The True Ending

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
R

Rin-Vy

Things haven't always been ideal for Trista, but things are certainly starting to look up. She's managed to keep her job for the past month. She isn't living on the streets. And she recently managed to snag herself a new boyfriend, Eric - and what a prize he is. He's handsome and kind. The way his eyes twinkled like the stars made her swoon. Not to mention, he loved long walks on the beach - how cute is that? Not to mention he was filthy stinky rich.

And to Trista's disbelief, he recently broke up with his wife to be with her! She's seen pictures of her once or twice and she's heard of Eric's rants about her. But still, she never thought he would actually leave her. Trista's hard work is finally starting to pay off. She could just imagine her fairy tale ending with Eric and how wonderful her life would be from now on.

So then why is she cleaning up her living room like a maid? Trista growled to herself as she pushed around her vacuum cleaner. Her stupid landlord insisted that a roommate was necessary to help pay for rent, all because she missed a few payments. Stupid.

Trista shoved the vacuum cleaner back in the closet and glanced around her apartment. Flawless, perfect. She was just about to head into the kitchen to fix herself up something for lunch when she heard a knock on the door. She sighed in resignation, but went over to the door. She smiled to herself, putting on her happy-to-meet-you-stranger mask and quickly open the door. "Hello-"

Her bright voice quickly fell as she stared in disbelief at the lady standing before her.

Reactions: F0XTR0T
Byrn had seen this coming. When her "devout" husband finally made the move to leave her for a new muse after she no longer appeared to be something special, worth his time. She had, unfortunately, been rather naive when they began to date almost a year ago, thinking that what they shared was real. What an utter idiotic fool she had been for believing such nonsense, he only cared about what, not who she was…

This was most likely why many of her relatives had told her to stay away from human men.

To be honest, Bryn didn't find him all that attractive, nor did she care for his personality, but someone actually taking (what she thought was) positive interest in her? That was what she wanted. To be cared for and loved deeper than what a familial bond can provide. The woman had thought this was it, but when he began to not only sleep around once more but get into "serious" relationships and so on… he finally decided she wasn't worth having around anymore and casually handed the divorce papers over as if this had been the plan all along.

It had been… oh, possibly a week or two since then. Bryn managed to find herself a small apartment that she could barely afford with the money he had left her. Still struggling to find some type of employment, she wasn't sure how long she was going to be able to make it last, but being careful and living off of the bare minimum… it might just be enough.

Today, however, she had a different plan in mind. Instead of job hunting or family visiting off the nearby beach, she decided to get a look Eric's newest catch. From what he had gloated and shoved in her face, it was a woman of the name Trista, but aside from her name, that was the extent of the information she had gotten from him.

It didn't take her long to track down her address, curious at who they were, what they did, and so on. And so that is why she walked right up to her front door that morning and gave a stiff knock, waiting for her to answer. As the shrill sound of a vacuum cut off as well as footsteps were heard, she didn't bother setting any emotion upon her face as the door was opened.

Standing face to face, Bryn couldn't help but have a bit of pity in her eyes. The woman was rather pretty, although a bit short. No wonder the man had went after her next. "So you're the one." She began rather bluntly, extending a hand as she continued. "Trista, was it? Bryn, although I'm more than certain you've heard about me."

• Love
Reactions: Rin-Vy
Trista didn't know what to do. There she was, Eric's ex-wife, standing right in front of her. She was even prettier than she was in Eric's photo. There was just something so ethereal about her. But, why was she here? She couldn't possibly be the new roommate right? Oh jeez. Trista prayed hard to whatever being controls destiny.

She took Bryn's hand hesitantly when Trista finally got her wits back. A part of her wants to play innocent, but with the way that the woman stared at her with her violet eyes, she knew it was pointless. "I'm Trista." She said rather flatly and awkwardly. "Why are you here? Eric's not here." And she was sure that her boyfriend did not send her any text warning her of any upcoming surprise visits from his ex-wife.

Common courtesy told Trista to step out of the way, so she did so with instant regret. Why was she letting the stranger (enemy?) in? Still, she tried to play it cool, like she did it on purpose. "But since you're already here, you might as well have some lemonade before leaving."

Lowering her hand after it was hesitantly taken, Bryn nodded as she spoke. This was... going to be rather awkward. I know he isn't, and I think it is best that he isn't here for obvious reasons. Regardless, this is the address of the roommate ad I saw a few days ago, so I assume you're the one who posted it?"

Giving a small nod of thanks as Trista stepped out of the way, she would allow the door to be closed behind her before following her deeper into the apartment and into the kitchen. The place was spotless, most likely freshly cleaned as the scent of lemon-tainted disinfectant lingered faintly about. It was surpringly plesant, relaxing the on-edge woman slightly.

"I'm sorry for simply showing up out of the blue... I should've called first."

Trista turned her back Bryne as she got them both a glass of lemonade. She was mentally crying about her misfortune. Out of the entire city, why does this one woman have to be the one to answer her ad? "Yes, I was." She responded, turning back to Bryne to hand her the glass. Trista knew she had two options: 1) completely act like a total douche or 2) try to be civil.

She chose to at least attempt to be civil. Bryne hasn't attacked her yet afterall.

"It's not a big place, but it should be enough for the both of us." Trista walked into her living room, pointing out the different rooms. Maybe if she pretended Bryne was a complete stranger, it wouldn't be so awful. "This would be your bedroom and across is mine. We share the bathroom."

"But if you do stay here, I do expect cleanliness in the rooms we share." Trista took a sip of her lemonade and crossed her other arm. The other woman stood taller than her, but still, Trista can try to hold a presence of intimidation. And who knows, maybe Bryne would change her mind and try to find another place if she was scared enough.

Bryn was thankful things were going relatively smooth, although she couldn't shake the feeling that there might be complications up ahead. Accepting her glass of lemonade, she would follow Trista around as she showed her the different rooms, everything looking reasonable until she mentioned sharing a bathroom. This… was going to be interesting. Hopefully her new roommate didn't stay up too late or rise too early to give her some time alone or things were going to get that much more awkward.

"Cleanliness shouldn't be a problem, I assure you." Bryn reassured her, gingerly setting her glass down on a coffee table. It was beginning to sweat as the ice melted, and she didn't need any accidents to happen even before she was officially moved in. "If this arrangement is going to alright with you… I'll need to collect my things from Eric's place and should have the first payment to you by-" The woman was cut off as the front door opened, no knock sounding. "Hey ba-" Eric's voice was cut off as he entered the living room, clearly surprised to see his ex-wife standing beside his new girlfriend. "Here to see my new love?" He asked smugly, a dickish smile upon his lips as he threw an arm around Trista, landing a kiss on her cheek.

Struggling to keep her voice level, she responded curtly. "No, I have personal matters to take care of instead." It took quite a bit of willpower to not make any sort of remark against him due to the information he held over her. It was the main reason their divorce went so smoothly, she couldn't risk anything getting out.

• Love
The door open without warning, but Trista knew what it meant. Without turning around, she could feel his strong presence approach her. She knew his brown eyes would be looking at her and the slight tickle his hair would feel when he reaches down to kiss her. She smiled happily and settled comfortably against his arms. For a moment, she forgot the other person was in the room. But then she remembered where she was, and again, she cursed her rotten luck- it never stops.

She cleared her throat, the air clearly uncomfortable around them. "Babe, I told you I was planning on getting a roommate today." Did she knew it would be his ex-wife? Of course not. So how could he? But still, she didn't think he would be curious enough to come see. "I guess, I'll be staying with Bryn from now on...?"

"So, um... Would you be able to bring her stuff here?" Trista wrinkled her nose slightly, feeling awkward. The entire situation was so strange and foreign. Everyone was uncomfortable. Still, she turned to Bryn and spoke once more, "And you can sign the papers on the counter and you're free to move in whenever you can."

Then it dawned onto her. If the air would be this horrid every time the three of them are together, how on Earth is Eric ever going to come over? The temptation to refuse Bryn was tremendous... But the stupid landlord had threatened to kick Trista out... To lose alone time with Eric or to be homeless. Hm.

Well, at least she could always meet up with Eric at his own place. His place was nicer anyways.

"Is she now?" He asked, his smile not fading but almost appearing to grow. "Then she justs gets a front row seat, mmmm…" Eric once again went in for a kiss, this time, however, pressing his mouth up against Trista's before pulling away. Bryn clearly struggling to keep composed. "Yeah I can bring her stuff over, just give me a little bit of time to spend with my one-and-only…"

Unable to take being in the same room as him any longer, she would've quickly moved into the kitchen, finding the contract sitting on the counter like the her would-be roommate. Picking up the pen with a slightly shaking hand, she quickly placed her signature on the line, before setting the pen down abruptly and leaning on the counter, gritting her teeth.

It didn't seem like it was going to be a challenge, but if this kept up… she wasn't sure how long she was going to be able to last.

Eric soon left, saying he would return with her belongings soon, the door shutting behind him. Only after he left, she finally emerged from the kitchen, appearing ruffled but otherwise fine. "The papers have been signed…" She said hesitantly, swallowing and blinking a few times before meeting the woman's eyes. "Are you sure you're alright with this? You don't have too…" Bryn finally said softly, lowering the tough, professional front she had put up to try and get Eric's new girlfriend to be honest and upfront with her.

Although his rough kiss was familiar, Trista was surprised he would be so bold in front of his ex-wife. He had expressed his dislike for Bryn in the past, but she didn't think he would go that far. In the corner of her eyes, Trista noticed that Bryn disappeared in the kitchen, so without much reserve, she wrapped her arms around Eric to enjoy the kiss.

Then she quickly pulled away and hissed slightly, "That was a bit mean, babe..." But she couldn't help but smile as his eyes twinkled with mischief. "Don't be a dick!" She pushed him away slightly, giggling softly, then waved as he left with the intent to return.

Bryn then returned to the living room when the door closed and Trista shifted her attention. Instantly, she felt bad, as the woman looked like she was on the verge of tears. Still, they were enemies, she couldn't possibly console the poor girl. Trista kept her arms folded across her chest and her feelings guarded. "Look, you need a place to stay and I need someone to help pay rent. We're just going to have to deal." She responded as cooly as possible. "Besides, you already signed the papers. It's already set in stone."

"When do you plan on moving in? Eric will be by later tonight to deposit your stuff." A part of her hoped that Bryn would stay away for at least another few weeks, but she knew the chances were slim. Eric had said that Bryn did not get very much out of the divorce. She could only imagine how tight on money she must have been.

• Love
As she asked, Bryn was quick to respond. "Later tonight… I have a few things I need to take care of before then." WIth that she would quickly move through the living room and out the door, already feeling overwhelmingly uncomfortable in the situation. She had thought it was going to be simple, but with Eric having shown up… it make that much more difficult.

Later that night, the woman finally had decided it was time to return, knowing that it was most likely late enough that Trista to either be in bed or heading there. Lingering in her car for a moment, she finally gathered the courage to exit the vehicle and move towards the door, before something dawned on her.

The door was locked, she didn't have a key, and Eric's car was outfront.

WIth reluctance, she slowly raised her hand to knock softly on the door. If she was already asleep, there were alternative places where she could spend the night.

Before Trista could say another word, Bryn was out the door. Trista instantly relaxed all of her tensed muscles. She didn't even wanted a roommate to begin with, and then it had to turn out to be Bryn of all people... Then Eric came and made things even more complicated... And who knows how strangely awkward it would get in the future from here on out. Trista groaned as she recalled the events.

At least she knew she had a few hours to kill before either Eric or Bryn could come and complicate her life further. While she attempted to toss out all of the day's events from her mind, she lit up some subtly sweet smelling candles, got comfortable on her favorite couch and turned on Netflix to get caught up on her current addiction- Jane, the Virgin.

After watching a few episodes and clutching onto her pillow as the suspense got worse, she heard the door swing open. Instantly, Trista looked back and smiled sweetly. "Hey!" She called out to Eric, getting up to help him move the items that he promised to bring. Then her day with Eric proceeded to be amazing. It started off with a few make out sessions, then ended up with them both on the couch, curled up underneath a blanket, with a cup of hot chocolate in their hands. A part of Trista knew that Eric was bored with the romantic comedy show, but she didn't his lack of focus stop her from explaining the show to him anyways. "And so now she's pregnant with that other guy's kid even though she's still a virgi-"

Knock. Knock.

Trista instantly looked out the window and realized how dark it had gotten. She instantly knew it was Bryn at the door - she had completely forgotten to give her a key! Reluctantly, she got up from the couch and gave a slight warning glare to Eric. "Remember, be civil." She then grabbed the key off the table and went to open the door.

"Hi, it's late. Well, anyways, sorry, I forgot to give you the key." Trista frowned and handed them to Bryn before walking back inside. "All of your stuff is already in your room." Trista could already feeling her muscles tense up once more as the three of them gather together in the same room.

She really needs to get a massage soon.

Bryn's heart sank as Trista answered the door, forcing an emotionless look on her face as she once again stepped inside, accepting the keys without a word. She had hoped she was going be able to able to go directly to her room, but Eric adored making things unnecessarily complicated. "Go out for a swim? he mocked from his place on the couch as she past the woman pausing to shoot him a glare of her own. "That isn't any of your concern." She muttered, eyes flicking from her ex to his lover before turning once more and offering a stunted "thank you" before entering her room and gently yet hastily closing the door.

Releasing a sigh, she gave her head a brief shake before examining the room she had. It was small, much different than what she had had when living alongside Eric. But it was enough, she not needing the volume of space be had.

Moving to inspect the boxes that had been piled up around the bedroom, Bryn saw that most of her personal items and clothing had been brought, but of course none of their wedding gifts or anything else of actual value. It wasn't as if he needed the money, but was rather trying to make a statement. It only reminded her of what he had said when she commented on the electronics they had received, the man having rolled his eyes and told her that a fish didn't need to use any of it. The woman's knuckles bleached as she clenched her fists, it becoming ever more apparent he treated her as a possession, an object, than a lover or spouse.

And with them in the room over...

Bryn moved over towards the bed and was quick to lie down. The faster she fell asleep, the faster the man would leave and she could actually try to move on with her life the inch he was giving her at a time.

Trista glanced at Eric curiously when he made his comment. A swim? "It's cold outside, why would anyone-" The abrupt slam of the door interrupted her train of thought and Trista realized that Bryn had quickly escaped to her room. She sighed, whatever implications Eric meant, she could tell that he was just riling up the other girl. "You really need to tone it down." She lectured, but all he did was smile smugly back at her, the twinkle in his eyes never leaving. Trista sighed. Sometimes dealing with Eric could be like dealing with a troublesome 4 year old. Despite her annoyance, she leaned over to give him a peck on the cheek. "It's getting late, you should go home."

Eric looked like he was going to argue back. He probably wanted to stay over to irritate her new roommate even further. Trista instantly responded, "No" before he could even ask. "Go home. I can deal with Bryn myself."

As soon as her childish boyfriend was gone, Trista went to retire in her own room herself. As soon as her body hit the silk sheets on her soft bed and her head collapsed onto the fluffy pillow, she instantly breathed out a sigh of relief. I made through one more day of being alive, and despite all of the mishaps, it wasn't anything more than I handled in the past. It'll be fine. She chanted in her head as she closed her eyes, but despite the repetition, there was a part of Trista that knew that she was going to have to deal with a lot more trouble in the near future.

Trista has always been an early morning riser. As soon as the sun was up, so was she, despite her best efforts not to. After about 15 minutes of being annoyed that she could not go back to sleep, Trista got up to make breakfast. The smell of bacon and eggs filled the air, and Trista wondered what Bryn would want for breakfast.

"She probably has her own meals or something..." She muttered under her breath.

Last edited:
Byrn had slept through the night rather soundly, although not as apt to wake as early as Trista was. However, the faint sounds of moving about combined with the scents of food wafting from the kitchen was enough to ever so slowly convince her otherwise. What stopped her even then, however, was the idea that either Eric had spent the night, or that she was going to be met with a bit more hostility than yesterday. Even though the latter was unlikely, the woman still had a sinking feeling that it was wholly possible.

Finally coaxing herself out of bed, Bryn ever so slowly changed her clothes from yesterday (as she had fallen asleep in them) before moving out of her room, but briefly detouring into the bathroom for a moment before emerging into the rest of the apartment. First, she looked into the mirror and frowned deeply at what she saw. The bags under her eyes were rather prominent along with how matted and generally a mess her hair was. With a sigh, Byrn quickly began to try and use her fingers to comb through it, managing to get it looking somewhat decent and definitely better than before.

Next, she let her eyes drift over towards the rest of the small area. Aside from the obvious toilet, she was somewhat pleased to see that there was a bathtub with the shower head attached. While it wasn't idea, it was going to make life much easier.

Entering the living room and then the kitchen, finally, she momentarily watched Trista at work cooking herself breakfast before tugging her phone out of her pocket as it buzzed. Checking the sender of the text, her face blanched, not all that happy about this.

Eric: How was ur first night with Bryn xD
Byrn: Wrong number
Eric: wait, really? xD who knew.
Bryn: Why do you still have it.
Eric: how else will i make everyone believe you left me?
Attachment Received.

Slowly opening the image he sent, she immediately locked the screen and shoved it back into her pocket, what could be an annoyed rage filling her eyes. He had the money, he had the proof… why the hell was he so bent on toying with her like this? And was he going to do the same to Trista...

• Love
Trista hummed to herself as she platted her eggs and bacon, then she looked up at noticed Bryn standing in the living room. The taller woman had shoved her phone back into her pocket in anger and Trista could only imagine why. Bad news? Annoying caller? Not that she was in any position to pry.

So, instead, she turned to pour herself a glass of almond milk, then sat at the table to eat. She could feel the awkward tensed atmosphere slam down on her as Bryn got closer. Trista could just stand up and eat in her own room to avoid Bryn, but then her room would smell weirdly like food all day. Unsure what to do, Trista just ate quietly.

Then her phone quacked loudly. Yes, quacked, like a duck. Sometimes she hated her friends.

Miles: Hey Tia! :duck:
Trista: You're ridiculous. Now help me. My boyfriend's ex-wife is now my roommate and she's trying to get breakfast while I'm eating. It's so awkward!
Miles: What? Talk to her. Offer her breakfast. BE A NICE PERSON, YOU BUTT-FACE MISTRESS.
Trista: I hate you.
Miles: :candyheart: C U @ work.

Despite her annoyance, she couldn't help but smile a bit at her friend's silly antics. Then she looked up and cleared her throat. "Do you have anything for breakfast? I have some cereal in the pantry." She waved over to the cabinet above the sink. "But I only have almond milk."

The tension in the air was thick, it mingling with the discomfort and awkwardness of the situation. While Trista ate, Byrn wasn't all too sure how to approach her when there was a sudden quacking noise sounding from the other woman's own cell phone.

Well... that was one way to try and lighten the mood.

Moments later she was asked if she had anything for breakfast and that she had some cereal in the pantry, but Bryn didn't even want to think about food at the moment. "No thank you..." She'd mutter, clearing her throat before speaking a bit louder. Still distracted by what she had been texted and that it wouldn't be difficult for him to get it his new lover, or someone worse. "I need to get going anyway... Finding some form of employment isn't easy, which means my payment might be late for this month, as I'm sure Eric told you he happily took what I had in the divorce." Her tone was spiteful, brimming with hate but also underlying notes of uncertainty.

Well, that failed fantastically. Thanks Miles. Trista couldn't help but frown as Bryn bitterly mentioned the recent divorce. Trista understood where Bryn was coming from, of course, but that didn't make it easier. "Suit yourself," was all she said before finishing up her meal in silence. After finishing her meal, she went back to her room and changed.

Trista slip on a white shirt and a black skirt. Then on top, she adorn her favorite oceanic blue jacket, that read the following above the shirt pocket:
TRISTA MEYER, MS
Marine Life Research​
She then took a look in the mirror, made sure her hair and her makeup was done to perfection, before walking out into the living room. She glanced at the clock and smiled as she knew she had plenty of time to get to work. Once more, she glanced at Bryn, but felt too uncomfortable to attempt another small talk. Instead, she walked straight to the door and slipped on her favorite tall black high heels and left the house to work.

Trista loved her job. She loved the fish that glided effortlessly in the water, the octopus that expertly escaped impossible situations like a magician, even the starfish that lazed at the bottom of the sea. The only problem with her job is that the pay was crap. It was hard to discover anything worthwhile in a society that prioritized weapons, medicine and electronics. But luckily, Trista knew, they were just on the verge of researching something amazing that would blow the minds of the public: mermaids.

The current research was everything to her. Trista might as well be pouring out her sweat and blood into it and she loved it. Plus - bonus - it was the research that drew Eric in the first place. They had met in a bar, and once she introduced herself and her job, Eric seemed to be interested. He asked her all sort of questions about her mermaid research and laughed his adorable laugh the entire time. It was line, hook and sinker - pun intended - and the rest was history.

She hadn't paid much attention to Trista after she outright blew off her response, although it did make some sense. Byrn was, after all, bashing her current boyfriend. Moving back into the living room temporarily, she had been about to leave when the other woman finished getting ready for work, the label on her shirt making her skin crawl. What did Eric have against her to go so far as to date a marine biologist? It was unnerving, yet also a tad bit ironic for them to be living under the same roof. Hopefully, however, she would get back on her feet soon enough for things to change… and if not, well, there always was one unpleasant last resort.

Bryn's day had went as she expected. Most local places that were her first choice weren't hiring or weren't looking for the position she was interested in, so she was stuck with the bottom of her list which she would try tomorrow… restaurants. Reluctantly and in a defeated mood, she would've returned to the apartment building, pushing through the door and heading to the elevator, pressing the button gently. Once it arrived, she stepped inside about to press her floor when she paused, instead holding an arm out to keep the car from closing as Trista entered the building as well.

It was going to be awkward, but the first step at getting past this was being polite… as they were going to be living together for the time being.

The day was as unsuccessful as all the other days before. There was something about a cave filled with human knick-knacks and possible theories that it could be a mermaid's curious collection. There were pictures that showed forks and spoons placed meticulously and even pots and pans sat neatly on the shelves! However, others think that it was probably just the way the ocean current carried lost objects - and honestly, Trista was starting to think that was the more plausible answer. It was disheartening.

And then the traffic home was a nightmare. Crowds of people flocked every nook and cranny of the city. No one could take even a step without accidentally elbowing someone in the guts.

Finally, she made it back to her apartment. But even there, the front of the apartment was crowded with unknown reasons. At first, she saw the elevator ding and open up to allow passengers in. She tried to fight through the crowd leaving, but she knew the fight was going to end in defeat. Until she saw someone nimbly maneuver through the people and into the elevator. Violet eyes looked straight into Trista, then Bryn actually held the elevator door.

Without questioning it, Trista dashed forward once more then somehow made it to the elevator. She panted slightly as the elevator door closed behind her and she muttered out, "Thanks..."

The ride up was unbelievably silent and awkward. Despite both of their rather thin and small figures, Trista was forced to stand right against her due to the crowd. And it was impossible to step away any further - even when some people got off, they were quickly replaced by others. Her skin brushed against Bryn's the entire ride; Trista couldn't help but notice how unbelievable soft and smooth her skin was. How could anyone have skin like that? Trista felt a tinge of amazement and jealousy, but then quickly tried to brush the emotions aside.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the elevator door opened to their floor. Trista quickly sped forward and away from Bryn's silky smooth skin and head towards their door. She could hear Bryn's footsteps behind her, following. Trista mentally groaned at the heavy silence that surrounded them as she stumbled to open the door with the key. Finally, she opened it and stepped in. "Home sweet home." She muttered, then turned to Bryn once more. "Thanks again. For... you know, holding the door. You didn't have to."

While the ride was awkward, Byrn couldn't help but study Trista a bit closer, seeing as they were forced up against one another. She was rather pretty, and the scent of the shampoo she most likely used that morning was pleasant. Yet upon thinking this, she immediately averted her eyes and clenched her jaw. This was her ex-husband's lover, not a schoolgirl crush.

Once they could finally get off at their floor, she followed slowly behind the hastey woman, lingering a bit away as she unlocked the door while speaking in her direction. "It was nothing…" She responded, keeping her tone distant before following her inside. Instead of moving to speak to Trista, she headed into the direction of the bathroom. She… needed a bit to herself.

Entering the bathroom and closing the door, Byrn was quick to start the water on the bathtub, making sure it was warm before stopping the drain. As it filled, she moved to the door once more, and turned the lock before testing it… broken? The woman gave a worried frown. She'd have to be quick. Once there was enough water, she twisted the handle and removed her clothing, slowly descending into the water.

It only took a moment, Byrn hissing through clenched teeth as her legs melded together, her tail extending far past the cramped tub and hanging over the edge. Regardless, it was still relaxing in a way to regain her true form, even if it were only for a short amount of time.