• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
With their back to the sun, the hooded figure looked up to the sky. A sweet, hummed melody escaping their mouth and carried off into the slight breeze. Smiling, Zaul looked away from the sky and turned his gazed towards the ground, scanning the earth for anything that might be useful to he monastery's healer. As he did so, he turned on the spot, using a hand to protect his red eyes from the sun once he was facing it and the other held on to his staff. Well, it wasn't much of a staff, more of a light brown stick that had split at the top where he rested the basket of herbs already collected. "I think that would do for today," Zaul murmured to himself as he surveyed the land one last time. He had already trekked hallway to the desert, it would take most of the day to make it back to the monastery.

***​

Sateria groaned, rubbing her shoulder with the opposite hand and squinting into the distance. She had been following the same road for an hour or so now but could not see the group she had followed out of town. Thoughts crossed her mind, such as 'maybe they took a different route' or 'maybe they went off the path' but the faint prints in the dirt road kept her walking the path. Sighing, she hoisted her bag, which had previously been dragging in the dirt as she massaged her shoulder, back over her shoulder and picked up the pace. She had seen Aquans in their midst, so surely that hadn't gotten too far. The few she had met weren't too fond of walking, so naturally she assumed the same of the group. Finally she noticed a small group in the distance and once again she picked up her pace, hoping to keep them in sight without being noticed. A feat that she probably overestimated her ability to achieve.

Reactions: An Otaku
Clay remained wary of the old man as the conversation between him and Alicia continued — and then, Calder suggested that they all have lunch together. Clay was more surprised by the suggestion than anything else, and even more surprised that everyone else was so eager to go along with it. Was it really necessary for them to share a meal with every stranger they came across? Furthermore, did they even have enough food for a party of — Clay paused for a moment to count heads — nine people? Ten if you count the stranger who may-or-may-not be hiding in the grass somewhere as Darius implied. Clay had certainly left Atvance with plenty of money for food, but they hadn't encountered many vendors since they left home, and he figured they wouldn't be seeing any until they got closer to Iblea. Clay was used to skipping meals and figured he could tolerate a few more hours of hunger, but apparently the rest of the group thought differently.

"How much food do we have on us?" Clay asked the group as they all settled down for lunch. "I brought some vegetables from my garden back home, but there isn't enough to feed a large group like this. Not without exhausting my supply right away." Clay wanted to at least make sure he had enough food to keep Tawny satisfied if she became hungry during long journeys like these. Clay himself was content going most of the day without food if need be, but he didn't want his sister to starve.

As the group settled down, Clay noticed another newcomer on the road who also seemed to be headed in the same direction as them — a Pyran… woman? Hard to tell from such a distance. In any case, Clay only hoped that the more extroverted members of the party didn't plan on inviting yet another stranger to lunch, too.

As Zaul stopped to rest, a small group of travelers approached from the distance. At the front of the group was the well-dressed Ace, and following behind him were three humans -- a medium-height man with dark tanned skin, black hair, and a muscular build; a taller but skinnier man with pale skin and light brown hair; and a short young woman of medium weight with long, dark brown hair and sharp blue eyes. All three of them were carrying heavy-looking backpacks.

"Ah, you there, young Terran!"
Ace called out as he approached. "You look like you're familiar with the area -- this is the road that leads to Iblea, correct?" he asked. He was already pretty confident in his navigational abilities -- especially with the edge of the city already being visible in the distance -- but hey, it worked as a conversation-starter. "And, if you don't mind me asking..." he continued. "What are you doing out here, harvesting wild plants?" he asked, gesturing towards Zaul's basket. "Would it not be more sustainable to grow them in your own garden?" Ace was hoping for an answer such as "I don't have a garden" or "I don't have anywhere to start a garden", or even that he didn't have anywhere to go home to at all. Ace's team was one member short, after all, and Ace was in the market for a replacement -- and the poor and homeless often made for easy targets.

Whilst the others chatted, Shireen had decided she'd take this time to drink some water as well. It was never a bad idea to keep oneself hydrated after all. She also filled up one of her empty water canteen; to anyone else it would have seemed as if she was in her own world, not really paying attention to the rest by the well. That wasn't true, however. She certainly heard the old man mentioning they were heading to Iblea, and she also heard the invitation to lunch.

She personally wasn't sure she wished to eat at the moment, but maybe if could bring forth some bonding between the fellow travellers? Shireen had spent her whole life in close quarters with people, and she knew quite well that if they were going to spend a lot of time together, they needed to build up trust with one another as well as find something other than Ace to keep them on a common ground.

Perhaps food was the way, after all?

She followed Darius and the others, settling down as she pulled her backpack off. She looked over at Clay when he asked he spoke; that was a good question, in fact. On the ship, food was always rationed unless they were at port. Unexpected delays were ironically expected, and eating only a little per day was better than eating nothing for many.

"I got some food on me," she said as she looked in her backpack. "Mostly... dried stuff, stuff that ain't gonna go bad fast." She grinned a little as she pulled out a small cloth bag filled with raisins. "The house where I stayed, the owners gave me some nice stuff. Raisins, some dried fish, some nuts... Hm..." Should she mention rationing their food or would that make her seems stingy and bossy?​

@Kagayours

"Perhaps I waked further than I thought..." Zaul muttered to himself, leaning back against a small boulder and staring at the city edge. Which also meant he wasn't paying attention as the group drew near and the initial shout had caused the young Terran to jump and almost drop the herbs. "Oh! Uh, yes, it is indeed," he replied, standing and turning towards the group. The initial shock was enough to distract the boy from the oddness of the question and he smiled at them, ready to talk and give directions if needed. "Oh, wild herbs tend to be more effective in medicine and some of these can't be grown in domestic gardens." He bowed slightly, palms together "And what brings you to Iblea, if you don't mind my asking. Perhaps I can help?"

There had been a time when Walter had prided himself on being "street smart." Knowing how to survive independently, how to take advantage of others without being taken advantage of himself. It was a brutal, spartan life. That had all changed on his becoming, of all things, a butler. Suddenly Walter was expected to discard rags for restrictive formal apparel, bathe regularly even when he wasn't coated in sick or soot. He'd learned the intricacies of fine dining, far beyond his usual roasted rat, as well. How to greet others respectably, to train himself to actually smile at people. Walter had evolved from gutter urchin to formal aristocracy. And through it all, he had not once bothered to learn the difference between horses breeds.

A waste of time, young Walter had thought.

Neobullseye said:
Apparently he did 'hear' her final question, though he purposefully misunderstood it, instead going on to 'introduce' his horses to them. "I see," Alicia nodded, not believing a word of what the guy was saying, but knowing better than to make this obvious to him. She sensed that the guy was annoyed enough as it was already; no need to tick him off even more. "Nice names. They look healthy too. What breed are these, if I might ask?," she attempted some small-talk. It was obvious the man was hiding something and trying to send signals to someone nearby; with a bit of luck, she could figure out who and where said other party was. Of course, this did require the man to talk some more...

The bird still seemed keen on her interrogation, perhaps she had even picked up on the fact horses Belfry and Charles were, in fact, not his own. Though in all honesty, they may as well belong to Walter now given the particular state of being their owner prior was now in.

Curiously enough, there did seem to be a change in aura about the Avian. A shift from readied aggression to… well, still aggressive really, but more akin to skepticism over preparation for mortal combat. All the same, Walter had no intention of dropping the act of doddering.

"Dear me, madam, you are too kind," Walter said, rotating his right hand into flourishing in lieu of a proper bow. What with his oh, so aching back and all. "Truly, these handsome steeds are the greatest of breeds, no matter their humble origins. Why, I say, sometimes it feels like they're the ones taking care of me! Whoa-ho-ho!" Hm, thinking on it, there's quite a bit of truth to that statement, eh? Walter thought. Quite, quite.

Turtle Knight said:
Continuing his approach Calder waved off the thought of taking the man's hard won water and sent a trail of his magic down into the well. Setting up his water bags, Calder opened them and waited. In less than minute the water was trailing out of the well and into the bags unaided.

"I appreciate the thought, but I think I can manage well enough," his voice was kind of raspy as he spoke, but it was nothing a nice cool drink wouldn't fix.

The bags were full in no time and Calder rerouted the stream, opening his mouth he took several long pulls of water from the air and then splashed about a bit, getting himself thoroughly wet in the process. It felt nice to have the water running over his skin again, but once he was done he dropped the magic and the water into the well.

Listening to the man, Calder realized they were heading the same way. They would be co-patriots on the road and likely to see each other over and over again. The fins on his brow ridge quirked and a small grin pulled up the corners of his mouth.

"Iblea, huh? What a coincidence, that's exactly where we're headed. I don't doubt we'd see each other on the road again. Why don't we take the time now to become acclimated to each others presence to alleviate future tensions." He chose his words carefully and with purpose, and his gaze flicked over to Alicia as he spoke. The couldn't just be going around antagonizing every person they met, especially people they were likely to encounter again. "It's nearly time for lunch, so what do you say we all have a seat and get to know each other before making some critical assumptions."

Walter turned his head to side and eyed the Aquan man sidelong. "Say chap, I do believe there's a mite of confusion in the air. I myself, you see, was travelling south-west to Iblea City along this very route." A cheeky grin curled underneath his long moustache. "My, my. Seems someone has gotten lost and walked right past it, hah-hah!"

Was Walter lost? Yes.

Did Walter know basic directions? Also yes.

As long as he were to keep travelling South-West, he would most certainly arrive in Iblea City. But alas, this poor fishman; could hardly even tell which way was North in his hotly de-liquified atmosphere. Really, perhaps the Aquan should have reconsidered Walter's offering of water. Then again, none of this said much for the Aquan's companions. He could hardly believe it. Six different people all coalescing toward the same wrong direction. Sheep mentality at its finest, Walter supposed.

And speaking of destinations, it was high time for him to get a move on and collect Dust. While this journeying party, in all honesty, seemed to be of the amicable sort -- well, perhaps not the most amicable, not all of them, but he no longer felt concerned over the score of their being a bandit group -- but Iblea would be just around the bend and he and Dust would be altogether safer in more urban environs.

When the Aquan mentioned lunch, Walter attempted to wave it. "Truly the offer is most appreciated, believe you me. But it's less a case of my willing, as it is-"

Majem said:
"We might happen across some plants that could make a soothing paste or tea until we make it to Iblea. But for now lunch sounds pleasant. Some rest and food might fix that ache right away." He continued, stashing the book away again. Then, true to his promise, Corvus approached the water containers and picked one up without any notable effort. "Now, where would you like this one? My name is Corvus Clemmons, by the way. Nice to meet you."

Tea.

Tea…

Walter gulped. Well, just a momentary respite wouldn't hurt- Ah, no you fool! Have you already forgotten Dust, you pitifully worthless caretaker?!

… To be fair. They don't appear hostile or anything of the sort, not really.

Ah yes. Quite, quite. You'll just be having tea on the roadside all pish posh while she remains secreted away in the brush! Truly, sir, your unfathomable brilliance pushes the boundaries of modern intellect to be sure! Augh, dimwitted oaf.

Walter refocused his attention to the corporeal world on the Crow-Giant speaking up once more. "Now where would you like this one?" He asked, handedly lifting the topped off jug of water as though it were no more than teddy bear. Why on Altera does my mind continue to proffer images of children's stuffed bears around this gent… "My name is Corvus Clemmons, by the way. Nice to meet you."

Walter needed a moment to pull himself together, far too many thoughts racing, not to mention this blasted heat. The air was still warm even despite his being under the well's shaded canopy. Talks of misdirection, a luncheon with strangers, tea. He almost forgot he'd been faking a back injury this whole time, and bit down on the impulse to return to an upright posture. Yet, funnily enough, his back actually was starting to ache from all this bending over.

"Ah… ahem. Yes. Quite, quite. Well, Mister Clemmons, just to the back of the wagon would be most appreciative! In fact, I-"

An Otaku said:
. . . Dust clenched her teeth tightly, left eye spasming, and raised her legs from their lowered position. Careful to keep from poking her head above the grass, Dust lowered her back and crept after the huntress. Her arms, outstretched for balance to keep Dust from kissing the dirt, kept getting caught in the long grass blades. She winced with every ruffle but kept on. The fleeting back of the huntress locked in her sight, as the girl stealthily blundered through the brush. For a moment, Dust thought she had heard something behind her but chalked it up to her own bumbling.

It occurred to Dust that she had no idea what to do if this huntress tried anything… dastardly. This thought was immediately replaced with a stifled yelp when a caught grass blade snared one of her hooves. And sent the hooded girl crashing into the back of the Terran woman.

A stabbing pain lept through his chest as the feeling of his heart slamming against his ribcage repeated in high frequency. Walter's shaky laughter masking genuine, physical pain as his spasming eye traced the sound of bumbling from within the brush's edge. There, sitting amid the grass and weed stalks, was a wide-eyed Dust. And in front of her was another Terran woman -- one hand firmly gripping Dust's arm, the other carrying a bow.

The woman's mouth was moving but all sound escaped Walter in that moment. There was only Dust, and the Terran holding her down, whispering something.

"Ah-ha-ha-ha!" His cracking, near silent voice losing further laughter while barely above the sound of a whisper. "So that's where you'd run off to...! Why, you were starting to worry your uncle there, young lady."

Blood was escaping one of Dust's clenched palms.

In a moment, his eye flashed all around to capture his precise location. Clemmons, Fishy, and the sword-belted woman were near enough to witness this scene within the brush yet seemed potentially unable to view Dust and the other from their positions. The others hanging back from the well may not have even heard the crash to begin with.

If worse came to worst, it would all rely on his ability to act swiftly.

Rising to a proper standing position with a groan, spine making all sorts of pops and clicks, he extended his right arm toward the pair within the grass. As the concealed chains underneath his sleeve primed for a rapid launch, to spear through the Terran huntress's vital organs, Walter had a peculiar out-of-body experience.

He could see himself leaning forward to the tall grass, stretching out an arm as if to help someone whom had fallen. Followed swiftly by a flurry of reeling chains shooting forth into the brush, and fire swelling into an explosive inferno back in the road's center.

It had been some time since he'd last taken a life. Perhaps he'd grown too old, as well. But he was not about to let this young girl be harmed. Though his chances of success were slim, Walter refused to let anyone here escape if even a single person was responsible for wounding Dust. But, for now, the old man simply stood there with an out-raised glove...

* * *​

AnimeLover_Princess said:
Zito had heard the girl's initial indecive moves and the slight sound of pain, but she paid her no mind, the girl must have hurt herself, and she was not Zito's problem right now. she kept moving, slowly and quietly. trying to keep stalk of her surroundings though there was now someone else tromping through the grass towards them as well.

she held back a sigh when she heard the girl following her. she was obviously trying to be stealthy but the girl sounded quite clumsy. she was still getting rather close though, and Zito considered putting on speed to get ahead of the girl again, and of course at that moment the girl yelped and slammed into her back. the terran woman threw out her hands to catch herself, and subsequently the girl and let out a frustrated noise, extricating herself from under the girl and turning on her "do you not understand the concept of stealth?" she let out a huff and looked at the girl "are you alright? did you hurt yourself?" she looked her over, could see a bit of blood on her hand "did you cut your hand? clumsy people should not attempt stealth, it rarely ends well." she glanced to the side, to try and get her bearings again, she could hear the conversation, as well as whoever was moving through the grass, which was likely some member of her party.

"Oof!" Dust yelped.

Her inward recoil at the promise of pain as she fell forward was left hanging as the fell never came. The huntress before her catching Dust while giving a disapproving stare with luminescent blue eyes that just as quickly changed to a look of concern. Then back again to disapproval.

When the woman asked about Dust's cut palm, Dust was taken aback with just how young the huntress looked. She hadn't noticed before, but. Were they the same age? Though almost as small as herself, the huntress was certainly far stronger given how easily she had steadied both of them.

The same age… I. I can't even walk right, but she… Dust's own icey blue eyes shimmered with tears that were quickly and effectively batted away, though she still cast her own gaze downward, unable to look at another face to face. Is-is she what I could've been? If I wasn't so, if I wasn't a…. If I wasn't me?

Realizing now wasn't the time nor the place for another pity party, Dust rose her head but kept her eyes lowered. "I'm ah, no. I'm fine…. But you can't. I, you can't just…" You can't just hide out here, weapon drawn, and expect me to stay away! Mister Garret is out there keeping me away from bandits. Or, well. Maybe they aren't bandits, but that doesn't matter. I won't let you hurt Mister Garret! That's what she wanted to say, but it was easier thought than said.

Instead, the girl awkwardly fumbled over her own tongue, repeating nonsensical words and phrases to the point even she had no idea what she was talking about. And then Dust almost jumped straight out of the grass.

The distinctive sound of Mister Garret chuckling. Though, there was a strangely lowered pitch to his voice that, for reasons she couldn't explain, almost made Dust's eyes tear up again. "So that's where you'd run off to...! Why, you were starting to worry your uncle there, young lady."

Just through the ends of the tall grass, Dust could just barely see the old man and a few others milling about. There was another male voice she didn't recognize, rough but young, inviting whoever was in the grass -- wait, is he talking about me? -- to lunch.

I have no idea what's even happening right now.

Garret seemed fine and there was even talk of a meal. Just the thought of food made her stomach growl, eliciting a frown from Dust. She and Mister Garret had eaten not two hours ago and she was already hungry again. The benefits of leading an anxiety-inducing life, she supposed meekly.

Deciding to respond to Garret's social cue, Dust spoke up. "Oh…. haha. I'm sorry." She blinked a few times trying to figure out what to say next, and went with just blurting out what was on her mind. "Um, so. I met a friend out here, and like. I don't. They, I don't think they're bandits?"

Dust felt like she had just committed the most atrocious of sins with that sentence and recoiled in on herself, arms folded, mouth pursued in a scared smile, and shaky eyes flicking between the ground and Mister Garret. "I mean, haha. What?"

With a simple nod, Corvus followed the order he'd been given, placing the jug into the wagon. It reminded him of his youth back at the farm, where he'd spend his days lifting hay with a pitchfork and depositing in a trough, helping cows give birth, riding horses. It wasn't an easy life, but it was a life that gave him an impressive physique. If he were to return now, it'd take some getting used to such hard labour again.

"Yes, Darius, of course. I'll be there in a second." Corvus said, walking over to the second jug and quickly putting it with the other. While hunger wasn't to be a concern anytime soon, looking at the jugs he was reminded that he'd certainly be needing some water soon. The well would do just fine.
As he followed Darius into the tall grass, he retrieved his book. "It goes well with my Corvenus homage, wouldn't you agree?" He noted. A smile was forming under his mask as he held the book aloft. A standard botany book. A few years old by now but it was still, in his opinion, a necessity every wanderer should have in case something happens and you're stuck in the woods for a few days, or if you find someone else who has been lost. Corvenus knows the doctor has come across a few grateful souls like that.

When the terran girl revealed herself from the grass, Corvus could do nothing but feel sympathy for the poor thing. Her halfbreed status was quite obvious and would explain some of the old man's secretive behaviour. There wasn't much he'd be able do for such a case, not even a real experienced doctor would, if they'd even dare approach one to ask for help. What a shame.

As Zaul explained his reasoning for harvesting wild plants, Ace grew slightly disappointed that his hypothesis was apparently incorrect. Not that it made much of a difference, he supposed, since someone as jumpy as this Terran wouldn't have been a very good fit for the team, anyway. Such personality traits certainly hadn't served Derrick very well, at least. Even so, Ace was pleasantly surprised to hear that the Terran was still so eager to help him. And he figured he had no reason to refuse such help.

"Well you see, Iblea is just one stop on my journey to Tarocchi."
he explained. "I don't quite have the funds to make the journey on my own, but I've received some generous donations from the previous towns I've visited that have helped get me this far." he told Zaul. "If you would be so kind as to donate, as well — even just a small amount — I would greatly appreciate it."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Zaul frowned at the mention of donations and shook his head. Why would one set out on a journey without the proper fund to survive? Even if they knew how to live off the land they weren't likely to find everything they needed when they needed it. And living off the land was much easier at home, where everything you needed was at your back door. "I'm sorry, friend," the terran replied, smiling again. "I don't have any money to donate."

Calder blinked in surprise as the man was clearly lost. He was headed away from Iblea according to their information and if that were the case he would not be seen again during their travels. Part of him considered this a boon and he considered just accepting the man's refusal of lunch and heading on their way, but the other part of him felt guilty for such thoughts. Calder didn't like the idea of leaving this man lost and alone…

...Or not alone. As he was thinking things through the sounds of people moving on the opposite side of the wagon caught his attention. Calder moved so that he could better see the situation, and was surprised to see a member of his own party back there. Had he been so focused on what was in front of him that he missed what was going on around him? It appeared he had. Mentally scolding himself for his lapse Calder took another step forward to get a better understanding of what was happening, but eventually decided to let it play out. It didn't look as though anything negative could come of it, after all.

Hearing Diana's outburst, Victarion didn't seem to physically initally react much. Except for his eyes narrowing slightly. Inside, Victarion didn't know whether to laugh or skewer the goddess with his sword. Of course, both were foolish and defintely lethal choices. But even he had temptations sometimes.

There's no difference.

All this power and there is no difference.

Funny.

He thought for a moment, "Oh well." Picking at his talons, Victarion's eye calmly raised up to the god. "I suppose it might be in my best interest to check this out. Though I will say, I'll be going solo. Even if I meet the other...group of," He paused, "Mere mortals" he didn't seem insulted by it, but said as if just repeating what she had told him. "See me as a scout I suppose"

So large in form, yet to Victarion. She had never looked smaller in his eye then now.

A line of thought shot through his mind. Infighting...Greater trouble. Souls...

Poor Gods, I'm beginning to think that you're a lot more simple then first laid out.

"So, What, anything special you want. Or shall I just head to Tarochi as fast as possible. Hang around there and try the strange cuisine? I assume you give me some great message, but...errors in communcations can happen of course. "

@Kagayours

While the man was talking with her traveling partners, Alicia pondered over his response to her question about the horses' breeds. Their breed was 'the greatest breeds of all'? What kind of answer was that? Either the man didn't want to reveal it, which didn't really make sense considering it was such an unimportant detail, or he couldn't reveal it by virtue of not knowing it himself. But what kind of man did not know the breed of his own horses? The kind that has gotten them in an ill-conceived fashion was an obvious option, which would confirm her suspicions about the man being up to no good. And yet... If he really was up to no good, why hadn't he acted at all yet? If anything, it seemed like the man just wanted to get away from them as soon as possible, feeling threatened by them instead of being a threat. Maybe he was just a common horse-thief instead of an actual bandit? ...No. A horse thief would just steal the horse, not an entire cabin. But then what was with all the secrecy though? Why would an honest man act like this? It just didn't make sense...

Alicia's circular thoughts about the man's motives and identity were interrupted when said man spotted what was going on in the field. Judging by his reaction, he was not amused by it at all, reaching out to the person in the high grass. So was that his partner? If that was the case... well, it sure didn't look nice at the moment, with Zito being so close to the man's partner while having a weapon out. It wasn't all that strange to draw the conclusion that Zito was out for blood. Now, of course, Alicia knew that this was not the case, but how could she possibly convey this message to the old man? It wasn't like he would just listen to her at this point...
Before Alicia could decide on a course of action, the other person already solved the problem for her, even saying that Zito was a friend. Thank Apollo... Hopefullly that would make the old man reluctant to strike, at least for long enough for the others to defuse the situation. "It's okay, you don't have to be scared," Alicia added to the conversation, smiling at the injured Terran. "Why don't you come and join us? We'll look at that injury too; we'll have to clean it before it gets infected."
So... the other person was a halfbreed. ...Of course. That was why the cabin was needed; the halfbreed woulfd never be able to travel normally, not to mention that a lot of people... didn't act all that kindly towards halfbreeds, to say the least. The most logical course of action was to provide a form of transport that was both comfortable and would provide shelter from staring eyes, and the cabin provided both. It also explained why the old man was so evasive in his answers; he had absolutely no idea how Alicia and the others would have reacted to the idea of a halfblood. Well, quite frankly, they had bigger things to worry about than social prejudices, at least as far as Alicia cared.

"...It seems I owe you an apology," Alicia turned towards the old man, making a small reverence to both prove herself vulnerable and to further imply her good intent. "I promise you,we mean no ill intent to you or your comrade. Sadly, we have been through some strife recently, leading to my lack of trust. My name is Alicia. Please forgive me my crude behaviour."

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Zito was surprised for a second by the emotions that went through Dust's face before she hid it. was the girl hurt worse then she thought? Honestly, she shouldn't have been going through the brush at all if she was that fragile! the terran woman kept her hand on the girl's arm, steadying her so she wouldn't fall again. then Dust seemed to strengthen her resolve and brought her head back up, though she still looked away, an odd act from Zito's perspective.

Zito could see the girl was struggling with her words but she'd been steadied and she didn't appear to hurt so the terran waited, patiently, while Dust tried to find the words she was looking for. Of course at that moment their position was revealed by an older gentlman, the man her party had decided to speak to, leaning over and reaching for the girl, saying "So that's where you'd run off to...! Why, you were starting to worry your uncle there, young lady.".
Zito could see the danger in his eyes but could also see that it was directed at her and not the girl. it wasn't the first time someone had looked at her like that, and she imagined the situation looked compromising. she was about to answer herself when Dust spoke up, calling her a friend of all things. Zito released the girl's arm, now that her companion was there, shifting slightly away form the girl. she heard Alicia speaking up as well, and mentaly thanked the girl, Zito was not in the mood to get murdered when their journey had just begun, she wasn't quite fond of the idea of getting murdered at all, in fact.

After Dust's clumsy attempt at dissolving the dissolving the tension, Zito herself spoke up "I didn't hurt the girl, if that's what you're worried about, she tripped and I was making sure she was alright" she still held the bow at her side, but loosely, it would be useless at such close range anyway, but she figured the act of bringing it up to put it away might appears as an attack to the man so she just left it where it was "and before you ask, I was in the brush for the same reason you were speaking so loudly before and questioning my companions, You were trying to discover our intentions, I was trying to discover yours" she felt no need to hide her intentions she honestly hadn't intended to attack as long as they were not attacked, and the man did not appear to be attacking (yet) so she would not attack first.

@An Otaku @Neobullseye (everyone else)

Diana was pleased to see Victarion's apparent change in attitude. Her stance relaxed as she then continued to speak. "You could go straight to Tarocchi and be ready for Ace when he arrives there, but you may find yourself waiting there for quite a while." she told him. "Ace seems to be taking his time at each city he visits, and, as mentioned, I'm a bit more concerned about Ace's current activities than whatever it is that he plans to do at the capital."

"If you're taking on the role of my scout, then the first thing I want you to do is to catch up with Ace in Iblea. Keep an eye on him." she instructed. "As for what to do next — that will become more apparent once you're there." she told him. "But I'll be keeping in contact with you, in case you ever need another gentle nudge in the right direction…"

"Now then," she concluded. "Is there anything else you need before you set off?"

Nearly falling over as he trudged through the grass, Darius had found there was a slight slope coming away from the road, which would have made hiding much easier. Reaching one of the sparse trees that happened to grow close to the road, he removed the pack from his back and pulled out a thick blanket and spread it out over the tall grass. It was a quality product, thick enough to prevent plants from poking through, but light enough for easy travel. Clay at this point inquired to the group about food on hand and some of the others had chimed in.

Corvus had made his way over, he seemed a decent fellow and all the more so for his interest in plants! Darius lowered his hood as he received the book from the large man, peering at him through dark lenses. "It's the spitting image, very well done" he said, pushing down the scarf-like cloth covering the lower half of his face to smile from within the hood of his cloak. "I was thinking that we could look for some edible plants or some game if there was a need..."

The hairs on the back of his neck prickled. Through the normal commotion that graced Darius' ears, the tone of the older gentleman's voice and the subtle clinking of metal were what stood out. The heat of travel had not yet caused Darius to perspire, until this moment. He did his best to hide his alarm, maybe not so difficult to do with his cloak and dark glasses as he turned some of his attention more toward the road.

Spying the old man with his arm raised in what seemed, to his eyes, could be the preparations of a spell pointing toward Zito and...what appeared at first to be another Terran. It made more sense now, that he would be so sketchy. Maybe not as sketchy, but Darius could understand wanting to protect someone like Dust. Even so there may yet be more their situation.

No one else had reacted so tensely, maybe he just had spellcasting on the brain... Alicia began to apologize which likely would dissolve more of the tension, Zito seemed to have been helping the girl along but and proclaimed her intentions directly, Calder was near by just paying attention with Tawny doing much the same. Much closer, Shireen had some raisins, mmm he could taste them on the air, Corvus seemed concerned for the timid girl, and Clay was...was...

After making eye contact with Clay and then with Shireen, Darius suddenly remembered what he had been saying before. "Ah yes! I believe some edible plants from Corvus' book" Darius gave Corvus's book a thump "Would be hereabouts, as well as some rabbits or perhaps a few large birds." Having studied ecosystems, was looking forward to exploring this one. Except, if they were going to gather edibles they would need to know who would all be eating...

Raising a gloved hand Darius attempted to politely interject the discussion at the road. "Excuse me, sorry to interrupt. We may be procuring additional edibles from the surrounding area to save on rations, if we're all agreeable." This last was mostly to check with the people near him, but also to see if people were ready to start throwing 'bows. "I'd like to feed the little one there with the interesting legwork, she looks hungry. Hullooo!" Maybe with some food people would be more at ease, it wouldn't do anyone any good to come along down the road with left over tension in the air.

@Everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
As she neared the group, Sateria slowed her walk in an attempt to not look suspicious to the group or threatening in any way. Walking up to them, she put on a smile, not particularly caring whether or not she had interrupted them with her introduction. "Hello all, I'm Sateria. What are you all doing on this fine day?" she inquired, scanning the area, though she was unable to see anyone amongst the grass.

"Thank you. I've worked quite hard to get it." Came Corvus' reply. He hadn't been thanked for his costume before, so the compliment had an increased impact on him. He didn't make the costume himself, no. His costume was completely store-bought, the masks he even bought both because he couldn't decide which one he liked better at first, but they had been cared for and repaired by him for seven years now. Ever since he left his home and lived in solitude and secrecy. These simple things were his family now, that was the choice he had made and the only life choice he'd accept.

But he couldn't revel in a compliment. There was a more important matter at hand, the matter of food. If they were to travel all the way to Tarocchi without any money, they'd have to hunt eventually and while this was his daily life, it likely wasn't for anybody else in this party. Simply take over a wild animals mind and he'd have a meal. An easy feat if there was just one mouth to feed, but to feed a group of eight would require more skilled hunting. Nevertheless, he could still help.

"I won't need to eat for a while, I have some reserves." He chuckled and gave his stomach a few pats. "But if we need to hunt, well. I'm quite good at taming wild animals as you recall I had a handful when we first met, though those were more for practice rather than consumption."

(Ghostwritten by @Effort)

Zaul frowned at the mention of donations and shook his head. Why would one set out on a journey without the proper fund to survive? Even if they knew how to live off the land they weren't likely to find everything they needed when they needed it. And living off the land was much easier at home, where everything you needed was at your back door. "I'm sorry, friend," the terran replied, smiling again. "I don't have any money to donate."

The young herbalist seemed confused at the question, perhaps even critical of the request. Before the Terran formed the words in his mouth it was obvious to Ace that there was nothing to be gained here, and he had no use for herbs even if he wanted to take them. A waste of time. "All's well" he reassured the Terran with his mask of friendliness and straightening up to leave with a smile "Your time has been plenty enough." he said as he departed. "We must be going. I hope the herbs serve their purpose well. The throne awaits." Giving a regal wave, he and his companions resumed his trek toward the city.

Zaul wasn't alone for very long when he heard a child-like voice coming somewhere from shoulder height. "You were very wise not to go along with that man!" chirped an Avian youth. He was short by Avian standards, with a child-like face. His friendly manner was not suited for conveying the gravity of his warning "That man may seem friendly but he's really sinister, up to no good he is!" This mysterious harbinger had scruffy black feathers above his youthful face and was wearing a black under shirt with long sleeves and a brown leather vest with a strap buckled diagonal across his narrow chest. Attire more suited toward human culture.

"You should stay away from him if you come across him again. Oh! Have you seen a group of people besides Ace and his gang? One with a giant human with a Corvenus mask, and a human wearing fancy clothes all covered up, and a Pyran and uh...an Aquan! There were two, three Terrans I think, and a smaller, muscly human and there was an Avian like me! But she has really shifty eyes and a crest on her cloak and uh… A group like that?" They were alone mostly, except for the wagon that passed them by, driven by an inconspicuous old man. While further down the road a group was sauntering toward town.

By the time the foragers and hunters had gotten back to the other half of the party, Walter was just about ready to bounce, but was offered food and the prospect of tea tantalized him. Giving in to their hospitality he joined them for a spell along with Dust. At this time it was explained to Walter that he and Dust had in fact been heading away from Iblea. Just as they were giving him proper directions, a Pyran strode up to them and, lacking the hesitation common among strangers, joined them at their lunch. She answered questions straight forward and honestly, even to insistent questions.

She explained she wanted to tag along and perhaps buy a ride on the wagon to Iblea. After some deliberation on Walter's part, he explained he was willing to give such a ride, as repayment to the party for the tea and lunch, and for a sum of coins from the Pyran. However it was under the stipulation that he would drop them off outside the city, so as not to attract attention to Dust and himself. It seemed most fortunate, to those who remembered the discussion, that they were now making up the time they should have lost for choosing the slower of two routes. The wagon ride lasted them through the night and well into the next day until Iblea was in sight, at which time Walter and Dust took their leave from the party.

Sleep did not come easily to Darius, for a number of reasons. Having to have had slept in close quarters with so many people played havoc on his senses. He resorted to casting a spell that would help block sensory input for a time. Even then, when the stimuli from his environment no longer kept him wakeful, his dreams and thoughts plagued him. When the party had started their walk toward Iblea, Darius spoke out loud to get everyone's attention. "Hey, everyone, there's something I need to mention to you..." To those who were observant, Darius had none of the sheen of sweat common to those walking through the sun, even one so covered as he. Not for the whole journey so far. "I know some of you are just going off the word of the priestess but… When Ace had killed that man, I experienced something...wrong. Ace killed him, but from his own bloody fingers he was lapping a glowing, viscous, orange substance." Darius swallowed hard then, a cold sweat had broken out as he remembered the event. The memory was rooted firmly by olfactory. "It was the stench. That nauseating miasma I sensed. The term 'foul' does not serve well. Vividly I remember the feeling, like it was a scent my soul recoiled from. It's wrong, whatever Ace is."

With a shaky inhale he breathed deeply. "This force is powerful and evil. That's why I'm going along with what the priestess said. I think I understand the danger now, and I will try to stop it. Though, it frightens me like nothing else." He stared at Iblea as they walked, now more visible as Walter's wagon shrank with distance. Up ahead along the side of the road there was a Terran holding both a handful of herbs, and a conversation with a small Avian, dressed a little oddly, for an Avian at least.

Unlike Darius, sleeping near many others was something of a habit for Shireen, so the next day had her up and ready without any stress due to those reasons. Or any other, for that matter, until the man of science spoke. An out of place frown found its place on her face as she listened to his encounter, feeling both apprehensive and puzzled.

"I wonder if he's evil, or like, maybe there's something in him, like... possessed him?" She shook her head as she thought about what she just heard. Ace looked like a normal man to her, albeit a flamboyant one... it was hard for her to think anything more since she had only seen him the one time. But she trusted the priestess enough to come out on this journey, and she didn't think Darius would lie about such a thing, especially when he was mentioning how it frightened him.

But what could they do against such a force? Would her sword do any good? Shireen didn't think so, and for the first time she was beginning to doubt herself on the expedition.

She let out a small sigh before forcing a smile. "Gotta hope Iblea'll have some clues as to how t'beat that scum..." Her voice trailed to a stop as she looked ahead, seeing travellers in the distance.​

Calder had a hard time falling asleep that night. Not because of the people around him, or the fact that they were on the road, no, he had trouble falling asleep because his mind was focused on Ace and the skeevy feelings the man gave him. There was just something not right about him, and Calder couldn't get it out of his mind. Eventually though he did manage to get some sleep.

The next morning he woke with a crick in his neck and a bad attitude. Darius's announcement didn't do anything to assuage his grouchiness any either. He believed everything Darius said to be true. There was no doubt in Calder's mind that Ace was capable of something so wrong that it was beyond words. And beyond that Darius sounded genuinely afraid. He didn't know the man well, but that was good enough for him. Calder knew that this wasn't a joke. Still he didn't say anything. Instead, he sat back and watched the others. Shireen was the first to chime in. Calder wasn't surprised. She had a good idea about finding information in Iblea; it's not like they could do anything about him from where they were anyway.

Separating himself from the group so he wouldn't grouch at them, Calder moved further down the road, his gaze wandering across the landscape. It was the two strangers that caught his eye, he was leery about new people, but the last people they'd met hadn't been too bad, after all. Perhaps these two were much the same type of folk. He allowed himself to drift away from the group towards the two strangers.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie