Azimuth Reborn

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Jarek was surprised when the thief addressed him. He did not stop glowering though. "Bowen would not have ever surrendered his possessions." he leaned down a bit, "Had he been in full health, you would be dead right now, not him."

Reiken stepped forward at that time, "Had he made it to us or nay, his fate had already been sealed. He had the misfortune to make his bed near a nest of tunnel spiders. We could not have saved him."

Lorelle put a hand on Jarek's arm, "Jarek and Bowen had a special bond of friendship."She said softly, "You however, are in no danger from him as he is loyal to me." She smiled up at Jarek then and gave his arm a gentle squeeze.

Jarek feeling that contact looked at her and his entire demeanor was changed. Gone was the glower and it was replaced with a look of admiration, respect and affection as well. These men not only served their Queen, but they loved her as well. Jarek nodded to Lorelle and then straighten and looked much less hostile.

Lorelle patted his arm, "Thank you." Turning her attention to the new member of their party, she moved forward and knelt down in front of him, "If you would sit?' she suggested as she looked up at him. She was not what most would declare as a classic beauty but there was something about her eyes and her manner that engendered feelings of loyalty. She possessed a quiet inner strength that was difficult to ignore.

Talion obeyed the request, seeing as it didn't seem as though they would be proceeding much farther without his leg being tended to. Talion moved a few feet over, sitting on the stump of a tree he had cut down years ago to help build his tree fort. He extended his leg, finally taking the time to examine the blade he had apparently become the rightful owner of. Somehow.

"So. What exactly about this sword is so special? Special enough to give me a warning of its power, even." Talion traced the air with it. It felt...unusually sharp. As though the air itself obeyed its whims and moved out of its way. He would have taken a slash or two, but his employer was in range, and he did not need to risk another accident.

"You know, I was not fighting him to the death. I was merely trying to make him stop fighting. You act as though I were trying to bring him harm. I am a thief. Not a killer. I do not care about his prowess. I never wish for conflict amongst those whom help to pay for my well being, and I always leave enough for them to leave the forest." Talion's words were again quiet. "If you wish to back up your belief that I am poor in combat, you are welcome to spar with me at any time." Probably a risky proposition. There was no doubt the giant would grind him into mulch if it weren't for his employer's decree that he not be harmed. His pride, however, could not stand to be injured quite so much. If he were to take more potshots that the now deceased dwarf were oh so better than he, he would have to take steps to quell such a thought.

Lorelle moved a little bit to be able to tend the man's leg easier, and began to unwrap the bandage he had applied. "The sword you hold is called Zephyr and it has power over the air and wind. It will obey your thoughts and can create with wind any magical event you desire, however be warned. Using the swords will cost you. They use your life's energy to create the magic. So, you will shorten your life by using the magic. The sword itself is well crafted and strong, and using it for its designed purpose will not draw upon your life force, so you need not fear touching, dueling with it, or using it for protection. Also, using the magic for extended periods of time will cause other issues, fatigue, in extreme use unconsciousness. We have come to believe it was my mother's way of ensuring that the swords could not kill the knights from one use."

She got a look at the wounds and glanced up at him, "Bowen's axe was always well honed." She poured the bottle of healing potion on the wound and waited. Before their eyes the wound closed and though a red line remained, the wound itself was healed within even the muscle itself. She stood then, "It may feel a bit weak for the rest of the day, but if it bothers you beyond today, please inform me."

She drew in a breath, "Do you have any provisions you wish to bring?" she asked him, "It will be some time before we return here." He might have something treasured in that treehouse. She did not want to ask him to leave it behind, or sacrifice it for her cause.

Reiken watched and listened. He was examining the map Lorelle had drawn after her vision and determining what their fastest course to the location she had indicated would be.

Jarek still didn't like this thief but he had to admire his pluck. "We often spar amongst ourselves. You are welcome to try your skills at any time. It would hardly be a fair assessment, however, since we have been in possession of our swords for over a decade." He looked at Bowen's sword then and felt a stab of grief slice through him. He would never again hear the snarling voice of his tiny friend, never watch the quickling knot his beard so that he could not talk, nor would he have to stop and wait for the smaller man to catch up. The thought of it made his heart ache horribly.

The explanation of the sword's property was quite concise, even if he didn't quite understand the magic behind it. The power over wind was certainly an interesting and useful ability, though...he stared the blade down, now wondering just how powerful it was to have to draw from one's own life force to work. Trading life for power...it was a frightening prospect if one thought about it for more than a minute or two.

Watching the potion heal his wound was a strange sight, and a strange, numbing sensation as well. He flexed his newly recovered leg experimentally. It was a little numb, but he would manage regardless. "Thank you. That probably would have bothered me for a couple weeks otherwise."

As for anything leftover...."I don't have any ties to possessions...anything I need is already in the pouch your friend bequeathed to me. Except for my smoke bombs, of course." Talion chuckled as he glanced to his most valuable possessions. His handcrafted smoke bombs had befuddled many a possible escapee, and he knew they could come in handy on a quest such as this.

"Well...it's been a while since I did not have the element of surprise. Perhaps once I have my leg back to full strength I ought to see how the rest of the 'seven lights' fare." Talion chuckled lightly as he got back on his feet, his leg only protesting a little bit. "Okay. I can guide you through these woods, wherever you need to go. There are other bandits besides myself, but they dare not challenge one whose status somehow became legendary over the last few years." Talion shrugged. "I don't know why, I was just trying to survive out here."

Lorelle nodded, "You are welcome. When I can provide aid I do so."

Reiken stepped forward then, "It would seem a reasonable assumption that you are aware of the location of our camp. leading us back to that location in the quickest manner would be of great help, since all of our possessions were left there."

Lorelle blinked, "That was perhaps unwise, now that I think on it. If there are other bandits it is conceivable that we will return to find everything gone."

Jarek growled a bit, "We did not bring extra provisions my Queen."

Lorelle put a gentle hand to Jarek's arm again, "No need to worry. We can obtain more from Brynn."

Reiken nodded, "She has been more than willing to help us in the past, I am certain she will do so again, especially since the Queen travels with us now."

Jarek frowned, "We should go there in any event. She will want to know about Bowen."

Lorelle nodded, "She will indeed." She looked at Talion then, "Do you the way to the Inn and Tavern?" she asked. It would seem we are making a slight detour first no matter the condition of our possessions."

Talion smirked. "I doubt your possessions will be gone. This is my neck of the woods, and like I said, the other bandits of this area don't dare cross me, especially when I had you as my targets in the first place." He shrugged his shoulders, sliding Zephyr back in its sheath as he did so. "Regardless, I've got some food from your dwarf, in addition to a little of my own. Not much, though. Travelers have been rarer and rarer these days."

Talion heard talk of an inn and nodded. "If it is the one I think you speak of, I do a lot of business there. The innkeeper is one of the few who knows of my identity. He's quite lovely company, if I'm honest, though that may be because he is where I spend most of my ill-gotten gold. Regardless, he and I are on good terms. I see no issues with traveling there afterwards." Talion shrugged again, then pulled up his mask, stepping a little bit ahead of the group. "Stay behind me. There are often traps and pitfalls set up by bandits both old and recent, and one never knows when you might trip a wire."

Talion moved forward as quickly as he dared, icy blue eyes scanning the area for any possible dangers. It didn't hurt to be over-cautious in the forest, and a few movements of animals had him alert to every sound and sight out of the ordinary that caught his attention. It was clear he was an experienced tracker, able to use stealth and silence to his advantage in his every step. Though he was at the ready, he kept no weapons drawn, and his pace was quick enough that it did not feel as though he was dragging.

Reiken regarded the man critically, "We can only hope you are correct."

Jarek took up his place at the rear of the line as he was accustomed to, with Reiken behind Talion and Lorelle before him. They followed as instructed and before too long they were back at their campsite, and true to his words, all of their possessions were still there on the horses.

Lorelle went to her mare and gave is't nose a gentle brush, "I am grateful the mounts are here. Haya and I have been friends a long while, have we not?" She rested her forehead against the mare's and then smiled up at her.

Reiken went to his horse which was a slightly large steed and mounted, "Thunder can manage a double load, if you care to ride." He offered Talion. "I think Jarek's mount would commit suicide if we asked a pound more of him."

Jarek cast a feral growl at Reiken, "He's plenty strong enough to carry two of me."

The horse whinnied just then, at exactly the right second and Reiken laughed, "I do not believe he agrees."

Lorelle gracefully mounted the mare and looked down at Talion, "Any one of these mounts could carry you, when we get to the inn I will purchase another mount, of your choosing for you. We have far to travel yet, and on foot will not be convenient."

Talion was relieved to see the bandits indeed respected his territory, and their items had not been lifted. The horses presented a problem, however. "I'm sure you may be aware of the situation so far, but I don't think I will need to ride for the moment. Traps and ambushes may be waiting about the deepest parts of the forest, and riding through at a full clip could be an incredibly costly mistake." He nodded to himself. "And I can't spot them so well from horseback."

"I'm sure you probably did not notice, but I had been stalking you from the trees for quite some time, and I had managed to keep up with you fairly well. It's my belief we should continue to be cautious until we close in on the inn. No traps will be there, as I frequent the place a lot. From there we should be able to get safe passage out of the wood with more speed. For now, I would say it is better safe than sorry. I do not fully understand your quest, but it's my job to protect you."

Talion spoke bluntly and honestly, choosing not to mince words as he explained the situation. "And if anyone chooses to decide you might be a good target...they'll find a bow shoved down their throats." Talion chuckled. His bow was nothing special, and he often used it as a surprise melee weapon over its normal designed purpose. Regardless, he eyed the others, wondering if they'd even bother listening to the thief.

Lorelle looked down at Talion from her mare and frowned. "I had not considered that." She said thoughtfully. Leaning down to pat her mare's neck gently she dismounted and held the reins in her hand instead. She was quiet again for a moment and then spoke, "I have been gone from my lands for a very long time, and I believe at this time we would be wise to take the counsel of one who has more experience with the hazards that are present at this time."

Jarek and Reiken both dismounted as well. Neither spoke but like Lorelle took hold of their reins and prepared to lead the horses while they walked beside them. He may have preferred that they leave them behind, but that was not an option for many reasons. Jarek's mount in particular would be extremely difficult to replace because of its size, Lorelle's mare had been her chosen mount for five years and was well trained to take the most subtle of directs from her rider, and Reiken's mount had been a gift from the elvin high counsel after a war, which might have meant the extermination of all elvinkind, was averted and peace restored.

Lorelle nodded to Talion, "I had not been aware that we were being followed," she admitted, "but it did not occur to me that bandits would have taken up residence in the forest, when the Plains had always been their chosen territory. However, I do appreciate your words of loyalty and protection."

Reiken chuckled softly, "Do not allow yourself to be taken in by the Queen's gentle nature. She can best most of us with the sword and all but myself with a bow. But, that being said, she is the target of all Nikolai's men, and they know her image well. Vigilance if key to our success."

Lorelle made a face at Reiken, "our quest, my Knight, is to find the rebels that hide themselves in the southernmost parts of the Jade Forest, and to join ourselves to them in order to retake the castle and unseat Nikolai. They ... many of them believe I am dead. I cannot blame them for that, but I wish to redeem myself in their eyes."

Jarek frowned, "Your sacrifices speak for themselves Highness."

Lorelle smiled sadly, "Not to those who are unaware of them." Looking back to Talion, "lead on...please."

Talion raised an eyebrow at the addressing of him. "Knight? Please. Call me Talion. I am a scoundrel, a thief, and a ne'er do well. I am not worthy of such a title. Mercenary is a more fitting term if you must address me as something." Talion shrugged to himself. "Regardless. Follow closely to me. I will keep an eye out for anything suspicious." He stalked forward, his eyes alert to any passing flicker, ready to spring at a moment's notice. Watching his technique could be oddly fascinating at times. A man with no formal training of his own with reflexes like a cat's, eyeing the area with the attention of a seasoned veteran in battle. Every motion told a story of another fight for his life.

After some time trekking through the forest, during which Talion had refused to respond to any words spoken to him, he suddenly froze, his hand raised to alert the others. "Well, well. This is certainly interesting." Talion knelt down to the ground. "It looks like somebody decided to try and set up a little trap. Bet they didn't count on someone like me showing up..." Talion calmly lifted one foot, stepping directly on the tripwire nearly invisible before him, purposely triggering it. A net that had been hidden on the ground sprang up, taking its quarry of a few sticks and leaves with it. "Looks like someone intended for their victim to stumble forwards into the net. A common practice, if a bit predictable." Talion took out his bow, nocking it with one of only three arrows he had on his person. "Now, if I were a thief, I would be...."

Talion scanned the area for a moment, then smiled. "Right. About. Here." Talion suddenly spun and fired his bow, the arrow whizzing through the air. It made a solid THUNK as it struck wood; the sound of leaves rustling accompanied a figured cloaked in black leaping from the branches to the ground and booking it in the other direction. Talion cursed. "Rats. My bow is poorly calibrated. Otherwise that would have been right in the foot...." He muttered to himself, then scaled the tree, retrieving his ammo from the bark about fifteen feet up. "Can't be losing my arrows, I only have a few to my name." Talion chuckled. "We should probably move. No doubt that man was part of Rusky's gang. They've been challenging me for dominance for the last few years. The Inn is the safest place right now."

Lorelle lifted a brow, "The sword claimed you, so a Knight you are," she said with a soft and slightly amused tone to her voice, "The Swords do not choose ...what did you call yourself? A Ne'er do good?" She did smile though, "Thank you for permission to use your given name until you feel comfortable with your rightful position in my court." She had little doubt he would earn his place before this was all said and done, all of the Knights had, and continued to garner her favor and respect.

The followed behind him as instructed, and she did watch his movements and found them amusing, interesting and practical for the most part. He may not have formal training but he knew his way around this forest, and it was exactly what they needed. She had the fleeting thought pass through her mind that they had been fortunate to not have come across any traps before encountering him.

He stopped suddenly and Reiken put Lorelle behind him and drew his own arrow and had it at the ready before Talion sprung the trap. Such a trap would not have been very effect against them with Jarek in their midst, but the bandits here would not normally have a Giant of Zen trampling around their woods. The cloaked thief scampered away and she listened as Talion said his bow was poorly calibrated and she smirked a bit. Or he had intended for the other man to run off and away from them so he could retrieve his arrow. "We can provide you with additional ammunition and a new bow if you would like." She said as they moved forward once more.

She looked around in the trees though, "I am saddened that so many need to resort to such measures to provide a living for themselves. There is no safe place in Azimuth while Nikolai reigns in my stead."

Reiken nodded, "We do need to keep a watch for Nikolai's patrols. They cannot be allowed to even see that the Queen has returned."

Talion remained unfazed from the comments he heard until he overheard Reiken mention the Queen. "Did you ever consider disguising her appearance? Perhaps you could be slightly less cautious if you seemed more like a band of travelers or merchants as opposed to royalty and her bodyguards. Then when your time comes to reveal yourself to those who need you most, you will be able to do so in safety. Perhaps when we reach the inn I can find a rogue's outfit for you to wear. Few would ever expect one of high status to be dressed like she needs to steal to stay alive." Talion pointed to his mask, emphasizing his point. "Would you expect one such as myself to be a 'Knight of the Seven Lights'?"

He returned the arrow to the small makeshift quiver he had sewn into the back of his cloak, then scanned the area. No more traps seemed to be in the way, and the forest was dead silent save for the twitter of a bird here or there. "No doubt the man is reporting his findings. We will be unopposed, though not for long, as they will try to swarm and overrun us if we linger. Rusky prefers intimidation to stealth in the woods. Not a tactic I approve of, but an effective one nonetheless."

Talion picked up the pace, his movements becoming that of a jog as he moved towards the inn in a slightly winding fashion, attempting to throw the scent off any watching their movements. Talion was cautious in the extreme, and did not mind taking extra time to ensure they were not and could not be easily followed. As they trekked, Talion spoke aloud. "So. You seek to rid this region of a tyrant usurper. I have not heard of any news of such a thing. Is he merely evil because he took the throne from you? Or perhaps he is as cruel as he is cunning or forceful for having snatched it from you." Talion spoke openly of his curiosities and doubts about the quest at hand. He was a mercenary now. He was paid to complete the task, no matter the doubts. However, if he was to be spending extended time with the group before him, it could not hurt to understand them and their overarching goals a little better.

Lorelle looked at him, "You consider this regal attire?" she asked looking down at her breeches and vest. "I wear the cape to disguise my most telling feature, my hair. But perhaps darker clothing would be wise. I had not thought to be that subtle, but I can see the wisdom of it. I shall don the rogues costume once we leave the Inn. I am known there, but they will protect me from any of Nikolai's guards that might happen to enter."

He began to move faster, and he would find that all of them kept pace easily, even her. He had not heard of Nikolai. How odd was that? "You do not know who reigns over this country?" she asked, "How is that possible? Does he keep only to the castle then?" her own wondering was now far exceeding his.

Reiken chimed in at this point, "Nikolai did not take the throne from Lorelle, but killed her mother and tried to kill her as well to get it. He arrived as a suitor, saying it was the favorite wish of his mother and Lorelle's mother that their kingdom's unite. He presented himself as a would be husband to Lorelle, but all the while eh was seducing her younger sister. Unfortunately the queen found him out and when she confronted him, he slew her and then attempted to kill Lorelle. He nearly succeeded, but we carried the three girls away to safety. She is the rightful Queen and he will be made to surrender the throne."

Jarek was listening and moving not quite as quickly as the others, because he didn't have to. His strides were quite a bit longer than theirs. "Queen Lorelle does not have to explain herself."

Lorelle sighed. It all sounded so sordid. "No Jarek," she corrected, "I have much to answer for and much to atone for and by the heavens i intend to do so. My Father's memory demands it and my Mother's blood cries out for it."

Talion listened in silence. His heart went out to Lorelle, who sounded like she had it quite bad in the scheme of things. The man who had gone behind her back to commit infidelities, then kill when he was found out...such a man could not have the best interests in mind for the world. "How would I know if anyone important comes through here? I live in a treehouse surrounded by booby traps...nobody is looking for me. And if I did not recognize you, then what would make you believe that I might recognize any other royalty?" He asked, not dumbfoundedly, but merely curiously, as though he wondered what the logic was that this man Nikolai was so transcendent.

"But in all honesty, the more disguise, the better when one attempts to go incognito. A face is just as much an identifier as hair might be. Perhaps it would be better if we did not look like the vanguard for you, but instead that you were merely one of us. Bodyguards scream importance, after all." Talion understood the basics of travel and being inconspicuous; it was clear from his silent footfalls on the forest floor to the efficient way he moved.

Soon, the inn came upon them, and Talion heaved a sigh of relief. "We made it. Even if Rusky chooses to engage, we have a stronghold to base our counteroffensive from. Not that I would force our innkeeper to defend us, but I would imagine we'd have an ally if a group of bandits laid siege to this place." Talion let his mask off again with a smile. "The innkeeper and I do quite a lot of business. He's offered to let me live there before, but I would never let him be an accomplice were I to ever be captured." Talion shrugged his shoulders, then led the way up to the doorstep. It seemed like this place never changed, no matter how many times he visited.

Lorelle followed and wondered how she could create a less female looking persona. She was already in breeches, she supposed her cloak was a bit feminine. she was listening to the conversation, but she was deep in thought as well.

Reiken tipped his head, "I suppose my position gives me a skewed view of the area. perhaps you are correct in this."

Jarek muttered something unintelligible under his breath and kept moving. He didn't like this guy, and he wasn't hiding it AT ALL. Being a trader by profession, thieves just grated him the wrong way. Couple that with his having robbed BOWEN, and that he was now in possession of Zephyr, and you made for a dark and gloomy impression from the giant. He had to admit though, that they did have a very biased view of Azimuth because of their association with the crown. Still, he couldn't believe anyone lived to apart from the inner workings of the local hierarchy.

They arrived at the Inn. Lorelle smiled at it. "Ah old friend, at least some things have not changed." She stepped up to the door and pushed it open. She knew once her companions were seen, she would be recognized here but she also knew she was completely safe as well. The Linger Longer Inn and tavern had been a true friend to her, and the Knights throughout this whole fiasco that was Nikolai's reign.

Raisa was bustling about the Inn, serving and taking orders, but she glanced toward the door when it opened, as was her normal habit. The quickling was over at the Queen's feet and had her arms wrapped around her knees in less time than Lorelle could take a step into the room. Her blond braids fell down her back and very nearly to the floor, and those blue eyes were fairly glowing from her face. "Och but tis well to see ye, highness! We've been fretful worried about ya..."

Lorelle bent to hug her friend, "I am very pleased to see you well my dear friend. You look wonderful. How have things been?" She asked as she straightened.

Raisa huffed, "We do well...Nikolai knows to leave us be. But we be the exception...tis good ye've come." She looked at those with her and frowned, "Where's the old fart?"

Lorelle knelt then and held Raisa's shoulders in both her hands, "Bowen fell ill and died while we journeyed here."

"Bowen succumb to illness...I canna believe..."

Reieken stepped forward, "He had the ill fortune to make his bed upon a nest of tunnel spiders..."

Raisa's eyes were wide then as she looked from one to the next, and seeing the somber countenances and the shadow in their eyes she was forced to accept what they had just said as truth. "The nerve o' tha' man..leavin without e'en a fare thee well..."

Lorelle pulled her close and held her, "He did care very deeply about you Raisa. I heard him speak as much on several occasions." Her voice was soft and barely a whisper, but she knew the quickling could hear her.

Raisa accepted the hug and then moved to release herself, "He weel be missed..." She admitted but then brushed it aside, "How canna we help ye Highness? Ye know we wish the end of this...we willl help..."

Lorelle smiled, "I had no doubt. I am told...I need a disguise...have your any notions how to make me look less like a royal?"

Raisa laughed and then saw she was serious and tapped her finger to her chin. "A wig? A diff'rent coat... some diff'rent boots..." Each time she spoke of an item it seemed to magically appear at her feet. Raisa was using her full speed to retrieve them as she thought of them. When she was done though she looked at Jarek, "The giant be a problem. He be known...and nae much ye can do 'bout the size o' 'im...wha' o' the other Knights?"

Lorelle made a slight face, "The others are elsewhere tending to other matters. I cannot guarantee any of them will be able to join us. This is why I am seeking out the rebels who make their home in the south of the Forest." She looked at the items and tipped her head. She turned to look at Talion, "What do you think of these? Will this help me blend into the group?"

Stepping into the inn was like stepping back into home. Talion had spent many a night here, recuperating after a difficult 'mission' or dealing with the innkeeper's seemingly neverending supply of rations and weaponry for when he needed it. He smiled down at the quickling, who had taken notice of Lorelle before himself, which was a mite surprising. Seemed he wasn't the only beloved guest here. He looked down at her, his trademark smirk on his face. "And here you're giving your best customer the cold shoulder? Come on Raisa, you know you have better manners than that." Talion laughed lightly, then sighed. "It is good to be back. It seems you know my friends here better than I do."

Talion eyed the selection of items as he watched Raisa collect them, but seemed wary. "These are well and good, but the number one thing we need to mask is the face. I think a simple thieves' mask would accomplish as much. Perhaps something a bit like mine. Other than that, perhaps tie the hair down or braid it? If your hair is so trademark, a cloak wouldn't always be enough, after all." Talion thought over the process quietly, taking steps as he viewed Lorelle from every angle, attempting to hide her identity.

"As for our giant companion...if the other Knights have been tasked with their own business, who is to say he isn't as well? I believe so long as the Queen's identity is hidden, the rest of us would be able to pass as his travelers or companions. Perhaps as a merchant group?" It was a suggestion, at the very least. Still, Raisa was the one for food and fashion, where was...

"Bartlett! There you are!" The master of the house had just come in from the other room, which Talion knew to be the bar. It was decent business separating the two; it kept one side more family friendly, adding to the atmosphere of the entire place. Talion smiled over at the rotund innkeeper, who had treated him with nothing but kindness for the last several years. Talion quickly found himself buried in a bear hug from the older man.

"So you finally came back, eh, rapscallion? And here I thought yeh'd gone and died on me now. That'd make this old man quite miserable indeed!" Bartlett released Talion, who took in a deep breath before sighing.

"Yeah, they haven't caught me yet. Looks like my time as a thief is over, though." Talion gestured to his company, and Bartlett's eyes widened.

"What fine company you find yourself in, Talion. If you are with them on peaceful terms, you've done yourself an excellent service, you have." Bartlett beamed at everyone there, glad to see his friends were all getting along.

Talion nudged Bartlett quietly. "Actually, that's why we've come. Besides a new 'outfit' for Her Majesty there, I find myself low on ammunition, and my bow needs restrung...among other things. I don't know if the rest of the group is in need of much else." He looked to the others to let them chime in, but Bartlett was quick to give a large belly laugh.

"Of course, of course! We will talk business soon enough, but first you all must eat! No doubt it took you time to reach us once again, and we'd be happy to serve you a hot meal. For our best customer and the rightful queen, on the house!" Bartlett enjoyed another guffaw and ushered everyone to a table, refusing to hear another word on the matter. For Jarek, Bartlett pushed two tables together, allowing for more space for the giant to sit.

Talion chuckled. "Needless to say, I'm a regular..."

Raisa huffed up at Talion, "Ye I 'ave seen nae too lang ago..." She said waving her hand at him playfully but moved over to hug his legs as he had Lorelle, "I be glad ta see ye alive...as I always be."

Lorlle gathered up the items and then stood tall and straight as Talion inspected her person from all angles. Truth be told it made her extremely uncomfortable to be scrutinized in such a way, but she did not make that fact known. The young Queen was confident in her ability to rule, in her strength and skill with both a sword and a bow, in her knowledge and understanding of the country and her people, but in her own physical appearance she had no delusions of grandeur. Her sisters were both far lovelier and ladylike than she ever aspired to be.

Raisa looked at her as well then, "We could always darken her skin with makeup."

Lorelle shook her head, "I believe the mask will do. Once we find the rebels, I will need to be able to show myself. But thank you for that offer and suggestion."

She watched as Bartlett entered and she smiled at the man. he had not changed a bit, aside from a few gray hairs at his temples. that smile and laughter had always been contagious and offered in earnest. "You look well as ever, Sir." she said with a gentle tip of her head. "And as always your hospitality is appreciated and generously offered." She followed to the tables he set out for them and took a seat, seeming to float across the floor. For a woman of strength and battle abilities to rival her knights, her grace was somewhat of a surprise. "Thank you Sir Bartlett," she said after sitting, "We have indeed traveled far."

Jarek sat and looked at Talion, "Everyone knows I am a merchant by trade. I am not sure how you knew as much. But I traveled extensively before accepting King Taren's offer to be one of his Seven. I can make us appear to be a travelling merchant group easily enough. All we need is a cart, since we already have horses."

Reiken followed as well and sat next to Lorelle. "It would seem a good means of traveling. It would also allow us to transport supplies and weapons to the rebels."

Lorelle nodded, "So it would seem. We shall make this our plan then. If you have a wagon you can do without, Sir. We can pay for it. I do not expect your generosity to create hardship for you or your family."

Raisa huffed up at Talion, "Ye I 'ave seen nae too lang ago..." She said waving her hand at him playfully but moved over to hug his legs as he had Lorelle, "I be glad ta see ye alive...as I always be."

Lorlle gathered up the items and then stood tall and straight as Talion inspected her person from all angles. Truth be told it made her extremely uncomfortable to be scrutinized in such a way, but she did not make that fact known. The young Queen was confident in her ability to rule, in her strength and skill with both a sword and a bow, in her knowledge and understanding of the country and her people, but in her own physical appearance she had no delusions of grandeur. Her sisters were both far lovelier and ladylike than she ever aspired to be.

Raisa looked at her as well then, "We could always darken her skin with makeup."

Lorelle shook her head, "I believe the mask will do. Once we find the rebels, I will need to be able to show myself. But thank you for that offer and suggestion."

She watched as Bartlett entered and she smiled at the man. he had not changed a bit, aside from a few gray hairs at his temples. that smile and laughter had always been contagious and offered in earnest. "You look well as ever, Sir." she said with a gentle tip of her head. "And as always your hospitality is appreciated and generously offered." She followed to the tables he set out for them and took a seat, seeming to float across the floor. For a woman of strength and battle abilities to rival her knights, her grace was somewhat of a surprise. "Thank you Sir Bartlett," she said after sitting, "We have indeed traveled far."

Jarek sat and looked at Talion, "Everyone knows I am a merchant by trade. I am not sure how you knew as much. But I traveled extensively before accepting King Taren's offer to be one of his Seven. I can make us appear to be a travelling merchant group easily enough. All we need is a cart, since we already have horses."

Reiken followed as well and sat next to Lorelle. "It would seem a good means of traveling. It would also allow us to transport supplies and weapons to the rebels."

Lorelle nodded, "So it would seem. We shall make this our plan then. If you have a wagon you can do without, Sir. We can pay for it. I do not expect your generosity to create hardship for you or your family."

Jarek's comment caught Talion off guard. "You're a merchant?" His legitimate surprise likely would surprise the giant. "I honestly had no idea. I was merely theorizing a possible thread for us to follow when we make our journey." Talion chuckled lightly as dinner was brought out, a steamingly fresh set of hams, with all the sides and fixings included. Talion raised an eyebrow at Bartlett. "Was this YOUR dinner? It's suspiciously fresh and ready to go..."

Bartlett flashed a wide grin. "You caught me. This was to be the staff's meal, but it's no worries! I have a second set I can whip up in just a couple of hours. I always have extras in case friends drop by." Talion smirked. Bartlett was always prepared for everything. "Now then. Enjoy! We can talk business after everyone's stomachs are completely full!" He was always full of energy, old Bartlett. Considering his large stature, he had to wonder where he kept it all. He would have to ask sometime.

Talion shrugged. "I am not one to forsake something given to me." Talion took a bite, sighing as he tasted the ham that had been slow-cooked to perfection. "Bartlett, I swear, you need to show your cooking to the world. It is exquisite beyond belief." It was the best food Talion ever got, when he was around. Otherwise he often made do on rations of bread and occasionally cheese. Meat was a rare commodity for the thief, so he always tried to make it last...not when he was at the inn, however.

He quickly became more interested in his food than his companions, leaving them to their devices. No doubt many of them were doing the same. He wondered exactly how the others felt of him...Jarek clearly had his reservations, but it was left to be seen if Lorelle was true to her word about her feelings, and Reiken betrayed little emotion at all. No doubt the transition from dwarf to thief would not be a smooth one, but if he was to do this job properly, he would need to make sure all relations with each party were smooth.

Reactions: PoetLore
Jarek was used to such a reaction, but it always irked him and set him a foul mood. before he could open his mouth to speak though Reiken spared them all the coming tirade. "Jarek is indeed a very shrewd merchant, and before joining with the Knights he was well known and respected all over the world. Taren was fortunate to sway him into service. he has been an asset to the crown in every way."

Lorelle smiled and nodded, "I could not have spoken that any better, Reiken, thank you."

Jarek was instantly calmed by their words of affirmation and praise and filled his plate and began to eat with delight everything that was set before him. Still, when he would glance at the thief he'd wonder what was so surprising. He was well aware that most people felt Giants were large and stupid. He had worked very hard to overcome that, and be seen and respected for his wits and intellect. had all of that been for naught? Were his kind still regarded as nothing more than beast for heavy work? He ate the rest of the meal staring darkly into his plate. not even the joy of the food was touching him at that moment.

Reiken had hoped his words would have made a difference, and it seemed they had for a few minutes. He well understood his large companion's battles with prejudicial perceptions. He was of the high golden elves, who were known to be arrogant, and rude. Everywhere he went people expected such behavior of him. More often than not, he was greeted rudely by people so that they could beat him to the punch, so to speak. Like Jarek, he was endeavoring to alter the perceptions the world had of his people. Also like Jarek, he was experiencing a long and frustrating process of attempting to undo the misdeeds of many others who came before to create those perceptions.

Lorelle however, watched them both go quiet and knowing both of them as well as she did, she had a very good notion of what occupied their thoughts. She smiled at Bartlett, "Please express our thanks to your staff for their gift and their willingness to delay their own dinner."

Raisa waved a hand to her, "We can wait...and it will be nice and hot when we get to it..." She smiled sweetly at Bartlett, "It's usually overdone or cold by the time we get a break to eat it."

Bartlett and drew in a breath and glowered at Raisa, "If you were not my best server.."

Raisa laughed, "Ye would fire me and throw me out inta the forest on me arse...Iff'n ye could catch me..."

Talion raised an eyebrow at Jarek's unusually unhappy response to Talion's words. Had he struck a nerve somehow...? He was unaware of the 'giants are stupid' stereotype; he had only met a few giants when he was younger, and he did not recall lower intelligence with them. Granted, he remembered little of his childhood, but he had not meant any offense; he simply knew not of the people's professions that he worked with save Lorelle's.

He chuckled at Raisa, and shook his head. "Now come on. You and I both know he'd just hire me to chase you down. And I'm the only one who can outfox you at hide and seek." Talion smirked over at the quickling before offering her a seat. "But I can't make the inn's best hostess and waitress just watch friends eat without her. Have some ham, my dear." He chewed thoughtfully on his meat, savoring the taste while flitting between thoughts in his head.

Just what was he getting himself into? A queen who had the throne stolen from her, a sullen merchant giant, Reiken the enigma...it was all a strange tale he was getting mixed up in, and he couldn't help but wonder what dangers he might run into along the way. He sighed as he thought about the possibilities. Before long, he had noted he had finished his meal. How long had he spaced out? He shook his head, looking to Bartlett.

"Well. First of all, I suppose...thanks a ton for the free food. You really are too kind." He smiled warmly. "Otherwise. We've got a long journey ahead of us. We've mentioned what we need, of course. Beyond the wagon, I need a horse for myself, since I doubt I want to be running behind everyone." He chuckled to himself. "I need arrows and my bow restrung, and perhaps a few rations on the way. And of course, whatever my employers need." He turned to Lorelle. "Since the gold I carry is...ill-gotten..." He tried not to bring up the fact that he had looted it from Bowen's corpse, "I will cover the cost of whatever you need. Don't worry about emptying your coffers to accommodate me." His smile was reassuring.

Jarek was a bit sullen for the rest of the meal keeping to himself. usually Bowen had been able to drag him away from his more adverse inward moods, but Bowen was no more, and he was a long way down that trail. The food was good, as usually but he didn't enjoy it as he usually did. He did nod and utter an thank you to Bartlett though.

Reiken watched Jarek and was a bit worried. he was already feeling the loss of Bowen, and the dynamic the Dwarf added to their party. he wasn't sure their new comrade was up to that sort of task. He listened to Talion make his requests and offer to pay for his things with their money and it amused him greatly.

Lorelle glanced over at him as well, "there is no need for you to spend the money you have Talion. "She said with a soft smile on her lips, "I am not lacking in funds, and I can obtain more if need be." She looked up at Bartlett and he was shaking his head.

"There will be no exchange of monies...not at this time." Bartlett told the group. "Rest and I will see that you are well outfitted before the morning." He bowed to Lorelle, "It is my privilege your highness. Your Father was very good to us, as was your mother. I have no doubt of your disposition toward us. Return Azimuth to what she once was, and that will be more than enough payment."

Lorelle stood then and moved from her seat and reached out to take his hands in hers, "My parents always spoke in glowing terms of you and your loyalty. You will be remembered when the throne is back where it belongs." She hugged him then and whispered a soft, "Thank you." in his ear.

Reiken stood then and offered his hand, "Thank you for the meal, the rest and the help. We will return Lorelle to the throne. Make not mistake about it. It will happen."

Lorelle had seen herself seated on the throne once more, but she had also seen a lot of other things that were not so much to her liking. Her visions were not always pleasant things, and a lot of the time she did not understand them. She could only hope that the ones she'd seen of this journey were not being understood.

Reiken turned to the others, "Shall we retire for the night then?" he asked, "I could do with a bit of rest myself." Not something that was often heard from the Golden elf.

Talion raised an eyebrow at Bartlett, a little surprised he was giving them such expensive items at no charge. Just what was the sway this dethroned queen had with others? It was quite surprising, in all honesty. The Bartlett he knew was kind, but definitely not humanitarian. Talion mused to himself. The others appeared ready to get some rest, but he had a feeling it would not come so easily. No, there would be a surprise visitor soon. That scout would have reached him by now, so it was only a matter of time.

"If I may...the arrows will be of great need soon. Mind fetching them for me, old pal?" Talion asked nonchalantly, and Bartlett raised an eyebrow.

"Your marksmanship is excellent, young Talion. Do you really need them to practice so soon?" Talion gave a dry laugh in response, and shook his head.

"There are more pressing matters for which I need those arrows, so I'd really appreciate you retrieving them as soon as possible." Talion turned towards the entrance. "And perhaps a-"

"SHADOOOOOOOW!" The deep, intimidating voice of a man rang out through the inn, a surprising feat considering nobody had entered since the group. Talion sighed and shook his head as Bartlett, quickly catching on, rushed back to his armory to collect what Talion needed.

He turned to the others, who had surely heard the shout as well. "That would be Rusky. I'm not surprised he's here, actually." Talion gave a rueful smile. "He doesn't take kindly to failed 'business ventures'. He was, of course, referring to the trap the group had avoided on the way here. He stood up as Bartlett returned, ten arrows in his hands, which Talion accepted, slipping into the pouch sewn into his clothing. "This is not a fight I expect or want you to join me in. Rusky may be human, but he has the powers of intimidation and cunning at his disposal. I severely doubt he came alone. If you fight him unprepared, you risk a painful death."

It was all he had to say in the matter. Without another word, Talion put his mask back on and pulled his hood up, completing his 'Jade Shadow' disguise once more, and stepped out the door, a worried Bartlett wringing his hands in worry. "That Ruskford has always been a thorn in my side...siphoning my profits for 'bandit insurance'...knowing full well that if I refuse, he would loot the place. I do hope Talion will be alright."

Talion met Rusky at the inn's doorstep, eyes already picking out his subordinates in the trees. He counted four, in addition to the two that flanked the large man. "So, you wanted to have a word with me, I take it?"