• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
@Prince I have taken note of your critiques and will edit Set to make him more relatable and human as soon as I can :) I will just drop the vigilante labels but I really want him to have a connection with the Sandsharks much like how Toph is connected to Badgermoles. Btw, for team 5, any suggestions?

The issue I have with glassbending is the same issue I have with superheating air or water for the concussive force. I don't believe any bending style, with the exception of Fire which has Combustion Style, should have the ability to alter the kinetic and/or potential energy of their related material so greatly that it results in an explosion. Even the superheated waterbending style is more related to the transition of water into steam, which results in a release of heat; this is specifically different than manipulating a substance in such a way that its raw heat results in a change in material or transition in physical state. Besides, earthbending relates to the manipulation of earthen particles; sandbending is inherently different and once sand turns to glass, it cannot be manipulated due to the change in state. This is why mixed substances, like gunpowder, are significantly harder if not impossible to bend and more refined materials such as platinum are impossible to bend as shown in Legend of Korra.
I disagree.

I don't see why glassbending couldn't be achieved with lavabending; all you'd have to do is lavabend relatively pure sand.

As for "the ability to alter the kinetic and/or potential energy of their related material so greatly that it results in an explosion.", again, if you were to lavabend sand, and then set it aside without slowly cooling it, it would explode on it's own, a bit like if you poured water on a glass baking dish directly after taking it out of the oven.

"Besides, earthbending relates to the manipulation of earthen particles; sandbending is inherently different and once sand turns to glass, it cannot be manipulated due to the change in state." Then why can Bolin bend molten lava?

Like I said, I've seen this happen in real life. If one were able to lavabend, I don't see why they couldn't turn sand into glass, and if one were able to manipulate glass, all they would have to do is heat it, set it aside, then wait for the cool air to continue the process of micro-fracturing throughout the glass. Then, without the structure to hold itself together, the latent heat in the glass would violently force the shards apart.

The thing is that this "explosion" wont really have any noticeable concussive or explosive force; it'll just be a glass shrapnel distributor. But that's still pretty neat. :)

Last edited:
@Arlathina Time is the resource I have a limited amount of. Between work and class, I have notable little free time. I uninstalled League of Legends to remove one distraction from my class work. That leaves this, which really isn't so bad since most projects I can just "start and leave", and of course my friends that I need to avoid cut down on seeing while classes are up - which is the harder part. I'm stateside in a small red mapdot, and I've got a buddy in Japan tossing out news about expecting and his recent rank-ups in the Airforce, I work with two other friends, one friend actually let's us use his (and his wife's) house to party... yeah. Anyway, time is the factor!

@Damien Kriez Thanks for understanding. If you feel I'm being particularly harsh, ask just about anyone how my standards are set. In your case, you're not terribly far off; I just really want to see more of the character and less of what the character tries to be. Failure is human and limitations are natural. Group Five is actually a team of antagonists. I'm not quite sure where your character will fall at this point. Group Three is full, Group Four requires a Firebending Master (I think it's covered anyway). We may need to hold out until I get Group Six on its way.

@GonzoB. The issue with your logic there is that the reason sand explodes so violently is either a) inconsistent heating throughout the glass causing stress on the material b) compression of the material causing breakage or c) inconsistent melting of constituents of the glass. None of those are results of reliable issues that a Sandbender with Lavabending could manipulate. Additionally, the point of heat for lava and for glass is actually significantly different. To create lava with the relative viscosity Bolin had, depending on the rock, it would need to be around 1,200C minimum while glass barely gets workable at 1,800C; I've failed to find source material that reliably tells me the viscosity of pure silica glass. The reason for that is simple; pure sand, ie silica particles, actually have such a high melting point and transitional heat prerequisite that other materials are often mixed in. The key to earthbending is the purity of materials, so in this case, mixing in materials to the sand to lower its heat would make it harder to bend.

When I was referring to its change in state, I meant its literal change in atomic structure. Pure Sand is an amorphous liquid that loses its crystalline structure - the structure it had even as sand. It literally stops being a true solid and a true piece of earth at that point. Bolin controlling lava is him controlling liquid earth; that's rock in another physical state. While I could see the stretch here, the fact that the change in rock isn't permanent while the change in glass is leads me to think that it shouldn't transfer over. Not to mention, the original prompt was "can we recreate explosions" and we really can't. We could make glass shrapnel through time-based glass bombs because even if you could superheat in theory (nearly double the heat needed), a bender would lose control over it once it changed. That still isn't the type of explosions we were looking for, at least through my imagery, nor are they reliable or something the bender would have control over when truly went off.

Literally, look at the steps and requirements here. First, a character has to be both a sandbender and a lavabender to be a glass bender, but more over what we imply he can control:

Control over Sand ---> Transition Sand 2,000C+ into glass ---> Control over an amorphous liquid, ie grey zone technicality ---> Control over internal heat and density of glass

The other note is that if we allowed control over glass, would he be able to bend man-made glass? That's to stop him from just ripping out windows from dozens? I would say the fact that most glass, even in the Avatar Era, would likely be a mix of at least three constituents, but the question stands: could he manipulate glass that was solid? If so, how? Does he get to manipulate it like Kuvira metalbended the space metal? Or, does it have limitations? Can he reheat it to make it reattain its malleability? If so, to what degree and would it become red hot again? If he could, reheating glass is - which is inherently temperature resistant - is a whole different ball game as its lack of crystalline structure as well as other physical properties greatly increase its melting point. That's why glass recycling, although cheap and effective, is done with bulk and given more constituents that are later removed to lower heating.

There are so many factors here, so many technicalities, so much actual physics involved, and the fact this doesn't really result in the desired effect we were after. Even if someone just wanted a glassbender, it would be insanely complex to such a degree it wouldn't fit the "traditional" or 'spiritual" aspect of the roleplay I originally tried to create. I think even if this got by every minor technicality, it'd be too much work and imply someone with as much finesse and control of Earthbending as Toph. There is essentially one plot element I have that would justify this, and I may use it later, but I still don't see this "naturally occurring"

Last edited by a moderator:
@Prince Would you happen to know if there are too many Earthbenders for group 5?

Group 5 is a group of characters allied with the Phoenix Kingdom and led by Fire Nation Officials. Set wouldn't fit into the group because of their purpose and prompt, not his bending style.

I have posted for my group. I actually overlooked Aerronfarron's reply and thought we were waiting. I could have replied a lot sooner. My bad guuuuys. It likely just slipped through with all the work I've been doing on the other groups.

Wait... Did the RP already start? I didn't know it had already started! Could I get a link to the IC thread? (Unless I am confused, which is entirely possible.)

Edit: Looked at the OP, and I found the link. Just a thought: we should make that "Play" button a bit more prominent. I hardly even noticed it there in the corner before. I am not really sure what is going on, atm. (I will take the time to read through all the posts later on.) So, a brief synopsis would help. Or, am I just supposed to hold off for now?

Edit #2: When you decide to start playing LoL again, we should play together! :) Who do you main?

Last edited:
I worked around the play button. I think its silly. The RP has been going on for some time. :p

I'm at work now but uh... I main support Leona, but I can play nearly any support. I solo Q jungle and normally run Xin. But I rock Vi, WW, Rammus, Malph. I'm generally tanky initiate.

As of now, Group Three is almost complete (in need of the final CS), Group Four has all its component members and merely needs tied together with the final CS creation, but Group Five is still a bit far off in development stage. That said, after Group Three is complete, I will create Group Six starting with Set Suna. I will begin looking for Creative Advocates again as well.

For all of those waiting, I have done some updates and prompted each of the three groups under construction. Group Six is completely blind to me now and is on queue. I'm not falling behind anywhere and I assure everyone progress is being made. In fact, we only lack a few CS's to finish two of the three groups. For those actually roleplaying, I hope you've enjoyed seeing the creation process to a world you've already been in. :D It's still growing, being added to and attaining more people.

@Damien Kriez Set Suna is the only character sheet I have presented to me that isn't part of a group. That said, you'll likely be part of the queued group six. When a group is queued, it means I haven't started to brainstorm for it yet, made the PM for it yet and will not work on it yet. The reason for that is I need to focus on my tasks at hand. I also need to find a Creative Advocate for your group. I haven't forgotten you or anyone, I hope, I just rely on the efforts of others and the tremendous output required of me to keep this expansion going.

With all that said, I remind everyone to have a little faith. :P And to anyone wondering why I kicked them from a PM list, it was because I wanted to organize things better. You shouldn't be in a PM list if you aren't in the group, with the exception of Capt. Blu and the Creative Advocates I was using Group Three as an example for.

I will be doing Set's BG now, sorry for the delay. @Prince, no problem, just continue doing everything you need to set this up :)

Notice

Through tireless effort and my own OCD, I've effectively "completed" the main portions of the OP. I'm still going over minor edits, such as spelling, enhanced wording, making sure every place has its proper bolding/italics, etc., however, the content is complete as of now. With that said, I can amend character sheets for anyone that wants so, however, I'm still keen on keeping things organized. If you would like your character sheet updated and/or would like to have its formatting back (I did lose formatting when putting them into tabs as there was a common rich text editor error where it would be aligned
in such a way that it broke bbcode), PM me your corrected character sheet in a PM that reads "<Your Name> Corrected Sheets". I would also take a look at the OP. It's went through many changes, had many additions and editions, and ultimately looks significantly different. If anyone sees a flaw, typo, messed up coding, or would like to see a feature and/or make a suggestion, throw one at me! I know prior Curelean did and I did try, at the very least, to add more to the OP in general. Anything can help! A work of art is never truly finished ;D

@Damien Kriez
What is the state of Wan Shi Tong's library here?
That sort've falls under the same category as Metalbending. I haven't hit on it, and I do want it to be big. I should note, however, that Wan Shi does not have a ban on humans entering his library; much like the old rule, they simply must provide him a piece of new information as tribute. Wan Shi does have the same disdain for war and violence. The last human to enter his Library was Iroh.

@Prince

So I will just have to say the way you slayed the idea about glassbending might be the best thing I have read in a whil. The amount of detail that went into just cutting both the legs of the idea is admirable and I sir will just have to applaud you until my hands detach from my arms.

Reactions: Jade
@Prince

So I will just have to say the way you slayed the idea about glassbending might be the best thing I have read in a whil. The amount of detail that went into just cutting both the legs of the idea is admirable and I sir will just have to applaud you until my hands detach from my arms.
Right? hahaha

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to fathom how dissecting glassbending is more interesting than finishing the OP. lol Besides, I can think of at least one way to make glassbending work, but only because its a noncanon element of mine. But that OP? I busted aaaaass finishing that OP.

@GonzoB.

At least you have accepted how silly the idea is.

@Prince

personally I dont think glassbeinding should be a thing and hopefully it wont be

Also the Op is nice, dont stress so hard :)

Let's not call the ideas of other's silly. GonzoB. obviously likes the idea and had a lot of passion for it. Similarly, I think the idea of bending glass as if it were a liquid is somewhat badass, and I think it could be done in exactly one kind of unique scenario which is again completely noncanon. I don't think a "normal" bender could do it, but the beautiful thing about fandom roleplays is that I have every creative tool under my belt to make characters and elements that aren't 'normal.' Have a little faith, just as I don't allow bloodbending, I wouldn't allow something that would inherently break the roleplay.

• Thank You
Glassbending is as you said something that would require a very special set of skills. Sandbending and lavabending in themselves are not exactly common things and for this to work it would have to be a mix of the two. Also as the glass is created it would lose its "earthen" properties and that would have him be able to control glass aka crystals, so that would also make him a crystal bender ? Im sorry that I called it silly, but I just cant wrap my head around how it would work.

Glass isn't a crystalline structure; it's an amorphous liquid. As a matter of fact, if you read up on glass, one of the first things any physics book or even the wikipedia post for it will tell you is that it is a "non-crystalline" solid.

Yes, it would technically lose its earthen qualities, but...

...a little creative leeway and the fact that there is a huge spiritual side to this roleplay that few of you have touched upon can open up some interesting avenues to approach the topic.

I word it this way on purpose. If glassbending is ever made possible, it will not be due to the skill or skillset of the user. It will be used by exactly one person, and only that person.