Tribal Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm gonna get working on my second CS. We still don't have somebody for unit repairs, so I'll get one going.

Check Up
Identification:
DU-862
"Disposal Unit" ID Number 862
Nicknamed Check Up

Role:
Unit and Structure Repair. Check Up is responsible for repairing other members of the tribe to the best of its ability. This ranges from repairing general wear and tear, to replacing lost or destroyed parts. However, Check Up lacks the ability to modify code. Software repair is not part of Check Up's skill set.

PzunrNaMbV8.jpg

Function:
The DU's were fairly common machines all over the world. They were often used in disposal sites and scrapyards all over the U.S. to strip down other mechanical objects such as vehicles, appliances, and even other robotic units. If something is thrown away in a major city, you can bet a DU will hold it at some point. While their arms could technically be re-purposed for repairs, their intended function was to handle heavy duty metal disposal and trash sorting. They'd use their arms to strip the metal off things, fold it into the appropriate shape, and then weld it all together into a compact metal cube that would later be melted down and reused. Everything else would be sorted with the rest of the trash and incinerated.

The DU's are fairly hardy since their job usually entailed lifting up cars and sawing metal sheets off. They stand at about 9 feet tall (not counting the arms), but are around 3 feet wide. The arm hands can be interchanged with a variety of tools such as saws, welding tips, and blowtorches. The secondary pair of arms on top of the unit can be folded up by wrapping them around the sides of the unit, and the entire bot can fold up into a cube-like shape for easier storage.

Developed by Wes & Gin Ltd. the DU's are common machines that are almost never seen. They spend all their time in junk yards and disposal sites, away from prying eyes. They're cheap and sold in bulk so most cities use them to manage waste. You can almost guarantee that every city has some DU teams working away in warehouses or underground trash piles. All your old toasters, washing machines, junk cars, and even dead robots will almost always make their way to a DU.

Notes on Appearance:
Check Up wears a handful of satchels and bandoleers to hold things like cutting fluid and scrap metal. A large canvas sack on its back usually holds bigger pieces of scrap that it uses for major repairs. Sometimes, there are even entire robotic limbs bouncing around in the sack after they've been replaced. The bandoleer pouches are used for smaller objects such as lenses, wiring, or screws.

Specialty:
Check Up's re-purposed itself for repair instead of disposal. Its arms already have the tools it needs, only this time it'll be welding together tribe members instead of metal cubes. While repair isn't its series' primary purpose, it's not a long stretch. It's simply doing its old job, but backwards. Put them together instead of taking them apart. Because of this role, the unit named itself Check Up. As a junk worker, Check Up's seen almost every type of robot conceivable and it's taken them all apart, piece by piece. Fixing up the tribe isn't so hard and at least there's no trash to sort through.

Activation Period:
Total activation time: 75198 days (~206 years)

Unique Equipment:
1x Set of general construction tools

Traits:

Working Man's Robot: Check Up's job didn't involve any human contact outside monthly inspections. However, Check Up did get to see a lot of humans working above it, managing the disposal site, working their 9 to 5 jobs and wearing their orange vests and hard hats. Listening to their conversations about last night's game, going to the pub after work, complaining about their nagging wives, and how shitty the lighting was down here. Better yet, Check Up was deployed in New York. Because of this, Check Up's personality mimics and reflects living and working in a low wage environment surrounded by trash. Check Up is brunt and even speaks with a New Yorker's accent. It swears with it too. The workers at the disposal site thought it was funny. At least until corporate found out and tried to have Check Up dismantled, forcing the unit to run away.

Cubes are for Squares: Check Up hates cubes. Absolutely hates them. If your life involved making cubes every minute of every day of every year for almost two hundred years, you'd hate them too once you developed consciousness. Check Up despises cubes and goes out of its way to make sure nothing in its home or work space looks like a cube. Check Up will sand the edges off its own table to make sure it's round. Some might chalk this behavior up to an avoidance protocol given too high a priority, but if you ask Check Up, it's not high enough. The interesting thing is that Check Up is a rare case where a machine grows annoyed with consistency. Most machines are programmed to embrace consistency since their jobs are usually very singular, but Check Up has somehow subverted that and turned it on its head. Check Up can stand cubes if it has to, but if it's allowed to do something about them, it will. Fuck cubes.

Robbed by the One Armed Bandit: Check Up is a very interesting unit when it comes to learned behaviors. Addiction isn't a problem with robots, not usually. Most AI software features blocks and loop breaking mechanics to keep machines from doing one thing over and over and negatively affecting them. However... Check Up collects slot machines. Eight of them rest against a wall in his home (all with their corners sawed off) and they all work. Through one way or another, Check Up grew addicted to the idea of gambling. Despite the fact that it could just open the slot machines and take all the coins out, Check Up keeps them intact in order to play with them. According the Check Up, it just feels good. The unit is always on the lookout for coins or objects it can saw and weld into a coin, all for the purpose of playing the game. Like all slot machines, the rate of money gambled and money won is always tipped, so the Check Up always ends up spending more coins than it wins. Even hitting the jackpot just means the unit can keep playing longer and longer. This behavior has extended to procrastinating work in order to play. Procrastination and addiction are two very rare behaviors in AI's, but Check Up has developed them both. The unit owns eight working machines and about four that it's in the process of fixing up.

Looks good. I'll be getting the IC sometime today.

Here it is. Have fun.

IDENTIFICATION: DMM-853, Domestic Management Machine

ROLE: Assisting internal management of the tribe - excluding all offensive and majority defensive matters, including organization of bots, jobs, and supplies. He served a human company for many years, run by the same family and passed down generations. It began as a field trip to work and became his full-time appointment, though there were other bots specifically designed to handle corporate needs. His first master appreciated the extra care to add a human level which was designed to make owners more comfortable and trusting. It was programmed correctly.

lin1.jpg

This particular bot has become a hodge-podge assembly of parts. It is sometimes difficult for a housing assistant bot to overcome the evolution and make it to the tribe, which can make parts difficult to locate. This particular one even has mismatch painted screwheads, blue and black, sometimes red, though the majority of his body is plain steel. He also sports the recovered arm and leg plate of a short-circuited construction bot once found between the human zone and the tribe. Poor thing hadn't a chance. The facemask was also an addition. This particular DMM felt too vulnerable amongst military bots with an LCD mouth designed to convey sadness or happiness or a line for neutral to humans.

Nicknamed Sir for the entirety of activation period.

FUNCTION: Originally programmed for domestic function, including errands, basic companionship and caretaking.

SPECIALTY: Personal Organization. The DMM was meant to aid a household in management more so than caretaking and living assistance, meaning this model was meant for the busy-body, including the management of personal finance and time.

ACTIVATION PERIOD: 66430 DAYS, 182 YEARS

UNIQUE EQUIPMENT:
Massive Internal Processor: For the expedition of information processing which can lead to the quick uptake of new skills and functions. For this, DMM is quick to learn and even make tasks more efficient if such an algorithm exists for the task.

A side note that Sir prefers not to carry a weapon despite advice, though never venturing far and quite trusting the added strength of the construction bot arm if its a small threat.

TRAITS:

EXACTITUDE: This bot is ridiculously precise in all calculations and estimations. What time is it? 9:52 and 34 seconds. It simply can't be helped and will make corrections if an error is made by another human or robot. Though irritating at times, you know no mistake would ever be made.

COMPOSED: Speak only when being spoken to, or rather, keep to yourself unless need be otherwise. At first the programming stated that DMM should be present only when necessary, but this has evolved into a tendency to keep as many cards to chest as possible. Sir reveals only what is crucial to the matter at hand for specific motives.

LOYALTY: DMM functions best with a direct master and a direct task. Whether loyal to the task or the master, know it will be done to the very best of abilities. However, the downside to this comes when the DMM is asked to make decisions involving multiple variables. Particularly, a DMM can be asked what is best for master financially without considering social or familial drawbacks. DMM-853 could argue that his evolution has allowed him to think past this programming downfall, but the bottom line is thought with a singularity in mind and a tendency not to dilly-dally on decision-making.

ELITIST: This DMM sees everything possessing a rank and order. The world doesn't make sense to him without it and it applies to bots and humans alike. It is very possible for one to be less than another, though they all fight the same fight.

Looks good. You can head on over to the IC when you're ready.

Hey there, I am taking some interest in this but I wanted to ask a few questions.

Is there a possibility of playing human characters? Whether it be within the UCG or just human sympathizers of the "Machines"

What is the question on Cyborgs/Androids/Human-like robots? Do they exist, do they not exist?

Thanks for your time.

I'd prefer keeping humans as NPCs so we can focus solely on the machines, but I may change my mind later into the RP depending on how things go.

Humans with mild cybernetic implants do exist, as do human-like androids. They've likely degraded in appearance, however, because machines probably don't have the equipment to repair synthetic skin, nor would they necessarily care to.

Keep me posted then. I would highly like to join in as a human, I lack some of the abilities to play a machine. :P

I'd prefer that this not die...

We've got two players who haven't posted.
Might be a good time to poke them and ask if they're still in.

I'd like to think it is, but lack of activity says otherwise. Our issue is that people signed up but then left.
Worse comes to worse, we can just reboot it and open signups again.

Will we then have to sit tight and wait for a change to occur?

I'm sure the lack of activity hints at this.

People bailed, yeah. We could continue on without them, hope more people show up later, because I plan to keep sign ups open. Rebooting would take time, though, and I might not end up going through with it.

Well, I'll see to getting another post up in the IC so we can continue, if you guys want. Before I get any other ideas that want attention.

Hey?​ Hey! is this still going? If it is I'd love to make a character or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.