Beyond Third Rock

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wyatt nodded and laced fingers with hers. He led her out into the cave once more. He met Ruth's angry glare with a confused one.

"We miss something?" he asked Tom as Ruth stomped off to shower.

"Oh you know women and their hormones all in a tizzy." he answered as he finished his plate. "Welcome back to the land of the living you two. Food's getting cold. I must say, if that was a quickie hot damn, ya'll must lead an exciting love life."

Wyatt turned to Tom in disbelief and let out a roar of laughter Tom joined in on. He grabbed his plate and moved to sit beside Tom.

"She leaves my side, she's as good as dead. Please tell me there's another way."

"You thinking mutiny soldier?" Tom whispered. "Look there's a clause active soldiers can use to protect their pairs. You're gonna have to get hitched though. Then she'll stay landside with you."

"How in the hell am I gonna pull that off? No priest not to mention I'm not sure she'd take a fancy to the word wife just yet. I mean I don't want to pressure her into marrying me."

"The laws of this planetary conquest shit are made to keep pairs together. Skylink marriages happen all the time. You could claim possible child, unless you've always used protection."

Wyatt blushed at his comment and Tom shook his head. "Attaboy." he joked.

Jane grabbed a plate of food, moving to stand apart from Tom and Wyatt. Her eyes were narrowed. Ruth's reaction had given her pause. There was no doubt that given the chance, the other woman would finish her. She picked at her food, sighing. There was no escape, was there?

She finished her food, moving to sit near the boys. "So, we ship out in the morning?" She tried not to sound too displeased. It was her duty to follow orders. She looked down at the wrist unit, glaring at it fiercely.

Tom rose a brow. "Eh I'll let you two talk." he said grabbing a towel, tossing it over his shoulder and heading into the craft. Wyatt finished his plate of food and looked at her.

"There's a way to keep you with me." He said his eyes glued to his plate. "It involves using a clause, but it involves you answering one question first." His dark eyes finally met hers.

Jane looked at Tom in confusion. Her eyes found Wyatt and her brow furrowed in concern. "A clause? I haven't heard of a clause..." She moved to bring up the rules on her wrist unit before Wyatt's statement caught her attention. She turned to face him, moving to grab his hand in concern. "Are you okay? You don't look happy about this option...is it the bringing to death and back to life thing because..." She stopped her frantic ramblings, taking a deep breath. "I'm listening."

"What are you doing for the rest of your life?" Wyatt asked. "I know, this clause is keeping them from taking you from me, it's me being selfish, and forward. But if you meant the words you said to me, and you see in my eyes that I want a future with you, one that lasts way beyond this mission, then you'll say yes now, and let me prove to you daily that I want you with me forever."

Jane inhaled sharply, growing lightheaded. "Are you...are you proposing?" Her hand clutched his tightly and she realized she had held her breath far too long. She exhaled, spots dancing before her eyes.

Was he truly proposing? If so, what would she say?

She did want him, for the rest of her life. She didn't want to be parted from him. But, she also relished her own freedom. After years locked away under her father's thumb, the last thing she wanted was her freedom taken.

Looking at Wyatt, she knew that wouldn't be the case with him. "If you're asking...I'd have to say yes." She smiled at him, eyes worried. "But, how exactly is that going to keep me from getting shanked up on the ship?"

"Beacause miss Cabot soon to be Mrs. Cole, with active soldiers and their pairings, which would be you, repopulation takes precedence to mass extermination. You guys being married they will not seperate you, and well if they try to you could always remind them that you've done the dirty with no protection in which case they really won't try to separate you." Tom said finishing off an orange. He had showered and was shirtless.

Ruth stood fuming at the cave opening. "Are you kidding me? You've actually been so careless as to breed with her?" She spat. Wyatt looked up from Jane and blinked his eyes, he had apparently missed the whole part where she was infatuated with him.

"Um, it wasn't carelessness. It was a lot more emotional and spiritual than that, but if you want to make it pretty shallow it's the fact that she's hot as hell and I wanted to mark what is mine." He eyed her annoyed.

"Out of all la Vedette Navire you could have, you chose a Cabot." she snarled.

"I chose my soon to be wife. Are we done here?" Wyatt asked standing between Ruth and Jane. Tom laughed.

"I'll get the skylink to get us a priest so we can hitch ya'll."

"Tom!" Ruth shouted baffled.

"Ruth, let it go. This was going to happen regardless of me telling him or not. I'd rather not go out on a mission without his skill. This way they don't take off and I have to be the one to hunt them down. Shut up already. You're more than welcome to head back to mothership early if you're gonna be bellyaching up this cave." He said sauntering off to the craft. Ruth glared at the two.

"She's not worth procreating with. I hope you can't even have babies."

Jane looked up at Tom, blushing before she glared at Wyatt. She leaned in, fuming. "You told him about us doing it? Unprotected doing it?" She gave him a glare that told him he would pay for it later.

Ruth's words pulled her attention up and she bristled. Even after Wyatt had proposed, this woman was causing problems. Only Wyatt's words about choosing her caused her to soften. She brought his hand up, kissing it lovingly. He stood, defending her and she shot a smirk at Ruth. She nodded at Tom, happy that this would spare them the pain of separation.

The words from Ruth's mouth about not being able to have children had Jane cringing. Her shoulders fell, concern about that flooding her. Her hand reached out, grabbing Wyatt's.

Wyatt blushed crimson at his bride to be's anger. Technically he hadn't told him anything, he had simply blushed and Tom put two and two together. When he saw the effect that Ruth had on Jane it made him want to hit a woman, something he would never do.

"You're a sad little lady if you think you're worth procreating with more than others. You aren't even pretty on the outside and you're rotten as a hog's ass inside. There's nothing worth tappin' about you. I suggest you go change that before you're the only one left on Globus not making babies."

Ruth's jaw dropped and she stomped off. Shouting at Tom about taking the escape pod from the craft and heading back up to La Vedette Navire. Tom had to use his key for it and he wouldn't until the other two were wed.

Wyatt turned towards Jane. He pressed her fingers to his lips. "Don't let what that woman says bother you none. We'll make babies, hell I'll make damn sure of it. And if we can't make babies, we'll have fun trying. Right now worrying about procreating isn't what we should be focusing on. We'll focus on that later okay?" He kissed her forehead. He knew there wasn't much he had but he got to work almost immediately. He rummaged through crates and making exclamations grabbed things and shoved them into his pocket. He grabbed something he had in his pack and went to work at the fire. He used all he could to fashion Jane a ring. He used the metal scraps to form the band and using a chisel and hammer he broke off a piece of quartz he had packed up from the wall of their very cave to create a stone. Once it was set and smelted into place he got to work using the laser function of the new weapons to cut off the top of the stone enough to sand down so that it wouldn't cut her or anyone else. Tom stood at the entrance of the craft watching him.

"Well you can tell he gives a shit. Bear Gryllis wannabe" he joked.

Jane smiled at Wyatt, standing and stretching. "I guess I better figure out a dress situation?" She moved towards the tent they had shared the previous night. She knew very little about what would happen but she guessed that as long as they were allowed to stay together...

She pulled the sheet from the bed, gazing at the white material. She sat on the bed, tears rolling down her face.

She wanted to be with Wyatt more than anything. The thing she didn't want was to be tied down and forced to do what the colony wanted. All she wanted was to survive. Jane wiped her tears, crouching on the floor. She took a small strip of the sheet and tied back her fiery curls with it. Jane then stripped, tying the sheet around her in a toga style gown. She left her feet bare, standing in the tent with apprehension. She didn't have anyone to walk her down the aisle and this was far from what she wanted.

No bouquet, no maid of honor, and no father to walk her down the aisle. When she considered it, she didn't even have a ring to present to Wyatt.

"Trouble in paradise?" Tom whispered to Wyatt. The ring was finished, he was sanding down the edges when he looked up to see her, in the tent with the biggest look of apprehension he had seen yet. He frowned, stuffing the ring in his pocket. He knew that things weren't the way he had wanted them. Yes she had told him she loved him, yes things had gone beyond fast, he had barely known the woman, under a week even. He knew that he had feelings for her he wanted to spend the rest of his life growing. Marrying her the right way. He frowned tipping his head and shook it.

"We're not doing this. This is wrong. We all go back."

"What?" Tom asked blinking his eyes in surprise.

"We all go back. We're a unit, she is my partner. We go as a unit of one. All four of us, unless we can swap out Ruth, which in that case even better."

Tom nodded his head. "Okay.. let's go."

Wyatt turned to look at Jane once more. He reached for his pack, throwing it onto his back. He left her ring on top of her pack and head for the craft. Even though he knew things were better this way, he couldn't help but feel hurt. Locking into his seat beside Tom's he was glad the cockpit separated them from the other two seats behind them.

Jane sat on the bed, her face falling into her hands. She didn't even have the courage to look behind her towards the men. If only she knew she could be what Wyatt needed. She looked down at the sheet wrapped around herself. "No, I want this...I do..." She took a deep breath, squaring her shoulders in determination. This would keep them together. It would keep them from being separated.

She stood, readjusting her makeshift dress. When she turned around, she saw that no one was there and waiting for her. Her heart fell, tears pooling in her eyes. Wyatt had changed his mind. She stepped back, hands moving to her mother's necklace around her neck. She felt as if her heart had been torn in two. She knew then that she truly wanted to wed Wyatt no matter what the ceremony looked like.

Wyatt didn't move from his seat. He was glad it faced away from the opening of the cave. He didn't want to see her there, crying more. Whether it be because he called it off or because she didn't truly want to be tied down to him especially now. Tom waited as long as he could patinetly before he moved to hurry Jane to join them. He searched the cave for anything else that they didn't want to leave behind, made sure again that the fire was put out before he closed the door to the craft, everyone in their seats.

He sat at the helm of the ship and held onto his dog tags, his copy and his moms tightly in his hand as the ship head out towards la vedette navire.

Jane only moved when Tom entered the cave. She wiped her eyes, dressing in her old clothes and angrily tossing the sheet away. She moved towards her bag, tears springing to her eyes once again when she found the ring. She slipped it on, admiring the way it glittered. She then threw her pack on, moving into the ship. She sat down, buckling in and keeping her face angled away from Wyatt.

The last thing she had wanted was a fight with Wyatt before she died.

Closing her eyes, she sighed. Without any protection, she would die. There were places only married pairs could go together and she knew the first opportunity she would be slaughtered like cattle. She could almost feel the blows now.

No, she grit her teeth. She would never go down without a fight. If Wyatt's feelings had changed, then that was it.

They reached La Vedette Navire, just under two hours later. Wyatt unbuckled first and reached for the door. It was the first glimpse he caught of Jane and there was anger, so much anger in her eyes. He was taken aback by it. He wanted to do right by her, she's the one that had not wanted to be tied down so soon, that way and yet now she was angry. It made him bristle with frustration.

"Welcome back Unit zero, unit one. Where would you like your debriefing gentlemen?" An attendant asked, another asking the females.

"The god damn shooting range" Wyatt growled. They were taken to the range and Wyatt and Tom squared up.

"You gonna use ear protection?" the attendant asked. Tom laughed.

"We just came from killing a shit ton of beasts with no ear muffs. Just light 'em up." the buzzer sounded and clip after clip the boys emptied bullets galore into the targets.

Jane stood to her feet. An attendant approached her, handing her a message. She opened it, reading the words as the boys moved away. A deep sadness filled her eyes until the threatened to overflow. She shook her head, opening her wrist unit. She spent a moment writing a brief message to Wyatt.

My love, I am sorry for causing you to doubt yourself. My father has summoned me to a meeting, although I suspect not for anything good. I love you and hope to see you again.

She knew in her heart that the meeting would be death. It was her father's handwriting, but he would never send her a letter. Instead, he would just show up unannounced.

Jane moved to follow the attendant, refusing to allow her fear to show.

Wyatt was in the middle of his debriefing when the message beeped through. Just as he had read the last words his wristband beeped and the message was deleted from view. Wyatt growled standing up.

"Wyatt, we aren't done here." Officer Rollins spoke up.

"I don't care. I don't care. Where's Jane."

"Cabot?" Rollins asked. "Being debriefed.

"No." Wyatt pulled up his wrist band and showed the little red dot. "Where is she heading?" he asked again forcefully.

"To her father's office." Tom said.

"No, they're not going to kill her. We're engaged!" Wyatt said at once.

"What?" Officer Rollins typed into his wristband. "Is this true?" he asked Tom who immediately nodded.

"Yes they were wanting to do it in person here, in the chapel, with correct attire."

Officer Rollins eyed the two and continued typing onto his holographic screen. Wyatt bolted out the doors.

"God damnit someone stop him!" Rollins ordered. Wyatt was at a disadvantage not knowing the ship but he followed the little red dot until he was right outside the door. He was tazed, and although it had him crying out in pain, he pushe past the door.

"Jane!" he cried out as the electricity was shocked through him again and again.

In the command room Commander Jones glowered at the screen.

"Commander, he can only withstand another 200 volts before death madame." an attendant called.

Jane had entered her father's chamber. Just as suspected, her father was no where in sight. Instead, the doors closed behind her. She lowered her head, tears of anger falling from her eyes. "The power has shifted." The voice spoke from the shadows and she looked up. Standing there was a high ranking official. In his hand was a dagger, a smirk on his face. "I am sad to say that your journey ends here."

"Answer me this first..." Jane tilted her chin up, fingers searching for the dagger she had hidden at her waist. "Where is my father?"

"Your father is in a meeting. He didn't even know you were coming up for debriefing." The soldier moved towards her, twirling dagger in his hands. "Thought we would send him a message with your body."

He dashed towards her and Jane whipped her dagger out from the strap at her waist. She parried the blow, surprising the man with a trip. He fell facefirst before a volt of electricity shot through her wristband and made her scream. She stood to her feet, facing the man angrily. "At least he will be proud if I go out fighting. I'm not the precious daughter you seem to think I am!"

Wyatt made it into the office. He grabbed his gun and with perfect aim held it parallel to his forearm, the barrel against the wristband. Twisting his wrist backwards, hoping the bullet missed his palm he shot. At once the damn wristband flew off. Parts of metal imbedding into his flesh he didn't care. He aimed the gun at the man wielding the dagger.

"Drop it. Now!" he shouted as he stepped between the two. He shook his head this was something out of a knights of the round table movie. Fighting with swords and daggers with the kind of high tech weaponry aorund now.

"Call your dad. Now." he spoke not leaving any room for discussion.

Jane moved to call her father, crying out as the band shocked her. "I can't!" She fell to her knees, wiping blood from her nose. She stood to her feet, standing behind Wyatt. "Your band!" She reached forward, caressing his wrist where the band had been. Her wrist unit beeped erratically and she hastily answered it.

"Jane!" Her father's face was on the viewscreen. Anger on his features. "I stopped the use of disciplinary action on your band...are you alright, you're bleeding!"

Jane frowned at her father, shaking her head. "No. And I'm tired of being part of your fuckin' space games!" Shock crossed her features, something passing through the holograph screen towards her. She jerked to the side to avoid being impaled by the dagger that had been thrown in her direction. Instead of hitting her heart, it lodged in her shoulder. She cried out bumping into Wyatt as she staggered aside. "I'm done with this! I want to go planet side NOW!" She pulled the dagger from her shoulder, slamming it under the wrist unit where it met her skin. She screamed as she angled it, trying to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.