Breath of Fresh Air

Noah chuckled and nodded. "Ohhh. Gotcha. We'll just stick to rolls and stuff that'll come in handy, then. At least for now," he decided. Noah raised an eyebrow, though, and he crossed his arms when Lily said she didn't always wear a tow line. ". . . Hm. Experienced flyer or not, you should probably try to keep that on more often. Especially during long stretches. A fall from high up hurts."

Then he chuckled a little bit. "Me surviving that first fall down here does not count. That was an accident."

-----

"Wonderful. You know, while you're finishing with your sandwich - I am a bit curious about the Hatchery. And dragon eggs in general. When do most dragons lay their eggs? And when do eggs hatch? I should very much like to witness a baby dragon hatching, if ever that becomes an opportunity."

Pumpkin finished his treat and crawled around on the floor, sniffing at various objects and occasionally licking one to examine it.

Lily held her hands up in surrender, smiling a bit sheepishly still but backing down nonetheless. "I know, I know, you're right. I'll do better. I've got time on the ground now, so I'll find a replacement line." Hers was broken, currently, and had been for weeks. It was hard to remember some things, even though the levels of 'high up' that she and Infernus usually flew at wouldn't so much 'hurt' as kill her instantly. For Noah's sake she didn't say that part out loud.

Nel didn't like that she was without one, but didn't speak up. As someone who didn't have much money himself, and knew the sorts of prices dragon gear went for, he could understand her hesitance to replace things even when they were vital. And he was lucky enough to live where he worked, though he knew he should start saving for a saddle of his own eventually. Unlike him, she still had rent to pay.

Malia shrugged, waiting until she was done chewing to answer and fighting the urge to go faster since he was done eating already. She was sure he wouldn't mind waiting for her. "Some dragons have a mating season, and others don't. An egg can hatch anywhere from days to months after it's been laid, and having one here isn't always a good thing. It often means the parent isn't around anymore, or can't take care of the egg properly, though sometimes it's just a matter of it being safer indoors, if they're all right with us keeping it. Many dragon species' eggs need to be kept much warmer than is strictly safe to do in an uncontrolled environment." She didn't want their dragons setting the entire area on fire, so it was best to keep the eggs near the warming furnaces in the hatchery instead, if any of their dragons were to lay. Since the dragons that came and left from them were often sick or injured and left after being nursed, they didn't have eggs all year round, most years.

Last edited:
"Oh, you need a new tow line? Why didn't you just say so?" Noah asked with a grin. "If you want, we could go to my father's factory after training and pick one out for you! Gotta keep my friends safe, after all," he added, pulling her into a hug.

He paused and raised an eyebrow. "Actually . . . we should probably do that before we go training. Nel, you wanna come with? I could give you a tour of the factory!" he added. "Oh! And you could both try out the elevator! It's pretty great. I know Lily's used it before."

-----

"Ah. Well hopefully if I do see any eggs, it'll be for a happier reason," Mr. Harn decided at last. He scooped Pumpkin up and kissed his muzzle. "What do you think? Would you like to see a baby dragon?"

Pumpkin chirped and licked Mr. Harn's nose.

The man smiled and turned him over onto his back, rocking him like a baby. "Then again, you basically are a baby dragon, even after all these years."

Lily was trying to decide what to protest, either getting something for free or being unable to pay Harn prices, but relaxed into the hug and smiled a little against Noah's shoulder. "I promise to be safe," she said, rather than try to fight it, and would just see how things went. Even if it was just to keep Noah and Jasper from worrying, she would wear it even when she didn't want to, and try her best to keep up with all her equipment maintenance.

Nel blinked in surprise when Noah asked if he wanted to come with them, shaking his head a little with downcast eyes at the thought. "I . . . I don't belong up there. . ." He said, voice gone a bit quiet and nervous. Where he was, at the Dragonry and in Lower Floaten, it was all right to live as he pleased, all right to wander barefoot and not always know what sorts of social cues were going on around him, everything informal enough that he could get by without feeling terribly out of place. But in Upper Floaten, with all the people who made more money in a year than he would in his life, where one wrong twitch could make someone act horribly insulted or mocking, he wouldn't know what to do. He was better suited to life on the ground.

Malia smiled at the way Axle and Pumpkin interacted, finishing off her sandwich and brushing a few crumbs off her desk into her hand to throw them away. "It's been almost a year since we've had one around, so I'm sure we'll be due for some soon. We don't typically go that long without seeing them, as there aren't very many facilities equipped for their care. Baby dragons can . . . present unique challenges." Like clawing at staff or burning down nurseries. It was best to have other dragons around willing to help out, especially with the hatchlings of larger species.

Noah scoffed. "Not with the hoity-toity assholes, you don't. I don't, either. But in the factory? Hell yes, you would! We specialize in dragon saddles, and it's pretty relaxed up there. You sure you don't want to swing by and check it out? We can always leave if you don't like it," he added. ". . . You might want to wear boots or shoes or something, though. Sometimes there's a loose nail or whatever on the factory floor."

It hadn't even registered, until Nel pointed it out, that the upper crust in the city might not approve of him walking around barefoot. But Noah was sure he'd like the people in the factory, who were all working class and very open and honest.

------

Pumpkin let his head dangle limply against Mr. Harn's arm, letting his tongue loll out like he'd died.

Axle snorted and shook his head. "Good thing babies don't play dead like this ham. So! Ready to go check out the greenhouse?" he asked Malia. "Uh - you might have to hold the basket. Pumpkin has taken my arms."

Nel flushed a little and just shook his head, though he managed a faint smile at the assumption that he wasn't going to put on shoes to go somewhere outside the Dragonry. It was a fair enough guess, considering the last day or so he hadn't had them. "N- No, that's all right. . . You go. I'm sure my shoes have dried by now." He just only had the one pair, so while they dried he hadn't had a substitute.

Lily gave Noah's arm a few little pats to stop him from asking again, knowing Nel was uncomfortable and that Soot would probably freak out if he went that far anyway. "I've gotta clear it with Malia before I can go anywhere, but your dad's having lunch with her, right? If I can borrow a tow line from the supply building, we can get in a little flying before we go ask." She didn't want to interrupt their lunch date.

Malia got to her feet with a little laugh at both Pumpkin's theatrics and Axle's reaction to them, taking her jacket from the back of her chair and slipping it on as she came around the desk. "Oh, now you're bringing me a chore for my break?" She teased, picking up the basket and gesturing for him to walk with her, giving Pumpkin's tail a little shake as Axle got to his feet. "You're lucky you're cute. I'm sure you get into all sorts of trouble."

"Yeah, but - " Noah started, but his voice trailed off when Lily tapped his shoulder. He cleared his throat and and smiled. "Anyway. For what it's worth, you belong with me and this family. You're a great guy, Nel," he added, reaching out to pat his shoulders.

He glanced back at Lily and smiled. "But yeah, great idea about borrowing a tow line from the supply building! That'll work for today. Should we all swing by and say hi to Malia and my father?"

-----

Pumpkin made a variety of chattering sounds, pretending to protest and moving his head around dramatically. Then he chirped and reached out to lick Malia's hand.

Axle chuckled and held Pumpkin a little closer, blowing raspberries on the dragon's scales and making the dragon squeal again. "Aw, it won't be too difficult, I hope. I know you're strong enough to carry a basket," he said, glancing up at Malia with a smile. Then he headed for the door, humming happily. "Right, then. Off to the greenhouse!"

Lily laughed softly and shook her head at Noah. "I was trying to say we should fly first so we don't interrupt them, but if you don't think your dad would mind, we can go see them first." It was rude to interrupt what she was starting to think of as his and Malia's date, but they were both relatively relaxed when it came to things that weren't business-y and important, she thought, so interruptions probably wouldn't bother them too much.

"Oh?" Malia prompted back as Pumpkin made noise, like one might when listening to a babbling baby. "Is that so? Well, you sure told me." She couldn't help smiling at the way Axle played with the little dragon. She could imagine him doing much the same to a tiny little Noah, blowing raspberries into his skin until he shrieked with laughter. Whatever else he was, Axle Harn struck her as a very good father. She could only hope her own child's father played with him the same.

When Axle commented on the basket she only chuckled and walked past him to guide him, glad he had played along instead of clamming up. "Once upon a time I was strong enough to lift you," She shot back, amused. "But office work hasn't softened me so much I can't manage a little picnic basket, don't you worry. I'll lead the way."

Noah clicked his tongue and waved his hands. "Nothing doing. If we're flying, you're wearing a tow line, end of story. Especially if we end up practicing rolls. Safety first," he insisted with a smile.

He finished up his breakfast and set the dishes in the sink to soak. "Everybody else ready to head out? The dragons are probably done eating by now."

------

Axle snorted. "Strong enough to lift me? I don't know about that. I've eaten far too many pastries for my own good. I'm not as light as I used to be." He took a deep breath of fresh air as the pair stepped outside. "But I've no doubt you're strong. I can tell. I've seen your arms."

Pumpkin hopped out of his arms and into the tall grass, swerving back and forth but still staying close by Axle and Malia.

"So you mentioned the greenhouse has lots of plants related to dragon illnesses and things of that sort. Any that can be used by humans?" Axle asked.

"I would've borrowed one. . ." Lily tried to insist, an almost embarrassed little smile lingering on her face still, then just shook her head. "Nevermind," she said quietly, letting him carry on and deciding it was best not to argue.

"I should go back to my quarters, so I can get your clothes washed," Nel said as they moved towards the door, having set his dishes with Noah's and started to follow the younger man out. "Be careful out there." He was sure that together they would be safe enough, even in Upper Floaten. At least, he hoped so.

"You doubt me?" Malia raised an eyebrow at Axle as they walked, but didn't press. She would have challenged him to an arm wrestle at a later date if she didn't wonder if losing would hurt his feelings. She decided just to laugh at little Pumpkin's antics instead, shifting the basket to one hand to peruse what was inside.

"Not something I would recommend," she said with a little wince, as if remembering a time when that had been tested. "Dragons have a very different physiology than we do, after all, and often outweighs us by tons. Something potent enough to help them along could put you in the ground. The greenhouse is off limits to anyone young enough to still have a habit of putting things in their mouths, but unless you were to actually eat something there's nothing to fear from our plants. Except hay fever, I suppose." One never knew if they were allergic to plants they had never seen before, after all.

Noah chuckled softly. "If you won't hear it from me, you'll hear it from Chaital. I know we act reckless sometimes, but we've gotta keep our friends safe," he added, looping an arm around her shoulder. "Nel, should we meet you by the supply shed when we're ready? I can't wait to fly with you and Soot again!"

Eventually he led the way outside to the dragons, and he walked over to pat Chaital's side. "Hey, Chaital. How're you doing?"

The dragon rumbled and gentle pressed her face against his, closing her eyes.

Noah beamed and kissed her forehead. "Good. Hey, can you and Infernus wait down here? Me and Lily have to go to Upper Floaten to get a tow line."

Chaital huffed and bobbed her head in a nod. Then she wandered over to Infernus and pawed at his shoulder before dropping into a play bow, chirping an invitation to play.

"Sweet. Dragons are relaxed about it. Ready to go, Lily?" Noah asked.

-----

Axle smiled and shook his head. "Oh, no. Not at all," he promised. "Say, could you pass me some grapes from the basket?"

He listened carefully to the warnings about the plants, nodding. "Got it. So they're only for dragon consumption. Which plants do you all use the most often?"

"I'm listening, I'm listening!" Lily insisted with a little flush, beginning to feel embarrassed at having admitted to not being safe, but did still loop her arm around his back when he embraced her and walked to the door with him that way.

"I should have a look around to make sure everyone is okay," Nel said with a little nod as he followed after, "but I'll go there as soon as I can. If - If I'm late, you can go without us." He didn't want to hold them back or make them wait for him. It would be all right for her and Soot to catch up. Soot probably wasn't going to have a lot of endurance in him anyway.

Lily didn't go to embrace Infernus like Noah did for Chaital, just giving him a big smile and a wave. "Be good, Fern! We'll be back soon, then we'll go flying." She laughed when Chaital tried to play, though, and waved her hands at them to get them to start moving. "No playing next to the house! Shoo!"

Infernus huffed at her, having jumped up to his feet when Chaital started to bow, then turned his body away from her and paused, tense with an amused, lashing tail. The second she moved he took off running, wings tucked in against his sides and using just his legs so they could play on the ground.

Lily smiled as Chaital took off after him and just gave Noah's arm a tug. "All right, let's get going."

"Sure," Malia murmured as she found the grapes and separated a small section of stem so she could have the handle of the basket at the inside of her elbow and use both hands to pick off individual grapes. "We use a root plant most commonly called Devil's Foot the most, I would say. Ground up and combined with the leaves of yucca trees, they make a very good medicine for what is sort of like a common cold in dragons. Nothing serious, but it eases their discomfort."

She handed him a few grapes once they were free of the vine, then, and looked up to see the greenhouse not very far away. It was a large building, made of glass panes that were fogged up from the inside, given the temperate nature of the greenery visible inside. "Here we are. I don't think we have any ready for harvesting right now, but some other day I can show you the ones we've taken and dried for later."

Noah finally relaxed and smiled. The more time he spent around Nel and Chaital, the more careful about his activities he became. He wondered whether his father had gone through something similar after Noah was born. Out of necessity to keep his son safe, maybe he'd started keeping himself safe, too.

He watched the dragons run off with a warm smile. Then he waved at Nel and nodded. "Sure thing. We're not in any rush, though - we'll meet you by the supply shed whenever you're ready."

Then he laughed when Lily tugged his arm, quickly following after her. "I'm coming!" he promised.

Once they were a good distance away, he smiled and raised an eyebrow. "So how've things been lately?" he asked.

------

"Ahhh. Much like the jelly medications they make in Upper Floaten. All sorts of different kinds, but mostly for minor injuries and illnesses," Axle agreed, nodding.

He popped the grapes into his mouth with a hand briefly, and then went back to holding Pumpkin with both hands. "Huh! Looks rather warm inside. Are people permitted to go in and just sit among the plants?"

Lily waved to Nel and left him to check on Soot and see if the dragon wanted to follow after him as he went home to change and then carried on with his duties. As she and Noah started to walk, she gave a shrug.

"Things are good," she said, unsure how else to answer the question. "Jasper's got a new commission, so that's always good. Though it does mean he has to put off working on Koatl's foot for a bit." But they could always use the money, so it wasn't like he could turn it down for personal projects. "How about you? Having fun with your grandpa still? What've you been learning with Nel?"

"We do keep a supply of plants and more refined medicines meant to stop bleeding or help mend bones," Malia explained with a shrug, moving past him to pull the door open and allow him in. "But larger injuries are less common, and have a higher mortality rate. We pray we don't have to use them, but we keep growing them in case we need them." If dragons fought, wounds from claws and powerful bites could cut very deep, even past another dragon's scales. Sadly, chances were that if they needed to use medicine for deep wounds, it wouldn't be enough."

As they moved inside, she gave Pumpkin a very serious look. "Now, if you wander off, don't eat anything. If you want to try, you must ask first, or you'll be horribly ill." The inside of the greenhouse was like its own, well contained forest. It was kept humid inside by all the plants and their care, and there were walkways just wide enough for a person to move in between rows of plants. "Come." She said with a smile, leading the way. "I'll show you the Devil's foot. It sprouts a very pretty red flower above ground."

"I love staying with Grandpa! He and Father get along so well," Noah said at once. "And Nel's teaching me and Chaital so much. I'm getting really good at putting harnesses and saddles on!" His expression softened. "I'm glad we'll get to hang out more often. I've missed you."

-----

When the group stepped into the greenhouse, Pumpkin sneezed from all the strong smells of the plants, wrinkling his muzzle and opening his mouth.

Axle laughed in delight. "Oh! I've never seen you make that face before," he said, patting Pumpkin's head. "You all right? Do you want to wait outside?" He set Pumpkin down near the doorway, and the dragon gratefully scampered out into the nearby grass. Axle smiled and glanced back at Malia. "Looks like we won't have to worry about him. So, where are the Devil's Feet?"

"That's good!" Lily encouraged with a smile, nodding along. "Nel's a real nice guy. You'll be an expert in no time!"

When he said he missed her, she gave him an almost teary-eyed pout for a second, then linked their arms together and leaned almost too heavily into his side, making their path wobble a bit as they corrected it together. "Aww, Noah! I missed you too! Everything's a little crazy right now, but . . . being on standby here at the Dragonry will give us plenty of time to hang out together. It'll be a nice change of pace!"

It would give her time to rest, she thought, but kept that to herself. It was hard sometimes, having to work long days almost every day of her life to make ends meet. That was just the way of things, in Lower Floaten. Even people like Jasper who worked from home, took commissions, and could be a little more flexible with his time still had to work hard to be sure work kept coming steadily.

Malia smiled at the way Pumpkin reacted, just because the face was quite funny on such a small dragon, but was already moving to open the door again when Axle set him down, aware that the little one did not agree with all the foreign smells inside the greenhouse. It did not always smell like flowers and perfumes, more often like earth and fertilizer, but Malia had come to be used to it anyway and didn't mind so much. Pumpkin could just smell things a lot better than she could.

"That must have been a shock," she said with a light chuckle as they turned to walk further into the greenhouse, waving Axle along with her as they ducked through the long leaves and stems sticking out of pots and beds of soil on either side of the path. "Over this way. Only some of the flowers are in bloom, right now, but there should be one or two. The 'foot' part of Devil's Foot is under the dirt, so I can't really show you that, but if I had to describe it I would say it looks like a beige carrot, shaped a bit like dragon claws." It might have been called Dragon's Foot, if it hadn't been named centuries ago when dragons were thought of only as mindless destroyers.

"Here we are." She stopped beside a bed of deep green sprouts with even darker buds, perhaps a third of them sporting wide red flowers with maroon around the edges of the petals, and a green vein through the center of each. "A bit shocking, compared to the dainty wildflowers we have in the fields," she said of the large, hand-sized flowers, and gave Axle a small smile. "What do you think? I would suggest them as your next fashion accessory, but the colors of the petals bleed very easily as soon as they touch their own sap." It looked almost like bleeding, which was perhaps another reason they were called Devil's foot.

Last edited:
Noah nodded eagerly, giggling when Lily bumped against him and almost pushed him over. "I hope he sleeps over more often! It's so fun sharing a space with people. Oh! That reminds me - do you wanna stay at the old mill while you're on Dragonry duty? There's like four beds in my room if you want to use one. Or are you gonna stay at your and Jasper's house still? Either way works."

Half of him felt guilty about the possibility Jasper might be left alone for a while. Who would remind him to eat? Or take breaks? What if he made himself sick working too hard? Maybe Noah and Lily would just have to remember to visit him once or twice a week to check up on him.

-----

Axle was still laughing lightly at Pumpkin's face, but he was still careful not to touch any of the plants, just in case any of them transmitted medication topically. "Yes, poor fellow. I can't say he's seen this many plants in one place before."

Then his eyes widened when he was introduced to the Devil's Foot. "Oh. I say! That is a gorgeous plant," he murmured. "Too bad it's not wearable. But it's very important to dragon health."

Lily smiled big and happy at the way Noah laughed, just leaning into him and holding tight as they walked together. "Hmm, I might stay over once or twice," she said thoughtfully, considering the idea. "But since it's too dangerous to fly at night unless it's an absolute emergency, I'm sure I won't be on call after the sun is down, so I'll probably go home most nights. Who else is gonna make sure Naga hasn't burned the house down?"

She laughed at that, but though she was always concerned for her friends Jasper was an adult. He could take care of himself, and despite all his bluster about them not being babies he would die before he didn't take care of his dragons. They would be good enough reminders that he needed to eat and rest, when they wanted to do the same.

Maila chuckled at Axle's reaction to the plant, just gesturing to it with one hand. "It's all right to touch, as long as you don't tear the leaves. It won't leak color onto your hands if it stays in one piece." Most of the things in the greenhouse were safe enough for existing near or handling without gloves. If they hadn't been, they would have been sealed behind another layer of glass, with signs up to warn inexperienced personnel away. Unless directly ingested, the plants around them were harmless enough.

"Fair enough," Noah said with a chuckle. "Besides, somebody's gotta make sure Jasper doesn't work himself sick. I know he can take care of himself, but - I worry about him, ya know?" He shrugged and smiled. "Anyway, he'll be glad to have you back, I bet. And I'm happy we get to hang out more!"

He made his way through the fields, eventually pulling out his breathing mask and putting it on once they started getting closer to the city and the elevator. "So, uh - since you're gonna be here at the Dragonry for a while, what sorts of stuff do you want to do during the day?"

----

Axle snickered. "I wouldn't tear it on purpose. But if I tried to wear it, Pumpkin might nibble at it or it might get caught on something, and I'd scare my poor family half to death if I walked in with red liquid pouring from my head," he explained, though he ran a hand delicately over the flower's soft petals. "Hmm, you know - I bet there's at least one place here in Lower Floaten that sells fresh flowers that won't bleed. Do you know of one?"

"You say that like I wasn't already thinking it," Lily said with a chuckle, shaking her head at the thought of Jasper working himself too hard and forgetting to do things like take breaks or eat lunch. "But I'm always away at work in the daytime and he hasn't knocked himself out yet. He'll be okay." She did like to remind him to stop and eat dinner so it would break the flow of his work and encourage him to wind down for the night instead of doing metalwork until two in the morning, but for the most part he was okay.

Lily pulled out a mask of her own when Noah got his, smiling at him one more time before he couldn't see it anymore. "I hadn't really thought about it yet. I'm so used to flying around with Fern all day, being on my own two feet almost feels unnatural." She laughed at that, shrugging for Noah and trying to think. "There's always stuff to be done around the Dragonry, so I thought I might help out while I'm around, and maybe go on a few walks with Fern, since we don't usually get to be on the ground together for very long at a time. And of course, we can work on teaching you how to fly!" She was probably just going to make each day up as she went.

"There should be one," Malia said with a little shrug, considering and thinking of how long it had been since she had thought of plants anywhere but the Dragonry, "though I'm not sure if they're still in business, I haven't been there in a while. It's more difficult to grow plants underneath the upper city, given limited light conditions and air quality, so there was a greenhouse probably about this size at the opposite edge of town, I think. Once the air filters were in place, and they figured out how to get enough light, they did well enough at growing a select list of flowers in pots and beds. Nothing very foreign like this one." Their own greenhouse required constant maintenance.