A Child Brought Up In War

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sorry I just couldn't sleep. I usually don't sleep much since I am out at night." Alexander breathed quietly and stared up at the ceiling. This night was cold and the blanket helped, but it wasn't enough to keep them that warm. A shiver ran down Alexander's back. With a shimmy he moved closer to Kieara and tried to keep himself warm.

Kieara cuddled up to him for warmth. She lay her head over on his chest and spoke. "It's alright. So...as an honest answer what made you become a thief?" She spoke. He was too sweet to just decide to start stealing one day.

"Circumstance." Alexander said this plainly and without any emotion. It was almost like it was a regret, that he wished he had chosen something else. "There are many like me in the same situation. Sadly, my bonds have already been accepted. My life is on the course that has been chosen for me." Alexander sighed and then began to laugh. "What made you decide to follow me?"

"The same reason. But if you truly wanted another profession it wouldn't take much to get on a boat and move. Then no one would know you. Make a life doing something you enjoy. Or something you could feel better about doing."

Alexander put his arm around her out and held her close. "We can make it out of here, we just need to make it to Dulemar. Alexander closed his eyes for a moment then looked at Kieara. "Maybe we can escape once this is all over." Thoughts of them escaping engulfed Alexander's mind. It would be a better life if they made it out of Biltmore's sight, and Arendanna.

She wasn't sure if that was a yes to stop thieving or a no. She smiled and closed her eyes as well. "Goodnight Alexander." She spoke and fell back asleep cuddled up to him.

Alexander brought her close and then he fell asleep. It was around eight when the the sun shined through their window. Alexander pulled the blanket off of him then tried to move, but was held in place by Kieara. For a moment he stopped and enjoyed her hold, but he had things to do. Swiftly he moved from the bed and started to put on his clothes and put his weapons in their sheathes. The light continued to shine through the window, he soon became annoyed by it and closed the blinds. The room was dark, and there was no sound. It was quiet except for the breathing of Kieara and Alexander. Alexander paced for a moment and then walked out of the door. Hopefully, Kieara would follow him when she woke up.

Kieara had woke when he moved. She just lay still watching him get ready and wondering if that was similar to what it was like having a husband. She gently stood with some difficulty due to her belly and moved after him. She dressed and combed her hair washing up before following.

Alexander had gotten breakfast from the barkeep. It was scrambled eggs, sausages, and a glass of milk. The meal itself was meager, but it would fill them until lunch. "We head toward Dulemar once I can find a cart and a pair of horses." Alexander piled food into his mouth keeping to himself this morning.

Kieara ate with him and listened. She had never tasted food as good as the food she'd ate while pregnant. Whether it was starvation or pregnancy talking she didn't know but it tasted great. She spoke. "Alright then."

Alexander spooned the rest of his food into his mouth then set a dagger with a leather sheath on the table. "You will need this while I am gone." He set his bowl down from eating and then stood up. "It will be gone, not forever but for a while, and I will need to be safe while I gather our supplies. Don't let anyone near you, and if they get close get them to the room. Do you want anything while I am away?"

Kieara looked at the dagger then at him. She was afraid to be alone. She took the dagger though as he asked. She looked back at him as he spoke. She was a woman of few needs and even fewer wants. She had food cravings but she wouldn't bother him with it. "No thank you." She smiled sweetly.

Alexander smiled back at her. "Then I must be on my way." Alexander dropped his bowl and spoon off at the bar. The door swung for a moment as he went outside. It was just a couple of patrons, the bartender, and Kieara left in the inn. Alexander moved through the streets and out of the city to a small farm to do business. Hopefully this deal would be made within a couple of hours.

Kieara finished her meal and took her dishes to the bar as well. To avoid trouble, she went up to the room and inside. She hoped that no one would come looking for her. She was rather bored but found her mind going in a million different directions to keep her occupied.

Alexander reached a small farm that had horses bred there. Since he had to escape he always knew how to get out of a situation. After some negotiations Alexander took the horses to the stables. It was around noon when he had finished, so he would get them both fed and then ride to Dulemar. The horses were soon stabled and their stay was paid. Now he would get packed and get Kieara to safety. Everything was going well.

black_flame_zealot_by_tikos-d422xan.jpg

WHOOSH. The room next to Kieara's room was broken open. She heard it and then the steps moved towards her room. They had been found, Alexander's plan was compromised. The steps came to Kieara's door and then it was broken open. A masked figure entered the room and looked around before staring at Kieara. His breathing couldn't be heard, he was like a statue, but was brought to life. The figure moved toward her and unsheathed it's scimitar. "Someone has been looking for you."

Kieara stumbled backwards and fumbled with the dagger pulling it out of its sheath and shaking like a leaf. Who was looking for her? What had she done? She hoped that Alexander got back soon. She swallowed hard as she waited fearfully for his next move.

The figure moved toward her and moved his blade along the wall. The wood was slightly cut as he moved, but then it came down to Kieara. Since the figure was close to her the figure's breathing became more evident. It was a heavy breathing that sounded like it was hoarse from yelling. "You are going to come with me, and then you will obey my orders until we reach Dulemar. Your friend also won't be joining us."

She didn't plan on going anywhere without Alexander. She shook like a leaf but in a burst of energy lunged forward plunging the dagger as deep into him as she could. Her eyes were shut tightly as she did this.

The figure didn't expect her to do that. Her blade plunged into his stomach and he fell back with her. Blood began to fill the room, each crack and crevice was slowly flooded with each drop. Kieara's dress was covered in blood was well, and the blade was deep in the figure's body. She had killed a person, someone who had a life, someone who was going to kill her.

She felt the tears come as she stumbled back into a corner away from the body. She held her head and sobbed as the knife fell from her hands and onto the wooden planks.

Status
Not open for further replies.