. He was given the training to become a pilot. A born natural with the new technology, he made a small name for himself among the ranks of the mechanized infantry. Many see the presence of The Carrion Queen to be an omen of a bloody battle ahead.(As a pilot, I would think garnering a little bit of a reputation would not be that hard. Much like tank crews and fighter pilots of the modern era, right?)

• Role: Pilot
    Traits: Wizkid
    Veteran Mindset
    Heavy Operator
    Easy Sync
    Run It Hot!: With knowledge and confidence in his own form of crack engineering, Robert has been able to optimize his mech so that all of its systems run slightly faster and more efficiently.
    Clever Packing: Robert has modified the ammo systems for his mech so that they can fit more ammunition than would normally be expected.

Equipment:- M96 PDW: A small and compact carbine that is chambered in the standard pistol caliber. Lighter and more handy than the standard AR, but far less powerful. More accurate than the pistol, with a bit more range, and power. Select fire between safe, semi, and 3 round burst. Uses 30 round magazines. Perfect as a backup as a mech pilot with limited carrying space.
    Signal Smoke Grenades:- Coloured smoke grenades
    Tool kit:- A little bit of everything needed to help create a quick fix in the field.
    Ballistic vest:- A lightweight body armour. Although it looks fairly rugged, it uses very little Einbrium.

• Frame; Hera. Has "The Carrion Queen" Stenciled on the arm and a stencil of a crown with a Vulture perched on it on the chest.
    Weapons;

Right Shoulder mounted, 40mm long barreled autocannon. 500 rounds per minute Belt fed. Fires APSE (An AP round with a small explosive effect)

Left Shoulder mounted, Swarm Missile Pod. A large rack of small rockets each with the equivalent explosive payload of a hand grenade. Heat tracking, or dumbfire. Can fire a few, or many at a time.

Right Arm Mounted: .30 caliber, belt fed Gatling gun with a variable rate of fire (2000-6000 rounds fer minute). Even though it has a very high fire rate, the small caliber and good fire control allows for plenty of trigger time. Uses a mixed belt of Ball(B), and Incendiary Tracer(I) ammo. BBBIBBBI

Left Arm Mounted: 100mm autoloading rifled cannon. A full five seconds cycling time. Carries a small, but varied ammo selection. APFSDS, HE, and HEIAP

Special Systems:

Wet ammo racks: Due to his high ammo consumption, he has sacrificed utility space for more and better protected ammo racks. (More ammo, and safer storage)

Emergency Shielding: Temporary energy based sheildind with high power drain.

There you go. I am kind of sad not to see names for other mechs! It seems like bad luck....

Oh, and someone mentioned a "All You Need Is Kill" vibe, and I totally get that too... Alien invasion where the humans then use mechs and exosuits to fight back.

Last edited:
You are still going to have people ranking above you in the field to sarge :P. Atleast for the first mission.

Potato welcome onboard. Funny story, i only watched the movie yesterday. This setting is inspired by c`thulu tech

Very much interested. I will start on a CS immediately. Time to make a poor boy go bonkers while piloting a massive hulking mobile weapons platform. ;P Now could you tell me where the IC is? I looked through this but must have missed the link.
IC isnt up yet

I just want to post in regards to your mech @Potatocat , and in no way do I mean to offend, somply some fun facts.

A 40mm gatling gun isn't particularly viable with a 4.5 meter mech (maybe it is, but to me the math seems weird). The A10 'cock and balls' (warthog) is built around the frame of the Gau8, which is a 25mm gatling gun. If the plane doesn't have a steep downward momentum, it will take the plane from 350km/h to dead on the ground because of recoil. A 40mm Bofors averages around 120 to 330 rpm as comparison to an actual 40mm gun that's been tried and tested. If you fire that thing at full force of 4200rpm the recoil would be unfathomable in my opinion.

I just want to post in regards to your mech @Potatocat , and in no way do I mean to offend, somply some fun facts.

A 40mm gatling gun isn't particularly viable with a 4.5 meter mech (maybe it is, but to me the math seems weird). The A10 'cock and balls' (warthog) is built around the frame of the Gau8, which is a 25mm gatling gun. If the plane doesn't have a steep downward momentum, it will take the plane from 350km/h to dead on the ground because of recoil. A 40mm Bofors averages around 120 to 330 rpm as comparison to an actual 40mm gun that's been tried and tested. If you fire that thing at full force of 4200rpm the recoil would be unfathomable in my opinion.
Hmm.... I guess you are right.... And I meant to type 30mm, but even then my scale for that one seems a little on the large size for that sort of rate of fire... I'll slow it down. It'll make ammo last longer anyway. I just have an unhealthy obsession with trying to strap the GAU-8 onto everything. XD

I'm curious to see what crazy ass bastard straps oneon the back of a pickup and forgoes using the engine at all. Just a blank load, no need to decimate entire states to go get some eggs after all.

I'm curious to see what crazy ass bastard straps oneon the back of a pickup and forgoes using the engine at all. Just a blank load, no need to decimate entire states to go get some eggs after all.
Sadly it will never happen. I don't think any functioning GAU-8s will or could by law be in civilian possession...

Or should. Absolute power corups absolutely. Absolute dakka decimates absolutely

• Love
Reactions: Grothnor
Don't say that. There's always hope in 'MURICA! (Fuck Yeah!)

After looking more into the railgun I think I can change the range that the railgun can achieve.

Well a M777 with a 155mm Excalibur round (40,000$ range) is accurate to 10 meters at 40km. :)

Sabot rounds from a 25mm are good up to the 2.5 - 3km / 1.5-2 mile mark in the LAV systems as well. even with larger rounds the 3000 meter seems to be the upper limit for effective and accurate fire. Most sabot teavel around 5000ft/s as well I believe, so a higher speed will afford greater distance as well. Really it comes down to the targeting system though. If you can only observe to 5000 meters you can really only shoot to 5000 meters.

Is this directed at me?

That is why light mech and infantry will designate targets

Ah sorry, got up not to long ago so I was a bit out of it.

Basically I am doing some guess work when it comes to the range of the railgun. From what I have found the railgun can launch projectiles at over mach 7 (speeds of mach 10 have been achieved). At mach 7, and with smaller projectiles, the railgun can pack the same punch as a 5" naval gun, which is accurate to about 13 nmi, but it has a much greater range than the naval gun because it can fire things at a much greater velocity. Now as of now the projectiles of a railgun (without the ability to change course) can hit fast moving missiles at a maximum range of about 35 miles. Now since this is a sci-fi rp I am working under the assumption that there have been some serious advancements in our weapons systems. So in reality I am probably selling this weapon a bit short range wise.

And to go off of Hellis is saying, if the lighter mechs triangulate a target the might be out of my mech's normal line of site the potential for hitting these far away targets is huge.

Like all good modern Artillery, intel is key :D

I think this will be great :D

Exactly! Especially since it seems a lot of this is going to be going on in cramped cities. I'm going to need lots of Intel to try and figure out what I'm hitting and how I am going to hit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.