A Child Brought Up In War

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
The road was rough, and it wasn't getting better. Dulemar may have been miles away, but it felt as if it was on the other side of the world. Alexander was annoyed, The Order was supposed to help them, but something was happening. They continued on the road for hours more. At one point there was a very large hump in the road that let something small out of Alexander's pocket. It looked like the pendant that Cobalt had when Kieara was at the manor. It sat on the bench of the cart right next to Alexander. He didn't notice that it had ejected from his pocket.

She saw that pendant and frowned. She recognized it. She lifted it offering it to him. "Alexander, why do you have the pendant that man who got me locked up had?" She asked him waiting for explanation.

Alexander immediately halted the cart and turned to her. "I told you it's none of your concern." He put the pendant in his hand for a moment while the chain was held in Kieara's hand. "I apologize." Alexander let go of the pendant and let it swing in Kieara's hand. "The man you killed worked for Cobalt, and The Order. I know I have been rather obscure about The Order, but once we reach Dulemar you will see what this concerns. His name was Herron the Greedy, he worked closely with Cobalt." Alexander looked at Kieara and then put his hand with hers. "We need to find Farstrider. Hopefully he made it to Dulemar."

She frowned and began to get scared again. She held his hand and spoke. "But you said the order would protect us....whoever they are....why would they be trying to kill us Alexander?...."

"It's not my decision, Tinuviel was the one who must have done this." Alexander stopped before continuing. "Herron must have not known that you were going to fight. We can't know for sure until we reach Dulemar." Alexander cracked the reins and the horses continued on the road. The day itself had been very cloudy, so by the time they reached Dulemar it would most likely rain.

She fell into silence at that awaiting the arrival at Dulemar. She hoped that they could make an escape. She didn't know if she could handle this life. But she didn't want to leave Alexander....there she went again. She'd grown attatched to the thief. Even though she hadn't realized it til now.

The jagged rocks on the road soon faded away as the pair rode to Dulemar. Both of the horses were tiring away as their journey started to end. They were about a mile away when it began pouring on them. The clouds had been heavy that day so this had been expected. Alexander grumbled seeing the drops fall from his hood into his lap. "You see that?" Alexander pointed to a small town with farms around it. "That's Dulemar, and behind it some way is the border to Gehen. Once we enter the town we will have some time to ourselves before The Order needs us, so if you want to sleep you may. I've only been here once so don't expect me to know every nook and cranny of the town."

She spoke. "Alright, but why would the order need us if they're trying to kill us?" She pointed out. She frowned under the hood that signaling to her he didn't plan on leaving this life.

"It's possible that they didn't want to kill us at all, maybe they wanted an audience with us." The horses finally came upon Dulemar, a small farming village with hard workers and tired people. Alexander left the horses at the stable and headed toward a small home toward the back of the town. Candle light could be seen as the rain continued to pour. "The Order will meet us here."

Kieara was nervous about all this. She didn't want to meet the order. Nor did she want to continue on as a thief. If they wanted an audience why send a scary guy after her. "Before......well you know....he said he only came for me that you wouldn't be coming with us..."

Alexander closed his eyes for a moment and then took her hand. "We wait for what may come." Alexander opened the door to the house. Inside there was a queen sized bed, a fire place, and a couple other amenities. Weapons were put in different parts of the house as usual, and then he started to change. He took off his cloak and wet clothes and set them on the bed. Searching through his bag he found clothes for both Kieara and him. He gave Kieara her clothes and then started to put on his clothes.

She changed out of her wet clothes then took his and her wet clothes and cloaks and hung them by the fire to dry. She had a natural mothelrly-wifeish feel about her in this place with him. Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad had they not been expecting a visit from the order.

Alexander had enough respect for her to not look at while she changed. The clothes he had given here were slightly fancy. His clothes were like this also, but they seemed more rugged. Alexander sat on the bed and then he folded his hands. He wasn't acting his normal, something about The Order was doing something to him. It was possible that it was a bad sign, or maybe he was just nervous.

She'd picked up on it, but didn't mention it. He'd just brush her off again anyway. She spoke. "Are you hungry? I could make something to eat?"

"I'm fine, if you are hungry there is plenty in the backpack." Alexander put his thumbs together and looked at the door intently. He did this for a moment and then stopped. His eyes were soon on Kieara. He looked at her with child-like innocence. Whatever was in store for them must have not been good.

She sighed and sat down with him. She rested her hands on her belly and jumped a little suddenly. The baby kicked and surprised her.

Alexander smiled at Kieara. "Beautiful." Alexander said this like he actually meant it. That Kieara was beautiful, and maybe he cared for her. "Your child will not be harmed, that I am sure. The Order does not do away with life that has yet to do anything wrong." Alexander put his hand on Kieara's belly and tried to feel for the child.

She looked over and blushed at his words. She watched as he felt for the baby. Not used to the attention but enjoying it, the baby kicked at his hand. She smiled a little bit feeling not so alone if only for a moment.

Alexander chuckled, which was odd for him, she had never seen him laugh genuinely. His eyes drifted from her stomach to her eyes. He had an expression of happiness, like he saw something in her that was good. Alexander didn't see her as a rape victim or an associate of a thief. His other hand moved to her hand like it had before and he set his hand on her's. Words did not come from Alexander as he stared into her eyes.

Her pink coloring in her cheeks remained. She looked up at him into his eyes. He seems so different. She liked this version of him. The gentle sweet Alexander. The Alexander who felt like he understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.