Till Death Do Us Part

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I don't know." Eliza said. "I'll just go where the wind takes me, I guess."

"What, no plans for the future?" John asked, hardly able to believe that. Then again, it wasn't like he had any either, now, but he'd figure something out. Maybe settle down? He snorted inwardly. Yeah, he'd settle down. He'd settle down when a dragon tells him he should. After a moment's consideration, he realized that that wasn't much of a good condition. They were going to be setting out to find a mythical tree, after all.

"Well what are your plans?" Eliza asked, leaning back in her chair.

"Damned if I know. My notions of life were just blown, remember?" His tone was light, accompanied by a soft smile. It wasn't like John had clung to them all that tightly, but it still bothered him. He needed to sit down somewhere, sort out what all of this shit meant. Sort out what he felt. It wasn't like he had anything too pressing to attend to, other than caring for Eliza. And really, he didn't mind that too much.

Eliza sighed and looked down at her broken leg. She felt useless. She hated feeling useless. She wanted to be doing something, go somewhere. She was glaring at her leg, wishing it would heal faster.

Figuring he'd try to take her mind off of the current state of her leg, John nudged her arm and asked, "You hungry?"

"A bit, yeah." Eliza said.

John nodded, standing and requesting two plates of food from the bartender. His stomach made a pitiful noise, reminding him that he hadn't eaten for hours. Glancing at the window, he noticed that the sun was beginning to rise. Damn, it's been a long night, he mused, crossing his arms as he waited.

Eliza started to eat and yawned. "God, were we up all night?" She asked, looking out at the sunrise.

John returned with the food, setting a plate down in front of her. "You, maybe. I've been up for-" He stopped mid sentence, thinking back. "almost a whole day, now?" Something like that. "Got a little bit of sleep before I went after you, but it was only a couple of hours or so."

Eliza immediately dug into the food, having eaten the bread Flighty hadn't eaten. She wasn't the most polite eater but she didn't get food everywhere. "Must be hard being the captain of the guard."

"Well, yeah," he replied after swallowing a good bite of food. "Hard, but it's supposed to be rewarding. If I hadn't spend most of my time doing jobs for the nobles or attempting to properly train their bastard brats." He sighs softly, remembering those recruits. "Most of them went crying to their mistresses as soon as there was even a chance of injury."

"Kids these days. Always so cowardly." Eliza said, finishing up her food. "Well, should probably head upstairs..." She tried to get up, her leg off of the ground and her hands gripping the table tightly.

John stepped over to her, smiling softly. "I am here to help, you know," he said, gently putting her arm around his shoulders and helping her up.

"Thanks." Eliza said. With his help, she started to hop toward her room.

John supported her as she went up the stairs, helping her as much as he could without making her feel helpless. He almost offered to carry her, but that would probably be counter-productive.

Eliza soon opened the door and hopped away from John's support, falling onto the bed. She groaned lightly as she lifted her leg onto the bed, lying on her back.

"Need anything else?" John asked, lifting his eyebrows and standing at the foot of the bed. Collapsing onto it was just so tempting, but he forced his mind to focus on other things.

Eliza shook her head. "No, I'm good. Now, let's get some rest. We're gonna need it." She said, closing her eyes.

"Alright, ju-just let me know if you need something." John walked out, then went to his room. He collapsed upon the bed, completely exhausted, and fell asleep within minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.