Breath of Fresh Air

"He does belong here," Noah said with a soft smile. "So do you. So do I, I think."

Grandpa Jenkins' eyes shimmered. "'Course ya do, lad."

Mr. Harn cleared his throat. "You boys are going to make us cry. Knock it off," he teased with a smile. He finished his soup and let out a long, soft breath. ". . . Though I have to admit, the Dragonry's been growing on me, too. And I can't wait to see Malia again." He glanced at Nel and smiled. "She speaks very highly of you, you know. You're very valued."

"Oh! Hey!" Noah said, jumping to his feet and nearly spilling his soup. "Nel, do you want to hear the music box? It sounds just like the lullaby my mother used to sing me!"

Axle dropped his spoon. "You still have it?" he asked quietly.

"Mhm! I'll go get it," Noah promised, running off.

Mr. Harn rested a hand over his chest, staring at the floor. "Anna . . ."

Nel couldn't help a soft laugh at Axle's playful protests, feeling warmed in body and spirit. He was glad that they had all found each other. Seeing their family together made him happy, and he was happier still to be able to be near enough to see how it would grow.

"I would love to," he said agreeably when Noah offered to show him a music box. He had no idea what it truly was, or what its significance was, but it seemed important, and Noah was eager to share. Even if he didn't know what kind of song it would play, but even if it wasn't something he was interested in normally he was always happy to have someone show him something they loved.

He ate quietly while the others interacted, to warm himself up some more and so as not to let anything go to waste by getting cold, and looked between them all with some small amount of confusion until Axle mentioned his late wife's name. It was something of hers, then? That must mean it was very special.

". . . Will you be all right?" He asked softly when Noah had gone, brows raised a bit in concern with a small, worried frown on his face. "I - I don't have to see it. . ." If playing the song would make everyone feel sad, it was all right. He could hear it some other day.

Axle gave a soft sigh and set a hand on Nel's arm. "No, it's okay. I'd like to hear it," he said softly. "It's just been so long since I heard it. She used to sing it all the time to Noah when he was a baby, and - well . . . it reminds me of her so much. I'm looking forward to it."

Noah soon returned with the music box, and he wound it up to play the old tune. "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" began floating through the air.

With a soft chirp, Pumpkin lifted his head, giving his wings a few flaps.

Axle wiped a few tears from his eyes, but he was smiling. "Aww. I remember the day I gave her that music box," he murmured.

Noah came over to sit by him and leaned against his side. "Yeah? Tell me about it," he said softly.

"Hmm, well - only if everyone wants to hear about it," Axle said softly.

Nel offered Axle a small smile, knowing memories could hurt but also that it was good to make sure one never forgot about their loved ones. Axle had people with him that remembered her, even if Nel thought Noah hadn't known her for very long, and it was a good kind of hurt sharing memories of her together.

"It's very pretty," Nel murmured very gently, listening to the music box just as much as he watched all their different reactions. Pumpkin, too, seemed stirred by the quiet song. "I would love to hear about her, if you would like to tell me. Sometimes . . . to speak her name is to be sure she never leaves you."

He often talked about his own family, though generally it was only to dragons, but he believed it didn't matter who it was said to, only that it was said. It didn't feel like his place, asking about someone he knew so little about when he was new to the people around him as well, but sometimes it was easier to tell a stranger. If Axle would feel better to talk about Anna, he would be happy to listen.

The man leaned back in his chair, smiling peacefully and closing his eyes. "I'd just started my saddle business. There was a specific type of metal I needed to source for the stirrups at the time, but it was only available in Lower Floaten."

Noah grinned and rested his chin in his hands.

"So I went down on a spaceship and stopped at an old scrap yard to buy some metal. There was a beautiful woman there, with the softest brown hair and freckles on her cheeks."

"Like mine," Noah said softly.

"Like yours," Mr. Harn replied. "And I asked her to buy some metal. She said that particular type wasn't for sale, but she'd trade it to me for something unique or beautiful. So I went back to Upper Floaten and came back with the music box. She was so taken with it that she asked me to come back the next time she got a metal shipment in. And I kept coming back for shipments until we started meeting more often, and then started dating, and eventually we got married."

Nel settled in, slowly and quietly eating the dinner so kindly provided to him and listening to Axle's story. The reminiscence in his voice was loving, and not horribly sad, and for that Nel was happy for him. It was good to be able to remember without so much hurt overwhelming the good times. He hoped it meant that the man was well in his way to healing, even though nothing could ever quite cover over the loss of such a dear loved one.

"Did she live here?" He asked, of both Axle and Mr. Jenkins, curious but also simply prompting them gently to speak more. "I wonder if anyone else at the Dragonry knew her."

Perhaps Malia had, he thought. She hadn't always been at the Dragonry - he didn't actually remember how many years she had been around before she had become one of the most important matriarchs they had around, but it was possible he supposed. He didn't want to ask how old Noah had been when his mother had passed to figure out the timeline. That was too sensitive a question.

Noah nodded and cranked the music box up again. "Yeah. She used to have my room, actually. We shared it. Grandpa said there used to be a cradle in there for me, but eventually they added a big bed for me. And a few extra beds, for sleepovers." He smiled and looked up at Nel. "I've gotten a lot of use out of the sleepover beds, actually. They're really nice for having guests over. I'm glad you get to try one out tonight!"

Mr. Harn rubbed his chin. ". . . I wonder if Malia knew her. Anna lived on the edge of the Dragonry, but she worked at the scrap yard, so I don't know if they ever crossed paths. I should ask her. Maybe they met once or twice."

"I'm glad I met her," Noah murmured softly. "I wish I had more memories of her, though."

His father reached over and patted his arm. "You were only two when she passed away. I wish you had more time with her, too." He pulled in a breath and let out a sigh. "But the time we did have with her was precious. Anyway, I know she'd have loved to see us all like this, together again."

Noah nodded and hopped out of his chair. "And as long as we're together - Grandpa, do you still have that Dragons and Tunnels game?"

Grandpa Jenkins laughed and popped a third piece of cornbread into his mouth. "Yup. Third shelf in the closet. Nel, you like board games?"

Nel was quiet as he listened, picturing the family together with warm and pleasant feelings. He smiled when Noah mentioned sleepovers, though a bit shyly. "I'm looking forward to it. Though, I haven't slept in the same room as someone else in a long time."

Not since he was little, and lived in a small place in the country with his parents. He was sure it would be all right, and that he would sleep just fine, or else be all right until he had time to take a nap the next day, if the night didn't go well. It sounded nice; sleeping in a home with people in it was different from simply hearing others moving about in the dorms through the walls of his room.

"Maybe if she saw a picture," Nel mused thoughtfully, wondering if Malia had been at the Dragonry so many years ago. She had been distracted at the beginning, he thought, starting up a new life. Even if she had met Anna, he wasn't sure if she would remember.

At the mention of board games, he smiled a bit and shifted forward to set his tray aside, pulling the blanket a little closer around his shoulders despite the food having helped warm him. "I haven't played many, so I'm afraid I'm not any good at them, but I don't mind losing." He was always willing to try. It would be nice to share an activity with everyone.

"That's okay! My father's not good at board games, either," Noah said with a laugh.

Mr. Harn crossed his arms in mock annoyance. "Hey! I go easy on you, that's all!"

"Then what about our game of cards the other day, eh?" Grandpa Jenkins asked, smirking.

"That doesn't - ohh, I'll show you all how to play a game!" Mr. Harn burst out.

Eventually the group got settled in for a night of board games. After a few different games and a late night snack of popcorn balls and juice, Noah was starting to get sleepy. He yawned widely and rubbed his eyes. "Mmpfh. I don't know about you guys, but I think I might head to bed soon." He gave his father and Grandpa Jenkins a hug. Then he turned toward Nel and offered a hand. "Nel? You coming?"

Pumpkin squeaked. He licked a spare popcorn crumb off Mr. Harn's facd and hurried over to join the pair, swishing his tail. He wasn't tired yet. But he knew bedtime meant cuddle time.

Nel laughed softly at the way they teased each other, feeling warmed in more ways than one, and settled easily enough into learning the games Noah wanted to play. They weren't all very difficult, proven by the fact that he even won one of the rounds they played, and he found himself simply enjoying their time without thinking too much about all the work he wasn't doing, about all the things he wasn't getting done. It was all right to take time for himself, Malia always tried to tell him. He just hadn't had much reason to until now.

When Noah offered him a hand, Nel accepted the help to his feet, carefully folding the quilt and setting it on the chair where he'd been settled before moving to follow. "Goodnight, Mr. Jenkins. Mr. Harn. Thank you for having me." He smiled down at Pumpkin as the little dragon followed, amused and endeared by being followed. "Coming to keep Noah company, Pumpkin?" He asked, amused, as they headed up the stairs. "Just as long as you don't steal his blankets."

Grandpa Jenkins smiled and waved. "Any time, Nel! Yer always welcome here. Feel free to wake me up if ya need anything."

"Me, too," Mr. Harn added. "I'll be in the room right next to yours."

Noah waved at them again, and then went the rest of the way back up to his room. There he flopped down on his bed and sighed happily. "Lately, Pumpkin's been sleeping with whoever goes to bed first - usually Father. But it's nice to have him with us this time." He patted his pillow and whistled. "C'mere, Pumpkin."

Pumpkin squeaked and hopped up onto the bed, curling up on Noah's pillow.

Noah chuckled and leaned back against him. Then he glanced over at Nel and smiled. "So, are you going to start sleeping near your dragon? I plan to sleep near Chaital once we finish the new building additions." He pointed at the window and nodded. "Then she won't have to watch me sleep any - oh! Soot's there, too."

Two eyes took turns staring in the window at the pair. Chaital would watch for a few moments, and then Soot would gently push his way over.

Nel only listened quietly as Noah talked, taking a seat on the other bed in the room but not quite lying down just yet. It was strange how peaceful it felt, when usually he would have become uncomfortable at others' attention after so long and felt like he needed to go for a walk and be out in open air. Perhaps it was just that they were all so welcoming. It felt like he was allowed to be there, rather than simply intruding on their home.

"Oh, no, no, it's best he continue sleeping out with the others." He said a bit distractedly, going over the feelings in his head but at the same time thinking about Soot and what he might need. "It's good for him to learn that he has to be on his own, some days, so he doesn't end up panicking each time we're separated. As much as I would like to be by his side to guide him along every step of the way, some amount of separation is necessary to be sure he can function alone."

He blinked finally, interrupting his own train of thought and looking almost startled at Noah with a slight flush to his cheeks in the dim lighting of the room. "N-Not that I am trying to - to say that you are wrong for wanting to sleep by her side - Chaital spent plenty of time with other dragons and people before she left - it's just that Soot is a very special case and though he's doing well, having him constantly at my side could handicap him as he learns how to behave. . ."

He trailed off finally, having pushed the explanation out in an embarrassed rush of words to avoid hurting Noah's feelings. He didn't want the decisions he made with Soot to make Noah feel like he was doing anything wrong, it was only that their dragons were very different, and they were very different themselves, and they would likely not agree on many things when it came to how they treated their dragons. It was strange, still, for Nel to think of any dragon as his own. He supposed, really, that he was more Soot's than Soot was his.

Noah curled his arms behind his head, listening with a smile while Nel explained his plans to help Soot continued to grow. Then he blinked and chuckled a bit when Nel started explaining and stammering. He held up a hand and waved him off. "Nel, it's okay. I understand. Of course our dragons are different. And they need different things. You know that better than anyone."

He shrugged and leaned his head back. "But you know, maybe once Soot's come into his own, and you both need somewhere to stay - you could come back to the old windmill! The expansions will definitely be done by then." Then he yawned and let his eyes slip closed. "But for now, our dragons can just watch us through the windows. They'll be fine for a night. I know Chaital will be. Um - as long as it doesn't rain again. But maybe the shelter would be enough to keep her from freaking out again . . ."

Nel only nodded a little when Noah reassured him, looking down at his own lap and telling himself he shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly. Noah was a nice person, and he was a very positive thinker so far. Nel just didn't want to accidentally make him feel bad, as he did to others at times.

"I . . . I stay at the rider's dorms," he said with a little shrug. "They were made for shorter visits from working riders, but Malia lets me have one for myself. . ." It was a small place, and not meant for long stays, but it was enough for him. He was grateful to her for letting him stay without charging him for room and board. "But I would like to come and visit, some time." He was not ungrateful for Noah's hospitality, either, and the younger man seemed to enjoy his company as far as Nel could tell. It would be nice to have someone to visit so near to where he lived and worked.

"I'm going to wash up a little before I sleep," he said after a pause, getting to his feet and walking to the window to open it for just a moment. "You can sleep here, Soot, if you want to," he called softly down to the dragons, realizing he hadn't actually told Soot he was staying the night. "I'll be sure to wake you before I leave in the morning."

With Soot sufficiently warned, he gave the dragon a little wave in way of goodnight, quietly shut the window, and turned to go and wash up in the bathroom.

"The rider's dorms, huh? Do you like it there?" Noah asked, tilting his head. "I mean, they definitely seem cozy and all, but . . . I think I'd get lonely staying there by myself for so long. But maybe it's different for you." He smiled and clapped his hands together. "We'd love to have you come back and visit! Literally any time," he added warmly.

He yawned again and closed his eyes when Nel announced he was going to go wash up. "Sure thing, Nel. I'll see you in the morning!" And within just a few minutes, he'd begun drifting off to sleep.

Soot was delighted to see Nel again. He squeaked and tried to lick him through the window. Then he curled back up with Chaital and Boulder, snuggling himself in between them. If Nel was going to stay the night, then Soot would, too - especially in a place as warm and safe as this.

Nel thought to say that he was used to being on his own, but somehow it didn't quite make its way out of his mouth. Was it something that sounded sad, he wondered? He thought about it as he washed in the bathroom, counting how many years it had been. He'd been on his own for two years before he'd come to the Dragonry, and while he had a lot of people around him that were good and that he thought were very important, he wasn't sure if they were considered his friends. When he had started out it had felt like they were all helping him because they felt bad for him, like parents helping a child that wasn't theirs, and he supposed that feeling had never gone away. It was his fault then, he thought, that they weren't closer.

He would have to resolve to be more like Noah, and try harder to make friends with others.

When he came back to the room Noah was already sleeping, and outside the window the dragons had stopped shifting about and gone still. Nel laid in bed with a small smile on his face, content and happy despite the strange feeling of sleeping in an occupied room. It felt almost sad, remembering the last time he had done so, but not long after closing his eyes he drifted off with pleasant dreams of home.

The next morning, the scent of cinnamon rolls wafted up through the stairs. Mr. Harn was whistling softly downstairs.

Noah yawned and stretched, arching his back before slowly sitting up and glancing around. Hopefully they'd gotten Nel somewhere warm in time to prevent a cold. He rubbed his eyes and rolled out of bed before stumbling downstairs; he was sure Nel would follow him soon.

"Morning, Noah," his father called. "How are you feeling?"

The young man smiled sleepily and nodded. "Uh - good, I think. Kinda sleepy. But not bad. Breakfast smells amazing."

"Thanks. Where's Nel?"

"He was still sleeping when I left. I'm sure he's okay, though."

Outside, the dragons had begun their morning routines. After a long drink from the nearby river, Chaital and Boulder began preening each other, and Soot happily joined in. The trio stayed close by the house and waited patiently for their own breakfasts to be served by Grandpa Jenkins.

Early in the morning, Lily had gone to work as usual, only to be turned around before she could even pick up her normal load for the day. Someone else was taking her route, and she was to go back to the Dragonry and be on call as their own personal messenger. It struck her as strange, but given all that had happened she only accepted it and went back with Infernus to check in. Having Malia promise to pay her usual wages was a relief that nearly had her collapsing into a chair, as she'd been ready to work herself up about helping out without complaining and just trying to stretch her and Reed's funds a little further. It made Malia smile, at least, despite all the trouble they were dealing with, and she promised to send someone to find Lily if she was needed. Until then she had only to stay at the Dragonry until she was needed, or else to let Malia know if she was going to go home for any amount of time.

Infernus was still saddled and ready to go, but rather than going home and disturbing Jasper's work she headed off to Mr. Jenkins' house to see if Noah was awake. Infernus spotted Chaital, Boulder, and Soot first, giving them single note, barking calls as they descended to say good morning and to alert them that he was coming down. They landed a ways off from the house so as not to scare anyone, and after giving Lily a gentle nudge to see her off he went to the shelter to be with the other dragons as she went to the door.

"Good morning!" She called when she could hear noises in the kitchen, waiting patiently for someone to come and answer. "It's Lily, Mr. Jenkins! Is Noah home?" She couldn't imagine he would have gone anywhere so early, especially with Chaital still around, but one never knew.

Upstairs, Nel slept peacefully on in the warmth of his borrowed bed, exhausted from the day before.

Last edited:
"It's Axle, Lily!" Mr. Harn said, laughing and poking his head out the door. "Grandpa Jenkins is sleeping in, and Nel's sleeping over. Noah's right here."

"Hey, Lily!" Noah burst out, poking his head out below his father's. Then he laughed and ran out to pull her into a hug. "It's so good to see you! Do you have time to stay for breakfast? Father's making cinnamon rolls!"

Mr. Harn smiled and pulled the door open. "Come on in, you two. The others will join us when they're ready. Lily, can I get you anything? Something to drink? Fresh fruit to go with the cinnamon rolls?" he added.

Noah finally pulled back, his eyes glittering. "It feels like it's been forever since I've seen you. How are you and Infernus? What've you both been up to?"

"Oh, hello!" Lily smiled when Axle came to the door, and laughed as Noah popped up next to him, holding her arms out when he came out to her clearly looking for a hug. "Cinnamon rolls? I chose a good day to come by!"

She followed Noah and Axle into the house, feeling more relaxed about the change in duties already with their positive energy around her. "Oo, fresh fruit and water, please."

Once they settled more or less in the kitchen, she gave Noah a smaller, less enthused smile, and shrugged. "We're okay. Work changed suddenly today, though. I'm supposed to stay here to run any urgent messages Malia needs delivered, so I guess for now we're grounded."