Till Death Do Us Part

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I climbed up the tree. It's not too hard, honestly. I don't get why people get all excited about it." Eliza said, sipping from her cup. Flighty flew in through a window and landed on Eliza's shoulder. She smiled and stroked the bird's head.

"Well, how do you balance on the branches? Move around? Do you climb the trunk, or just move from branch to branch?" John just spouted off a few of the questions he usually asked himself when watching others climb trees. They were rhetorical, he was just giving a few examples of why people got exited over it.

"Balance and moving all come from practice and it depends if there is a branch low enough to climb up on." Eliza said, shrugging her shoulders.

John chuckled softly. "You have a talent for it, then. It's automatic, right?" He lifted his eyebrows, looking at her. "You don't have to think too much about what you're doing when you climb, right?"

"Mmhmm. A lot of people call me a monkey because I can climb so well." Eliza said. "That's how I got away most of the time when stealing. No one expects a thief to be in the trees."

John chuckled softly. "I didn't really steal when I was a kid. Tried not to, anyways. I had the speed, but losing the guards was a pain."

"When you can climb, losing the guards is a sinch since most of them can't climb." Eliza said, laughing. Flighty tweeted at her, hungry so she asked the innkeeper for a slice of bread.

"Well, most guards I've known wear heavy armor, so." Climbing normally was a chore, but climbing with fifty pounds of metal on your back is damn near impossible. John knew from experience. A criminal, an assassin, if he remembered right, darted up a tree and laughed as John tried to follow. So, John camped at the base of the tree and waited him out.

"And that is why thieves can get away if they know how to climb a tree and move from tree to tree." Eliza said, thanking the innkeeper for the bread and letting Flighty peck at it. "It's a very complicated process."

John chuckled, nodding. "Clearly." His eyes were immediately drawn to the bird, and his head tilted. "That's Flighty, then?" he asked, looking at Eliza.

"Mmhmm. He's a sparrow that I helped one day and he likes to follow me around." Eliza said.

"Don't try anything funny with her, bub, or I'll peck your eyes out!" Flighty chirped, staring at John.

Eliza laughed, stroking the bird's head.

"Did I offend him?" John asked, noticing that the bird was staring at him and chirping in what seemed to be an angry way. Of course, John really had no idea what an angry bird might sound like.

"No, you did nothing of the sort. Flighty's just being overprotective is all." Eliza said, smiling.

"Ah." Overprotective? The bird was being overprotective? Now John was curious as to what the little creature had said. He didn't ask, though. No, certainly not. "What did he say, then?" he asked, cursing himself mentally.

"He said, "Don't try anything funny with her, bub, or I'll peck your eyes out!" Eliza said, trying to imitate his voice. She was laughing at the end.

John couldn't help but laugh with her. The sight of the bird pecking his eyes out was an interesting and amusing one, to say the least. "Sounds like he cares about you a lot," he said once he could speak properly. It was his way of asking her how she'd come to adopt the sparrow as a traveling companion.

"Well when you help a sparrow fix his broken wing, you tend to bond." Eliza said, smiling as the bird flew around.

"And you can understand him, so," John paused, searching for the right wording. "You've become friends, almost?" He could understand the attachment, although he'd never experienced it. Never ran into such bad luck that he became reliant on others.

"More like brother and sister. I just tend to get animals more than humans." Eliza said, watching Flighty with a smile.

Thinking for a moment, John decided to ask her something personal. "So, what are you going to do once this is all over?" He paused, then added, "The shit with the gem, I mean."

Status
Not open for further replies.