#BoycottBeyonce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious this time.

ZgwIASL.gif

@Nydanna

I'm not going to go into the whole White Privilege thing because that's just going to cause a derail, but. Beyonce has in fact donated to a number of charities.

Beyoncé: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars
Beyonce's Camp Responds to Belafonte's Criticism She Doesn't Do Enough
I'm not a fan, so I don't really know. I do know that she bailed out the idiots in Baltimore during the riots, and she lost any respect she could possibly have earned from me for that. But I won't get started on the clusterfuck that was, because Baltimore, the mayor, and everyone in the general area handled the whole situation like shit. I'm not saying Baltimore was a great city to begin with. In fact, it was just listed as #19 on the world's deadliest cities. It's my hometown though, and it sickens me that there was a sensible and peaceful way it could have been handled, but it wasn't. What I'll never understand is why are people rioting for criminals anyway? Travon Martin I could understand, because he was a kid and we'll never really know for sure if he was simply walking around innocently, or causing trouble. (I honestly think it was a bit of both. Not saying that the idiot who shot him was telling the whole truth, or that the kid deserved to be assaulted or shot.)

Why aren't people rioting over the kids that get caught in the crossfire of gang fights? Where's the outrage and disgust for them?

Social "issues" aren't even issues at all. Pretty much all of them revolve around people wanting society to cater to them and be responsible for their feelings. Projection and insecurity. That's all it is. Some of my previous points I made basically speak for themselves.
I literally have no words. I can't remember the last time my jaw literally dropped reading something. Congratulations.

rmdSx.gif

@Nydanna

I didn't know either. I found out in three seconds by Googling "Beyonce charity"

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Torsty
I wasn't eating anything during halftime @Astaroth I was at work. So yeah. But if I was at home, then I would of been eating like...hamburgers or something super 'Merican because my family (Actually my dad and brother) are big fans so...

Probably eating that.

I literally have no words. I can't remember the last time my jaw literally dropped reading something. Congratulations.

rmdSx.gif
Safe spaces exist ya know. That alone proves my point. Plus people who talk about said social issues like to go into a collectivist rage about it and use identity politics. Sorry but just because I'm a black woman doesn't mean I feel the same as other black women. Then again I don't try and blame society for my insecurities and use projection like they do.

@Artorias @Seiji @Gwazi Magnum

I AM GOING TO KILL ALL OF YOU.

Go make a thread about what you were eating during the Super Bowl, you jackasses. >:[

@SacredWarrior

Whoa, holy shit, settle down. Opal never once spoke for you. She expressed dismay that YOU were telling her that her problems don't exist. So really, who is speaking for whom? :[

You know, everyone's talking about Beyonce, but I haven't seen a single person mention Lady Gaga!

Seriously, she nailed the National Anthem. I was literally tearing up listening to it. (With all the good goosebumps to go along with it.)

Let's look on the brighter side of things, because there's not nearly enough of that going on!

You know, everyone's talking about Beyonce, but I haven't seen a single person mention Lady Gaga!

Seriously, she nailed the National Anthem. I was literally tearing up listening to it. (With all the good goosebumps to go along with it.)

Let's look on the brighter side of things, because there's not nearly enough of that going on!
Lady GaGa OBLITERATED that National Anthem! It was fantastic!

@Artorias @Seiji @Gwazi Magnum

I AM GOING TO KILL ALL OF YOU.

Go make a thread about what you were eating during the Super Bowl, you jackasses. >:[

@SacredWarrior

Whoa, holy shit, settle down. Opal never once spoke for you. She expressed dismay that YOU were telling her that her problems don't exist. So really, who is speaking for whom? :[
My point is this. Just because you experience a problem doesn't mean that it's widespread and that everyone who shares your race and gender goes through it in the same manner as you do or even goes through it at all. Maybe people outside of your race and gender can sympathize with you instead. Nor should anyone be coddled if they face an issue solely because of their race and gender. The world doesn't revolve around anyone and no one's problems (assuming they even are problems that affect a collective to begin with) are more significant than anyone else's.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I hope the discussion my art studies professor will hold tomorrow about Beyonce won't end up like this thread. ._.

My point is this. Just because you experience a problem doesn't mean that it's widespread and that everyone who shares your race and gender goes through it in the same manner as you do or even goes through it at all. Maybe people outside of your race and gender can sympathize with you instead. Nor should anyone be coddled if they face an issue solely because of their race and gender. The world doesn't revolve around anyone and no one's problems (assuming they even are problems that affect a collective to begin with) are more significant than anyone else's.
I don't understand how you cannot possibly have sympathy for those of your group - whether it be race, sexuality, gender, class, anything - that suffer because they are part of that group. I'm a lesbian, and though I was incredibly lucky to have such a loving and supportive family, many other LGBT people are not so lucky. 40% of homeless youth in the United States identify as LGBT. It's an epidemic. Likewise, I haven't been assaulted or murdered just for being a lesbian, but many LGBT people have been. I have incredible empathy for them. I would never, ever deny that this is an incredible problem, that people have to endure simply because they are LGBT. It's something that needs to be acknowledged, brought to light, and fought against.

I genuinely don't understand your mindset.

• Love
Reactions: Hana
Lady GaGa OBLITERATED that National Anthem! It was fantastic!
Yes she did. I don't know why, but I'm always surprised to hear her sing. I know she's good, but you never really figure out how good she is because she doesn't reveal it all at once.

Yes she did. I don't know why, but I'm always surprised to hear her sing. I know she's good, but you never really figure out how good she is because she doesn't reveal it all at once.
I'm the same way. I'm a massive fan of hers. I know for a FACT she can sing, and destroys songs over and over again, but it always comes as a wonderful surprise and treat to hear her sing and do well, especially live. I feel she's one of maybe a dozen popular American vocalists that actually have it, where the rest need their lip synching machines and auto-tunes.

@SacredWarrior

That's all true, but social justice movements exist because people DO share a common experience. Because there are statistics. Because a large number of people are encountering the same issue.

Saying everyone experiences every issue the same way or at all is ridiculous. But that doesn't mean that the people who are experiencing an issue are invalidated by those who aren't. That's just not how people work. o__o

Just because an issue doesn't affect you doesn't mean it isn't worth talking about, either. Like you're talking about, people who don't have that experience CAN sympathize with people who do.

Meanwhile, telling someone to suck it up because you don't think it matters is just sort of inherently hostile.

Reactions: Torsty
When I let go of being bitter and defensive about my station in life and things I couldn't help, as well as stopped making judgements on things based on the behavior of the extremists, I learned A LOT about social and economic issues. most of that education came in the past two/three years even. O__O You have to get past all the rage-filters, though and that takes a lot of conscious effort.

AND HELL YEAH FOR LADY GAGA! ANOTHER WOmAN ROCKING IT LIKE A BOSS. 8D

I don't understand how you cannot possibly have sympathy for those of your group - whether it be race, sexuality, gender, class, anything - that suffer because they are part of that group. I'm a lesbian, and though I was incredibly lucky to have such a loving and supportive family, many other LGBT people are not so lucky. 40% of homeless youth in the United States identify as LGBT. It's an epidemic. Likewise, I haven't been assaulted or murdered just for being a lesbian, but many LGBT people have been. I have incredible empathy for them. I would never, ever deny that this is an incredible problem, that people have to endure simply because they are LGBT. It's something that needs to be acknowledged, brought to light, and fought against.

I genuinely don't understand your mindset.
I don't let race, gender, or sexual orientation determine whether or not I have sympathy for someone. Those things have no bearing for me. If I can relate to the person and sympathize with them, I do just THAT.

I'm a straight, black, female, egalitarian. Yes LGBT folk are still going through discrimination and yes it is an incredible problem. I actually HAVE many LGBT friends who are suffering through those things you mentioned and I feel for them.

Homophobia is the only major and rampant thing I see happening nowadays. NOT racism. And sure as hell NOT sexism. Yeah they exist but not in the ways social justice advocates think. With the legalization of gay marriage last year in the U.S (about fucking time too!), the LGBT community has jumped a HUGE hurdle but they still have to overcome bitches like Kim Davis and the southern U.S (FUCK YOU ALABAMA!) But sadly homophobia will always exist because humanity is terribly flawed.

My mindset is this: Unless said people are facing these issues because of their race, gender, or sexual orientation, don't let that be the determining factor in WHY you sympathize with them. Sympathize with them simply because you're human just like they are. And for the love of God make sure the issues that you're tackling actually affect the said demographic that you're targeting disproportionately. Otherwise, you have to talk about ALL victims of it. Not just one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kestrel
I'm the same way. I'm a massive fan of hers. I know for a FACT she can sing, and destroys songs over and over again, but it always comes as a wonderful surprise and treat to hear her sing and do well, especially live. I feel she's one of maybe a dozen popular American vocalists that actually have it, where the rest need their lip synching machines and auto-tunes.
I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get to hear her David Bowie tribute yet. I keep telling myself I'm going to watch it, but I'm holding out for my TV to be set up this week. I think that's the only part of the Grammy's that I really care to watch. That and listening to Taylor Swift lash out at Kayne with more grace than most people have.

I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get to hear her David Bowie tribute yet. I keep telling myself I'm going to watch it, but I'm holding out for my TV to be set up this week. I think that's the only part of the Grammy's that I really care to watch. That and listening to Taylor Swift lash out at Kayne with more grace than most people have.
I really hope Lady Gaga sings a cover of Magic Dance or Underground! Taylor needs to put Kanye in his place! Then again I am a Swiftie so.....

• Love
Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
I don't feel like getting involved with the general discussion of this thread, but I do want to commend the following;

I don't let race, gender, or sexual orientation determine whether or not I have sympathy for someone.

Whether you feel racism, sexism, or any -ism is a thing or not, their concepts are rooted in division. By separating people into groups and defining them through labels more than through how they act as a person, you are - no matter your intentions, promoting segregation. This divisive mindset is at the root of any and all of the -isms, because you treat people differently based on a trait shared by a group. The only way to come close to solving this is to stop attaching so much value to the colour of your skin or your sexuality or gender. Being black, white, male, female, straight, gay, none of that should determine your worth as a person. It doesn't make you better of a person. It doesn't make you less of one either.

Only with this realisation you can truly see others as equal. I may not be on board with all of SacredWarrior's points, but this is so incredibly important. While I don't want to address anyone in particular in this thread; the people fighting for more rights or levelling the perceived playing field really should not be doing what they are doing if they cannot grasp this concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.