Breath of Fresh Air

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Soot chirped and descended with Nel, calmly circling and landing carefully nearby. Then he tensed and sniffed at Chaital. Whatever was going on, she was clearly distressed. His ear fins flicked forward and back a few times. Finally, he trotted over, gently curling his neck around hers and pressing up against her with a soft cooing sound.

Chaital snorted at first. But eventually she felt Soot's gentle breathing and heartbeat, and she slowly relaxed, whimpering and folding her wings.

Noah panted and ran a hand through his hair. "What the hell was that? All of a sudden, she just dropped down and went crazy," he told Nel, carefully unbuckling his harness and sliding off Chaital's back. He squeaked in surprise when Chaital picked him up by his shirt and curled around him, covering him with her wings. "Chaital! Hey. It's just rain. It's okay. I'll be fine!"

Nel was unhooked before they had fully touched down, wary of falling but knowing that from just a few feet up he wouldn't truly get hurt. He got down off Soot's back the second they landed and was going to go to Chaital, but ended up having to move out of Soot's way instead. For a moment, the black dragon's empathy struck him quiet and still. It was astounding how a dragon with very little socialization could not only know how to comfort another, but to feel compelled to do it as well. Soot was going to surprise them all with his recovery, Nel had never been more sure of it than in that moment.

"I'm not sure," He began, moving closer to be sure Noah was okay, but again had to move out of Chaital's way as she dragged the younger man back to her side, and when she held him so close it finally began to make sense. "Oh. . ." He said softly, a pained furrow in his brow, a hand coming to rest against his chest like the realization had struck his physical heart. "It . . . It was raining that day . . . wasn't it? The day you lost him. . ."

It hadn't been fully clear what had happened, when Chaital had lost her first rider. His body had been found with the sounds of her mourning, and he had clearly fallen from a great height, but Nel had forgotten until that moment. The heavy rains that day had likely played a part in the accident.

Slowly and carefully, Nel moved closer to Chaital's protective circle, and when he was sure he had permission enough to be close knelt down in the grass next to her head. "When Ardell fell from her back, it was storming. . ." He said softly, a strain in his voice, and when he reached out to put a hand atop her head and let her know he was there he found himself fighting back tears at the sight of her pain. "I'm sorry, my friend. . . I'm so sorry."

This was not something he could make better for her. When she had calmed more he would make sure she knew Noah would have the proper gloves and shoes, to keep his grip firm even in the rain, but it was going to take a lot of work and trust to get her to fly in foul weather again.

When Nel drew close enough, Chaital spread her wing out and pulled him into the protective circle. She made a soft rumbling sound, deeper and more mournful than normal, and began preening both of the boys' hair, licking them gently.

Noah's eyes widened, and he held a hand to his chest. "Ardell was her other rider," he realized. He glanced up at the inner membrane of Chaital's wing and gently set a hand against it. "It must have been slippery when it was raining, and he must not have had a tow line, and . . . oh, Chaital. I'm so sorry," he murmured.

He leaned against her chest and swallowed a lump in his throat. "I promise I'll always wear my tow line, okay? I promise."

Chaital quivered a bit when another roll of thunder passed by the group. But she kept her head below her wings to stay with Noah and Nel.

Then Soot gently nudged his way in as well, poking his head through to gently lick Chaital's cheek. He'd never had a reason to fear the rain - in fact, it was a rare treat for him to be in it. He pulled his head out again and nudged Chaital's wings, trying to get her to play in the rain with him.

But Chaital kept them closed tightly over the humans and stayed firmly where she was.

That didn't stop Soot. From between Chaital's wings, Noah watched the dragon jump through the raindrops, roll through the wet grass, and attempt to eat the rain by chomping at it. He giggled a bit and nudged Nel's shoulder. "H - hey. Look at your dragon, dude."

Nel was focused on Chaital, grateful for Soot's attempts at assistance but otherwise not giving the black dragon as much attention as he usually would have. He only closed his eyes for a moment, letting Chaital pull him closer and groom him however she liked, murmuring softly to her that they were safe, that he was so sorry she hurt, and petting gently at the side of her neck as she nudged at him. He wished he could do something to take her pain away, but like all other loss it was going to have to be something that always hurt, that she would simply have to learn to recover from.

When Noah pushed for his attention, Nel made a soft, questioning sound and turned enough to gently guide Chaital's wing up a bit so he could see, and despite all the pain around them it warmed his heart to see Soot playing. How often had he ever found cause or freedom enough for things like that? The fact that he could still romp and be happy and free made Nel want to cry for different reasons, rejoicing for Soot's recovery even as he mourned Chaital's loss.

"We'll keep him safe." Nel said softly after a moment. "We won't let it happen again. We'll be careful. . . I'm sorry, my friend. I know it hurts," he turned back to her, putting a hand under her chin very gently to encourage her until she could see Soot as well. "But the rain isn't all bad . . . is it?"

He hoped, at least, that seeing Soot so happy, playing and frolicking in the rain, would help her not feel quite so terrible about the weather itself. He didn't expect it to heal her, or to make her stop worrying, only to assist her in making another small step towards recovery. She could shelter Noah as she pleased, and he wouldn't stop her, not for now. When he thought she could handle it, he would leave her to the younger man and go encourage Soot as well.

And when Noah heard the soft words Nel gave to his dragon, his expression softened, and he leaned back against Chaital's chest. He'd be hard pressed to find anyone else more understanding of dragons than Nel., besides maybe Lily. He smiled and leaned his head back to listen.

But soon he was distracted by watching Soot play in the rain. It was a strange but awesome sight, watching such a large dragon roll around and frolick, and he couldn't pull his eyes away.

Chaital let her chin be lifted ever so slightly. Then she spotted Soot splashing and playing in the puddles. But instead of a look of delight, she stared at him with horror. Did he want to fall to his death? She called out in a panicked squawk, flaring her wings.

Soot paused and tilted his head. He still couldn't see anything dangerous. But if Chaital was that scared of the rain, she needed comfort more than he needed to play. He trotted over and curled up next to her, chittering softly.

Only then did Chaital begin to relax, wrapping her wings around Soot as well as Nel and Noah.

"Aww. Thanks for protecting us, Chaital," Noah murmured.

Nel let out a soft, regretful sort of sigh when Chaital only grew more agitated, petting gently at her and doing his best not to frown when Soot stopped playing to come to her side. As much as he wanted to help her, he didn't want to dampen Soot's joy, not when it was such a big step in his recovery. Perhaps, if the rain lasted long enough, he would take Soot out to play later on.

"It's all right," he said gently, a soothing hand resting around the base of one horn, just letting her feel the warmth of his presence. "The grass is perfectly safe, even when wet. No one is going to get hurt. . . Why don't we find you somewhere dry to rest, hm? You'll feel better inside somewhere. Come. We'll walk carefully."

He was sure they could find room for her in one the shelters for dragons available, even if she had to squeeze in. Many dragons paid no mind to the weather when it was just rain, or otherwise understood others' desire not to be wet and would make room. He just had to get her moving.

Last edited:
Chaital chattered worriedly, but she slowly got to her feet, shielding the group with her wings and following after Nel.

"That's a good girl," Noah murmured. He kept one hand on her shoulder as they walked, doing his best to comfort her. "We're almost there. Just keep following Nel."

Soot's spirit wasn't dampened in the slightest, but he was worried about Chaital being afraid of something as peaceful and refreshing as rain. He licked the rain drops off her as best he could in confusion. Was she afraid of the water itself? The thunder sounds? The flashes of lightning? He rumbled softly and chirped at Chaital.

Chaital chuffed back, pressing her head against Soot's shoulder and closing her eyes. Everyone was safe on the ground. They would be all right. Noah would be all right. She could even feel his hand on her side.

Once the group had gotten inside, Chaital curled up in a stall and preened Noah and Nel's hair.

Soot curled up next to her, but he made sure to leave most of his body outside in the rain to enjoy the sensations.

Nel was sure to go slowly enough that Chaital wouldn't pester him for so much as moving in the rain, eyes roving about the area as they went to make sure everyone who was seeking shelter could find it. It was nice if Chaital to try and keep him dry, at least. He only regretted that she had to feel such fear, and resolved to speak to Malia as soon as he could about what they could do to help her.

When they were settled in where Chaital could be dry, Nel sat and let her fuss over him for a little while before pushing her head gently over to Noah, giving her a smile to try and reassure her. "Stay here where it's nice and dry, okay?" He encouraged gently, and shifted back to start getting to his feet. "I have to go check on the others and be sure everyone is staying dry, all right? Noah will keep you company." If he left and came back unharmed, he thought it might help prove to her that staying on the ground wasn't so scary, at least.

Thankfully, now that she and Noah were somewhere warm and dry, Chaital seemed much more open to letting Nel and Soot out of her sight. She laid her head near Noah and gave a few soft chirps.

Noah smiled and ran a hand over her cheek. "It'll be okay, Chaital. We're safe. And Nel and Soot will be safe, too."

Once Soot realized Nel was on the move, he hopped to his feet and lifted his head, ready to follow his human wherever he went. Maybe there were other dragons that needed help, too. Soot fluttered his wings to cause a sprinkle of rain drops and chuffed happily. And when Nel stepped out into the rain, he lifted one wing over the boy to keep him dry - though he kept flapping his other wing, trying to play at the same time. He'd only stopped playing to make sure Chaital was all right, but he loved the water and rain.

Nel gave Chaital one more gentle caress before pulling away from her, glad when she let him go easily. "We'll be back soon. I promise."

He gave Noah a little wave as he went, carefully shooing Soot out of his way and preparing himself to walk in the rain. It was a pleasant surprise when the dark dragon shielded him with a wing, and he couldn't help the warm smile he gave Soot in response. "Oh- thank you, my friend," he said softly at they started to walk, grateful now that he had never retrieved his shoes as they would only have been soaked through again. "I don't mind a bit of water. You don't have to shield me, you can play all you'd like while we walk."

He was sure Soot would want to come with him as he made a trip around the grounds and checked on the other dragons, especially their newest feral additions, to be sure if they wanted shelter they could find it. He wouldn't mind getting wet so Soot could play.

Soot tilted his head, thinking the response over. If Nel was okay with getting soaked in the rain, then he was fine with letting him get wet. He pulled his wing away and started frolicking again. He jumped in puddles and leaned his head back to try and catch raindrops in his mouth. It had been so long since he'd even seen rain, and it reminded him of his early days before he was put into captivity.

Now he was free again, and he could play in the rain all he wanted.

His eyes took on a mischievous twinkle when he spotted a nearby mud puddle. Soot paused to glance at Nel, and then look back towards the puddle, indicating his nefarious plan. He didn't even wait for a reaction before lunging into the puddle face first and rolling around in it, sending splashes of mud through the air.

Nel laughed softly as Soot finally gave in and pulled away from him to frolic in the rain, marveling at what he could only think of as a happy freedom romp. It made him unfathomably happy to see Soot experiencing such joy, and between that and looking around as they went to see if there were any dragons in need of help he didn't notice the looks Soot was giving him until it was too late.

"Wait- hey!" Nel shielded his face with an arm and burst into surprised laughter when Soot splashed him with mud, running ahead a few feet to get out of range before he could turn and watch the dragon flopping around in the mud. "What a troublemaker! Does that feel good?" He chuckled to himself again, pushing damp hair back away from his eyes and looking at the mud splashed on his clothes with fond amusement. "It's nice, isn't it? Feeling the earth beneath your feet. Even if it is a little messy."

He could have been upset, he supposed, both at Soot getting dirty and at the dragon getting him dirty, but he didn't mind enough to be irritated about it. How could he mind, when it was possible this was the first time Soot had ever been out in the rain? Thinking of just how the dragon had been treated, Nel didn't think he could ever have found it in himself to deny his friend some fun just because of a little mess.

Last edited:
The dragon craned his neck around, revealing his entire face splattered with mud, and he opened his jaws and let his tongue loll out in what could only be described as a smile. He rolled around in the mud for a little longer before finally getting to his feet. A few shakes got most of the mud off, but his paws were still a bit sticky, so he glanced around to spot a lake or river to dunk in.

Luckily, there was one right nearby.

He trotted over and hopped in, letting his wings spread out across the water's rippling surface. Then he pulled in what appeared to be a large drink of water. He wasn't sure whether Nel would like swimming, but he thought he might appreciate being clean again, so he took aim towards the boy and sprayed him with a shower of cool water. He chirped happily and stretched one wing out towards the shore.

Then he watched Nel expectantly. If Nel wanted to, he'd be allowed to use the dragon's wing to walk out and ride on Soot's back like a floaty.

Nel couldn't help laughing at the way Soot turned to look at him, happy in the face of the dragon's joy. There were some that would bawk at the mess, he was sure, or scold someone for running about out in the rain and cold, but he was so used to wandering around outside that the weather hardly fazed him. When Soot bounded off towards the river, he only followed, keeping a safe distance so he wouldn't be caught by either wings or tail.

"I thought you liked the mud," he said a bit teasingly as he watched Soot wade right in, wary as he wasn't quite sure what the dragon't reaction to swimming would be like. He tilted his head, making a soft, questioning sound when he saw Soot taking a large mouthful of water, only to give a startled little cry and shield his head again when it was spat at him.

Laughing once more at the spray, Nel shook himself like a dog and wiped droplets away from his eyes. "Thank you, I guess?" He managed through the confused amusement, looking at Soot with an eyebrow raised and a faint smile on his face. "I suppose I was going to get this wet eventually anyway. . . Where are we off to?"

He approached carefully, not wanting to slip on the grass or mud, and only after a couple of cautious, testing steps did he walk across to Soot's back, not wanting to accidentally hurt the dragon. "Let's drift downriver?" He suggested, gesturing the way he wanted to go when Soot looked at him. "We can check on the others out in the fields, and make sure they knew where they can be under a roof."

Soot was even more delighted by the water than the rain - or even flying. Not only did it feel fresh and cool, but it helped support his body, and there was no harsh wind like there was in the air. He let out a chortling gurgle, similar to an alligator call. Then he folded his wings up and drifted downstream like a giant swan.

Some of the smaller dragons from Chaital's feral colony poked their heads out at them through the grass, weaving in and out of the reeds. Soot sniffed at them with interest and clicked his tongue in greeting. The little dragons clicked back, and seemed content to watch the pair from a distance as they traveled.

After a few minutes, Soot stuck his head underwater to see what it was like. He quickly learned he could blow bubbles. He lifted his head a bit higher to the surface, and then pressed his muzzle into the water and created a stream of bubbles that trailed behind him as he floated. While he wasn't a dragon species that was primarily found in water, it was clear that he was indeed a water loving dragon.

Nel stayed still to allow Soot to get used to how the water felt with both of their weight, accepting the way it soaked further into his clothes and thinking he would just have to get warm when all was said and done. He couldn't help but smile at the way Soot called to the other dragons, a constant surprise with how well he was warming up to the others. Even if Nel thought he should still be wary of jealousy issues later on, he was glad Soot had chosen to open up to him. Finally believing he was safe and had a place to belong was doing well for the sheltered dragon.

"Oh," he said with a little smile when Soot began to play with the water again, turning his body slowly to follow the trail of bubbles as it went behind them. "I see you're learning new tricks already. We'll have to come back when the weather is better." He reached out and patted at Soot's shoulder just to get his attention, pointing back towards the feral dragons. "Will you wait here for me? I need to go and make sure they don't need anything. I won't take long." Soot didn't even need to get out of the water. Nel was already wet, so he might as well hop in on his own. He didn't want to ruin Soot's fun by making him go back.

With the gentle pat on his shoulder, Soot lowered his tail and used it as a rudder to stop himself against the current. He soon followed Nel's gaze and realized what it was he was asking. So he swam up to the bank and stretched his neck out to form a walkway onto the wet grass. Then he lay his head on the grass and watched.

The little dragons scattered at first when Nel approached. But then, one at a time, they'd briefly poke their heads through the grass to sniff at him or chirp at him. And it quickly became a game. They would pop out and scamper through the reeds, trying to make it across the spaces in the plants before Nel saw them. Even when one dragon stumbled and didn't quite make it in time, they squeaked happily and carried on as though they hadn't been spotted.

Soot's ear fins twitched with interest, and his eyes dilated as he watched the goings on. The game looked fun, but these dragons were far too tiny for him to join in that particular game safely.

Nel wobbled a little where he sat when they suddenly stopped moving, glancing around as if to see how Soot had done it though he couldn't actually see the dragons tail. He blinked at Soot when the dragon's eyes turned expectantly back at him, and after a moment of thought to decipher the body language began to make his way carefully off Soot's back.

"I . . . I really don't want to walk on you," he murmured softly, almost timidly. Soot was a good sized dragon and could probably take the weight, but Nel didn't feel good about it, stepping all over his friend. It felt degrading. He would rather soak himself to the bone than treat Soot like the people that had kept him.

Carefully, Nel slipped into the water and just used Soot's head and neck to keep himself from drifting, one hand braced carefully on the dragon until he could pull himself up onto the riverbank. He walked slowly and cautiously back to the little ones, kneeling down at first when they wouldn't come out and turning back and forth to try and see them when they came to investigate him, then laughing softly at the way they ran back and forth making happy sounds.

"Well that's not fair," he said gently to them. "You're much faster than I am. But I guess you must be happy enough in the rain." They weren't bothered by it, at least, and didn't seem to be running to any larger dragons or trees or shelters to be dry. "Are you warm enough? Are you hungry? You can come with us, if you need anything." If they were fine, he would leave them to play and continue on with Soot to find others. Dragons were not foolish creatures. He could be confident enough that if they were unhappy with getting wet they would find somewhere to hide.

Soot tilted his head when Nel slid into the water instead of using his neck like a bridge, but eventually the dragon decided that Nel must like the water as much as he did. He chirred softly and gave Nel a nudge up onto the bank with his muzzle to help him get over the muddy sides.

The little dragons paused and settled for a moment to consider Nel's words. They'd just eaten a short while ago, and were having plenty of fun running around in the tall grass. After a few moments they scattered off again to continue on with their game. They were having far too much fun to worry about the rain, and they had a nearby burrow to sneak into if they changed their minds.

Soot chuffed when Nel approached, and he kept his head near the bank so Nel could move along his neck to get back onto him. If this was what patrols were like, they were pretty exciting, and he liked watching what the other dragons were up to.

Nel watched as the little dragons seemed to consider, then only smiled a little when they decided to ignore him. Clearly they weren't bothered by the water, and with their claws for purchase and tails for balance they weren't in danger of hurting themselves by falling on wet grass. They would be just fine on their own.

"A little further down the river," he explained as he walked back to Soot and eased his way back into the water, "then we'll get out and walk back through the fields. Oh, thank you." He was grateful for the support Soot stretched his neck out for, not wanting to have to swim the short distance to the dragon's body as it would mean sinking even deeper than he really wanted to. He was careful in climbing up, using one of Soot's front legs to push himself out of the water and giving another little 'thanks' when Soot turned around to give him a push up once again. His clothes were heavy now that they were full of water, and it would've been much harder on his own, not to mention uncomfortable to drag himself up across Soot's scales.

"Have you seen Naydra yet?" He asked as they continued their trip downriver, sitting peacefully with his feet pulled up out of the water so as not to get too cold before they were done. "She likes to stay in the water, but since it's raining she might come out. She hides under the surface, so don't let her startle you." Naydra was a long, wingless dragon, more suited to a lake or ocean than the Dragonry, but she had simply never left after arriving with an injury, despite healing fully in a relatively short amount of time. Nel suspected she just found it easier to have her food delivered to her than to go out and hunt on her own.