Status
Not open for further replies.
In no particular order:

+ The Seven Samurai / Yojimbo

+ Army of Darkness

+ Star Wars (A New Hope)

+ 13th Warrior

Reactions: OnI6470
I'm surprised to see the 13th Warrior brought up so many times. I felt like one of the only people who openly love that movie.

I'm surprised to see the 13th Warrior brought up so many times. I felt like one of the only people who openly love that movie.

Yeah, I don't understand the negativity. I mean, Antonio Banderas was passable, but the Viking world they created was so rich. And, all the characters were memorable individuals.

Yeah, I don't understand the negativity. I mean, Antonio Banderas was passable, but the Viking world they created was so rich. And, all the characters were memorable individuals.

It's one of those rare instances the film adaptation is so much better than the novel.

Reactions: Sterling
Interstellar - What Dervish said is pretty much what I'd say. This movie is amazing in practically every aspect, and I can't get enough of it. There's a sense of awe practically the whole way through, and there's no movie I enjoy more than one that explores space-- really explores it. Gravity's got nothing on this movie in my opinion.

Avatar - Not so much storywise, it's just very visually appealing. I could spend hours staring and listening to the soundtrack, which is equally appealing.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - My first in-theaters Star Wars. It's last scene is something I used to think about a lot as a kid.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - I just like it.

Star Trek: The Voyage Home - It's so ridiculous that you can't help but love it. Some pretty memorable moments and humor, too.

Mad Max - Old and new. Practically anything taking place in some post-apocalyptic world is entertaining to me.

Saving Private Ryan - Same with RotJ. I just like it.

Zombieland - It's entertaining and has zombies. Good enough for me.

Reactions: Dervish
Interstellar - What Dervish said is pretty much what I'd say. This movie is amazing in practically every aspect, and I can't get enough of it. There's a sense of awe practically the whole way through, and there's no movie I enjoy more than one that explores space-- really explores it. Gravity's got nothing on this movie in my opinion.

Avatar - Not so much storywise, it's just very visually appealing. I could spend hours staring and listening to the soundtrack, which is equally appealing.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - My first in-theaters Star Wars. It's last scene is something I used to think about a lot as a kid.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - I just like it.

Star Trek: The Voyage Home - It's so ridiculous that you can't help but love it. Some pretty memorable moments and humor, too.

Mad Max - Old and new. Practically anything taking place in some post-apocalyptic world is entertaining to me.

Saving Private Ryan - Same with RotJ. I just like it.

Zombieland - It's entertaining and has zombies. Good enough for me.

Gravity is a heart attack in a Blu Ray case. I loved it, but agreed that Interstellar was really something special.

And I was actually thinking of giving Avatar an honourable mention, the film is absolutely beautiful and is one if those rare times where seeing it in 3D is worth it. Plus, Steven Lang is amazing. We need more of him.

Reactions: Dipper
... Jesus dude, I know we joke about drift compatability all the time, but literally the first words out of my mouth when I heard Cable was in Deadpool 2 was Steven Lang.
He's actively campaigning for the role, sending pictures of himself at the gym to the producers. It's one thing when an actor is a good fit for the role, it's another when they actually love the character. One of the reasons Reynolds did so well is that he freaken is DeadPool. Lang seems to actually be a huge fan of Cable in the comic-books, and I would love to see him get the role.

98932678.jpg

Oh, God; as a movie fanatic, I could go on forever... (these are in no particular order, by the way)

Spider-Man 2 (2004): What is perhaps my most favorite movie of all time and undoubtedly my most favorite superhero film, I loved this movie dearly as a kid and still love it dearly today. There was great action that was never cut away from and was superbly compelling, VFX which at times looked completely real, and very gripping interactions between characters as well as the struggle of Peter Parker attempting to balance his regular life with his life as Spider-Man. If you are into superhero films but have not watched this one, go watch it now.

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (2015): Heh heh; this should be kind of obvious, given my profile... No, I don't love this movie just because it was so highly hyped back from when it was first announced. It really was a breath of fresh air despite its similarities to 'Episode IV', especially after the atrocities that were the prequel films (save for 'Episode III'... That one wasn't entirely bad). Amazing practical and computerized VFX, intriguing characters of different sorts, and a very three-dimensional villain who was not your typical "I'm a trained badass who spends most of my time monologuing and shit" villain. He was extremely persistent with what he was after and didn't waste time with getting stuff done, but he was also kind of inept with the ways of the Force and was very unstable, making him to be the most innovative villain ever put to film for a very long time.

Captain America - The Winter Soldier (2014): So, the first movie was decent. But damn, did Cap kick a lot of ass in this one. Cool plot and character interactions, but I just can't help to make the fight scenes the core highlight of this movie; they were well-choreographed through and through, and also felt totally brutal. I'm a sucker for a good fight scene... You show me one that's really good, and I'm pulled in.

Malcolm X (1992): A film that I very recently watched, this film chronicles the struggle of the real-life person of the same name as he goes from being a crook to an activist for the rights of black people. It's moving, it's tense, and it's a good watch in spite of its length.

Cloverfield (2008): This... Oh my God. This was a monster movie that had me shitting my pants from the moment things got kickstarted. The first movie to start the found-footage craze which follows the exploits of a group of people attempting to survive a night in New York City when a giant-ass monster attacks out of nowhere, this'll give you plenty of chills and make you feel like you're right there within the action and terror... You know. Provided that you can deal with the shakiness of the camera and stuff.

Deadpool (2016): Need I say more? After the absolute disaster that 20th Century Fox pulled with 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine', they managed to fix the lovable Merc With A Mouth and give him a comic-book adaptation that was very faithful, packing plenty of over-the-top humour and violence. Wait, what? Plenty of fourth wall breaking, too? I have no idea what you're talking about... There isn't even a fourth wall in that movie to begin with.

Freddy vs. Jason (2004): Yes, I'm aware that this movie was not particularly well-received amongst critics. But when two of the world's most famous horror movie serial killers are pitted up against each other in a crossover of epic proportions... there was just no way I couldn't love this movie when I was younger, and not love it even today. Oh, right; I'm also still waiting on a sequel.

Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980): My favorite 'Star Wars' movie in the Original Trilogy. The practical effects were so much better than most of the poor excuses for CGI effects that are put to film today, the dueling felt realistic and the plot was very entertaining... Most of us also are aware of that famous plot twist which is hard not to come across even if you're not a fan of the movies, and is of course still well-recognized for how damn surprising it was to everyone finding it out for the first time.

The Dark Knight (2008): The superhero movie which almost absolutely revolutionized the theme for most other superhero movies following, this was a superhero film that was grounded in realism and gave off a very gritty kind of feel that had once been untouched territory until this movie's release. In a good way, it was absolutely nerve-racking, and Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker is undeniably the second best behind Mark Hamill's flawless voice work behind that same character.

Kung Fu Panda (2008): My most favorite animated movie, hands down. For a kids' movie, the plot is surprisingly deep, the character relationships are also very heartfelt and believable, and the fight scenes were very well animated. Not to mention all the genuinely hilarious humour involved. It's fun for the whole family.

And those are all the ones I can think of right now.

The Princess Bride
How could I forget this one!?!

I've tried a million times to get my kids to watch this movie, but they get as far as the part where Wesley becomes a pirate and they tell me they're bored. :(

I'm terrible at picking absolute favorites, but here are a few (in no particular order):

Ladyhawke (1985)
The Eye (2002) (The Cantonese version, not the remake)
The Crow (1994)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Willow (1988)
The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
A shitton of others which I could go on about forever

I've tried a million times to get my kids to watch this movie, but they get as far as the part where Wesley becomes a pirate and they tell me they're bored. :(
Kids these days

Strap them down and go Clockwork Orange on them.

Strap them down and go Clockwork Orange on them.
I've tried every trick in the book. Hell, I even made it a movie night promising them brownie sundaes and extra popcorn, but it was a no go. /sigh I'm just waiting until they all come down with the flu and they're too sick to fight me on it, then I'll force it on them.

I've tried every trick in the book. Hell, I even made it a movie night promising them brownie sundaes and extra popcorn, but it was a no go. /sigh I'm just waiting until they all come down with the flu and they're too sick to fight me on it, then I'll force it on them.
Taking a page from Grandpa's book, I see.

In no particular order:

• Zootopia
  • The Martian
  • Back to the Future parts 1 and 2 (3 was meh)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • The Lego Movie
  • Jurassic Park
  • Inside Out
  • Deadpool

In no particular order:

• Zootopia
  • The Martian
  • Back to the Future parts 1 and 2 (3 was meh)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
  • The Lego Movie
  • Jurassic Park
  • Inside Out
  • Deadpool
Everything on your list, except for Zootopia, The Martian, an Deadpool (Because I haven't seen any of them.) I think I've watched The Lego Movie at least a hundred times, and I still can't get bored with it.

Reactions: Hatsune Candy
Status
Not open for further replies.