You Have to Work for it

Michael stared down at Tyler blankly as he wiped away his tears and apologized. "Don't apologize." He mumbled, stretching out his limbs. He gave his step brother a shrug. "Make whatever you've got in the fridge, I don't care." He turned on his heel and headed down the hall, calling back to Tyler, "Taking a shower. Be down in 20." Not that he actually cared if Tyler knew what he was doing; the little twerp was probably grateful for the time away from him.

Tyler waited until Michael was gone before he went down the stairs to the kitchen. He began cooking, deciding on breaded chicken with macaroni and cheese and a light salad. He made the salad and then left it to just sit for a bit on the table. He set the table for Michael to eat. He'd rather eat in the kitchen. He began making the macaroni and cheese and then frying the chicken that he had already cleaned earlier that day when Michael arrived. He sighed, finishing that up. He then made some iced green tea with honey and a bit of orange juice.

After awhile Michael came bounding down the stairs, sniffing the air and smelling something good. Hm, it wasn't a bad choice to appoint Tyler as the chef for now. If it were him he'd probably just order pizzas. He was drying his hair with a towel, wearing only a pair of boxers when he strode into the kitchen. "I only see one place set at the table. Aren't we eating together?" He questioned, eyes smoldering as his head cocked to the side and he placed the towel around his shoulders.

"I was gonna go shower after you were done and then come down to eat," he said, serving Michael a nice serving of mac n cheese and two big pieces of chicken and he left the home made dressing on the table for him to use with the salad. "Also... can I have my clothes back?" he asked Michael. He wanted his clothes and he didn't want to let him know he had clothes hidden for himself.

"That's fine. Thanks," he muttered, taking the food and then a seat at the table. Michael started munching at his salad after pouring some dressing on it when he heard Tyler ask for his clothes back. Michael leaned back in his chair, a mischievous glint in his eye as he smirked at his step-brother. "That depends...how badly do you want them?" He was joking of course, having Tyler lock himself in his room again would piss only him off. Michael barely looked anything other than annoyed, so he thought that much would be clear.

Tyler did not look amused. "You said you would bug me anymore," he said softly, crossing his arms. He looked tired like he could drop right now from exhaustion. He wanted to just shower, eat his dinner, clean the kitchen and then go to bed. He was just so tired and he had work tomorrow as well, for the same time. He worked to pay for the house and expenses, he had done this before Michael had come into his life. He even worked while going to school. He would always take the night shifts during the week and then work full days during the weekends.

Well, he thought it was kinda amusing. Michael looked at him dismissively and rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Go shower." He went back to stabbing at his food and eating. He thought perhaps Tyler would actually cave and he'd get what he wanted, or at least lighten the mood a tiny bit with a bit of dry humor. That however didn't seem to work on Tyler. He shrugged it off, figuring the kid was probably tired, and that's how average teenagers got - crabby and cranky.

He sighed and rubbed his forehead. "I need my clothes to change into my pjs, please just tell me where they are," he wasn't in the mood for this crap. He was hungry and tired and he just wanted to eat and then go to bed.

"Under your dad's bed. Not that hard to find." He snapped at the other, glaring at him from the corner of his eye. Yes, this kid was grating on his nerves again though it wasn't exactly Tyler's fault. Michael just had a short temper that had him regretting their truce. Taking a deep breath he just decided to let it go and bite the bullet.

Tyler looked upset but he didn't say anything. That wasn't his dads bed, it was his moms. His dad was never home. He left Michael there and went to grab his clothes. He grabbed the garbage bags and went back to his room. He grabbed his clothes and then went to shower. He sighed and showered quickly, washing his body and washing his hair. He sighed when he finally got out of the shower. He dried off and got dressed in the bathroom. He got out, going to his room and leaving his towel in there to dry. He then went back to the kitchen and served himself, while putting the left overs in tupperware and putting it into the fridge. He sighed, washing the dishes and then drying everything and cleaned everything until it was spotless. He sat down at the table, having a glass of his iced green tea. He sighed softly to himself. He finished eating and then cleaned his dishes. He yawned and rubbed his forehead. He left the kitchen spotless and then went back to his room. He didn't bother saying goodnight, he just went to his room, locking the door and blocking it off with his bed once more. He didn't trust Michael at all to leave him alone at night.

After Tyler had gone up to his room for bed, Michael hopped to his feet from his spot on the couch and sauntered on upstairs. He headed to Tyler's room, trying the door knob, wiggling it. When it didn't budge he nearly laughed mostly because he expected it. He just wanted to test his theory out. "You didn't say goodnight, brat. So...night. See you in the morning." He spoke through the door, just to make himself not seem suspicious or anything. The very last thing he wanted to do was keep Tyler locking himself in his room. With a heavy sigh he started back downstairs, making sure to make his footsteps loud enough so Tyler would be aware he was leaving.

Tyler was listening to music when Michael had come by. He had his headphones in and was curled up in bed. He fell asleep after a few hours. The night was uneventful, thanks to him locking the door behind him. He woke at the usual time. He took a quick shower and then got dressed for work. He went down stairs and made breakfast. Today he made french toast, eggs and bacon. He put a nice large portion into a plate and then covered it. He left a note on it and then cleaned up. He left for work once the kitchen was clean.

Had to go to work early today. I'll be home at 4:30. I made breakfast for you. I have to go food shopping too so I'm going to go right after work, text me if you want something specific. My number is 435-980-0051. See you later
-Tyler.

Michael awoke maybe an hour or two after Tyler left. The smell of food made him head into the kitchen, immediately grabbing the plate made for him and digging in. Though he grabbed the note before he did, reading it as he ate. Why Tyler left him food, a note and even his cell number was way beyond him. The kid definitely hated his guts, but he was still pretty considerate. Shaking his head he smirked to himself, pulling out his phone to send him a text. Hmm. Pick me up a can of whipped cream and some hand cuffs while you're out? Well, he knew Tyler wasn't very fond of his jokes so he quickly sent after it, P.S. Don't get your boxers all in a twist, I'm kidding.

Tyler felt his phone vibrate and he checked it, frowning at the messages. He sighed, adding the number to his phone. He finished sweeping and putting the chairs down in his area of work. He worked as a few different things in his job. He worked as a waiter and at the cash register and when the cook was sick, as assistant cook in the kitchen. Haha very funny Michael. But seriously, what do you want me to get? I have to go now. I have to work the kitchen.

Michael snickered quietly when his phone beeped, signaling Tyler returned his text. He quickly replied despite knowing the other wouldn't be able to get back to him; I was serious about the whipped cream. And..tacos. Yeah. See you when you get home. With a sigh he hit send, then kicked his feet up on the coffee table...man, he really needed to get himself a job. Staying at home all summer with nothing good to do was boring.

Hours passed and Tyler came home around 6:30. He was so tired and had gotten everything on his mental list plus a few things for Michael. He began carrying things into the house, sighing to himself as he did so. He looked exhausted and he had his forearm wrapped up with bandages. He had burned himself at work and his boss gave him the next day off. He sighed though, bringing everything in before locking his car and then going into the kitchen. He began putting things away. He got stuff to make taco's for dinner and a few cans of whipped cream and a few other things. He had everything away before he sat down and set his head against the table. His arm was throbbing and he was so tired.

At around 6:30 Michael heard the door open and shut, and got up from his spot on the couch. He'd been just hanging out most of the day, not really having much to do around the house, especially since it wasn't his own. He found Tyler at the table with his head down and pulled a chair out for himself. "Hey, punk." He greeted the other, eying the bandages wrapped around his forearm. No way was he cooking with his arm like that. "What'd you do to yourself? And forget dinner, I'll just order pizza. It's easier anyhow."

"The cook was sick so I had to cook at work and someone spilled water and I slipped and burned my arm on the griddle," he said his voice sounding tired. "I got the whip cream and stuff to make taco's," he said not moving his head off the table. "Boss gave me the day off tomorrow," he added after a little while. He lifted his head then rubbed his eyes. He had burned his arm just a few hours before he had to leave to go food shopping. And he still went food shopping even though he was in pain. He wanted to go shower and then put some burn cream on his arm.

"I can see that you went food shipping. Cook tomorrow, I'm ordering food so you don't have to cook. Understand?" He said to Tyler, voice hard and leaving no room for argument. "Now go take a shower." Michael leaned back in his chair, eying Tyler's body still slumped against the table with a glare. "What are you waiting for?" He was actually thinking about tomorrow considering Tyler would actually be home rather than at work, plus he wouldn't be like a dead tired zombie. That wasn't any fun at all, let alone amusing, plus it was already boring enough around here - which was another reason he was so pissed about having to stay.

"Also I bought a new video game, it came in the mail, so you can play the games if you want. Everything is attached in the basement," he said standing up and leaving the small thin box on the table. He left and went up the stairs to his room. He grabbed his stuff and went to go shower. He wrapped his bandages in plastic bags and then washed up. When he was finished he dried and got dressed. He then replaced the bandages and put burn cream over the red flesh. He wrapped his arm once more, cleaning up after himself and then heading down stairs. he had a sweater on and he grabbed the box and then went to the basement door. "Want to play? I have a lot of video games," he suggested to Michael, taking a pain killer.