Weird or random facts about yourself? (TMI warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
calling yourself a "female form connoisseur" makes it sound like women are nothing more than something to be tried and tossed aside if you don't like them. So what if you said should? You're still putting restrictions on women because of body type, and that comes off as sexist.

This! This shit right here! It is objectifying whether you realize it or not.

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
And you're making drastic assumptions about a total stranger based on a tiny portion of text on a RolePlay forum...

Which makes you look like the dumbest, most ignorant and pathetic life form on the planet.

You simply MUST be American. There's no other explanation besides mental disability.

95b

Reactions: 3 people
And you're making drastic assumptions about a total stranger based on a tiny portion of text on a RolePlay forum...

Which makes you look like the dumbest, most ignorant and pathetic life form on the planet.

You simply MUST be American. There's no other explanation besides mental disability.

I believe you are doing the same, yes?

• Love
Reactions: 1 person

Wow. Now you're bringing up mental illness as well. What a gem!

Look, you said you 'love' women. Your words and actions indicate otherwise. You can say you love women until you're blue in the face, but when you use words like 'female form connoisseur' and tell women that they should wear a bra, otherwise it's not 'classy or attractive,' it says that you don't respect them. Saying that you hate men doesn't really help your cause either, because it just tells me that you're sticking women on a pedestal which is totally unnecessary and honestly a little offensive.

We're making assumptions because of what you did, and what you wrote. No, we do not know you in real life, but when you post things publicly for other people to read, you should realize that others are going to judge you from those words. They are going to make judgments about you and your character. First impressions are important.

If you had said "oh, sorry, I didn't realize that was upsetting," I don't think anyone would continue to view you in this way. Instead you went on to insult and demean other users. That doesn't really help create a better impression.

Also, I'm Canadian. Just so you know.

Last edited:
Getting a little out of hand, are we?

Guys, putting aside the fact that he imposed his beliefs on our well-endowed female friends, the use of the word "connoisseur" is not, in my opinion, distasteful at all. Again, taking the statement ON ITS OWN without relating it to the bra sentiment.

If someone said "I'm a wine connoisseur," that means that person really likes wine. Probably enjoys several different types of wine. Enjoys talking about wine. Enjoys learning about, and understanding everything about wine.

I don't feel this is much different. I'm not trying to defend him, but I think we're being unreasonable in ganging up on and attacking him for expressing his opinions. Being a connoisseur of the female form (not the first time I've heard that phrase btw) simply means he has an appreciation for the female form. It doesn't mean he expects women to go out of their way to please him. It doesn't mean he has an expectation of what "good" female form is. Hell, I'd consider myself a connoisseur of the female form too. I love it. All types, all shapes, all sizes.

I don't see it as objectifying at all.

Now, regarding the bra comment, give the guy a break. I feel like we're subjecting him to a bit of a double-standard.

Hypothetically, if I had said the flip:

"I think guys with huge dongs should wear briefs instead of loose undergarments like boxers, and they definitely should never go commando. I don't want to see that shit flopping around!"

I don't think I would've experienced NEARLY the same amount of backlash that he did. But I am doing the same: I'm expressing my opinion. Whether you agree or disagree with my opinion is something we can discuss in a civil manner. And maybe when faced with a sound argument, I might change my opinion. I am NOT putting a restriction on people. That statement is simply saying that I don't agree with the choice made by well-endowed men to just let it all hang loose.

But don't attack the guy simply for expressing himself. This was meant to be a light-hearted discussion, and while it certainly can evolve into something else, the only way we can have meaningful conversations is to allow others to express their opinions so we can discuss them. Not quarrel or bicker over them. By attacking, we discourage people from expressing themselves, and especially in a place like Iwaku where roleplay is ALL ABOUT expressing yourself, why would we do that? Talk about the opinion, folks. Don't attack it. And certainly don't encourage people to attack it.

This is not to say that Michael has done no wrong; I disagree with the way he responded and has been responding, because he has been attacking and condescending as well. But everyone just needs to relax.

(For the record, I am not actually of the opinion that well-endowed guys should do that. I was simply using it as a hypothetical.)

Last edited:
- I was born and raised in Italy till I was 11, England for another 4 years, and then the United States for the past 8 years.
- I have a lot of scars. If you closed your eyes and touched a part of my body, more than likely you'll find some sort of scar.
- Most of my scars are covered by freckles.
- I am 5 foot, even.
- I have been clean and sober for fours years, on July 18.
- I once wanted to join the circus; I wanted to be an aerialist.
- I have 3 tattoos: the name Christina on my left wrist, an Italian prayer on my right forearm, and a colorful 'X' on my left cheek.
- My favorite piece of clothing is a navy blazer, with funky elephant cuff links.
- I am allergic to soda or something in the soda.
- I hate dishes and laundry but love organizing and color-coordinating everything.
- I am learning sign language.

Getting a little out of hand, are we?

Guys, putting aside the fact that he imposed his beliefs on our well-endowed female friends, the use of the word "connoisseur" is not, in my opinion, distasteful at all. Again, taking the statement ON ITS OWN without relating it to the bra sentiment.

If someone said "I'm a wine connoisseur," that means that person really likes wine. Probably enjoys several different types of wine. Enjoys talking about wine. Enjoys learning about, and understanding everything about wine.

I don't feel this is much different. I'm not trying to defend him, but I think we're being unreasonable in ganging up on and attacking him for expressing his opinions. Being a connoisseur of the female form (not the first time I've heard that phrase btw) simply means he has an appreciation for the female form. It doesn't mean he expects women to go out of their way to please him. It doesn't mean he has an expectation of what "good" female form is. Hell, I'd consider myself a connoisseur of the female form too. I love it. All types, all shapes, all sizes.

I don't see it as objectifying at all.

Now, regarding the bra comment, give the guy a break. I feel like we're subjecting him to a bit of a double-standard.

Hypothetically, if I had said the flip:

"I think guys with huge dongs should wear briefs instead of loose undergarments like boxers, and they definitely should never go commando. I don't want to see that shit flopping around!"

I don't think I would've experienced NEARLY the same amount of backlash that he did. But I am doing the same: I'm expressing my opinion. Whether you agree or disagree with my opinion is something we can discuss in a civil manner. And maybe when faced with a sound argument, I might change my opinion. I am NOT putting a restriction on people. Just saying that I don't agree with the choice made by well-endowed men to just let it all hang loose.

But don't attack the guy simply for expressing himself. This was meant to be a light-hearted discussion, and while it certainly can evolve into something else, the only way we can have meaningful conversations is to allow others to express their opinions so we can discuss them. Not quarrel or bicker over them. By attacking, we discourage people from expressing themselves, and especially in a place like Iwaku where roleplay is ALL ABOUT expressing yourself, why would we do that? Talk about the opinion, folks. Don't attack it. And certainly don't encourage people to attack it.

This is not to say that Michael has done no wrong; I disagree with the way he has and has been responding, because he has been attacking and condescending as well. But everyone just needs to relax.

(For the record, I am not actually of the opinion that well-endowed guys should do that. I was simply using it as a hypothetical.)

But many other women did find it objectifying. Had he not prefaced his statement with his opinion on women wearing bras, I still would have raised eyebrows at the term 'female form connoisseur.' You mentioned wine in comparison, but wine is an object. It is inanimate. It is something you consume. Women are human beings. To me, that's the difference.

I don't think you need to find something upsetting or sexist just because other people do. However, I think it's a little disingenuous to say "I didn't take this in this way, so you guys are kind of overreacting and should not be upset about it." Many users here didn't appreciate his comments. Also, saying things like this:

"There's NOTHING less attractive than sloppy, saggy breasts chillin' under fabric."

Isn't exactly a neutral response. Offensive or not, that's rude as hell. That's when people started getting snippy. Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, just like everyone else is entitled to disagree with your opinion. When it's a rude opinion, people likely are not going to respond in kind.

I agree that we should probably stop the discussion because people are getting upset about it. I just wanted to respond to a couple of your points.

Regardless the opinions on the matter, I agree that discussion on that post should probably stop. Let's get back to the original thread topic, shall we?

- I have a fascination with SUVs. I don't own one currently but would like to in the future. Maybe it's because I plan to have a family someday but I REFUSE to drive a mom-van!

- I change iPhone cases almost as often as I change clothes. I have 6 cases that I cycle through whenever I feel like it, and sometimes I just leave my iPhone naked because... I like to live dangerously I guess. =P

- I know very little about the inner-workings of computer hardware, but just the other day I swapped out a video card all by myself, and feel very proud of that fact. People who actually know about computers will laugh at this saying it's "easy," BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME DAMMIT

- I am a hardcore grammar Nazi enthusiast. I don't usually correct others unless they ask me to or the mistake changes the meaning of the sentence, though. But I am really harsh on my own grammar.

- I have a very real fear that the zombie apocalypse could, can, and will happen someday. I'm serious. Arm yourselves.

- I enjoy the act of skinny dipping. I find it oddly freeing.

- I am a hardcore grammar Nazi enthusiast. I don't usually correct others unless they ask me to or the mistake changes the meaning of the sentence, though. But I am really harsh on my own grammar.

If that is the case, then why did you start a sentence with a conjunction? :P

If that is the case, then why did you start a sentence with a conjunction? :P
Because it's not technically incorrect! It would be the same as starting a sentence with "however."

That rule is something grade school teachers say to their young students to prevent them from forming sentences like "I like spaghetti. But not meatballs."

At least, that's my understanding lol.

Probably. I like to nitpick sometimes for fun. I am unashamedly in the grammar Nazi camp rather than the enthusiast camp. I think that, technically, the most correct way is to lower case the conjunction and just replace the period with a comma. Heil grammar. XD

Random fact about me: I really don't like posting actual pictures of my characters, because 99% of the time they don't fit the mental image in my head, and I can't draw well enough to draw my own...

-Random fact about me: I now have a better standing of objectification due to this thread. Apparently, comparing a woman to an inanimate, unthinking object is the literal definition! I hadn't put that much thought into it before. ^^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Objectification

-I can't stand scented candles. They're all choking and fake. Most perfume, potpourri, and a lot of lotions and soaps are also out. :c They can sometimes trigger migraine-like headaches.

-I don't strongly identify with my gender- though I'm very strongly female I'm not at all committed to being feminine, and I enjoy embracing my "masculine side" as well. ^^

-I only have 10 days until college decisions come back! :O I can't wait to know for sure where I'm going.

-I only have 10 days until college decisions come back! :O I can't wait to know for sure where I'm going.

GO TO THE ONE WITH THE MOST AWESOME MASCOT!!! I'm actually super curious where you're considering/what you're going for.

Go to any school in California, because the weather here is just better!

Oh, and the schools are pretty good, too.

Right now, The University of Chicago is my first choice. I'm so fucking excited! Although I don't actually know the mascot... an eagle, I think? I don't really do sports, so mascots wind up being a bit irrelevant to me. XD Though that one school with the hagfish is fucking awesome.
Cali is nice, but expensive. ;_; My fallback is Texas A&M- nice and cheap. Though Reveille is really a mediocre mascot.

Anthropology with an archae focus, but if I go to uChi I'll also do Big Problems, or if I go to A&M I'll dual major with ento and maybe get a minor in some other liberal art.

Status
Not open for further replies.