Status
Not open for further replies.
GWWPF2l.png
Ansley put up a good fight, but no one could truly compete against Anzo's strength. Be it the Creator's blessing or a strange cosmic joke, Anzo was gifted with a body befitting a giant of legend. In addition, Anzo had been fighting even before some Wardens were able to suckle their mother's milk. It may have been a different story in combat—Ansley's skill with his maul would make even Anzo hesitate. But in a simple contest of brute, unbridled strength? Not even three men together could win against Anzo's might. With a deep chuckle, Anzo decided that it was time to finish.

"Failure builds character, lad!" Anzo replied to Ansley. "The battlefield may be unkind to losers, but this is a sport! A game! Entertainment! Who knows, lad, maybe in the next round you will—" Sensing Ansley's arm ready to unleash its final push, Anzo prepared to retaliate with his own full strength. When they clashed, it was not Anzo's hand that moved—it was his elbow.

"Win?!" Anzo yelped, only now registering that his elbow was at an awkward angle. Before he could recover, a heavy thud emanated from the table. Anzo's entire body tensed when he realized it was his hand that hit the table.

Anzo was silent. Ansley was silent. The crowd was silent.

Anzo lost.

The grip on Anzo's hand loosened, and Ansley rose up and proclaimed his victory. Anzo looked at his hand as he clenched and stretched his fingers experimentally. He looked at the table as if it had the answer to his defeat. A nervous chuckled escaped Anzo's helmet, but it rapidly grew into a howling laugh. He rose up, knocking the chair out from underneath him, and slammed both his hands down on the table causing much of the tableware and coin pile to topple.

"I lost!" He declared with a slight amount of disbelief before another bout of laughter erupted from him. "I lost!" He repeated cheerfully to the revived crowd. "It's as you say, Sage: I must be getting old to have lost a fair fight like that!" Anzo took a large step away from the table and briskly strode around it. When he approached Ansley, Anzo grabbed his shoulders and held him at arm's length. "Emperor Ansley, is it? Ha!" Anzo gave Ansley a once-over and teasingly congratulated him, "You may not be as handsome as me, but I'm glad it's you who defeated me! Now, a rematch! You've had your taste of victory, now share it with—"

"Anzo."

A clear, decisive voice cut through the crowd's noise. Its owner wore a helmet similar to Anzo's (albeit without his signature horn) and donned the attire of Morcrest's royal guard. Anzo groaned and pat Ansley's shoulders. "Maybe next time, lad. Don't lose until I've had my revenge, Warden Ansley!" With that, Anzo turned away from Ansley and approached the guard.

"Anzo!"

A familiar call from a familiar dwarf. Anzo immediately pulled away from the guard, much to his annoyance, and crouched down when he got near the female dwarf.

"Jericho, if you're looking to impress someone, look no further! I can always appreciate a fine outfit that can stay a blade or two! I would've shown off my own plate as well, if his Highness' Guards didn't catch me in the dorms!" Anzo looked back towards the guard as he spoke the last part, catching an exasperated huff from the man before the guard gestured impatiently towards the crowd. Anzo nodded and stood back up. "You caught me at a bad time, lass." Anzo explained, his voice lowered and sober. "I was in the midst of negotiating a rematch with Lord Ansley over yonder before someone had need of me. Sometimes people just aren't content working together." Anzo sighed and nodded towards the guard. "We should speak more after I deal with this issue, lass!" He turned and followed the guard as he slipped into the crowd. Despite Anzo's words, he wouldn't be surprised if Jericho started followed him anyways. It's not like it'd be the first time that happened!

Featuring:
@Mite's Anzo
@FrostedCaramel's Ansley - "Not bad, lad, but don't think I'll give up just like that!"
@BruisedLavender's Helke - "Enjoy your winnings, Helke. If I was only two years younger, I would've won!"
@Tyrannosaurus Rekt's Jericho - "If you had a helmet like mine, even the king would've swooned at your outfit!"

Languages used:
Common

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a short conversation, one that ended with ale splashing over Kwirk's face and robe. Unlike most nobles he knew, there was no offense taken or any movement of care given. This was the kind of behavior he sought to find when leaving Ibrance to begin with. To revel with the common folk and perhaps find common ground with them. It was unfortunate that this was the end result but there was hope to be found in her words.

She thought he was handsome, despite all the pretty horses that a frequent ride might meet. It made him blush as the ale was wiped from his face. She also wanted more than just a quip and little attitude. The dwarven woman would get more. Much more. "[Now that's a real woman.]" He whispered to himself. Perhaps foolishly, he was already planning on trying to win her heart, by offering his. The naive noble was mentally showing his youth, even if all anyone around him would notice that he was shot down, with extreme prejudice, by the pair of pretty green eyes.

Smiling, and still blushing, Kwirk returned to his food happily. "[You will not be mine, for I will be yours.]"

Reactions: Mite and kixinorbit
Hlynn.
interactions: @BruisedLavender - Noctua

Hlynn was trying to stuff an entire loaf of bread into her mouth as an extended silence formed between the two girls. She hadn't really expected any conversation, but had just figured that she should announce her presence as to not startle the avian woman. However, as she attempted to wash down the hunk of wheat with a drink of ale, she received a surprising response.

"...Hi. Noctua."

It didn't hit her exactly right. The combination of those two words felt strange in her brain, and as she dedicated some processing power to try and decrypt that strange phrase, she looked over at the Inguz. She had been trying to avoid staring, as she felt like that would have been the rude thing to do, but the woman was somewhat fascinating. Even as she had seen Inguz in her travels, she hadn't ever been this close to one. Maybe 'Noctua' was some sort of greeting or pleasantry? She couldn't know for sure. Luckily the girl clarified before Hlynn could figure out what to say next.

"That's my name. You can call me... that."

Hlynn looked away, a bit embarrassed by her own ignorance. Of course that was her name. Inguz greeting, where did she even come up with that? As she finally managed to swallow her food, she nodded slightly to convey that she understood, but didn't say anything else for a moment. She wasn't sure what to say. Should she even continue? Noctua's skill with conversation appeared to be on a similar level to her own. But Hlynn should at least say her name, return the favor, right? "It's good to meet you, Noctua. I'm Hlynn." She managed to get the words out without pausing to think, fortunately enough, but wasn't sure what to do now. Should she shake? Hlynn looked down at her hands. Already they were covered in food remains from her frantic devouring of the meal in front of her. That likely wasn't polite.

Deciding that she should probably say something else to keep the awkward silence from returning, Hlynn looked Noctua up and down. She remembered watching a man in a tavern a year or two ago that seemed to be a social butterfly, bouncing from table to table and making friends with the other patrons. He always opened with a compliment on them. "I like your w-" she stopped herself. Was it all right for her to comment on the wings? They were down, and seemed to be mostly hidden by a cloak, but they were visible... what was taboo, here? She thought for a moment before realizing that she hadn't said anything in about 15 seconds. "Y-your hair, I like your hair," she stuttered out, mumbling it in order to finish her sentence as quickly as possible, before giving a weak smile and taking another drink.

Kenna ruins everything

Kenna was not overly fond of charades such as this, but she could see their overall benefits and understood it was her responsibility to attend. On rare occasions in the past, she had even enjoyed some of them. Now, there were far too many people for that. Still, the food was free and the braziers warm, and she wouldn't complain. The elf mostly lingered to the outskirts of the hall, away from the bulk of the crowd. Still, she partook in periodical conversation with several of the Wardens she recognized as well as the rare conversation with friendlier new recruits.

And it was one especially friendly recruit she was talking with when she spotted Lauchlan. One overly friendly new recruit. He didn't seem to be picking up on her subtle signs of uninterest. She was about to make a comment about paying her respects to the King (which she'd actually already done), but decided Lauchlan would make a better excuse. She cut him off in the middle of his sentence, she hadn't been paying overmuch attention anyway, but it seemed like he was bragging or something of the sort.

"I just saw someone I have an important message for, if you'll excuse me.." Kenna did not have a message, not an important one, at least. Hopefully he'd buy it. "Welcome to the King's Wardens … Um." Wait. What was his name? Shit. "Welcome to the Wardens." She repeated more surely. "I hope you like it here." And without another word, she left him there. He was mumbling something as she walked away, the end of which was a statement of departure.

"Lauchlan!" The elf called as she approached him. Of the dozens of people she didn't like, Lauchlan was one of the few she did. "Been a while," she added. Kenna had neither seen nor heard of him for several months, it was good to know he wasn't dead yet. Now that Kenna was closer to him, she realized she recognized several of those around him as well. Not necessarily a good thing. Tóra being one-- another Warden who'd worked under her in the past. Kenna wrinkled her nose involuntarily, Tóra smelled disgusting. "... And Tóra." The final nearby woman was one the elf recognized, but pointedly ignored.

"How've you been?" The Lead Scout addressed Lauchlan. Tóra looked smashed and somehow Kenna doubted any good conversation would come from engaging her.

Still half listening to the dwarf as she nattered on about names, Lauchlan suppressed the urge to roll his eyes. He was confident that Jericho hadn't traversed the continent hundreds of times, and, while he understood hyperbole well enough, he found it needless, and so too her commentary. Names, he thought, were names-- dwarven or otherwise. Hadn't some well-loved bard even sang about something like that once? A flower by some other title would still keep its scent? Or…something? He couldn't really recall.

So lost was he in his mental searching for where he'd heard the phrase before, Lauchlan had missed what had transpired between those at his table. That was, of course, until Jericho had doused Kwirkel with the remainder of her ale. Snapping back to his surroundings, Lauchlan threw a glance at the female dwarf as she murmured something in Dwarven, but Kwirkel hardly seemed bothered by it. Somewhat nonplussed by the unseemly behaviour in the King's hall, Lauchlan watched with an arched brow as Jericho bounded away after Anzo, though he said nothing. Now there was an unusual match if he'd ever seen one, but he hardly cared what-- wait, had Anzo actually lost his competition with Ansley?

For a moment, he turned his attention back to where the two men had been arm wrestling each other, noting the hearty cheers and toasts that were still going up around those gathered there. Apparently Ansley had won after all. Was it, he wondered, Anzo being generous or was he getting old? Then again, Ansley was likely a good match for the man. Part of him, for a brief moment, wondered how he would compare to Anzo and Ansley in such good-natured competition, but he quickly dismissed the idea. No, that was too much ado for him, especially at a feast like this; there were far too many people. As such, Lauchlan again scanned the area for a less crowded table, hoping to find some reprieve from drunkenness and ale-splashing dwarves. He spotted a relatively empty table where two women sat, both of whom looked unfamiliar. Likely, they were new-- they looked about as awkward as he felt--but they seemed quiet and composed.

Lauchlan was halfway risen from his seat when someone called his name. Kenna had made her way through the crowd, and Lauchlan couldn't say he wasn't happy to see her. She was a straightforward woman, and that was something Lauchlan deeply appreciated in a leader: no nonsense and no unnecessary song and dance.

"Kenna," he greeted in reply, relaxing his expression into a half-smile. It was about all he could muster in such a draining situation. "It has," he agreed, "better part of a year. It's good to see you well."

Kenna returned a small smile of her own at the northern man. "Has it been that long?" She questioned rhetorically. "You're a competent man, Lauchlan. It'd be great to work with you again. I could put in a word with Commander Jautice, if you're interested." She could stand to be surrounded by more people she liked. Especially with her second being so insufferable.

"Thank you," Lauchlan said, still managing the half smile. That was high praise from Kenna, and he was pleased to hear she thought as much. "And yes, I'd take you up on that, so long as it means an assignment north of Artana. Many more ventures to the Southern Kingdoms and I think I may melt."

The elven woman chuckled dryly at that. "Another time, then. I'm not at liberty to go into much detail right now, but I do know I'm headed significantly south of Artana." She groaned as Lareira entered her peripheral vision. Apparently her disregard wasn't going to be a two way deal.

There was a crackle in the air when Lareira clipped her shoulder against Kenna's, the force not unnoticeable. On most days Lareira would have avoided the contact, a bitter look enough to satisfy her dislike, but the unhealthy dose of liquor in her blood emboldened her. Kenna followed Lareira's movements with a sharp glare, some choice words balanced on the tip of her tongue. If not for the other woman's inebriation, she would have given her an earful then and there. Although spared for the night, Lareira would definitely hear about this in the near future, if not from Kenna herself then from another superior.

"Keep it in mind." The Lead Scout's tone had taken a clear note of irritation, which she hoped Lauchlan understood was not directed at him. "If you'll pardon me, his majesty put a lot of effort into this feast and I'd hate to see it descend into something unpleasant. Farewell, Lauchlan." Without another word Kenna departed from the scene.

The terse exchange between Lareira and Kenna didn't go unnoticed, but Lauchlan merely nodded to the elf as she departed. He didn't want to see the feast devolve into anything unpleasant either, but Lareira was drunk, and it would likely do little good to chide her now.

"Hm, still walks like she stuck her pointed ears up her ass," Lareira said, chasing the words with a deep swig of wine.

"Bena wash ya mous," came the half slurred, half muffled words from the slumped drunk across the table.

"...What?" Lareira said, her nose wrinkled slightly at the hint of bile that was wafting from across the table. Her eyebrow cocked in question, but her hands still drifted up and down the table pulling bites of this and that to her plate. With great effort, Tóra pulled her head back up from where it had been nestled in the crook of her arm to send a bloodshot glare at Lareira.

"I said, bes' watch ya goddamn mouth," Tóra spat, the words were still a slanted mess, but at least they were distinguishable as a coherent thought. The snort that followed was perhaps not the answer that Tóra wanted. With a cruel grin, Lareira shot a glance over her shoulder where Kenna had disappeared before turning her gaze back on the bumbling drunk seated across from her.

"Oh an admirer. Well, don't be shy," she mocked. "Kenna needs a good screw. Who knows, maybe you will be able to finally work that stick out of her ass."

Tóra's hand darted out across the table towards a cluster of silverware that had been set out. With incredible skill she grasped the handle of her weapon of choice and brandished the deadly...spoon.

Laughing down the barrel of the spoon that had been brandished at her, Lareira turned away from the drunk girl and reached over to a fruit platter to continue to help herself. The laugh must have torn at the booze-thinned control that Tóra had been maintaining. Spoon still in hand, she leapt from her seat and sailed over the table, arms outstretched. Lareira's hand groped for an apple, but instead found thin air as Tóra collided with her and the pair tumbled to the floor. A cascade of food followed them, along with a shower of glass as a few bottles crashed to the floor. Shock knocked the fighting sense from Lareira, and a moment later the floor knocked her breath away as well. Lareira went deaf to the crowd as blood rushed to her head and roared through her ears. Her mind was a blank of confusion. Had that really just happened? It would not be the first time her tongue had gotten her into trouble, but then again it was the first time that a drunk had threatened her with a spoon.

As she tried to recover her breath, Lareira was vaguely aware that while her opponent was looming over, Tóra seemed frozen in confusion. Whatever fogginess was clouding the woman's thoughts didn't last long and, as she looked down at Learia, a grin spread nastily across her face. Clearly bolstered by her apparent victory, Tóra wound up and brought her fist down across Lareira's face. There was a sickening crunch where fist met face and Lareira was dazed enough that she barely remembered to raise her arms up to offer her face protection from another blow.

Tóra's face was twisted with loathing and she brought the knife she thought she had grabbed close to Lareira's neck to threaten her again. It was only now that bloodshot eyes seemed to focus on the object that was brushing against Lareira's throat.

"'Sa funny looking knife," she mused to herself. Suddenly, her vicious smile was pushed aside for an expression of shock and a northern curse.

The revelation was enough pause to give Lareira a chance to reach up and grab Tóra by the collar, twisting with a single hard movement that threw Tóra off her perch and onto the floor. Both girls scrambled to their feet, growls bubbling in their throats as they faced each other. Scarlet drops began to dot their skin, pricks from the glass that they had just rolled through. Lareira also had a thin line that dripped steadily from her nose to color her lips. With the sting of the blow still very fresh and with less booze slowing her system, Lareira was the first to break the standoff.

Charging in close, Lareira raised an arm to block as Tóra swung at her with the spoon, an eye twitching in a wince as the edge scrapped at her ribs. Damn, she was rusty at hand to hand. Distracted, she aimed a little higher than she meant to, feeling her knuckles connect with ribs instead of Tóra's stomach like she had been hoping. Even so, the blow was still a good one, knocking Tóra backwards a couple of paces before causing her to bend double as she fought to breathe through an eruption of coughing and retching.

Grabbing her opponent by the hair, Lareira pulled Tóra up to eye level before loosing a couple of punches into that stupid, elf-loving face. The force of the blows and the numbing effect of alcohol caused Tóra to twist around in Lareira's grip. Letting go of the clump of hair, Lareira instead reached across the other woman's shoulder and placed her hand across Tóra's mouth, pulling her backwards on her heels so that drunk's ear was level with Lareira's mouth.

"I'll make you regret being born to your whore of a mother," Lareira whispered before using her free hand to launch a savage blow at where she thought Tóra's kidneys were. Just as she was about to strike again, Lareira felt a searing pain in the hand covering Tóra's mouth. The damned shit-faced cow was biting her! Already she could feel a trickle of blood running past the base of her thumb. Desperately, Lareira smacked the side of Tóra's head until she felt the sweet relief of the pressure on her hand being released. Intent on checking the severity of the damage to her hand, she pushed Tóra with all her might, sending the drunken harpy tumbling to the floor.

The sound of an outraged shriek made Lareira look up from her injured hand, and smiled when she saw a large white griffin turning angrily on her opponent's sprawled form. Tora had landed on the griffin's tail, and the animal was none too pleased about it. The griffin in question whipped her tail free of the offender and snapped angrily at the woman, though she did not attack. She was, however, hissing and looking utterly scandalized.

Lareira's confidence was bolstered by the knowledge that she had a griffin on her side, and she stepped forward only to find herself being lifted off the floor by her waist.

The fight had, thus far, happened very quickly.

When the two women had come to blows, one pinning the other to the floor, Lauchlan had jumped to his feet, looking outraged at the disrespectful behaviour. With some effort, he managed to grab Lareira around the waist, extracting her from the fight and pulling her away from Tóra.

"Come to your senses!" he snapped, trying to get a better hold on the flailing woman.

That, however, was proving a difficult task. She was fighting like a thing possessed.

Struggling to get her there, he hauled the woman up over his shoulder, incurring several scratches on his arms and neck in the process.The archer was a lot stronger than Lauchlan would've guessed, and he'd seen the woman fight before. Apparently she was all the more aggressive when drunk.

Madness struck her, and Lareira groped for the decorative hummingbird pin that had somehow managed to stay perched in her hair. Trinket as it was, it did have a very sharp point at the end and right now she had few qualms about using it.

Lauchlan winced as the hairpin was stabbed into the back of his right arm. "Dammit, woman--" He hissed, trying to maintain his hold, "stop this nonsense. Are you out of your bloody mind?" He'd managed to resecure a grip on her, but a hissing griffin chose that moment to streak past him, causing him to overbalance. Reflexively, he released one had from Lareira, bracing it on the table to steady himself, but that was just enough for the writhing girl to slip from his grasp. In a split second her feet hit the ground and she charged toward Tóra, the pin raised high. Though the booze had long stopped its slow burning, the heat of the fight seared away her sense and control. It would be so easy; Tóra was unarmed and almost blind through the blows that she had suffered. It would be so easy!

"Easy, Lareira, easy." Morcoth had extracted himself from the crowd to grab Lareira cross the waist with one arm, his other hand grabbing her wrist. With one arm pinned to her side and the hair piece subdued in Morcoth's iron grip she could do little but wriggle and curse. With a voice like one would use with a spooked beast, Morcoth spoke, until finally, exhausted by the fight and her struggle against Lauchlan, her body slowly went limp. It was another half a minute before the blood finally drained from her eyes and her breath stopped hissing through her teeth.

[BCOLOR=transparent]"There ya are, thought we'd lost ya." Morcoth said with a sigh, letting his grip loosen slightly but did not let go completely. He gave her a chance to find her footing again, all the while Lareira blinked bemused, as though unsure of what had just transpired. Nervously she fidgeted with the hairpin her mind slowly clicking back into place as her eyes darted from Tóra, to Lauchlan, to Morcoth, to an enraged griffin, and back again. Finding it warm and slick in her grasp she looked down to see that she was attempting to make a small puddle on the floor as her hand dripped scarlet onto the stone tiles. Seeing her gaze Morcoth reached down and slipped the pin from her hand, tucking out of sight. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"I think thats enough for tonight." he said gently and without another word guided Lareira away. For once she had no comments, and followed along gentle as a lamb.[/BCOLOR]

Meanwhile, two Wardens were lifting the semi-conscious Tóra to her feet only for one of them to immediately drop their side when the woman coughed up a mouthful of vile-looking dark liquid. The Warden left holding Tóra up grumbled a few choice curses at his retreating friend and his new charge before beginning the slow process of practically dragging her away to somewhere more suitable.

Featuring:
Applo's Tóra
E.T.'s Lareira
Rook's Kenna
DinoFeather's Lauchlan

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Mite and E.T.
Though the crowd parted easily for Anzo, he still had to twist and turn his body in an effort not to shove around too many people. The Royal Guard lead Anzo through the crowd, explaining exasperatedly that an argument was getting heated. Anzo scoffed quietly before teasing, "It's not often that the guards need my help keeping some drunkards in line!" The guard gave a small chuckle before informing Anzo that one of the culprits was the Mage Slayer. Anzo stayed quiet for a moment before admitting, "I'm not very good at dealing with her." The guard replied in good-humor that neither was he.

Anzo broke through the crowd precisely at the moment Wicker tossed a flagon of ale into a male Inguz's face. The hostility both parties gave off was typical of two disagreeing warriors, particularly between a male and female: The Inguz was baring his teeth in a cocky, confident grin while Wicker's frigid glare bore holes into her adversary. Anzo assumed the Inguz made a comment that the Elf didn't approve of, but that alone wouldn't be enough for the guards to involve themselves in, much less Anzo.

It was the bloodlust. The malice radiating off Wicker was palpable, and both the guards and Anzo knew that the Elf was foolish—or violent—enough to act on it. It was no secret that Wicker murdered a mage and her friend, Hiya, was able to sweet talk them into the Wardens, but only a select few knew of Wicker's Profane talents and the bloodshed she wrought before being caught in Morcrest. Anzo had quite a few apprehensions about allowing Wicker into the Wardens, but he and King Akard agreed that she'd be easier to monitor under the eyes of people who can defend themselves; with her vile magic, it wouldn't be long before she broke free from the dungeon anyways.

Wicker eyes darted to Anzo and her malice grew twofold. As expected from being part of the team that captured her, Anzo was still hated. Luckily, when she realized both Anzo and the guards were here her bloodlust calmed. She was not as rash as first expected.

"Your owners have arrived, beast. Run along before your leash chokes you."

"Big talk from a freed convict, Elf. Your little bitch isn't here to save you now, and I'm sure no one would mind me putting a murderer in her place."

Their hostility rekindled itself. Anzo was just about to speak up when yet another guard grasped his shoulder. Anzo leaned down to listen to the guard's whispers and scoffed loudly when the guard informed Anzo of yet another scuffle forming. Anzo looked between the two fighters and decided that the Elf would probably cause more trouble if left alone.

"Wicker," Anzo called out, motioning with his finger for the Elf to follow, "Apparently some scuffles are breaking out, probably too much drinking. A magic user would be a helpful sight." Wicker looked at him incredulously for a long moment, but decided to follow him instead of continue testing her patience on the Inguz. Of course, the Inguz and Elf spat out a few choice words and curses as they parted, but Anzo would rather split them up now and deal with the problem one at a time than risk having them come to potentially lethal blows.

As Anzo lead Wicker through the crowd, he could feel an icy glare on his back. Anzo wasn't used to dealing with lingering hostility, especially from an ally so close. He didn't really know how to deal with it, but luckily Wicker was the one who broke the ice first.

"I was not going to kill it," she announced offhandedly. Anzo glanced over his shoulder for a moment before turning back to the crowd. An unconvinced hum was his only response. "I was not! It—uh, he said…" Wicker struggled, trying to find the right words to plead her case. "I'll listen as much as you need, lass, but later. I need your skills right now," Anzo stated apologetically, giving Wicker a scowl. Anzo peered over the crowd at the two combatants being pulled apart. "We're a bit late. Wicker-"

"Wèkhïr," she interjected sullenly. Anzo continued, sterner this time, "One of them is being carried away. Might be a bit of a bruising: can you fix that, lass?" Anzo pointed over the crowd. Wicker's followed his finger and wordlessly started squeezing through the crowd towards the drunken fighter. Anzo sighed and decided to make his way to the other fighter. As he got closer, he noted that the fighters were Tóra and Lareira, an interesting pair. Anzo also noticed Lauchlan as well and decided to make a quick detour to him. Anzo hoped the guards would be able to deal with any more scuffles on their own, especially since these last two had a few special circumstances (one involving a convict, the other drawing more than just a bit of blood).

Featuring:
@Mite's Anzo and Wicker
@E.T.'s Lareira - "I always enjoy a good spar, but there's a time and place, lass!"
@Applo's Tora - "Why do I have to take care of drunken fighters?"
@DinoFeather's Lauchlan - "A good lad with a smart head on his shoulders! Maybe he has some answers..."

Languages used:
Common
Elven

clQ8UTr.png

King Akard had postponed long enough for those who were unlikely to appear even if he to further delayed for them. Abstaining for the lacking few was trifling in the enduring scheme of things, especially as everyone he truly required had already arrived. The man leaned back into the cushion of his chair, hands comfortably locked in his lap as he observed the scene before him a final time. His Wardens consisted of hundreds of men and women, from places both near and far, from lives similar and strange. In the eight years of the order's existence, numerous friendships had surfaced between dissimilar individuals who wouldn't have met under different circumstances. The King could see some of them now, laughing and joking without a care. For a moment it might have all been a dream, to be carried away to the furthest recesses of memory when his eyes opened to the morning sun. It was not a dream, however. Not this time.

His eyes flickered from the scene before him and onto the man at his right. Jautice was laughing at something, one of his own jokes, perhaps? Somehow the King doubted it had been anything his conversing partner had said, Lord Royland wasn't exactly an amusing man. It didn't take long for the Grace to notice Akard's pointed gaze and he immediately picked up on the intent.

"It's time then?" The Warden Commander asked, a hint of excitement in his voice and an eagerness in his eyes. It was easy to understand where it came from, recent years had seen the Wardens fall into the role of decorated peace officers. Their mundanity causing doubts for some, especially with their intended purpose being great as it was. The Graces had been staunch supporters of the Wardens for years, Jautice in particular had always been in support of Akard's ambitions-- there was a thrill to see such a cog turn.

"It begins," the King replied. His own table had fallen entirely silent, watching him. He felt a brief pang of disappointment that Lord Copernicus was unable to attend, as his official support was exponentially helpful. Despite the absence, Akard had once again met with the youngest of the Copernicus brood. Brennan Copernicus was an eager youth, with notable potential. Hopefully he wouldn't cause more trouble than his family's support was worth. Nobles were almost always a gamble.

Akard stood, drawing the attention of several nearby Wardens.

Jautice gestured to a nearby page who had remained in wait by the wall for a while. The boy hurried over to stand near the end of the table, then turned to face the room. He lifted a horn up to his lips and blew two triumphant notes. Deep, rich notes that were music to the young King's ears. The ostentatious sound was impossible to ignore, drawing the attention of the room. Conversations and noise quickly faded to silence. The Commander did not wait long after the notes had finished to stand. Akard thought his uncle looked the more impressive that night: a man of years, aged well, with only a small tinge of grey in his hair and beard. He was a tall, muscular, and imposing man, adorned in fine ceremonial armour, boasting the colours of both the Wardens and the Graces.

"Attention, Wardens!" Jautice called to the room, voice loud and booming. It filled the hall easily. The few who hadn't quieted at the horn fell to silence now. Any murmurs left were too isolated to be heard from the King's table. "His Majesty, King Akard of Morcrest, shall address you now!" The Commander said, gesturing to the King beside him with a hand as he spoke.

"Thank you, Jautice." Akard said lowly as his uncle returned to his seat. "My Wardens," he started started fondly, voice loud enough to be heard, yet far from a shout. "First, I wish to thank you all, truly. I am grateful. It warms my heart that so many believe in me and my ambition. And even more that you follow me-- that you risk your life in my name, for a greater and better Elliria." A couple Wardens cheered supportively. The King smiled softly at that.

"As it has always been, my dream is to see a peaceful, united Elliria. One without constant war, without slavery. A world of justice. I know this is an idealistic goal-- So I've been told many times." Akard did not look toward those at his own table who had said that very thing, time and time again. "Yet I know it is truly possible. And now is the time to take the first step, to cross a line we've waited just behind, to make it a reality. Tomorrow it begins. These past years have been a time of growth for the Wardens. Of learning and preparing. I don't doubt we will continue to grow, however, now is not the time to sit idle while it happens. We must spread out. Begin the true task of uniting Elliria. Starting tomorrow and continuing into the following weeks you will all be assigned to tasks which best benefit the goal at hand.

"While peaceful methods will always be the first choice, there will no doubt be those who resist and will have to be otherwise persuaded. There will be those who do us harm, who aim to stop us. Bandits and the occasional bane will no longer be the sole test of your skills; your capabilities will be tested broadly. The dangers in remaining a Warden are high. So here me now-- if you are not prepared to face death or worse for this cause, leave. Tonight or tomorrow, or in the days to come. I will not think ill of you, nor should anyone else. Rather, if you chose to go, know I thank you for all you've done already. I wish you well.

"However, if you stay, you'll be a stone in the foundation on which to build a better world.A chance to change the future." King Akard fell silent a moment, allowing his words to linger in the air for a moment before bringing his speech to a close. He smiled once more to his Wardens. "This feast is but a small token of the gratitude I am unable to entirely express to all of you. Each of you has my profound and sincere thanks. Please, enjoy the rest of the feast as you desire and depart at leisure. I must bid you all farewell for the time being. Goodnight."

Two more notes sounded from the horn as Akard stepped away from his chair, the sound of cheers and applause escorting him away. Conversation and clatter returned to the hall. The King stopped just behind the row of chairs which he had spent the majority of the night seated on. Jautice stood beside him, having also moved from his own chair not long after.

~

"I think that was the largest number of people I've spoken before." Akard mused, voice returned to a normal volume.

"Your coronation?" Jautice suggested.

"That was different," the King responded, although it was true that there had been more people that day when he addressed the populace. "Those were just words, said dozens of times nearly the same by those before me."

"What's this? Are you getting butterflies? You're the last man I'd expect that from."

"No, not that. I'm fine. Just thinking aloud." Akard replied, casting a glance back to the jubilation of the hall. He knew not everyone would enjoy such an event, still it was good to see many were. "The very last? Surely not."

"Ha, you've caught me. Close, though."

The King returned a small smile to his uncle in response. The two fell quiet a moment, until the younger spoke again.

"You're not going to say anything?"

"Not tonight. It's you they wanted to hear. They'll have plenty of time to listen to me. I imagine half of them will grow tired of me soon enough as things already are." His uncle said with a short hearty laugh.

"Surely you jest."

"Ha! I wish. Constant yelling and speeches aside, I'm sure the seminars on proper etiquette will be the final nail in the coffin." His tone was light and his mood merry.

"I can't imagine you will have much luck teaching this company etiquette."

"I don't think I want to try." His uncle retorted with a huff. "Even if I did, there are far better uses of time. Enjoying this feast, for one."

"You're remaining a while longer?"

"Leave and miss all the great stuff my money bought? Surely not!"

"Then I entrust you to keep things in line. Maybe you can start early on the yelling."

"Ha!" Jautice chuckled, "And ruin such a merry mood? Perish the thought."

"Enjoy the feast. If you see him, give Anzo my regards." Akard smiled once more at the Grace. "Don't get too drunk, Uncle." He added before he beckoned over his guards and departed from the hall.
~

Commander Jautice watched the King until he had departed entirely out of sight before he returned to his seat. The man had only been seated a short while when the princess exited the hall, observing the tradition of not departing before the King, exempting dismissal or special permission. For an event of this magnitude it would be excusable to not follow such a manner, but those sharing in the high table were sure to observe the courtesy of their upbringing regardless. Prince Segard and the young Higard departed only several minutes later. There was no surprise there. Jautice didn't imagine Royland would continue to linger much longer, either. His brother supported Akard and the Wardens, but Jautice knew he wasn't overly fond of interacting in an equal manner with those of lower status. The Warden Commander had no doubt he would be the last from the high table to leave the feast. That would be a lonely table.

When Royland finally did depart-- and as expected, it was not long after the others-- Jautice summoned over some wine, before he too left his table of empty chairs. Instead going to socialise among the many other Wardens. He wasn't going to be the last to leave the hall that night, there would surely be those who remained even as the sun crept into the sky, but the Commander was far from ready to leave the scene.

lBj2QH9.png

It was a nice speech, and Kwirk joined in on every cheer. The young man was enamored with the words and they idea that they were there to make this world better. Stronger. Where the good guys drink at the bar and the bad guys rot in the dirt. As the horn went off again, the sound made him feel uplifted, but maybe that was just because he liked horns. He debated blowing his own dwarven crafted beauty, but that might cause chaos and confusion for anyone who is actively listening for such things. Perhaps sometime soon, a good horn blowing would benefit all.

One by one, he watched the royal family exit. Their movement seemed as customary and traditional as the ones he was used to seeing. Perhaps human culture isn't so different after all. At least, not as much for the nobles as much as the grand scheme. For the middle and lower, it was sure to be different, even just from a societal standpoint.

After eating his weight in poultry, cheese, ale, and who knows what else, the young noble decided to turn in for the night. Nodding to his fellow chair sitters, he moves himself towards his Warden chambers. He wondered what kind of trouble emerald eyes might be getting into right now.

"[Probably out looking for more ponies to throw a drink at.]"

He laughed and continued out the doors.

Lauchlan said nothing as Morcoth stepped forward to further restrain Lareira and coax her away without resistance. Still watching in silence as Tóra too was removed from the crowd, Lauchlan reached his left hand around to examine where something, presumably a hair ornament, had been stabbed into his arm. There was a small puncture and when he took his fingers away there was a bit of blood on them, but it was hardly a thing of concern. He was irked, yes, but it was little more than a scratch, and he wiped his fingers off on his tunic. Moreover, he was preoccupied with thinking about his own reaction to the brawl that had occurred. Part of him felt rather foolish for snapping at the woman-- he hadn't thought he would actually be able to make her see reason, drunk as she was, but he'd never been good at choosing the right thing to say. The other part of him found the happenings so absurd that it nearly circled back to being humorous.

Save for the racism. And disruption. And apparent disrespect for the King.

Curious, he swept his gaze over the crowd, which was resuming the normal volume of conversation now that the brawl had died down, but he didn't see the griffin that had nearly knocked him over. It had just now struck him as odd that there was a griffin at the banquet at all. He knew there were a select few of the Wardens that preferred them as mounts, but he'd never seen one accompany their rider indoors before.

Before he became too entangled in his own thoughts, Anzo caught his attention and he turned to the man with an indifferent expression.

"'Evening," he greeted blandly, giving a slight inclination of his head. Likely, Anzo had been drawn over by the commotion and was looking for some sort of explanation. Or, at least, Lauchlan assumed so. It was practically impossible to read Anzo at times, largely due to the man's refusal to remove his helm. "Brawl," he explained, his eyes fixed on the slit in the man's visor. He had long since stopped expecting to see eyes underneath. "Uønsket and Decseras," he elaborated, "both drunk to the point of idiocy. Morcoth saw to Decseras, and Uønsket was," he paused, considering. "Removed," he concluded. There was a hint of distaste in his voice and he fell silent, collecting his thoughts.

"I know it won't do much good at the moment," Lauchlan mused after a long moment, his eyes searching Anzo's visor, "but the blatant racism some of us…exhibit… should be addressed. It seems to relieve otherwise decent people of their reason."

Again he fell silent, waiting for Anzo to reply. But whatever the man was going to say, if anything at all, was drowned out by the sudden notes of a herald's horn. Lauchlan abruptly turned his attention to the high table, where King Akard had gotten to his feet.

When the speech had concluded and Akard bade them goodnight, Lauchlan felt a sweeping sense of relief. If the King was leaving, then it was appropriate for him to leave as well. He quietly excused himself from Anzo and slipped out of the crowded hall, heading back for the sleeping quarters.

Mentions:
@Mite
@Applo
@E.T.

Last edited:
Reactions: Applo and E.T.
[fieldbox=, #00f2ff]

Charming. Sage thought as Akard concluded his speech. It was a word he always used for people like Akard who spoke with integrity and compassion. They were the persuasive type, a quality he both admired and lacked. As always, he felt quite out of place at social gatherings, and was prepared for the many sideways glances of wonder that he attracted as a result of all the Wardens being united under one roof. There were many unfamiliar faces, however, there were almost as many familiar ones.

Sage had the pleasure of working besides many unique individuals during his three years of service to the King, which had left him acquainted with more people than he was honestly comfortable with. As inspiring and beneficial as it was to have people from all walks of life within Elliria united under one banner, it was also super awkward. Well, for Sage it was at least. Even something so simple as the banquet they were all attending confused the man, who couldn't help but wonder why humans talked and partied so much.

"Very well, I shall take my leave." Sage declared, speaking towards a few Inguz he had befriended. It goes without saying how much more comfortable Sage is around Inguz than any other race, having been raised by them of course. They simply nodded as the man stood up and made for the exit. Sage walked amongst madness, considering how a majority of the Wardens were filled to the brim with mead and vigor. He bumped into a variety of swordsman, mages and archers of the like, all speaking back and forth loudly or shouting at one another in rejoice.

The chaos spilled outside as many of the Wardens began to depart the feast. Sage stood outside, surveying the area out of instinct, curious as to how he was going to spend the rest of his evening, when his eyes came upon a woman laying against the castle walls. There were many who stumbled as they walked and slurred as they spoke, but she was the only one he could see isolated. Sage took a moment to muster up some courage, and approached the woman.

"Excuse me," He began, "Are you okay?"

"Leave her be would be my advice pal" interjected a voice to Sage's left. The voice belonged to a warden standing over one of the water troughs into which he was wringing out his shirt. "She drunk herself stupid and then got the little sense that remained beaten out of her. It's taken me forever to get her this far, she's either falling down or throwing up" the man said looking pointedly at the sodden fabric in his hands. "I've spoken to one of the guards and they'll keep and eye on her til she falls asleep and then get some of the servants to drag her inside. She sounds like a far northerner so I doubt this damnable cold would bother her even if she could feel it, and now if you'll excuse me" he continued pulling the damp and stained shirt on "I'm going to see if there's any of the good grub left in there." With that the warden spun on their heels and set of back towards the great hall.

Sage watched as the Warden set off for more food, and looked down on Tóra as she lay with her back against the wall. He thought about offering her some water, as he still had some in his pouch. He was, after all, fully outfitted in his hunting gear and had all of his weaponry on his person. He had spent a majority of his time in Lingerhold hunting, and didn't bother to change for the occasion, as he usually never did. He knew, however, that Tóra would not be capable of even simply drinking water. The idea of her being dragged to bed didn't quite sit right with him, and so he reached down and lifted her up into the air and onto his shoulder, based solely on the principle that this was something he was capable of doing.

It did not take much effort to carry a drunkard to bed. Unsure of where to leave the woman, Sage simply dropped Tóra off on a random bed before taking his leave, heading straight to bed.

[/fieldbox]

Reactions: Applo
VhcwYlm.png

Late April, 976

The Wardens bound for Kalico were some of the last to depart Lingerhold's halls. Thirty-six men and women were assigned to this mission, separated into three parties spread throughout Kalico. Since this was such a delicate mission, it was necessary to take extra caution. The last party had set out almost two months after the Warden's Feast and took five days to reach the border between Morcrest and Kalico. Mild weather and lush fields formed the backdrop for their peaceful journey carried by smooth roads.

This Kalician bound group was headed by Commander Jautice himself, as such a political figure was sure to benefit things when it came to the prestigious worth Kalico placed so much value in. The extent of House Grace's lineage was well known throughout central Elliria; that Lord Grace's own brother visited in person made an impression at the very least.

Their arrival at the Kalician border was met with tepid interest. The large drawbridge that allowed river crossing was rarely closed, and the two large towers flanking the gatehouse carried attentive, if understaffed guardsmen. The Wardens were halted for a routine check of their caravan, but upon seeing the Grace house's emblem and symbol of the King's Wardens (along with the numerous armed and suspicious individuals), the border guard's commander personally approached Jautice. Their discussion was tense but brief. Within moments, the guard commander told his men to continue the inspection then allow the Wardens on their way. The border guards offered escort, but after Lord Jautice's decline and a cursory glance at the rest of the Wardens, they decided a map would work instead of an escort.

It wasn't long after crossing the border that Anzo stopped the caravan. With a nod towards Saga, he announced his plans. "Alright, lads! Saga and I have business to attend to in Kalico. Now don't you worry, we won't take long - By the time you reach Dunstan, we'll have already scouted out all the best taverns and brothels she has to offer!" Anzo heartily laughed at Saga's unamused expression, but cleared his throat soon after he realized no one else was, "Now play nice, and don't get sidetracked! Kalico's a beautiful place, sure, but we have our mission!" After a quick private discussion with Jautice, Anzo and Saga said their goodbyes and departed towards southern Kalico.

lBj2QH9.png

The rest of the caravan carried on toward central Kalico, toward Dunstan. Their trip remained amiable for another week, with little change. Despite the increasing intensity of the overhead sun as summer drew nearer, a cool breeze kept the day from becoming unwelcoming. The fanciful stories of Kalico's main roads held true; stone-paved and cambered for drainage, the Warden caravan was making excellent time on its stable path. On either side of the road, an individual could see rolling, green hills stretching on for miles, herds of wild horses speckled atop and distant caravans travelling between.

Buildings speckled the lands, from lush farmsteads to manned—and occasionally abandoned—forts to small encampments and empty campsites. It was only when passing through the valley between two hills did Kalician architecture leave one's sight, though more often than not did a fort overlook the valley pass from atop a flanking hill.

It was a late May afternoon, as the caravan lazily continued down the road after an entire day of oppressive sunlight. Commander Jautice was heading the caravan (as he usually did) as Scout Commander Nyharis Bavarra reported to him, the latter taking step alongside the commander's horse. "Kalico is odd," the scout stated plainly, as he eyed a trio of griffin riders gliding across the sky towards a distant fortress.

"You find Kalico strange?" Jautice questioned with a single raised brow. "Kalico is far from out of the ordinary."

"You've spent most your time in the Ellirian Heartlands," Nyharis emphasized. "Everything is so green up here. I hadn't ever seen green grass before I came north-- Without trees present it looks all the more wrong. And these roads," he finished casting a look down at the fine masonry below him. They were a far cry from the sand mortar he was so familiar with in the south.

"I'll be happy to talk with you about how odd you find Kalico later," Jautice announced to regain Nyharis' attention, "however, weren't you supposed to be reporting?"

"Ah, right," the man responded with a nonchalant shrug. "Presumably nothing out of the ordinary. Lots of empty greenery, wild horses, and several rundown buildings. There is an encampment ahead, appears abandoned."

Commander Jautice felt it was necessary to provide his small group with a respite: The Wardens couldn't do much good if they were all fatigued by the time they reached Dunstan. The sun earlier in the day had been especially harsh, and the Wardens had been riding since daybreak. Jautice had sent Nyharis' scouting ahead in hopes of finding a tavern or inn for a good rest, but the results were disappointing. The previous night was spent at a roadside inn, their first beds after a few days travel—something Jautice wanted the Wardens to enjoy a little longer. Jautice wanted to avoid unwarranted attention to the company without appearing suspicious, and so avoided resting at Kalico's military posts and larger settlements.

"Understood," Jautice replied, "We'll set up camp there."

The encampment was an old and dilapidated place atop a small cliff adjacent to the road; even from below, one could see the damage time caused to the palisades and the gate—or lack thereof. At least the stonework still held, and if nothing else the palisade wall was standing. A single structure rose above the walls—a storehouse, its central roof partially collapsed. The plant life growing at the base of the walls suggested the number of years it had been abandoned.

Jautice raised a hand to halt the caravan as he directed Nyharis to go ahead and further investigate the location. A nearby Warden let out a content sound, pleased to be taking a break. However, the scout had not been gone long when the sounds of metal and combat echoed from the ruins. The Commander reacted immediately, calling the Wardens to action and charging ahead on his pedigreed steed.

Jautice arrived to see Nyharis parry a bandit's sword and jump back just in time to avoid another bandit trying to shoulder-check him with his shield. Nyharis only had a moment's rest to look over and see his commander and trailing comrades before dodging another barrage from the bandit duo. Nyharis was panting, he wasn't a bad fighter, but the frontlines were never his best position. He swore to himself in Southern before shouting back to Commander Grace and the other Wardens.

"THERE'S MORE!" Nyharis started to say something else but was cut short as he moved sharply to avoid another strike.

As if waiting for Nyharis' words, numerous bandits surged from the ruined encampment. Jautice had drawn his shield and sword, the former of which he raised to protect himself from the sudden oncoming arrows. He realized there were at least three, maybe four, archers as the arrows flew by, one whizzing only a few perilous centimetres from his shoulder.

From what Jautice witnessed of Nyharis's battle, these were not common bandits. They fought more like trained warriors, attempting to wear him down and exhaust him instead of going for the kill. In addition to the two fighting Nyharis, Jautice saw no fewer than six other bandits charging him—and yet more still trickled out from the broken gate—along with the bowmen taking pot shots from within the walls. Though the enemy was numerous and surprisingly capable, Jautice had confidence in the company of Wardens now flanking him and preparing to counter-charge.

"For our King, for the Wardens!" Jautice shouted as the bandits fell upon them.

lBj2QH9.png

RXCdI4G.png

May 3rd, 976

The sun shone brilliantly down from a clear sky as billowing sails propelled three large ships across the Bay of Osigon. The ships had been at sea for nearly two months and they were fast approaching the island of Amicyre. Their journey would last another ten to fifteen days, depending upon whether or not the tailwind held. As of now, the ships were making steady progress through sapphire waters, the huge wooden masts creaking behind the expansive canvas sails. At the top of the main mast of each ship flew a Morcrestian flag, whipping about in the ocean breeze. Below it flew the blue and gold banner of the King's Wardens, announcing their presence on each of the three ships.

Overall, the ships were an impressive sight. King Akard had sent one of the larger Morcrestian Portsmouth-class ships, a battleship called "Maelstrom," to aid in quelling the pirate activity, along with two smaller, faster ships. The smaller ships, Endeavour and Wind Runner were Werian-class ships, narrow vessels with massive sails that provided speed and maneuverability. The Maelstrom carried one hundred Wardens in addition to her sailing crew of fifty. Each of the smaller ships bore fifty Wardens with their crews of twenty-five. Of course, the numbers aboard each could have been doubled, but the Wardens were to meet with those already stationed on Amicyre. It also ensured that the long journey south was made more tolerable by not packing the Wardens shoulder to shoulder in the crew quarters.

In addition to the two hundred Wardens, the ships carried numerous supplies and even some mercantile goods that were always in demand on the island. Extra cannons had even been secured in the hull of the Maelstrom, intended to be moved to the Morcrestian ships waiting in Amicyre. Most of the supplies were carried in the battleship, while the two clippers carried mostly additional sails and canvas for any changes or repairs that might be necessary during their elimination of the pirate threat.

As the ships progressed and the sun began to sink lower in the sky, a single figure flew into sight against the reddening horizon. As he drew closer, the Warden, an avian inguz, swept down over the Maelstrom and landed on the deck. The man, looking harried, urgently sent for the captain and commanding officer and leaned back against a large crate to catch his breath.

It took only a moment to locate Lieutenant-Commander Risna, a sharp-faced woman with a serious demeanour, who could always be found attending to one matter or another which required her attention. Within seconds of being hailed, she was on deck, followed closely by Captain Merrick. Merrick was an older man with grey hair and beard, and an equally stern expression. Both approached the apprehensive-looking inguz with an air of calm determination.

"What is it?" Risna asked, her stern expression fixing on the Warden. She could not imagine he brought good news.

The inguz was still breathing heavily, and he gestured off the starboard side of the ship. "Ships," he said, straightening somewhat, "five o' them, and they're flyin' black flags."

"How far?" Merrick's voice was terse but calm.

"Few miles," replied the inguz, finally having regained his breath. "Small ships, sir, an' movin' quick."

The plan had been to face the pirates once they had regrouped at Mouldermouth Port. This engagement was a bit premature, but it didn't exactly come as a surprise.

"We're not going to outrun them with the Maelstrom weighed down with all this cargo," Risna said. "They're forcing our hand in the matter, but they'll come to wish they hadn't. Captain, prepare to fight."

Her eyes searched over the deck a moment, sweeping intently over the Wardens scattered about and crewmen at work. Despite many of the Wardens still not having their sea legs, they possessed sufficient means to confront the approaching vessels. It would, she thought, be an appropriate introduction to pirate methods and tactics, and how best to deal with them.

"Rouse the rest of the crew," Merrick barked at the bosun, "and ready the cannons. You there," he turned back to the avian inguz who'd brought word of the approaching ships, "Alert the Wind Runner and the Endeavour, tell them they are to bring the ships about in a wide berth. I don't want them in immediate sight. Tell them to look for the signal lamps."

With Captain Merrick managing the crew, Risna turned abruptly on her heel and vanished below deck to assemble the rest of the Wardens.
lBj2QH9.png

Featuring:
Rook's Saga, Commander Jautice Grace, Nyharis Bavarra, and Lieutenant Commander Risna.
Mite's Anzo
NPC Captain Merrick

Last edited:
Reactions: Mite
A woman of great repute, alone atop a ruined stage
Kalico's fire listens as she weathers the rain

Her captors plan to execute, awaiting Wardens to engage
Should they survive, a great ally they stand to gain
The storehouse's occupants awaited the Wardens' approach with an air of impatience and quiet anticipation. Everyone in the building expressed their impatience differently, at varying levels of combat readiness. Some stood leaned against the walls, sharpening their blades, while others sat on the floor and drummed their fingertips against the sides of their boots. This relative silence was broken only by the storehouse's most colorful occupant, who contrasted so harshly with the drab bandits that her very presence could be considered akin to shouting.

With red and gold garb befitting of a noble, and her golden blond hair shimmering with all the subtlety of a screeching tea kettle, Kalico's very own Ludivine made a fine centerpiece to any room--even a dank, ruined storeroom overrun by a band of thieves and rogues. Much like the Wardens to follow her, she had run afoul of these ruffians earlier that day, while searching for a place to rest. A woman with a face anyone from central Elliria could recognize, traveling alone with no escort--these were conditions that any sensible person of her stature would object to, but she had little choice in the matter. With the late Duke Avremarus out of the picture, she, a mistress, was nothing to the family but a finely dressed object of scorn. Now, she was even worse off; she was a finely dressed hostage for these bandits.

"These ropes too tight, lass?" one of the men asked, in what he must have assumed to be a gentle voice, as he gave one last tug on Ludivine's wrist bindings. This was the man that had recognized her on sight, and convinced the others in his company that she was worth more than the clothes on her back. He'd seen to it that she was treated well, and had they been alone, Ludivine probably could have convinced him to let her go--something she quietly lamented.

"Aw, you're being considerate," Ludivine acknowledged, her smooth and flowing noblewoman's voice accented very lightly with the roughness of her southern heritage. With a warm smile on her lips even in her apparent peril, she was easy on the eyes, and her voice could be quite fetching as well, in a slightly exotic way. In some ways, it was easy to see how she'd caught the interest of the Kalician people.

In others, well...

"Or could this just be your first time binding a woman?" she jeered sharply, to muffled laughter from the bandits. To their surprise, Ludivine joined in with her own crass, hyena-like sneer, which sounded like she'd lost her breath.

"Yer a real piece o' work. Know your way around ropes, do ye?" the archer heckled back gruffly, opting to stuff a piece of bread into her mouth rather than deal with her snarky reply.

"Your rations are wasted on a blue blood like her," another bandit remarked.

"I'b hah worf ben rafens," Ludivine replied rudely with her mouthful of bread, a mockingly childlike innocence in her bright green eyes as she gratefully chewed on what felt like the first bit of food she'd had in days.

"...Is she even a noble?" the man with the short sword said skeptically.

The bandits' banter was interrupted by one of their men returning inside, immediately gathering the attention of everyone in the room. "They're here," he said simply, causing the other men to ready their weapons.

"What're their numbers like?" the archer inquired, standing up.

"About a third as many as we were expecting. No more than a dozen. We won't need the woman."

"Looks like we get to keep ye a bit longer," the archer informed Ludivine with a smug smile.

The bandits' confidence came as a blow to Ludivine's own confidence, knowing that she was no longer planned to be used as a bargaining chip. Her safety was now of even less certainty, but she tried to put on a brave face.

"I wouldn't bet on it. Do you know who you're up against?" Ludivine asked the man pointedly.

The man knelt down to her level.

"Do you?" he fired back, sharp as a knife, looking straight into Ludivine's eyes.

"You've got me there," she relented, with an honest and bemused shrug. "Called my bluff, you did."

"Yer damn right," he muttered under his breath, grabbing her hair and pulling it back roughly. "Yer blue blooded pride won't be servin' ye anymore. Learn to be a good wench and keep quiet. No more questions, aye?" he growled harshly as his sword-toting partner forced a cloth into her mouth to silence her, in preparation for the Wardens' arrival.

Ludivine offered only a whimper of an agreement in response, to which the archer ruffled her hair in approval.

It was only several minutes, though it felt like an eternity. Ludivine hung her head, putting on an air of helplessness and silent obedience, staring at the ground in front of her--but her attentions were wandering, and she was putting her mind to work. She needed the arriving party to win this battle, and, for her own survival if nothing else, needed these new arrivals to see her as an asset. Her thoughts were temporarily interrupted by the sounds of combat outside.

"THERE'S MORE!" came the thunderous voice that cued the bandits' charge.

Just like that, Ludivine was left alone in the storeroom with the lone archer. For all their confidence from before, they certainly didn't seem able to afford more than one person to keep an eye on her--and he was completely focused on taking potshots at the Wardens outside. Ludivine had accepted her capture without a fight, and fed him the stereotypes he expected. He thought of her as a fish out of water--a frightened animal. He would not expect her to be resourceful.

Like striking a match, Ludivine struck her index and middle fingers together with a small snap, and carefully started to burn through the rope binding her wrists together, using the tiniest flame she could possibly hold in her hand. Once she had her hands free, she spread her arms out to her sides and floated slowly and silently over to the archer, as if she were a puppet being lifted by strings. The archer continued taking shots, unaware of the horror show behind him.

Suddenly, the ropes that had bound her wrists were now around the man's neck.

"Pardon my earlier rudeness; I wasn't sure how to answer your question about ropes. Will this do?" came Ludivine's whisper from behind his ear. Planting her foot firmly on his back, she pushed him out into the doorway of the storehouse, into what she hoped would be the path of the Wardens' arrows as she continued to choke him out.

Fortunately for Ludivine's confidence, the Wardens had announced their presence, and their service to their king, rather loudly. Honorable knights wouldn't leave a woman who'd been kept a hostage at the side of the road. Her luck was about to take a turn for the better, as long as she could avoid taking a sword through her back, or an arrow in her neck.

[bg=white]
Jone
Interactions: @Jehuti

Jone of Black Wynnick had been all of a week as a King's Warden when she had been sent -alongside many others- on a mission. She had missed the feast and subsequently a most inspiring speech made by the King himself. One of her travelling companions had informed her so; he had been rather snide in the face of her tardiness. Jone did not mind. She was used to snide behaviour, along many other behaviours, and was not quite fond of feasts. Rich foods did not appeal to her; rather, they had a nasty habit of making her sick. When Jone retched up the kinds of foods that they served at feasts -peacocks, golden pigs, cream filled breads- she had often found herself wondering: just how was it that she were able to stomach a rotting apple but not this?

This too, was the fault of her Inguz heritage, she'd decided. The root of most, if not all, of her problems in life. She wasn't quite sure how it tied into her low-born stomach but she was convinced of it. After all, there had been times in her youth when she had been forced into eating rotting fish and worms and whatnot. Jone did not recall getting sick. At any rate, Jone was not fond of feasts at all - nor was she fond of kings, particularly. She would bend her knee like any man, yes, but the King was not a figure to be fond of. He was far from the familiarity that fondness brought, far from any affection an Inguz could give. It was almost an insulting thing for an Inguz to be fond of a king, she'd thought. Nor was he something to revere -the Creator held that title jealously- nor was he something to be feared. The King was simply the King - could ants think anything of humans?

Still, Jone did find herself thinking of the King at times. He was a young man, perhaps even younger than she was, and he was strong and impossibly noble. It was evident that he was from a different stock from men even, though whether that effect was from his clothes or his crown or his face she did not know. He was charming, or so her companions had said, and his voice powerful beyond his years. Despite all these gifts, however, Jone had realized something long ago: status meant power. The King had been blessed enough to have been born into his station just as how Jone had been into hers - albeit she was not sure that she would use the word "blessed" for her position. Had a few strings been pulled in history, Jone would have been King and he the whore.

lNZxtE2.png

From what she'd seen of Kalico, it was a far cry from home. Gone were the grimy ports and in came the lush fields and forts of childhood tales. The only thing she missed was the ocean breeze. Once you got over the stink of fish, you could smell a distant freedom in the winds. The salty taste of drowned sailors, the exhilaration of the unknown - Jone had often daydreamed of flying off into the sea. In those days, she'd never once imagined land, simply soaring over endless stretches of black water and the wind ruffling her wings and scratching in-between the feathers she could never reach. Her back hurt. Jone reached into a pouch before gingerly pulling out a bar of "Ice". She treated the medicine like a bar of gold -which it might as well have been- and shaved off small filings of it before she realized she was wearing her helm.

"Say, you a knight? I haven't seen you before." He was a young man, green enough to think that armour was exclusive to knights. His freckled head bobbed back and forth as his horse trotted along the path. It was a somewhat hypnotizing sight and Jone found herself zoning in on his eyes. Humans were lucky to have such beautiful eyes, all blues and browns and whites and greens. Hers was a dull black.

"The strong and silent type, eh? Don't worry, I've seen it before." He winked and set off ahead, presumably to find a more talkative partner. Jone resumed her attention on her current dilemma - how to take her medicine without taking off her helm? It was absolutely imperative that her human disguise remain in place but it was even more imperative to take her medicine. Her back was already aching, soon she would feel sharp stabs so deep in her she would feel them from her chest. Jone looked around her twice, thrice, before being reassured that none would pay attention to this silent rider. Quickly, Jone bent her head and lifted her helm only for her mouth to show. She lapped up the silvers of Ice like a mongrel beast.

The effects were immediate. Already her tongue was numbing and a pleasant cooling sensation spread across her body, as if someone were rubbing an ice cube over her. It was especially welcoming in the sweltering sun and the journey had become much more welcoming. All the same, Jone felt slightly jealous of the two Wardens who had left earlier to scout for inns. No doubt that they were sleeping in them too. Although her horse had been fit with a saddle, Jone was not used to this amount of riding yet. Her legs felt like deadwood; her ass had numbed long before the medicine had hit.

lNZxtE2.png

As the day had passed on, Jone had become increasingly unperturbed on taking her medicine. Her helm had come up five times by now and although it never reached passed her nose, it was still a risk she was taking. If her horse had bucked, if a rock lay in the road... her helm would have surely flown off and her secret would have been laid bare. Still, it was hot and with her helm on Jone could not feel the breeze through her hair. Sweat dripped from the bridge of her nose; her hair stuck to her face. The air she breathed in felt hot, tepid - it reminded her of the time she'd had a bag over her head. "You're quite pretty," the man had said, "but your eyes ruin it. Perhaps you could keep them shut?" To her credit, Jone had closed her eyes throughout most of their session. It was only at an unexpectedly rough pinch had she opened them in surprise - he'd gotten quite angry at that. That was when the bag had come in play. She glared at the Wardens just ahead of her and watched as their locks -one ginger, one brown- ruffled in the wind. Jone almost moaned in jealousy.

She had a few more minutes to stare hungrily at the wings rippling their cloaks, their hair, and their horses' tails before her commander called the party to a stop. 'Rest,' she thought. The word flopped meaninglessly in her mind. She played around with it in her mouth before she spit it out. "Rest. Rest!" It came as a greater pleasure to her than the medicine had. She scanned the area: a dilapidated house stood strong besides rubble and old gates. There seemed to be no river or stream she could wash her face in but perhaps here she could set up her tent. Then, Jone realized, she might be able to take off her helm and sneak in a few breathes of the cool breeze.

The shrill noise of steel on steel interrupted her plans. Her commander gave a rallying cry as they were set upon by a group of bandits. They seemed well-armed for brigands and they carried good steel - at least, good enough to create the clangs that had set the hairs and feathers on her neck on edge. Arrows whistled through the air and one came dangerously close to her horse's head. He screamed in alarm -like Jone, he too was a newcomer to the Wardens- and bolted, leaving Jone with nothing to do but to hold desperately on to the reins.
"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey," she muttered. Screaming at a horse, she'd found, would only serve to feed its panic.

Amidst the bandits streaming out from the gates, Jone pulled on the reins this way and that. Her horse brayed and bucked, almost sending her flying from her seat. She had thought herself a proficient rider in her own right but never had she had to tame a beast mindless from fear. Galloping was one thing, this was something quite different. There was no pattern to his run and he turned this way and that - whether he ran from a bandit or a tree, it made no difference. Jone was acutely aware of how she looked to her fellow Wardens and she cursed herself for it. Would that man think her a knight now?
'Probably not, Jone,' she bit her cheek.

The skirmish continued behind her. Had the commander led his charge yet? What of the caravan? Were they banding around it or spreading out? There was no time to think or see anything. All of her concentration lay on staying atop her horse lest he tossed her into the trees. Her head hurt now and she was not aware of where his rampage had brought her.
"This one's gone mad, I tell you!"

A moment later, Jone found herself on her back. The wind had been knocked out of her and despite the desperate wheezing noises she made, no air entered her lungs. She sucked desperately and earned a small breath for her efforts, only for a boot to stomp it out of her. The world went black.

lNZxtE2.png

"Huuueaawk!"
Jone awoke to find herself at the mercy of a bandit, though from the looks of it, it did not seem as if it were to be for long. Her horse had long fled his master and where he was she did not know. To her growing horror, her helm had been wrenched free. The bandit grabbed her hair roughly before pulling it to make her face the sky. She squinted. Her death would not have bothered her if this were years ago. But now? Jone wanted to cry - she had not been baptized, her crusade had ended without the conversion of a single man, she had whored and drunk and partook in all manners of heretic behaviours. Nothingness awaited her. His sword dangled downwards; its point glinted eagerly in the sunlight.

"An Inguz!"

The word revitalized her, if only for a moment. It was as if a bolt of energy had jolted within her; she had been stuck with lightning. In a flash, Jone attacked the one weakness all men carried. She had but the strength of a lowly wench but it was enough to release his grip on her hair. Jone rolled away in a most undignified manner and ran towards the only thing she could run to - shelter. Inside the house, Jone was sure she could find a small hideaway. Her rapier still hung from her belt but she could not draw it while fleeing. Her assailant had long recovered from her dirty blow and she could practically feel his breath on her neck.

As Jone turned the corner, she came face to face with another bandit.
"Fuck!" she breathed. Her mind failed to communicate with her feet; they tangled and she stumbled onto her back. She flicked her head over her shoulder to see the first bandit rapidly approaching. There was nowhere to run, then. Jone drew her rapier in an unsteady hand. As she got to her feet, however, Jone met the eyes of the woman strangling the man in front of her. Was she a part of the Wardens, then?

"Another one's coming!" she hissed. Then she realized that she was looking at her. "Don't look at me! I said, don't fucking look at me!"

[/bg]

Reactions: kixinorbit and Dusk
Why, Mihai, you foolish, foolish boy. You can't make a fish out of an eagle.

In his childhood, Mihai had asked his father for a boat. His father had responded with an old folktale; before their people learned to take human forms, they'd soared across the skies for generations until there was nothing more to see. They could not reconcile their curious nature with the limitations of their being. The story went on about an eagle who wished to explore the deepest depths of the sea. But the sea would not take him unless his feathers became scales and his wings became fins.

The elders of his tribe said they took human forms to sate their curiosity. These forms did not allow them to explore the sea as they had hoped, and inevitably, their limits turned to fears. The lessons the stories told would not matter so long as they had feathers instead of scales.

And so, soaring high above the sea, salt in his eyes, Mihai feared the sea. He'd decided upon boarding the ship that he would stay as far away from the rippling waves as he could, and took to the air instead.

That was the only reason the Inguz saw the pirates at all. His sight was good and sharp, and saw the encroaching ships long before his captain.

Mihai folded his wings and let the warm air guide him down toward the ship. Dark feathers morphed, shifted, and became smooth human skin. His talons became clumsy feet that struggled to stay balanced on the swaying ship, and his arms flapped uselessly when the last of the feathers receded. He smoothed back his hair, a deep breath satisfying his starved lungs. He rolled his shoulders. As always, some feathers always lingered on the back of his neck. He ruffled them so the air could reach his skin.

"Well equipped pirates are no good foe to face," Mihai said, his voice unfocused as if he were in a daze. "Captain? These aren't ordinary pirates. Awfully organized, I'd say."

No, he wasn't making a light of the situation, but the stress of facing combat at sea was getting to him. Perhaps he'd be allowed to take the fight to his natural element.

[fieldbox="Karhu and Sadira, #3987B0, solid, 10, Book Antiqua"]
Third of May, Year 976

We are sailing through the Bay of Osigon and are now only a fortnight from Amicyre, provided the weather holds. Thus far, we have been graced with good winds and clear skies. The voyage has been nothing short of remarkable these past days, and the Maelstrom is the most stunning vessel. I know I have gone on and on about her, but she is nothing like the riverboats we see in Sotis. I hope you aren't tiring of my sketches, but I am determined to capture the magnificent design. And the skies! Oh, how I wish you were here to see the sunset last evening! (Or that I were any kind of accomplished painter who might do such a thing justice.) I only wish I had more beautiful words to describe to you the blend of colours and how they reflected off the sea. It was as though all evening's finery had been washed both precisely and effortlessly over pearlescent glass. Even Lotus was watching the sky last evening. Though she may have just been looking for gulls...

Long, thin fingers curled lightly around a white feather quill which was scratching away on the page of an open book. Precise, slanting letters filled the page in the Southern hand, recounting more details of time spent aboard the Maelstrom. The writing paused briefly as the quill was dipped lightly into a small inkpot, then resumed. Every once in awhile, the steady hand would pause as the ship rocked, not wanting to blot any of the pages with ink. There had been a few small mishaps early on, but overall, Sadira had become quite accustomed to weathering the motions of the vessel.

Reading through the rest of his latest entry, Sadira Bahir smiled down at the book and trailed a finger absently along the outside of the page. The book, filled with blank pages of fine, smooth parchment, had been sent to him by his youngest sister. It had reached him at Lingerhold only days before the Wardens had left for the port, and it had arrived with a letter "demanding" that he fill it with tales of his travels and send it back, once the pages were complete. He had, of course, been happy to oblige. Almost a third of the book's pages had been filled with entries about sailing and visiting the port, descriptions of the vivid sunsets at sea, some sketches of the ship's deck, and even a candid portrait of Captain Merrick.

Well, almost candid. The man had eventually noticed he was being studied, and when he inquired, was highly amused to find the sketch a fair likeness of himself and had stood patiently for a few moments for some finer details to be added. He then penned his name at the bottom of the page in a rough hand.

Nairi was going to adore it.

Content with his entry, Sadira blew gently on the drying ink, then closed the book. He slipped the leather-bound volume into his satchel, exchanging it for a large scroll of thick parchment. He had been carefully marking the positions of the stars as the ventured further and further south, and was quite keen to add this chart to his collection. He hoped there would be time once he reached Amicyre to make notations, but he would make due either way.

The sun was setting and the first stars were just becoming visible in the red-tinged sky. One of the brightest stars, Coronella, shown down from its position in the east, marking the topmost point of the Crown constellation. The other points of the crown were slowly becoming more visible with the onset of evening, and Sadira gazed serenely up at them. He hadn't thought that traveling by ship would present such an excellent opportunity for charting the heavens, and he had been pleasantly surprised.

Overall, he had enjoyed the voyage thus far. He was perfectly comfortable on the water, and he'd even gotten a brief opportunity to swim when'd they'd made port on the Osigon border a few weeks back to resupply. Lotus too had seemed to rather enjoy their journey south. She had spent many evenings languidly stretched on edge of the ship's bow, watching the glimmer of fish in the water. She had made a few fishing excursions, proudly striding up and down the deck so the crew could see her trophies before tearing the fish to shreds for her dinner. Most recently, the griffin had taken to chasing gulls that flew too near the ship.

Currently, however, Sadira could just make out her lithe form further along the deck as she sat watching one of the Wardens. This was the third time he'd seen her doing something like this. Curious, he slipped the scroll back into his bag, lifted it onto a slim shoulder, and wandered down the deck toward the griffin.

The past couple of months aboard the Maelstrom had been enough to teach Karhu a few new things. How to tie a good knot, how to combat seasickness, what exactly a "starboard" was. Important lessons that not only guaranteed survival, but progress. But there was one lesson, one Karhu had only just managed to learn through sheer error and regret, that proved the most useful: why exactly you didn't give a griffin food.

"Don't give me that look. I'm going to get in trouble because of you."

The Warden leaned against the railing of the ship, one hand protectively curled around her food rations. It had started innocently enough. The occasional spare jerky here, the rare smuggled dinner scrap there. It was a small trade-off in exchange for quiet company and, occasionally, a fresh fish. But the frequency of these trades was slowly becoming more and more concerning. It reminded Karhu too much of the cats she occasionally saw in the alleyways, tails flicking impatiently as they awaited dinner scraps to be thrown out. Except this griffin simply wasn't like those cats. She was smarter, sneakier, and, quite frankly, very intimidating.

Karhu remained forthright, her face remaining a stubborn frown of disapproval. It wasn't long before cracks began to creep over her mask. Her eyes locked onto the griffin's, and the Inguz's shoulders slumped in defeat over the five-second mental battle. She muttered a low swear that would've surely earned her more than a few swats from her mother, and lowered the hand guarding her bag. "I suppose just a little bit won't hurt," she relented. "There should be some sausages left over from breakfast."

As Karhu rummaged through her bag, her nose twitched at an approaching scent and her dark eyes lifted to meet Sadira's approaching form. The fur along her arms bristled in a brief moment of panic, her face flashing into an expression not unlike a child getting caught stealing pie. She'd seen the Warden around a few times--enough to know his name at the very least--and he seemed friendly enough. Still, you could never quite know who was ally or foe until tested, and Karhu couldn't help but fear that her clandestine deals with the griffin would earn her the latter. Another tumble of curses spilled from Karhu's mouth as her hands fumbled, accidentally dropping and scattering the food around her. She groaned. So much for subtlety. She lifted her gaze towards the approaching Warden, her face a frozen look of sheepishness.

Drawing nearer to where Lotus was sitting, Sadira could see that she was with the Warden he knew as Karhu. She seemed a pleasant woman, and Sadira smiled at her as he stepped up alongside the griffin, who was eagerly snatching food from the deck. Realizing what Lotus was up to a moment too late, he watched as she devoured the remains of, what appeared to be, Karhu's food rations.

"Lotus!" he called sharply, and the griffin froze with half a sausage protruding from her beak. "Excuse you. Have you been harassing this young woman for food?"

Lotus remained still for another moment, as though she were considering. Then, with a quick tip of her sleek head, she swallowed the rest of the sausage, then turned to stare at her rider, a sweet and almost puzzled expression in her large amber eyes.

"You, miss," he said with a look, half amusement, and half exasperation, "are incorrigible" He turned to Karhu with an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry about that," he said, "she can be quite, ah, persistent when it comes to food. Feed her a scrap one time and I'm afraid she'll expect full meals on the daily from then on," he laughed quietly then shook his head. "May I offer you anything in return? If you're short on rations, she's an adequate fisher-- or I would be happy to share my rations with you."

The tension in Karhu's shoulders eased ever so slightly at Sadira's friendly tone. He wasn't mad at her. That was an improvement at the very least. Karhu bent down to gather her bag and upended the now-empty pack with a sigh. "Don't worry," she said. "It's no issue at all. Really." The young woman paused for a moment, considered his words carefully, and allowed herself a small smile. "Although, I'm not entirely opposed to extra fish here and there."

"Well," replied Sadira with another smile, "we'd be happy to share. Next time she goes fishing, I'll find you? I'd love to get to know more of the Wardens, and company for dinner is welcomed." He'd been about to direct the conversation back to how Karhu had first met Lotus, but the approach of a scout cause him to fall silent.

Karhu's attention flickered from the young man to the figure of a landing Avian Inguz. Usually, she paid little attention to the goings-on of others unless interesting, but there was something about the scout's demeanor that piqued her interest. Her eyes followed the nervous scout head towards the captain, watching the distant conversation carefully. Any words said were drowned out by distance and the roaring of waves, but that didn't erase the prickle of unease crawling down her spine. Frowning softly, she sent a concerned, puzzled look towards Sadira, but any other thoughts on the matter remained unvoiced.

"Something tells me he doesn't have good news," Sadria said quietly, his eyes on the scout and the captain as Commander Risna turned and strode briskly away. "I think we should go report in."

Curious, Lotus followed the pair to where the captain now stood giving orders.

[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusk
The Maelstrom Upper Deck
@DinoFeather & @Rook
Featuring: Lauchlan, Kenna, & Brennan

The sun was slowly sinking over the Bay of Osigon and a wash of red and purple coloured the sunset, reflecting off the jewel-bright waters. It was a truly stunning view, though Lauchlan was sore pressed to appreciate its beauty at the moment. Currently, he was leaning heavily against the side of the deck, willing himself not to be sick. Again.

The light breeze was beginning to ease the dizziness that was plaguing him, but he knew as soon as he went back below deck to the crew quarters, he'd be right back where he started. The constant rocking of the ship and the hot, close quarters were making him almost constantly ill. Add to that the smell of over a hundred people crammed in a too-small space and the situation was nothing short of hellish. Honestly, he didn't understand how more people weren't sick.

There were some days, when the ship was steady and the breeze was cool, when Lauchlan wasn't a complete mess. He tried to take advantage of these occasions, training and getting what exercise he could while confined to the ship. Early on, he'd made the mistake of trying to read a tattered old book he'd picked up in Portsmouth- the effort of which made him so sick, he seriously considered flinging himself overboard.

And it wasn't the last time he'd considered it.

At least we'll be making port soon, he told himself. Almost there. Almost there.

It was a sort of mantra he'd adopted once he'd been informed that they were past the halfway point, and it was one of the few things preventing him from diving overboard and swimming the rest of the way to Amicyre.

He had half a mind to request a permanent station on the island just to avoid return voyage once the mission was complete, though that would mean living in the pestilential heat for the rest of his days. If he did end up making the return voyage, no urging from Kenna, or even Akard himself, would ever get him back onto a ship.

Perhaps they could drop him in Balefall on their way back and he could walk the rest of the way to Morcrest.

The breeze was picking up and, coupled with the vanishing sun, was finally dropping the temperature to a more tolerable level. Despite having exchanged his furs for lighter clothing, Lauchlan was still uncomfortably warm—though he knew it was only going to get worse the farther south they went.

With a small sigh, he straightened and stretched scarred arms up over his head, glancing about the deck. There were various Wardens scattered throughout the crew on deck, though the majority of them were below in their quarters. The captain was having a discussion of some sort with a small handful of people, all of whom looked amused.

A gentle sway of the ship accompanied Kenna's footfall as she made another round across the deck of the Maelstrom. Unable to scout the waters, there wasn't a great deal for her to do while she and her companions remained at sea. A portion of her time had been spent directing the units with flight, still, most her hours remained free. Not someone who enjoyed a great deal of leisure time, Kenna had asked Commander Risna for any other duties she might pick up while at sea. As a result, Kenna was assigned the task of keeping an extra eye on some of the more problematic Wardens. Those weren't the commander's exact words, but that was how the elf had understood it.

She was in search of one of these charges when she caught sight of Lauchlan on the edge of the upper deck. The elf had caught glimpses of him about the Maelstrom before, but every time it had been an inopportune moment to interact. She was a little surprised to see him on deck-- she had expected he would do his best to avoid such a warm place. Not that she was disappointed by his presence.

"Lauchlan," Kenna greeted. "Seems we don't have to wait until another time." She paused a second then added. "You don't look well-- heat taking its toll?"

Turning as he heard his name called, Lauchlan was mildly surprised to find Kenna approaching him. He'd spotted her several times throughout the journey, though he'd usually been too ill to have any desire to speak to anyone.

"Heat. Ship. Sea," he said, rubbing a hand over the back of his sweat-damp neck, "whole damn voyage. And," he gave her a curious look as he braced a hand on the side of the deck, "I'm still not quite sure how I ended up here instead of Kalico."

"I know they were more selective regarding the talents of Wardens sent to Kalico," the woman offered. "But I'm not privy to assignment specifics outside of my division." Had Kenna wanted details, she could have pursued them, but even then she would have had to wait until she returned to Lingerhold or otherwise request special communication. "I also know we need greater manpower at Amicyre." Afterall, three ships in addition to the Wardens already at Mouldermouth were in stark contrast to the three dozen headed to Kalico.

"I-- yes," Lauchlan said with a small nod, "I figured as much." He wasn't really sure what else to say in response. His attempt to be lighthearted had been rather a failure, and now he was at a bit of a loss. And, he thought, now it seemed as though he was questioning orders. A sinking sort of feeling settled in his stomach that had little to do with the rocking of the ship. "Well," he said, trying to recover, "at least manpower is something I can assist with."

Brennan had been out on the deck, enjoying the fair weather, when the scout commander surfaced on deck. He imagined she had come looking for him, as she tended to regularly check up on him since the voyage had started. Kenna didn't seem to like him a great deal, however, he was aware she was in the habit of watching out for him regardless. He imagined it was because of the connection his family held with the Wardens. The King had likely taken extra precautions to prevent any potential of that connection waning. After all, behind the Graces, it was House Copernicus which offered the most coin in support of the Wardens, much to his father's chagrin.

The young lord watched as Kenna went over and talked with a man of imposing height, and she greeted him with a name Brennan hadn't heard in awhile. He waited a moment until there was a lull in the conversation before he engaged the two. Kenna's eyes flitted from Lauchlan as the younger man approached.

"Pardon my intrusion," he said. "Did I hear correctly? Are you Lauchlan-- the Lauchlan?"

Lauchlan, half startled to be hailed twice in such a short span of time, glanced around to face the approaching Warden. "Uh," he started, unsure. The young man had put a strong emphasis on "the" and Lauchlan felt as though he must be searching for someone else. "Well, my name is Lauchlan…"

"I'm Brennan Copernicus-- Ignatius' younger brother? He speaks highly of a Lauchlan and I'm pretty sure that's you? You have a northern accent." Although in fairness, Brennan didn't actually know just how common of a name Lauchlan was in the northern areas. Maybe there were multiple Wardens with that name, he wasn't sure. However, he'd never heard it before. "You're a lot taller than I imagined," the young lord added. Especially standing next to the elf commander, he thought but did not say aloud.

"Yes." Lauchlan arched dark eyebrows at the young man. "I mean, I know Ignatius." He blinked. He had no idea that the man had mentioned him to anyone, but he vaguely recalled the mage having a younger brother interested in joining the Wardens. "Oh." People didn't generally comment on his accent and he found himself suddenly very aware of it. "I grew up in Norboro, so…" Trailing off, he glanced at Kenna, hoping she might intervene and redirect the conversation. He really didn't want to talk about his height. Honestly, he didn't really want to talk about much of anything, as he was beginning to feel sick again. When Kenna said nothing, Lauchlan looked hesitantly back at the young man. "It's nice to meet you," he said, somewhat lamely. "Uh… How is your brother doing?"

"He's the same as usual, still recovering from taking ill earlier this year, despite his poor health he's convinced he can do everything." Brennan shrugged. "So you're from Norboro? It's really cold there, isn't it? I've never been that far north. This is the furthest from Morcrest I've been, actually. Is it---"

"Something's wrong," Kenna interrupted before the lord could finish his statement. Since Brennan's arrival, she had tuned out of the conversation and been focusing on an interaction taking place in the distance. She could tell by Risna's face something was amiss. She knew the scout who reported as well and the fact that Captain Merrick was also there could only signal trouble.

At Kenna's words, Lauchlan followed the elf's gaze to where Risna stood, talking hurriedly with Captain Merrick. "You're right," he said quietly. "We should go."

"Agreed." Without another second to delay she started over toward the trio right about when the bloomed apart and became an abomination of god. Brennan, having fallen silent at the sudden severity started up behind her not long after. Kenna stopped short just before crossing paths with her commander, the woman was quick to give the scout her command.

"There are pirates on the horizon," commander Risna informed. "Assemble your better archers and take them up to the poop deck." Without waiting for an affirmation, the Lieutenant-Commander marched onward.​

lBj2QH9.png

In collaboration with @malina
Featuring Jone and Ludivine
Ludivine was bewildered to see the new arrival shout at her so fiercely--and for what? Noticing that she was an Inguz? ...Probably? Truthfully, she couldn't even tell for sure. Perhaps the woman was simply out of her wits on something.

"Help. Me," she grunts through grit teeth, struggling to keep the bandit under her control. He'd made drawing a bowstring look so effortless. She'd underestimated his strength, miscalculated. A miscalculation that was going to cost her life if this loudmouthed stranger didn't step in. Her brief moment of bewilderment had been enough. The bandit drew a knife, and cut himself free.

Jone stabbed him in the neck. It was easier than she'd thought it'd be—it almost felt like stabbing a particularly tough piece of pork. When she pulled out her rapier, he coughed blood onto her face. It tasted visceral. Jone swore that she could taste his life, his memories, all he was and would be on her lips. She swallowed before ending his gurgling with another stab. He slumped over—an occasional wheeze accentuated with bubbles of blood escaped his lips every now and then.

Presuming the archer dealt with, Ludivine turned her attention away from the bloodbath going on next to her. She looked instead to the doorway. The second bandit the Warden had warned her about had turned into three, and something told her that being outnumbered was the least of her worries. Ordinary ruffians could be frightened away with a little fire magic, but not these men, she suspected--and she didn't exactly have the utmost confidence in her temporary partner in crime, either.

"This way!" Ludivine grabbed Jone's arm and pulled her toward the corner of the storehouse. With a fancy flip in the air, she leapt up through the hole in the collapsed roof and landed on the stone wall. How-?!

"Hurry!" she cried urgently, lowering her rope for Jone to grab. She couldn't possibly be serious, could she?

The ice had hit Jone harder than she'd thought. The roof was near double her height; no human could hope to touch it. And yet this girl stood above her, beckoning for her to climb. Perhaps it was a fever dream—she'd experienced a few before—but those had been other medicines...
"No time," she mumbled to herself. The shouting behind them was growing louder. She clumsily shoved her rapier back into its scabbard—mentally crying over the cleaning she'd have to do later—and grabbed onto the rope. Her boots scuffed on the wall, trying to find a hold on something, anything. Her arms burned and strained in their sockets and a new sweat trickled down her back until, for the second time that day, Jone was pulled over the wall and onto the ground.

With a final strained groan, Ludivine practically fell off the wall, onto the wet grass next to her unlikely savior. Safely outside the encampment, the outer stone walls dampened the sounds of steel on steel, and the bewildered shouting of the bandits inside the storehouse. The loudest thing Jone could hear was Ludivine hyperventilating on the ground.

"Heh," Ludivine breathed, once the shouting started to sound farther away. "So, you're an Inguz... and I'm a mage. Now we both have a secret," she said with a sly but reassuring grin.

As if that could make them even.

"Don't fucking call me that," Jone snapped. Her cheeks were flushed and the taste of blood was strong in her mouth—whether it was hers or the bandit's was hard to tell.

She allowed herself a moment to breathe. The ice was wearing off and she was unbearably hot in her garb. She fumbled around her pouches before recovering a block of ice. It slipped between her fingers and she picked it up with a curse. The delicate thing had left some on the grass below but she wasn't desperate enough to pick them off the floor. However, she was just cranky enough to forgo using a knife—Jone broke off a chunk and swallowed. She knew that she'd regret it soon—not only would the high last shorter but she'd wake with a sore throat.

Ludivine again wondered if the woman's black eyes were not inhuman, but if her pupils were just that dilated from whatever she was on. There had also been the... impressive display of violence not a moment ago. She had to fight her own body not to shudder at the thought of being on the receiving end of this woman's wrath. Her confidence was rattled; as a noble child, she'd grown up surrounded by sociopaths, and had picked up a few of their tricks for the sake of her own survival, but she'd never had to deal with anything quite like this. She recalled the few times the Duke had summoned her while inebriated, but all she'd had to do then was bite her pillow and wait for it to end. She wasn't sure how to deal with this. She decided to stay quiet unless spoken to, for now. That always seemed to work with the Duke.

"You should not have seen me like this," she sniffed. Jone packed the medicine back into her pouch, thought about cleaning her rapier, then stood up. She thought about calling her "lady" or whatever other fancy titles knights used but the words died in her throat. This stranger knew what she was—was there a point to this facade any longer?

Insecurity—there was something Ludivine could get a foothold in. She decided against praising the woman's throat-stabbing skills.

"What are you worried about? You rescued a damsel in distress. You're the most knightly knight that ever knighted. Your commander should be proud of you,"
Ludivine assured her with a smile. Staying on this knight's good side was going to be important—regardless of whatever her rank turned out to be, as she'd just discovered.

"You're kind," Jone said stiffly.

That went well. But Ludivine was not known for giving up. She'd try something different. Assert a little noblewomanly authority. If she seemed unintimidated by the commander, perhaps that would help ease her worries.

"Just hold your head high, puff out your chest, and tell him you rescued the hostage. No apology, no excuses. Just give your report and let me, your partner in crime, handle the rest. If your commander gives you any lip, he'll get an earful from me. Ahuhu~" Ludivine gives Jone a wily giggle.

This "hostage" was a strange girl, even for a stranger. Most of the strangers Jone had met on the road had been simple folk—farmers and shepherds and woodsmen. This one was a mage. And just like the King, she was bred out of something far more rich than the common-folk. Jone chewed on a few mint leaves for a minute and spat out a green, bloody wad. Her breath still stunk of blood—only now with a slight tinge of freshness.

"I don't think anyone's to believe me, Lady." My Lady was much too familiar for an Inguz. "Everyone saw that thing with my horse. But enough of that—you must not tell anyone about... what I am. Do you understand?" The thought of it made her sick to her stomach and mad enough that her hand twitched towards her rapier. Even though she had assured her that it would be their secret, Jone found it hard to believe. Her knightly pretense faded and Jone the whore spoke roughly to the stranger. "I mean that—I fucking mean it! You tell anyone and I'll shove this sword up your cunt. I mean that too. Now help me find my helm. Lady."

Hearing such foul verbal abuse was nothing new to Ludivine. Knowing that it was no empty threat? That was a new feeling.

"You don't mince words. I can appreciate that." Ludivine wasn't exactly lying; as a noble, she was used to having to find the hidden meaning in empty words, and dish out her own. Speaking directly was always refreshing. She just omitted the part where she didn't appreciate a woman addressing her with such crass language.

"Rather than finding your helm, why don't I just make your eyes appear like mine? If that's all you want to hide, then that's easy." Ludivine raises her hand up and shows Jone a reflection of her face using her magic. It was just like she'd said: Jone's eyes were green, just like hers. "I'm an illusionist. A trick of the light like that is no tall order."

The look on Jone's face told Ludivine all she needed to know. A useful friend was a good friend. The knight was all hers.

[fieldbox="Ansley Norcott, Purple"]Kalico's Favor
Ansley reached for the leather waterskin at his side while he wiped the sweat from his forehead with the other arm, the sun had been beating down on them since it first peaked over the hills in the distance, although a long cry from the intensity of Balefall's heat it was oppressive enough, and had proven it was only just warming up.

Ansley eagerly pulled the clasp off the waterskin and selfishly lifted it to his lips, the lukewarm ale contained within pouring messily into his mouth and over the edges of his lips. They had been fortunate enough to spend the previous night at a roadside inn which had afforded Ansley the opportune chance to refill his waterskin with something stronger than creek water, of which he was grateful for. He gingerly took the waterskin from his lips and placed the clasp back in it's place before letting it dangle once more at his side. He breathed out softly, the taste of the ale seeming to roll over his taste buds once more as he did, causing him to long for the waterskin only moments after putting it back at his side.

'I always hated the rides...' he thought as he tapped the side of the waterskin to figure what was left of the ale. He considered how long it'd be until they made another inn, or better yet a town with a wider selection of spirits, and decided to leave the rest of the ale for later, 'Or tonight.' he thought as a sly grin grew on his face.

As much as he disliked riding, he had grown quite fond of the Northern lands, much of which he only had had a chance to look upon on horse back. Something about the green fields and the rolling hills had always set Ansley slightly at ease, although he had a nagging suspicion that it may have been the distinct lack of sand that brought about his calm, he was grateful for it nonetheless.

The group had halted while Ansley was lost in his own thoughts, which to him meant an inn, which meant ale, and possibly a pretty women or two. His hopes were dashed however when the sounds of combat rang from within the encampment that had been their true reason for stopping. He pulled the reins of the horse to his left and it obediently turned to face the ramparts of the encampment. He counted at least six coming from within the walls and more within.

The Commander yelled back to the group, many of which responded immediately to charge the bandits that were bearing down on them.

As Ansley watched from a bit back his horse shied away as an arrow stuck itself in the ground a few meters ahead, which caused Ansley to smile wide, ⟓I hate archers.⟔ he said in Southern before biting his feet into the side of the horse and sent it rearing for the broken gates of the encampment. Ansley's horse did a good job to avoid hitting any of the bandits that were already engaged or too stunned to do anything as it galloped past right past them, and came to a surprisingly hard halt as it made it past the gate. His ride complete Ansley undid the lashings that were holding his maul to the left side of the saddle and it fell to the ground with a deep thud.

Swinging his right leg over the horse he dropped to the ground in front of his maul and hefted it into his arms. Ansley turned back to the horse and smacked its rear sending it running off, 'You'd better come back.' he thought, the idea of having to explain how he had lost a horse to the Commander was less than an ideal situation and one he'd rather avoid, but it was something he would deal with later.

"AGGGGGGGH"

Ansley swiveled to meet the sound as a bandit closed on him, his sword lifted high into the air to come down in a heavy blow. Ansley grinned and brought the maul to his left side before jabbing its heavy head out like a spear directly into the bandits wide open stomach, the sound of his foe loosing every ounce of breath in his body and the sword clattering to the mud behind him was enough to tell Ansley that he had already won this short fight. He pulled the maul back into himself and the bandit fell to his knees in front of him as he desperately tried to breath, "Can't catch your breath?!" Ansley sadistically mused as he brought the maul wide and swung it square for the bandits head.

There was a resounding crack and a good amount of blood as the maul connected with the bandits skull, the gruesome moment over he turned to the dilapidated walls of the encampment and spotted a set of stone stairs that lead up it's side when he heard the sound of another man creeping up behind him, "So you want to end up like your friend I take it!" he yelled as he turned around to face the bandit. He was a younger man, early twenties perhaps and scared to death by the looks of it. Ansley gave the boy a laugh and jested in the direction of his dead comrade, brains strewn across the dirt from the hit he had taken from his maul. The young bandit seemed to hesitate and turn to look back to the gates and the fight taking place outside.

Ansley knew a chance when it presented itself. Putting his might behind his maul, he swung for the boys legs. The bandit turned back in time to hear Ansley huff and then promptly find himself laying on the ground as his legs refused to follow what he wanted to do.

"Stay there boy! Maybe we'll spare you!" Ansley laughed, "It's not like you could get anywhere even if you tried!" he spoke as he took his gaze away from the boys shattered legs and turned back to the stairwell.

Quickly reaching the top of the palisade wall, Ansley set his sights on the closest archer who had just knocked another arrow and was taking aim. Ansley switched his grip on the maul in order to hit the archer from behind and took a few steps forward as he hefted the heavy weapon up and began to swing it from behind his back. The Archer loosed his arrow and reached behind himself to grab a new one when he took notice of the man standing to his right, his eyes went wide just a moment before Ansley's maul sent the man careening over the edge of the wall and out in to the small engagement at the front of the encampment.

Ansley bellowed out laughter from atop the wall as the archers body hit the ground with a satisfying smack before he continued making his way along the wall toward the next nearest of the archers.

[/fieldbox]

VhcwYlm.png

Kalico Party: Kwirkel, Lareira, Ansley, Ludivine, Jone

Nyharis just managed to dodge his adversary's attack before the second man moved in for a strike. Sharpness along his shoulder told him of his wound before he had any realisation of pain. Shit. Blood began to drip down his arm as he moved to avoid another attack from the other bandit. With a successful lung, the scout landed a counterstrike on one of the two men. It wasn't enough to end the bandit's advance, but it was enough to slow him down. They had taken a position which kept Nyharis on his toes, dancing about in avoidance as he bid his time until an opportunity presented itself-- such opportunities were proving a rarity. Rather than luck, however, it was the thunder of hooves which finally gave him the chance he needed.

Jautice barreled by on his steed, striking the already wounded bandit with a blow destructive enough to take the man out of the running. Without wasting another moment, Nyharis sprung upon the remaining of the bandits, digging his blade deeply into the man's neck. The man exhaled and took a step back. The bandits were falling quickly, quite so, in fact. Yet, they weren't incompetent, everything about them showed a solid mind for tactics, at the very least.

The southerner shoved the corpse away from him with his boot, eying the dead man skeptically. He had started backing away after Jautice had displaced his friend. No more were approaching him, in fact, they seemed to be rethinking their ambush. There was a particular man who stood out to Nyharis, a man who hadn't rushed into the heart of the fighting and who remained several paces back. He was adorned with gear of a finer quality than the rest and appeared to be surveying the scene with scrutiny.

Nyharis drew one of the blades from his belt and sent it soaring in the direction of the nearest traitorous bandit. The knife found its lodging in the bandit's arm, causing the man to stagger and slow down, however, after he checked himself, he kept going. His fingers were already gripping the leather handle of another knife when Jautice raised a hand to stop him.

"Wait." The commander called over as he brought his steed to reign near the scout. "HALT! DON'T PURSUE!" Jautice bellowed to his Wardens, causing at least one who had been giving chase to stop quickly. Nyharis raised a brow at his commander but said nothing. He thought the world would be better off without their sort in it. With the wardens halting their pursuit, the rest of the bandits quickly escaped from the encampment and walls and fled out of sight. The sound of panicked horses and galloping indicated that at least some of them had hidden rides.

"Check for wounded!" the Commander commanded.

"Yes, sire." Nyharis said before departing to examine the scene. There was only one critically wounded Warden and half a dozen others with less severe wounds, some were only scratches while others definitely needed tending sooner rather than later, however, it didn't seem like any of the wounds would result in any Warden deaths. The scout's own wound was more unpleasant than it was detrimental, and he was pleased to find his arm still functioned as needed, despite the discomfort it caused him to move it. The bandits had not been so lucky, Nyahris counted six dead and only one still alive on the scene. He was a younger man, a boy really, with a mangled mess where his legs had once been. Though spared from his traitorous comrades, his situation could not be more dire. Nyharis decided to approach the boy and see if he could pry any information out of him.

While Nyharis approached the youth, Jautice's attention was claimed by something else—a griffin knight crashed onto the scene, a blast of dirt and debris announcing his arrival. Blackened armour adorned this man, with a regal blue cape and a large halberd in his hands; his griffin was equally impressive, with blackened plate and studded, dark leather protecting the massive beast as it surveyed the surroundings. An extravagant gold and blue coat of arms was centered on both his and the griffin's chestplate. A second and third knight circled overhead before splitting off, the former landing outside the palisade gate and the latter soaring away, presumably to give chase to the bandit group. The giant griffon approached Jautice and the caped knight took off his helmet. He was a seasoned man with hard features and a large scar across his left cheek. His black hair had streaks of grey, and his facial hair had a grey stripe down the center. However, as soon as his helmet was off, his stoic face broke into a friendly smile.

"Hail to you, travellers!" His voice was coarse and commanding, but one could notice his effort in sounding accommodating. "I am Rolant Brychard, Griffin Knight of Kalico. Corlin spotted you earlier," he aimed his halberd at the griffin rider patrolling the gate, "and it was thanks to his attention that we arrived to help. Although, by the looks of things, it was unnecessary worry!" Brychard chuckled as he surveyed the carnage.

Jautice was not certain why Sir Brychard had chosen to approach him, perhaps the man had noticed the emblems he sported on his own armour, or maybe it was just because he was the only Warden still on a horse. Whatever the case, the Commander was not pleased by the Kalician's lightheartedness at such a scene, but he made sure to keep any outward displays of his opinion from surfacing. "Thank you, sir. I appreciate your arrival. However, we are a plenty capable company."

The other knight, Corlin, approached the two. Unlike Brychard's massive armored griffin, Corlin's griffin was more reasonable: lightly armoured with chain and leather, and comparable in size to a horse. His own armour and weapon, however, was comparable to Brychard's. "There are no signs of reinforcements or reorganization attempts—They appear to have truly retreated. Wulfrid must be hunting them as we speak." Corlin spoke with a regal, androgynous voice through his helmet.

"Mmh. Understood. See if you can't stop Wulfid from killing them all—I want to know how they were able to set this up without anyone knowing."

"At once," Corlin answered. He gave a slight bow to Jautice in place of a goodbye and then commanded his griffin to take off.

Brychard watched Corlin circle the group before soaring off in the direction the last knight, Wulfrid, went. When Corlin was out of sight, Brychard fixed his gaze on Jautice. "On behalf of Kalico and her Queen, I offer our deepest apologies." He bowed his head forward, as did his griffin after a cursory glance at its rider. "Our pride has been struck deeply by the appearance of these bandits, and I promise you that we will not rest until we discover the origin of this group and prevent this from ever happening again."

"How gracious, I accept your apology," Jautice replied. "I admit I was surprised to find bandits along Kalico's roads." He felt a touch of satisfaction when he saw his words caused the insensitive knight to flinch, but he prevented his expression from changing. "I wish you luck in discovering what drove these raiders to such desperation."

"I appreciate your tolerance. If I may be honest, this is the first bandit attack since… well, even before I was a knight. There's not many men foolish enough to try attacking heavily guarded caravans with soldiers only a short ride away," he sneered at the nearby fallen bandits. After a moment of thinking followed by a hushed curse, he turned back to Jautice.

"With the appearance of these bandits, the roads are no longer safe. Although you have proven your strength, I must inform you to depart southeast towards the city of Castow. I understand that is the direction you came from and quite a detour, but they will be able to offer you better protection than I."

"Thank you for your suggestion, sir," Jautice's voice was pleasant despite his quickly growing distaste for the man. "However, our course is set for Dunstan and as this encounter shows, we are more than capable of handling any bandits."

"Be that as it may, these lowly bandits may be heralds of yet greater peril and I will be needed elsewhere. However, I will not allow you to travel these roads without escort," Brychard warned with more authority in his voice. His griffin sensed his tension and jerked its giant head towards Jautice, eyeing him cautiously.

Jautice was quick to pick up on the man's change in bearing, the Lord had spent a good many years at court and he was no stranger to subtleties of conversation. 'Brychard' was not a name he recalled hearing before, thus, the man guessed this man wasn't of an especially elevated status. However, that did not mean he wasn't someone who needed to be kept on civil terms. After all, Akard had stressed the need for diplomacy and caution on this mission-- Kalico was notorious about its complicated political schemes and balance of power.

"There must be a way we can continue onward?" The Commander urged, doing his best to meet this man's wishes without losing all the distance they had made so far.

Brychard sighed and furrowed his brow in thought for a long moment. "There is a city not a day's travel to the north, Leneheim," he finally answered. "Duke Guiscard is currently at his manor there, and he is destined for Dunstan as well. If you can get an audience with him and plead your case, you may be able to accompany him."

"Thank you, sir Brychard, that is quite an invitation. After my men recover, we shall depart immediately."

"I'll send one of my men to guide you. It's not a difficult or long journey, but understand I must ensure you head only to Leneheim."

"As you wish," Jautice confirmed. He wondered if sir Brychard's particular behaviour would be better or worse if he knew he was speaking with a member of House Grace. "Thank you for your assistance," he said, not feeling thankful or assisted by the man's behavior. With a nudge of his heel into his blood-speckled stallion, he pulled the steed around to face the majority of the Wardens. "You have thirty minutes to gather your things and tend to the wounded, men! I want to reach town before nightfall!"
lBj2QH9.png

RXCdI4G.png

Maelstrom Party: Lauchlan, Sadira, Lotus, Wicker, Jericho, Mihai, Karhu, Shereen

Five ships of various makes and sizes could be seen on the horizon if one were to look, however, most the occupants on the Maelstrom and her escorting vessels were otherwise occupied preparing for the impending conflict. The distant ships had the wind at their back and would be upon them soon.

"Werian in front!" The lookout called, examining the ships through his spyglass. "Along with two, no three Fleches. The one trailing the pack is… a Boask!"

"Boask?!" Captain Merrick yelled back incredulously. While the presence of a Werian-class ship in the hands of pirates was a little disturbing, the three Fleche-class ships were old models—undoubtedly retrofitted by the pirates. The Boask-class, however, was a floating antique; large, cumbersome, slow, and barely sea-worthy. It would make excellent target practice, but Merrick refused to believe the pirates didn't already know this. He struggled to decipher the pirates' thought process to even deign bringing such a vessel in open sea combat. Preferring to err on the side of caution, Merrick began barking orders to the crew; men manned the cannons, tended to the riggings, secured the cargo, and other tasks they were trained for as they followed Merrick's orders.

Only a moment after he began ordering his crew, a brown-winged avian landed besides him and quickly morphed into a humanoid figure. Merrick understood that a lot of avian inguz weren't keen on staying onboard, but he gave them a pass as they made fine scouts. This one seemed to have a keen eye on the pirate's equipment and organization. Merrick gave a hearty scoff, "So they have teeth, aye? At least it won't be a boring fight!"

Unlike the cautious Merrick, Lieutenant-Commander Risna didn't slow down for a minute, even after her brief encounter with the Lead Scout, Kenna. She was already heading to her next objective the second after the woman acknowledged her orders, but she was disrupted when two Wardens approached her: one was a lithe man she recognized as Sadira Bahir while the other was an unknown woman. Following along with the duo was a griffin. Risna was about to speak to the trio when a loud call rang across the deck.

"Captain!" The lookout cried without pulling his eye away from the spyglass. "The Boask, it…!"

All heads turned towards the enemy ships to witness a massive mushroom of smoke rising from the furthest pirate vessel.

"They blew themselves up!" One of the Wardens laughed, causing a cascade of chuckles and scoffs to echo from the deck. Merrick and Risna, however, couldn't quiet a sinking dread that burrowed itself deep inside them.

"Shut up!" Merrick yelled out, sweat beading on his brow. The smoke came from no fire Merrick knew of. As the white cloud rose from the enemy ship, a soft whistle was heard from the sky. Even as the rest of his crewmen hushed each other as they searched for the source, Merrick refused to look away from the Boask. When the plume of smoke finally pulled completely off the Boask, when the whistling grew louder and harsher, when Merrick finally saw the enemy ship completely unharmed, he understood why he felt that sinking dread. Before he could raise his voice, a loud explosion deafened the ship, a ball of fire bursting in the air a small distance off the port side. Merrick looked just in time to see the molten shards fall from the fireball and pepper the ocean below. The entire ship was frozen in shock.

"WELL, ARE YA WAITIN' FOR PERMISSION?!" Merrick shouted coarsely, reviving the crew with a newfound fervour. Crewman scrambled to their stations with renewed determination, but some were still paralyzed by indecision and awe from what they witnessed.

Merrick's bellowing call was the last event to keep Risna's attention before she turned back to the Wardens in front of her. "You, flier" She addressed the light-haired man, "You'll follow me and you there--" She looked at the woman, "Report to Lead Scout Kenna," the woman gestured across the deck toward the area she had last spotted the woman. "Short elf woman." Risna did not bother to ask if the inguz was familiar with the woman, she didn't have time to waste on small details. The Commander did not wait around for a response before she marched off toward Captain Merrick.

"You there," she said, addressing the inguz near the captain. "You'll be joining a team of fliers," she gestured also to Lord Bahir to indicate he was included in her statement. "The pirates likely have their own fliers, so we'll need to keep them away from our ships and mages."

Satisfied with her order, she turned to Captain Merrick, "The Wardens will keep the skies clear."

"And the Maelstrom'll keep ya'll afloat," he responded with an eager grin. The two nodded in agreement before continuing shouting orders to their respective groups. Avian Inguz flew from the Maelstrom to the other escort ships and detailed Merrick's orders. Risna was gathering two groups of Wardens, those who could fight in the skies and those who will repel the boarding attempts. Risna did not doubt Merrick's skill in naval combat, but these were pirates: they fought dirty, and the Maelstrom would be a tantalizing prize.
lBj2QH9.png
Featuring:
Nyharis Bavarra, Lord Jautice Grace, Rolant Brychard, Corlin, Captain Merrick, Risna (present)
Mihai, Sadira Bahir, Karhu, Lotus (directly addressed)
Wulfrid, Duke Guiscard, Kenna (mentioned)

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=7][COLOR=#ffff4d][I][B][U]Pirates in the South[/U][/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

The fur along Karhu's arms bristled as the explosion confirmed her grave fears. The smoke filled the air like a foreboding cloud, the flames of the attack casting a harsh glow of heat and panic. Act. Karhu's body felt frozen in fear, a thousand thoughts running through her mind but none fully there. Move. Panic seized her chest. Familiar flares of grim imaginings, wondering if this was how she died. GO.

The shout of the captain seized the Inguz's drifting mind, dragging her back down to the reality of the situation. Karhu blinked hard and swallowed the knot in her throat. Right. Focus first, break down later. She could do this. She had to do this. Karhu barely managed to catch Risna's orders, managing a stiff nod as her eyes swept over the surrounding crewmembers. Lead Scout Kenna, was it? That was a familiar name. Not in the sense of tight camaraderie--she'd yet to find one of those here, but that Sadira fellow seemed a likely candidate--but one caught in brief mentions in-between orders and conversations. She caught sight of a short, Elven woman fitting the vague description and, silently praying she had the right person, made a beeline towards her.

A blast of heat blew back over the ship as the thunderous explosion erupted just shy of the vessel. Lauchlans's ears were still ringing with the sudden sound and feeling as though wool had been forced into them. His ears were, however, the least of his worries, and for a moment he stared at where the flames had been before turning to spare a glance at Kenna. She looked as startled as he felt, though neither of them spoke.

He, admittedly, knew little of pirates, but he hadn't imagined they would have that kind of weaponry. Judging by the reactions of the captain and crew, no one else had, either. At least the first blast hadn't hit and they were now well-aware of just what the enemy was capable of.

His seasickness had been washed away by the sudden surge of adrenaline, and he hurried after Kenna toward the upper deck. Brennan followed them, remaining uncharacteristically quiet. They hadn't gone too far, when an inguz woman intercepted them.

"Lead Scout Kenna?" Karhu called.

"Yes?" Kenna turned quickly to see the woman who addressed her. She hoped her action was confirmation enough of her identity, it had sounded like this Warden wasn't entirely certain that she had found the right person. If Kenna remembered correctly, this woman was an ursine inguz by the name of Karhu.

"Just tell me who I need to bite."

"I need you to get someone from brig for me," she said.

"Whatever you need," Karhu confirmed. She hesitated for a moment, an inquisitive frown tugging at her lips. "What's the brig?"

"It's the ship's prison."

"Oh. What's in the brig then?"

Kenna tightened her lips as she thought, trying to figure out an accurate answer. "A Warden. She's learned her lesson by now." Kenna then added in an aside manner, "Ideally."

"'Ideally'?" Experience had taught Karhu that 'ideally' was practically the same as a 'probably', and 'probably' was never as solid as a 'definitely'. Especially when it involved someone learning a lesson.

"Yes." The elf answered, not explaining further. "I need you to bring her to me. She's somewhat unpleasant so be careful."

Lauchlan raised an eyebrow despite himself and gave Kenna a fleeting, but skeptical look. "Somewhat unpleasant" was a bit of an understatement when it came to Wicker.

Karhu shifted cautiously, but any skeptical thoughts merely manifested into a resigned shrug and nod. There was no room to complain when you were under attack.

Kenna paused a second, then cast a glance at the two men beside her. "Take Lord Copernicus with you."

"Wait-- Really?" Brennan questioned slowly, the directness of statement bringing him out of the catatonic state he had fallen into after the explosion. The youth had followed his companions in the aftermath of the shock, but he hadn't really been thinking about what he was doing. It wasn't until he heard Kenna mention him that he started to pay attention to his surroundings again. He found her command to be something of a surprise as he had been convinced the Scout Commander didn't think of him as particularly capable. On the other hand, he had never heard her make a joke-- or even laugh at one. A pointed stare from Kenna was all it took for Brennan to understand her message-- she meant what she said.

The inguz draped an arm around her new companion and herded him away, cheerfully asking, "So where exactly is this brig?"

Brennan flinched ever-so-slightly under the weight of the woman's arm, unprepared for the sudden contact. It only took him a moment to adjust and he quickly eased up. He hoped she hadn't noticed. This woman seemed a friendly sort, and he was glad that he got a chance to be her companion. "It's down a couple decks, near the crew quarters."

"Actually," Lauchlan said, "I should go with them." It had just occurred to him that neither he nor Kenna carried bows at the moment-- something he was now feeling foolish for. "Won't be doing much good without a bow."

"Alright," Kenna replied to the northerner. "I'm counting on you," she added before she set about managing the archers who had been assigned to report to her.

Lauchlan nodded, then turned to catch up with Karhu and Brennan.

"Let's go," he called, "if you're dealing with Wicker, you need to hurry faster than that." But hurry or no, he had to wonder what Kenna's plan was and why she was requesting Wicker, of all people.

Brennan cast a quick glance in Lauchlan's direction as the man joined the two of them. However, it was his comment on Wicker which caught the young lord's attention-- everything he heard about her only made him more curious about the infamous woman. He guessed that at the very least, it wouldn't be boring to meet her.

Shouldering through a cluster of crew and Wardens who were obstructing the stairs, Lauchlan pushed Brennan and Karhu ahead of him through the crowd of people. Some of them seemed to have had the same idea he did and were coming up the stairs newly armed. Others seemed so thoroughly alarmed at the sudden commotion that they were unsure whether to go up to the top deck or stay down below.

"If you're not armed, get a weapon and get on deck for orders," Lauchlan shouted over the heads of the people packed along the wooden steps. "And for fuck's sake, don't block the damn stairs!"

The three pushed through the crowd and descended to the first deck, the gun deck. The top deck's clamor was paltry compared to the commotion of the gun deck readying for combat. Unlike the mess of the top deck, however, the rush of motion of the gun deck was organized and practiced, and with a bit of observation the group was able to slip through with relative ease. Unfortunately, the second deck paralleled the top deck in its unorganized fervor.

Karhu inwardly grimaced at the amount of people blocking the path. She unceremoniously pushed and shouldered her way through, beginning to mutter a series of excuses before quickly giving up once she realized its futility. It was only when the crowd began to thin out did the young woman relax and focus on her orders. The name 'Wicker' was an infamous one. Karhu had never met the woman personally, but the rumors of her fearsome disposition were more than enough to paint a picture of an unpleasant time just waiting ahead.

After pushing their way to the second deck, Lauchlan left the group with little more explanation than a nod. The Armory was at the bow of the deck while the brig was near the stern. A small part of him felt as though he should've seen to it that Wicker followed them back up to Kenna, but he hardly had time to spare at the moment, and he felt that the inguz woman, at least, was capable of dealing with the elf. He knew little about her, but she looked strong and seemed competent. It took little time for him to locate his own bow and quiver and grab Kenna's equipment. For good measure, he slung an additional longbow and quiver over his shoulder and dashed back toward the top deck.

Karhu and Brennan continued onward to the brig, eventually reaching the locked door separating the cells from the rest of the ship. The door was left unguarded, which wasn't particularly surprising given the circumstance. The brig was standard looking and there were no particular features which stood out to Brennan. There was a large holding cell on the port side and three smaller cells on starboard. Unfortunately, they found a Warden-- who had likely been tasked with guarding the door-- unconscious on the floor. He was relatively unharmed, at least, despite a boot imprint on his face. The worst of it was the empty cell with its door left wide open. Wicker was nowhere to be found.

"Well," Brennan started as he observed the room. "This complicates things."

Reactions: Dusk
Status
Not open for further replies.