Unfortunatly for Victarion. It seemed that the two little bodyguards decided to retreat. Most likely on Ace's orders. They disappeared, most likely with the same trick that caused the invisiblity bubble.

Listening to the three people on the other side of the past squabble. As two of them talked, Victarion dropped down behind them. "Now now. I wouldn't say that her diplomatic words were that much of a aid to their retreat. Afterall, I did to talk to Ace himself. Hidden in a Invisibility shield. Neat trick." He turned his head left to right. As if trying to stretch his neck.

"It seems he is mortal. If his nature to back himself against a wall is to tell anything." He sighed, before looking towards Darius. "Now why would someone who can't be seen order an attack on you? Unless of course..."

@Neobullseye @Effort @Majem

"I'll do the same" Zito replied, finishing pilling up the papers in her area and heading out the door as Shireen did. she saw the dog start after Shireen and chuckled before hurrying in the direction she thought Darius had gone. she wasn't totally sure where he'd gone but she tried her best, listening for any kinda of disturbance in the surrounding area as she was sure that's where Darius had gone.

after wandering for a bit she found him, standing around with a couple others "Darius!" she hurried over "Is everything alright? you tore out of there pretty quickly" she looked up at the other two, she recognized one from the meeting earlier, but she didn't think she recognized the other. at that moment someone jumped down and landed beside them and started talking. she got quite confused by his statement.

"Uh, I'm afraid I have no idea what's going on, would anyone care to explain to me?" she asked, kindly.

@Majem @Neobullseye @Effort

Darius had been ready to defend himself further, another amorphous glob of water floating close by his hand, ready to launch in attack or use as a shield. Tickling his ear however was Victarion's voice, he focused more of his attention on the raging Cloak in front of him. This fella had a real bad temper... It seemed though they were departing, not all that surprising. Cloak seemed a little disappointed, glaring at him as they began to turn away. Darius didn't break eye contact if his mother taught him anything, it was you don't turn your back on your enemy. As much as he wanted to capitalize on this opening, if he didn't have the immediate support of the people around him the surprise would be wasted.

Once they seemingly disappeared, people started asking him questions, but he simply dashed forward. His ears were perked up, his nostrils were flaring, his eyes were wide, and his hands were out. Moving around a bit, similar in fashion to a blind man, he could detect traces of their magic, yet nothing strong enough to follow. Instead of finding them he commanded the liquid in the green goo he had produced to disperse and found something else which made him think of something his father told him.

Walking back to the group of people he found they were looking at him as if expecting something... Which he remembered what it was they were waiting for. "The reason being I saw through Ace's stealth zone" he began, tucking a handful of feathers into his pocket "It was poorly constructed in the first place. I saw the human, Ace I assume, kill a man and turn him to ash. It was..." Darius suppressed a shudder "disturbing." As Darius started walking toward his lab he noticed Zito there. "Oh hello. Ah, well, Ace sent his guards after me when he noticed me notice him kill a man and instantly turned his body into ash. With a whiff of magic, poof!" Darius cleared his throat and collected his thoughts. Continuing to address the others that had gathered around as well. "It seems Ace is indeed in contact with some other worldly forces. Witnessing such proof has convinced me of the necessary course of action. I have many things to pack and matters to put in order before leaving tomorrow morning, or the soonest possible moment. I'll be sending word to the Priestess shortly" pausing for a moment, Darius realized why the sudden demand of the priestess to leave was so sudden. She already predicted they would have to leave so soon. "Which she already probably knows. That being said, I'm off. Zito young lady, thank you for your help, you and your salty sea sailor friend are welcome any time." Giving the young lady a stiff nod, he turned around and began walking to his lab.

Right hand turning and rotating adagio with the wrist, his fingers bent and twisted allegro with each other. Sweeping his arm up the spell flew, composed as a mockingbird, flitting away.

Last edited by a moderator:
As the day concluded, the dog that was previously with Shireen had wandered off somewhere on her own. She prowled around the town for a bit, seemingly looking for something… until a small rock flew out of nowhere and hit her in the face. The dog snarled and looked around, and soon noticed Cloak standing on a rooftop above her. "Now this is just pathetic." Cloak said tauntingly. "An entity such as yourself, parading around in the form of a lowly dog, and doing… what, exactly? Making friends with some humans and barking at Ace every once in a while?"

The dog snarled angrily at Cloak. Cloak didn't seem to mind. "You know, I guess I should be afraid of you, but it's hard to feel intimidated when you're so clearly afraid of breaking the rules — limiting yourself to such a weak form just to avoid stepping on anyone's toes. Or is that supposed to be a disguise? If it is, then, you need to think up a better one. Anyone with half a brain knows that that's you."

Her anger rising, the dog jumped at the side of the building that Cloak was standing on, clawing furiously at it.

"Ha! Looks like you don't even have the nerve to show me the brunt of your anger and put me in my place, even though I probably deserve it." Cloak jeered, hopping from one rooftop to the next. The dog, of course, followed after him. "Honestly, seeing you bring yourself down to such a pitiful state? It's pathetic." he added, hopping across a few more rooftops as the dog continued to chase after him.

Having thoroughly captured her attention, Cloak kept up the insults long enough to lead the canine beyond the outskirts of town. She continued to chase him past some flat stretches of farmland, and towards a slightly wooded area…

-

That night, Corvus stayed at the Atvance Temple, where the priestess told him about Ace, and that he was one of the people chosen to travel to Tarocchi to stop him from carrying out his plans. She also told him about the lab that blew up yesterday, and that the party would be gathering there tomorrow morning.

-

Late that night, Ace cautiously approached Raymond's home, accompanied by Dagger. He was on the lookout for a certain someone who had tried to interrupt his dinner plans once before. But, if all was going according to plan, that someone should still be distracted right about now…

-

Around that same time, Darius attempted to use Cloak's feathers to set up a remote sensory spell. If Darius had ever used Avian feathers for such a purpose before, he would notice that the artifacts behaved rather abnormally. The spell was executed at least somewhat successfully, but it was unstable. The 'signal' that Darius received continuously faded in and out, and was often distorted, making it difficult to make sense of the sights and sounds that came through.

-

Meanwhile, past the outskirts of town, a certain Avian was being chased by a very angry wolf. Cloak led his pursuer into the woods, flying nimbly between the tree branches. The wolf leapt up at him with her claws outstretched, but Cloak always kept himself just barely beyond her reach. Eventually, the wolf began to slow down, her tiredness showing as she looked about ready to give up the chase.

"Aw, is that all?" Cloak jeered from a tree branch above her. "Are you really going to give up that easily?"

The wolf glared at Cloak, growling as if she was about to try jumping at him again — and then, in a burst of rage, her body grew to a massive size, forcing trees to bend and break as her much larger body shoved them out of the way.

"Shit, I think I went too far." Cloak muttered, fearfully turning to get away from the beast. He leapt from his place in the tree as the wolf swung at it with an oversized paw, knocking down several branches. "This was not the plan!" he exclaimed as he flew away, the enraged wolf still on his tail.

-

At this point, the sensory signal from Darius's spell began to rapidly deteriorate, until the spell stopped working completely. If anything remained of the feathers that were used for the spell, they quickly disintegrated.

-

In a clearing, on the opposite side of the forest past the edge of town, Ace and Dagger stood in front of what would at first appear to be a large bonfire. But any onlooker could easily see that this was no ordinary fire, as it flickered in bright, chaotic hues of green, purple, blue, pink — and really any other color besides red, orange, or yellow. Ace tossed a folded piece of paper into the fire, and began to recite a spell.

As that was happening, Cloak landed frantically next to Dagger and Ace, struggling to catch his breath as the oversized wolf followed behind him — but the wolf's footsteps slowed as she caught sight of Ace and the oddly-colored fire.

Ace gave a satisfied grin. "That's right. You know you're not supposed to be here." he said. "If I were you, I'd leave before I embarrass myself." he sneered. "Oh, and maybe it would be wise of you to change into something a bit less conspicuous while you're at it."

The wolf gave a low growl, but grudgingly backed off, shrinking down in size as she turned around and walked away.

"I hope you're grateful for everything I do for you." Cloak hissed at Ace after the wolf was out of sight. "She could've killed me!" he added, brushing the dirt off of his clothes.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic." Ace replied calmly. "Death would only be a minor setback for you."

Ace plucked a hair from his own head and dropped it into the fire, as well. At that moment, the fames seemed to sink to the ground — flattening and widening out until the previously tall flame had transformed into a flat circle made of blazing earth. The rapidly-alternating colors then blended into each other and darkened into a deep, solid indigo. "Ace? Why are you contacting me?" A deep, low voice asked, emanating from the fire. "Is everything alright? Did something go wrong?"

"Did something go wrong? Ugh, where do I even begin?!" Ace exclaimed. "The Avian twins made a fool of me today! Both Dagger's spells and Cloak's combat abilities were almost completely ineffective against a bunch of ordinary, mortal humans and Avians." Cloak and Dagger looked at each other awkwardly, then kept their gaze pointed at the ground. "One human saw me eating, as if there was no invisibility spell around me at all, and he got away because Cloak couldn't even catch him. That man is now a witness to what happened." Ace ranted, stomping his foot on the ground. "The whole thing was a disaster! I thought you said these were your best men!" Ace snapped.

"I didn't say they were my best men…" the voice from the pit replied. "But, I would expect them to do better than this. I've worked with them since before you were born; I know what they're capable of and what their limitations are. And what you just described sounds very much unlike them."

"Well, that's what happened!" Ace exclaimed. "And I need bodyguards who can do better than this! I'm still mortal, you know — the Avian who saw me was armed. And he had me cornered. If he didn't decide to let me off the hook, he could've killed me!" The twins raised their eyebrows in silent skepticism, glancing at each other in shared acknowledgement that Ace's story was a bit embellished. But they knew better than to interrupt him at a time like this. "I want to see these two both reforged!" Ace demanded. Cloak and Dagger both tensed up at the very mention of the word.

"I don't think that will be necessary…" the voice replied. Cloak and Dagger both let out a sigh of relief. "Besides, reforging them could take quite a while, and what are you supposed to do without them for all that time?" he asked.

"Weeeell… you could always send some replacements in the meantime~" Ace cooed.

"I'd prefer not to." the voice deadpanned. "It sounds to me, that today's events were just a fluke. And I don't expect the same problems to come up again. Speaking of which, I assume whatever method of cloaking that they're using to hide you right now is more sophisticated than the apparently lackluster spell they attempted earlier today?

"Yes, sir." Dagger jumped in, stepping closer to the fire. "The spell that I used earlier today was a relatively basic, crude spell — meant to hide Ace for only a moment. I only used it because Ace needed an invisibility spell right then and there, and there wasn't time to set up anything more sophisticated on short notice." Dagger explained, seizing the opportunity to present his side of the story. "And even the basic spell worked adequately on all the other mortals in the area. The real trouble came when one specific human was apparently unaffected by it, and could easily see Ace through the invisibility barrier. I detected some magical abnormalities about him, so the most likely explanation is that he enhanced his senses somehow, allowing him to see what would ordinarily be hidden. As for the Avian, he also couldn't see Ace until he stepped inside the invisibility bubble, himself. And for the brief amount of time we were using it, it seemed reasonable to assume that no one would wander inside."

"And on the subject!" Cloak jumped in. "You were never in any real danger with that blue-feathered Avian." he told Ace. "If that guy did attack you, I could've been over there in a heartbeat, and he wouldn't have been able to lay a finger on you."

"Oh really? Because, at around the same time that Avian discovered me, I do believe you lost a fight against a mortal human and some glue." Ace deadpanned.

"I was caught off-guard!" Cloak shot back. "And I dodged the glue the second time he threw it. I totally could've killed that guy if you didn't call us both off."

"Ok, I've heard enough." the voice from the pit interrupted. "I see you've all learned from your mistakes today, and I don't think you'll repeat them in the future. You should all be fine from here on out. And since Atvance is a small town, I doubt that the few glimpses anyone caught of you will lead to much trouble." he told Ace. "Now put this fire out and get going. You and the rest of your party should be on the road again before dawn."

- - -

Victarion's morning prowling was interrupted by the sound of a dog barking behind him. Were he to turn around, he would see a white dog standing on a nearby rooftop, looking at him attentively. Once she had Victarion's attention, she barked a few more times, then started to walk away, pausing every few steps to turn around and see if the Avian was following.

-

Clay awoke with a start as a rather painful weight dropped onto his chest. As he came to his senses, he found what appeared to be… a sack of coins?? There was a note attached, too — but Clay gave it only a passing glance before digging into the plain-looking pouch to see if its contents were actually what he thought they were. Sure enough, the pouch was filled with coins — gold coins, specifically. Astonished, he dumped them out onto his bed and began to count them… only for his eyes to drift towards the note again. Did Tawny get all this money, somehow? Sure, Tawny had probably noticed that they were a bit tight on funds, and maybe even starting to get a bit desperate — but he grew very worried at the thought of the kind of trouble that Tawny had to have gotten into in order to find this kind of money…

Clay opened the note, and was relieved to see that the handwriting wasn't Tawny's. But that only made him all the more curious as to who did write the note, especially since it was addressed to him — never mind the fact that it apparently materialized in his bedroom just now. The note read:

Clay Woodwick,

I know that you were feeling hesitant to leave Atvance despite what the priestess told you yesterday, and I know one reason for that is the cost. Even though you'd be traveling with a party of others who could help share the cost, I can see that you wouldn't have much money to contribute, yourself. So, I thought I'd offer some help. This money should be enough to provide for yourself and probably several others in the party, as well. And now that you have the money, there's really no reason for you to stay here — I know that you're jobless currently, so there's not much for you to gain in staying here.

Once you and Tawny have gathered everything you want to bring with you, head to the lab you visited yesterday, and you'll find the rest of the party there.

And remember, you're doing something important for all of Altera. I want you to be proud of that.

And most mysteriously of all, it was unsigned.

Clay was nearly trembling. He had never been a particularly spiritual man, and perhaps that's why the "quest from the gods" didn't seem so urgent, so real. He couldn't quite wrap his head around the idea that the gods had taken interest in his life specifically, much less that they wanted him to leave his life behind and go on some special mission. But this… this was real. He really was being tasked with some sort of divine mission. Although, the thought briefly crossed his mind that he could just stay in Atvance and use the money to live a comfortable life here — but he shook his head and quickly tried to forget that idea. If this money truly came from a god then it would probably be a bad idea to take advantage of their generosity.

He hurriedly ran to Tawny's room to tell her about all this.

-

Also that morning, the priestess was walking towards the lab when she noticed Kiri wandering around the town. "Ah, good morning!" she greeted, waving to her. "I was just on my way to the laboratory to see everyone else off. They should be gathering there right about now." she explained. "Will you be joining them?"

-

Clay walked hurriedly towards the lab, his cloak looking a lot lumpier than usual as his inner pockets were stuffed with many of his belongings. He certainly didn't like walking around with this much stuff on him — it practically screamed "I have valuables! Rob me!" — but he wanted to make it to the lab as soon as possible, and he didn't have time to think of a more elegant solution.

Tawny followed behind Clay, breaking intermittently into a jog as she struggled to keep up with her brother's long strides. She supposed she should be grateful that Clay changed his mind about going on this journey, but she was still a bit surprised by his sudden change in attitude — as well as the sense of urgency that Clay seemed to be giving the situation.

Clay approached Darius's lab and knocked on the door. "I'm here." he stated after the door was opened. Then he leaned into the doorway and, as if he was about to share a dangerous secret, he added in a hushed tone, "And I have money."

It had dawned on him the next morning that Darius never actually explained why he could see through the invisibility shield. Victarion sighed, missing small things like that annoyed him.

This place was boring, if you took away Ace and his band of idiots. It was just a calm small town. And their roofs were quite hard on his back. Perhaps he would send in a letter of complaint. He chuckled at the thought.

What soon caught his attention however was the sound of a dog barking. Turning his head, he spotted the white dog on the rooftop across from him. His head fell to the side. He unfortunatly did not speak canine, but he could gather that the dog wanted his attention. Perhaps it wanted to show him something. An intelligent dog if so. With the things he had seen lately, he wondered if this was perhaps a trap.

Then again, if it was. They picked the wrong person to snare.

As he quickly his made his way to the dog. The curious question on how the Dog even got up here was another thing. Still, that was most likely some broken gutter or vines on a wall.

Landing next to the dog, Victarion hummed. A soft sombre tune.

"Well, I wonder what it is you think worthy of my attention? Or perhaps you're kind enough to be my breakfast?" He flashed a toothy smile. "I jest, creature." He hummed some more. "Dog doesn't taste that good anyway."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
Conflicted would be the best word to describe Corvus' mood at the moment. He had come to Atvance for an answer to whether or not what he was doing was the right thing, but being chosen for a mission like this seemed a bit excessive. Who knows, though. Maybe he was chosen for this because of his powers and how they might aid the party, not to atone for using them. Perhaps it would teach him humility and strength of character not to use them for evil. Either way, he did not expect to be leaving so soon.
His worry did not keep him awake, as the temple had been the most comfortable place he had slept ever since he left Iblea and spent his nights underneath the stars. What he had heard from Darius, combined with what the priestess told him about Ace and the fact he hadn't even seen the man, plagued his dreams with a demonic figure consuming souls throughout the land.

That morning, Corvus decided to wear his black plague doctor mask to express the fears he held for Ace, his life and the world, but also for his doubt in his importance in all this. They were still in town, once the party was on their way he might take it off. He'd have to join with the others he hadn't met before first, and luckily the priestess was kind enough to accompany him to this laboratory where everyone would meet.
Along the way, the priestess stopped to greet someone who could be part of this quest. He smiled underneath his mask and waved to the little girl, but remained silent.

The sun hadn't yet begun to light the sky and Darius was lying awake in his bed. Sleep was an elusive concept for Darius most nights, this past night even more so. His lab was going to need maintenance while he was away, which was simple enough really, it was the samples and reagents he had collected over his time in Atvance that were at risk. The spell he had in place would make sure pests and the like wouldn't get to them, so that wasn't necessarily the problem... It was that otherworldly stench that wafted through his thoughts, of whatever it was that Ace was conjuring, it was so foul that his other senses had been assailed. Never had he smelled, felt even, something so wrong. It angered him, that someone would have the audacity to bring such a force into this realm, not understanding it bothered him more. Anger born from fear, he felt it as he began his morning.

How were they supposed to stop a force they new nothing about? Was the question that plagued him as he gathered the last bits of equipment he would be bringing. Books and notes took a portion of his load, as well as a few apparatus and assortment of strange items. Paranoia caused him to pack a few more magical implements than were probably necessary, while he was on the thought he lowered one of his warding spells he had put up for the night, wouldn't be a nice welcome for the party. But he did leave up one, just so he knew what type of people were approaching, made it a little safer for him to open the door.

Speaking of guests there seemed to be one approaching, the ward around his lab pinged his brain and he opened the waiting sensory spell and observed two of the Terrans from yesterday approaching. Walking to the door, he opened it just as he was done knocking. His lab was much neater and put together and less sooty, different from yesterday. Darius himself was much better groomed as well.

Clay was acting slightly conspicuously "So you are. Come on in." Either this guy wasn't used to having money or...oh shit he must have a lot. Sweet gods above this guy was a walking target! "That, how do you..." his nostrils flared briefly and his ears twitched. Reaching out he jangled one of Clay's pockets, and began to whisper hoarsely, despite being the only ones in here "Is that all GOLD? You're going to get mugged walking around like that!" Did these two Terrans scrape their life saving together or what?

(Collab with @Turtle of the Tired )

Calder woke feeling fully rested before dawn had begun to even peek over the horizon. He hadn't allowed the issues with Ace to impede on his sleep; in fact, Calder couldn't remember a time he had slept so good. Not since he was training daily, anyway.

With a yawn and a stretch, Calder rose, and filled the tub with water he'd had brought up the night before. Sleeping on land always had a tendency to dry him out, and bath was simply to help his scales keep from getting itchy and drying out. During his morning soak, the thought occurred to him that he would need to keep a decent amount of water on him at all times. He'd never experienced truly drying out, but from the things he'd heard he knew that he wouldn't enjoy it.

After a while, he got dressed and went down the stairs. After a fierce haggling session the innkeeper gave him treated sack in which Calder could carry his bath. And that he did. It wasn't quite big enough to wear as a knapsack, but it was bigger than a waterskin, and that was good enough for him. He packed up as much water as he could feasibly carry, loaded his lined pockets with bread, sold the rest of his wares to the innkeeper (minus the cost of the bag, of course) and set out for the morning. The only thing now was to wait for his companion. Shireen should have been close by that point.

"Hey there, Calder!" Shireen was soon in sight, hurrying over to where she saw the now familiar looking Aquan.

Her night sleep hadn't been too disrupted. While she was aware that Ace was probably more dastardly than he seemed at first, the fact was that she was oh so close to leaving Atvance behind and heading on to what she hoped were bigger and better things. Her dreams revolved around such things. She couldn't remember what exactly, but she had woken up refreshed and with a good feeling in her heart. Things were getting better.

She had already told the people she lived with that she would be leaving in the morning, and had thereafter packed up her few belongings the night before so that she wouldn't have to go bumbling about when she woke up. Backpack slung over her shoulder and sword at her waist, she had set off for the inn.

She grinned as she stopped before him. "G'mornin'! How're you doin' this lovely day?"

He smiled and gave her a small wave. "Couldn't be better actually." There was something about his voice that hadn't been there before. He was eager, almost excited to get this journey underway. "And yourself? It looks like it's going to be a marvelous day to travel." He hoisted his bags, and slung them over his shoulder. "Are we ready to go then?"

"Aye, I'm packed an' ready." She shrugged her shoulder up and down so that her backpack jostled a little. "It ain't too far away. I'm hoping the others are headed that was as well." She started walking in the direction she had come from the previous day, taking note of the familiar buildings so that she didn't end up leading them to some third accidental destination. "Well, I'm guessin' even if we do end up late or lost, someone'll come find us, maybe the priestess… Ah! But don't worry none! I've got the way all trapped up in here." She tapped her temple with a finger and chuckled. Calder grinned, and nodded, keeping pace at her side.

As she walked, she looked around, wondering if she'd see that dog from the night before. "I wonder where that dog's gone off to," she thought aloud. "T'was kinda nice havin' her tag along." She shrugged once more before looking Calder's way. "It'll be dry further on while we travel through the main lands. How're you gonna be with that?"

He made a face, but shrugged his shoulders. "I'm hoping that I can keep enough water on me to combat the dryness," he explained. "But, still… I'm not entirely comfortable traveling so far from the water." A shiver ran through his body at the thought. "Nonetheless, I think I'll be okay."

Looking around, there was still a considerable amount of debris on the ground from the day before. The black material that had made its way into his lungs was still on the ground, though the patches sparse and few between. "We've got to be getting close, no?"

"Mhm." Shireen nodded and paused, looking over to the recognizable laboratory, and then the two Terrans at the door. "Those two were there yesterday… erm, can't remember their names just now.. Ah." She nodded toward Darius. "That's the fellow whose lab it is… looks like others had the same idea to come here then! That's a relief." She grinned once more as she strode forward, calling out a greeting to all three there. "Morning, y'all!"​

@Turtle of the Tired
@Kagayours
@Effort

As Darius greeted the two Terrans, Tawny noticed Shireen — whom she recognized from yesterday — approaching the building, apparently accompanied by an Aquan. Tawny waved back at them as Shireen said hello, and she waiting for them in the doorway.

As Clay started to walk inside, Darius apparently noticed how much gold he was carrying. And even though Darius was whispering, Clay still tensed up as the human brought attention to all the valuables he was carrying. "Shhh!" he snapped, pulling Tawny inside and frantically closing the door behind him. "Don't you think I know that!" he whispered back.

Tawny felt a bit weird about having the door be slammed shut when she knew that one of the other party members was already practically on Darius's doorstep. But she didn't want to interrupt Clay, so she quietly snuck back over to the door and opened it back up a crack, waving at Shireen again and gesturing that it was ok for her to come in.

Meanwhile, the dog continued to lead Victarion a short distance across the town, until eventually she became distracted by something on the ground below. The dog let out a single bark as a heads-up, and then, without hesitation, she jumped off the roof — and landed effortlessly next to Shireen and Calder, without any signs of injury. She greeted Shireen affectionately, but soon returned her attention to the Avian above her, still waiting for him to follow.

• Love
Reactions: Effort and Greenie
There were more people approaching. If it were Darius' money he'd make it known to the party, but it wasn't his. Regardless if people in the party could be trusted or not, it would be better if the all this money wasn't readily visible to prying eyes. Hopping over to the table nearby, covered in trinkets and doodads and strange jars, he grabbed one of the bags he had been using for packing.

It was an unassuming thing, but any craftsman or discerning eye could tell that care was put into it's creation, with several outside pockets and one large central compartment. Adjusting the shoulder straps in the buckles to the maximum for Clay's torso, he placed the bag on the table and directed him to it "If you wish for discretion you may use this. It's magic and increases storage space for it's contents, the weight will be only slightly negated. You can use it for the journey, just don't touch my implements."

Darius was momentarily distracted by a bark from outside and the sound of paws and claws on roof tiles, leaving out the part where the majority of the space was taken up by his implements, but there should be enough space for the money. But eh, Clay may figure that out soon enough. Walking to the door he opened it a bit more and peered over Tawny outside, recognizing Shireen but not the Aquan, or the dog, that was barking up. He assumed it was one of the folks that had been roof hopping the other day. Darius wondered though how many people he hadn't met yet were supposed to be part of the fated party.

Strangers in his lab made him nervous. The dog seemed okay though, even if it was a bit more bright eyed than others. Calling out to the others he said "Wipe your feet before coming in!" Turning back he left Tawny at the door, going to the kitchen to set out the last of his perishables to briefly host the gathering party.

The dog seemed to content to lead him for a while. Before seeming to get distracted by some figures. Victarion had to mutter to himself as the dog dropped down from the roof without any bother. It was an increasing possibility that this dog had some magical nature to it.

Following his thought, Victarion continued to follow the dog down to the ground without much effort himself. Looking to see what the dog was doing, he came to see the girl that he had the rought memory of seeing the day before. Along with another person.

"I do hope you didn't want to show me an Aquan and a girl with a speech impediment." He uttered outloud. In fact, looking past the two strangers. He noticed the labatory. Looking back at the dog, he hoped that he wasn't about to be roped back to this boring place.

"Keep going then..."

After speaking with Darius and co. a bit more, Alicia went off to do what she had wanted to do quite a while back; put the rest of her messages on the mail. The first few letters just told the recipient to put the inner letter on the mail along with a fee for doing so, but the final letter was a lot more detailed and in-depth.

To the recipient.
Your mission is one of reconnaiscance; you are to find out anything you can about Ace Dominyx and the twin Avians Cloak and Dagger who are accompanying him, Though these names are likely forged, I have reason to assume that they have been using them for a long while. That said, they might have been using different names in the past; as such, a description of their appearance has been included.
In addition, Thalia Cowley, Rolland Stoker, Larkin Donnell and Derrick Joffe have been seen in their vicinity. Though their identitiies are already known to me, I want to know when they have joined Ace and what their motives are.

Do note that stealth is of the utmost importance; avoid direct contact with the targets, and avert discovery at all costs. If you fear the target or his clique is on to you, do not contact me. Instead, you are to abort your mission immediately. Failure is an option; discovery is not.

If you find anything out, no matter how trivial it might seem to you, you are to send it to the post office in Iblea by priority mail until otherwise notified. You will file the recipient as "Sarah Plume".
I recognize that this will likely be a long, dangerous and expensive mission. As such, a premium sum of gold has been included along with this package. Furthermore, completion of the mission shall be further rewarded.

Signed,

S.

After sending the letters, she went back to her private room at one of the local inns.

---

The next day, Alicia went back to Darius' laboratory. By the time she had arrived, it had become quite crowded already, including several humans, a handful of Terrans, the Avians she had run into yesterday and even an Aquan. Curiously, there was not a single Pyran in sight, even though there were far more demi-humans gathered here than was average for such a small town. Was there not a single Pyran amongst those chosen by the Gods, then? Was an entire race eschewed by the Divines? Or would they simply be met later on in their quest?
...Well, she was hardly one to judge the wills and decisions of the Gods, Alicia shrugged as she approached the front door, at which point her progress was halted by two Terrans standing right in the middle of the doorway, one of which was obviously holding quite a lot of money. The guy's attempts to cover it up only made it more obvious that yes, whatever he was holding was very valuable. Alicia couldn't help but roll her eyes. Had they never learned that the best way to hide something like that was to be casual about it? Nobody would even bother to steal the purse of a common villager, unless like this guy said villager made it blatantly obvious that he was loaded.
"You might want to-," she started, only to have the door slammed shut in her face, leaving the Avian standing outside with one hand in the air. "...try acting more relaxed," she finished her sentence anyway, then knocked on the door. It didn't take long for the door to be opened once more, at which point Darius invited the rest of the group in too. Presumably he had taken the private time to give the walking mugging practice doll a slightly less conspicuous place to hide his money -- Alicia just hoped that this would get the guy's nerves to calm a bit too, mostly for his own sake.

Last edited:
Shireen was a little surprised when she saw the dog once more, a little perturbed that she had come just come from nowhere; she hadn't been paying attention anywhere but the door to Darius' laboratory, so she hadn't realized that the dog had actually jumped down from the roof.

"Ahoy there!" she said with a grin, patting the dog's head for a bit, rather thrilled that she recognized her. She then followed the dog's gaze and looked up at the Avian, who it seemed was following her. She blinked at the comment of her speech before chuckling, shaking her head, deciding it wasn't worth the effort to reply.

"I'mma go in," she said to Calder. There was another Avian there, who she smiled at before heading inside (after making sure her boots were clean, of course!) and moving to the side, not wishing to get in anyone's way.​

Glancing at Shireen he raised an finned eyebrow, "You sure we're in the right place," he joked but she confirmed it by going into the lab. Calder, on the other hand, simply moved out of the middle of the street to a building and leaned against a wall. If people were going to behave with the manners of animals while animals were seemingly behaving with the mannerisms of humanoids then perhaps he would stay outside with the dog.

Crossing his arms, he sighed and waited.

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
Zito had gone home that night and went straight to bed, trying to think of what she'd tell her parents, and what she thought her parents might say. she didn't like the situation and she had a bad feeling about everything but when morning came and she sat her parents down to talk they insisted she leave. that if the whole world was at stake then she had to go. she couldn't just not go after that so her mother very quickly packed her food and travel rations while her father helped her get her hunting equipment together, and then they saw her off.

the only place she could really think to go would be the lab, that's where they'd all met up yesterday so it was as good a place as any to start. so she quickly went through the city until she saw Darius lab, just in time to see other people entering. so she must be in the right place.

she strode forward and entered the door behind the most recent group. she smiled warmly at Shireen "It's nice to see you again, I suppose we shall be seeing much more of each other from now on. how has morning gone so far?"

@Greenie (and everyone else whose in the lab)

"A-ah, yes, thank you…" Clay replied, a bit awkwardly, as Darius offered his bag to him. Clay felt a bit odd accepting gifts from just about anyone in any context — but if they were all party members then he supposed it made sense that they should all share their resources.

After Shireen went inside the lab, the dog turned her attention to Calder and Victarion, as if waiting for them to do something. When she saw Calder and Victarion standing and waiting outside, she walked towards the doorway. Then she turned towards the two of them again, still looking at them expectantly.

Around this time, the priestess made her way to the lab, accompanied by Corvus. "Ah, you two!" the priestess chirped as she saw Calder and Victarion. "Why are you waiting out here? Please, come in and join the others!" She then walked inside, gesturing for Corvus, Victarion, and Calder to follow her. And as everyone's gaze turned towards the door once again, they might notice that the dog had apparently disappeared again in the short span of time that their attention was elsewhere.

"These are the other chosen travelers that I told you about last night." the priestess said to Corvus as she led him inside. "Darius, I believe you met Corvus yesterday?" she asked. "Although he wasn't here when I first informed you all of your quest, I do believe he is meant to be part of it, as well." she informed.

"As for myself, I came here to give you this map," she said, pulling a folded-up sheet of paper out of her sleeve. "Tarocchi is quite a long distance from here. It would make sense to stop at other large cities along the way, and the closest of these cities is Iblea." She then unfolded the map and gave it to Darius. The map contained Atvance in one corner and Iblea in the opposite corner, with two lines — representing two different suggested routes — traveling across the map. The shorter of these lines was the more direct route to Iblea, but it cut across the dry, desert-like land that stood between the two cities. The second route went around this difficult terrain, making it the longer of the two paths, but likely the more pleasant one to travel.

"I'm no navigator, but these seem to be the two best routes that I'm aware of." she told them. "The library in Iblea will probably be much more helpful to you in planning out the rest of your journey."

"If you have everything you need, then I would recommend you leave as soon as possible. Ace already left this town quite some time ago." she informed.

"Good luck, travelers." she said as she walked towards the door. "And may the protection of Corvenus be with you."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie
The travelers — sans Victarion — walked along a well-worn dirt road, lined with fields of tall grass on each side, and a few short trees dotting the surrounding landscape. The Avian had refused to go along with the 'quest' — and, strangely, the priestess didn't seem to be too bothered by this. She didn't even try to convince him to change his mind…

As the group walked, Tawny looked ahead and spotted a fox with dark red fur sleeping beneath a nearby tree. As the travelers approached, the fox awoke and scurried off into the tall grass. "Soooo how exactly do we get to Iblea from here?" she then asked. "Do we just… keep walking in a straight line?"

"Well, sort of." Clay answered, looking down at the map that the priestess had given them. "It looks like we just have to follow the path that we're already on. Eventually we'll come to a fork in the road where we should go left, but other than that, it looks like we won't be turning onto any intersecting roads."

Before long, the party could see a well up ahead, where a covered wagon led by two horses had stopped. An older-looking human man appeared to be re-filling jugs of water.

Walter M. Garret wasn't much one for the heat. There had been a time when he loved nothing more than singing flame and the protection it offered, a warm embrace in an otherwise cold world. Now was not that time.

He released a hand from the carriage's reigns, letting the twin horses trot along the dirt path, and lifted the top hat from his long hair. The sun's presence had desisted to let through an overcast sky but its warmth yet lingered. Too much for an old man like him; at least for one in layers. Forty years, that was how long Walter had committed to fashioning himself up like those aristocrats. It certainly beat flea-bitten rags; though, perhaps not in the airy department.

Walter set his black hat atop the crisp folded white coat and sea-green scarf to the side of his seat bench while keeping his one eye on the horses' gait, a needless concern. The harnessed animals were well-seasoned travelers, gently weaving through mounds or other such occasional hazards to keep their carriage steady unbidden. It was easy to see why their owner had been so keen to not give them up.

The carriage was another story – or, rather, the 'wagon.' Stagecoaches in Omviway, as most things within the city, were a status simple to display one's wealth to another in passing. It was a constant competition of who could show off the most. Luxurious though the transports were, there was a fine line between comfort and impractical vanity. Yet the latter wasn't an entirely unwelcome prospect at the moment, whatever offered cushioned seating. No no, old boy. Best not to give in now, eh? A ratty transport is best for the long haul. Keep a stiff upper lip! After all, it isn't about you.

His cane tremored and bounced as the frictous carriage wheels rolled along the dirt. Brown glove gripping the L-shaped handle, Walter brought the metal shaft over his shoulder and tapped the thick cloth curtaining the wagon's bed. "How are you enjoying the country air, young miss?"

The scraping of wood sounded from behind as the bonnet's curtain flushed outward, un-nestled by the puppet protruding from within to the right of Walter's head. It was a childish thing, moreso in its construction than nature; simple arms with circles for hands and head, a mop of brown hair roguishly parted right-wise over an eyepatch adjacent a small black bead for its right eye. The puppet's red scarf swishing each time the hand within articulated its mouth. It sounded like a breathy girl attempting a romanticized pirate's accent.

"Ya-harr, Mister Garret! Tis nuffin to the pirate lord," said the puppeteer'd pirate lord. "How be your, um, ye-self? … Yarr!"

Walter's wide, groomed mustache twitched as the corners of his mouth curled upwards. "More than content to crack on, sun or no."

"Aye!" The puppet was made to crawl atop Walter's shoulder, resting on the shoulder of his plum waistcoat, as a bare skinned forearm tremored through the cloth. The Pirate Lord slapped its cotton eyepatch, then poked Walter's cheek right below his own dark patch, obscured by his white hair. "We be kin, treasure booty-seeking souls who-"

The puppet curled into a feeble grip on Walter's shoulder, wet hacking coughs came from within the wagon.

His heart skipped a beat, left eye wincing as his glove gripped the slender hand within the toy. "Spiramen paleas. Focus the air, Dust. Focus."

Walter's grip drew tighter as the ragged coughing fit continued, until a sound like funnel-drawn air replaced the hacking. Slow, deep breaths sounded in place of the violent fit. "Dust?"

The curtain was peeled back and half of the form of an older girl came through, abdomen slumped over the seat's plank backrest. Her drab hooded scarf was drawn, face-down over near his coat and top hat. Her scrawny, frail arms – shaded in the netted, mesh trailing from mid forearms to around her upper torso – dangling, the puppet limp in her right hand. "Mister Garret," she said in her normal, low voice. "Are we almost there? At… Ibum? Iblem… Islebim."

"Iblea?"

"Yes, Iblea. It seems so far away. I, I'm not sure I can-"

"Now, now, young miss. I'll have you know my navigational prowess is unparalleled! Do you doubt me?"

"Ah." A cough. "No. Of course not, Mister Garret."

Further along the dirt road, a traveler's rest point was erected up ahead – just a simple water-well and wall-less hut, little more than a plank roof hoisted by four columns. Walter searched their surroundings, billowy grass at wheel height with sparse trees further out; though he looked more with his ears and nose than his sight. It was vital to train each sense rather than to rely on sight alone, doubly so if one was one-eyed. Even so, Walter sensed little more than prairie animals wondering the grass.

Hmmm. We certainly are a distance from Omviway, Walter thought. Iblea should be close. Then again, I had thought such days ago, as well… It's time to be honest with yourself, Walter. You have no idea where you are.

Oh posh! I've been heading South-East by the Sun, I couldn't have missed it. Still… I'd thought that days ago also. Curse it all.

He turned to Dust who was having her scarfed puppet dance atop his hat, and said, "I'll be back in but a moment. I think its high time we replenished our water, eh?"

Dust looked up from her toy, pale skin and orange bangs just visible beneath her hood. "Can I-" Cough "-leave the wagon? I'll stay close by, I promise."

"Hmmm. But if you're out playing, who's to help this wizened, old man with the water?" He asked, grinning.

"Mister Garret…"

"Yes, yes. Of course. Be off with you!"

Dust smiled under the hood as she slid back through the curtain, the sound of wood scraping and pounding until Walter heard her exit the wagon. Meanwhile, he hopped from the seat, boot's crushing into the crisp dirt, and walked around back. Hoisting the water jugs, half empty though they were, might have been quite the proposition for a standard gentleman of his age. Which is why he took pride in how little effort it was to remove both urns from the wagon bed. Though returning them upon being filled might be a different story.

As Walter brought the first jug around to the well, he caught Dust waist-deep in the grass beside a short tree. She was levitating a fallen leaf through a stream of air from her palms. Aside from a few token animals nearby, the plains remained unpopulated.

Content the girl was fine, Walter set about to retrieving the water pail from within the cobblestone pit. The carriage horses were well enough on their own, content to wait on their new master. The horses could tell where they were, likely have gone through this exact road a number of times. If only he could ask them for directions. Perhaps it had been a mistake to only take the wagon and horses after all. A guide wouldn't have been half bad right about then; though having to keep him from Dust was a separate matter. No matter. This is our present situation, that's all there is to it. Still… something to consider once upon Iblea, hm?

The map had shown Iblea City was nigh exactly South-East from Omviway, and their current travel should have nestled them squarely within the city by now. Granted, they had come from a village south of Omviway prior, but such would hardly have caused worthwhile concern. This was certainly quite the pickle.

At long last, the journey had begun, and Shireen had a warm smile on her face when they left Darius' laboratory and headed out on their gods driven mission. It was different, travelling the land with no large water source in sight. It wasn't uncomfortable for her, but she could only imagine how it may have been for the group's resident Aquan. Hopefully they wouldn't be going through anywhere too dry, even if he did have a backpack full of water.

"What a cute fox," she commented when the came by the canine by the tree. She was slightly disappointed when it ran off, though not at all surprised, seeing the size of their group, and how big they were in comparison to the little critter. It had been the first time she'd seen a fox, having only heard of them in tales or seeing them in paintings.

Her attention wavered and she listened in on the brother and sister. The route seemed simple enough; unlike the sea, there were actual roads and landmarks here that they could make use of. For her part, she kept quiet, occasionally talking to the others, though admiring her surroundings took most of her attention. Occasionally she would pick wildflowers growing on the side of the road, and as it were, a few found their way weaved into her hair.

"Hm..." Her eyes narrowed slightly when she saw the wagon in the road. "I wonder if someone needs help...?" She didn't know how her companions would take to stopping in aid of a stranger... but in Shireen's mind, what was the point of heading off on some great mission when one couldn't help a person right before them? Well, if nothing else, they could always rest for a few moments.

"Ahoy there!" she called. Her sharp eyes had caught sight of what she deemed was an older fellow. Quickening her step, she headed toward the well, waving a hand so that she was noticeable. "Need some help there, sir?"​

@An Otaku

Reactions: An Otaku
After a bit more talking and preparation, the whole group was on their way. Well, the whole group minus one, that is; for some reason Victarion had decided to abandon them just before they left on their journey. Honestly, Alicia did not like that at all, for it meant that now there was someone that knew all of their identities, but who was not traveling along with them? What if he got caught? What if, Apollo forbid it, he joined up with Ace? It was, for all intents and purposes, an unacceptable risk. ...And yet, she had no choice to accept it, however begrudgingly. That said, Alicia had no idea why the priestess was so acceptant towards Victarion's denial of their divine mission. She propably knew something that Alicia did not, yet another thing that the Avian did not like in the slightest. What else was the priestess hiding from them? Well, Alicia would just have to look into that too. That had to wait until later though, right now, she had to stay focused on the dangers more nearby.

Some time later, the group reached a well near the road, with a horse-and-wagon parked close by to it. From what Alicia could see, only an old man getting water was nearby; she couldn't seem to see anyone else. She frowned. An old man, travelling all alone? No, that didn't make sense; why use a wagon with two horses when you could just ride a single horse? There more than likely was someone inside the wagon. But that raised the question of why the person inside the wagon was making an old man get water instead of doing it himself, like a decent man would do. There were only a few explanations that Alicia could think of: The person or people inside the wagon were above such menial tasks, unable to do it themselves, or... Or all of this could be a trap to lure in unsuspecting travelers. Have an old man pretend to be busy getting water, wait for a nice, lone and foolishly trusting traveler to help him, then have the group of thieves jump out of the wagon and rob him of everything he's got -- which may or may not include his life. It was a possibility she could not ignore, and one with such a high risk factor that it might be for the best to just move on. After all, if there were not any thieves around, well, it looked like the old man was taking care of himself just fine.

...And of course Shireen decided to do the exact opposite thing. Dammit, Shireen. Why can't you just keep your mouth shut and talk things over before just jumping to action? Ah well, it could not be helped now, and she was taught that one should always make the best of their opportunities rather than complain about the past. If there were bandits in that wagon, hopefully they would be scared off by the group's numbers. And if not, well... Just for the sake of safety, Alicia kept her eye closely on the wagon, ready to blast it as soon as someone would jump out without warning.