A Child Brought Up In War

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manor was in a panic. The chaos had left Biltmore in a rage and servants being taken to jail left and right. Even in a curious mining town like this, Biltmore's wrath seemed to spread farther than just the borders of Biltmore. Cobalt was sitting at the corner of the overlook, looking down at Biltmore. He was holding a pendant with the symbol of Terra, the Godess of evil and war. He turned to her and set the pendant in his pocket then walked over to her. His right hand was placed on his scimitar as he put out his left hand for the keys. "You have done marvelously, and I see a great future for all of us."

She couldn't understand how colbalt and Bennett could feel that way. She felt increasingly guilty. She didn't speak simply placed the keys in his hand. She did ask him one thing though. "when can I leave the manor?"

"When I am finished with you." The sound of Lord Biltmore's voice sent chills through Kieara's back. "Thank you Cobalt, your services will be reported to the Order." Biltmore plodded past Kieara and took the keys from Cobalt. He then turned to her and snapped his fingers. Two burly guards rushed up behind Kieara and picked her up. These guards were not the normal run of the mill guards, they looked like they were hired mercenaries. Kieara was taken through the manor and into the prison. The prison was relativity small, but there was more to it. Lord Biltmore pulled several levers and the room spun around. The prison was layered so it looked like there was no people in the prison at the time, but there were many more than anticipated. Old and young faces were seen as the right section of the prison was found. The prison itself has eight cells in total, but once it spun there were obviously more than that. Biltmore finally stopped with two prisoners and six cells left empty. On Kieara's right there was an old man who was emaciated and looked as if he were a skeleton with skin on. To Kieara's left at the end of the cells was a little boy who had didn't have clothes big enough for him to wear. He was sobbing, like he had no words to describe what had happened to him. The horrific scene was only worsened when it could be seen through the bars of the cell. Cobalt and Biltmore had one last encounter before they departed. They exchanged hugs and Biltmore handed him a sack of coins. "Now that you are here, your child will be mine, and your life is worthless." Biltmore looked over at her and shook his head before leaving. The sound of the door closing made the sound of the child's crying only more evident.

Kiearas eyes widened. She'd screwed up. She couldn't figure why she didn't trust her instinct and deny colbalt that she had anything to do with the whole situation. She squirmed even though it was useless as she was taken down into the prison. She felt tears stinging her eyes. Bennett was a theif. He'd leave her there. She would be a waste to save. She watched as the place closed and she could hear the child. His sobs broke her heart and she wanted to offer some sort of comfort. She spoke softly in a motherly tone. "Shhhhh. Don't cry. Why don't you tell me your name?"

The child continued to sob as she spoke, no actual words came from his mouth. A rasps voice came from the other side of the cells as the child cried. "He's been here since birth, and his mother died a week or so ago. I've only managed to survive from the rats down here and the rainwater that drips down here when it rains. There are so many others here, and we all have suffered." The emaciated old man moved upright to be able to breathe better so he could project his voice to Kieara.

It was then that Kieara broke down in tears. She couldn't help it. The prospect of being in the same situation as the boy and his mother scared her. She spoke. "W-what is everyone in here for? I don't want my child to suffer down here..."

The man stood up and went to the bars. "We are done here because Biltmore has more to deal with than just us. Since we pulled out of the war we aren't that powerful anymore. Our villages are burned down and taken captive, and we can't do anything about it. My name is Farstrider, by the way." The old man paced around his cell then he sat down on his bed.

She felt comforted by the old mans words for some reason. He had that kind of aura. She sat as well and rested on the bed. "I'm Kieara. I was raped in the onslaught...shunned by everyone. Then I thought I'd found a way out but all it did was wind me up in here."

"I'm sorry about that. The only way out of here is if we have a master thief pull us out of here. If only someone knew someone who had such a talent." The old man knew more than he presented. "Look if you find a way out of here I will pay you enough money to ship you to the southern kingdoms and back. I want the child along with me too." He put his hands on the bars then rested his head against it. "I want to see the light again..."

Kieara looked at him quizzically. She didn't know how he knew that. She looked to the boy. "I would if I could but I know he won't come..." She spoke to him sadly. "I won't leave without both of you with me." She spoke to him. Her word meant everything. Her word was all she had to give. And it never wavered.

"If you believe your hero won't come, then he won't. But maybe you should reconsider. Ask and you shall receive my father always said, and I have kept that close to my heart." He peaked his head out out of cell and began to sing a small melody. The child began to quiet down as he began to chant the words.

Lift up your swords and carry your shield.
For tomorrow we fight so the enemy shall yield.
Tomorrow we must away.
And cut down the enemy till the break of day....
We sing tonight for brothers and wives..
Tomorrow we hope that we will not die...

The child finally lulled to a sleep and the two were left at peace.

She was going to take the child along with her unless he wanted otherwise or the man otherwise said. However that was if she got out. She searched the cell with no signs of escape. She lay down and soon drifted into a restless sleep.

Knock. Knock. Knock. "Wake up, we need to get out of here." Alexander stood outside the cell with the same pendant that Cobalt had earlier. "We are taking the old man and the child with us." This must have been a dream, how did he get in? Farstrider was taken out of his cell and the child was too. They were lead through the manor and out the back of the city. Everyone was gathered by a small cave in the mountain. It looked like an old mine that had been dry for years. Alexander started a fire and put the child to bed. "We leave for Dulemar in a days time, then we head for The Shrine. "

Kieara was thankful for him coming to get them but she was extremely upset for him using her as the decoy to get her thrown in a cell. She didn't say a word aside from one thank you after he got them out. She sat there staring at the ceiling unsure what to do.

"Farstrider, Cobalt has betrayed us." Farstider nodded and then pulled the blanket over the child. "Do you have any clothes for me?" Alexander nodded and threw him a leather sack with clothes in it. "I know you and the child have to leave for Bayon, but make sure you report to Tinuviel. He will deal with Cobalt once the next meeting is held." Farstrider put on his clothes and then sat next to the child. "You know that he never got a name, what do you think I should name him?"

pathfinder_tales___hanspir_by_capprotti-d5dq4kc.jpg

Kieara listened absently but didn't speak thinking the older man was talking to Bennett. She thought the child should get to choose his name. Surely he had a name he liked. She looked over to the tiny child and sighed. What a hard life he'd been given.

Alexander shook his head and sat down next to Kieara. He looked over at Farstrider and the boy then back at Kieara. "Next time you only take orders from me. Dulemar will hold us for a while, I have friends there who owe me a favor. Hopefully we will be able to strike back at Biltmore and show him what he is dealing with." Alexander looked at the fire and breathed slowly. "I won't let that happen to you again I promise."

Kieara looked over to him and frowned. "Frankly I can't afford chances like that Bennett. I've came near death once and I don't plan on going there again." She was weak tired and weary and not yet recovered from her previous sake. She was a very sickly woman right now even though she was fighting it and she was sick and tired of being sick and tired.

"You already agreed to this, you can't leave." Farstrider laughed. "She can get out of this, but it will be a while. Maybe you should take her to the next meeting." Alexander shot a glare at Farstrider then he shut up. "I'm sorry, but for your safety you have to stay with me. Dulemar is a quiet town, a farming town along the border of Arendanna. We can stay there, and later I will finish up things here."

She didn't like being told what to do and Bennett wasn't in her good graces right now. She glared at them all not liking being left out on things. She wearily stood and left the cave. She didn't go towards town for that would've been foolish but went to the nearby riverside and sat.

Status
Not open for further replies.