Canaries Nest

When she said she didn't know how to do it he laughed, he realized his mistake as his sharp teeth were revealed and she probably thought he was mocking her... " I never met a girl who didn't know how to use a brush. Come here I will show you" he pads the spot on the bed between his legs, " it is real easy. What does Edgar keep you in that cage all the time?" he takes the brush waiting for her to come, " you will of course need to take your hair out of that towel for me" he was very pleased that she had eaten... he was sorry he did not bring her some meat, he had just assumed that.... being a bird.... she wouldn't want any.

Russ laughed, and Sheona jumped slightly for it. She wasn't embarrassed, just - inadequate. There were a lot of things that she's never done before... In a way, she felt ignorant of the world - but, none of it was her fault.

"I never met a girl who didn't know how to use a brush. Come here, I will show you."

He pads the spot on the bed between his legs, and delicately, still injured and feeling awkward, Sheona scooted herself over.

"It is real easy. What does Edgar keep you in that cage all the time?"

"Yes...," she whispered. "Until he's ready for me..." It wasn't the best form of existence, but when she's in the cage - she's safe...

"You will, of course, need to take your hair out of that towel for me."

Doing as she was told, Sheona slipped the towel off to allow her damp hair to fall down her shoulders and across her forehead.

He frowns at that and smiles at her hair, he moves it from her face and gently combs through it taking out each knot before just letting her hair fall down her back, he then braids it for her and ties it in a bow with some cloth. He smiles and kisses her cheek softly, " it is very easy.... I bet you are a smart girl. You should rest. In the morning my father and I are taking you back to Edgar. Go ahead and get comfy. I will be asleep in meer hours" he sets her aside and lays down on his stomach showing zero signs of touching her again

It was nice to have her hair clean and brushed out fully. He'd even braided it for her...that awakened a memory. Somewhere in her life, she recalled a time when her mother would do the same, but she could not see a face to adore or remember a name to call. Saddened, Sheona remained silent until the task was complete.

When Russ told her of what her day will bring tomorrow, her tongue suddenly became active, "No...please, Sir. Russ... Don't send me back to him..." Even with a weak voice, the sadness and fear was evident. "Master Edgar...he won't like how you've treated me... He'll punish me for it... Please, don't send me back there."

She didn't want to sleep, knowing what the morning would bring. If he was not the salvation she's has always searched for, then this night shall be her last... She stayed seated, with eyes pleading for Russ's agreement to keep her away from Master Edgar.

" Then I will make sure I tussle you up before we go over there. I don't own you and I cannot.... I can't steal. I can't and not taking you back would be stealing you. What would you have me do songbird? Are you for sale? He seems.... fond of you" he looks at her, he didn't wish her to be condemned to the life she led but truly he could do very little about it. His brown eyes looked into her gems, "what would you have me do?"

Sheona only dropped her eyes in defeat. There was nothing she could think of that Russ could do for her - not anything that would get her out of there without some danger. There was one thing she wished to do to Master Edgar, but she wouldn't ask her worst enemy to do such... Honestly, Sir. Edgar was her worst enemy, and she wished for his death to be by her hands and no one else's....

Even though she wanted freedom, she didn't want a good man like Russ to have that evil demon's blood on his hands.

"I...I don't know. You might can...buy me, but Master Edgar would not sell me." She slipped down into the sheets, lowering her head carefully into the pillows. Tears glassed over her eyes again, but she kept them at bay. "I'll be free when he dies of old age; that is, if he's not immortal..."

After all the luck she's been forced to give him over the years, he probably is right now....

Closing her eyes, Sheona took a deep breath, "I guess...there's nothing anyone can do for me." She turned her head to give Russ a smile, the first real smile she's ever given to anyone. "Thank you, Sir. Russ...for everything you've done for me this night. I'll... never forget."

He tucks her in and kisses her softly, " hey you.... hey.... I will make an offer.... but I cannot make any promises and you will have to go back with me." He sighs and then soon falls asleep. He snores and kicks in his sleep, letting out an occasional growl. But he is serious, in the morning he will make an offer for the little bird.

He awakens and looks at her. " Time to tussle you" he takes her braid out and knots her hair, he takes the shirt away and winces at the injuries, " do you know how much he paid for you?"

Sheone fell asleep after Russ's small pledge, which gave her some added comfort. The next morning, with Russ waking her up to make her more 'presentable' for her travel home. It was not an happy occasion for her, but she knew it was for the best.

Back to her typical self, naked and damaged, Sheona fell back into her typical frightened demeanor. It was almost as if that one night never happened...

"Do you know how much he paid for you?"

She shook her head, "I can't recall a lot of things..." Sitting on his bed, she folded her legs before her and wrapped her arms around them. Hurt and dejected, Sheona didn't want to leave. Before they left, she remembered her dress still laying on the floor in Russ's father's room.

"Um...my dress," she looked up at Russ. "Master Edgar would be upset if I didn't return with it..." She feared going into his father's room, or seeing the man after last night.

He nods and goes and retrieves it, his father was passed out... as usual. He then returns and picks her up taking her back, " okay. I don't like making blind offers...." he sighs and knocks, the maid answers and Edgar grins seeing her in his arms , "looks like he enjoyed you. She performed well I assume?" He nods, " she was more then adequate. In fact I am interested in purchasing. I will give you 100000 for her. Now. I want her back home with me tonight."

Her owner looks at her, she was his favorite... and well.... 100000 was 3x what he paid for her, she was well broken at this point... he could buy a new one, " 112 and she is yours I will even get you her papers" he nods, " fine"

Sheona didn't know what to think. The value prices that they threw over her head sounded more than any amount she's ever seen, which wasn't much. And the idea that her master just sold her out of the blue was - disturbing. He would give her up for money... Well, that sounded about like him, but she was his prized bird, his magical specimen, the myth of all myths...

A lie, as always, passed his lips, and this one was big enough for her to fear, especially since Russ was involved. What was her master planning on doing - take Russ's money, but kill him before he comes to collect her? Or was Edgar just too tired of her now? How can that be, when she's the elixir of his youthful life? The oddities of finding another Ciboney was rare. How will he find another to take her place?

Did she really care?

No, but she did care if Master Edgar was attempting on pulling a fast one on Russ. She didn't want to see him get hurt.

She wanted to call to Russ, to tell him to be careful and return safely, but she was in Master Edgar's house now...it wasn't safe to speak. The other ladies carted her away to her room - her cage - and tended to her injuries. Silently, with eyes and ears on alert, she spoke in whispers about her night...

Everyone's mouths shut when they heard the door close and Master Edgar's feet retreating to the back. Scarring away, they left Sheona to herself.

Edgar comes in and sees her and he chuckles, " well little bird, seems our days together are over. You're gonna be some wolfs very expensive dinner now. I found a new young little bird just like you. Shes just over half what I sold you for. Made a nice little profit off your ass" his hand slips in the door and squeezes her rear as he says those words and then without warning he through her cage acrossed the room, " I won't be needing your whorish form any longer"

Russ was leaned against the door frame waiting for his papers and his bird. He looked at his nails when he heard the crash, he goes to the backroom to see a mess of cages, shivering birds hiding. " What happened...." he looks around and then he sees her and Edgar. They were in the corner, he had thrown her cage acrossed the room with her still in it.... he didn;t know why. " Hey! Thats my bird be careful with her! I have your money give me the papers and no one gets hurt" he growls and his canines have grown, fur was forming along his jawline, eyes already golden, predatorial....

"Well little bird, seems our days together are over. You're gonna be some wolf's very expensive dinner now."

He's...a wolf?"

Sheona had no idea that Russ was a lycan. Before she could gather her thoughts on this, Master Edgar manhandled her before grabbing her cage, and with more strength than any human held, tossed it across the room. She screamed as she flew, wishing her wings weren't so battered; she would have hovered to avoid the full extent of the crash. But instead, she felt it fly through the room and slam against the window on the other side.

Glass tore into her skin and she could fear several shards deep in her back. Falling over, Sheona fought to stay alert... especially when she heard Russ call out, and then soon a loud growl.

She dragged herself towards the opened door of the battered cage, bars bend and glass etching into her palms as she did, she lifted her head to watch as Russ defended her.

Even though he was a lycan, she feared for his life right then. Sheona hadn't told him what she was, and what she can do. Master Edgar held magic from her feathers within him n- more than any man should; and could hold his ground with it. He's taken so much of it from her, and now she feared he would use it against Russ...

He laughs and gestures to what's left of the bird " you want the little slut ? She's yours". He chucks her papers at her and walks out, money in hand he could care less about the bird he just wanted to cause her pain. Russ had a moment of indecision before he calms down with a growl and goes over and scoops her and her papers up not bothered by the glass shards. A few entered his arms but he didn't care. He walks right out the building with the naked bird and heads home muttering darkly under his breath ". I'm gonna take you to a medic , you'll be fine"

Burrowing her face into his neck, Sheona thanked Russ profusely as he carried her away. By the time they've reached the physician, she had fallen into an unconscious state. Far too weak to fight against the pains of all of her injuries combined, the only thing she could do was sleep.

"Well, her wounds are not too bad," the Healer stated as she continued to stitch up cuts the glass left in Sheona's back. "And she didn't lose a lot of blood; the glass saw to that. Other than that, she needs plenty of rest and tender loving care. Ciboney's are very delicate creatures, manly because of the magic that courses their veins."

The Healer finished her work and stepped away from Sheona, turning towards Russ with concern, "You ah, I should say, aught to pay real close attention to her. Her kind are rare and valuable - for their magic, as well as for other reasons... Either keep her secret and safe, or expect trouble everywhere you go."

She left, clearing them to leave as they wished. An assistant handed Russ a package of herbs and creams for all the various wounds the Healer had found before heading to the next patient.

He nods to her and then listens intently to each word spoken. He did not know what she spoke of but he was not one to flaunt his possessions. She would be safe. He strokes her cheek pocketing the medicines and picks her up, he sets her nude form on his bed tucking her in the covers and sets a basket of fruit and bread by her side when she awakens along with a pitcher of water and a glass. He then lightly kisses her cheek and goes to work in the adjoining study

Deep in dreaded nightmares, Master Edgar's wrath replayed over and over again in Sheona's mind, countless hands covered in blood and sex, beat her - groped her - taking pleasure if her suffering and ignoring her pleas for peace. She awoke with a scream, shaking under the covers as if she was frozen in the cold stare of her former owner.

It took a while for Sheona to realize that she was not in her cage - she was not bound by chains... There was light, there was food and water, and even though she was still damaged, she was not waking up in a pool of her own blood. Half of her night was foreign to her mind...

What happened to me?
She thought, and only one thing came to her mind.... Or, one should say, a name...

"~Russ?~" she whispered, too scared to actually say anything above such, fearing that she was still dreaming...

His ears twitched hearing her even from acrossed the room, he wanders in and looks at her " yes sheona?" he strokes her cheek softly taking a seat next to her. " are you feeling alright? I had you looked at and most of your wounds are minor" he smiles at her supportively

When Russ responded to her and sat down, Sheona was shocked to actually see him there, but still feared herself dreaming. She grabbed his wrist when he stroked her face, holding on with both hands - as if life depended on it - and squeezed lightly.

Inspecting his hand and flesh, her eyes widened with alarm, "You're really here... You're not a fantasy, nor a dream... I'm - I'm really free, am I?"

It was never a thought that struck her as an idea that would come true in her future, or even in one night. But there she sat in another man's home, not as a slave or concubine, and not for the entertainment of a man's vial imaginations. Russ, her savior, was unreal to her; yet, a wonder to glorify and worship in awe. He removed her from hell so she could finally live in heaven.

He strokes her cheek, " I am really here.... I bought you. So you are mine now.... my pretty little songbird" if she listened she could hear it was a petname and not a slur, she was special to him, he was fond of her. " Make sure you eat, I am going to take good care of you, you will want for nothing my sweet Sheona. I will be in the next room getting a few things done, I will always come when you call me" he made it clear however that he did own her, if he did not own her.... then his father would have an easier time getting at her. His ownership would save her. He tugs a lock of vibrant hair, " and I have these meds for your injuries if they start to hurt" he sets the pouch by her and pads her hand moving to get up and go back into his study

Her demeanor softened as Russ spoke, realizing that freedom comes with a cost..., but this was one payment she didn't mind at all. Russ was kind to her, and she saw no lies within his soul and his words were clear and sweetly covered in - something more than compassion, or the civil act of chivalry. She didn't quite understand this other emotion she was sensing, but it didn't matter to her. If she must be his by law, then she will not complain. If to any other man, she would give blood instead.

Taking the bag beside her, she opened it to find medicinal herbs from the deepest regions of her homeland - where they could only be found. Whoever he spoke to about her care knew about her kind...it was obvious they even knew where her homeland was located. It would be interesting to meet his person one day.

She placed the medical bag on the table beside the bed before taking the basket of fruits and bread with a child-like smile - her second one in ages. Eating as she was told, Sheona looked around the room for a while. When she'd had her fill, she placed the basket back where she'd found it and carefully removed herself from the bed. Everything still hurt, but she ignored the pain, as always, and moved about the room.

She looked at everything there - the bed, the furniture and the trinkets on the shelves. There were books, but she's never really learned how to read well enough to enjoy them, and there was a full standing mirror in the corner of the room. Sheona had seen her reflection before, and wasn't afraid of the mirror. What she'd feared this time however, was her reflection now - what has she become over the past eight years under Mas...Mr. Edgar's thumb?

Standing unabashed before her double, Sheona was startled by her state - bruised, cut, scared, dysfunctional misused, derailed; she felt ashamed to even be in Russ's home...ashamed that he'd spent so much of his hard-earned money for - for this! She ran a hand through her hair - at least it was still clean... Looking over her body, Sheona wished for fabric to make herself something proper to wear... She didn't want Russ to spend any more on her than he should... He's done enough already. She wanted to be worthy of her keep, but that won't happen until she was healthy enough.

Taking a book from the shelf, one with dark red binding and gold-edged pages, Sheona returned to her bed. If she was going to become a worthy prize for her savior, she needed to refine herself... Opening the book, she began to butcher the English language...