Till Death Do Us Part

Status
Not open for further replies.
"That's about the gist of it, yeah." Eliza said.

Dammit. This just...It made sense, but admitting that would be contradicting his black and white view of the world. Maybe, though, maybe it was time to scrap that outlook. He didn't need proof of her words, her insistence that the world was dying. He'd seen the sickness, the death with his own eyes. He just hadn't known the root cause. The fact that she may be an illegitimate child of the king wasn't something that mattered to him.
John drained the glass in his hand, set it carefully back on the table, then fixed steel blue eyes on her. "Alright. What do we do with the gem?"

"We take it back to where it belongs." Eliza said, looking down at the fading light of the gem."We need to take it back to to the Great Symphonian Tree." The tree was only talked about in fables and rumors. Then again, so were witches.

Yep, it was official. He was a lunatic and this is all a damn dream. Because he was thinking about actually going with this woman he barely knew and had considered a friend less than an hour before to find a mythical tree and save the damn world. "Let's go, then." Aw, shit. Well, if it is a dream, he may as well enjoy it. So John's head tilted. "Or are we waiting until you're healed up?"

"I don't like relying on people when travelling so we're going to stay here. It should only take a week before I can at least walk on it." Eliza said, looking down at her broken leg.

John nods, looking at her, then smiles softly. Maybe going crazy wouldn't be as bad as he thought. Eliza was fairly good company, after all, especially compared to the people he was used to being around. "Want me to get you something?" he asked, looking at her.

She shook her head. "No, I'm fine. Just a bit sore." She nodded to her leg as she said this. It seemed to be a bit swollen.

John nods. "If you'd like, I'll take a look after I remove the armor." If he was going to be staying here for a week, there's no way he was doing so in full armor. He'd keep the sword belt, but the chain mail was just uncomfortable.

"I'd be grateful, thanks." Eliza said. The armor looked uncomfortable. She was glad she never had to wear any. It didn't help when she got into fights but at least she didn't have to walk around with a bunch of metal weighing down on her.

John got up, walked over to the innkeeper, asked if the man had another available room, then insisted upon paying for it. He may be going crazy, but he wasn't going to take advantage. With that settled, he walked upstairs and peeled off the heavy metal, laying them out carefully on his bed. After stretching thoroughly, he changed out of his padded under-armor and walked back downstairs in a plain shirt and breeches. He was barefoot, and the sword still hung from his belt. "How does it feel now?" he asked, walking over to her.

"It feels like my leg is broken and it burns." Eliza said. She had propped her leg up on a chair to help the swelling go down a bit, but it wasn't helping much. She had rolled up her pant leg so that John could inspect the area.

"Not much we can do for the swelling, unless it snows soon." John examined the wound, thinking through what might help. "Any willow trees near here? That would help with some of the pain." Willow bark, he remembered, was a natural pain killer, used for generations.

"I have a willow tree out front." The innkeeper said. The customers liked the sight of the tree in the morning.

Smiling, now, John stood. "I'll be right back." He went outside, removed the sword from its sheath and cut off a large piece of the willow bark, then went back inside. "The green stuff tastes like shite, but it'll help with the pain." Then he turned toward the innkeeper. "Sorry for fucking up your tree..."

"It's fine. The thing was annoying me anyway. Always brought those damn birds." The innkeeper said.

"Well birds are annoying to some." Eliza said, taking a bit of the green stuff and eating it. She nearly gagged but managed to swallow it.

John chuckled softly at her expression, sitting down at the table, just closer to her this time. "Should start feeling it in a little bit."

"I don't even know why I fucking slipped! It's not like it's that easy to slip while jumping from branch to branch possibly a hundred feet above the ground." Eliza said, almost glaring at her leg.

(( Whoa! Sorry, completely missed the notification owo ))
"Accidents happen," he managed to say without sounding too impressed. John could barely climb twenty feet, if lady luck was on his side that day. Strength, he had. Speed, he had. He just didn't have the agility for climbing trees. Agility at all, really.

((It's fine. It happens. ^_^))

"You're wondering how I even got onto the tree, aren't you?" Eliza asked, taking a cup of water from the innkeeper with a nod.

He was quiet for a long moment, then he chose to answer honestly. "Pretty much, yeah." John nodded, then looked at her. "How the hell did you get that high without falling?"

Status
Not open for further replies.