Cold Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
The blonde took a long look around as they stopped in the recreation room. He didn't sit down, standing by a window and staring out. He was still too antsy to sit down. His train of thought was broken by Tatsuya's words, and his surprise showed clearly on his face when he turned to gawk at him. "Y-You would let me go back to work?" He rubbed the back of his head precariously, his suspicion coming back to his eyes. "I mean, I would definitely like to continue working. But.. isn't that a particularly big risk?" He wasn't questioning the vampire's integrity or anything, but rather he was surprised by how trusting he was. That wasn't to say that Soma would break his trust. Soma could be willful, but he wasn't much of a risk taker. He had to calculate the risk to determine whether or not the consequences were worth the benefits. Most typically, unless something of great value to him was at stake, he didn't bother gambling.

"Well, yes," Tatsuya answered, expecting the surprise. It was a very rare few that were able to go back to their normal lives after being exploited in the slavery trade, with exceptions of course. "As long as you didn't try to split town or anything," he said, that subtle warning in his voice. "And as long as you stay here, with me... I don't particularly care if you go back to working."

That hint of warning in Tatsuya's voice lingered in Soma's ears, even after he'd stopped speaking. The boy's mind wandered to his work. What would he tell his boss and coworkers? Certainly not that he'd been careless enough to lose track of time and get himself in trouble? That was out of the question. They'd give him the third degree for that. He'd have to think of something before going back in. "Fair enough." He smiled if a bit wryly and sat down on the opposite end of the sofa.

Tatsuya felt satisfied with that answer and propped his elbow for his chin to rest on bottom of his palm. He looked at Soma curiously, eyes not harsh in the slightest. Like he was searching for something but knowing what he was searching for. "I will probably want a drink in the morning," he said. Might as well just put it out there.

All it took was for Soma to get comfortable and he could hardly keep his eyes open. He leaned back into the couch, sinking into the cushion. His head lolled slightly to one side, his expression peaceful. It was almost a superpower his ability to fall asleep just about anywhere he could get comfortable. He peeked one blue eye open to look at Tatsuya and smirked sleepily. "I figured as much.. I'll probably need a cup of coffee." Soma spoke with a yawn. It was late, but he'd be awake as soon as the sun rose.

"No, you can sleep for as long as you'd like," he informed as he stood. He moved to the tired man and picked him up bridal style without any real warning. It was something Soma would have to get used to, especially if he fell asleep anywhere other than a bed. He carried him to the main part of the house and up the stairs to his room, laying him down in the blue blankets. He then collected some robes from off of a chair and walked towards a door. "I'll be in the bathroom if you need me," he informed.

"Hm.." Soma gave an indeterminate response that was something between a hum and a sigh. He stirred a bit as he was lifted from the couch, frowning at being moved as well as carried. It wasn't something he was used to. Usually if he fell asleep somewhere other than his bed, he would wake up half way through the night and go to bed. Then there were times that, if he was tired enough, he wouldn't bother to move or wouldn't make it to his bed, but instead on the floor. Working almost twelve hours on little sleep and then staying up half the night did that to him. That and he lived alone, there was no one to tell him to go to bed. Almost as soon as his head hit the pillow, Soma was as good as dead, lost in a deep sleep.

Tatsuya chuckled at the human's dead response. It was a bit amazing how tired he was, and Tatsuya found that he was growing tired as well. He could stand the sunshine, walk in the rays of light, but he did like to nap as much of the day away as he could. After bathing and dressing in his blue robe, he settled beside Soma and pulled the covers over the both of them. For now the vampire wouldn't spoon, but there was no guarantee of that for the future. He did get needy sometimes...

The night went by peacefully, probably more so there than it had back in the city. Soma slept soundly, stirring only once or twice over the course of the night. When the sun had risen enough to throw light through the window and the birds started chirping, the blonde awoke. He propped up on one arm, glancing about. He remembered that he wasn't at home, yet it was still strange to wake up in someone else's home and in their bed no less. The last thing the boy's eyes fell on was Tatsuya. He blinked hard, did a double take, and blinked again. Waking up in bed with another person was going to take getting used to. Deciding it didn't bother him, Soma laid back down and dozed a bit before his internal clock forced him out of bed. He took a quick shower to wake up and slipped downstairs.

Tatsuya woke a bit after Soma had went downstairs. It wasn't hard to wake the vampire and when he realized Soma was no longer beside him, he rose from the bed and silently checked upstairs for him before going downstairs. "Soma?" he called out, having decided that it took up too much time to check the entire house. It was possible he was long gone by now, but the vampire hoped that wasn't the case.

Since he'd gone downstairs, Soma had been sitting at the table in the kitchen. Papers were scattered all over the table, covered in what could only be called scribbles though the boy could read them just fine. He'd wandered about for a bit, and having recalled there was a study, he grabbed some paper and a pen and sat down to compose. The papers were filled with musical staffs and notes. His hand flew over one paper in front of him, his gaze piercing as he focused. He hadn't heard any movement, so was startled when he heard his name. Standing, he leaned out the kitchen to peer into the living room before stepping out. "I-Is something the matter?" Soma asked, a hint of concern in his voice as he approached Tatsuya. "Did I wake you?"

Ah, there he was. Soma appeared out from the kitchen and approached Tatsuya, voice sounding... concerned?

"Ah, no, nothing's the matter. And yes, you did, but it's all right. I needed to wake up anyways," he offered a small smile before he peered over to the kitchen, though he couldn't see anything. "What are you doing? I don't smell any food... would you like breakfast?" he asked as he started to make his way over.

"Oh... er.. sorry." Soma stammered, running a hand sheepishly through his messy hair. It still looked a bit like he'd just gotten out of bed. He looked back towards the kitchen, following Tatsuya's eyes. "I was working." He moved back to the kitchen and stopped at the table, gathering up his mess of papers into a neat stack. "I hadn't even thought about food. And I know you said it's open to me, but I didn't quite feel right about it." The blonde gave a sort of nervous smile. He didn't want to feel like he was intruding and so left the kitchen alone.

"No need to apologize," the vampire informed lightly, his electric blue eyes catching a few of the papers before Soma collected them and put them in a neat stack. He smiled slightly; the papers were filled with music notes. The man really did have a passion, didn't he?

"Ah, well... I suppose that'll change within time," he said as he opened the fridge. He peered inside before pausing and looking to the shorter man. "What do you want for breakfast, anyway? I can make anything as long as I have the ingredients. Years of experience."

Soma returned to his seat, taking up his pen and staring at the paper as he tried to get some of his focus back. He paused as he went to write and looked up at Tatsuya with a sort of blank look. "I'm not sure. Usually, I just have coffee and eat during my break at work. But I'm not picky, make whatever you feel like." He shrugged. He tried not to be too indifferent, but didn't often express a preference for something until he'd tried it. He would try most any dish once. He tapped the pen on the table a second before he took to writing. After a few minutes, he put it down and stuck the paper into the stack. "That's about all I can do with it until I can play it. I'll take it to work and use the piano there. We keep it for "open mic" events and the occasional guest entertainer."

"Okay." Tatsuya was conventionally feeling hungry for a heart meal, so he began fumbling around for all the ingredients and needed utensils. Vampires could eat human food, but it was never enough. To a human, it would be like eating only a snack for an entire day. Drinking animal blood was better; vampires could actually survive on drinking non-human blood, but it was never the same as drinking pure human blood, whether it came out from a blood bag or their own body.

"I don't have a coffee machine," he said, never finding the stuff that good whether he took it black or sweetened. He hadn't really thought about it for his new partner either. When he heard Soma speaking about his work, he was heating up a couple of pans. He would be making eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits. "Do you ever play as the guest entertainer?" he asked.

"It's alright. A day or two without coffee won't kill me." Soma chuckled under his breath. He propped his chin in his palm and watched Tatsuya work. He inspired a sort of curiosity that urged Soma to figure him out. It was like trying to find the missing piece to a jigsaw puzzle. "I have played a few times. I mean I love to play but I'm not accustomed to performing in front of more than a few people. I know that's something I'll have to get over to be a professional, though." Soma sighed softly, his eyes growing distant. He tapped his fingers on the table, pretending it was his keyboard and listening to his new work in his head.

Tatsuya chuckled in return. To be honest, he thought that Soma was going to be a bit of a troublemaker. That was what he made himself look out to be, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the vampire thought. Soma was turning out to be a better housemate than expected even if they hadn't really done anything together yet.

"You'll learn to like it," he replied, having no doubt that the human would become a professional pianist. Someone with that much passion and who was good was never a failure.

Soma had practically forgotten his qualms from the previous day. He had imagined the situation would be worse, but it wasn't bad at all so far. He hadn't any reason to cause any trouble, or at least, he hadn't yet been given such reason. The atmosphere was surprisingly more relaxed than he'd imagined and he was able to settle into it if just a little bit. Tatsuya wasn't at all like.. Soma shook the thought from his mind. It wasn't fair to compare him to that man. He stood and moved beside Tatsuya. "Mind if I help out?"

Tatsuya looked to Soma out of the corners of his eyes but moved aside for the human. "Not at all," he answered. He explained what he was making and then showed the human where everything was located, though he had most things out already.

Within the next twenty minutes, the meal was finished and the house was filled with a savory scent. Tatsuya set the table before helping Soma carry everything over. And then they sat across from each other. "Do you like it?" he asked after Soma had taken his first couple of bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.