A Child Brought Up In War

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexander stepped out of the cave and headed toward the east, away from Biltmore. Dulemar was south of Biltmore so they would have to travel around in a semi circular form. The sun was shined over the small river that was running by the mountain. It glistened as the both of them walked down the mountain path and onward to the east. It would take them at least a day to be able to reach the next village or trading post. Hopefully, if they stayed close to the road, they would be able to make it to a safe area. "Keep your hood up, we have a long trip ahead of us."

She pulled her hood up and headed out with him. Her feet were swollen and hurt but she didn't complain. She knew that they had a much longer journey ahead of them. She sighed and spoke. "When do you think well run into a merchant?"

"There is several wandering merchants heading towards Biltmore. Since it's between the Gehen and Stonegate it's a beacon of trading. Their mining exports are one of the strongest in the kingdom. Sadly, there isn't much travel since the war started. The merchants have become tired and lazy. The raids don't inspire much movement either, so we should hope we run into a merchant." The land ahead of the pair was rather flat with trees scattered across the plains. Behind them was the mountain range that Biltmore was erected from. Time passed quickly as they made it toward a small grove of trees a couple of miles from Biltmore. It was around lunch time when they arrived there. Alexander pulled out a loaf of bread and some cheese for the both of them. Quickly he cut the bread and the cheese and gave most of it to Kieara. "There is a village a few more miles from here, they will be looking for us there. They won't expect us to be there, so we will need to find somewhere in the village to stay. Do you have any thoughts?"

She moved along with him enjoying the nature and ignoring her aching feet. She liked nature. She stopped with him and with great carefulness of her belly sat to eat. She looked at what he gave her and spoke. "You didn't half it evenly....I don't want you to be hungry." She spoke wanting to be fair. She listened and answered. "With our disguise I don't think we have much of a problem. But should we need to be more hidden id suggest going to the less populated inn if there's more than one in that village."

"I'm not the hungry, and I can sustain more than you can. We can make it to the town in an hour if we hurry. The Biltmorian mercenaries that have been sent out may be there, but I can handle them. Our story stays the same, we are traveling merchants, and we need rooms for the night. If we are persuasive enough it's possible that we can get a room in the back of the inn there. Our disguises will hold up if we don't attract any attention."

She was reluctant but ate what he'd given her as she listened to his explanation. She finished shortly and spoke. "Alright. If you're certain that we can handle it. I hope they don't figure us out."

"Time will only tell." Alexander stood up and put his pack over his shoulder. He gazed over the horizon and nodded. "We can make it by the afternoon." Before he started walking he helped Kieara up off the ground. As they walked he made polite conversation with her. "I know you are a slightly shy, but do you have any input about this? Any ideas to help us?"

Kieara looked over as he spoke. "I don't. I'm not good at thinking out this sort of thing. I am not used to leading a criminals life. It's entirely new to me. I'm not sure if I approve or not yet." She spoke.

"You will need to take notes. Being of our status makes us prime targets." Alexander plodded toward the next town keeping a slow pace so Kieara could keep up. They were moving rather slowly so the idea of making it by the afternoon was slightly far fetched. Birds flew overhead as they continued to walk. They were flying toward Biltmore, with no idea what was there. In a way they were like them, going toward something they had no concept of what was there. Both of them were far enough from the road to not be noticed. They could be spotted, but only if they were being chased down.

She looked over. "Take notes? What do you mean?" She asked as she wobbled along with him trying her best to hurry. She knew it had to be annoying moving so slow.

"I may say that you will always be protected but in truth you won't. There are many foes after us and we should be on our feet. We need to keep moving, night will come soon." As Alexander had said there was a village far enough away from Biltmore that they would be out of their sight. It soon became night as they reached the small town of Dadenbrook. A wood carved sign hung from a post which swung back as the wind hit it. There were only a couple of guards standing watch and they let the pair in. This small town only had a couple of homes, an inn, stables, and a few shops. Alexander walked toward the inn and motioned to Kieara to follow him. The Dog's Breath, a small inn with a few patrons sitting around a table playing a dice game. There was a bartender, but he was only cleaning cups. Candles lit the room enough to be able to see, but if you were not face to face with someone you wouldn't know who they were. Alexander bought a large room for the both of them and asked that if anyone were to come in, that they weren't to be let near the room. After the arrangement walked up to the room and waited for him to join her.

She walked with him into town and was thankful no one could see them well enough to id them if they had to make an escape. She walked with him up to the room and was quite thankful to get to lay down. She didn't mind sharing a bed with him.

Alexander set his things in the dressers and hid weapons around the room as he had done before. This was his coo, his home for the night, and he made it that way by keeping weapons around him. Once he finished prepping he saw Kieara enter into the room. "You can have the bed to yourself, it would be best for the baby." Alexander began to undress and then continued to talk. "There are several weapons within this room. If you are ever caught off guard then you need to come back here. Grab a weapon when you go out, and tuck it under your dress or what you have." As he finished his sentence he was left with a white shirt on and a pair of undergarments. He pulled the blanket down for her and set a couple of pillows up for her. "Anything you want before you go to bed?"

Kieara blushed as she saw him undress and couldn't help but stare. She cleared her throat and lay down before scooting over and motioning for him to lay with her. "I can share the bed."

"Oh, um alright." Alexander moved in the bed and took off his shirt. He didn't particularly want to be sleep with a pregnant woman, but a bed was a bed. For a moment he tried to get comfortable as he pulled the wool sheets over him. Alexander gave a kind look to Kieara as he put his hands behind his head as a pillow. "Again I ask before I start to fall asleep, is there anything you need?"

She smiled softly giving him plenty of room. It was a large bed. She for some reason felt safe sleeping with him. "No thank you." She paused for a long time thinking about her words. "I'm sorry...."

"Why are you sorry?" Alexander put his hand on hers and looked down. "It's mostly been my influence through this mission where you have found yourself lost. I apologize for anything that has happened to you. Soon once this is over you will be put in a safe place by The Order. I promise."

"I'm sorry for judging you and for getting mad. I'm also sorry that I have been so bitter thus far." She spoke and offered an apologetic smile. "Good night " she whispered and turned onto her side.

"Good night." Alexander turned over so he was back to back with Kieara. He didn't want to start anything that was not worth getting into. She was a nice girl who had a number of really fantastic qualities, but it came with a price. Alexander pulled the blankets further to him as he began to drift to sleep. After some sleep he woke up and looked over to Kieara. "Are you awake?"

Kieara slept relatively easy through the night. She was curled up to his back when he woke because she'd become cold. She was still asleep but when he spoke she roused awake. "Hm?" She mumbled tiredly rubbing her eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.