Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by SacredWarrior, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For those who missed the Super Bowl, Beyonce is under a lot of fire and criticism for her halftime show and now there seems to be a boycott movement going on.

What are your thoughts on this whole controversy?

I don't really care for Beyonce personally. I like some of her songs (most of them are because of nostalgia) but that's about it. Personally I think other artists like Ciara and Aaliyah (RIP) are better than her in terms of dancing and singing.

As for her halftime show, well I can see why people are outraged. She pretty much chose the world's biggest stadium to spout her rhetoric that no one cares about. Not the time or the place.

Supporting the Black Panthers could mean she's either supporting the original BPs or the New BPs (which is a hate group) and people are probably assuming she supports the latter hence the outrage.

It's like someone getting outraged by a celebrity using the swastika in their imagery yet they could be using it because they're a Buddhist not because they're racist.

I'm just looking at this from a different perspective I suppose. What do you guys think?
  2. How dare that woman use her art and fame to make a statement! She should be up there entertaining me with her hot bod and dancey music! >:[

But for real, though. GOOD FOR HER! She's got a platform and she knows how to use it to promote the things she cares about. o__o Peeps that think it's all about the hate-group black panthers are the same people that are not really all that educated in social issues to begin with. Haters gonna hate.
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Honestly I was just watching to see this mysterious "almost fall" lol.

Personally I really don't care. I feel people read way to heavily into this stuff and make a big deal over everything. It's like, 'cuse me sir but have several seats, mk?
  4. I honestly don't give a fuck about Beyoncé or the super bowl.

However. I understand people don't want get politics injected into their sports. If the superbowl is anything like football over here, the audience doesn't give a fuck about the skin of who is on the field; as long as they play a good game. ie; a space where people are judged based on their merits. Whether you're a hero or heckled depends on your achievements and skill.

Who am I kidding though, it's not about what you do. It's about who you are. Call me when we're solving problems instead of changing the seasoning of division.

EDIT: Read more. Watched the actual thing. New conclusion; this uproar is retarded. People not Beyoncé are making this political. Well played sensationalism, you've done it again.
    #4 Kestrel, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    • Thank Thank x 1
  5. So long as it was single ladies and run the world it was, "Yaaaaas, B! Yaaaaas!" and now that she sings a song embracing her culture and black features it's #BoycottBeyonce. Because...that's mostly what the song is about. Embracing love for her culture. And suddenly that's bringing politics into sports? Really now? Okay guys, suuuuuure...and go ahead and bring up support for the BPP which is, once again, showing love for her culture. Which the BPP impacted immensely. This is really just racist white people feeling bitter that something wasn't for them. It'll pass, she'll still sell out every show. Now, onto the bigger issues in this world than petty white people, cool? Cool.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I... was honestly expecting something much more political than what I just watched on YouTube. She sang a song about black empowerment (which was upstaged for the most part by Uptown Funk) and her backup dancers wore black berets. That's what has everyone's panties in a wad?

Are we seriously that sensitive as a culture that we can't deal with historical references?
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
    • Thank Thank x 1
  7. Who's Beyonce, again?

Ahem. I don't care because what she says/sings/does has no impact on me. I just want to watch the Superbowl. If people want to inject rhetoric into their art, or scream in opposition to said rhetoric, that's their problem. I couldn't care less if I tried.
    #7 Dipper, Feb 12, 2016
  8. The people crying about the fact that a political statement was made are just stupid. Oh no, someone made a song about something maybe controversial and sung it at the Super Bowl, how will we get on with our lives? And the dance and such were also in line with that political statement?? WELL FUCK ME, AMERICA IS RUINED, NO MORE SUPER BOWL EVER, THE PUPPY BOWL IS NOW THE NEW MAIN ATTRACTION EVERY YEAR AND BEYONCE ISN'T INVITED!

I could maybe understand the butthurt about the Black Panther Party reference specifically if it was coming from a historically informed point of view, but it's not. It's a mildly awkward reference given the New BPP being what it is, but whatever, she was very obviously meaning to create a link to the original BPP. The people freaking out about it seem to be mostly idiots conflating the two distinct groups and saying she's supporting a hate group. The few people I've seen taking a swing at criticism aimed at the original BPP tend to go with some variation of "they were violent cop killing thugs!" That's a fucking stupid tactic too because there was far more to the story than just the BPP killing cops, such as all the people jailed or killed by cops simply because they were part of a group that the government didn't like. Seems like the idiots trying to cast the original BPP as just some violent gang have never heard of COINTELPRO and have no idea what kind of fucked up things the FBI got up to in regards to the BPP and other agitating groups.

Now, I could understand a stance along the lines of saying that espousing support for the BPP in the currently volatile climate of racial tension and anger toward police in general was a bad idea because it might inspire foolish shitbags to go out and kill a cop to try to emulate the BPP... but that's not the kind of argument anyone seems to be making. I doubt the vast majority of the people slinging the hashtag around and raging on social media could even muster the brain power to come up with a nuanced opinion like that. -_-
    • Like Like x 3
  9. The day you make a thread that isn't social issue/ controversial pop culture or video game related, I'm going to be convinced you were replaced by a synth.

Anyways, had a semi-heated discussion with my girlfriend about this last night. My point that having a call out to the Black Panthers with that imagery is kind of tasteless in the same way as Taylor Swift showing up with Klan robes to a concert (hypothetically speaking) didn't go over so well. Yes, I know there's a difference between the two, but at face value controversial and violent race hating groups shouldn't be idolized as empowering, regardless if one stemmed from systemic oppression verses being a majority lynch mob.

I think it's great and all that Beyonce is trying to evoke black pride and what not in the face of all the bullshit with discrimination and violence that's gone on the past few years, but let's just say it's better that Martin Luther King Jr.'s message of acceptance and tolerance taking hold of public opinion instead of Malcolm X's much more hateful and dividing views was much better for society as a whole. Anger is going to tear people apart, and one shudders to think of how bad South Africa could have been if Nelson Mendella didn't encourage forgiveness and reconcilliation between the black majority and their former white oppressors.

Tl;dr when demonstrating racial pride and making a bold statement, maybe not evoke imagery associated with violent hate groups.

EDIT: I saw Jorick's post after I posted mine. I actually wasn't aware there was an original Black Panther Party that wasn't responsible for the violent actions associated with the name. You learn something new every day, but it also goes to show how time and distance can colour how something is perceived; up here in Canada, I never learned about the Black Panthers in school past using them as a contrast to MJK Jr. when discussing the civil rights movement. Situations like this are why history is so important to learn because of what lessons can be forgotten in time and what messages are distorted.
    #9 Dervish, Feb 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Cat Like Typing Detected Cat Like Typing Detected x 1
  10. Lol same.
  11. She makes stupid faces and I dislike her music.

Therefore I give 0 shits about her political agenda.
  12. [​IMG]

• Nice execution! Nice execution! x 4
  13. Never cared about Beyonce.

Never cared about Super Bowl either.

Hadn't heard about this before this nifty lil' thread.

This seems like just another demonstration of human stupidity, how to take things too seriously, and the good old mob mentality.

I can't bring myself to care about Beyonce and her statements, most people will forget about this thing in a week or so anyway.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. is THAT what it was?? I was feeling really stupid watching it trying to figure out where she was "spouting political rhetoric" O_O I didn't even catch the reference, tbh.

and totally with @Diana; Queen Bey has the right to use the platform available to her via her position and influence in the public sphere to promote anything she wants. ANYTHING. You have the right to disagree with her, and to react/vote with your wallet by boycotting her, but the second you start telling someone what they can and cannot say, whether they're a celebrity or your next door neighbour, that's censorship.

Yes, she's influential and we expect her to realise that her words and actions influence the actions of her fans, but we can't force her to act any particular way. Honestly, she's already restricted, as are all public figures, by her PR team. She really can't get too radical about anything that won't be largely - and by largely I mean near-universally - supported otherwise she will lose her good image and celebrity standing.

We also have to trust that people are rational enough to make informed choices and look at things critically. People who can't make rational choices are going to do crazy things regardless; we can't shut off ALL the misguided voices in the world.

Also I really don't think her intention was to promote hate O_O
  15. Found the problem right here, ma'am..

Also she might have done it for controversy, which it did. Controversy sells and gets her attention. Any attention is good attention to someone selling something.
  16. Black Panthers have always been a hate group. o.O At least from a historical point of view. Any group that feels they need to be militant or violent to get their point across should be considered a hate group. I can have respect for Martin Luther King, because he preached change in a nonviolent way. He was about peace. The Black Panthers were not.

My problem with the whole thing is that it wasn't the time or the place for that sort of message. If you want to make a statement, fine, but not during an event that's being watched by millions that really aren't watching to see you. No one watched the Super Bowl to watch Beyonce. They watched it for the game. (Duh!) Plus, I think it was pretty hypocritical to have that sort of display, then join in with Coldplay who stated that they wanted to show unity. (Something along those lines. I wasn't really listening to the dude when he was talking about it. I just know he wanted to show unity. X_x)

As for boycotting her, I've already been doing that. I personally don't like her, and her music is crap. There are a few songs I'd listen to on the radio here and there, but I would never actively purchase any of her music. But, if people want to let her know that she pissed them off, the best way to do it is to hit her in the damn wallet. I doubt a few thousand people refusing to buy her trash music will really put much of a hurting on her, but there's really no other way to hurt her. Unless you're absolutely crazy and want to go to jail.....
    • Like Like x 2
    • Nice execution! Nice execution! x 1
  17. Both true! That's why power controls are necessary in society in order to make sure these people who cannot make rational decisions can't do too much with their decisions. Of course these power controls aren't perfect either, but we'll not get into politics. Not everybody makes rational decisions; and we're not even just talking about the clinically insane here, we're talking about the impressionable, the under-educated, the prejudiced, and lots of other groups, too.

Even perfectly sane, mature, and educated people tend to think less critically when taking in information from a source they trust or admire.

Which, as you say, is the problem when someone with a large following makes a statement promoting something harmful (which, again, I really don't think is what she was trying to do). Especially if that person's demographic is not especially focused on people with critical analysis skills, as is the case with entertainers like Beyonce.

The issue under discussion here is basically: should celebrity figures be allowed to promote harmful or misguided viewpoints, considering the influence they have on the actions of their following.
    My answer is yes. I'm very anti-censorship, and trying to tell someone what they can and can't say regardless of what platform they're saying it from is censorship. I think people should be allowed to say whatever, even if it's stupid and hateful. The people who agree with them most likely either already thought that way or are not able to make rational decisions for some reason or other. If it's not the big voices (political leaders, celebrities, etc) influencing their opinions, then it's going to be smaller people, but they're always going to have a slew of opinions from all sides, and if they can't think critically and be rational, they're not always going to come out an mindset that's good fro society. That's not a problem we can fix by putting duct-tape over people's mouths unless they say positive things.
    Now at the same time I absolutely believe that media has huge influence in society, and should take responsibility for that influence, but not in the form of censorship. I think their responsibility should be in the form of educating people to make better decisions, promoting criticism, research, and careful consideration. Not likely to happen anytime soon, but a better fix in my opinion than censorship.

Very good and grounded arguments can and have been made to the contrary, but having considered both sides and my own personal ideals and morals, this is the opinion that I've chosen :)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I think people are more annoyed because there's a time and place to do that
  19. Activism doesn't fit in to the time and place box. >:] It forces a place to get people to listen when they otherwise would refuse. So if not a huuuuuugely publicized event where millions and millions of people are watching, then when and where!

Granted, it's just as easy to jump up there and push the KILL ALL THE PUPPIES agenda. O__O But I think it's pretty badass to see an artist use her fame and opportunities for something good. (and of course the goodness is my opinion >>; ) There's a lot of famous people that have all this power and opportunity and then use it be crass and shocking instead of bettering the world. D:
    • Love Love x 2
  20. Wherein lies the problem...

What was she talking about exactly just so I'm not ignorant here?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.