Azimuth Reborn

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Lorelle was smiling at Bartlett, "You have always been a treasure to the kingdom. You will be rewarded, whether you like it or not."

Bartlett waved a hand at her, "No need Highness, none at all. I can never repay the debt I owe to your father."

Lorelle had no idea what that debt might be, but she was used to hearing those words. her father was one of a kind, and everyone respected and loved him, apparently for good reason. She intended to recognize everyone who was of any sort of help restoring Azimuth to its former glory. She was humble though and was not attributing that turn around to herself, but to dethroning Nikolai. In her mind, he was the cause of every woe in the country.

She looked over at Talion while he spoke wondering why he was in such a hurry for his arrows, when a loud shout was heard from outside. Her brows winged high and she saw Bartlett scurry off and return with arrows. She did not speak while all this was happening but just observed. She had a tendency to be quiet while she formulated her thoughts and decided upon her conclusions. He was gone before she had a chance to do so however. But when Bartlett spoke there was a decidedly different look in her eyes. "He requires what?' she asked standing where she was and very gently setting her cup on the table. It was the quiet controlled anger that anyone with sense would avoid encountering.

Reiken put a hand to her forearm though, to stop her from acting rashly. "I have heard that name before Highness," he said quietly, "We cannot risk someone of that character knowing of your presence in Azimuth."

Jarek growled, "I can't say I trust this Talion, but if that guy dares to enter here, he will be pummeled without mercy. I have a lot of hostility to unload."

Reiken grinned only slightly, "If he comes in, which I doubt, you will have my blessing in the pummeling. I would be seeing the Queen safely away."

Raisa was visibly shaking she was so mad. "I can go out and help and Rusky would never even know it. Can I? Pleeeeeeease???"

Bartlett shook his head, "No Raisa. It is too dangerous. The Inn is full of people having dinner. I cannot have him in here."

Raisa frowned but capitulated. She seemed to be vibrating in place, but she was actually moving all over the room doing many things and returning to the spot so she didn't miss anything. She was also eating food off their plates that was left untouched, because when she moved this fast for this long she got HUNGRY.

Bartlett put a hand to her shoulder and clasped his fingers around it. "You need to relax. There are still many hours of dinner serving. You are going to fall over. He will be fine..he always is."

Raisa sighed and stayed in place. She couldn't move undetected with his hand there as it was, so she concentrated on settling herself a bit.

Lorelle frowned, "Very well," she said to them all, "We shall remain as we are, unless he enters. I do not like it though. Once we find the rebels, Bartlett, we will take care of your nuisance for you." There was a fierceness to her expression then, that accompanied the promise. Like her father, she did not make promises lightly, nor did she promise things she did not intend to see to the end. This Ruskford would be very sorry he chose to extort money from someone in her kingdom.

Talion did not look at Rusky as he spoke, keeping his eyes trained behind him, having spotted the four archer bandits and now tracking their every move. Rusky seemed not to notice this fact, instead reacting to Talion's calm greeting. "You have the GALL to ask me that?" Rusky stepped forward, snarling. Talion barely acknowledged his affront before lazing drawing his eyes back to him.

"Well, yeah. After all, it's unusual that you'd ever leave your hideout for something as simple as a target raid. What seems to be on your mind?" Talion knew exactly what was on his mind, but was intending to be as much as a jerk as possible, trying to rile up the barbaric thug.

"You have been cutting into my business for TOO long, Shadow! When ya showed up, I had the entire Jade Forest under my foot. But then I got word of some upstart thief robbing people so perfectly it was like they never were even there. The 'Jade Shadow', they called him. My business started drying up because people were too afraid ta even set foot in the woods...either that, or yeh'd cleaned 'em out by the time they reached me." Rusky clenched his fist, obviously eager to speak more.

"I could forgive all that, really I could. But then my scout finds ya not only guiding a buncha folk through my neck of the woods, but ya stopped one of my traps and shot my scout." Rusky grinned darkly. "That is just something I cannot tolerate."

Talion remained unfazed at Rusky's threat. "So? Are you going to do something about it, or....?"

Rusky nodded. "Oh, you better believe it, Shadow. You got two choices here...get out of my way and let me rob the nice folk inside blind, or I string ya up in the trees to let everyone know you don't mess with the man named Rusky."

Talion shrugged. "Sorry. Can't really let you do that. They're my charges, after all. Seeing my employers robbed doesn't send a message of confidence, after all." Talion stood his ground.

"Alright then." Rusky waved his arm, and all four hidden archers fired at Talion at once. He had seen the action coming and, seeing them fly in, took three steps forward, watching each shot sail over his head. Talion eyed the brute with mirth in his eyes. Rusky was shaking visibly with rage, a vein seeming ready to burst on his forehead.

"You'll have to do a bit better than that to hit a shadow." Talion calmly drew his new blade, Zephyr, again noting how strangely comfortable he felt wielding the thing. "Come on, then. Come see why I am the true legend of the forest."

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Reiken twitched his ears a bit and moved closer to the door. He could hear the conversation and the corner of his lips curved just a tiny bit in amusement. He wasn't concerned until he heard the loud man say he was going to come in and rob everyone blind. He frowned and listened on.

jarek didn't like that change of expression on Reiken's face, "Let them come in," he said as he pounded his fists together, "I have a lot of rage to pound out."

Lorelle could tell Jarek was hiding his pain and loss behind all that 'rage' and she had no doubt he would indeed pound his way through it, but she was hopeful that would not be necessary. She was watching Reiken too though, knowing he would stay by the door until there was a real threat. She didn't have a magically enchanted sword like the others, but she did have a sword that was made specifically for her and with which she was extremely skilled. She also had a bow, and though she was not as good a shot as Reiken, she could hold her own against most foes. The main problem was that there were MANY guests dining in the Inn, and to make any kind of offensive would put many people at risk. She took a step closer to Bartlett, "Perhaps it would be wise to move people to the back room?" she suggested, "Just in case."

Naturally, Rusky laughed. "Boy, you have a long ways to go before you can take on the master. You aren't even worth the time for my littl'uns! But they're the best I got right now, so they'll have to do with chewin' on you..." Rusky laughed and leapt back, an impossibly far jump for the man to make under normal circumstances. Talion snarled. Was he under aid of some magical equipment as well?

The archers leapt down from the trees, aiming to engage Talion directly. At the same time, Rusky's two sword-wielding flanksmen approached, evil glints in their eyes. Talion sighed, sheathing Zephyr. "Not yet." He smiled softly, rifling through his pouch on his belt with one hand, reaching for his bow with the other. He took careful stock of each foe's position, memorizing just where each one stood. With a flick of the wrist, an object flew from Talion's pouch, landing inbetween the approaching rogues. A thick black smoke poured from the object, obscuring their view. Talion, having practiced this maneuver many times, quickly drew his bow, firing, reloading, and firing again, four shots able to be released in the breadth of a few seconds. Cries in the smoke could be heard.

As the smoke died down, Talion gasped, not expecting a counterattack as he narrowly dodged an arrow that had made its way through the black clouds. Four of Rusky's underlings lay on the ground, clutching at wounds in their stomach or leg. He tutted. No chest hits...maybe he was getting rusty. At least for now, they were incapacitated. The final two, one bladesman, one archer, bore down on the thief. Without skipping a beat, Talion pulled Zephyr from his sheath once more, the blade glinting in the evening light. The swordsman came first. His attacks, while swift were predicable. Talion parried his every blow, finally striking home with a strike to the hip, sending him to the ground. Talion tried to avoid being fatal whenever he could. The final archer, suddenly finding himself alone, gulped and turned to see a masked thief slowly taking deliberate steps forward. Losing his will, the apprentice turned heel and fled back into the woods, a cry of fear emanating in the clearing.

"Rusky, your goons are cheap class." Talion spun, searching for the man. "Now are you going to come and face me, or-" He suddenly felt his neck gripped by an incredibly powerful force.

"Right here, kid." Rusky seemed to have dropped from the sky itself. He threw Talion with all his might, sending him sailing into the door of the inn. Talion braced for impact, letting out a cry as he crashed against the wooden door, cracking but not quite splintering it. The lock broke, and the door swung open, revealing a shaken Talion struggling to his feet as Rusky laughed haughtily a distance away.

"H-hey." Talion weakly waved to Bartlett and his charge. "Fight's going...ugh...awesome." He winced as his back straightened, but then turned to face down Rusky once again. "Coward's move...fight me head on!" Talion jumped off the steps to engage Rusky again, though his steps had slowed. It seemed the blow to the door might have injured the thief, even if he refused to admit it.

Inside the Inn there was a series of thuds heard on the roof and then a bit of incomprehensible shouting, that only Reiken had been able to make out clearly. there were a few wary glances cast about the group, speculative sort of glances.

Reiken tipped his head, "Things appear to be going fi..." His ears twitched a bit as the sound of the door creaking and then falling open interrupted his declaration. "I could be mistaken." He said then.

Lorelle frowned, "He appears to be injured."

Bartlett still had his hand on Raisa's shoulder, "No."

Jarek stood then, "I could use a bit of anger management," he said as he stood and made his way across the room and looking at the crookedly hanging and damaged remnants of the door. "I believe he will pay for this." He said as he stepped outside and pulled the door closed behind him far more gently than someone of his size would be believed to be capable.

His sword hung at his side. He hadn't used Titan in a great while, and he might not use it today. His fists clenched and unclenched as he rose to his full nine measures and glowered at the man who had caused the door to be broken. "I will be collecting payment to repair that door." he informed him. he wasn't out there to help Talion. He wanted to pound something or someone and he didn't really care who it was at the moment.

When he heard Jarek making his demands, Talion groaned. Hadn't he told everyone he had this covered? More importantly, it caused Rusky to laugh wildly. "Awwww. Little Shadow gets all beat up so he has to call his giant friends for help? Pathetic, Shadow. Just pathetic." Talion snarled. If there was one thing he hated, it was being called weak.

"Jarek..." Talion glanced over to him, leaning a bit on Zephyr for support. "Don't fall into his trap. Work with me here and we can take him out in no time." He pointed with the blade. "Let's set him up...if you rush in to fight him, he'll have the advantage..."

Rusky, meanwhile, finally addressed the giant directly. "I like ya. Yer intimidatin' and you know how ta force someone to fork over their money. It's a shame ya had to make demands at me, you'd have been a great underling." Rusky laughed wildly, banging his gauntlets together as he faced the both of them down. "Come on, then! What are ya waiting for, old age?"

Jarek looked at Rusky and then at Talion. Obvious this guy thought they were together, "I am not out here to help him." he said pointing at Talion, "But you broke a door, and you will pay for it. The tavern owner is not part of your .... disagreement."

He did glance at Talion when he spoke and there was s very slight evidence in his eyes that he understood what Talion was saying and acknowledged it. Allowing Rusky to know it was an entirely other matter altogether. Turning back to the aggressor he lifted a brow, "I am no one's lackey, thank you. I am quite capable of handling my own affairs." He knew one thing for certain, size was not always the most important thing in a battle. Intelligence, and awareness were your best assets. It had been the trait that King Taren had seen in him that no one else had ever seen, and which had earned his undying loyalty and service even now all these many years after his death.

He watched Rusky posture himself and goad them but he stood his ground. He was itching for a fight, but he wasn't foolish. "You are the one who started this fight...why do we have to make a first move then? Are you afraid to show your cards?"

Talion glanced to Jarek, who insisted that he wasn't out there to help him. Talion shook his head, wondering why Jarek though he could take on the bandit king so easily. He'd seen Rusky's methods...he wouldn't think twice about dueling a giant. And that was exactly what seemed to be going through Rusky's head as he laughed loudly, staring Jarek down.

"Ya think I'm gonna cover that door? Well, you're half right. Your pal in there pays for insurance, I cover the damage. But you better believe he's gonna get a premium. Especially after letting someone not affiliated defend his ass...he's gonna pay for that." Rusky cracked his neck, then grinned wildly. "Ya ready for this? You're gonna face down the real ruler of the woods!" And just like that, he was gone. He seemed to have disappeared from view, but Talion pointed to the sky.

"He has an incredible jump. Keep your eyes on the sky!" Talion looked back up again and gasped, wincing as he twisted his body barely out of the way of an earth-shaking punch as Rusky came crashing down, missing him by inches. Talion growled as he slashed at the larger man, having it blocked by the metal gauntlet on his right arm. He gave a cruel smirk, throwing a heavy punch that Talion took in the gut, sending him back about ten feet, groaning as he forced himself to his feet.

"You said this sword controls the wins. How the hell am I supposed to do that?" Talion yelled over to Jarek as he stood his ground, meeting a rapidly approaching Rusky with another slash, desperately fighting to keep pace with the larger man, just trying to regain control for just a moment so he could take over the fight.

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Jarek lifted a brow. He was a seasoned warrior and barbs and posturing didn't sway his purpose at all. Threatening his friends however, that was not a wise course of action. "He will pay nothing of the kind from this day forth." he said with the ring of confident strength that was difficult to ignore. He knew this man has some sort of magically enhanced equipment, so he watched carefully, but made no movements of his own.

When Rusky asked if he was ready for this, Jarek just watched him. Without his magical equipment this man was nothing but a loud mouthed bully. Suddenly the man disappeared and Talion said look up. Jarek did so and saw then man descending. Talion had quick reflexes for a hurt guy, he'd give him that much. He turned when Talion spoke and frowned. Speaking of the sword's power in front of this guy wasn't a wise thing, not that it would work for the doofus, but still. Jarek pulled out his sword and rather than answer the question that was asked, he decided to have pity on the guy and SHOW him what the swords could do.

"Ground to quicksand," He said and touched the tip of the sword to the ground next to Rusky's feet as he took three large strides past him and ended over where Talion had landed. "Stay back," he said to Talion as he watched the 'ruler of the woods' with a slight smirk on his lips. The big man began to sink quickly due to his bulk and size. As the man sank Jarek crouched down, "I can let you sink to you death," he informed Rusky without any emotion at all. "And I very well may just because you happened upon me on the wrong day."

He stood to his full height and watched, waiting to see what the man might attempt to do. He could just as easily turn the ground back to its normal state and trap the man up to his chest and leave him there in that state.

Reiken's sword was glowing and he sighed. "Perhaps I should intervene."

Lorelle nodded, "I think it might be wise."

Reiken stood and went over to the crooked door and pushed it open and then pulled it closed behind him. The sight that greeted him was not exactly what he'd expected at all. He knew someone had used their sword but he had expected it to have been Talion, not Jarek. He moved across the clearing outside the Inn and stood by the group, "I take it the fighting has concluded?" he questioned up at Jarek but then went to offer Talion a hand up.

"I am still debating." Jarek said with a shrug.

Rusky was not one to give up easily. As he found himself quickly sinking in quicksand, rather than struggle to escape, he dove down into the sand, his body disappearing from view as the others approached. Talion frowned, his grip on Zephyr tightening. "It's not gonna be that easy, Jarek." Talion kept a watchful eye on the area, spinning when he heard the ground cracking a ways behind him.

The earth seemed to explode as Rusky leapt out of the ground itself, carrying a very large chunk of it over his head. He laughed, though he appeared furious. "Ya think you can just sink Rusky and forget about it? Let's see how YOU like being buried!" With a mighty heave, he hurled the mound of dirt, soil, and crushing weight at the group.

Talion flinched, but thought quickly. "Okay, I think I understand now..." He rushed forward, holding Zephyr aloft as he rushed Rusky. "I need an updraft!" A strong gust of wind billowed from the blade, enough to force the mound to stay aloft in the air as Talion watched it follow the gust he had created, leaving it to crash just behind and to the right of his charges. He heaved a sigh of relief before staring down his foe. "Come on, that's just cheap..." Talion winced as he fell to a knee, obviously still hurt from his prior impact.

Rusky laughed. "Boy, you don't give up, do ya? Already givin' in to old Rusky, eh? Well here, lemme give ya a goodbye present." Rusky walked forward, slowly picking up the pace as he soon began to charge in on Talion, his gauntlet held aloft as he prepared to knock the thief's head off. "Say goodnight, squirt!"

Talion smirked. He had gotten just a little too cocky. He waited until the larger man was right on top of him before reacting. As the punch for his head came rushing in, Talion ducked and spun to the left, slashing Zephyr across Rusky's back leg, forcing him to shout in pain and fall to his knees. Quickly, Talion put his boot to the man's back, kicking him into the dirt before getting atop him, the blade poking into Rusky's neck. "THAT is why I am the Jade Shadow. Test my strength and find yourself stripped of your possessions...and your life." Talion did not follow up on the end of his statement, instead holding him at swordpoint as he glanced to the others. "Before he thinks of a way out, get those gauntlets and boots off of him. Then we can decide his fate."

Jarek would have handled the rock but the kid handled it with a nice flair. So he just stood his ground and let him.

Reiken stepped forward and removed the gauntlets and boots and then slipped them into the pouch hanging at Talion's side. Bowen's bag had many many uses and hiding things was one of them. He'd tell Talion it's secrets when they were clear of the man on the ground. "I believe it is safe to let him up now."

Jarek huffed, "Possibly. Not sure yet he's safe from me."

Reiken shook his head and looked at Talion, "If he acts up further, let Jarek pummel him." He bent his head a bit to look at the man, "Might I advise that this would be an excellent moment to attempt to learn diplomacy." he did not have much hope that the man would do so, but it never hurt to put a sound word of wisdom in a foolish man's ears.

Hearing Reiken's words almost undid Jarek's stony expression, but he stood his ground with an icy gleam to his eyes watching without a word. He was curious as to what the man's bravo would be now without all his magical armor to bolster it.

Meanwhile inside Raisa was having a hard time containing herself. She looked up at Bartlett, "PLEASE let me go out and check on them. I promise no one will even see me."

Bartlett sighed, "Not unless you eat first. You have already been going too long without food. I ..." before he could finish she was grabbing food from Lorelle's left overs and devouring them. She ate the rest of the rolls, the ham, the few beans that were still in the serving bowl and even finished off the turkey that Jarek had not quite finished. Bartlett laughed, "That should hold you over...." And with a whoosh of air she was out of their sight. He looked at Lorelle, "She is going to be the death of me..."

Lorelle smiled a full smile, "She is a treasure and you love her as we all do."

Bartlett waved a hand, "She is part of the family for true...but some days..."

Once outside, Raisa could see that things were well in hand but she still stayed out of sight watching just in case something unexpected happened. No more of her friends were dying today.

Hearing Reiken speak of letting him go, Talion very slowly lifted the boot and blade off of the bandit king, still keeping a very close eye on Rusky as the man forced himself into a sitting position, laughing weakly. "Aheh, heh...boy, I haven't been beaten this soundly in a decade. Ya sure got the better of me...Jade Shadow." His eyes narrowed, but he did not act on his crusty anger, realizing a brash move could easily result in the loss of his life.

Talion shook his head. "You know I was never competing with you, right? I was merely doing my job. It's not my fault you couldn't haul in any gold after that." He calmly sheathed Zephyr, a rush of adrenaline coursing through him. When he had called its power...it had felt as though he and the blade were truly one, that it was using his own strength to move the wind itself. It was a curious feeling...and one that Lorelle had said could be very dangerous if overused.

Glancing to Jarek and Reiken, Talion smiled, though that would be unseen behind his mask. "I believe I know the perfect fate for our Rusky...after the years of insurance he has embezzled from our beloved innkeeper, I believe he ought to earn the money fairly...through good, honest work." The quickling arrived almost as though his thoughts had summoned her, and Talion gestured to the bandit king. "Raisa, I believe your new underling needs some training if he's going to work at the Linger Longer. And if he ever decides to act up, kindly remind him that you and I are dear friends and that I shall return at a moment's notice." He laughed loudly, glad he had come up with a diplomatic solution to their problems.

"Now come on. I believe we were going to talk shop with Bartlett. Let's not let this ruin our night, no?"

Raisa blinked and looked at the man, "He..work with me?" she asked incredulously. She bristled a bit, but she could tell that Talion was serious. She leaned very close to Rusky and then back at the group, "No need to remind him of anything. He'll be learnin' soon enough that I be nae one to anger."

Jarek let out a bellowing laugh at that comment, "Oh how well we know little one...how well we know." He loved the little woman for Bowen's sake, and how the two would always ruffle each other's feathers. He could still see Bowen attempting to talk after Raisa had braided his beard and mustache together in the blink of an eye. her speed was something that was near impossible to defend against. She was of a gentle nature usually and her temper tended toward mischief and not actual harm, but if you did cross her, she could be merciless.

She looked back at the man on the ground, "Well get off yer arse and follow me and be quick about it. We havena done with the dinner crowd yet..." She led the man off into the Inn and Reiken just grinned.

Jarek snickered, "Oh he's going to wish we'd killed him before long." he said moving back inside as well.

Reiken shrugged, "Who knows. Perhaps he has learned a valuable lesson and will be grateful one day soon."

The group rejoined Lorelle and Bartlett at the table. Lorelle watched them return and could see that only Talion seemed even slightly rumpled. "That seemed to go fairly well then," she commented glancing from one to the next. "And I see Raisa has a ... new friend?" Her amusement at the solution to the problems was evident in her eyes and the slight turn of her lips, but her words as always were measured and precise.

Talion only smirked as he removed his mask. "Don't worry about me. I've taken worse injuries falling out of trees. It'll take a lot more to down this man." He laughed warmly as Raisa led Rusky in, practically by the ear. "I daresay Linger Longer won't have an employment issue for quite a while to come. And perhaps Raisa can finally get a little rest every once in a while. You guys have needed another employee for quite a while!" Talion shook his head, hands on hips in mild amusement.

"Anyways...now that that's taken care of, I believe we had business...?" Talion walked out the backdoor, where Bartlett kept a modest stable of horses and carts for renting purposes. He knew the innkeep had promised free use of one of the steeds and carts, but he wouldn't allow that on his worst day. He glanced between the four-legged creatures, a bright smile coming to his face as he spotted a familiar one. It was a silver-coated stallion, standing quietly in the last stable, a single black spot on its hindquarters the lone blemish to its beautiful coat. "Cormoranth! I didn't think that merchant would ever come back with you." Talion walked in the stable, giving the horse a big hug. Cormoranth snorted playfully and nuzzled Talion back; it was evident the two had spent plenty of time together.

"Ah yes, he just came back last week! That merchant had gotten very lost, and gave me quite the premium for his mistake. But he's been antsy ever since he came home. I think he missed you...either that, or the adventure!" As if in response, Cormoranth let out a plaintive whinny, which Talion took as an excuse to let him out of his stable. Cormoranth did a lap around the area in thanks before coming back to Talion, who gently stroked his mane.

"Well, if you've no objections, I'd like to take Cormoranth out on another journey. He'll be doing a lot of good for everyone...I'm sure he'll love that, won't you Cormy?" Talion laughed as he nuzzled the stallion once again. "Okay...now that I've got my steed, I think we're mostly settled. Lorelle can no doubt handle the rest of what she needs." Talion handed the metaphorical reins over to his employer, his mood brightened having seen an old friend.

Lorelle smiled at Talion, "I am glad to hear you are not harmed above what you were before." She said with a nod. "I had not thought you were made of feathers and fluff, else I would not have enlisted you for hire."

She and the men followed Bartlett and Talion out the back door. She saw him make a beeline for a beautiful horse in the last stall and saw the obvious affection for one another, and it made her even more confident the sword had chosen the rightly. Her mother's magical abilities never ceased to amaze her, especially this long after her passing. Listening as they conducted their business, she went to her own horse and offered him a carrot and a warm hand to his neck.

Once they were done she turned back to Bartlett, "Honestly, we have need of weapons and provisions. Our horses are strong and well trained though likely in need of a good rubdown and oats." She moved to stand before the large man and rested her hand on his arm, "Your generosity is much appreciated, but not necessary. However, there may soon come a time when offering aide to me will be seen as a crime. Do not endanger yourself or the Inn." There was a quiet pleading in her voice and earnestness in her expression, "I promise you I will be well."

Bartlett frowned, "I would rather die than deny the rightful heir..." he said but then seeing her face he relented, "I will do as you ask, but under protest..."

Reiken went to his horse and pulled out his quiver, "I could do with a refill...and spare if you have it."

Jarek crossed his arms over his chest, "I need only the food."

Lorelle chuckled, "There will be food, you will not starve."

Bartlett huffed, "How far will you be traveling?"

Reiken lifted his head at that question, "We are not sure. We seek the camp of the rebels, but we have no clear.."

Lorelle interrupted, "Two days journey to the south east...they will be there the morning of the third day." She spoke quietly but there was no question in her words, just a simple statement of fact. She had seen them, and the leader. She also had seen the type of reception she would receive. Still, it was important to join with them and gain their trust and assistance. Their Leader had a very low opinion of her, and his bitterness toward her had been a nearly palpable thing in the vision. Gaining his trust was not going to be an easy task, but she was hopeful that it could be accomplished. "We need to rest well tonight, tomorrow will be a long day." Her thoughts were left unspoken as she stepped away from them all. She felt sure everything would be ready before they woke, without having to stand over Bartlett to oversee it.

Reiken lifted a brow as she walked away. Something had been bothering her for days now and like the others he was worried. "Apparently we will be traveling for two days, and I know she would like to bring extra provision for the rebels, if it can be obtained." He handed Bartlett a heavy bag of gold pieces. "Guard yourself well my friend. The tides are shifting."

With the deal struck, Talion decided he would likely not be needed by his employers until the morning of departure. After giving Cormoranth a gentle stroke of his mane goodbye, Talion turned to Reiken, the most amicable of the two other Knights he was accompanying. "If you need me, I will be out meditating and perhaps sleeping in the treetops. Forgive my departure, but I have a feeling one of our comrades is still bitter about his friend's death at 'my' hand." With that, Talion had leapt up, catching a trunk a little clumsily as he tried to force his slightly injured body up as quickly as he could.

He recovered quickly enough, choosing a vantage point where he could still see the inn, yet would be well obscured from view. There he shut his eyes, his back leaning against the trunk of the tree as he quietly meditated. The day had been quite interesting, and he never would have expected his life to turn out in such a manner. Seeking pardon for his crimes by helping to change the world...Talion would not have ever believed such a fate were possible for an old thief. Indeed. He had figured he would ambush the wrong man one day and be battled to his bitter end. But it seemed fate had other plans for the forest man, as it were. Oh, how wildly the wind could blow sometimes...

Talion, alone in the forest, slowly nodded off, his mind still on the surprise of the last few days. Were one to discover him, he would have the faintest hint of a smile on his face, one hand wrapped around his body, the other gently clutching the hilt of Zephyr, his new companion to hold by his side. The two of them would show the world that he was not worth abandoning a second time.

Jarek himself climbed up into the hayloft, finding the space there MUCH more comfortable than the rooms inside the Inn. It was a very rare establishment that has the means to accommodate his exception size, so this was his normal way of resting soundly.

Reiken nodded to Talion, "We will be leaving immediately after breakfast at dawn." he informed his retreating form and then went into the Inn to settle into his room, next to Lorelle's. He did not sleep much, but he did enter a restful meditative state since there was no danger here.

Lorelle did attempt to rest, but she was troubled by the thoughts of her visions. She knew though, if she appeared tomorrow appearing tired that Raisa and Bartlett would be persuaded their accommodations were not adequately comfortable for her, so she closed her eyes and began humming an old familiar lullaby her mother used to sing to them as girls. Sometimes it would sooth her mind and help her sleep, tonight was one of those times and the travel of the day and her body's need for rest finally allowed her to sleep.

Just before dawn though, she sat bolt upright in bed as the remnants of a dream left her. Breathing hard and clasping at the sheets, she blinked and looked around before realizing where she was and letting out a relieved sigh. She searched for the dream and what had made her feel so panicked but it was gone from her mind. It was possibly a good thing.

Cleaning up and braiding her hair, she made her way down the stairs for breakfast. Reiken and Jarek were already there, "Good morning gentlemen, you slept well I trust."

Reiken nodded.

Jarek pulled a piece of hay from his hair, "A little itchy, but rested well. Did you?"

"I did thank you."

Raisa appeared in a flurry, "brought a little of everything, have what you like and your fill of it."

Jarek grinned, "Dangerous words with a giant in the room."

"Ye know ye canna eat faster than I canna get more here."

"But oh how I love to try."

Raisa waved a dismissive hand at Jarek and rolled her eyes, "Coffee or tea?"

Lorelle smiled at the two, "Coffee please."

Reiken ignored them, "Water please."

Jarek shrugged, "Coffee my way."

"Half cow and half coffee."

Jarek smiled, "Prefect."

As the morning broke, Talion's eyes blinked open. Another day without having died in the forest...though it would likely also be his final day here. They set out immediately after breakfast, he recalled; swinging down from his tree, he hit the forest floor as silently as possible, running back to the inn he knew his employers were at, waiting for him. As he walked in the door, the group seemed to be discussing breakfast options. "Tea for me, if you please, Raisa dear." Talion swung his way into a seat, glancing to the rest of the group briefly before grabbing a biscuit, taking a thoughtful bite.

The group was so dedicated to the cause, and here he was, a mercenary with a stolen blade and wishing for amnesty. It was strange that they would hire him, and yet he couldn't feel compelled to question them. He shrugged his shoulders to himself as he ate what Raisa provided them, letting the group socialize amongst themselves. He had to remind himself he was not one of them. He was a hire on to wield the all-important blade, and nothing more. The few times he considered joining in, a glance to Jarek immediately silenced him. That man clearly hated him, and he was not going to interject in a situation where he'd just be talked down on again.

After most of the group had finished their breakfast, Talion stood up quietly. "We ought to get going...I'll bring Cormoranth around front and we can set off then." Talion excused himself from the table, heading out to the stable where his stallion was waiting for him. Talion stroked Cormoranth's mane, smiling softly as he opened his stable door. "Hey buddy. It's gonna be a long journey together. Isn't that great?" He laughed as Cormoranth snorted in response, allowing the thief to mount him before walking out, trotting around to the front of the inn. Talion smiled; Bartlett had trained the horse very well. He waited patiently for the others astride his friend, his hand aimlessly drifting to Zephyr once again, as if to remind himself it was there.

Lorelle was indeed grateful for the loyal and tireless support of her knights. Her father had indeed chosen the Seven well, and now it seemed that the swords would chose new masters when the time came. She wondered how long the magic of the swords would continue. Perhaps the magic renewed itself with the joining of a new lifeforce. Time would tell she supposed.

Talion joined them and she greeted him with a smile and a soft, Good morning, but otherwise ate in silence. her thoughts were far away and weighty.

Reiken noticed the Queen's unusual quiet demeanor but made no comment upon it. he'd learned to allow her these times. They had travel together extensively since the time Nikolai had nearly killed her to realize that her visions sometimes required a bit of introspection to form fully in her mind. He watched Jarek eat three pates of food before he'd even managed to finish an egg and some toast. Considering the man's size, he didn't suppose he ate that much, but it was still a sight to behold and a source of more than a little amusement for him personally.

Jarek ate a total of five plates of food before he guzzled the last of his coffee and then stood to follow Talion to the stables for his own steed. "Off we go then...perhaps today we will find the rebels and the real work can begin...eh?"

Lorelle nodded, "I believe we may, though it could be tomorrow."

Reiken just stood and nodded to their host.

Bartlett gave Lorelle a gentle smile, "May your father's wisdom guide you and your mother's magic protect you."

Lorelle hugged the big man, "Be safe and well until I have the pleasure of seeing you once more my dear friend." She stepped past him then and into the barn. She saddled and mounted her horse and saw the wagon full of supplies, "Who is going to drive the wagon?"

Reiken hitched his horse to the back of it, "I think we would be wise to take turns and give our mount a rest from carrying us."

Lorelle nodded, "Agreed."

The approached Talion and she rode up beside him. "I feel I should tell you," she said as her head dipped a bit and she looked at the chestnut mane beneath her fingertips, "I am not entirely certain of our direction nor of how we will be received by these men. I would be remiss if I did not warn you to be careful." She gave her horse a gentle nudge and then led them into the forest beyond the clearing that surrounded the Inn.

They traveled for four straight hours before they came upon a stream and they all agreed to stop and water the horses and take a meal. In Lorelle's vision there was a nearby water source, so she felt following this stream would be a wise course for the afternoon. She had no idea how far the rebel camp was from them, nor what part of the stream they were encamped near, but she did know it was in the southernmost part of the Jade Forest. having decided as much in her mind she stood as they all finished their meal, "We will follow the stream and I believe we will find the rebel camp along the way. I cannot be sure how far, but this is the water i saw."

Reiken nodded, "They have chosen wisely," he said with admiration for their leadership, "this part of the forest is dense and easily defensible. There are many food sources and it is still close enough to the castle to allow for news to reach them easily."

Jarek shrugged, "Hopefully it's not a bunch of farmers with pitchforks."

Lorelle reached for Jarek's arm, "i will be grateful for anyone who fights for my father's legacy, no matter who they are."

Jarek huffed, "You are far kinder than I, my queen. No one will ever dispute this."

Talion felt much in the dark about their mission, but perhaps it was better off that way. A dethroned queen, fighting to get her rightful leadership back, meeting with rebels against the new king...politics was a subject that hung far over his head. The man knew food and what things were worth, and not much else. He did not have a sense of justice; that would be a cruel irony were the thief to be noble. He did not have an attachment to either Lorelle or whoever the current king was-both the new king, the old king, and everyone in between had left Talion be in the past, so he was not fighting for the kingdom or for the future. He was fighting for amnesty, plain and simple. It seemed Lorelle cared little for who it was that fought for her-so long as the sword of the prophecy did. That particularly stung a little. Didn't matter who fought, so long as she wasn't alone. Then again, who was he, a common thief, to argue against leniency to his past? It was a give and take situation.

Heeding her warning to be careful, Talion largely brought up the rear of the group once they had exited the part of the Jade Forest he was most familiar with. No doubt the rebels in the southern corner would have heard the name Jade Shadow, though; his reputation would likely precede him. Perhaps it was best to go 'incognito' now, as it were, lest they call him a thief and aim to bring him down. Talion removed his mask and pulled down his hood, revealing auburn hair and those piercing green eyes of his. He flashed a smile to the others. "Have we been properly introduced? You've met the Jade Shadow, but this is Talion you speak to...just an honest and hardworking forest dweller." Not that that would impress any of them, but he felt it best to make sure they understood thievery was not his entire life...just most of it. Once his 'disguise' had been completed, Talion moved back to rejoin his charges.

They approached the stream and broke for a meal. Talion dismounted Cormoranth, letting him drink to his heart's content before pulling some salted ham out of his pouch and sitting with the others. "I have not been to this part of the forest often, but as I recall the most logical place for the camp to be placed would be downstream. Head too far upstream and you will encounter a more marsh-like area, less suited for settling and more suited for bugs." Talion allowed himself a soft chuckle before falling quiet, listening to the others speak. He could not help but feel as though something was missing from the group, that he were no replacement for the man who had died while dueling him for his money. Perhaps this Bowen was more dear to the group, at least to Jarek, than he imagined. He was not sure if he could bring back any of the camaraderie the dwarf offered, nor was he sure it was wise to try. Why was he even caring about this? His job was to complete the mission, not make friends...these thoughts were not obvious, but emotions flitted across his face as he ate in silence.