The Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave up on the war, eh, Azathoth?

Gave up on the war, eh, Azathoth?
I thought I'd be making a new character after I jumped on that creature's head, she still has a twenty foot drop to deal with unless she has time to flip back the other way and descend to the floor. I figure three fortitude will mean Galina can train with some other characters without dying.

It's strange, but something's making me want to change my point to... speed.

And in the meantime, I have to stare down Asuras and contemplate exactly how Jun's death is about to happen in a 2v3 match next IC.

If he willingly spreads his legs, maybe Mimo will just let him go after sodomizing him with her gun barrel.

If he willingly spreads his legs, maybe Mimo will just let him go after sodomizing him with her gun barrel.
Hey. Jun has to give as much as he receives. She'll have to take a nice machete up the puss.

Next IC will come tomorrow, in which everyone will be very fucked pleasantly surprised!

It's strange, but something's making me want to change my point to... speed.
Aza pls, for the sake of Galina, don't do this. One attack VS. a stat that isn't speed, and Galina has a pretty high chance of oneshotted (unless Challenge Fate saves her.)

Gotta respect though; playing a character with 1 frickin' health point is literally living on the edge

Hey. Jun has to give as much as he receives. She'll have to take a nice machete up the puss.
Hands off my OOC waifu >:c
Next IC will come tomorrow, in which everyone will be very fucked pleasantly surprised!
inb4 Tycen's helmet comes off

Oh, also:

ADVICE TO NEWBIES CONSIDERING MAKING CHARACTER SHEETS!

If you're thinking of joining, whether you're skulking the OOC or have announced you'll be making a CS soon, try and keep these things in mind if you want to get accepted! Because I enjoy other cool characters getting mixed into the story too.

1) Everyone is an orphan, all adults have been purged from this world. Forgetting this can really make your backstory awkward; it's a crucial part of this RP's backstory! REMEMBER IIIT!

2) Abilities need to be clear what they can do. If you're making an ability that buffs stats, try and include which stats exactly they buff, rather than saying something like 'this ability makes [x] better in combat.' Also, try to avoid useless abilities. Such as 'Great Cook.' Your character can be a great cook without needing to take up a precious ability slot. Just remember to state every effect of the ability, how it affects stats if it's a buff, and if you're making a really powerful ability, try to give it drawbacks or a cooldown.

3) On the subject of abilities, you have 3 slots. Make them good, we want formidable opponents. Don't be afraid to make a powerful kit; we've already got some really powerful kits in this RP already. As long as you've explained perfectly what an ability can do, the very worst that's going to happen is that Asuras will nerf the ability. REMEMBER CONSTANT PARALYSIS AND MASSIVE AOE CAN'T BE A THING. Also, try and make abilities have unique effects we haven't seen before for swag points.

4) If you're joining a PvP dice RP, understand a statbuild is important and should be well thought-out. I'm not encouraging you to be a power-gaming twat who observes every piece of the mechanics and creates the best possible character just for the sake of power gaming, but still, if you have a terrible statbuild, you're going to suffer and not be that badass you wanted to be. Here's how I think each stat works in mechnical terms:

Might - If you hit an attack, this will be rolled against enemy Fortitude, and will generally control the damage of melee attacks.

Finesse - Very important stat, especially if your character is melee-based. In order to hit a melee attack, you need to roll this against an enemy's speed. If you have like, 1 Finesse, don't expect to hit anything at all. Also, if you have a sneaky deaky character in mind, Finesse is the thing you'll want.

Speed - Allows dodging. Dodging is good, and if you have a high speed VS. a low finesse opponent, chances are you won't be taking much damage in the fight.

Fortitude - If you fail to dodge, this is your second line of defence. If you have high fort, and your opponent has low might, chances are you'll take no damage.

Health - Speaks for itself. Having 1 point in Health means you will literally have 1HP - so your character will be killed (unless you have some 'rise-again' ability) in one hit if they fail to dodge/block an attack. Try and have more than 1 HP I guess.

Perception - Debatably the least useful stat, but it's very important in some occasions. It can let you spot weaknesses, or details that'll generally tip a situation in your favor. Also, you're going to have a horrible time against a sneaky opponent if you have 1 Perception. ( my char has 1 Perception, luckily I haven't been against sneakies yet :D )

Also, here's an example of some terrible statbuilds to help you see what you should avoid:
MELEE BESERKER
Might - 10
Finesse - 1
Speed - 2
Fortitude - 3
Health - 3
Perception - 1

The fatal flaw in this statbuild is the Finesse. Your character has excellent damage, but remember, to deal said damage, you need to hit them first. With 1 Finesse, fights will just be frustrating because you can't unleash your glorious 10 Might upon opponents. If you've ever played Morrowind, it'll be like that combat system all over again.

Remember! Melee character = get finesse. My character had 3 Finesse at one point, and still missed 65% of his attacks XD

SNEAKY RANGED CHARACTER
Might - 3
Finesse - 9
Speed - 2
Fortitude - 1
Health - 1
Perception - 4

Okay, so you're a sneaky character, meaning that you're usually not going to be in the heat of combat. However, as soon as your character gets spotted, it's going to be over for them: they have no speed to dodge against someone with decent finesse, and they'll literally die in one hit. Having 1 Fortitude and 1 Health is a dangerous plan. Especially if you're not rushing that speed to dodge attacks xD

Cba to write more to be honest, but if you're thinking about a CS and want your character to be above shit-tier, keep that stuff in mind. Our based and much-loved critic ERode will probably do the honours of pointing out problems in your CS anyway XD.[/hr]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Reactions: IceChateau777
@Jakers, the edge of glory.

Also, why isn't Galina in the bad build examples?
Cuz she's got speed and a life-saving ability in her kit. :3

She's clearly a risky character, but not terrible. If only you had some true DMG, then she'd actually be a really formidable opponent~

2) Abilities need to be clear what they can do. If you're making an ability that buffs stats, try and include which stats exactly they buff, rather than saying something like 'this ability makes [x] better in combat.'

Incorrect. Asuras determines what the abilities do. You just type down the fluff. It's in the OOC, if I remember correctly. Of course, you COULD be that person who writes down their own ability mechanics, but, well...Asuras can veto it if he wants.

Also, in regards to example 2 with 9 Finesse, you can stealth around VERY well. Meaning that, with range, you really can just crawl around and shoot people.

And a point that Jakers has neglected. While stats ARE important, and while balance will probably help you...your abilities can also allow you to get away with some degree of super awkwardness. For example, if you're the sneaky ranged character who's literally made of glass, you can add an invisibility ability or a revive ability to increase your survivability, as well as a true damage ability to make up for your lack of Might.

Hell, one of the most OP characters in the RP had 10 Perception, and had his ability, Telekinesis, scale off that Perception. As a result, it was impossible to get sneak attacks off him, and he had 10 might + 10 Finesse whenever using said ability AND he could use that Might to suppress anyone at a range, reducing their speed to 0 and thus making his hypothetical 10 Might BASAKA friend capable of hitting that person at their leisure.

Hell, one of the most OP characters in the RP had 10 Perception, and had his ability, Telekinesis, scale off that Perception. As a result, it was impossible to get sneak attacks off him, and he had 10 might + 10 Finesse whenever using said ability AND he could use that Might to suppress anyone at a range, reducing their speed to 0 and thus making his hypothetical 10 Might BASAKA friend capable of hitting that person at their leisure.
RIP Gerald, you were the best Pink Ward with a Malzahar ult that ever lived ;_;

Also, I wasn't saying you need to describe exactly what an ability can do. It's just advice to state what things your ability can do in general if it succeeds, otherwise it confuses the GM. (Sorry ViceAndVersa, but I'm using the 40 cards thing as an example.) And it might be a good idea to say which stats you want buffed in a power-up esque ability, otherwise Asuras will choose the stats for you.

As for the second point, a build like that is very viable at the moment all things considered, but there's probably another Gerald-like NPC out there to ruin your day and get you 1-shotted.

Also yeah, you're completely right about that other point I neglected - making a balanced statbuild isn't essential if you're gonna have abilities that make up for your char's weaknesses.

But yeah, hope all of this stuff helps; happy CS-making, new peoples! Don't let the Aesil/Este bite~

Gerald so OP that Asuras had to insta murk him with a boss monster that did 3 damage in a single attack. xD

As an aside to all this: it is difficult to have any truly outstanding attributes if you aim for a more "balanced" build ,which may well put you behind some of the more focused characters some of the time. (And ahead of them other times). However, I have absolutely NO clue, based on this system, if there's a real downside to starting balanced and then building out, versus starting focused and then making up for deficiencies. Obviously, if one starts focused and just builds off of that focus, one will be very strong, but the weaknesses one has will still be there. And there's been a pretty good attempt to make sure that there is no real "dump" stat, or otherwise any way to have something terrible and NOT lose out or be countered somehow.

Like, I'm not sure Kanade's been very useful in combat outside of being a goddamn tank. But she's also the only character who can heal anyone. And not dying is useful enough in and of itself, I suppose.

She gives Aesil added humanity. That's super OP. XD

But yeah, tank healer with long range beam spam is pretty strong. I also like how I mentioned Aesil using gauntlets to protect her hands in the CS...and then never having her use it ICly.

Clearly, she ate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.