Canaries Nest

What does he do when he goes to work? He strokes her cheek and looks at her thoughtfully. What does he do? " I plan, I make sure the pack stays within their boundaries, sometimes I growl, I make sure other packs don't enter our boundaries, I hunt, I check on the pups.... and the women. It is important that the leaders son is involved" he nods and looks at her, " truthfully having to be everywhere doing everything is tiring and lonely. It is not a job I would wish on anyone"

Sheona nodded, understanding his list of duties and what they do to his time. But, when he mentioned checking up on the pups and the women, Sheona had a mixed emotion tumble over her. Not certain what she was feeling, she just decided to speak her thoughts instead.

"How many pups are there to check up on? Are there many being born? The women...are they - owned by you as well?"

If a bird could have a jealous heart...

Sheona wondered if Russ collected lycanesses, like Edgar collected birds... In a way, she didn't want to compete for Russ's attention, and the thought if that made her feel oddly worried, saddened, and flat out hot. But then, that other strange emotion attacked her then...

Pups don't have wings...

" there are ten pups and seven women. Only three of our females have mates. And no, no one owns them they are a part of our pack. As the leader it's my job to make sure the pack is running well. The whole world is not based in slavery. Only parts of it" he smiles at her and pulls her to his chest playing with her hair " I do not have pups. When I mate... I will be the alpha"

"Oh..."

Sheona fell silent as he played with her hair. Unconsciously, she leaned towards him, laying her head against his shoulder. Even from there she could hear his rapid heart pulsing its natural rhythm. It sounded frantic, always running; not like the pulse of her heart which was melodic and relaxed. They were completely different...

Sad within her relaxation, eyes closed, she sighed, "I...wish I wasn't apart of it..."

He nods looking at her and resting his arm on her back as she listens to his heart, he kisses her tenderly on her forehead, " I know. There are many of my race in slavery as well. It is not the happiest of things but it is necessary, I hope that you will find happiness here with me"

She lifted her head, "Oh, you've given me more happiness than I've ever had. You've treated me better than any man, and I'm not in a cage... Is it even possible for more?"

He chuckles and kisses her softly, " I like you, you are beautiful and you have a lot of spunk, I think we will get along for years to come" he licks her cheek and nuzzles her with a gentle smile

Sheona giggled again at his lick, feeling all bubbly inside - filled with so much joy she could burst at the seams...and there was more to come! She's already had more good things come to her already, but to thing that there were other joyful things that Russ could show her... She's never known how wonderful life could be, until now.

She'd returned her head to his shoulder and just enjoyed listening. Then, a thought had come to her mind, and since she was with Russ expressing it was not a danger.

"Russ, your will have to work tomorrow, right?" She lifted her green eyes to see his response. "Is there anything I can do - work wise - around here for you while you are away? The others birds at Edgar's mansion always had jobs to do. May I care for your home, like they did there - so I won't miss you too much?"

She wasn't sure if he would allow her to leave his room, like what Edgar tended to do. She understood why, but still she wanted to pull her own weight around here, and see her new home.

He looks at her while she talks and nods with a soft smile, " you are welcome to keep my rooms tidied, you are welcome to the library to read and if there is anything you want I will get that for you as well... and when you are stronger perhaps you will even be able to go to work with me" he smiles and plays with her feathers softly

Beaming again, "Well, I must heal quickly then, so I can work." She giggled before tucking herself further against his side, closing her eyes. She was still feeling weak, but she didn't really want to stay put in one spot. "Would it be okay for me to look around?" She stiffened a short yawn, "I don't know where things are here...and I would very much like to see beyond four walls..."

He nods stroking her cheek softly and nuzzles her, " but be careful and always wear your collar. It can be dangerous within these walls" he warns softly before licking her cheek again with soft admiration

"Okay..." Sheona's eyes continued to stay closed, and her breathing became shallow. She was so comfortable and warm by Russ's side, she began to fall asleep even when her spirit was still running around with more questions and ideas and expectations galore.

"~Mmm, perhaps...tomorrow...~" she whispered with the last of her consciousness. Her days have been filled with strife - and all of it took over at this moment to finally leave her be.

He smiles watching her, her whole little body humming and he kisses her softly and puts her in the blanket with a soft smile and then yawns curling around her like a protective dog with his pups before he too falls into slumber, snoring softly

Sheona's dreams held no madness this time, no pains and no discomforts came to her as she rested soundlessly. Warmth - she felt so warm and toasty, and that brought forth dreams of flying in the summer's sky with the sun tanning her pale skin and keeping the muscles of her wings loose and limber. They felt strong in her dream, and she flew and flew for days, visiting places she never thought she would see. And as always, returning home to greet Russ after his long day.

She awoke to a new morning, but didn't want to move. Actually, she wasn't able to move a muscle at all. She was wrapped within Russ's strong embrace. She shifted herself slightly so she would be able to see him without waking him up. He'd stayed with her the whole night, resting just as comfortable as she did...based off of the serenity of his heartbeat and the peace she could feel flowing from his aura. She'd wondered if he's always slept so sweetly before. Those who work so hard day in and day out, tend to be restless sleepers at night.

Sheona was dazzled at this - how pleasant Russ's expression was when he was resting. She tucked herself into a ball before him and stared at him while he slept - memorizing his features and the radiant aura that seem to illuminate from him. Deep down, she whispered a little wish, settling a blanket of luck over him - to protect him and give him graces throughout his day. He didn't ask for it, but this was what a Ciboney does - gives luck, grants wishes, create happiness... Ironic that a creature destined for sorrows are the creatures of good tidings for others...

Her eyes grew heavy again, but she didn't fall asleep. She didn't want to lose what was before her.

He felt her move but he did not stir, once he had had a bed mate after all... once he had had a betrothed. Once he had been happy, light hearted, foolish and young.... now he was stoic, cautious and aged beyond his years as many who have suffered a great tragedy are. He was shaken to his core from his experiences, vowing to never again take a mate. But a wolf is a pack animal, and he was the alpha's only son. He would, this he knew, have to break that vow. Honor bound to keep the pack alive.... he would have to mate once more. Supply pups for his pack, lead them to victory..... howl in the night.... call the hunt. These things he knew, but he knew he would never love again. He closed his heart off to that. Not wanting the pain of loss to enter him again.

After a while, Sheona fell asleep once again, only to wake up with a start. Oversleeping was a bad thing...in Edgar's home. But here, there was no need to fear it. Even so, it was an old habit she hadn't washed away just yet.

Her body was soar and tense, but that didn't stop it from flying out of bed, standing on her feet and backing towards the corner as if to protect herself.

Old habits...

That's what she had to do. If she'd over-slept in Edgar's room, the best thing for her to do was to quickly get to her feet and find a corner to hide in. If not, Edgar would punish her - more so than the punishment he'd offered the night before.

Her pulse was racing as her hands cling to each other preparing to block a blow... Somehow, Sheona had forgotten what room she was in, and what home she had stayed. It was as if she'd forgotten - again - that she was free.

He felt her jerk and he blinks groggily then he walks over to her and grabs her wrists softly pulling them down and he kisses her softly. " relax, you're safe. I'm not going to hurt you" he strokes her cheek and then pulls her to his chest and plays with her hair " ssssh"

Sheona only registered a presence before her, not recognizing Russ's face, and when he grabbed her wrist she cried out - preparing for pain. But, his soft kisses and soothing voice woke her from her tormented recall, and soon she calmed enough to remove the veil before her eyes.

"Russ!"

He pulled her close and her arms wrapped around his waist, "I - I thought... I thought I was in Edgar's room...," her voice shook. "It's not safe to over sleep... I had to get up... I had to hide..."

Those thought wet her cheeks as tears sprang without warning. Damn, she was tired of fear - even when she was no longer in its presence, it still tormented her.

"I'm...sorry I've awakened you... You were sleeping so well..."

When she screams he looks at her entirely concerned and then nods " here you can oversleep if you so desire. I will not fault you on it" he strokes her cheek softly with a soft smile and kisses her again just to make her feel better " it's fine I would be awake soon anyways"

Taking deep breaths, Sheona finally relaxed in Russ's embrace. She nodded her understandings - there are no rules here about oversleeping... With an upturned lip, she eventually slipped her arms from around his waist to wipe her eyes dry with the backs of her hands.

"I'm sorry... I should know by now who my master is... Just, when I feel at peace with life, bad thoughts come back to haunt." She shook her bright red hair, as if she could shake those bad thoughts out of her head. "They won't leave me alone... I want them to go away, so I won't disturb your sleep like that again..." She glanced up with a slight rose in her cheeks, "You were resting so sweetly there..."