Anira and Kresch

Anira stood, without speaking a word, and walked past him. Kresch followed her quietly, knowing she as upset with him. They climbed through the tunnel they had used to enter the prison and found their horses still waiting for them. Anira mounted Anna and rode off without waiting for him. Once she had reached the abandoned shack, she ran inside and began pacing back and forth, still trying to understand what had just happened. She should have felt a sense of accomplishment, she had killed her father's murderer. Yet she felt even emptier now than she had before. Kresch held the answers she sought and she wasn't going to him go any further without him explaining everything.

Kresch had made it back to the shack a few minutes after her. He did a quick survey of the area and then hesitated. He did not understand why she was so upset with him, due to he was going to give her the answers to all her questions either way. "She has no idea what fate has in store for her..."

With a long, drawn out sigh, he headed into the shack.

Anira did not hesitate to start asking questions as soon as Kresch had entered the shack, "What did Firenthius mean when he said the Queen thought my father had killed me?! What is this all about Kresch? Why didn't you tell me any of this sooner?" Tears we're threatening to fall. She felt betrayed, he could have told her all of this much sooner and she might have been able to understand. He had been keeping the truth from her.

"I will tell you," He paused to touch her face, "I will tell you everything. You were meant to take over this Empire. The Queen, however, was not about to relinquish her power to you. Firenthius was told this because he was easily manipulated. Your father did nothing wrong, and he died for it. You were stripped of everything. The day I met you, I knew who you were and I knew what you would become. Throughout our adventures I grew feelings for you. I didn't tell you of your fate because I wanted you to exact your revenge. I felt that if you knew what you were to become, you would not have trusted me. But the Queen, you cannot kill her alone. You will need my help, she is, how should I put this... She is not who she seems. If you are to become what fate intended, she cannot live."

He never moved his eyes from her.

"What if I don't want to to take over?! You should have asked me!" Of course it was just her emotions talking. She was planning of stripping the Queen of everything she had ever obtained. The Queen had caused her father's dead and it was going to be avenged. Sighing she tore her eyes from Kresch and sat down on the bed. "What else are you hiding from me? I've started falling for you but now I feel as if I can not trust you again. I need to know everything. If what you told me was everything, then thank you." She said quietly, finally bringing her eyes back to his.

"I do have a few more things to tell you. The Queen. When I say she's not what she seems, I mean she is like me. She is everyone, and she is no one in particular. Though she has the ability to change, she is not of my race. If you noticed, one of the guardsmen fell to his knees when he saw my form. Those of my race are worshiped in this world. We are not demons, we are of a different walk of life. We are a race of Angel. We are evil, but that doesn't mean we can't do good. By evil, I mean we do not follow order. We are ambitious, and we do everything we can to accomplish our goals. So now you know what I am. And I hope that this doesn't change your opinion of me, my lady."

Kresch had never told anyone his secret. For him to tell her this, it showed the trust he had for her. After a few moments, she finally spoke to him.

"I don't know what to think." She whispered. She wanted to run again but she knew by now the Queen's royal guards would probably be searching for them soon. She sat there in silence for a few more moments, completely avoiding his gaze. She understood that he had told her something that he must have not told anyone before. Sighing, she brought her gaze up to his, "I'm sorry, I'm being selfish. Honestly, this does not change my opinion of you. I understand a little more about you." Standing up she crossed the room so they were face to face once again. She softly kissed his cheek, "So how do we defeat her?"

"Before I tell you my plans, I must know something, my lady. What do you think of me? Do I frighten you? Do I comfort you? I'm sorry. I wanted to know for my own sanity." Kresch turned from her, and stared at the ground. His eyes started to glow, and he quickly stopped himself from changing. He didn't want to speak to her in his true form because he didn't want to frighten her. She was delicate to him, and he wouldn't be able to live with himself if something happened to her. He turned back to her now, and she was still looking at him. He waited for her response, and she finally gave it.

She pondered for a few moments before speaking. "You make me feel as if I am safe when I am with you. You also fuel me to do better. I feel like you are the reason I strive to go forth and kill my enemies with such vigor. The reason is because you have saved me so many times and I wish to prove to you that I am no mere weakling. That I am worthy to fight by your side." She tore her eyes from his for a second, thinking deeply about what she was about to say next. As she spoke, her eyes rose to meet his once more.

"I also realize that you are dangerous, and I realize that you could kill me in the blink of an eye. Yet in my heart, I know you won't. In the beginning, you frightened me to my soul, I feared to look upon you believing if I did you would hurt me, I feared to speak to you for if I were to displease you I would suffer. Now I look at you and realize that you are someone who I can trust. You care for me, in your own strange way, just as I care for you. You were a monster in my eyes, but now you are a man who fights for what he cares for." She smiled gently, "A man I care for."

Happiness ran wild within Kresch. He wanted to hold her in his arms and never let go. But he remembered they had business to attend to. So with these thoughts in mind, he returned her words with a genuine smile and said, "I know things, my lady. I know many things. This common enemy we share, the Queen, I know how we can deal with her. As I said before, she is like me in that she can change her form at will. This is, as you well know, a very dangerous circumstance. She must not know where we are when we arrive, she must be caught off guard. I am positive she has someone who can get close to her. So this is the first thing we need to figure out." Kresch felt very proud of his answer.

He waited for her reply.

Anira's smile grew as he spoke. "I understand, so we have to watch the Queen's every move, every person he comes in contact with on a daily basis. I think we can do that. I am a good scouter so I could follower her without being noticed." She offered proudly. "We can do this! We can defeat her." She added, suddenly overtaken with happiness. Unfortunately her scars stared to sting making her wince. She looked down at her arms, and though they were healed, the scars still looked very new. Her smiled slowly disappeared as she looked down upon them. She brought her eyes back up to meet his, "We are going to make her pay."

Kresch nodded, and after a few seconds he spoke, "She should be easy to watch. I have dispatched every guard in the city. The only ones that are unfortunate enough to still be alive are going to be her personal guardsmen. I am estimating around fifty or so. You should have no problem. I know you have been wanting to prove yourself to me. You have nothing to prove to me, my lady. But if this is what you want, then this is your chance. We will strike when she is most vulnerable. For now, we shall scope out the Queen's weakness."

The next day, they would begin their conquest of the city or Derath.

She smiled once again, this time nodding in agreement. "I do need to prove myself. You are a powerful warrior. I need to prove my mettle in battle to show I am strong enough to fight beside you. I am no weakling, and I intend to show you how much I am not." He nodded, knowing full well he would not be able to change her mind on the matter. They had begun to work hard into the night, plotting, planning and figuring out how they were to go about their plan. Half way through her scars started to sting even worse, causing her to grimace from the pain.

Noticing this, Kresch cast his gaze upon her. He walked up to her and looked right into her eyes. "That looks painful. It seems as if this would be a distraction to you while you are trying to prove yourself to me. If you would like, I can take care of the pain that burdens you so. I will do nothing more, unless you ask it of me."

Anira did not wish for the scars themselves to be gone. They motivated her, drove her to kill. Pain surged through out her body once more causing her to tear up slightly. Sighing she look him in the eyes and said quietly, "Please just remove the pain. I wish to keep these scars as a reminder of those who caused me so much pain." She said, determination and fire burning behind her eyes.

Kresch nodded, and took her hands into his and began to change back into his true form. His eyes began to glow, and shortly after he closed them. What came next shocked her. Kresch's whole body began to glow the same misty-blue that his eyes did. After a minute or so, he started to resonate with a blue aura. Waves of blue flew throughout the shack. They danced all over until they finally settled. It was as if time itself had ceased. Seconds after this, the aura began to focus, and it flew into Anira.

This process took a lot out of him, and he nearly collapsed. Moments passed, and he was finally able to regain his composure. He hadn't noticed her hands were still in his.

Anira sat there, completely mesmerized by what she had just witness. The pain was now gone, she felt as if it had never existed. She finally noticed that Kresch suddenly looked very tired. Leaving her left had in his, she placed her right hand gently on his cheek. She smiled, "Thank you so much. You really have done so much for me." Their eyes met for a few moments. Anira felt as if time had stopped once again and all she could see was him. Heat began to build within her cheeks causing her to avert her gaze for a few seconds. Her eyes met his again and she smiled shyly. Leaning in, she gently kissed his forehead and then helped him to his feet. "I think it's time we go to bed. You need to rest and regain your strength." She started helping towards his bed.

"Thank you, my lady. I may have done much for you, but you have done so much more for me." After these words left him, he began to collapse. She hushed him gently, and helped him into his bed. As he lay, he gazed up at her, and their eyes met. With his last ounce of energy, he reached up and gently touched her face. The familiar smirk weakly spread across his lips and his eyes started to glow. He slowly closed his eyes, and while this happened he changed back into his human form. She held his hand and gently kissed his forehead once more.

After a few more moments, she retired to her bed and drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

The next morning, Anira rose to the sound of birds chirping outside. She yawned and stood, stretching out her sore muscles. Looking around the small shack, her eyes landed on Kresch, who seemed to peacefully sleeping. Anira quietly laughed to herself, she had never seen him sleep so late, let alone look peaceful while doing so. She decided to go outside and start a fire, to cook the rest of the game she had caught the few days prior. Walking towards the door, she paused by Kresch's bed and smiled down at him. Leaning down she placed a soft kiss upon his forehead once more and continued outside, into the bright sunlight.

It was not long until Kresch awoke from his slumber. He had been dreaming of her the whole night. As he awoke, he smelled the meat cooking outside. His stomach started to rumble, and so he got out of bed, stretched, and clothed himself before going outside to greet her. "Good afternoon, my lady." He said as he approached her. She smiled at him, "You slept late. I've ever seen you sleep so late." "Yes. You're right. But you see, I was having pleasant dreams and so I slept longer." She didn't stop smiling at him, she couldn't, he had that effect on her.

"After we eat, we will head out." Anira said frankly. Kresch looked up at her while she was eating, a piece of meat stuck out from his mouth. With a mouth full of food he said, "As you wish, my lady." She started to laugh. The smirk found its way across his face once again.

Once they had finished their meal, Anira stood, and headed back into the shack to ready herself for travel. Kresch finished and headed in shortly after. Once they had finished preparing, Anira began to head for the door. As she approached the threshold, she felt something tug on her arm. She stopped dead in her tracks and turned around. Kresch had her hand. She looked into his eyes as he pulled her close to him.