Anira and Kresch

Anira smiled triumphantly and nodded, "More than satisfied." She said snidely. Stopping for a moment, she realized that he had just bought her the horse. Quietly, she cast her eyes down and said, "Thank you for buying me the horse, I appreciate it more than you probably realize." She mounted her new horse and smiled genuinely at him. She thought for a second and whispered in the horse's ear in Elvish once more, "You will be named Anna. You, my friend, are a gift from someone who used to wear a cold shield over his heart." Anira prayed Kresch didn't know Elvish but she knew she was asking too much. Before Kresch could even mount his own horse, Anira took off in a hurry, towards the forest before them.

Kresch just watched after her. She confused him greatly and he was beginning to find irritating that he couldn't put his finger on why. He mounted his horse and took off after her.

As Kresch rode after Anira, he thought to himself, "Cold shield... She couldn't be more right about that..." He tried his best not to think about her as they traveled through the forest, but it was difficult for him. He knew he was beginning to care for her, and he knew that he shouldn't. He wasn't natural to this world, and he wasn't something to be brought home to someone's parents. He had seen so many things in his life, but this feeling blindsided him. "Just business, remember? Just business." He thought as the sounds of the horses broke the silence.

They had been traveling for quite a few miles when Anira finally stopped to allow her horse to rest. She jumped down and let her loose. Kresch stopped near them a few moments later. He jumped off his horse as well, and let him loose. There was a river nearby, and the horses drank to their hearts' content. He walked up to Anira, "We should probably rest here a while. It seems as if these horses need the rest. No use overworking them."

Anira nodded not really saying much, and she walked over to the river. She pulled her hood off of her head, as well as her boots and put her feet in the water. Something she loved to do as a child. Anna stood by her protectively as she gulped large amounts of water. Anira glanced back at Kresch and saw him leaning against a tree, face riddle with troubled thoughts. She sighed and forced herself to speak, "Is everything alright? You seem to troubled by something." She didn't know why but she didn't want him to be displeased with anything. She was still slight afraid of him, but there was something else there, something beneath the surface. Did she care for him? No, that couldn't be it. He was a cold monster, or at least he tried to make it seem that way, besides he was only using her for his own gain.

Kresch's eyes slowly opened and he looked over to her. She seemed almost peaceful sitting on the riverside, cooling her self by the water beside the horses. He frowned, she had spoke to him, asked him a question but it seemed as if she was lost in thought at the moment. He needed to start controlling his emotions again. Nothing could compromise his plan, especially not some Elven woman. He realized that it only sounded like he was trying to convince himself.

After it seemed as if her thoughts had left her, he spoke, "I am troubled by something, my lady. I have been troubled by something for a few days now. And I don't understand why." She looked at him, confused. "What could possibly be troubling you?" She had difficulty reading him. She could tell something was on his mind, but she couldn't pinpoint it. And she couldn't tell it was her that was troubling him. He had always been straight to the point, business only. But now, with this woman in his life, things weren't straight to the point. He knew she was a useful ally, and he wanted that to be the only reason he wanted her around. But he knew that wasn't entirely it. He knew she still feared him, and this bothered him because he knew he would never be able to harm her. He was extremely dangerous, but she was his weakness.

After a few more hours had passed, the sun had gone down. Kresch had gone to survey the area to make sure they weren't being followed. Anira started a fire to cook the game that she had hunted while the sun was still shining. After she had gotten her fire started, Kresch returned. "We are safe, my lady."

She nodded and waited until he was seated beneath a tree, eyes close, arms crossed and lost in thought once more before speaking, "You never did tell me what was troubling you earlier. If we are going to continue to travel together I don't want anything to displease you." The last part had slipped out by accident. She averted her eyes quickly and continued cooking. Why had she said that? She scolded herself mentally as she stared into the fire.

Kresch opened his eyes and looked at her, wondering if somehow she secretly knew what he had been thinking this entire time. No, it wasn't that. There was no way she could possibly know.

"Do you remember what I told you before we started our journey, my lady?" She stared at him with a puzzled look on her face, "All of your questions will be answered in due time." He didn't want her to fret over why he was troubled. He didn't feel it was a necessary problem to address. It was a feeling that would soon pass, and he would be able to accomplish what he wanted to accomplish, and then it would all be over. This was the lie he continuously told himself day after day. She looked at him for a few moments longer and then went back to cooking. She didn't understand him, he was such a mysterious person, and the unknown was never friendly territory.

After a few minutes, she spoke up again.

"I think it's time you tell me what you expect of me, once we get to the city." She said rather boldly. She figured since he was just going to use her and what he needed her for was going to be something she wasn't going to like, hence him being somewhat nice to her. She wasn't going to go in completely blind to the situation. "I won't go into the city without knowing what you're planning. You don't even have to tell me everything, just what you need me for." She had finished cooking and was starting to serve the food. She needed to act brave around him, she didn't want to seem weak.

He looked at her for a few seconds, and then his smirk had found its way back across his lips. She hadn't seen it in a few days, so the sight of it surprised her a little. But she was still standing her ground, still being bold. Kresch stood, and approached her. "I have big plans for the Empire. And let's just say you are key. But for now, the only thing I need you to do is exact your revenge. I will take care of the rest." She thought about this for a moment until she finally found her voice again.

"My father said this to me once. He said that I was the key to big changes in the Empire, which is why we had to hide. They wanted to make sure I wouldn't have a chance to get back to the city." She was quiet when she spoke. She knew what Kresch had said had no connection to what her father had said to her all those years ago. She looked away from him and sighed, "Very well, I will help you anyway I can. I guess I'll have to trust what you say." Suddenly she looked at him in the eyes and smirked, "A fair warning, should you double cross me then I get to have my way with you, and you will be joining the Imperial scum." Her smirk lingered on her lips as she stared at him for a few more moments then turned to walk over to Anna.

As she was walking towards her horse, she heard the sound of laughter, and a thud behind her. Turning around swiftly she saw Kresch on the ground. He had started laughing so hard that he fell over. After a few moments of staring at him, she saw him regain his composure. After he stood, the smirk, the laughter, all of it, had disappeared. His face was stern, and his voice was as cold and calm as ever. As he spoke, his voice pierced her, "Betrayal is a nasty, ugly thing, my lady. Something that I would never subject you to. If you feel as though you still cannot trust me then so be it. And your father was right about what he told you." He paused for a moment to look at her. He breathed deeply, and resumed speaking, "But your warning has been heeded. You have my word."

She stared at him, completely confused. One moment he was laughing at her, then the next he was heeding her warning. She frowned and crossed her arms, "You confuse me to no end, and you know it." She said sighing. Turning back she laid down on her riding blanket, which she had turned into makeshift bed considering when Kresch had shown her his true form and flew them away, she had left her sleeping mat back at their old camp. She laid there staring up at the stars, just letting her mind wander. She thought about what had he had said about her father being correct in saying she was the key. She also found herself just think about him. She tried to shake away the ridiculous thought and closed her eyes falling into a deep and dream filled sleep.

Kresch didn't sleep at all. His mind was too busy. He kept thinking about what would happen once they hit the Imperial City. He was really excited. He was anticipating all of the excitement in killing his enemies. He was excited for Anira as well, because she would finally be able to exact revenge. His plans were unfolding nicely. It was only a matter of time.

As he was laying there, he heard a faint rustling behind him. And he was quickly seized by a dozen Imperial soldiers. They were extremely quiet, obvious assassins. He didn't struggle with them and they led him to a river bank deeper in the woods. The men forced him to his knees and one of them began to speak, "You are a wanted felon who has committed crimes against the Imperial City of Derath and her people. What do you have to say to these accusations?!" Kresch stayed silent. The only light that was present was the moonlight. Kresch favored this, it made changing easier. Noticing Kresch wasn't going to answer, he started to speak again, "And your lady friend, what of her? What should we do? Should we kill her swiftly in her sleep? Should we take her to the city and execute her publicly? What is your opinion heathen?"

They couldn't tell, but Kresch's smirk spread across his lips once again. His eyes started to glow that misty-blue, and he began speaking to them, his voice was much darker and colder than Anira was used to, "My opinion... My opinion is that you fools should run for your lives. Because they will end in mere moments from now." A soldier began to speak, and he was gutted with Kresch's tail. Kresch had taken on his true form once again. He killed all of them as swiftly as he did the guards that had threatened them earlier. They weren't able to make any noise because Kresch had cast a spell that prohibited them from crying out. After he was done with the guards, the fact that Anira was still alone hit him. He flew back to their campsite. He arrived just in time to swiftly decapitate one last assassin that was hovering over her. He laid the body down away from her out of sight from any would-be passerby.

Kresch did not sleep that night. He stood by and made sure Anira and the campsite was safe from any danger. The next morning, she awoke and saw that Kresch was already awake. "Did you sleep at all during the night?" She asked him in a puzzled tone. He simply looked at her, pointed to the body, and said "No, my lady."

Anira blinked rapidly as she looked at the dead body of the Imperial soldier that laid there. She was speechless. He had saved her again, while she slept. He had protected her in her sleep and by the looks of the body, he had used his true form once again. She sat on her riding blanket that was covered in blood, which she was sure she was as well. She finally tore her eyes away from the body and looked at him. He was cold and calm, but he did look slightly shaken. She frowned, "Tell me what happened." She demanded, her small hands balling up into tight fists once more. She was afraid, not for herself but for Kresch. He had been the only one to fight them, yet again but how many had there been this time. Last time they were just a band of Imperial bandits. Kresch sighed and looked at her,

"I was ambushed by a dozen Imperial Assassins. They had dragged me to the riverbank and tried to threaten me by threatening to kill you in your sleep. I easily disposed of them and came back to make sure you were alright. This one was hovering over you, ready to strike. Should I expect a thank you, or are you going to yell at me again?" He asked smirking. She quickly stood up and approached him. She was looking him over for any sign of scars.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Why didn't you call for me to help! You shouldn't have fought them on your own!" She was furious and worried. She knew she should thank him but right now she was more focused on being angry at him.

"So you choose to yell at me. That's okay. But to answer your question, and trust me, I'm being quite frank, I didn't want to wake you. You looked so peaceful as they were dragging me away that I couldn't fathom bringing you out of such peace and tranquility. And no, I am not hurt, save for this..." He removed his hand to reveal a massive wound in his side. "Bastard caught me before I disemboweled him. A valiant act if I do say so myself." He began to laugh and hunched over seconds after, "Can't really do that, it kind of hurts."

Anira immediately she reached out put an arm around him. "Come on, you're going to lay down and let me tend to that wound." She forced him to lay down on her riding blanket then ran over to Anna's saddle to to fetch her medical supplies. Once retrieved, she ran back to Kresch's side. She was trying to sit up, "I'm fine, my lady. I don't need help." She pushed him back down and glared at him.

"I don't care what you say, you're going to let me take care of the wound." It was a demand, not a request. She pulled his tunic up over his head revealing his torso and the wound. She started cleaning and treating the wound when she spoke up again, "Thank you so much for protecting me. Though I think it was foolish that you did so on your own, you save me once again. I owe you so much." She spoke softly and calmly. She didn't know why he had been so protective. She quickly glanced at him, but he was looking up at the sky. After a few moments of silence she spoke again, "So I really looked that peaceful while I slept?"

He looked at her, and hesitated. After a few moments he finally spoke, "Yes, you did. You looked so serene, so at peace. I was envious of you. I know you find it strange that I am so protective of you, and to be honest, I don't blame you. But there is something about you that has given me a reason to enjoy life again. I understand you feel you owe me for what I have done, but it is I who should be thanking you." He looked away from her, feeling foolish and weak. Looking back up to her, he found his voice again, "You must think me a fool for feeling like this. And I would agree with you completely if you did. I kept telling myself that this was only for business. That this was a contract we were both under, and nothing more. I have been telling myself this the moment I laid eyes upon you." He looked away from her the moment the words left his lips.

Anira finished dressing the wound and sat there for a few moments of silence. She was confused. How could he, a changeling of such power who always seemed so heartless, be admitting that she gave him such feelings. Her own feelings were staring to go crazy, for she had started feeling the same way about him. Without speaking a word she stood, grabbed her bow and ran into the thicket before he could say anything. She wasn't running away, she had to think in the only environment that allowed her to clear her head. She ran for what seemed for like forever until she reached a clearing. She fell to her knees, breath ragged and heart pounding loudly in her ear. She was not paying attention to her surroundings, only to the scattered thoughts in her mind.

She sat in the clearing till the sun was high in the sky, realizing this, Anira stood having finally settled the wild thoughts in her mind. A smile had appeared on her features as she started her journey back to the camp sight. As soon as she reached the thick area of trees she felt very uneasy. Suddenly, without warning she was grabbed from behind by two separate sets of hands, causing her to drop her bow on the ground and a blade resting tightly against her throat. "We finally have you, little Elf. I think it's time you met with General Firenthius." Though she struggled, they had a tight grip on her. She was helpless as they carried her into the city, all she could do was hope Kresch would come for her.

It had been a good amount of time since Anira ran off. Kresch figured she needed her space and so he did not follow. But something didn't feel right. His senses were going crazy and his mind kept telling him something had happened to her. With this he rose to his feet, his wound almost healed at this point, and began to walk in the direction she ran. As he approached an area of thick trees, he stopped dead in his tracks. There, on the ground in front of him, lay her bow. Anger began to burn within him, and rage was building. He surveyed the area, and noticed tracks leading off towards the road. He knew this area, and he knew the road around here led to two locations; Serellia, and Derath. His rage continued to build, and his eyes began to glow. They had taken the one person he cared about that was not himself. The audacity of such an act!

Not thinking twice, he changed into his true form and sped towards the city.

The assassins slammed Anira down onto the cold floor of a cell, before slamming the iron door behind them. She began to cough violently for they had beaten her for a good while after having entered the dungeons. 'For their fallen brothers and sisters,' they had claimed as they kicked and punched her repeatedly. She pushed herself into a sitting position against a wall trying to wipe the blood from her face, as well as trying to catch her breath. She felt fresh tears falling freely down her bruised cheeks and she tried to wipe them away. Not too long after being thrown into the cell, she heard lone footsteps approaching. She knew was coming, someone she had only hoped to see again at the end of her blade begging for mercy. The light behind the iron door was blinding, as the door slowly opened. There he stood, towering over her already beaten body, eyes piercing into hers, a cruel smile spread across his lips. "Well, well, well, it's been a long time little Elf. The last time I saw you, you had managed to escape my grasp by biting me. Rather hard I might add. I think it's time I returned the favor and return the favor fr your little companion killing all of my men."

"You will die by my hands Firenthius. You will pay for killing my father." Anira growled, knowing full well she was in no position to threaten him. He laughed darkly, grabbed a fist full of her hair and started dragging her out of the cell. Though she kicked and struggled, he over powered his and strapped her to two iron wrist clamps that were attached to the ground in the middle of the room. She tried to free herself as the General walked away to retrieve something. Realizing she was struggling to no avail. Suddenly she heard the crack of a whip then the severe and brutal pain coursing through out her back. She screamed loudly as the he whipped into her back for what seemed like an eternity. Finally he stopped, just as her voice grew hoarse from screaming. His laughed echoed off the dungeon walls as he approached her broken and bleeding body. She had collapsed onto the ground from the pain. He bent down to look her in the face,

"Believe me beautiful, this is not over. When your little friend gets here to 'save' you, we'll have him join you. Then I will kill him right before your eyes, just like your father."

"NO!" Anira tried to push herself up but Firenthius kicked her swiftly in the rib. He laughed loudly and darkly as he left the room, slamming the dungeon door behind him, leaving Anira alone, bleeding and sobbing on the floor.

It didn't take long for Kresch to arrive near the city. He landed in a thick underbrush just outside the gates and reverted back into his familiar form. He casually walked past the guardsmen and made his way to the dungeons. As he approached, he noticed guards surrounding the area. He casually walked away from the area, and changed into a guardsman without anyone noticing. With this change in place, he walked straight passed the guards and into the dungeons. As he was walking through the corridors he stopped a fellow guardsman and asked where the Elf was taken. The guard questioned him, to which he replied, "I have been sent to find out the status of this prisoner. Directly from you-know-who." With this, the guard nodded, and pointed Kresch in the direction of Anira's holding area.

Walking at a brisk pace, he found her room. He opened the door and walked in. There she sat, battered, beaten, and broken, on the floor. She was sobbing uncontrollably. There was no one else present in the room aside from the two of them. He did not revert back to normal form. He walked up to her as she continued to sob. As he got close, she tried to get away from him, but she could go no where. He got right next to her ear and said, "Fear not, my lady. I am here."