[A Realm of Uncertainty] * [OOC/Sign-up] * [All Ages Welcome - CLOSED]

Am I doing this right?​

Garlen Mattowick

medieval_knight_strokes_hound_by_melesmeles_faber-d6wwm4m.jpg

Species/Race:Human
Sexual Orientation:Straight
Current Residence: Gashton, Greycastle
Class/Occupation: Houndmaster, Royal Huntsman
Family: Has a brother and a nephew who currently resides in the city of Greycastle, and a Mother and father

Strength System (chosen two): Nature Affinity, Battle Mastery

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Height:6'2
Weight: 180
Hair: Brown hair, All of it is finely combed and well kept especially his full beard
Eyes: Dark Brown

General Appearance: He tends to be clad in a finely polished suit of plate, a luxury for only noble knights, with his signature helm consisting of a bascinet with a houndskull klappivisor. Beneath his armor, he wears a plain white tabard and a mail gambeson beneath.

Strengths: Influential, Clever, Steadfast, Authoritative, Tactically knowledgeable, Survival skills, attuned to animals, hates mages.

Weaknesses: Powermongering, Unempathetic, Reliant on his Warhounds. He tends not to let things go, grudges are very common. He also tends to be associated with pridefulness

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Allies: Nobles and Court of Gashton, as well as his associates of his hunting lodge.
Enemies:Druids, Filthy stinking mages, Political rivals
Current Goal/Purpose: He partakes in hunting down particular enemies of the king, as well as caretaking for his hounds, and organizing hunts for his estate.
Aspirations: Ascending power in the inner court of Greycastle
Hobbies: Woodcarving, Sculpting, Cartography
Likes: Anti-mages, Poetry, Epics, Theatre, Organized hunts/Events
Dislikes: Birds, Barbarians, Nasty robe tauting mages, Sailing, Climbing, Farmers
Talents: He has a knack for hunting, and is especially good at tracking and observation even without his entourage of canines. He also has a knack for using a slingshot, especially in time of combat.
Inabilities: He is incapable of swimming, or remaining civil with mages.
Fears: Eagles, Buzzards, Large avians, caves, places where you can easily become claustrophobic, and Precariously high places.

General Personality: He tends to be reserved, but firm with his demands and statements. He cares little for those who serve no purpose for his cause (Especially peasants and those of lower stature). To those who know him, he is a very influential person, with a strong history of integrity,

Secret: He doesn't like wand dangling, accursed, smelly, rotting, evil, magic flaunting, queer-headed, pointy-hat wearing, mages.

SPECIALTY CHARACTERISTICS

Special Items: Other than his personal weaponry, he carries a leash of warhounds (up to 2 at a time)

His warhounds are the result of much selective breeding to acquire a perfect hunting dog, that can also be utilized in war. They carry a keen sense of sight and smell that acts an extension of Mattowick's own abilities to detect danger or prey. They are largely muscular and tend to be rather aggressive around strangers, especially filthy, stinking horse's ass mages. On occasions, they may be a equipped with their own armor that covers their back, their legs, and their neck.

The hounds look akin to a mix between a Scottish Deerhound and a Silken Windhound.​
Fallon1.jpg

Weapons: He carries a longsword by the name of Brandric, the name of his first hunting hound. a very well crafted blade with a steel core and silver plating. The blade was designed to excel and stabbing and thrusting as well as punching through armor with general ease. The blade itself has been thoroughly gilded and decorated with rivulets of gold, held by a scabbard of equal sumptuousness.

He also carries with him a worn, but reliable cast-metal sling shot and a pouch of lead balls that he uses for hunting. The slingshot, unlike the bow is more lightweight and concealable, and can be fired silently, and VERY quickly in small spaces, however obvious drawbacks include the fact that it does not retain as much firepower or reach as a bow, nor do the projectiles create large lacerating wounds depending on the type of arrow. However it is a weapon that can most definitely hurt people and animals alike, though largely underestimated. People tend to question why a man of his stature carries such a worn out thing, he merely waves them off.

Besides that, he carries a rather simple, dagger at his side just in case of filthy putrid abominable, gluttonous, ponciful mages.

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

Ever since he was a boy he has remembered that familiar feeling. The scent of pine in the air, the sound of leaves crunching satisfyingly beneath his leather soles. He looked at the tall dried grass sway amongst itself, bristling at his knees ever so gently. Above, the clouds slightly parted, allowing a single ray of sun to escape from their countenance. Behind him he heard another set of footsteps catch up to him in a relaxed pace, he quickly deduced its origin from the gentle, but firm thuds of its footsteps.

"Don't get too comfy yet, son." His father spoke in a placid manner "The forest's bounty is ripe with stag and wolf, it shall be ours to claim depending on your wit." He tapped his finger on his temple to exemplify.

The boy looked down at his hands, and noticed a polished slingshot in one hand, and a handful of lead balls in the other, where they always there? It felt less like an object to hold and use, but rather part of him; an extension of his own self. He tried to remember the origin of these objects, he recalled snippets of a celebration and a gift from his father only yesterday. Today they were going to test it out. The memory seemed so vague and distant, yet so close.

There, they plunged into the forests, for what seemed like days, exploring every rock, and every crevice as well finding and hunting game. He would do this weekly with his father, and each one was a memory he would not forget. Every time they returned, the sweet aromas of baking pies and cakes from a fine, wood stove would entice them, the work of his mother no doubt, who's cooking was known well in their community. He knew to return quickly as her sister tended to eat ravenously, and there would be little left for he and his father lest they were too slow. His younger sister's name was Josephine, a bright girl with a tendency to be overly ecstatic.

One day, while returning from a successful hunt with his father, they stumbled upon a wild dog stricken with hunger. The boy raised his slingshot, and notched a steel ball into the horse hair band of his prongs, but a gentle hand on his shoulder stopped him.

"Those who you do good by, will do good by you"

His father had said, a phrase which he remembered vividly. He took out a cut of meat from his sack and placed it in the palm of the boy's hand, and tentatively did the dog partake in it. After that was done, they headed home, but the dog had followed, not wanting to rid of it, boy adopted it and named it Brandric instead, and they would eventually become deeply bonded friends, for only a fleeting time, it was that bond however, that allowed him to truly understand the synergy of man and beast.

As time passed, the boy and his sister grew stronger, older, and more distant from home, but he would never forget to return every now and then, unlike his sister, who had became more reserved and quiet to the point of silence over the years to her young adulthood, and suddenly vanishing with his animal companion. He would not see them again.

Garlen eventually moved to the city, where he worked as a stable-boy for a wealthy baron in a hunting lodge. He lived in one of the animal stalls, cleaning and caring to them. Over the months, the boy began to learn much from his time there, especially how to act as a noble from the Baron, who had grown very fond of him. He became a man eventually and started working side by side with him as a hunting aide. His esteem began to grow from his successes and vast collection of hunting trophies. The Baron later passed away from unknown causes. With no heir, Garlen inherited the estate and such, the influence over all its associates did as well.. The King later saw use of Garlen and his ability to work with these hounds due to his massive influence with the other nobles despite his own origins. He had them used to hunt down political enemies, prisoners, spies and hideaways that attempted to elude into the surrounding forests and wilds of the kingdom, Of course, he and his hounds had succeeded greatly. He himself learned how to fight not only beasts and animals, but men, and filthy, stinking, brooding mages as well. People would think that his hate for mages would stem from a deeply hidden psychological root. But in actuality, he just hates their putrid, fairy-dusted, smelly, abominable guts, which coincided with the King's view, pleasantly.

Special Historic Notes:

"I would sooner travel thousands of miles across the continent and find my possibly-dead sister and fuck her than converse with a mage." - Earl Garlen Mattowick (Addressing a friend a Dinner Party Whilst Intoxicated)

"I myself don't quite understand Mattowick's hate for the Arcane, he's never known a mage in his youth, beside knowledge from bedtime stories and books, even still when he was a boy he would say 'I don't like those people.." - (Garlen's Father, Andwen Mattowick)

"Garlen cares for his hounds deeply, they are a breed like no other, they surpass in vision some of the best sighthounds, and are equally capable in catching smells as some of the best scenthounds. Why, a few gentlemen from Arcay came to purchase some to create their own line of hunting dogs, Garlen refused which had made one of them particularly angry. He made a comment saying that any magic infusion could easily do the same work as his. Let us just say that his hounds ate well that day." -A Houndkeeper's Journal in Garlen's Estate

"Ah wunce saw heem pluck three geese outta tha sky with two lead balls and an ol' slingshot, The next day, he hit an ol' grocer in the back of tha head with a pebble, not sure if he meant ta do either." - A Peasant (On Garlen Mattowick)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are, indeed, doing it right. You have my approval but before I give the 100% go-ahead, gotta wait for God and Zaith. Personally, I think Xander is going to be happy that he finally has a friend in Gashton again (seeing as everyone playing in Gashton just up and disappeared on us :c )

my god all the hate for mages Adrian is going to make lots of new friends.

You are, indeed, doing it right. You have my approval but before I give the 100% go-ahead, gotta wait for God and Zaith. Personally, I think Xander is going to be happy that he finally has a friend in Gashton again (seeing as everyone playing in Gashton just up and disappeared on us :c )
Heh, I actually wanted to play as the king, but he told me I need more experience first

I might actually use this character for another RP instead of this one, Im just comparing the IC's atm

Hah! And GreatWest finally posts! Can I get a Hallelujah?

Hallelujah!

And on today's post, I explored a bit of Bella's inner dark fears, I couldn't help it lol

HALLELUJAH!

Still need to decide where Xander is going though.

@RainyDays So, I fell in love with Aeyre. Like, a lot. Also, I'll reply as soon as Zaith does, sorry 'bout that.

And there were sometimes you wrote Gashton, I don't know if that was on purpose or not and you actually meant Eventide, but I got a little confused. Just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
@RainyDays So, I fell in love with Aeyre. Like, a lot. Also, I'll reply as soon as Zaith does, sorry 'bout that.

And there were sometimes you wrote Gashton, I don't know if that was on purpose or not and you actually meant Eventide, but I got a little confused. Just sayin'
Oh goodness I did mean Eventide. But I'm glad you love my little Aeyre! I hope you don't mind Arabella being included in the vision...if Aeyre is going to become a pirate, or whatever, then she needs some divine intervention. (Get it, because she's skilled in divination- yeah I'll stop now)

I was actually veeeery nervous about writing my post. I became aware of the lack of action, a lot of it was reaction due to how much I had to catch up on.

Gonna do that thing were I make a post sometime day, sorry for the delay.

Oh dear, it's gone quiet. @GreatWest, are you still waiting on @Zaith to reply? Perhaps slot in another post whilst you wait?

(I needn't hide my excitement for posting on Aeyre. I think you all can tell I'm practically wiggling in my seat.)

Oh dear, it's gone quiet. @GreatWest, are you still waiting on @Zaith to reply? Perhaps slot in another post whilst you wait?

(I needn't hide my excitement for posting on Aeyre. I think you all can tell I'm practically wiggling in my seat.)

Don't worry, I don't think it'll take too long. I'm also excited to interact with Aeyre, especially because she'll probably be a future pirate. This will make Bella's day.