Your favorite films?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minerva

The Apex of the World
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. Multiple posts per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Roughly 9:30 AM-2:30 AM (CST)
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Intermediate
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Alt History, Anything really. It honestly depends on how I'm feeling. I am always up for a good, solid Cyberpunk RP. I'm also up for Crossover RPs.
I'm curious on what your favorite films are. Whether it's top 3, top five, or top 1. I want to know what your favorite films are. You can explain why or not, but just tell me what your favorite film is!

1. Interstellar.

God dammit, I love this film. It makes me cry every time. The soundtrack is one of my favorite soundtracks, and it's so beautifully shot. I just love everything about this film. Matthew McConaughey's performance in it is great. The ending was brilliantly done.

2. Inception. Another Nolan film. I love the soundtrack to this one as well. This one is special to me, because I watched it alone, on a laptop while going through a tough time. The Special effects are amazing, and I just found it to be an all around great film.

3. This is a tie between Blade Runner and Akira. I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk, and both films portray Cyberpunk amazingly. They're both so different. Both are incredibly Kick-ass, and they both are huge inspirations to Sci-Fi as we know it.

So, what are your favorite films?

Reactions: Dervish
Spaceballs! Because....well....it's Spaceballs.

The Judge. The movie is just awesome all around. Great story. Great actors. Great everything.

The Shining, because Stephen King!

Gone with the Wind, because Clark Gable was the man.

The Nightmare before Christmas. Is it a Christmas movie? Is it a Halloween movie? Who cares! Jack Skellington is awesome and I love the remake of Sally's Song.

Guardians of the Galaxy. The entire movie is just a win. Plus the ending makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

A Good Marriage, another Stephen King movie. I love the premise of it, and the fact that in the end it works out perfectly.

I could probably go on, but those are my top favorites.

Pan's Labyrinth is my favourite movie of all time.

Otherwise I love basically every Miyazaki film. I don't really watch a lot of movies. I don't like watching movies unless they make me ~feel~ things.

Oh, I forgot one! I just watched this recently, but I've seen it two more times since then. Song of the Sea is just wonderful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windsong
In no specific order
  • The Dark Knight
  • Karate Kid
  • Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy (I know they're three different movies altogether, but it feels like a crime not to pair them)
  • The Avengers
  • Schindler's List
  • Princess Mononoke
  • The Wind Rises
  • Planet of the Apes (All but 2)
  • Lord of the Rings & Hobbit Trilogies

Alien
Blade Runner
Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit trilogies
Batman Begins & The Dark Knight
Ghostbusters
Saving Private Ryan
Mad Max (old and new one)
Gladiator
Kingdom of Heaven
The 13th Warrior

tumblr_n43ortp0Sd1r21i5xo1_500.gif

The Crow

Hard question, but here's a top 5 off the top of my head (in no particular order):

1. Everything is Illuminated - It's a little eccentric, but the last half hour or so gets my heart every time.
2. Zootopia - Disney did something good recently and socially relevant?! Wow! A+
3. Deadpool- 'nuff said
4. Prince of Egypt - Great story, great music, and actual brown people in Egypt, can I get a hallelujah
5. The Babadook - Psychological stuff in horror movies yessssss

I'm probably forgetting some really good stuff buuuuuut....there ya go :)

Man, you all have excellent tastes on films. I approve of your choices, friends!

In no particular order...

Jurassic Park: My undisputed favorite film of all time. I remember watching this as a kid and being terrified of that opening sequence that is probably the entire reason I still have occassional dinosaur nightmares to this day. I still feel like for a movie that's 23 years old, it holds up astonishingly well in the special effects department, the cast is fantastic all around, and the movie hits a lot of really good beats pacing wise and with the plot. Say nothing of the score, which is one of the best in movie history, the sound team was astonishing and the t-rex's roar is just as iconic as Darth Vader's breathing. Amazing movie.

Saving Private Ryan: Probably one of the most incredible war movies ever made, it launched a lot of careers including Vin Diesel and Matt Damon, and there's even Nathan Fillion! Stark, brutal, and one of the first movies I can think of after All Quiet on the Western Front that dared show a realistic and honest portayal of the horrors of war, this movie really left a lifelong impression on me.

Letters from Iwo Jima: One of my favorite war movies ever, it's one of Clint Eastwood's finest efforts as a director and it is a rare glimpse at a Japanese perspective. It's a film that made me fall in love with Ken Watanabe as an actor, and it is a horrifying and desperate tale of doomed men trying to survive a battle they know they can't win. Seeing Americans cast as an enemy like we usually see the Germans is actually kind of an eye opener, and it certainly is a film that doesn't shy away from either side's atrocities. Don't watch if you have a fear of dogs, it won't help.

Deadpool: Holy shit, hands down the best superhero movie according to my tastes. It is unspeakably refreshing to see such an adult oriented film that is such a labour of love from all involved where the entire thing had me laughing my ass off from start to finish and having one of the most charming and fun romances I've seen in a movie between two fucked up, yet endearingly relatable people. I needed this movie, so hard.

Starship Troopers: Another lifelong favorite of mine, it hasn't lost it's appeal with age. A quick moving plot that's a fun satire about fascism with Michael Fucking Ironside and Neil Goddamn Patrick Harris and the guys responsible for Jurassic Park's visual effects, it's a bloody and campy film that isn't afraid to have fun and throw some crazy spectacles at you. The arachnids are some of the best creature designs I've seen in a movie.

Zootopia: I went into this movie entirely because I am charmed to death by sloths and that promoclip of the sloths at the DMV pretty much ensured I would break out of prison just to see this movie and I ended up discovering what has become my favorite Disney movie and maybe even animated movie ever. The plot is very compelling and kept me guessing, and the film is insanely socially relevant with themes that resonate well today about racism and discrimination that hits hard without beating you over the head with it. There's a lot of amazing actors in it, and I love the characters. I highly recommend seeing this film, it got my ass in theaters twice. Plus, anything with Breaking Bad references and Tommy Choung cameos is golden.

The Mothman Prophesies: My favorite horror film/ psychological thriller. Not much to say about this one other than it is a constant mindfuck and is genuinely unsettling. It's a solid example of a film that can be a really effective horror film without gore.

Interstellar: Holy. Crap. This is one of the most captivating and jaw dropping films I've seen that has some of the most astonishing scenes with real scientific basis I've seen. There is a sense of wonder and discovery that's so rare to see in films that it's a shame this is one of those movies I will never be able to see again for the first time. Couple that with a crippling sense of loss and heartbreak and you have yourself one of the finest movies ever made.

I can go on, but those are the ones I wanted to mention.

The Cat Returns
Ratatouille
Deadpool- going to see it for the third time tomorrow so long as my friend does not back out
Felidae
Sword of the Stranger
K: Missing Kings
The Princess Bride

... I must have missed these completely... o_o

sorta spoiler warning]

When Judy and Nick find the Night Howler lab in the abandoned subway car, the yellow jumpsuit and blue chemicals are a pretty clear homage, and Doug straight up addresses the two other rams as Jesse and Walter.

Interstellar: Holy. Crap. This is one of the most captivating and jaw dropping films I've seen that has some of the most astonishing scenes with real scientific basis I've seen. There is a sense of wonder and discovery that's so rare to see in films that it's a shame this is one of those movies I will never be able to see again for the first time. Couple that with a crippling sense of loss and heartbreak and you have yourself one of the finest movies ever made.

I can go on, but those are the ones I wanted to mention.

I frequently rewatch scenes from Interstellar. Just various clips.

But the one I have watched the most is the "Make Him Stay, Murph!" Scene where he's behind the bookcase.

My God, that scene always makes me feel.

sorta spoiler warning]

When Judy and Nick find the Night Howler lab in the abandoned subway car, the yellow jumpsuit and blue chemicals are a pretty clear homage, and Doug straight up addresses the two other rams as Jesse and Walter.
Sweet reference. :3
But not so sweet hider. :P

I frequently rewatch scenes from Interstellar. Just various clips.

But the one I have watched the most is the "Make Him Stay, Murph!" Scene where he's behind the bookcase.

My God, that scene always makes me feel.

The part that gets me is when he's catching up on all the years that passed over the video recordings. It hits hard.

The part that gets me is when he's catching up on all the years that passed over the video recordings. It hits hard.

Oh... God... That scene...

I'm going to watch the film when I get home tomorrow, just to see it again.

The Proposal because it's soooooooo good!
Then the Charlie's Angel movies
Then Mulan
:yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.