To Hate A Dragon

"So you're going to stalk me? You know, though it may not seem that way, Ritesa is pretty strong. He can protect me."she said, wrinkling her nose at Mako's raveling appetite.

"Slow down."she said, and walked to the sink to wash her hands. Sooner or later, she'd have to change her clothes. One glance at the clock told her she had about 30 minutes.

"He may be strong, but he's still human." He stood up and took the plate to the sink where he rinsed it off, then placed it down.

"I won't listen in on your conversation or anything; I won't listen to his supremely important thing he has to tell you. I'll keep my distance, you won't even know I'm there. You really don't have a choice, I'm just letting you know ahead of time."

Alonah turned on her heel, just as she was about to make her way out of the kitchen.

"Fine. But promise to keep your dis--" A far of clang was heard somewhere behind Alonah. By the way it reverberated, she figured it was the heating pipes in the basement acting up. "I'll get it. The heater has been doing that a lot this month. I guess it's because it hasn't been used in a while." she commented before strolling out of the kitchen. As she made her descent downstairs, she couldn't help but weigh the words Mako told her. His parents...his brother...The Order..it must have been so tough to leave them. And yet he did. Now here he is, protecting me. The thud came again before she even walked through the door.

"Alright, stupid heater."she said. Suddenly, a slither of movement was caught in her peripheral vision. For a moment, Alonah thought it was a rat causing her spine to shutter. Tip-toeing up to the heater, she saw the movement across the floor again with her sharp, keen eyes. This time, the visitor stopped at her feet and gazed up at her with black eyes. The creature turned out to be a tiny red dragon, much like the figures in her box. The dragon couldn't possibly have been longer than her her hand or wider than her hand, at that. With one glance over to the box, she saw it tilted open.

"So...you escaped the box, little guy. I didn't even know you all were alive."she said, grinning at the dragon. The tiny creature stepped back on one of it's hind legs and whipped its head in a tiny screech. Remembering the true dragon's roar from being around Mako so much, she chuckled, putting a hand behind her mouth. "I'm sorry, but that was the cutest thing I have ever heard!" she exclaimed. Clearly, the dragon took that as an insult as it screeched again, its voice cracking with strain.

Alonah laughed and went to scoop it up, but instead, it took off towards the stairs. "Hey! Wait!" she exclaimed and took off after it, running up the stairs two at a time. The dragon, for his height, was surprisingly nimble as it scurried through the living room. Alonah caught Mako looking at her peculiarly and she shrugged, still crawling to find the dragon.

"Sorry! I've met a new friend!" she said. A blur of red scurried past her face and, in one quick motion, Alonah's hands wrapped around it's tiny, squirming body.

"Gotcha, you little devi--" As soon as the word "devil" escaped her lips, the dragon shuddered and a blaring red light poured from her hand. Alonah was perplexed through the light, energy, and movement, that she hadn't noticed the tiny creature transforming into a gigantic red beast. The tables were reversed as Alonah finally noticed that she was wrapped in it's claws, instead of her holding it. The dragon blew a foggy breath out through it's nose, knocking china off the shelf. A scream tickled her lungs as she gazed at the dragon's blood red face. It's mouth curled into a malicious smile, bold black eyes darting from her to Kimimako. Before anything more could happen, the beast flapped it's large wings once, hovering above the living room floor, before bursting through the roof of Alonah's house, with Alonah constricted in it's talons.

"MAKOOOO!!"she screamed, the dragon soaring at a high speed through countless of clouds.

"What do you-" He noticed the tiny red dragon she was chasing. "Lonah, NO!"

But it was too late, she had already been taken. "I don't think so. Hold on Alonah, I'm coming!" He shouted, though she probably wouldn't hear him. He looked down at his torso and injury, but ignored it. He let out a loud battle cry, and in a brilliant flash of blue and white he became a dragon, and his cry became a roar. With a powerful, anger fueled push from his wings, he flew threw the previously made hole in the house. The red dragon was fast, but not fast enough, as Mako was able to cut it off, hovering in his flight path.

"Let her go."

Alonah caught a flash of blue before she finally halted to a stop, the gripping claws yanking her body violently. The red dragon spread its wings out to stop it's decent, facing a blue dragon that was doing the same.

"Let her go." If his eyes could get any darker, they would've been pitch black, identical to the monster that held her in a deafening grasp. The grip was slowly squeezing her lung pressure, making it that much more difficult to breath.

"Pathetic. I was just inducted and my mission was this easy? I'm actually disappointed. I thought the great Kimimako Natsuri was an 'opponent that must not be underestimated.' Tch. Those old geezurs don't know what their talking about. If this was any easier, I would've brought cake."the red dragon said with a crude snap of it's jaws.

"Luckily, I know why the others failed. They were too busy trying to keep the precious girl intact. Me, on the other hand, I think 'barely alive' would still be a plus."he said, mouth curling into another sneer. Without warning, a single claw pierced violently through Alonah's stomach tearing through her skin and muscles like cotton. A loud, ear-splitting scream escaped Alonah's mouth as a white light seared her eyes. The pain was intense and unexpected, but her adrenaline she possessed before being taken cold not allow her to slip into unconsciousness. Her next scream was mingled with tears this time and the dragon did nothing but chuckle.

"Beautiful. But she's not the only one to experience pain, Kimimako."the dragon snarled, flapping its wings slowly to keep himself hovered in mid-air. Through the pain, Alonah caught the sound of burning fired somewhere deep within the beast's stomach.

"Mako! Wha-watch out!" she screamed in an agonizing pitch, feeling her stomach lurch from her wound. The red dragon opened it's large, gaping mouth and a blast of fire blew forward toward the blue dragon.

[Sorry for lack of posting. Also, I'm going out of town tomorrow morning and won't be back until Saturday. I won't have internet access the entire time. Sorry :( ]

"Mako! Wha-watch out!"

Mako noticed the dragon preparing something within, and spun to the side as quickly as possible. Just as he moved, a huge stream of fire engulfed his previous location. He was still close enough to feel an immense wave of heat coming from the flames. Mako faced the dragon once more.

"I'm going to rip your body apart for what you've done to her. Anything you do to her, you'll get ten times worse!" With that, he charged the inexperienced dragon at full speed. Before he could react, Mako had already sunk in his large claws into his side. The red dragon roared in pain, and loosened his grip on Alonah, who began plummeting to the ground below. Mako dove straight down after her, ignoring his opponent for the sake of her life.

Completely understandable! ^_^ Have fun on your trip, okay?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The red dragon roared again and licked the wound once. In an instant, the gash on the side of his scaled body began to be sewn together and was instantly healed. He smirked and zoomed after Mako, blowing a large flamethrower after him expertly. Mako flew to the side, avoiding the blast.

Alonah gripped her stomach in pain, screaming as loud as she possibly could. She caught a look in the dragon's green eyes as he pushed himself forward with one rough push of his wings, grabbing her by a single claw.

"THERE'S NO WHERE TO GO, NATSURI!" the dragon behind him exclaimed, blowing another flamethrower towards the two of them. At this point, Alonah turned pale and her breathing started to falter slightly. Too much blood...I'm losing too much blood...she thought, remembering the symptoms of extreme blood loss from her mother's many books and lectures. First, loss of color, then sharp breath intakes, and finally...death.

"Mako..."she whimpered, trying to close out her thoughts of dying. Mako didn't slow, flying away from the roaring red dragon, preparing another blast of fire. The flames were starting to get closer and closer. True, the dragon himself wasn't fast, but the fire was.

"Come on, Natsuri! I don't want to burn her TOO bad!"he cackled with another burst of flame erupting his mouth. Alonah coughed once, squeezing the blue claw that held her. It was only a matter of time before she was completely drained of tears, blood, and life.

Ignoring the taunts of the red dragon, Mako wanted to ensure the safety of Alonah first. "Hold on, lonah!" He roared out loud. "Save your energy and focus on staying alive."

He wasn't sure what to do. He couldn't fight the red dragon with Alonah in his arms, and he couldn't just leave her somewhere, or else she would die. He admitted to himself that he needed help. He then spotted a familiar large clock on a tower in the town. It read 11:57. He was struck with an idea. His first instinct was to turn the plan down, but he knew he had no choice.

"Try and keep up!" He called to the red dragon, speeding away, making sure he had a grip that was just firm enough on Alonah. He flew straight for the nearest office building and dove straight through a large window, transforming back into his human form mid-crash. He instantly pulled a nearby fire alarm and activated the buildings sprinklers. He continued running through the building with Alonah in his arms, and heard his pursuer not far behind. He darted through the building and down a flight of stairs, passing crowds of evacuating employees. When he reached the front exit, he continued his sprint through several other nearby buildings. He continued this until he was at the entrance of the local park. He headed down the path until he could see a boy about his age seated on a park bench.

"Ritesa." He called when he got closer, nearly out of breath. "Take her to the nearest hospital." He put her in his arms, and took off running into the woods before he had a chance to ask any questions.

[I'm back! And thank you very much, I had a great time!]

:D yayy! I missed you! ...i mean... :D yayy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ritesa's eyes darted from the pale and bloody Alonah to Mako who was sprinting into the woods.

"Wait! KIMIMAKO!"he shouted, but to no avail. The boy was already gone into the dense forest. His blue eyes darted down to Alonah, who was breathing in sharp stuttering breaths.

"Lonah! Lonah, what happened to you!?"he yelled, holding her in her arms in fear. Alonah's only response was a small whimper and a deafening tug to his arm. Her mouth opened, trying to tell him something. I'm dying, Ri! Now is not the time to ask me questions!

"Speak to me, Lonah! Speak! Tell me what happened to you!"

Alonah's eyes nearly rolled to the back of her head, the hole in her stomach releasing pint by pint of blood until she would no longer be of that world. Her skin was pale, veins beginning to show. Ritesa's blue eyes scanned her face, a deep expression of fear displayed across it.

"Alonah..."

"..hosp..."

"What? What is it?"

"...tal..."

"Speak, Alonah!"

"...pital...hos...pi...tal..."she murmured, grasping her stomach. Ritesa hesitated for a second then his heart dropped.

"You're dying...We'll never make it time..."he whispered. A tear rolled down her face and passed a sliver of peach hair that lay on her pale cheek. Not something I wanted to hear. Mako...where...are you? Ritesa laid her on the park bench and applied pressure to the wound, though he knew it wouldn't be long before she slipped into unconsciousness. In a quick spur of thought, he reached a bloody hand inside of his pocket and retrieved a small, grey cell phone. Dialing the number vigourously, he returned his hand to the hole in Alona's stomach, leaning the phone against his cheek and shoulder. Seconds passed before the ringing stopped and a woman's voice answered on the opposite end.

"This is Serene Laos speaking, may I hel--"

"Miss Laos! It's me, Ri!"

"Ritesa. Good afternoon. Is there something the matter?"

"It's Lonah! She's--"

"...No...not...not Alonah..."she whispered through the transceiver. Ritesa froze at the sound of her voice and looked back towards Alonah whose orange eyes were dimmed, cheeks speckled with blood as Ritesa pushed a strand of hair from her eyes.

"It's bad, Miss Laos. Her stomach...the hole is..."

"Pressure. Are you applying pre--"

"Yes, mam, but I don't know if it'll be enough. The hospital is too far from here. I don't think she will--"

"Enough! I will be there shortly!"

"N-NO!" Alonah sputtered, wincing soon afterwords. The phone became silent signaling that Miss Laos heard her speak. "Please don't, Mom. M-mako...will..."

"I know." Miss Laos replied quietly, though Alonah couldn't hear. Ritesa whispered something softly into the phone then hung up shortly afterwords. Laying a shaking hand on Alonah's cheek, he forced himself to smile in reassurance.

"You'll be fine."he said, not believing a word of it. Gazing off into the woods, his eyes squinted slightly in anger. Where are you, Natsuri?

[I missed you too xD]

Dodging tree branches, roots, bushes, and briars, Mako sprinted through the dense forest. He started breathing heavier through his sprint, and noticed a sharp pain growing at his side; his injuries from the day before. He grabbed at his shirt and continued running.

After a minute or two, his feet his sand. He looked up, and he had reached the coast of a lake, or some body of water at least. He took the free moment to transform. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, which he exhaled through his large nostrils. The small peaceful moment was interrupted by the shaking of trees and rumbling of the ground. In a sudden burst of orange and red, a huge flame burned a path through the forest. Behind the flame was the red dragon, obviously angered by the distraction.

"Where is the girl, Kimimako? Did you eat her?" He let out a maniacal laugh, and then suddenly stopped and glared at his opponent, who was not laughing. Mako's eyes, as usual in times like these, were an intensely dark color.

"You will die now. I don't have time for this."

A powerful push of his wings propelled him through the air at amazing speed. He collided with the red dragon, leaving him only enough time to avoid just enough of the attack. His claws penetrated deep into the dragon's skin, sending them crashing into the water.

The red dragon squirmed in the water, lunging its teeth into Mako's arm. The water was too much for the dragon's wings. In a flash of red light, the red dragon transformed into a human boy with red hair and black eyes. By the way he was groping around, it was apparent that the boy was blind, but that didn't stop him from swimming towards the surface. A large gash was at the side of his stomach, blood rushing fiercely out of it. As soon as the boy broke the surface, the red light blared again and he was once again a red dragon, now with the ability to see.

"Nice try, Natsuri, but you're too weak to compete against someone like me. I will find the girl and rip her until she is begging for her life!" With that, a large blast of fire rained from between his teeth, scorching the water beneath him. A blast of steam arose, shrouding him in fog. That was the perfect opportunity for him to speed off into the sky, licking his side to heal his wound. With one single sniff into the air, he caught the scent of Alonah's blood. With a smirk, the dragon spun in a circle, making his way towards the park.

Mako let out his breath under the water when the large teeth ripped into his arm, and almost choked. When the steam finally subsided, he emerged from the lake and gasped for air. He looked up into the sky, and all he saw was a speck in the distance, It was him, the red, nameless, fire-breathing dragon that seemed to have the upper hand when fighting Mako. He lifted himself into the air with his wings. He was determined that he would not let the dragon reach Alonah. He knew that if it happened, Ritesa would likely die as well. The last think Mako wanted was to feel responsible for the death of another innocent life.

He sped off toward the speck, and began to plan his attack. Any damage he had done was instantly repaired by the creature's tongue... And there laid the answers to all of Mako's problems.

As fast as he could, he sped to the dragon, who was apparently not expecting Mako to catch up so quickly, judging by the pace at which the red dragon was flying.

"Hey you!" Mako called, just before slamming into the other dragon. He grabbed on, sending them both into the woods below, knocking through several trees on their way down. Directly after the impact, Mako stuck his un-injured arm into the mouth of the red dragon, and with a quick and brutal tear, removed the tongue from the mouth. The red dragon screamed in agony, and then let out a distorted roar of anger.

"You said you knew why the others fail, so I'll tell you why you have failed. It is as simple as this, you did not finish me off when you had the chance. You ignored me, and assumed I was defeated. You thought it was over from the start. It's a sad way to lose, underestimating your opponent. The feeling of shame knowing it was all your own mistake. It's a pity, your wasted talents and abilities. Allow me to help you never again feel such a shame." Mako's words were cold, with a sting of hatred. It was like he was a different person now, a ruthless killer.

"No! I won't be defeated! You'll die, you and the girl!" The dragon prepared a blast of fire, and Mako prepared to avoid it, but the stream went no further than the end of the dragon's mouth. He screamed a horrible, blood curdling scream, before being forcefully transformed back into his human form. The boy had a horrible image now, missing a tongue and having a partly burned face.

"Your tongue, along with its healing ability, could control your fire breathing. It would allow the fire to pass through your mouth without also burning you... And now you will die here, brought down by your own ignorance. Goodbye."

With that, the young man faded away, crumbling into dust. With the dragon's tongue still in hand, Mako sprinted off to find Alonah and deliver the "medicine."

"Come on, Alonah! I need you to breathe! Breathe!" Another rough push was made to Alonah's open wound. slowly applying pressure to stop the blood, but by the look of things, there was only very little blood inside her left. If the wound closed, it'd be a while for the heart to continually pump blood through her body. Ritesa tried not to think about that fact as he pushed harder on her chest. Alonah's head lolled to the side, eyes dimming and opening and closing. Her mind spun with vivid pictures of her little sister Nadia, her best friend Tessa, her savior Ritesa, and even her protector Mako. I'm about to lose all of them.

"Come on come on come ON!" Ritesa hissed, looking wildly around for Mako, but he saw nothing. In a short matter of minutes, a crowd began to gather and circle around the two teens. Gasps and sobs were detected among the crowd, knowing that there was nothing they could do.

"Alonah, can you hear me? Say something. Say something!"

Alonah answered the voice with one word.

"...mako..."

Ritesa stopped in his tracks, wild blue eyes scanning her face. Despite the pain in his heart, he pushed another strand of peach hair from her eyes.

"He's coming. Just hang in there."

Hold on Alonah. You'll be alright, don't worry.

Mako pushed his way through the dense forest, bloody arm at his side. The thought occurred that he could use the tongue on his arm, but he wanted to make sure Alonah got it first, just in case it had a limit. More focused on what he was thinking than what was below him, Mako tripped over a tree root, sending him falling to the ground. Trying to avoid hitting his arm, he spun to make sure the other side of his body his the ground. He had forgotten of his wound from yesterday, but was quickly reminded as he made contact with the earth. He let out what was almost a growl, pushed himself up, and kept running.

Not too long after, Mako saw the opening in the forest. Through the opening was a large group of people crowding around where he had left Alonah and Ritesa. So much for getting her to the hospital...

He approached the group and forced his way through. "Out of the way, I'm... A doctor." After successfully making it through the crowd and to the girl, he knelt down on one knee over her. He turned and looked at Ritesa, and then back at Alonah. He took the tongue and placed it firmly against the wound in her stomach. The wound steamed as it began to seal, and the tongue was drying as well. The wound was fully healed, but there was still a mark where it had been. There was only a little moisture left in the tongue, and he applied it to his own arm, though it wasn't enough to totally erase it. When it had finally given out, the tongue crumbled into dust.

The first few people in the mob were astounded, gasping and rubbing their eyes. they couldn't believe what they had just seen, and chatter floated through the crowd about what was going on. Mako looked over to Ritesa, "The wound is healed, but she's lost a lot of blood."

Ritesa stared at Kimimako for seconds on end, trying to come up with a logical explanations to what he and the crowd had just witnessed. It looked as if Mako held a tongue against the hole in Alonah's stomach and the hole slowly started to seal, tendons reattaching and skin being sewn together. The other onlookers in the crowd also caught a glimpse at the action, making up ridiculous reasons for her healing. Alonah, meanwhile, was in a current state of shock and trauma, slowly slipping from this world to the next. Ritesa made a move to reach out to her but the way Mako held her in his arms made him reconsider.

"I know that. Your plan?"he asked. Alonah coughed once and opened her eyes slowly to see Mako looking down at her with bold green eyes. Ritesa caught Alonah's movement and quickly scooted close to her.

"Lonah. Lonah, are you okay?"he asked. Alonah just stared back at the two of them, face white. Mako...you made it. You actually made it. But did you make it in time?

In Alonah's hand, she pulled out a tiny red figurine of a dragon and watched as it crumbled into sand. A smile crept across her face as she took slow intakes of breath.

"My plan? She lives." He smiled back to her as she opened her eyes, and the red dragon crumbled away. "You'll be alright, Alonah. Don't worry. Ritesa, I assume that you called someone? She's going to need to go to the hospital, and she'll need a blood transfusion."

He looked around at the crowd, some of the people had gone away now. He leaned in closer to Ritesa. "When anybody asks, she fell through the roof of her house." He whispered, remembering that the dragon had put a hole there.

Just then, a car slammed to a stop just outside the group of people. It was Alonah's mom, arriving as if on cue.

"Ritesa. Mako. Back away, now." a woman called. She closed the door of a speeding black car, parking it expertly before exiting. The woman had light brown hair with deep brown eyes. She was tall, taller than most of your average 31 year old women, but she carried herself very well. She had on a pair of light blue scrubs, typical nurses attire, with soft soled shoes to match. The tag on the left side of her heart read Serene Laos, Registered Nurse.

"Miss Laos!" Ritesa exclaimed, backing away from Alonah, who tried not to let Mako leave her, but eventually he would have to back away from her. Alonah's mom dropped next to Alonah, examining the refreshed hole in her stomach.

"The cause?" she asked to no one in particular.

"A roof. She...fell through a roof." Ritesa replied, rubbing his blood stained hands on his blue jeans, averting his eyes from the woman. Miss Laos touched the wound tenderly, rubbing her fingers down the vase of Alonah's stomach.

"A....roof." she said, brown eyes darting to Mako. Mako didn't say anything and when Miss Laos had enough of scrutinizing his face, she handed Alonah to Mako gingerly. "Follow me. Ritesa, go home. She will meet up with you later."

"But..."

"Now." she snapped. Ritesa looked down at the girl with the peach hair once more, blue eyes burning slightly. What am I gonna do with you...

"Yes ma'am." Mako said as he took Alonah in his arms. As he walked toward the car, he looked over to Ritesa. At first meeting, he didn't like him. It hadn't taken long for his opinion of the boy to change, and that was rare for Mako. Ritesa looked back, and Mako gave him a reassuring look. He knew Ritesa was just as concerned for her as he was.

He got in the back seat of the black car as Alonah's mom got in the front, and Alonah was laying across the back, still partly in Mako's arms.

The sound of the engine revved once, and Miss Laos put the car in reverse, speeding down the parking lot.

"A roof, huh. Tell me. Does this roof happen to be behind her or in front of her, because according to my studies, the impalement had to happen by one quickly forced movement from behind her. It's clearly a stab wound. How it's healed that fast without proper medical treatment is a mystery to me, but there is one thing for sure, it's not natural." she said, not looking back towards the two of them. They sped down the intersection, going exactly 5 miles above the speed limit. It didn't phase Miss Laos, however. The vinyl across the car that red Larksdale General Hospital was enough leeway to allow her to speed as fast as she wanted to.

"If you ask me...I think you know exactly the cause of injury." she said, flicking a gaze into the rear view mirror to gaze at Mako. Alonah moved an inch, chest heaving in stuttering breaths. Her mom's voice grew loud and dim inside her head as if someone was adjusting the volume. Her focus got strayed and she looked up at Mako.

"...Mako. What happened? Where did that g-guy come from?" she asked in a small whisper.

Guy? What guy...

He couldn't figure out what Alonah was talking about, and at first he thought she was delirious... But then it finally clicked.

"Okay Miss Laos, I... you're right." Mako did his best impression of a distraught teen. "We were walking to the park to meet Ritesa, and then all of a sudden some man came up and stabbed her! He tried to get me too, but I blocked it with my arm. When Alonah was safe with Ritesa I ran after the guy to try and find him, but he just disappeared. He must have been insane... I'm sorry I didn't tell the truth Miss Laos. I- I guess I was just scared." His voice was shaky and emotional.

He looked down, staying in character. He looked to Alonah, hoping his story sounded believable enough.