Azimuth Reborn

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Lorelle grinned at Talion as he revealed his face and hair. "I could almost claim you as a brother," she grinned pointing to her hair. "Well met fellow traveler." Her green eyes sparkled as she moved ahead and took her place in the line.

She was not as uncaring of who the sword had chosen as it may appear to Talion. She was at first very concerned about their being able to trust him, since he would be considered one of the Seven now, a group of men whose reputation and exploits were very well known in the kingdom not to mention were irrevocably connected to the legacy of her father. As the eldest daughter she had been groomed in all things pertaining to ruling the kingdom, from the least to the greatest and her father had been very clear about the importance of a name free of scandal and deceit. She was more than grateful for the good name that had been passed down to her, and she was trying to re-establish it now in the wake of Nikolais's treachery and cruelty. Still Talion had proven himself to be an able fighter and a selfless one, so her fears were slowly being assuaged, and with them would come that trust and sharing he might or might not be looking for from her at least.

Jarek was indeed feeling the loss of his best friend, especially at times like these, when they stopped to eat. It was at these times that they would pick at one another good naturedly to pass the time and relieve stress. Their rivalry had begun almost from the moment they'd met, but there seemed to now be a huge gaping hole in him at the loss of his dear friend.

Reiken hadn't expected to miss their banter as it had more often than not annoyed him to distraction, but seeing Jarek so sullen and the almost deafening quiet as they ate seemed to be nearly unbearable. "I quite agree Talion," he said to slice into that silence, "And I have come to trust Lorelle's visions as well. It is the logical place for them to hide, since the forest grows denser as we travel south as well. They should not be far now.."

Lorelle nodded, "Agreed. Let us hope that we find them before darkness falls."

They gathered up their things and were back atop their mounts and following along the stream for the next hour. Suddenly they were surrounded by men hanging from the trees with many arrows aimed at them. Lorelle's cloak was up over her hair as the chill had taken her, so luckily they could not see her. A large burly man dropped in front of Reiken and gave him a rough look, "State yer name and business in the south forest."

Reiken dipped his head diplomatically, "I am Reiken of Lingerloft and I seek Theron, leader of the Rebel army."

"Is that so? Mebbe ye've found 'im."

"I think not. I know somewhat of his look. He is a bit taller and fairer of hair. But nice try." Reiken curled the edge of his lips, "And I believe he would recognize my name as well."

"Pft." A second man dropped down and whispered into the first man's ear. The shock on the man's face was evident but only for a moment. "Follow us."

They traveled with the group being watched closely and always surrounded. Lorelle had to admire their organization and tactics. Her confidence in the Rebel leader rose a bit with each passing moment. these people were loyal and dedicated. Such things did not happen by accident, but were earned.

The sky started to darken as they traveled, signalling a coming storm, but they kept moving. They approached a large encampment, full of men, women and even children. These were her people and they were forced from their homes and into hiding. Her heart broke seeing them. Among them in the center of the group stood a tall man, not as tall as Jarek but taller than most. His honey gold hair hung down to his shoulders and he was graced with chiseled features and honed strong muscles. Seeing his men return with strangers on horseback he frowned and made his way toward them. The second man ran up to him and spoke softly and then retreated.

Theron looked up at the group, "Reiken of Lingerloft. Knight of the Seven. We had thought the Seven and the Queen had left us to fend for ourselves. We have done just fine without your help, and we are in no need of it now."

"We had much work to do, keeping the Queen and the princesses safe, and to retake Bracken into the hands of the rightful king. It was not our intention to leave you without hope or protection."

"And yes as your own words convey, we were not as important as Bracken, and the Queen, if she lives, has no care for her people nor the good name of her father."

Jarek was off his steed and about to thump the man when Lorelle's hand shot out. "No, let him speak."

Theron's eyes were immediately fixed on the second rider.

Lorelle gracefully alit off the horse and approached the man who spoke with such vehemence against her. She had expected as much, but hearing it stabbed at her in a way she had not been prepared for at all. There was no mistaking her regal bearing or gait, and when she pushed back the hood of her cloak a gasp spread through the crowd and people began to fall to their knees. She looked around at the people and spoke in a clear and commanding voice, "Please..please rise. I should be bowing to all of you. You have my thanks, gratitude and humble servanthood for the loyalty you have all shown to my father and this kingdom. I do not deserve your fealty, but I am hopeful that i can earn it back on my own right."

Reiken stood next to her, "I assume you recognize Lorelle of Azimuth, rightful Queen and heir to the throne."

Theron nodded, "I do indeed. I admit I did not believe you survived, in fact I had hoped that was the reason you had not returned. But now I am forced to believe you simply did not care for your people enough to come back and fight for us." There was venom in every word and a hard steel in his blue eyes that clearly conveyed his thoughts about the young Queen that stood before him.

Again Jarek stepped forward but Lorelle stopped him, "No, he has a right to speak his mind. He has earned it as he has the loyalty and dedication of these people." She forced herself to look up at him and face the fear she had been fighting this entire journey, "I have come to ask for your help in defeating Nikolai. The Seven are scattered and the task cannot be accomplished with four people. If you cannot do so for my sake, then I will beg you to do so for the sake of my father who served this land with honor and dignity and for the sake of my mother who's blood must be required at the hands of her murderer." She stood silent then and waited.

Theron watched her and he could see the pride, the hurt, the passion and the humility such a request required. His own feelings of betrayal and distrust were cast aside as he turned to the people, "I will defer to you. What say you?"

There was murmuring among the crowd, some shouting, some arguing and even a few fistfights, but eventually that second man stepped forward. "I have hoped for this day," he said standing before Lorelle, "You were always kind and fair much like your father. You are our only hope of being free from this tyrant. We will fight for you."

Lorelle reached out and took his hands in both of hers, "My thanks Benjamin Vicker." She said and then looked at everyone else, "I will prove worthy of this trust. Thank you all."

Theron furrowed his brow when she addressed Ben by name. Did she know them all? Did she remember him?

Talion would have warned the group they were wandering right into an ambush, but he had a suspicion that being aware of such a trap would only make them look even more suspicious to the group of rebels. Best to 'blunder' right in, he supposed. For now, no attention had been paid to the thief, which was perfectly well for the moment. He let Reiken talk for the time being, leading them forward into the rebel camp. Cormoranth remained as calm as he was, which he appreciated; Bartlett really had trained the stallion well, well enough not to be spooked by even the most sudden changes. He was appreciative both of his steed and of its handler.

Talion watched quietly as they entered the rebel camp. He recognized a few souls here and there as they rode in, people he may have stolen from in the past. Luckily for him, his face was an unknown to all he had 'done business' with, so he highly doubted he would receive any words to that effect unless he brought it up. Though he wondered just how long his disguise of hiding in the open would hold. As Theron, the leader of the rebels, Reiken, and Lorelle spoke, he began to become aware of a painful truth: To the people of the rebel camp, at the very least, he was most definitely not one of the Seven.

That would inevitably lead to questions. Most notably, where was the dwarf who wielded Zephyr before him? What would he tell them? A lie? That would be incredibly unbecoming of one of the Seven Knights, and worse, would cast doubt on Lorelle. She needed to maintain her appearance as one good and noble, with the help of those also good and noble. It was a Catch-22. Were he to reveal himself, he would prove there was a thief in the queen's employ. Were he to remain silent, doubts would begin to swirl about him.

Luckily, for the time being, Lorelle had managed to win the hearts of those in charge. That at the very least was a relief, and one that would grant him at least a little time. The defining characteristics of the Jade Shadow....were the piercing green eyes, the mask, and his voice. He had done away with one of them for now. One he could do nothing about. The third...he wondered just how long he could remain silent. Best to try and prolong the moment as long as possible. As things seemed to be settled, Talion decided to reduce his exposure.

Taking Cormoranth over to the nearby makeshift stable, he allowed the horse to enter, giving him a gentle pat on the nose to let him know all was well. With a quick hug, he left the horse to his own devices for the moment before walking out, doing his best to blend in with the crowd, all the while keeping an eye on Lorelle like he was employed. He had mastered the art of disguise and escape before, but never had he attempted to blend in for a reason other than escape. He wondered just how long it might work. All the while, he watched his charge with an eagle eye, making sure nothing would happen to her. She was in the safety of an ally camp, but one could never be certain of what might happen in the woods. He was living proof of that.

Last edited:
Reiken watched Talion slip away from the group and thought perhaps for the moment that was the wisest course of action. Things were going smoother than he personally expected but the actual leader was not on their side yet. He could see the man was bristling having Lorelle stand so near. He could not remember the man, but he was very sure Lorelle would. She had her father's ability to remember people, and he knew Lorelle truly did love her people. He'd seen her tears, and heard her anguish at having to delay returning as she'd read through her father's directives upon reaching Evergreen. Had returning been solely up to Lorelle, her mother would have had swift vengeance.

Jarek wasn't sure what Talion was up to but he watched him from above the crowd. One benefit to being bigger than everyone else was it was difficult to for anyone to see what you were looking at, if they could even see your eyes. He was the easiest of the Seven to recognize, and Reiken's white hair and golden skin were a noticeable marks as well. Luckily Lorelle had mentioned the the Seven were scattered to hopefully no one would question why there was someone traveling with them who was not a member of the Seven, even though technically he now was. That still bothered him a bit, but he'd learned not to question things that happened as a result of Queen Antoinelle's magic. He'd seen too many times how it had proven to be for the best to doubt it. But, even that knowledge could not come to terms with Bowen's death at this man's hands. He pushed the thoughts aside and focused his attention on the leader of the rebels. That one did not like Lorelle, and it cast aspersion on the man himself in Jarek's eyes. Anyone who did not support Lorelle was immediately suspect to him, and the glare her fixed on the man was ample proof of that thought.

Theron watched the people rally around her, like some goddess sent down from heaven to make everything instantly better, with apprehension and doubt. She had abandoned them without a word, how did they know she would not do so again when things became difficult? He held up his hand and the whole camp went quiet. "It would seem you have agreed to fight for Queen Lorelle. You all know my feelings in this, but I will stand with you all and fight."

Benjamin Vickers stepped up to him, "I know your feelings. But even you must see this is the only way to depose the Usurper."

Theron looked at his friend and let out a slow breath, "I had not believed it would be an option. But since it is, I will be with you all."

Lorelle listened in silence clearly seeing the anger and hatred in Theron's eyes. She took a step forward and looked up at him, "Theron of Vargas," she began and then paused as she formed her words. She was not a glib of tongue person, and she weighed words with care and deliberation, so at times she seemed indecisive and even shy. Neither were the case, but she was well aware of the power of words and she chose to use them to her advantage whenever possible. "I would like to request a bit of your time if I may. I can clearly see that you despise me, but if you could endure it, I would be honored."

Theron lifted a single brow but only slightly. He bowed a bit and motioned his hand toward a large tent, "I have endured worse." He said and then led the way holding the flap to the tent as she entered. This was where they planned raids and kept the armaments. It was quite large and open and had a long table int he middle of it with a map of the entire area drawn in fine detail upon it. He moved to the table and stood on the other side of it from her, having a physical barrier added to the others he'd already erected.

Lorelle followed and stayed both Jarek and Reiken having lost track of Talion completely. She stepped into the tent and over to the table. Her eyes swept over the map and her finger traced over the sketch of the castle before she looked up at him. "Your hatred is almost a physical presence, Theron of Vargas. The man I remember was not so full of anger as this. What do you require of me? Would you be easier if you knew the trials of the years I have been forced to be away?"

"Forced?" He spat as his hand moved over the map before him. "If you can be forced to abandon your responsibilities, then what good are you to the people of Azimuth?"

Lorelle felt those words like a stab to her heart, but she could not deny their truth. "When I was taken from Azimuth I was near death, Nikolai's sword had not only killed my mother, but nearly killed me as well. The Seven were given instruction to take the three of us away to a place he and my mother had prepared. We eventually arrived, but not without much loss and pain. Once there my father had a strict timeline that i was to follow. I have obeyed his every edict to the letter, and now I am finally free to do as I would have done as soon as I was physically able. You can ask Reiken if you require word beyond my own. Though, I had believed us to be friends and I am pained to see your contempt."

Reiken made his way discretely to the stable with both his and Lorelle's mounts. He fed them both a bit of straw and then returned to the crowd that was still gathered, likely awaiting the outcome of the audience between Lorelle and Theron. He came up beside Talion and spoke quietly, "This is going better than I had hoped. We will more than likely begin to make our way to the castle now, though Lorelle has not disclosed the methods or way of he return to me. It is good you are being careful, and watchful. This Theron does not seem to approve of the people's decision. We shall have to keep a watch over him."

Talion was a bit surprised to hear Reiken's voice as he approached the thief, though his presence was not unwelcome. So many unfamiliar faces, any one of which having the possibility of being one whom he had wronged before. There was little assurance that he would be well-received were his identity to be revealed. At the very least, Reiken's presence would likely hold off any such thoughts, as he would likely be paid more attention than the lowly human beside him of no name or stature. Regardless. It was also comforting to have a familiar face nearby, one who was not at risk of punching his lights out should he become ornery. He had no doubt Jarek had wanted to do that a few times.

"A leader is a servant of his people, just as a mercenary is a servant of his employer. Should things go south, don't think for a moment that I will not correct the situation. And don't think we won't have countless allies in such a pursuit." He briefly gestured to those around them; whether it be an entire kingdom or a group of rebels, should the leader enact an action that went against the wishes of his people, resentment would soon brew. Too much, and rebellion would rise. These people knew that better than anyone he could name, and undoubtedly Lorelle knew this as well. If these folk wished to ally in their cause for usurping, then the leader would likely be powerless to stop them. Talion was banking on that.

And yet, Lorelle left herself in a vulnerable position. Of all three Knights keeping an eye on her, Reiken was likely in the best position to act were Theron to take matters into his own hands. Talion was good with a bow, but he was no marksman expert. Nor did he think he could match Theron's strength, though Rusky probably still outclassed him. Regardless, he would do what he could if he believed the queen in danger. For the moment, things seemed clear. They had disappeared into an important-looking tent, but for now there were no cries, no sounds of conflict. He continued to keep his senses on the situation. "Once this is over, I'm cooking us a meal. Tensions are still too high amongst us, and I need to at least try to clear the air with your large friend. If I am to succeed in my job to the best of my abilities, we need to be able to see eye to eye. Teamwork is key." That, and he didn't want his skull caved in by a giant who might one night decide to crush him in his sleep for the death of his friend.

Rieken nodded, "I very much agree. It would have been unwise for Theron to go against the people's decision verbally. Especially when having Lorelle's physical presence among them was no doubt the first real ray of hope they have experienced. Still, he does not seem happy about it. Lorelle is a wise woman though, and she understands the importance of communication." He had no idea what they might be speaking of in that tent, but he hoped Theron was willing to at least hear what she said with an honest heart and open mind. He grinned, "A hearty meal would be most welcome and is the best way to befriend Jarek. You are right about the four of us needing to be able to work closely together. Generally things get a bit strange when Lorelle's visions are involved. So, expect as much."

Theron frowned. She had been injured and near death? This was news to him. No one had spoken of how the young Princesses had disappeared that fateful night when the queen was proclaimed dead and Nikolai of Bracken claimed the throne. "I had always wondered why the Seven were formed, and now I see. They were banded to protect you and your sisters, but not Azimuth."

Lorelle stood straight and regal before him as he railed his accusations. "I cannot fault that logic, not that conclusion. It was their sworn duty and the reason my father found them. He had seen visions of the murder of us all at the hands of a friend, but never identifying the friend. He begged for another vision and eventually was given the vision of the seven. In every vision however, my mother perished, and he knew she could not be saved. He make decisions that he felt were the best he had to make, given that he would be dead before they occurred. You may not agree with how he went about protecting us, and thus the future of Azimuth, but I am asking if you can ever support me. When I am restored to the throne, will you be able to have joy in that? Will you be again a loyal friend to the crown as you once were to a young girl?"

Theron watched her speak, and confirm what he had said all along. He had heard stories about the King. That he was possessed of a devil of some sort that allowed him to see things that were not. He never believed them, but she was openly telling him that her father saw visions of the future. And not only that he saw them, but that they came about as he'd seen them. Such a thing was unheard of just as the queens magic had been. However Queen Antoinelle never used her magic for anything but good, and he had come to admire and respect her greatly. Now, their daughter stood before him and asked for his support. He did remember that young girl. The one who was so somber and restrained, and who never seemed to be able to be a child. Now a grown and beautiful woman, and the future queen of the land and yet humbly asking if he can believe in her. Could he? He drew in a breath, "You are the rightful heir to the throne. I will do what I can to see you are established upon it and that Nikolai pays for his treacheries. Beyond that, I cannot attest. The young girl I knew would never have left Azimuth in the hands of this ... villain for so long, father's orders or no."

Lorelle lowered her head and turned to leave. She stopped at the flap that lead outside and turned back to him, "Thank you for listening. I can ask no more of anyone." She left the tent and felt like there was a stone in her heart. She glanced around looking for the others and made her way to Reiken and Talion. "He has pledged to help us."

Reiken saw the look of disappointment and defeat in her eyes that she was trying to hide. "He said as much before you entered the tent. Something troubles you though."

Lorelle shook her head, "I am content with his pledge. He listened. What more can I ask?"

Reiken didn't press her further but he could feel and see that something wasn't quite right. "Talion has just promised to make us all a hearty dinner." He said clasping a hand to his shoulder, "I think it sounds like a good plan. Food, rest and a new day will make all things look better."

Talion could tell from Lorelle's face as she approached that something was wrong. Of course, just listening in to the conversation before the two had disappeared was proof enough to him that relations were not perfectly smooth. He could see that much. Reiken tried to make her feel better, but he doubted it would be enough. Talion decided to give it his best shot instead. "If he doubts your leadership, there's really only one thing you can do. That thing is simple...prove it. I could understand his reaction-imagine if my father magically appeared from the ether and tried to accept me back into the family. I would wonder where he had been all these years and why I had been left alone, especially since I was missing all the details. I would ask him to prove that I could have a family again. He is merely asking you the same with his doubts."

Successful or not, he was very quickly reminded of the promise he had made Reiken just a moment ago. "Well, I'm no master chef, but when you live on your own as long as I have you definitely pick up a thing or two about roasting a pig." Talion glanced about the tents, picking out an open spot in between them with its very own fire pit. Excellent. "Alright. One thieves' banquet, coming up." Much of the ingredients he needed were already in his satchel; he had pilfered a couple items from Bartlett-with his permission, of course. He had the spices and some cheese ready to complement his meat of choice, which just so happened to be some salted pork he had left from his hideout, complemented with a little beef from the Linger Longer. After borrowing a metal stand to place over top the pit, he set it alight, dropping his choice cuts on the makeshift grill.

He glanced over to Reiken and Lorelle. "Just thinking out loud here...I have a serious hunch what I have isn't going to be nearly enough for four of us, let alone Jarek on his own. If you guys could get me a few more things to work with, I can whip them up as quickly as my hands will allow." He looked back to his roast then, sprinkling a few spices on them as they cooked in the heat of the fire. "And of course, if anyone wants something less meaty, I can oblige." Talion dropped a little cheese on top of the beef, letting it melt all over the cut of meat as it began to near its readiness. "My banquets don't take long to cook. You can't spend eight hours in the kitchen when someone might catch you off guard at any time."

Lorelle smiled at his attempt to cheer her up. Oddly enough, it worked to some extent. Talion had less reason to believe in her than Theron did. He didn't know anything of her before a few days ago, and had nothing to judge her by but her word and the word of those who traveled with her. And yet, he seemed to always be ready to defend or cheer. I did not ease the pain that Theron's hardness caused, but it did give her hope.

"Thank you Talion. I intend to prove to everyone that their faith, however small, has not been given in vain. Nikolai will pay for the damage he has done, not only here, but in Bracken as well. At the mention of Bracken, her eyes fell and she turned away from everyone to stare into the trees. She needed to collect herself.

Reiken, being aware of the reasons for that sudden change stepped up to clasp Talion on the shoulder, "I must say...that smells delightful. You have observed rightly the size of our large companion's appetite. There is not ever enough food, he just stops eating when it runs out."

Jarek thunked Reiken's head gently, "I can hear you."

"I am well aware." came the grinning reply along with a rub to his head.

Jarek bent to speak to them, "I will find more food, since it is my appetite causing the problem. What do you need?" He asked as he caught a whiff of what was cooking, "What is that? I will get more...it smells good." He didn't like admitting as much, but he was honest and not one to hold grudges. Bowen seemed to be creating a huge hole in his life, but he had to move forward. He had made a pledge to King Taren, and he intended to see it through to the end.

Lorelle smiled at his attempt to cheer her up. Oddly enough, it worked to some extent. Talion had less reason to believe in her than Theron did. He didn't know anything of her before a few days ago, and had nothing to judge her by but her word and the word of those who traveled with her. And yet, he seemed to always be ready to defend or cheer. I did not ease the pain that Theron's hardness caused, but it did give her hope.

"Thank you Talion. I intend to prove to everyone that their faith, however small, has not been given in vain. Nikolai will pay for the damage he has done, not only here, but in Bracken as well. At the mention of Bracken, her eyes fell and she turned away from everyone to stare into the trees. She needed to collect herself.

Reiken, being aware of the reasons for that sudden change stepped up to clasp Talion on the shoulder, "I must say...that smells delightful. You have observed rightly the size of our large companion's appetite. There is not ever enough food, he just stops eating when it runs out."

Jarek thunked Reiken's head gently, "I can hear you."

"I am well aware." came the grinning reply along with a rub to his head.

Jarek bent to speak to them, "I will find more food, since it is my appetite causing the problem. What do you need?" He asked as he caught a whiff of what was cooking, "What is that? I will get more...it smells good." He didn't like admitting as much, but he was honest and not one to hold grudges. Bowen seemed to be creating a huge hole in his life, but he had to move forward. He had made a pledge to King Taren, and he intended to see it through to the end.

Talion could see the dedication in his employer's eyes. Not that he needed to see it-he could tell she was desperate to free the land just based on the fact that she hired a thief. She seemed to be quite pensive on the conditions of her people, and lost in thought. He was not sure what to say; luckily, Reiken had beaten him to the subject of changing topics. He knew he would be short, and extra food would be much appreciated. He flushed embarrassedly at the compliments towards his cooking.

"Well big guy, if you want me to make you more, find me some cuts of meat, preferably beef or pork, some goat cheese, and a couple spices, paprika and garlic powder. I've got more than enough oregano, so no need to get me any more of that. Beyond that, it's a very simple recipe, really." He let the meat cook with the cheese a little while longer, then carefully scooped the beef cut up with a metal spatula, setting it on one of his plates and handing it to Lorelle.

"Obviously, the queen gets first taste. Don't worry, there will hopefully be more than enough for everyone once Jarek gets back. As long as my hands can move fast enough, that is." The cut of pork was placed on a platter, which he set off to the side. "You're free to take from there, I'll just keep heaping stuff on there as it's ready. I call it a cheese steak. Not very original, I know. But it satisfies the palette, I find."

He hummed as he worked, using up the last of his meat before patiently waiting for Jarek to return with more rations. He allowed Lorelle and Reiken to take as they wished, not claiming any of his cooking for himself. The chef always ate last, after all, and he was nothing if not a gracious host. He flipped the spatula in his hand like a knife, quietly wondering just how late into the night he might have to work to satisfy his giant comrade's palette...

Jarek nodded and left to seek out what was needed. He found most people were willing to feed him in order to have him on their side in a fight. It was both a compliment and a laughable insult. He was an easy target being so large, so he figured people were thinking they'd have a better chance of surviving if the enemy was busy trying to feel his big frame. Still, it got him rations and a full belly, so he couldn't complain too much. It took about half an hour but he returned with all the requested items in rather large quantity. It didn't look like much when Jarek was carrying it, but when he put it down next to Talion it looked like a four foot tall mountain of meat which of course it was. "That should do...I think."

Lorelle smiled when he offered her food first. "Thank you Talion. It looks and smells delicious." She left the plate on the small workspace he had and cut the meat up leaving the knife for whoever went next and then sitting on a nearby log to partake of the food he'd been working on so diligently. It was very flavorful and she called over to him. "The name suits it, and it is indeed quite satisfying. Thank you again." She was still lost in thought, but never so much as to be completely rude to someone who was doing her such a service.

Reiken waited for Lorelle to finish and take her seat before he helped himself. "You know what they say my new friend?" he asked as he placed three smaller pieces of meat onto a plate, "All good relations start in the kitchen. I believe you are wise to choose this avenue." He nodded and joined Lorelle.

Theron watched from the tent and felt his gut clench. She was exactly as he remembered, kind, generous and humble to a fault. Perhaps his anger all this time had been misplaced. Even as the thought entered his mind the hardness against it returned and the bitterness of fighting these many years returned with a vengeance.

Seeing such a humongous display of meats and cheeses before him made him raise an eyebrow, but Talion took the surprise quite coolly. "I hope you obtained all this food from willing donors, my consuming comrade." He chuckled to himself as he calmly continued to put one hunk of meat onto the grill after another, working on making sure each cut was cooked to absolute perfection. Most of the steaks he gave to Jarek, who was certainly hungry; he HAD gotten all the food mostly for him anyways. He was happy to serve any who asked, however, and any steak that was ready he merely gave to the closest hungry face.

After a while, he noticed Theron had been watching them quietly, with judgment in his eyes. Judgment of them, or of the others? Talion had no idea, but he had an idea to beak the ice. "Hey!" Talion waved to the rebel, a smile on his face. "Grab some steak. To celebrate our union in revolt against our foes." He left the steak on a plate for him, allowing him to join the Knights if he so chose. It was as good a way to try and clear the air as any, he supposed.

As time wore on, he began to make quick work of the food mountain, grilling and spicing not taking long, and Jarek's plate rarely remaining full. Cooking for a giant was certainly a full-time job, not one he was sure he could handle every day. He hoped he would not be made the team's cook; he only knew about three dishes, and they were mostly different ways to cook a steak. Hopefully the people would be kind enough to provide.

Finally, he had the last of the meat cooking, and wiped some sweat off his brow, sighing as he took a seat. "I usually cook for one...this was eternity." He laughed as he heaved a breath of relief, watching the last of the meat as he sat down. "I hope you all were satisfied?" He smiled at his comrades, glad things were working for the time being. He was surprised the others got on so well with a mercenary, one they had absolutely no ties to. It was a miraculous thing.

Jarek stood stoically and watched at Talion cooked. He didn't want to be impressed, and it showed. The sad truth of Jarek was that he could be ruled by his stomach at times. It was also true that he could go the longest without food as well, and had on more than one occasion so that the others would have enough to get them through. Still, nothing made him happier than well cooked food...nothing. He actually came close to being full on the steak and gave Talion a pat on the shoulder when he sat down, "Best meal I have had in longer than I can remember, thank you." From Jarek at this time, under these circumstances it was high praise and an offered olive branch.

Reiken ate only one plate of food and allowed the others around them to enjoy as well. He ate meat but did not require as much as some, and preferred nuts and berries if truth be told. But, it was well prepared and hearty, and in light of their coming exertions a most welcome store. He watched Jarek with a half grin on his face, the half that face away from this big man.

Lorelle too ate only one plate of food and helped to serve others once she was done. She smiled and spoke with anyone who engaged her in conversation, though most just smiled and bowed. Like talion, she noticed Theron glaring, but she knew who he was glaring at and why. When she heard Talion invite him over for steak she stiffened for an instant and then waited to see if he would indeed come.

Benjamin Vickers walked over to Theron and leaned close to whisper, "You are going to make people doubt you, with all this glowering at the Queen. Whatever your feelings, she is the Queen and rightly so and these people love her." She cleared his throat and spoke again, "They love you as well...but if you make them choose..." He didn't finish that statement. the Queen had far more to offer, at least in the estimation of the others. She represented a return to their homes, and the return of loved ones long imprisoned. Things he could not guarantee to any of them.

Theron looked down at Benjamin, "So you have warned me all along," he said with a sigh, "I know what I am. I am the son of a baker and a seamstress. No one would choose me when a royal is present and I would not expect it." before Benjamin could speak further he stepped from the door of the tent and moved toward the fire where the steak was being prepared. "Has everyone eaten?" he asked and those gathered close assured him that they had. He looked at Talion then, "I am not certain who you are, but this was indeed a lot of work. Thank you." he said as he lifted the plate and ate. "And it is very well made as well..." He kept his side facing Lorelle so as not to be forced to make eye contact or to speak, but he did eat the whole plate and then bowed to the chef before moving away.

Reiken leaned in to Talion, "That was a good ploy...pity he is being a stubborn jackal about all of this."

Lorelle watched him leave, "He has right. He has fought hard for these people and for Azimuth. I owe him a great debt, and it will be repaid." She spoke quietly and with her eyes fixed upon his back as she made the vow. She wasn't at all sure how exactly she could repay it, but she would do so. Pulling herself from staring at Theron's back, she turned back to Talion, "That was a lot of work. Luckily you will not need to do so every day...rations and whatever we can scavenge will be the fare once we begin the journey to the castle." She leaned a bit in his direction, "And do not think too harshly of Theron of Vargas. He is a man of honor, and his family has faithfully served the crown for many years. His father and mine were friends and often had loud debates that generally ended in good natured jibing and name calling. My father was always laughing when Edmond of Vargas was at the castle." There was a shine in her eyes as she spoke of her father and those memories, whether it was a happy shine or the mist of tears was difficult to tell.

As the final cuts of meat were roasted to perfection, Talion took them for himself, putting them on his plate before sitting back down. A chef always ate last, once he was sure his friends were satisfied. He took a bite, and his eyes narrowed. "Huh. I actually didn't make this as well as I should have. It's a little too rare." He shrugged his shoulders, continuing to eat regardless. He could never be satisfied with his work, lest he become complacent and useless. A thief had to always be practicing, always on the lookout for ways to improve.

Once Theron had left, Talion glanced to Reiken, his mouth full of food, and swallowed. "To be honest, I just wish for everyone to get along. Infighting will only lead to disaster. I may not understand the job in its entirety, but I've got to see it through and make sure it all goes well. There can be no failure. I assume you all feel the same, no?" He glanced to the rest before finishing his steak. Once he had, he drowned the fire pit, letting the smoke peter out before he sighed, sitting back down and finally relaxing. He had successfully managed to feed everyone. Thank god he didn't have to do that again anytime soon.

He listened to Lorelle speak, but shook his head with a wry smile. "M'lady, if I thought I had the authority to judge a man on his behavior, I'd be nothin' but a liar and a hypocrite. After all, to the entire world I am naught but the scum of the earth, no? Who am I to judge a surly man for his mannerisms? I am the only one who has the power to be judged by others. I've done a lot of wrong in my life, for nobody's benefit but my own. You gave me a shot at redemption despite that. I can't judge a man a lady like you would favor as an ally, for he cannot be a worse man than myself."

Eventually, time wore down to the point where sleep would soon become a factor. Talion himself did not grow weary, but concerned. The path ahead was dark and unknown to him, though the rest of his comrades would likely have an idea. "So...." He glanced to them all, Lorelle especially. "Seems it would be time to discuss just how we're going to go storm the castle. I doubt going in gung-ho will result in anything but a crushed revolution. Especially for those of us who have little knowledge of the kingdom or its surrounding areas." He referred to himself, of course. Lorelle was the leader, though he had a hunch Reiken was the strategist. He'd gladly listen to any of them, even Jarek. Talion was by far the least qualified to speak of plans for the future.

Reiken nodded in agreement, "That is an astute observation from one who normally travels alone."

Jarek drank down some ale he'd been offered, "There will be no infighting among this group once we are moving toward the castle."

Lorelle listened tom their conversation and stayed silent until Talion directly spoke to her of plans and how this victory was to be accomplished. "We cannot simply approach the castle Jarek." She glanced over at the tent and then back to them, "Perhaps it is time to speak with Theron as a group...he has a large table in that tent that would enable me to relate the entirety of the vision clearly." She stood and waved a hand for them to follow her.

She approached the tent and saw Theron staring at the map on the table intently. "May we speak with you Theron of Vargas? We have ought...no I have somewhat to tell all of you."

Theron lifted his head and there was fire in his eyes but he stood and bowed, "I am but a humble servant to the crown. You need not ask my permission."

Lorelle entered and stood on the opposite side of the table from him, "That is so far from the truth I cannot even begin to explain, but thank you for hearing me." She waited for everyone to enter and then began by pointing to the castle proper. "Nikolai keeps himself within the high walls of Azimuth castle. I have seen it many times in my visions. He is a fearful and conniving man, but he rules by pain and fear and it is an effective manner of beating people down. We found much of the same in Bracken where he had been before this, and Xavier now rebuilds both the land and the people there." She knew Theron's opinion of her visions, but she continued anyway. "We cannot approach the castle directly, as I am sure your forces have already discovered Theron. But there is another way into the castle that Nikolai will not have knowledge of nor be able to thwart or expect."

Reiken frowned, "We cannot go back in the way we left...Malkus said they destroyed it before they followed us...remember?"

Lorelle nodded, "Yes I remember everything Malkus spoke of Reiken."

Reiken immediate regretted mentioning the name. Malkus would have been a good match for Lorelle had he not given his life to save the youngest princess during the retaking of Bracken. Lorelle had finally allowed the man into her heart only to have him taken from her an instant later. He could see the pain in her eyes and felt a stab in his own heart as a result, "Forgive me. I should not have..."

Lorelle shook her head, "Please...there is no need. He was a brave and noble man worthy of remembrance and honor." She drew in a deep and slightly shaky breath but looked back at the map and pointed to the mountains to the east of the castle. "We must seek out the Wizard of Va'an Falls."

Jarek groaned, "Please tell me the tinker will not be part of this plan...please."

Lorelle huffed, "He is with Mordek and Alexa in Mord. Not to worry Jarek. The wizard had free access to the palace at one time because of Phaedra's bargain with him. My father's journals at Evergreen spoke of it in great detail. There is a secret pathway from the mountains to the castle. My visions clearly showed this as the means to defeating Nikolai. We will need the bulk of the forces to await a signal that it is safe to attack the guards, and my falcon will carry that message once we have disposed of the murderer. My vision showed a lack of commitment on the part of his forces, so they may not even fight, but that is not clear and not a guarantee. They should be ready to fight, though I will hope it is not necessary. They have already fought enough and it is my desire to be the one who fights now."

Theron listened and scowled, "So we are acting solely on the basis of dreams you have had?" he asked softly but the underlying venom was easy to hear, "You expect me to send men to their deaths based on something you have seen?"

Reiken frowned and lifted his head. It was a stance he rarely took. "You would do well to remember that King Taren had visions as well and that those visions saved Azimuth on more than one occasion. I will remind you of the vision of the drought, and of the great fever. Without his visions it is likely that your would not be alive. Have a care when speaking of what you do not understand. Her visions have never been wrong in the four years that have passed since we fled Azimuth with her near death from Nikolai's blade."

Theron looked at Lorelle then, "You have your father's gift?"

"Or curse, depending upon how you perceive it, yes."

Theron pointed to the mountains, "There are patrols all along the paths to the mountains. It will not be easy to get a group of any size past them and up to the wizard's domain. And...it is told that the wizard does not take kindly to uninvited guests..."

Jarek coughed, "You can say that again."

Reiken frowned at Jarek, "That is true, but I have spoken to him before and I believe he and I have something of an understanding."

Jarek looked away, "Yeah I know I did not help that along any, but he did not kill me, so maybe he has forgiven me."

"We can only hope." Reiken said dryly.

Lorelle looked around the group, "I do not believe he will turn me away. He is a man of great power and knowledge who respected my father and my brother. I have seen the meeting with him, but not the outcome of it. My visions are not always complete, and I know that is as it is meant to be. Knowing too much of the future is dangerous...but I know we must seek him out. If you could accompany us Theron, since you know the paths the patrols use, it would be of great help. Who can we leave in charge here?"

Theron nodded, "I will come. Benjamin...everyone trusts him and will follow him without question, especially if you publicly appoint him."

Lorelle nodded, "And so I shall. I am deeply thankful for you assistance Theron."

Theron bowed curtly, "We should rest now. It is a long journey."

Lorelle sighed inwardly, "I will announce Benjamin's position and then we can rest." She left the tent then and called for Benjamin Vickers to come to her.

Jarek called loudly to all the people. "Here ye all the words and will of the Queen."

Lorelle stood and placed her hand on Benjamin's shoulder, "It is my decree that from this night, Benjamin Vickers shall be head over this group. He will relay my directives and command you in my stead as a general. I bestow this title and position and all the power that it affords." The people looked shocked and glanced at Theron questioningly. "Theron of Vargas has led you with honor and bravery these four years, and I have need of his wisdom in a separate quest before we can retake the castle. He has agreed to be my guide in seeking out the wizard." There was a collective gasp from the group when she spoke the much feared name. "do not fear for me, I have seen our success. I will send word when it is safe to approach the castle and fight for Azimuth."

The people cheered then and dispersed. She turned to her group and Theron, "We will leave at first light..."

Reiken looked at Theron before Lorelle had a chance to move away, "May we rest in this tent?"

Theron nodded and stepped aside, "Of course. Rest well." He bowed and was gone.

Lorelle looked at Talion, "I hope your wish for peace among us comes to pass." She started to move into the tent and then stopped and turned to face him again, "What you said before about not being worthy to judge others. It was quite amazing and makes me all the more glad i am offering you this chance to redeem yourself. I have a feeling before this is over you will be a proper knight of the seven and accepted as such without question. I am pleased to have you with us." She smiled then and turned to enter the tent and find a place to lie down. She was asleep within moments from the long day and the emotional turmoil of this confrontation with Theron.

Talion listened quietly of the conversation on how best to approach their situation, not a word escaping his lips and little to no reaction elicited from the rogue. He knew little of the names and places spoken in conversation; after all, nearly his whole life had been the Jade Forest. He was in no position to understand or comprehend the dangers that laid in wait for them. Regardless, he took in every bit of new information with careful consideration. The speak of the Wizard brought a particular intrigue to mind. He was merely beginning to understand the concept of magic itself, let alone its applications, but a wizard sounded as though he were the master of it. His blade was magic, he was sure, but just what other forms and flavors were there? His hand instinctively gripped the blade of Zephyr as he remained in the corner of the tent, unspeaking, yet constantly watching.

The talk of visions was another curious aspect. He believed she had brought it up before-something about his own induction into their group, in fact. Was she able to predict the future, somehow? Talion began to feel small; in the wide world outside the forest, so many as skilled, powerful, and gifted as himself existed, ones who dwarfed his own abilities by comparison. It was a humbling thought to the thief, and one that caused him to shut his eyes in quiet contemplation, focusing on the words spoken as opposed to the events in front of his eyes. Best not to get distracted while important information was being relayed, even if he did not know the locations or path ahead.

Then again, he WAS a mercenary-it was not his position to know everything that was happening. He was to carry out his primary objective...protecting the queen. And this he swore to do until his dying breath or Azimuth's recovery. The group broke for the announcement that Theron's subordinate would become interim leader as the man himself would be accompanying the group forwards. One thing had caught in the back of his head while he surveyed the scene with his ears, as opposed to his eyes, and that was the man named Malkus. He had not missed the shaky intake of breath on Lorelle's part, the slight wavering of her words after. Perhaps this Malkus had meant something to her? Something special. Perhaps even beyond the Seven. Or was he a former knight? It was not his place to ask, but wondering about his comrades' pasts was an interesting topic. He wondered if they questioned his own past in turn. They probably should, considering he only recalled bits and pieces of it.

After the announcement, Talion spoke quietly. "I know not of this wizard or his abilities. In fact, I have never ventured beyond the outer reaches of the forest. I cannot be your guide from here on, but I believe you figured that out. I suppose my role shall be enforcer and protector, unless you have a better idea." He was not going to force a clearly exhausted Lorelle to think more, however. "Sleep on it, and give me my designation come morning." Her comment towards him made his cheeks flush slightly in embarrassment; he looked away sheepishly, scratching the back of his head lightly. "I am naught but the scum of the earth, m'lady. To think myself high enough to cast judgment on others would be blasphemy. I merely seek to be considered worthy to live free. To become a man of his own merits, rather than be haunted by his misdeeds. It gives me honor to know you deem me worthy enough of that opportunity." He knew he was overdoing it a little, but he wished Lorelle to understand his gratitude and thankfulness at his second chance. The woman was of good morality and great forgiveness-it was a favor he doubted he could ever repay, a kindness he would never successfully return. He knew he likely would owe her until his very death...yet that did not trouble him. There were far worse people to be indebted to.

With the rest of his entourage inside the tent, letting sleep take them, Talion remained outside as the rebel camp shut down, preparing for a big day come dawn. He was certain he might be the only one awake. He stood guard, eagle-eyed outside the tent. He would not let evil sneak up on his charge, his queen. Though after a few hours, he grew tired, listless. He glanced down at Zephyr, gently turning the blade over in his hand. "So...just what secrets might you hide..." It was the last thing he remembered before he awoke, having fallen asleep propped up against the tent, surprised he had managed to remain standing. He snorted the sleepiness away, sheathing the blade and sitting down, letting sleep overtake him once more before dawn broke. He had a feeling he'd need it.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Lorelle smiled, "You are worthy. Never doubt it, Talion." She bowed her head a bit and then went to the corner of the tent and crawled up on some bags of grain and before long was fast asleep.

After she fell asleep Reiken went to Talion, "I am sure all of this is confusing for you. If you have questions ask. There is nothing to hide among us." He glanced over at Lorelle's sleeping form, "If Theron knew what this has cost the queen I doubt he would harbor such animosity toward her." He sighed deeply. "I do hope at some point she finds a man worthy of her love and devotion, if she can ever bring herself to allow such feelings again."

Jarek nodded placing a large hand on Reiken's shoulder before he laid down on the same side of the tent as Lorelle and drifted off.

Reiken shook his head, "It is a good thing we do not attempt to carry tents large enough for him. imagine how heavy they would be?" He grinned and a rarely seen light glistened in his eyes. Reiken was not one given to much levity, but at times he found it in the strangest thoughts. He clasped a hand on Talion's shoulder, "Rest well..." he said and then went to perch in his normal one legged stance. He almost appeared to be thinking as his left leg crossed and his ankle rested upon the other bent knee. His right elbow rested atop his ankle and his hand gripped his calf while the other elbow rested on the left knee and held up his chin in the open palm of his hand. His eyes closed and he remained thus the entire night.

Jarek took up a good bit of the large tent, but for a large man he slept without any noise beyond the sound of his steady breathing. Reiken did not sleep, but rather sat in and odd position as he mediated. he was aware that Talion was keeping guard, and that he had drifted off as well, but he was awake, at least on a mental level and kept watch the remainder of the night. The Golden elves of Lingerloft did not require sleep as others, and that had proven to be a very good thing over the course of these last four years.

Lorelle never felt in danger with her knights around her, and slept easily because of it. However, her visions sometimes took the form of dreams and interrupted her sleep. Tonight was not such a night, and she slept soundly until the morning in spite of her conflicts with Theron. She woke a bit stiff though from the bags moving around as she slept and in truth by morning she found herself on the ground in the middle of a pile of bags, a few of them atop her. She blinked and wondered what the weight was on her back and side and tried to turn over. She turned her head and saw the bags and chuckled softly. She folded her arms and rested her cheek on them waiting to hear someone else stirring so she could ask for help.

If Talion were a more inquisitive man, he would likely have tons of questions. However, he wondered if the answers would really affect the outcome or his decisions. He had a job to do, and that was to protect the queen. He was sure he would be able to accomplish that goal, and the information he needed most would be that which would aid in the completion of his task. Politics was never his game, and he was well aware of that fact. In the back of his mind, he knew that he was the vanguard of a revolution, the enforcer of what essentially stood as the rebel leader. While that did bother him slightly, his sudden importance to the future of the entire kingdom, he knew he had to put it aside. Mercenaries did not get to play politics. They were supposed to follow without question.

He jerked himself awake as the first rays of sun peeked over the horizon. He had been asleep too long; perhaps years of working through the night had made him quite the tired individual. Regardless, he picked himself up, yawning as he forced himself to stand. His first check was inside to see how everyone was doing. Reiken appeared not to have budged an inch since parting ways with him that night. Jarek was curled up in a massive heap in one corner, and Lorelle...appeared to have been buried in a pile of grain bags. Talion rolled his eyes. "M'lady....if you had asked, I would have given you something a little softer and lighter."

Talion hefted a couple of them off of his charge and helped her to her feet. "I take it you had a less than ideal nap?" He chuckled as he selected one of the bags of grain to sit on, yawning as he glanced outside the tent, where the camp was beginning to wake up. "Seems as though your subjects rise early. Ready for a new day and a new era." It was a mere statement of fact to Talion, as opposed to a motivating line. "I can't speak for the rest of them, but I am prepared to move out at any time." Breakfast sounded good, but Talion was used to going without food for days, and he could easily stave off his hunger for quite some time.

He turned to exit the tent, his face once again quiet and calculating. He was glad nobody had seemed to recognize him as the master robber who had pillaged more than one of the camp. For that, he was eternally grateful. Talion went to the stables to greet Cormoranth, who he had noted had received expert care that evening. His mane looked like it had seen a good brushing, and his water trough was full-clearly the stablehands had been very kind to the stranger's steed. He gave his mount a hug and smiled warmly. "Glad to see you're doing well buddy." He remained with his friend and partner for a few minutes, giving him a cube of sugar and attention as he loved to do. Cormoranth was his friend, and he treated those he cared for with utmost respect and care.