Bleach: A New Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm okay with negaters, I'm not too particularly fond of the copy and negate given the kinds of people who tend to try to make use of it. An ability either should or shouldn't exist based on the balance scale, not justified by bartering stats. However, I'm not the GM so all I'll say for now on the ability is that you need to elaborate exactly what you're able to negate and not.

Also, an aggregate of souls teeters on the creation of a new, unspecified race since it doesn't really fit under what a special human is by Bleach definition. I want to say its something closer to a living mod soul variant. But once again, this is at GM discretion. I cannot say it was not well considered.

Yea, i'll accept it as-is, but if he starts using it and things get out of hand because of it than i'll interfere, but for now it's fine.

Yay~! I'm glad you accepted him. Though to be fair, you are certainly correct about the imitation and negation thing. It is a little vague. Elemental attacks comprised of a single element are capable of being negated once certain conditions are understood about the nature of their abilities. For example, Sun Shao would be able to defend against low quality attacks by simply aligning his qi to create resonant waves that nullify them. But attacks that have greater potency, can only be negated once Sun Shao has complete understanding of an opponent's skills and intents as an individual. In order to have a real advantage against an opponent, he has to either have known them beforehand, or fight with them long enough to understand them through combat. So considering his laughable level of stamina, the second option isn't really viable. Even in regards to imitation, Sun Shao is unable to bring out even one fourth of the strength in a copied ability, in comparison to the target in question. It will never compare to the original in terms of power, but it does at least add some moves to his repertoire. Both skills require an understanding of the skills origin, in order to be negated or copied. To be specific, an even greater understanding of the target is required, for a technique imitation. Thus, I will not allow Shao to use this ability unless given express permission by the person he is fighting. If this isn't clear, or you still feel uncomfortable with the imitation and negation abilities, I'll gladly rework it so as not to step on toes. ^^

---edited---

Last edited by a moderator:
To make it a little simpler for you, I'll explain my question. You answered part of it which has to do with precision and understanding.

Are these only offensive, beam and ball type capabilities that we're talking about or including static (like buffs) abilities, rule (where things happen differently due to an ability. And example from canon would be Shunsui's games), debuff status (anything that affects an opponent but not by damage dealing like Aizen's hypnosis or Shini's reverse), in place status effects (like Mayuri's paralysis poisoning), on object effects (like the Mayuri's paralysis poisoning again), etc? What about things not specific to a zanpakuto like kido (which is stated as not usable), shunpo and other movement techniques, and so on. Can these things be copied? For example, copying a kido seems something that could be potentially done by understanding but most zanpakuto abilities are either doable or not. No amount of understanding Kyoka Suigetsu just all of a sudden gives one the ability to use it unless you assume all possible abilities to be part of a generic pool.

As I've said before, I'm not running this and will never tell someone not to run something if the GM is cool with it. I'm that kind that removes a problem if it is a problem which I don't anticipate it will be. I'd just like everything nicely ironed out so it is done so now and not on the spot.

OK. Well thank you for phrasing the question differently. I'm a little slow sometimes! Abilities that represent who a person is on a quintessential level, for example, their Kessen Ougi, can't be negated or copied. Poison caused by spiritual affliction can be negated, but not copied. In order to copy skills, you have to mimic someone as a person. Thus the reason you can never fully imitate the power of another ability. "You can only ever be yourself." is the theme for Sun Shao. Shunpo and other non-aggressive techniques can be copied as they aren't in opposition to his personality. Anything excessively violent, can't really be used effectively. Illusionary abilities are super effective against Sun Shao. Kyouka Suigetsu would be his worst enemy. Stat buffs to the enemy can't be negated either, as the energy is still internalized. Therefore, Shunpo can't be negated either. Shao can only negate external energy. Zanpakuto abilities can be negated to an extent, but never copied. Kido can be negated and copied, but Shinigami arts such as hakudo are too strenuous for Shao to use. His physical condition will sorely limit his options as far as skill imitation goes. I really do hope I answered your question adequately and I appreciate you taking the time to help me flesh out his character a bit better.

Not a problem. I just wanted to iron things out since the Bleachverse is pretty varied which makes it impossible to do both on a complete scale. I had a pretty good idea but its good to get in writing rather than let us debate when you're put on the spot. That's awkward. I imagine that the negation also only works within a certain proximity of his body or within a proximity of hands and possibly feet. You might want to detail a bit on representing a person on a quintessential level, though, because an argument could be made that a zanpakuto's abilities by nature represent the respective shinigami in that way which conflicts with a later statement of yours.

Well put. I'd much rather calmly discuss these kinda things and get everyone's approval, than make a huge fuss. To be more specific about Zanpakuto negation, it's really only minor abilities that are created during Shikai phase. Like you aptly pointed out, Zanpakuto are a reflection of the soul. From Shao's character perspective, all powers are derived from individuality and the subconscious. I'd say it's sort of like how you can deny a person's flaws to some extent, but you can't deny the truth of their existence. So if a person was fighting with serious intent, putting every ounce of their souls into each attack, then Shao would be unable to negate or imitate any of their attacks. I suppose I should write that out clearly. And yes, you are correct, Shao can only neutralize abilities within his personal space. Large scale abilities are unaffected by his negation. Such as the artificial Karakura Town. He could never negate something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate it when I think of things after the fact as I prefer to do things all at once but I did so I hope you'll put up with it.

What about an equipment ability? Quincy arrows are technically derived as an ability but that can also be traced back to an origin object. My personal theory is that a quincy bow is a human's (ignoring neoquincys that make no sense) dormant zanpakuto given form through a medium (the quincy cross). That's why they have names after a certain point, are unique, and change form. Then there's the Seele Schneider which is very much a piece of equipment which is not part of the bow but could just as well be considered a piece of tech. The tricky part is that a Seele Schneider is something that works on the basis of an ability but is in nature a reishi chainsaw originating from a piece of tech. It is an ability but if it could be negated, it would give a technical argument for being able to negate other things that are composed of reishi... like shinigami and any corporeal thing in SS.

NP, this is actually really helpful in allowing me to detail Shao's abilities. Better to get this out of the way now rather than later anyways.

As for quincy abilities, I'm going to say that he can't copy them. Considering Quincy have the special ability to absorb spirit particles and forge them into items, Shao would be unable to produce a "resonant energy" that will nullify the skill. Especially so in the case of Seele Schneiders and Sprenger. Not only are they equipment based skills, but because they are composed of reishi rather than reiryoku, Sun Shao would be unable to affect it. I'll call it a rule of thumb, that Shao will be unable to manipulate reishi. I'd rather not get into the whole conundrum of Shao negating the existence of the spirit world or something like that. I'll add it to his profile and then the specifics of his abilities should be clearer. Was there anything else you wanted to ask? I don't want to post until I've ratified the areas you feel unclear about.

Oh, I'm just coming up with things coincidentally as I go. Don't hold back on posting upon my account. These are just small nitpicks, not vital to the character.

Ah okay. Well please let me know if you think of anything else. This was actually kinda fun xD

Anyway, I edited his profile a bit. I tried to give more of a concrete reason as to why he can imitate and negate certain abilities and whatnot. I hope that it fits a bit more and gives you a better idea of his skills and limitations. I'm probably going to do a once over on the posts so far and try to see where I can wiggle in.

Well, he seems very "useful" and Wang likes useful. So if you're having trouble, I can make him fit in easily.

Yeah I'm having a bit of trouble deciding where to jump in. Mind if I make up some excuse to wander to the sotaicho?

Sure. Go right on ahead. Anyone who Wang opted to "save" is probably someone whom he would treat like a right hand in the new SS most likely meaning that he may have any number of not so strenuous tasks for Shao to do at any given time. If it makes you feel more comfortable and you have an idea of what you'd like to do, I can just slip an edit into my last post mentioning whatever it is.

Sure. Go right on ahead. Anyone who Wang opted to "save" is probably someone whom he would treat like a right hand in the new SS most likely meaning that he may have any number of not so strenuous tasks for Shao to do at any given time. If it makes you feel more comfortable and you have an idea of what you'd like to do, I can just slip an edit into my last post mentioning whatever it is.

Awesome, thanks. I just got my post up. I didn't want to assume too much, so I tried to be vague. Lemme know if it needs to be edited!

Nah. It'll be fine. I'm not about to nitpick unless its something important.

Its a small matter and it won't really change how I respond but you should probably know that Wang is off roaming Soul Society, having some hell butterflies chase down Captain Truancy as he attempts to evade work. So he's not at his office at the moment.

shit. the last post i read wasn't your last post then. xD

So should I just edit and say I ran into you along the way?

I think Wang left the first division in the first post involving him. Lol. Whichever you prefer. He's en route and doing some precautionary preparations. I'll just keep typing up my response in the meantime.

lol, my skimming skills fail. I edited my post. Hope it fits better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.