The second planetary nexus

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bitterblue

((I'm cool with it o.o it sounds like an interesting way to get them "up to speed" with things! :3))

York looked back, studying the men carefully before nodding at Kylara, he knew perfectly well he wasn't in a state to fight just yet, he was a bit drained of energy not to mention still injured... If only he had more time to practice with his abilities, hone them, make himself usefull. Hybrids like him were meant to have the strength of an entire army, but here, injured, and tired, he hardly would have the strength to stand a chance against those mutants, whatever enhancements they've been given.

"Right... We better move... If only I had more time to recover..." He grunted a little, as he started to speed up, he tried to stay next to Kylara, she didn't look very good either, this wasn't good! If only his suit has still been operational, he could have used it's rejuvinating properties, various substances meant to increase ones stamina for a longer period of time, but, without it, he knew it was inevitable he'd collapse after he was thoroughly worn out. Despite all this though, he'd try his best to fend off that army; from what he'd heard, he wasn't looking forward to being captured by the likes of them, it would do none of them any good, or at least so he thought.

Kylara nodded. "I can do a lot of damage from the air too, so I will be flying a lot of the time. Maybe cause diversions for you to attack." she said, as she jogged next to him. Noticing his slowing down, she grabbed his arm, put it around her shoulder and helped him. Some energy flowed from her skin into his, giving a static shock. It wasn't like last time, it was more energizing than anything. With that boost of energy, she let go, grabbed his hand, and took off as fast as she could.

Within five minutes of full on running, they had reached the cover of the trees. Ky slowed, looking for a decent, strong, lengthy stick that she could use from the air. Seeing none on the ground she jumped and flapped her wings once or twice to get her to the branches of the trees. Landing on one, she reached up and hacked off a branch with the radius the size of her arm, and as long as her arms reach. She was strong enough to be able to wield it from the air. She came down, with the branches on it and all, for it would also create damage.

"Battle plan, we have about five minutes. We need to get as far in as we can before we engage, so let's get going. I can maneuver through the trees in the air, but I wouldn't be as fast as I would be in the open air. So I'm not sure which would be better. We can herd them towards a specific location, like the lake....Yes that'll work. We get them to the lake and we push them back. We can start fire around them....this may work." She was thinking out loud as they ran. Angling their direction, she headed straight for their old camp. By now they could hear the footsteps of the hundreds of mutants. Along with that, Ky heard the distinct sound of snarling. Yep. Definitely mutants, the animalistic instinct showed.

They reached a clearing where she could take off easily. "You ready?" without waiting for an answer, she took off with the massive tree branch in her arms. Her powerful wings shook the leaves and the grass in the clearing as she rose into the air. None too soon...as the mutants had just broken through the clearing. Letting out a battle cry, Ky dived towards them with the branch outstretched. She managed to impale two mutants and injure another with her momentum. Dropping it, she landed, curled in her wings and went into hand to hand combat.

---
Mark watched from the end of the battle, he watched the tactic she used. Very clever, but short lived. He flexed, ready to see the look on her face when she saw him. Would she run to him for comfort? Would she freeze in unbelief? Mark smiled at the thought. The foolish girl had developed an attachment to him when he took her from the Facility...now to test the strength of that attachment...
---
Kylara, bloody by now began a steady retreat. She retreated until she heard York nearby. She had already taken down about 10 mutants on her own, and was exhausted. Remembering what happened when their skin made contact, she decided to take a risk. Delivering a punch to the gut and following it up with a knee to the throat of a mutant she expected to hear the normal crunch of bone, but instead felt a searing pain in her knee. Somehow the creature had managed to move in a way where her momentum carried her leg straight into his mouth. Screaming, she boxed the creature on the ears as hard as she could. When that didn't work, she started clawing at his eyes. Still the creature hung on. Pain was circling her. She began to see black spots cloud her vision. No. She needed to fight...."York!" she heard a voice shout his name as she tried to get the creature off her. More of them were on her now...she was being overtaken. Anger and fear took control. Her hands began to glow, she noticed it and placed them on either side of the creatures head. Finally, he released her knee and shrieked in pain. With a firm twist of her hands, she snapped the creature's neck.

Kylara collapsed, unable to stand on her wounded knee. She fought with all she had in her. She screamed as one of them pinned her wing down and broke it. They closed in on her, and she couldn't stop them. She took one last glance at York, he was faltering as well...he couldn't keep them off for much longer either. This was it. This would be the end....
"Enough." The mutants backed off, suddenly making way for the man behind the voice. Kylara's face scrunched into a snarl as she saw Mark walking through the now parted army. "Bastard." she spat at him. Mark just smiled. "Nice to see you too, sweetheart." he said as he gestured to two men behind him. Luckily they weren't mutants...she was seeing spots again. This time, she welcomed the darkness and blacked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bitterblue

York nodded, there was a determined look on his face, he just hoped his rifle would do at least some good... He may only get a few shots off before they came too close, but, as they appeared to lack energy shielding, perhaps he could permanently thin at least a few of their numbers, the weapon incinerated the bodies upon death, it was originally designed to minimize the spread of the flood. He made sure to keep up with Kylara, trying to conserve his energy for later, he drew his rifle as he ran, prepared for battle, his training had kicked in by now... All the time he had spent in battle gave him that edge at least, but, that didn't mean the mutants didn't have the numerical advantage here, swarming him like a pack of pure flood forms, designed and bred specifically for battle, or so it appeared.

"Shit." He muttered under his breath upon hearing the sheer amoutn of footsteps around them, it seemed they really were being swarmed, he hoped he had enough energy left to hold them off enough so they could get away, listening to Kylara's plan, he nodded again to confirm that he was with her on this. With the limited resources they had, maybe starting a fire around them would be the best idea, surround the mutants, burn off any stragglers, and make a quick getaway before they could be followed, or at least that was the most favorable scenario for them. They were at their old camp now, familiar territory, at least they had that advantage, something he just hoped the mutants didn't have.

As soon as Kylara mentioned if he was ready, he was about to reply, but, she had already taken off, so, instead, he raised his rifle, zooming in on the closest enemies to them as he backed up, firing a few times, though he quickly realized this was rather inefficient of him. Despite it doing heavy damage on the targets he hit; two of the mutants were incinerated in the process, he wasn't conserving ammo; scoped shots took up 3 pellets, so he'd have to stick with weaker bursts... He quickly zoomed out from the scope and reloading, continuing to fire at the beasts, incinerating one and maining a few others before they got close to him "Not so fast..." he said, suddenly pulling out his sword, with a few bursts of speed here and there, he started hacking away at the mutants, sustaining scratches here and there as he began to tire out. His movements were blurred, but, there were too many of those things swarming him for him to keep up with each swipe or lunge at him.

Kylara's voice calling out to him craning his neck, he noticed a creature that had latched onto her, and it seemed to be draining her energy! At least it wasn't an infection form, but, it still didn't bode well, for either of them, he raised his rifle as he ran forward, aiming to fire a quick burst to eliminate the creature, but, Kylara had beaten him to it. Using her strange powers, she managed to get the creature to let go of her, snapping it's neck after it had been stunned by her electrical surge, or at least that's what it looked like. She didn't look good though, and he redirected his aim to another creature, firing two more times, but, the clicking of his weapon indicated he had run out of ammo... He hadn't the time to reload, so, he placed his rofle firmly on his back as he grasped his sword with both hands now.

Letting out a temendous, but pained war cry, he mustered all the energy he could and started swinging wildly at the mutants closing in on them not really thinking about it too much... That was an odd thing to do, even for him, and he could swear the blue light his body was emitting was shifting to a reddish color, but, those thoughts were soon drowned out by the screams both he and the creatures had been making. He managed to eliminate about 5 more adding to his original kill count of about... 10 if he remembered correctly, but, then, suddenly, just as he felt like his energy pool was almost depleted, he suddenly heard a voice call off the creatures from their onslaught.

He looked up, standing on legs he was forcing to keep still, he saw a man, a human... Mark It looked like the civilization he came from was at about tier 4 of the technological advancement stage, no slipspace travel, or super weaponry, but, it looked like he'd been running some... Alarming experiments judging by the control he had over those freaks of nature. Kylara didn't seem to like him too much as she expressed much hate for him in the little conversation the two exchanged before Kylara finally lost consciousness from pure exhaustion. York gripped his sword tightly as he knelt next to Kylara, glaring at the man before he turned towards Kylara again he tried to reach a hand to her, letting his sword hang low on the ground from his other hand, a safe distance from her. Placing a hand on her back, he attempted to transfer some of his energy into her own body, he was unsure if it would work the way he had intended to, but, energy was energy, he needed just enough to revive her... Maybe they could get away from here... Somehow, but, he only realized his mistake when he withdrew his hand, his world was practically spinning right about now as he was dizzy, he had miscalculated how much energy she would need to be conscious again.

"Damn you to hell..." He hissed under his breath, he tried to make the most of the little bit energy he had left, he raised his sword again, but, as his body glowed a faint blue, he was only able to rush forwards maybe a few feet, granted he traveled rather fast, his movements blurring again. Then, exhaustion overtook him as he collapsed, glaring at that man again "The librarian was right... No... Matter... What... Evil minds will never cease to appear... It's... A fatal curse... No... Race... Can ever... Escape... It..." he managed to say, his words starting to slur before he finally collapsed, everything went black for him as his body shut down, his mechanical components were now stuck in idle mode until he can recover again.

@york
Mark smiled at York as he collapsed. He had meant to bring Ky here, but not this guy. OH well, by the looks of him, he could be useful. "Let's take this guy too." He said as he watched them finish restraining the girl. When they had them both restrained he ordered them taken back to the Facility. He hopped in after they had finished loading the two prisoners. He looked at his creation. His....dare he say it? Dare he even think it? No. He didn't. Kylara was a gorgeous young woman. Her brunette hair falling around her face, highlighting her high cheekbones and what would be deep brown eyes if they were open. He knelt next to her, and ran his finger across her cheek. He smirked. She looked so innocent in sleep, but that was just deceptive. Ky was a feisty one and would put up a heck of a fight.

Sighing, he moved a few feet back and pulled her knee up. His orders were to bring her in alive; and that wouldn't happen if infection set in. He pulled out the med kit, and some scissors. He cut her jeans above the knee, midway up the thigh all the way around. He gently pulled the bloody fabric from the mangled knee. The beast had done a job. It had almost broken the bone, But it had gone clear through. He ran some water over it until it ran clear, and then hydrogen peroxide. Once that was done, he wrapped her knee in white gauze and tied it off. That being done he left her and the other guy alone, and went up front.

An hour later they pulled into the Facility. The cargo was unloaded, and put into their cages.

_____

Kylara woke with a groan. Trying to sit up, she winced at the pain in her knee. She was on a very hard cot in a very small cell. It seemed familiar...her eyes widened and she gasped. The Facility! No, no no she couldn't be back here. She couldn't be...it all came back to her. The battle in the forest with York, her knee (which was now wrapped in gauze which told her she was wanted alive)..and mark. York! She looked around the familiar cell, and noticed the window looking into the other cell. She stood, gasping with pain and worked her way over to it. Looking inside, she saw York's still form on the cot across the room. "York!" she croaked, as her throat was parched. She called his name, again and again. Praying he wasn't dead. She should have just gone peacefully...none of this would have happened...

@Bitterblue

York could only hear faint noises and feel himself being strapped onto something before he fully lost consciousness, his mind drifted in a dream-like state, and for a moment... It felt as if he was back on his home planet again, in a field, that girl, Jane, a childhood friend, was looking over him. It confused him for a moment, he was about to ask her what was going on before suddenly, she started calling his name, but her voice wasn't hers it was... Kylaras! The scene faded quickly as he regained consciousness after a moment, his body beginning to register the various cuts and open wounds he had sustained from that battle, and at first, he was half expecting his armor to inject him with nanites, fixing this problem. Though it quickly dawned upon him where he was, but, he couldn't remember when he had been brought here exactly, probably after he had passed out.

Groaning softly, as he opened his eyes and craned his neck, he could see Kylara through the barred window in the cell next to him, with a bit of trouble, he managed to lift himself up "I'm alive..." hoarsely, looking at her closely it seemed Kylara's injuries had been treated, but, his on the other hand hadn't been tended to yet. He'd have to fix that, if he could find some more nanites that is... As one would expect, his items were gone, and maybe that wasn't his biggest concern, but, humans weren't supposed to get their hands on stuff like that until they've reached Tier II in their technological advancement, all he could hope now was that they weren't able to figure out how to reverse engineer forerunner technology yet.

He looked around at his containment unit, or, cells as they were called, strange name, but, accurate enough he'd suppose, there was just barely sufficient room to excercise in here, minimal living neccessities most likely. If he had more time to gather energy, he might be able to bust out, but, then what? Kylara seemed to know Mark better than he did, so maybe she had some ideas, he moed closer to the bars "We need to get... Out of here." he whispered to her, wincing a little as one of his wounds managed to tear open again, nothing too bad though... He'd live.

Last edited:
@york
Kylara sighed in relief and sank to the floor, unable to stand any longer on her leg. Her wing was hurting her too, every move she made sent a jarring pain up her wing. It looks like they didn't take the time to put it back in place. She would have to do it herself. Turning, she placed her back to the wall. Gritting her teeth, she shoved roughly against the wall and felt the bone realign. Letting out a short scream, she tried to catch her breath. She managed to reply to York's statement. There was no getting out of here. "Too weak. Security is heavy." she said this with a defeated tone. She was back. She was facing the reality that she was back in the Facility, where she had spend 15 miserable years of her life. "I can't believe I'm back at this forsaken place. 5 years I've managed to evade them and now....I'm sorry I've dragged you into this too." she whispered so low she didn't even know if he could hear her. "Try to get some rest, we'll need it for what's to come." she croaked loud enough she knew he had to hear.

She scooted herself across the room, trying not to put any weight on her leg. Pulling herself back onto the cot, she lay on her stomach, so not to hurt her wings any more. The cot was a bit out from the wall, which was nice of them. She was able to let her wings wrap around the sides, providing some warmth.

It was then that the door opened. Out of instinct, Ky tried to jump out of bed. Gasping, she just managed to fall onto the floor and jar her hurt leg. She looked at the person who had walked in and realized who it was and her face hardened.

"Hello, Kylara." said Mark. Kylara just snarled and spat in his direction. "Now, now. I am sure I taught you more manners than that, my dear. Now, let's take a look at that leg, shall we? We don't want an infection to set in." Kylara smirked. The day she willingly let him touch her again was gone. As he approached, she gathered her strength into one move. When he was close enough, she kicked him hard as she could manage between the knees.

Mark let out a satisfying gasp of pain, and sank to one knee. But he just laughed, causing Ky's anger to boil over. "Now, my dear. Be gentle. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Be a good girl, and let me look at your leg." he said, the teasing tone replaced by a tone of authority. "So you think, after all this time, I'm going to willingly let you try and 'help' me? Where are you? Fantasy land? I grew up when you left. I can take care of myself. Just leave. Me. Alone." Ky said in a low, growl-like voice. She was so angry, she felt as if she could explode. Heat radiated from her, and the room quickly became sweltering hot, despite the freezing degree weather outside.

Mark raised his eyebrow and jotted down a note. Possible control over temperature. He moved towards the girl, who thrashed under his touch. Smiling in a sick way, he ordered two men to come and hold her down. She fought them hard. She continued to struggle for five minutes until exhaustion took over.

"Get off me! Let me go! Please, let me go!" Ky's voice finally broke as desperation had taken hold. She bucked, and twisted, ignoring the searing pain it caused her. "Relax, and they will go away. I need to change the bandage." Kylara stopped struggling, and nodded in defeat. The hands holding her disappeared, and she pushed herself into a sitting position. "That's my girl." Mark said with a sly smile on his face. "Now, this will hurt but you need to stay still." Ky nodded, not able to fight anymore. She kept her face neutral as Mark unwrapped the bandage on her knee. It hurt like crazy, but she bit her lip, unwilling to show any kind of weakness. She saw the wound, and it was indeed inflamed. Mark cleaned it and re-bandaged it, and stepped back, discarding the bloody gauze in a sterile container. They could use the blood to study what had changed in the past five years.

"Turn, I'll take a look at your wing." Complying, Kylara turned and he wrapped a tight bandage around the break, making sure they would fuse correctly. "Now, that wasn't so hard, was it?" he said in that non-chalant tone that made Ky's anger fuel in her again. Before Mark turned towards the door, he pulled something out of his large pocket and tossed her a bottle of water. "Drink up, my girl." he said before moving to leave.
"Mark." turning his head he raised his eyebrow. "I'm not your girl." With a smile on his face, he turned and locked the door behind him.

He went to the cell next door, and walked in. "Hello. I must say, I am glad we came across you as well. Although it was an accident in bringing you hear as well. That jump was only meant for Kylara. My apologies. But the technology you had on you....spectacular. And little tiny robots in your blood? Even more! What are you, an experiment? Do you come from another world? Are you alien?" The more questions Mark asked, the more excited he got. He was eager to study this guy. Eager to examine him, his strengths, his weaknesses, what he could and couldn't do. All he saw in this man was a subject to study. Not a living creature, an experiment.

__
When Mark left, Kylara broke down. Silent sobs wracked her body, but she tried to keep them under control as she heard him talking to York in the cell next to hers. She opened the water, and gulped some of it down quickly. It helped soothe her throat, but that was the extent of it. She could not be back here. Memories flooded her...Malik, the flock....Angel. She sobbed for the family she had lost. She cried for the torture that they had gone through. She cried for the torture that York would have to go through on her account. She should have just left York alone...maybe he wouldn't be wrapped up in this if she had.

@Bitterblue
York nodded at what Kylara said, she seemed pained, and, when she had suddenly rammed her wing against the wall, the reason became obvious; a dislocated joint. As he was making his way back to his rather rigid resting place, slowly, he suddenly heard Kylara's door open. Mark was there, and it seemed he was strangely calm despite Kylara clearly expressing her hate for him, what was up with that man? He shook his head a little, sighing a bit, despite being part human himself, he could never understand the way some of them acted sometimes... Especially in this stage in development, but, before he could reflect on it too much, Mark had suddenly entered his room.

He simply glared at Mark with a sort of hollow look, processing the man's questions for a few moments... They were ones he knew he wouldn't answer so easily as he wasn't fit to recieve them, he analyzed him briefly, his eyes flashing a little to confirm his suspicions... This man did indeed originate from a Tier IV (4) civilization "Your race isn't ready for such answers... Our technology isn't meant for your kind... Not in it's current state." he said bluntly, despite the various emotions, and longing to break free, he knew perfectly well this "Mark" was most likely here to study him. He had to hide his power, the power he didn't quite understand himself yet, he wasn't supposed to be here... But, at least now, he didn't have to worry about the flood following him here, perhaps it was just a strange glitch in his slipspace drive that had torn through the fabric of time and space the way it did... Or perhaps it was a direct result of the flood tampering with his jump in an attempt to stop him.

In either case, it was unfortunate that Kylara's captors had found him as well, who knew what sort of chaos would ensue if a human such as Mark had access to Tier I technology too early; it would bring their own deaths upon them... Especially if they managed to find out about the halo array; that deadly superweapon was still most definitely functional, it was supposed to be a last resort weapon, only to be used if everything else they tried had failed, a big, universal "reset" button, allowing for the destruction and recreation of all life in the galaxy... Without the flood, or so one would hope.

A more hardened look appeared on his face as he practically started down Mark, he wasn't sure what that man had planned for him, nor if he would employ harsher methods to try and extract the information he wanted from him, but, he definitely had his guard up. If only he had more time to recover! Then, maybe, he'd be able to bust them out of there; the facility looked strong, but, he wondered if it could withstand an small-scale ionized blast, or perhaps a superheated blade. However, it was obvious he was too worn out to utilize any of the few abilities he had in store, though, he may be able to manage a few quick bursts of speed, but, he'd have to use that at just the right time, and right now, all he could do was wait for that moment to come.

Last edited:
Ky got herself under control, and tried to stand. Unfortunately, her leg was too weak, and gave out on her, causing her to land on her backside. She scooted over to the barred window separating her and York's cells.

"Your race isn't ready for such answers... Our technology isn't meant for your kind... Not in it's current state."

Ky closed her eyes. Yes. From what she had heard of his technology so far...humanity would destroy the universe if given that power. Unfortunately, she knew how Mark worked. Mark would stop at nothing to get that answer....

~~~

Mark's smile faded from his face at this answer. "In our current state? Hmm...we're at the highest state that we've ever been." he said. When York didn't respond to any more of his questions, he shook his head.

"So be it." at his beckoning, men came in, and grabbed York and dragged him out. They took him to a room where the floor was super heated. The only way to get the heat to stop was to keep moving. It was a maze, filled with lots of nasty traps. Take a wrong turn, you get hurt. Take a break, you get hurt. Only response to do is keep going. Mark smiled. He remembered this room well. He had used it on the youngest member of the 'flock', as Kylara would remember.

There were multiple traps. One of them, vines would wrap around you and start to constrict until you would be almost crushed to death. Then, there was the room with the fire. That was Mark's favorite. Streams of fire would randomly fly through the room, the place and direction were different each time and unpredictable. These are just a few special surprises for the experiment. The prize for getting through? A bottle of water.

Without explaining the goal, the men dropped York in the room and left before turning on the heated floors. Now let the fun begin!

~~~

Ky watched as they dragged York out. "Leave him alone!!!" she screamed to no avail. She scooted back to the door, and started kicking at it with her good leg. Soon enough, it opened and one of the men grabbed her and half dragged, half carried her to where Mark was standing. "Oh, hello Kylara. I thought you would enjoy the fun. Recognize this place?" he said with a laugh on his voice. Kylara froze, her jaw dropped open. That place was practically a death sentence. It took one of her flock members from her..."NO!!!! York!!!!" Kylara started to struggle. She managed to kick the man holding her between the legs causing him to let go and fall to the ground. As soon as she had started to limp towards the door of the room, Mark grabbed her around her middle. "Now, now, Ky. We all know he'll see sense eventually...or will he?"

"Your race has a long way to go... Especially you, Mark." York said before he truly fell silent, clamping his mouth firmly shut as he simply studied him, Mark looked displeased with his silence really, and eventually he ordered a few of his subordinates to drag him out of his cell. At first, he was uncertain of where he was going, but, suddenly, he was dropped into a particularly curious looking room, it almost looked like he'd been dropped straight into some sort of testing ground. He started to get moving, trying to get his bearings, the first jet of flames scalded his arm, but, he was ready for the second one when it came at a random interval, humping out of the way, but recieving another burn, he realized this may be quite troublesome if he were to try and keep his powers undercover like this.

It took York only a few moments to assess the situation, he hadn't the time to do a full analysis, neither did he have the tools available for him, the floor was super-heated, that much he could tell. He felt pain each time he let his feet linger for too long so he kept moving. Though at the same time, he would stop only for a few moments, gritting his teeth against the pain, his body shimmered a faint blue color as he channeled energy into himself to keep him going, trying his best to ignore the rising feeling of pain from his various burns and injueries. He was looking around for any traps or obstacles, just like he would in any simulated training program, only, here, this wasn't a simulation, it was a real place, it seemed they lacked, or just preferred to utilize an area like this for test subjects.

As he continued on, jet after jet of fire constantly spewed at him, occasionally singing his skin here and there giving him blisters, 3rd degree burns, and sometimes deeply charring away his flesh, he was trying to save his energy for his escape. Though soon enough, his body glowed blue more and more often as his instincts started to kick in, his motions were blurring a little, and despite getting burned still here and there, he was making good progress so far through the maze, who knew how long this would last though. Whenever he could, he tried to look around, to see if he was being observed by anything, cameras, windows, whatever Mark had laying around, he still wasn't sure just how advanced their technology was.

The soles of his feet were practically charred so badly, he could swear they'd been cooked, but, yet, he couldn't stop, he knew he couldnt... Despite getting thirsty without his suit to supply nutrients, he needed some form of hydration, but, he couldn't quite see where any water, or anything that may help him was around. For now, he had to keep moving, getting out of here with Kylara, escaping this labyrinth was the only thing that kept him going, and when that wasn't enough, he tried to summon up older memories. Combat situations that required the agility this situation did, just like on the battlefield, anything could kill you, you were constantly surrounded by danger, and safe routes to travel weren't always obvious. So far, he was doing good, but, he may succumb to these burns if he didn't go all out, but, could he? Did he dare in the presense of a malicious being such as Mark? From what Kylara had told him, he could only assume Mark would only strengthen security around him, intent on keeping him here along with Kylara and the rest, as yet another test subject to be toyed around with.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bitterblue
Mark watched in awe as York moved fast through the maze. When he glowed blue, he actually gasped. Kylara smirked. "What, none of your experiments have glowed blue before?" she said snidely. Her hatred for Mark had reached an all time high. She looked at her hands and saw that familiar blue lightning bouncing between her fingers. Not wanting to reveal this power to Mark yet, she folded her hands and worked on getting her anger under control. As she worked on her breathing, the heat in the room died down, and the energy was no longer surging through her. She smirked. Wait until Mark found out...when she electrocuted him. But she needed to heal first..and this was the best place to heal. As much as she hated this place, it was their best option of learning where they were.

She watched as York continued to dodge random flames shooting out. "Come on York, you can do this...keep some things hidden. We need the element of surprise on our side." she said under her breath.

After another 10 minutes of watching York attempt to make it through the maze, Mark gestured to the men to turn the room off. The floors were no longer heated, and the bursts of flame stopped. No need to kill the guy...yet.

Mark went in and helped York out of the room with his arm around his shoulder. As soon as they exited, Ky was there. She would have tried to help, but the men held her back."Bastards, let me go!" Mark laughed and turned to face York. "Magnificent! I've never seen anything of the like. Bob, take Ky back to her cell, I'm taking this one to the lab to run some tests."

Kylara had started to struggle, but Bob had kicked her in the knee, causing her to collapse, landing on her bad wing. She muttered the entire way back to the cell. She couldn't be back here...the torture would kill her. Let alone the guilt of dragging York here with her.

York seemed to be tiring out, but, in reality he was holding back, his muscles had a burning sensation in them as he hadn't channeled all of his energy into his body, though his injuries were a result of this... Though thankfully, before this ordeal could get any worse, the flames stopped coming, and the floor had ceased to heat up. He stumbled around a little as he regained his balance, the light blue glow fading from his body, he had to appear as tired out as he could, though he probably had a bit of energy in him to pack a decent punch. It would be better to save up all of that for later, he had only shown Mark his ability to boost his speed, his strength and his attacks were a different story entirely, they weren't something he wanted to reveal. However, on the downside, he'd need enough time to regain his strength, otherwise even one attack would simply wear him down.

He glared at Mark as he eventually helped him out of his room, making eye contact with Kylara briefly, a bit of a worried look in his eyes as he saw her being dragged away before he turned back to Mark "Always fascinated by such simple feats..." he said under his breath, shaking his head a little. It seemed he was a bit worn out from that ordeal, but, he acted as if he had exhausted most of his strength, even panting a little, the pain was something else though; he found it hard to ignore when every step he took seemed to send pain shooting up his leg. He'd just have to deal with that until those burns healed; it wasn't like this was his first time recovering from heavy burns, but, it never felt pleasant... And without nanites, it would prove to be a real troublesome task indeed.

"Simple? That was far from simple, at least in my book. York, isn't it? Well York, we have never seen abilities such as you have shown today." Mark walked over to the corner where a little stand was sitting next to the fridge. He opened the drawer and picked out what he wanted. He walked back up to York and rolled his sleeve up. He tied a latex band around his arm and took the sleeve off the needle. Mark was going to get a blood sample. "Let's see what you're made of, shall we?" he said with a jovial tone. He stuck the needle in and pulled the plunger out, taking an ample amount of blood to run several different tests on.

When he was done, he withdrew the needle, and wrapped a tight bandage around York's forearm to stop the bleeding. He took several test tubes and deposited the blood in them, and put them in the centrifuge. In a few short minutes, they would find out what he was made of.

An idea popped into his head. He walked out of the room and talked to one of the men, and entered the room once more. When the centrifuge said it was done, he took them out, and put them in the fridge. The door opened, and some men came in carrying a weird looking table, like York's only with a headrest with a hole in it. It also had strange protrusions above it, like you would strap an extra appendage to. Mark smiled.

~~~

Ky lay on the cot staring up at the ceiling, thinking of what would be going on with York. Mark would definitely be running some tests…but not sure what. He couldn't do much more on those burned feet, not without the nanites he spoke of. As her thoughts started to slow, Ky slipped into a light sleep, dreams of flying in open air filling her mind.

A few minutes later, she awoke to the sound of the door to her cell being slammed open. Men entered and dragged her to her feet and pushed her out the door. Whenever she slowed down because of the pain in her knee, they would kick her knee, causing even more pain. She was guided into a room where she saw York strapped down to the table. But what drew her eyes was that all too familiar table. She had already almost completely lost hope. Both she and York were injured…no hope of escape, or help coming. What could she do? She limped numbly over to the table, and rose her arms. Scientists yanked her shirt and her tight undershirt off. All that was left was her bra. She winced at the roughness of the scientists.

Without any further encouragement, Kylara wormed her way into the contraption, and spread her wings, which covered almost the entire room, and her face in the headrest. Scientists started binding her limbs to the table. They started with her legs, not caring if they jarred the wound, causing her to grit her teeth. She refused to give any sign of pain, even though she knew what was coming. When arms, legs, and waist were secure, they moved to her wings. They bound her wings to the board that was described earlier. She now let her wings relax, as holding them up took a lot of strength. They then placed little patches with wires to her bare skin. So they were going to use electricity this time, huh?

She could barely turn her head, so she was unable to see York. But that was quickly remedied as she felt her table being moved into his view. She met his gaze, knowing what would come. Mark had thought this through.

"Don't tell them anything." she mouthed quietly, hoping he understood what was bound to happen.

Mark grinned as he watched his creation walk obediently over to the table without even a noise of protest. He had broken her (or so he thought). Now, to find out what he had been waiting for. "Thank you for joining us, Kylara. We are about to take a look at York's blood sample. You are here, to help York...cooperate with our questions." he said with a large, childish smile on his face. He was really enjoying this. Kylara watched as Mark pulled out the blood, and deposited some of it on a slide and slid it under the microscope. This was an extremely powerful microscope, able to see DNA.

The microscope was connected to a large monitor, so they could all see it. Mark's jaw dropped. Not only was York's blood not fully human, but what was human had been altered severely. He was only half human. Yes, he had created several hybrids, but the DNA was never this clean, never this structured. He took another sample from the fridge, and ran it through several tests in the computer. The other half of the DNA came up as "unknown." He turned to York, "What are you? How is this possible?"

Kylara tensed. Knowing the pain was about to start. At York's silence, Mark sighed. He signaled one of the men, and she felt a searing hot pain travel through her body. She seized and arched, against her will a scream left her lips. The pain seemed to go on forever. Finally it stopped and her body went completely limp and she was gasping slightly. She couldn't breathe, she met York's eyes and whispered "No.' She was used to enduring pain, she was able to hide secrets from Mark because of this.

Mark turned to York. "You ready to talk yet?"

@Bitterblue

York just sighed, shaking his head, he seemed to smirk a little at Mark's comment about seeing who he was "Good luck." he said simply, sending what could only be described as a death glare towards Mark, it seemed he wasn't going to be talking too much more after this. Despite feeling the pain, he didn't flinch when a needle was promptly stabbed into his arm as a primitive looking needle was stabbed into his arm, their way of scanning biological data he presumed. Feeling the needle finally withdraw, he looked towards the amount of blood that had been drawn; it looked like alot but, he wasn't very concerned, losing a rather trivial amount of blood, it was nothing lethal, nothing he couldn't get back soon enough. His attention was soon drawn to the interesting looking contraption he was bringing the samples to, and upon looking closer, observing it spinning a few times, he quickly realized it was a distillation system. It seemed they had yet to develop the scanning technology he was used to, bio-scanning to be more exact, a way to detect a life forms biological composition and DNA with little difficulty, eliminating the need to go through the trouble of distilling biomass in order to analyze the contents within. He felt a tight bandage get wrapped around his arm, a simple, but effective way to prevent bloodloss without sealant cream or nanites to do it for you.

When Mark walked out of the door though, he heard muffled talking outside which drew his attention, he craned his neck to hear exactly what they were talking about, but, unfortunately, even with his sharp hearing, he couldn't pick up what they were saying. Soon enough though, Mark came in, and when the distillation process was complete, Mark had placed his distilled blood sample in what looked to be a basic refrigeration unit, before he could wonder how long his blood would survive in such conditions, the door opened, and a bunch of men brought in a peculiar looking table, and doing a quick lookover, he noticed it almost resembled his, just, with a few more protrusions, they looked just about the right shape and size to restrain a few more appendages, and that smile on Mark's face wasn't helping, it only further aroused his suspicions that they were going to "experiment" some more, or perhaps they were trying to extract information, only time would tell.

A slamming sound could be heard from the halls which made York crane his head to look towards it, it seemed that they were bringing Kylara in here, though, he really couldn't understand why they had to be so harsh about it... It irritated him a little that they would be so forecefull about moving a prisoner from one place to another, such behavior was frowned upon for the most part where he had come from. This alone wasn't what got to him as much as it did, so what exactly was bothering him about their harsh treatement with Kylara? It was a question he himself could not answer, something that was becoming increasingly common ever since his arrival. His train of thought was broken once more when he saw Kylara being dragged into the area too, rather roughly, and that didn't seem to be helpign the injury she had sustained to her knee. He had to use all the willpower he had not to attempt to break free of his bonds, he had to bide his time... He was strong enough to break his bonds yes, but, too weak to travel far before his energy would deplete.

Looking at Kylara again, the expression on her face indicated she had lost alot of hope in the situation, something they would require in order to "blow this joint" in a manner of speaking... Sometimes he preferred using such statements, but, only if he thought they applied to the situation at hand. She had obediently climbed onto the table, limping due to her injured knee, raising her arms. It was starting to become painfully obvious that she had undergone a process like this one before, and as he watched, they stripped down the two layers of clothing exposing her bare skin, whatever they were doing required that sort of exposure he presumed, and, he soon averted his eyes after a moment. It was a natural human reaction, something that had transferred onto hybrids such as himself for the most part, but, curiousity had him look back, it appeared they were attacking nodes of some sort to her, either to monitor her vital signs, or to channel electricity into her body.

In either case, it seemed like a rather basic concept, but, at the same time, if it were electricity they were channeling into her body, who knew how much pain it would cause, even if it was a basic way to torture someone, not nearly as bad as pain projectors, but, pretty close all things considered. Soon enough, after all the nodes were properly attached, the table Kylara was on suddenly shifted towards him, allowing him and her to make eye contact, this baffled him for a moment. Though reading Kylara's lips as she tried to communicate with him, he quickly understood what they intended to do; they weren't trying to extract information from Kylara, but rather from him, and it soon dawned upon him that Mark's greed fueled his hunger for knowledge, both about the Hybrids and the technology they possessed, something they weren't supposed to discover unil several hundreds of years from now, when their civilization was better equipped for interstellar trouble, and people like Mark held little significance anymore.

Now that he had figured this much out, he looked towards Mark with a more hatefull expression, trying his best to keep himself calm enough so he wouldn't be using any power, revealing that he still had it in him to do so would be a dastardly mistake indeed. As his suspicions were confirmed, Kylara was merely here to "help" Mark get the answers he needed, though, first, he seemed to want to figure out what he was, and York wasn't going to be the one to break the news that he was a Hybrid to him. Noticing the large monitor displaying his DNA, York couldn't help but find himself a little impressed that they'd found a way to see DNA strands using primitive methods such as these, perhaps they were making progress, on their way to ascending to a tier III race, baby steps, but nonetheless. Though it seemed he might have overestimated the progress of some as Mark seemed baffled to say the least, getting worked up and throwing questions at him which York still refused to answer, it was almost amusing for a while seeing Mark freak out like that.

Though since he provided no answer, it seemed Mark had gotten impatient and proceeded to give a few hand signals, signifying the beginning of this interrogation. This made him angry again as it did indeed appear that he was trying to torture Kylara utilizing electric shocks, using his own empathy to extract information from him, and upon seeing Kylara in pain like that, he clenched his fists, a reddish glow becoming prominent in his irises for a brief moment. When Kylara's eyes met with his own though, telling him "no" it seemed to snap him out of his enraged state quickly, he seemed calm once more, as if nothing had happened, but, on the inside, he was giving it his all to keep himself from doing anything stupid. When Mark turned to him and asked if he was ready to talk, York readily met his eyes with what could only be described as a death glare "Ite... Ad... inferos.." he said, reverting to the Forerunner language briefly in his anger. Though, he quickly remembered that Mark probably didn't understand him "It means... Go.. To... Hell..." he growled, emphasizing his words to make the point clear that he wouldn't be answering Mark's questions.

Mark watched York's face as Kylara seized and thrashed in pain. Yes, Electricity may seem old school to him, but it was still very impressive. He noticed the flash of red in his eyes and raised an eyebrow. Taking a pair of scissors, York cut through what was left of York's shirt. Pulling it away, he began hooking little nodes to him as well. However, these were to monitor his vitals, not to torture him. He also had a portable x-ray machine brought in. Before he would question further, he would need to see what York's insides were like, and if they were mainly like normal humans, or different.

After several x-rays were taken, he deemed that Kylara had enough time to rest. He turned to York. "Each time you don't answer, we up the voltage that goes through her body. You don't want to be responsible for that, do you York? Where are you from? When are you from?" At York's silence Mark sighed. "So be it."

Kylara was still trying to catch her breath when the pain started again. Screaming, she thrashed and arched her back as much as her binds would let her. That alone caused even more pain in her wing, but it was nothing. Nothing compared to the electricity coursing through her. The pain was unbearable. It felt like fire burning through her veins, her heart was beating very rapidly, even for her. She couldn't breathe, she couldn't think, all that existed for her was pain.

Mark looked at Kylara with a sick smile on his face. He would get his answers. Looking at York, he smiled. "The longer you stay silent...the longer she hurts." he said as he turned the dial upping the electricity flowing through her body. "STOP!" she screamed. All that she wanted, all that she needed was to breathe, for this unrelenting pain to stop...

@Bitterblue

York seemed to tense up as his shirt was cut off, as the nodes were attatched to him, various scars were clearly visible upon his skin, various circular shaped scars and ones that looked to have formed from lacerations were apparant. The x-ray seemed to reveal no differences in his anatomy, his organs were more or less the same except for his skeletal structure, it looked like it was made of a more metallic substance, non-magnetic though, what's more interesting was that it appears it was made up of a framework of durable nanobots, developing almost like a regular bone would. His vitals appeared stable to the time being as York frowned,at Mark's question, his question remaining rather hostile "You know perfectly well it's you responsible for that..." he said, his voice remaining rather level... Though there was a distinct hint he might lose his cool at this rate, he stayed silent, not responding to his questions.

As predicted, Mark sent voltage through Kylara's body again, this only furthered York's agitation, he growled, closing his eyes as he suppressed himself from losing his temper again, his heart rate started to increase a little, but, as calm as he was for the moment... Kylara was clearly in pain, and he knew he couldn't stay silent, so, soon enough, he finally responded "97,379 B.C.E." he said, then, he muttered a few unitelligible words, it appeared he had purposely spoken in the Forerunner language again. He knew perfectly well that the intelligible portion of his answer alone should baffle Mark, most civilizations weren't predicted to know of the events that occurred during his own time period until they were able to explore the dephs of the Milky Way galaxy with ease.

All he could hope for was that this answer would be enough to keep Mark from torturing Kylara like this, otherwise he'd be stuck in quite the predicament... If this continued on too much longer, he might just have to risk breaking both of them free, but, would he have the energy to do it? Even if he had, he realized he might need to give it his all if they were both to have a chance of getting out of here, he didn't belong in this time period, he wasn't supposed to be here... If anything, he shouldn't even be in contact with humans in their current stage of evolution, but, yet here he was, being interrogated for the technology that was once a common sight in the galaxy, he'd just have to hope the flood doesn't find a way here as well. Sure, they've got his co-ordinates, but, with any luck, that wormhole he must have gone through to get here had closed itself up, but, sooner or later, they'll know for sure if they did, and he'd be in no state to even stand a chance if they were still stuck here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitterblue
Mark's eyes widened as he stopped the machine. Kylara went limp as she gasped loudly. She took long deep breaths, trying to get her body under her control again. York shouldn't have spoken....if anything, he should have lied. She kicked herself for screaming, she should have internalized the pain. Still breathing, she tried to stretch, but the bonds holding her wouldn't relent. Mark had ordered the nodes attached to her to be removed which meant she was done being tortured...at least via electricity.

"97,379 B.C.E?! Where from? I see you're frame is more metallic looking...more robot like than normal humans. What is your kind called?" Mark was excited. Kylara wasn't able to handle any more electricity, not at the moment. They would have to wait until she recovered to continue. "I'll give you time to consider your answer first. Take them away." he said.

Kylara was still struggling to breathe in addition to the tremendous pain. When they undid her bonds and got her out of the table, she literally collapsed under her own weight. Her legs were not able to hold up her body weight...Mark smirked. He decided to let York carry her back to her cell. When the men moved to drag her away, Mark stopped them. "You're the one responsible for this, so you should assume responsibility for her." he said with a pleased tone. They would be allowed to share a cell...for now. His boss would have him for it though...

Kylara looked up at York. She wouldn't give up...they could torture her all they want...she wouldn't give them what they wanted. Could York say the same?

@Bitterblue

York tilted his head, he had only revealed the most subtle information, but, at this rate, as dishonourable as it would be, he might indeed have to fabricate a few lies, but, thankfully, the ordeal was over as the nodes were being removed from Kylara. His fists wre clenched to tightly that his nails were digging into his skin, if he had applied just a little more pressure, he probably would have punctured the skin on his palm, it seemed Mark was excited by the little he revealed though. That only reinforced the fact that lying would be a better thign to do next time, there was no way in hell he was saying anything more, not about his origins, the locations he knew of, and certainly not of his technology.

His attention shifted to Kylara when they finally unrestrained her, she didn't look to be in good condition to say the least... That didn't exactly help him supress the irritation and even outright contempt he felt for Mark, but, when the men were about to drag her away, thye were stopped, it seemed Mark wanted to shift that responsibility onto him. York didn't complain, but, he did glare at Mark again, he wasn't about to repeat himself about the entire shifting of blame thing, it was no use... He was fairly certain Mark knew perfectly well that he was the one who gave the order to hurt Kylara. As he held Kylara carefully in his arms, they met eyes again as he started on his way back to his cell, or well... Their cell now, from what he could gather from what Mark said.

For a moment, his mind drifted back to a more peacefull time in his life, he had once carried someone like this before, when war was a foreign concept for him. Though soon enough, he snapped out of this train of thought before he lost himself in it entirely "Don't worry." he told her simply, keeping his words simple, he knew it wouldn't do them any good to talk too much when they were being listened in on. As much as he wanted to tell her he wouldn't be telling Mark anything more, he knew it would only hurt Kylara more if Mark found out about that, instead, he gave her a more reassuring look, trying his best to hide the worry in his eyes. They would have to break free of this place soon, but, the question was; what was the best way to go about doing that?

@york
Kylara winced as York gently lifted her off the ground. He was careful not to jerk the wounded wing, which she appreciated. She wrapped her arms around his neck for a little more support, but mostly, she tried to keep consciousness. She heard him murmur something, but couldn't really make it out. It would be easier to just give in...her brain and her body needed rest. Her wing was healing, it didn't hurt as much and her knee should be better by morning if no one else jarred it as much as they had been doing.

She met his eyes for a brief moment before giving in, and her form went limp right as they entered the cell, her head falling to rest upon York's shoulder.

@Bitterblue

It was surprisingly difficult to carry Kylara without moving her too much, especially her wing as it was still wounded, the feeling of her wrapping her arms around his neck was something familiar to him yet... Different for a change, he'd carried the wounded before, but, most didn't have the strength left to do what Kylara was doing, though, strategically speaking, it did help him keep her relatively stabilized as he drew closer and closer to their cell, making sure through all of this that he wasn't moving Kylara around too much. As he looked down at her to see if she was alright, their eyes locked for a moment, cueing him in that she was quite worn out to say the least, as confirmed when she let herself go limp, her head resting on his shoulder. Fully entering the cell now, he assessed the cot they were provided, a little rigid sure, but, it should be softer than the ground below them, he carefully put her down, taking extra care not to move that injured wing as he placed her on the cot, and, once he was sure she wasn't going to fall or anything, he sighed, letting himself relax a little as he sat down on the ground. His thoughts were beginning to drift off to his home world, and the time he recalled spending there... Slowly but surely, in his thoughts, he was beginning to doze off, his eyes closing slowly but surely, without him realizing this until he was more or less fast asleep for the time being.

((I'm going to have York be in her dream...not sure if you'd count this as godmodding, if you do, I'll remove it. It has something to do with some of her character development.))

Mark smirked as he saw the way Kylara responded to York's touch. It was similar to the way she was with Malik...or maybe weakness was getting the hold on her...she was getting soft.

Kylara's dreams were not very peaceful. As usual, Malik was there....but this time York was too.
Ky looked at Malik and made a move to embrace him, but Malik stepped back with a look of disgust on his face. "You betray me, Ky. You've begun having....feelings for this guy you've just met. You are my wife. You can't betray that vow..." Kylara just stared in shock. She shook her head, "Malik, York and me...we're nothing more than....acquaintances. What he knows, if they find out...it'll be the end. Just because I suffer what I do for him, doesn't mean I love him. I'll never love anyone like I loved you..." turning to York she couldn't meet his eyes. Was she truly falling for him? They had fought together...there is a bond that grows in that. She felt him moving closer, she smelled him. Sure enough, her already rapid heart rate increased, and she sucked in a breath. As dream York reached out to hug her she stepped back. "Kylara...please. Let me help you..." she shook her head, and took a few more steps back, only to hear Malik laughing. "See, I told you. He obviously has feelings for you, and you for him. I love you, Ky. I can't stand seeing you with anyone else. Once you get over him, then come back to me." Dream Malik disappeared, leaving the Ky and Dream York alone. "Malik!! MALIK!!! Come back!!" Ky screamed as tears started to fall down her cheeks.

Kylara woke with a sob. This is the first time she could remember having her dream, the dream she looked forward to every time she went to sleep, interrupted. To have Malik accuse her like that...it tore her apart. She tried to stretch and found that it brought far less pain than she expected. She propped herself up and looked around. To her surprise, York was still there...on the ground. She smirked. Mark wasn't all that smart...although they would obviously be listening in...they could still communicate.

She shook her head, clearing her thoughts. She looked at York's sleeping form. Did she really start to care for him? Sure, they'd had to fight together, and that takes an intense load of trust...but to extend that to....love? No. She wouldn't let herself. It was her fault that Malik died, she'd seen signs but chose to ignore them. She would not betray her love for Malik by letting herself fall for another man. She lay back down, facing away from York and towards the wall. She kept her tears silent, so that York would not hear and wake up and ask what was wrong. She would endure torture for him...but only because what he knew would endanger earth. Not because she loved him.

Status
Not open for further replies.