elAzAr : weApons mAster
It was difficult to say which Elazar hated more: wasting time on shore leave or how excited the crew was for it. The INS Ophelia had successfully docked not long ago, and now he could hear people walking by the training room in gaggles, chattering loudly about their plans and giggling. Positively nauseating. He wiped the sweat from his brow using his sleeve and switched off the welding gun he'd been using to finish the new, more durable pod for simulations. This new one wouldn't be a simple replacement, no - it would be a vast improvement. But with that goal came a somewhat irritating stipulation: he'd have to leave the ship to secure the materials he needed. He could order them and wait for their arrival, certainly, but why do that when he was positively itching to complete the project and there were shops nearby he could visit?

So, with a great deal of reluctance, he found himself joining the stream of crew mates heading planetside the next day. He kept his distance, more out of habit than anything else, and soon found himself exiting the great space elevator at a level the directory indicated would be suitable. Around him, buildings of various sizes were lit by neon outlines and signs. Nearly every sign advertised some type of electronic, weapon, or weapon modification store. The sheer scope of the specialities offered was nearly overwhelming, and Elazar did his best to take it all in as he walked slowly from one end of the "thorn" to the other. The walking paths were quite crowded with species of all shapes and sizes, and neatly lined along the edges were several holographic trees, also neon. As his gaze turned upward, he noted that the entirety of this floor's shell was made of glass. Above, he could see the various ships docked, including their own, and the planet stretched out below, its cityscape glittering faintly through the gaps in the walking paths. Only a fool would overlook the beauty of it.

He finally settled on a small shop about two-thirds of the way back to the elevator advertising holographic equipment. The interior was a bit bewildering, as it was entirely blacklit and electronic music was blaring loudly - This isn't a damned nightclub - but the pricing was as fair as he'd seen in a while, and soon he found himself haggling with the shop's manager. It may or may not have taken a few thinly veiled threats, but eventually he secured an excellent deal on a holodeck light projector and training weapons that would be compatible with it, along with a few minor replacement parts he needed. He sent his purchases off with a delivery droid, and once that was accomplished he spent a bit of time window shopping, not particularly in the market for anything but curious to see what was here. As he walked, it was difficult not to notice that he was the only person from the Ophelia who was alone, and those who made eye contact with him quickly corrected their error upon realizing it.

Sighing, he slipped into a gap between buildings and removed his mask along with the most recognizable bits of his uniform, including his short cape and his dimly glowing knife. He carefully placed them in his bag and re-emerged looking like any other Dina Amor on the street, albeit a tad more grumpy than them. On a normal day he could care less about the impression he made on the others. Personal relationships were frivolous, and he certainly did not have time for frivolity, not now that the stakes were so high with the re-emergence of…No, on a normal day it did not matter. But this wasn't a normal day.

He hadn't been paying much mind to where he was going as he brooded, but he found himself back on the great elevator. Part of him wanted to go back to the ship, either to continue working on the training room or to do more research about this Perseus Galatea. But the corner of his mind that he could keep muzzled on most days was whispering in his ear, and he soon stepped out on the entertainment level. The captain had said something about the pubs here being exceptional.

Night had well and truly fallen now, and the stars above shone in a breathtaking tapestry. He slipped into one that was jammed with people, some of them from the ship, and he was immediately glad he had removed his mask. He slipped onto a vacant stool and ordered a glass of bourbon, enjoying his relative invisibility amongst his peers. Only two crew mates had seen his face, and he doubted either of them would be here. His lips quirked at the corners as he imagined I-6 at the nearby table with some of the security team, advising them about the precise percentage of alcohol entering their bodies and how much of it would be safe.

His bourbon arrived and he took a sip, relishing the warmth settling in his stomach. He tried to imagine what Velshia would be doing here and failed entirely. If anything she was probably using the shore leave to work on a personal project. He hadn't seen her since their return, and the more he drained his glass the more readily he admitted what a shame that was. She was…a fascinating enigma, to say the least.

Trion Nixarn, Head Scientist

TrionSide.jpgGabi certainly seemed to do a good job playing the part of captain to him, he wasn't exactly a social expert, but she didn't seem concerned in the least by them and he'd known his first time being in charge of anything had been stressful. He smiled back at her and reached to shake her hand, maybe just a bit too excitedly. This was the sort of expedition he'd dreamed of going on, literally the sort of thing myths were made of. "Trion Nixarn, these three are Zeetha Vlare, Mikael Samsar, and Ivelos." He gestured to the woman, man, and android in order, each smiling and nodding in turn. "Our little pocket of the Resistance sent us to make sure you had a science team, or beef up what you had. We're supposed to put ourselves under your command and make ourselves part of your crew like everyone else. We could use some space to set up a lab and equipment, assuming you're not way ahead of us." He was trying to keep himself formal, but it was hard when he was excited about what they could find. He'd been called back from a side job and sent out almost as soon as he had gotten back, and their briefing hadn't contained all the details he would have liked. "I've got a whole set of digital files for you about us, our training, and specialties. I was told to give this to you before that though…the Old Man was very clear about making sure I gave it straight to you." Trion told her, pulling a small envelope out of his pocket with 'Burnett' written on it by hand. Inside was a short letter, also written by hand on common paper. "Before you ask, I don't actually know what's in it. Even I know not to stick my nose into some things that aren't my business."

Captain Burnett

Little Gabi, all grown up and commanding the Cotopaxi she once ran about causing mayhem. I can only imagine how proud your family would be at where you are now, I certainly know that I am.
I've sent my best team of scientists, I'm pretty sure that Trion knows every ancient civilization and myth about the Phoenix Nebula by heart. He's as sharp as they come, he and his team know their exploring, and you can count on them. Just don't get him started or he'll talk your ear off.
You don't need any of us old wash-outs leaning over your shoulder. You know your mission, and as important as the council can be it's more important to follow your instincts. Do what you know is right, and trust your people. The rest of us will keep things from exploding around here in the meanwhile.

You can do this
Uncle D.A.

"I can answer other questions for you, or whoever you want, really. I'm not sure how much context the files have, and we're all from the same system and it's about as far from being anywhere as you can get without leaving civilization entirely. I don't even think we show up on most maps…though we might actually be on some Resistance maps since we were involved in the wars, distantly…" That warning about talking her ear of seemed to be justified. It was even less likely any of them had heard of Kylyro unless it was a Paranoia War horror story, since things had been absolutely horrific there by the time it was retaken. "We've been pretty isolated since then." That was incredibly intentional on their part. Isolated places always seemed to pick up a reputation for going strange, too. He suddenly remembered where they were, and how many people were watching them and coughed a bit. "Though I guess the bridge while you're getting ready for liftoff is a bad place for that, should we just get ourselves out of your way until you want us for something?" Trion had never liked being the center of attention and even he could tell that a lot of these people weren't so sure about these sudden arrivals. Maybe he should at least send his people to take care of their stuff, but he didn't want to dismiss them before Gabi said something.

Reactions: Quake
The Sleeper

Without planning for it, Velshia burst through the doors to the establishment with what could only be declared as regal absurdity. With a gold plastic tiara on her head. Decorated with a pink, fake gem and a regal red cloak. In tow were her chiefs of staff and one of the maintenance staff. All were dressed in cheap fantasy wear from a cleric to a wizard to a ranger. Clashing horribly with their off-duty uniforms.

"Behold, my subjects, the abode we shall dine at before continuing our night's revelry! Gastion, claim us a booth befitting your queen's stature."

"My Queen, allow me to first ensure that such a place is secure," the wizard, Gastion, objected.

"Oh, very well. But be quick! Our royal pallet must be sated with the finest wines and the board's crispiest roast."

"Of course, my queen," Gastion bowed while running a very obvious prism of lights across the pub's. Earning a few glares for his trouble. "We are safe and this place seems as secure as necessary."

"Excellent! Then delay no more and seek us a sitting place. Haste! Haste! For my eyes do spy, and do not belie, the form of and ally to try to add to our side," Velshia replied as Gastion, with another superfluous bow, headed off. Taking the other two forward to the bar, she eyed the barkeep's unamused form up and down before declaring, "noble keeper of the taps, I require a glass of that wine. Do not scoff, I know what I buy. My divine gaze pierces all such mundane guises. Including yours master of battles, Elazar!"

The play of lights had revealed the distinct form of the Weapons Master. The group's stroll had given her eyes more than enough time to confirm it. "What brings you here, my good sir? My court is in need of a fellow of such skills as yours."

"My queen," interjected Lebeorn, dropping his persona a bit, "are you certain about…"

"Of course, I'm certain," she overrode his objection with royal certainty, "now come, Elazar, join our merry party for, while we are introverts, we will not celebrate alone this night! And nor should you!"

unknown.png

The Chosen Hand
The Messenger of Ink and Blood
The Herald of the Holy, Destined to Sail the Stars~~

Harli was firmly seated at her station in bridge. Now with the ship going forward with an actual departure, the ship had resumed its buzz and hustle, possibly even more now. Harli was doing coordination. Apparently even with how much the Resistance had been prepping for this day, many were still confused, had no idea who they were reporting to, and everyone was defaulting to trying to hail Captain Gabi. Not wanting to waste the great talents on the 'brave captain who will guide them through the stays', Harli intercepted all these calls and forwarded them to the correct supervisors and department heads. All the while, she was scribbling notes in a journal. It was a separate one from the holy scripture she was writing, this one was more like a normal notebook. She was trying to note down who she thought was notable on the ship and who wasn't. Her notes were a mess of names, cross outs, and circles as she told another crew member the captain wasn't the one to discuss the mess hall menu with.

She soon got to take a break from that as an arrival message appeared on her console and the captain gave her direct instruction. She turned to where Gabi was a gave a deep bow. "As you wish, it shall be done, oh radiant Captain." She said, almost singing, before turning back to her console and resuming her duties, the order for clearances sent quickly before the research team arrived.

She looked at Perseus as he sat down and began calibrations, studying him. She already had a chapter written about him. How a golden dove found the holy ark and saved it with a daring rescue warp. But almost the entire thing was written through hearsay and embellishment. It would make for much better story for her to observe him doing more amazing feats. Once Perseus caught her eye, she gave him a little-too-wide grin. She was expecting great things from the chief engineer.

Before she could start interviewing him though, a new alert came up on her console, and this one of a priority level that had yet to show up today. A new communication window opened and Aiko popped up, starting to talk in a language Harli had yet to learn. Before she could bring up auto-translate programs, Aiko sent her text, then closed the channel. "Galactic coordinates follow. 331. 336. 7339. Tell Gabi 'all haste'!" Aiko, what a very interesting girl. Her name was already circled five times in Harli's notes. She was definitely an interesting one, if maybe too unknown. One who would definitely help shape this voyage. And these coordinates… Harli's grin was getting bigger. She might just be delivering information that would launch the holy vessel on its important journey. Her heart was beating quick as she got up to deliver the news to Gabi personally. "My radiant captain, excuse the interruption, but Aiko has just sent us these coordinates and is asking for utmost haste. Your command, Captain Gabi?" She asked as she showed her Aiko's message and the coordinates, eagerly awaiting Gabi's response. She felt her pen would soon be busy.

image.png
Sorrin looked out a virtual window down towards Atumgrad. He was a bit torn on the shore leave. On one hand, it was always nice to have a break from the ship. But on the other, he hadn't done anything during the last operation so it felt like he was just moving from killing time on the ship to killing time in an outpost. The training room was still being repaired though, so he couldn't do too much on the ship anyway. He exited his room, already dressed down into more casual civvie clothes as he made his way to Jlita's room. They always left the ship together. He didn't know which of them was babysitting the other when they did this. She was older, he was more responsible and level-headed. "Jlita! You ready yet?" He asked as he knocked on her door, completing ignoring that most of the rooms on the ship used intercoms and doorbells. He expected the door would open and Jlita would be all suited up in hoverboarding gear or basejumping gear or something that signaled she was getting up to no good.

Well he was right on the latter half. The door slid open and Jlita stood there with a goofy grin on her face, hands on her hip as she proudly showed off her outfit to Sorrin, who's jaw just hit the floor. She was dressed completely in synthetic fur and animal hide. From scaly, crocodile hide pants to a garish tiger print shirt, to a huge and floofy white fur vest. And to top it all off, she had the top half of a bear's head as a hat, with the rest of the fur dangling down her back in a cape. "Whadd'ya think? Shocked?"

Sorrin stood there agape for a good five minutes before he finally managed to mouth. "What the-"

"So Gastion from informatics said they were going to go bar hopping in like ancient fantasy garb! And that sounded way too fun to pass up! So Whadd'ya think? I'm the barbarian!"

Sorrin had to stifle saying 'that's perfect for you'. It would just encourage her. "Well let's get…going then with that-" Sorrin turned to start heading for the disembarking ramp when Jlita grabbed him very firmly on the shoulder.

"Not so fast, you're coming too."

"…okay? I was probably going to head to a bar any-"

"No no no. You're coming to the bar…like me."

"Noooo!" Sorrin screamed as he was dragged into Jlita's room.

"I'm taking the hobbit to Isengard!!" Jlita cried out in glee as the door slid shut.

~~~

unknown.png
Jlita was soon strolling through the streets of the imperial outpost, clearly happy with her outfit as it turned many heads, some even thinking there might be some show going on. And behind her she was dragging a very very reluctant and embarrassed Sorrin, dressed head to toe in a green tunic, shoes, gloves, and a dark green cloak. Jlita somehow managed to even wrestle and glue on a pair of pointy elf ears onto him. The entire time, Jlita kept humming about taking the hobbit somewhere.

Jlita soon found the bar she was told to gather at and burst in the door, which had apparently just finished closing from the last boisterous entrance. She soon spotted Velshia's group, not like they were hard to miss, and soon strode over, bowing to her. "My queen! I come bearing gifts of the finest furs, the heartiest tales, and even heartier appetites! May we join you for a meal most noble?" She boasted in a mostly loud voice. Sorrin was trying to see how tight he could tighten his hood around his face.

Elazar had seen a lot of shocking things in his life - things that were scarcely to be believed. But Velshia bursting into the pub clad in a cheap medieval costume topped the list by a mile. It took a great deal of self-control to keep his jaw from physically dropping open. She had to be drunk off her arse. That was the only reasonable explanation. Wasn't it? Maybe not.

Much to his dismay, her powers of observation weren't affected in the slightest, and she was shouting his name across the pub now. Gods, he wanted to disappear beneath the floorboards and into sweet, sweet oblivion. He didn't miss the way the facial expressions of several crew mates in the room tensed, including some in her own party, and anger briefly flared in his belly. So much for his "disguise" and having a somewhat normal evening. No, that was ruined now.
And then she was inviting him to join her party. He shook his head, quietly said, "No," and hoped she'd be able to read his expression - there was absolutely no way. None, not in all the hells that had been dreamt of.

Mercifully, distraction arrived in the form of an equally ridiculously clad individual, someone Elazar vaguely recognized from the ship with someone who looked about as thrilled as he did in tow. She strode over to Velshia's table and started loudly speaking to her, and he took the opportunity to slide off his stool and over to the door. Maybe if he got lucky he could slip away unnoticed...

We can plant a memory garden, say a solemn prayer, place a poppy in my hair
the great war
Gabi worked to suppress a smile as Trion explained why his team had arrived - his ill concealed excitement about the prospect of shipping off reminded her of Perseus. He too clearly had a lot of passion for his speciality, and she could certainly see the merits of having a more specialized research team if they did happen to find a way into the Phoenix Nebula. What they had now was sparse at best, with most pulling double duty in other departments, and she still hadn't chosen someone to head up the department itself. "Welcome, all of you," she said.

Her eyebrow arched slightly when Trion held out an envelope, of all things, and said that an old man had given it to him. When was the last time she had seen actual paper? Entirely unsure of what to expect, she took it from his offered hand and opened it, dropping her eyes to familiar handwriting. Outwardly, her expression was unreadable, but the further she read the more difficult it became to keep a lid on her emotions. She so rarely heard anything from her old crew. Not a word from anyone when she'd taken over the ship, besides her uncle, of course. Do what you know is right, and trust your people. You can do this.

Carefully, she replaced the letter in the envelope and stuck it in her pocket to be read over and over again later. She returned her gaze to Trion. "Thank you for this," she said quietly. "Our resources at your disposal. In the meantime, our AI's name is Eve. Transfer your digital files to her, and I will read through them. Expect a long list of questions," she added dryly. She glanced around at the same time as he did and realized belatedly how closely they were being watched. This was how her every move was going to be taken from now on, she supposed. It was fairly easy to tell the situation was making the new team uncomfortable, so she said, "Eve should have your room assignments by now." She glanced over her shoulder at the closest secretary. "Ana, can you show our new crew mates where to go, please?" she asked. The secretary nodded and stood. Gabi looked back at Trion. "You're welcome to stay if you'd like."

Just then, Harli interrupted with a transmission from Aiko. That was...odd. It was unlike Takeda to send cryptic messages in place of bounding into the bridge proper and causing mass confusion. She frowned as she read it, perplexed. Make all haste? Why? Her instinct was to call her down here and question her in person, but...she was the key to finding the Nebula. But a demented, ever so slightly unhinged key that she was hesitant to trust, especially given her recent impersonation stunt. After a moment, she looked at Harli. "Ms. Gesmel, can you pull up our navigational chart, please?" she asked, nodding at the massive floor projector that dominated the center of the bridge. "Plug in the coordinates Ms. Takeda has given us," she said, hoping to get some inkling of what kind of goose chase this was.
There's no morning glory. It was war, it wasn't fair. And we will never go back...
Code by Jenamos

The Sleeper

Velshia was, of course, a long way from drunk. Of the other establishments the party had visited, she had only ever ordered one glass of wine. On top of that, she rarely finished before moving on. Preferring to observe her 'subjects' with critical eye. With such eyes, she read Elazar's ultimatum. While Jlita barraged her with due praise and offerings, Velshia weighed the situation in hand. On the one, Elazar clearly didn't want to be here. Releasing him would be considered a mercy and likely give a positive tick mark in his book with her. A good thing. On the other, Velshia had skimmed his file on all social interactions that did not involve work that lasted longer than five minutes. After she finished, Velshia realized she could have taken a full read of it and only spend an extra five or ten minutes on the matter. It almost reminded her of Angstrom…concerns for another day. The captain was not visibly volatile, Elazar was. Furthermore, she couldn't be guaranteed to see him again over the next couple of days. It would be foolish to waste this opportunity. Cassadrel blesses, she thinks, but it is for me to find use for those blessings.

So, while this was, perhaps, a bit unkind, Velshia was going to drag him into a social life with his crewmates tonight. Whether he, or anyone present besides herself, wanted to or not. Velshia returned his glower with a swift but pinning glance. One that said, quite plainly, that she knew what he intended and was not about to allow that to happen tonight. Velshia was subtle enough to be missed by most but not enough that Elazar would know that she knew he had received it. And if she knew he knew that he knew he couldn't slip off then she'd know he knew that staying would be the only peaceable way to resolve this. Armed with this knowing knowledge, she knew he knew that…this is getting far too circular! She thought. He gets the point! There.

Smoothly transitioning back to verbal conversation, Velshia continued, "excellent and accepted, my strong Jlita. Come, join the feast! I shall have much use of you in my wondrous court. But what, pray tell, have you in tow? I'm not sure if I've seen the like before. My, it is quite the squirmy, shy creature. I marvel that you carried it all this way! Tell me, or have it answer for itself, what is it? Who are you? What do you bring before my most noble court?"

Velshia surveyed the duo up and down with apparent interest. Not least for their dramatic and wondrous costumes but also for their general bearing and demeanor. Combat units didn't often mix with IT during ship. Not unless something went wrong with the software in their systems. And when something did, usually it would be one of Velshia's subordinates who responded. So, finding people who shared in her hobbies provided sudden bridges to get delightful insights on her compatriots who she may not often see. Velshia reflected, with an inward and invisible sigh, that Imperial Agents were never truly off duty. I wonder if that contributes to me being so 'extra' as they say.

unknown.png

The Chosen Hand

"At once, my majestic captain." Harli said, half curtising before heading back to her console. She took over display privileges, the projector soon opening up a large star map. It displayed planets, star systems, and names and info associated with everything. Harli punched in Aiko's coordinates and looked up, expecting one of the planets to become highlighted. Instead, a blinking point lit up just outside any of the known systems. "Captain, the point is lit up. It looks to be outside explored known territory. Telescopic and gravity readings would suggest there is a planetary system surrounding a yellow main sequence star, but no ship has been there yet." Harli turned back to the captain. "Shall we set a course?" Harli was trying, and failing really, to hold back a toothy grin. She could feel the ship's destiny calling. And this was it.

• Useful
Reactions: Pigiron
Trion Nixarn, Head Scientist

trionside-jpg.235738
Trion smiled and nodded to Gabi. He really didn't know what the message said, but it didn't seem to be bad at least. "Alright, we'll get that done, I'm happy to answer questions whenever." He told Gabi before looking over to his people. "Go ahead and find our rooms and get settled in. I'll buzz you if anything exciting happens." His three people nodded and got themselves out of the way, finding rooms, checking on gear, and getting to know Eve. "I'll stay to help if I can." He said to Gabi just before the strange message came in. 'Aurora, pull up any data on that area.' He popped an electronic message to the simple AI that served as a second set of electronic hands in his work. 'Right here. There's not much of it.' It replied after a moment. Trion had come with a small mountain of digital information about exploration, archeology, and legends that the team had compiled over several years. "I've got data from a set of unmanned probes that went through that region years ago. Like she said, a yellow main sequence star, looks like a gas giant with a bunch of unremarkable moons, a couple of barren rocky planets, and…ah, here we go. Rocky planet in the habitable zone, common nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere full of water vapor, and if these pictures and spectra lines are anything to go by, I'd say…jungle or forest planet." He said, passing data to Eve to display where everyone else could see it. "It looks like the probe didn't pick up any specific anomalies, but there have been ruins found in that general region of space, really old ones, little specific data in the ones that have gotten excavations but…scientific community seems to think it's only a matter of time before someone finds something better preserved. A jungle could hide quite a bit from an unmanned probe." Trion rattled off some of what he knew about archeology in the region. It wasn't a whole lot to go on but he didn't have a whole lot more to go off of, it seemed as good a lead as any. He'd have to get someone to explain who the person giving them the coordinates was. People seemed to think that they might know something, so he wasn't going to argue with anyone about it right now.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Pigiron
the great war
Gabi held her breath as the projector zoomed to the edges of the known territories, hoping against hope that it wouldn't go beyond the boundary…but of course it did. She sighed as the blinking dot halted quite literally in the middle of nowhere. No ship has been there yet, Harli said. Exciting from one point of view, but unbelievably risky from another. She was saved from making a decision about what they should do when Trion began to speak, offering up what information he had about the planet. It wasn't much to go off of, but the fact that he wasn't mentioning inhospitable surface conditions or enormous, dangerous monsters comforted her slightly.

It's more important to follow your instincts. Do what you know is right.

Well, at this point she strongly felt that she should take her personal shuttle and check the planet alone. The crew would be safe - perhaps they could even go to an ally planet with a vast library and conduct research there while she looked for clues. It was the sensible thing to do.

But as she glanced around at her crew, she had a feeling that wouldn't go over too well, given how everyone had reacted to her prior disappearance. She took a deep breath and returned her gaze to the projector. "Well, I suppose we'll find out what it's hiding soon enough," she muttered. She raised her voice. "Ms. Gesmel, set a course for this mystery planet, please," she said and then looked to Perseus, a slight smile on her face. "I think it's time we give the wormhole drive a test run." She walked back to her chair, sat down, and used the built-in panel to activate the shipwide comms, making a brief announcement about their destination and forthcoming wormhole jump.
There's no morning glory. It was war, it wasn't fair. And we will never go back...
Code by Jenamos

IMG_20221220_192758.jpg
Jlita grinned as Velshia welcomed them in. She soon brought Sorrin forward in front of her. The poor pilot was trying to squirm out of his cloak, trying to keep his face from being seen by all the other crew members about. "This be my fine squire and scout. 'Soarin' be his fine title, of the halfling cove he hails from." Jlita explained before plopping Sorrin into a seat, being sure to seat herself between him and the door out. "Though reluctant he may be, I highly vouch for his courage and skill. He may prove his worth if we were ever to march into battle!" She grinned before turning to the bartender. "Your finest ales and cheese platters!...and also can I get a cosmic margarita with steller sugar on the rim?" She dropped her fantasy bravado for her drink order.

Sorrin was sighing as he loosened his hood enough to see he was trapped by Jlita and Velshia. His gaze wandered a bit, trying to avoid looking too many people in the eye. He almost thought about taking to a drink so he can hurry and forget all this. His eyes glanced over to Elazar, the only other in the party to look just as hesitant as he was. "They trap you into this too?" He asked him, certainly looking strange as a huddled cloaked pilot calling to the weaponmaster. "At least they didn't get you all dressed up." Sorrin sighed as he finally took off his cloak, his signature blue hair tuft popping out and unfortunately the fake pointed elf ears also showing. He began to tug on them, but they were firmly stuck. "What the hell did you use to glue these on?" He asked Jlita.

"Industrial glue used on my hoverboard." Jlita smirked at Sorrin's horrified face. "Don't worry, I have the solvent back in my room."

Last edited:

Elazar's hand was on the doorknob when Velshia caught his eye and pinned him with that look. A look he'd become familiar with during their short time together - one that quite plainly read Resistance is futile. He suppressed a groan and skulked over to the table, but not before stopping at the bar and ordering himself another bourbon first. He knew damn well that even if he left she would track him down with ease and find some clever way to ensure his presence. Easier to just stay an hour, give her what she wanted, and find an escape as soon as possible.

Glass firmly in hand, he slid into the large booth beside one of the two he didn't recognize and across from Velshia. He scowled at her as if to say Happy now? and glanced at the young man next to him. Poor kid had elf ears on and looked none too thrilled about it. "Trapped is…accurate," he muttered. He took a sip of his drink, relishing the burn it caused, and rolled his neck. It cracked loudly as a result, but it did the sorely-needed job of releasing a bit of tension. An awkward social interaction was at the very bottom of his list of priorities. In fact, it wasn't even on the list. It belonged in a corner of the deep, dusty basement he was sure this establishment had.

And it seems such a waste of time // If that's what it's all about

"I think it's time we give the wormhole drive a test run."

Perseus broke into a grin, "I thought you'd never ask!" Perseus paused, still grinning, and saluted happily- "I mean- Yes, captain!" before turning to his bridge console. Perseus sat down and strapped in, as holograms unfolded like flowering plants in front of him. The Chief Engineer began to activate the various ship-wide processes necessary for a proper liftoff. The docking clamps disengaged at the helmsman's willing, the ship moving with the pilot's will, enormous thrusters rumbling into life. All the while, Perseus watched like a hawk for any incongruity:
A full status package was prepped in moments and collapsed into a ball of orange light hovering above his console. Perseus took it with his hand and tossed it over to Harli, a representation of the actual data sent to her console. "Harli, there's the debrief for the port master."
Perseus scrolled through readings from the main reactor;
MAIN REACTOR NOMINAL, CURRENT OUTPUT 30%
the display showed a holographic representation; the shielding was in good nick, and the plasma ring created and contained in the fusion reactor was purring like a kitten.
Main thrusters - NOMINAL - Thrusters 1-6 reporting all green.
Manoeuvre thrusters - NOMINAL - Thrusters 1-38 reporting all green.

The docking clamps disengaging caused a slight jolt through the ship as the thrusters across the underside of the ship blazed to life. Everyone across the ship felt the slight kerclunk as the Cotopaxi rose from its cradle under its own power. A thrill went up Perseus' spine as he spoke, voice thick with pride and joy.
"We have lift-off. All systems nominal. Proceeding to exit the Zharian under-city." Then he added, in his now seldom-used Lustrian; "You go with a legion of prayers and an army of dreams. Climb and keep climbing, Cotopaxi."
as the ship rose, the steam and smoke of the molten Zharian underworld was swept up, but as the Cotopaxi soared, people across the hidden city came out to see the New Resistance's departure.
Perseus opened the department channel to his engineering team and spoke as he worked with the holographic projections above the console.
"Engineer Mangrove, anything to report since the last check on the wormhole conduction array? No? Great. We're going to be using it after we reach MSD from the Zharian surface. Put up a T-minus onto public viewboards."
A small buzzing chime rung out across the ship on the main announcement system tannoy, and a confident female voice, Engineer Mangrove, accounced out "Wormhole jump in tee minus three minutes twenty seconds. Secure all equipment. Seal all exterior ports."
A couple of the displays on the bridge flickered and were filled with an alert:

ALERT:
WORMHOLE CONDUCTION IN:
T-3 MINUTES 12 SECONDS
SECURE ALL EQUIPMENT
SEAL ALL EXTERNAL PORTS.
PREPARE FOR JUMP.

Perseus swept an eye and hand across reports that required his direct intervention. They came in thick and fast, but the work his people were doing was good. It was all going according to plan.
"Eve, could you take a record and report on the ship's conduct during the jump, please."
AFFIRMATIVE flashed up on Perseus' display.
Perseus began to announce to those stood nearby; "Alright folks, this isn't going to be as bad as the Paxi's previous jump, but proper safety precautions should be followed for wormhole jumps nonetheless. Everyone get to your posts and strap in."

The Cotopaxi burst upwards through what appeared to be solid ground as it passed out of the holographic island that hid the entrance into the Zharian underworld. The crew on the bridge went from being lit by dark recessed lights in the bridge to being dazzled by the glorious Zharian blue sky, rendered in the large viewscreens on all sides. Birds followed and flanked the ship, following the ship's trajectory up, up and away, falling behind as the ship passed through white fluffy clouds and the view went from blue to black outside.
Stars lit the sky, the corona of the nearest star lending a yellow-orange hue to the view.

"Minimum safe distance, and wormhole conduction in Five.... Four... Three..."
As the Wormhole Conductor thrummed it's bassy hum throughout the metal bones of the Cotopaxi, it was all Perseus could do not to bite his lip. The jump was going to be far, which from a physics perspective shouldn't actually mean anything, but...
We're going to be a long way from home. A very long way from home.

The Wormhole yawned, a spherical hole in spacetime. spherical. Like a miniature black hole, visible only by the stretched light that was drawn into it.
And the Cotopaxi dived into it without a second thought.
Everyone on the ship would feel it. It was like being stretched in a direction other than the up, down, front, back, left or right you were used to. you were climbing in a direction that your mind couldn't comprehend. In short, the world went.... Squiggly.
And then you were back, pulled through a higher dimension by poorly understood forces barely within your control, safe, in the dimensions you called home.
Except... The viewscreen showed a great blue-white star.
The sensors showed a new system, barely explored by... anyone.
And just like that, we're not in kansas any more.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome.... To the Farsin system."

Mama, if that's movin' up then I'm movin' out.

Last edited:
24 Hours Earlier

As quietly as possible, Gabi vacated the seat by the Zharian's bedside and closed the privacy curtain around the area. He'd drifted off courtesy of some exquisitely powerful painkillers. His was by far the worst injury that had been sustained. The least serious was perhaps Blaster's - his tail had been burnt when he'd fought the Matron, and now the very end of it was bandaged. It looked ridiculous, yes, but judging from his sulking and complaining to Reginald he was acutely aware of that fact.

"...all I'm sayin' is, doc, if you take the damn wrapping off and let me lick it I'll be good as new! Animals do it in nature all the time!" He spotted Gabi over Reginald's shoulder then. "Captain! Order him to take this stupid thing off!"

Her lips twitched. "Absolutely not," she said, ignoring the stream of swears now issuing from the fox's mouth. She turned her gaze to the good doctor. "Can I speak to you in private for a minute?" she asked quietly.

The man was continually not amused by Blaster's antics but had stone-walled through them until Gabi's arrival. He was grateful for the authority over the lad, even if Blaster wasn't. "Nurse Elkwat," he said, "please finish up here."

The nurse nodded before Dr. Meadows faced Gabi, gave her a quick once over scan for injuries, then nodded himself and led the way to his office. It was a spartan room without decoration. Though the desk and computer terminal were arrayed such that it didn't create a barrier between himself and anyone entering the office when he sat at it. The one odd adornment was an as of yet unused cot along the wall. Prepared in case he had to spend long days and nights in the medical theater. He gestured Gabi to a chair before he took one for himself.

She really should have prepared more for this moment. But then again…she knew him. She knew he did not appreciate someone belaboring the point they wished to make, so she went for the simple, direct approach that he so often employed himself. "I know this is going to sound a little out of left field, but…I'd like you to consider handing over some of your daily responsibilities to the other doctors."

Reginald sighed. He could already guess where this conversation was going to go and, while he could tell she was trying to be blunt, it was still beating too much around the bush. "Gabi, why on earth should I leave my current post and become First Officer?"

He didn't bother to talk about wants and desires. Reginald already didn't want this promotion. But he wasn't shutting Gabi out either.

"Because I need you by my side when difficult decisions arise," she replied quietly. "And if something were to happen to me, I want the ship to pass to someone I trust unreservedly."

"And there's no one else on this ship, a ship whose crew you had a strong hand in choosing, who is better than me at the job of First Officer and who you trust."

"No. The other officers are perfectly competent in their current roles, but…I wouldn't trust them with command. They're either too inexperienced, too quick to anger, or too loose with safety protocols." She paused and looked away. "I want someone who will stay rational in uncertain situations. Someone who can make unbiased decisions for the best of everyone aboard. There may be times when I fail at both." She looked back at him. "I know you don't want it," she said softly. "I promise you I wouldn't be asking if I thought anyone else was right for the job."

Reginald sighed again. He couldn't really argue with that. "Alright, last objection. What does the Council think about a civilian contractor getting a military command?"

Gabi couldn't help herself - she smiled for the first time since the conversation began. "They'll come around, plus they're not here anyway. But…Councilwoman Lashenta was very vocal in her support of you," she said, her tone teasing.

Reginald raised an eyebrow and wondered, Was Takeda not just spit-balling? Then, he shook his head. Neither Takeda Aiko nor potential romance was not the topic of the conversation just yet. First things first. "Fine," he begrudgingly grunted, "I'll take to post. So, captain, is there anything you want to discuss as the first order of business?"

"Thank you," she said, relief evident in her tone. "And - yes. I'm worried about Takeda's presence on the ship." She pulled her glasses onto her face from their resting place atop her head and turned to face the wall, activating the microscopic lens in the frame that functioned as a portable projector. It displayed the security footage wherein Gabi was fighting Blue, but… "I'm uncomfortable with being impersonated, to put it mildly."

Reginald looked at the footage and barely restrained a look of surprise. He decided to take a guess. "Indeed…Eve, analyze footage. Based off this instance alone, who is the woman fighting Blue?"

Eve chirped, "Captain Gabi Burnett. All basic signatures read her. Physical movements and mannerisms approximate the Captain until feed is cut."

"Great…" A frown formed on his face as the footage continued. "Well, it's safe to assume that she can take the form of anyone and everyone on the ship. … Captain, are you familiar with psionics?"

She shook her head. "I can't say I am."

"It's not a well known field. Even in the medical community. I imagine you know of it in the broad sense: the study of the ability to utilize one's minds for extra-normal abilities. Anything from moving things with your mind to reading people's memories to extrasensory perception. Some even claim abilities far deeper and esoteric." He waved his hand as the footage continued as Gabi's voice continued to mutely banter with the warrior. Seeming to be desperately on the defensive.

"But let's not get lost in theory. What is true is that there are psionic individuals across the galaxy. Most sentient species have them, but in incredibly small percentages that, until Imperial unification, it was impossible to nail it down for certain. Although, there is at least one race out there, the Deskasran I believe, who are all psionic." Suddenly, the fake Gabi gave a distinct blowing-kiss-smile to the camera and, in flashes of silver, the view was perfectly blocked.

"I have an inkling that Takeda is a psionic being," Reginald said as the black footage played on, "she knows far too much about anyone she meets. People have come to me with headaches after simply passing her by in the halls. There are spikes in her brain that do who knows what to it.

"Can't confirm it though. She doesn't let anybody close." The visual feed returned. Aiko sat in her miner exosuit that missed both sleeves and helmet. Blue was panting heavily, head whipping this way and that. As if looking for something that had just disappeared. Aiko looked at the camera and licked her lips. "I think she tastes the secrets."

Reginald wondered how long he could keep his own. Not least of how deep his knowledge of psionics went. One of the plague weapons tested was with a psionic. To see if they could control the small organisms to attack specific targets or spare others. The test was largely deemed successful. Subject X9X had been able to control enough of the plague to precisely infect any particular individual in a city of 500,000,000 before they went mad and sought to become the Plague King of the Universe. Fortunately, this was all an electronic simulation and the researchers were kept in ultimately safe locations. As far as he knew, the subject was still studied and kept trapped within the simulation. Playing it out again and again. Seeing how far it could be taken. He knew he might be dooming someone with his next words. Then again, if they couldn't understand Takeda and whatever her aim was, she may just doom the ship anyway, "we're going to need to find someone who can get close to her. From her tech to her body, Takeda is an enigma. One who may just be insane."

Gabi switched the mini projector off and returned her glasses to their previous position, closing her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose between her fingers. If Takeda could "taste" secrets…well, that explained how she'd known about her feelings for Perseus despite never witnessing a single interaction between them. And how in the hells was someone supposed to intentionally become close to her if that was the case?

Eve, unexpectedly, decided to chime in. "Excuse me, but I do not believe that is correct."

"Eve, elaborate, please," she said.

"Of course, captain. Aiko has always displayed a strict adherence to a sense of logic. In my 545 interactions, conversations, with her, she has not once delineated from her 'game.' I have determined that she is being very literal in this and, despite my wish that she cheat, she has strictly adhered to the rules of this 'game.' Though I haven't even begun to really work out what those rules are."

Reginald quietly noted three things: first, that Eve utilized Takeda's first name. A point on which the young woman had been rather stubborn on. Second, was the fact that there had been 545 conversations between the two. How much had Takeda been interacting with the network? And how fast was she thinking? Reginald, with his own implants, could speed up his own thought process marginally. But extended use was severely cautioned. The human brain was, simply put, not meant to be thinking that quickly. It was one of the many reasons why AI were constantly being improved. Lastly, as Eve spoke about Aiko, she almost sounded like a child? He wasn't sure on that but it was strange.

"Based on her behavioral patterns, do you have suggestions as to how someone could befriend her?" Gabi asked Eve. She had a sinking feeling she already knew who the best candidate for this task was, but she desperately wanted to be wrong.

There was a pause and when the AI spoke it, she, sounded…hesitant or even nervous if that was possible. "It would require one to be guileless and open. An individual stable and neither radical or erratic. One who holds no secrets."

She groaned and buried her face in her hands. Dammit. After a beat: "It should be Perseus," she said, her voice muffled by her fingers. She uncovered her face and slumped back in her chair, gazing at the wall. The thought of him being in close contact with an unstable individual whom she poorly understood made her skin crawl, but…"He doesn't have a deceptive bone in his body. He'll want to understand her, and if she tries to make him uncomfortable he'll take it in stride because he's patient and kind and…" she trailed off, realizing she was starting to ramble. She cleared her throat. "Anyway. What do you think?"]

Wondering how many sighs were going to punctuate this meeting, Reginald gave one of his own. "Kid, you sure picked a hell of a time to fall for someone. But if he's all you think or feel he is, then yah. He'll have the best shot."

"Based off psych evaluations, crew histories, and tallying interactions observed, that was my conclusion as well," Eve admitted with a semblance of remorse.

"I am painfully aware," she muttered and then stood. "I'll speak to him about it." Before she left she gave Reginald a brief but strong hug. "Thank you. I'm sure it won't be the last time I say it."

Reginald returned the hug, though still a bit uncomfortable with the display of affection. It reminded him too much of home. "You're welcome. And I had better get to work selecting my replacement for the office. You'll have my recommendation on your terminal within the hour."

The Sleeper

Velshia had one of her signature smiles on her face. The one that was absolutely happy and content with everything so far. Sweeping her gaze across the company, she spared an extra glance towards Elazar to just absolutely assure him that, yes, she was happy. Responding to Jlita, she said, "I have no doubt of it and I look forward to seeing his honor well proven on the field of chivalry."

Spearing a chunk of cheese and taking a sip of wine, Velshia allowed herself to be immersed into her role. Now that she had pinned down the extraneous elements, she could truly relax. Her eyes danced across the table and, smiling, decided that now was the time for a game. A simple game, as a rule, and not absurdly disruptive either. Velshia stretched out with her mind. The pulse of joy around her was stagnated by obvious discomfort and dislike. No surprises there, but broadening beyond, she began to collect the mood of the pub. Everything she did was utterly surface level. Not even coherent thought. Just a general smile or frown or tear. Tear? Why would there be crying in this lovely establishment. Velshia had no idea. Indeed, she didn't even know who exactly was sad out there. Or where within. But, she had her quest for her merry, or not merry, party. "Now hark!" she cried, dramatically opening her eyes, "it has come to me, beyond any shade of doubt, a soul in distress. They are here, yes, here in this very establishment! By truth, this then is the queen's will. Seek out this weeping heart and, if it be in your power, fulfil their need. Through this you shall earn the queen's favor tonight. Use all of your skills in discovering this poor heart! Now go!"

unknown.png

The Chosen Hand

As Gabi gave the command to move out, Harli grinned and quickly jumped back into her chair, patching instructions to all relevant crew as Perseus and other crew members began their own flight preparations. Even as she was opening comms and issuing communications, she grabbed the debrief Perseus threw to her and forwarded the electronic copy to the dock master, her own copy going into a drawer to be filed later. "All personnel aboard, all loose supplies secured down. Docking bay clear for departure." She reported, meanwhile her writing hand was getting a surge of inspiration as the ship began to move out.

"We have lift-off. All systems nominal. Proceeding to exit the Zharian under-city." "You go with a legion of prayers and an army of dreams. Climb and keep climbing, Cotopaxi."

"Oohh, I'm stealing that." Harli flashed a toothy smile to Perseus as she wrote that down word for word. As the ship moved through the undercity and eventually up and into the bright blue Zharian sky, Harli was going through pages of frantic scribbling to try and get her poetic prose out as the vibrant imagery filled the cockpit windows.

"Through bright skies of azure,
A hope rises through the clouds
As does hope through the hearts of the gazers.
Through fire and smoke,
Heroes herald the call..
Birds flap… a din of cheers…
…climb.. Bright future heading.."

It was getting really hard to write everything while also managing the ship's comms, Harli starting to curse that she wasn't part of a species with 4 arms. She soon gave up, her quill and pages spilling off her table as they jumped through the wormhole. It was such a funny feeling, Harli thought she had just reached a tipping point in her fervor for the journey, but soon realized it was just the warp as they pulled out. Harli had regrabbed her quill and ink before she noticed the captain getting up.

Gabi unstrapped herself and eyed the planet warily. It looked relatively innocuous from this distance…but how long would that last? She turned to Harli. "Ms. Gesmel, please run an active scan across the surface. Life forms, structures…anything that might be down there," she said.

"At once, oh graceful captain." She said as she sent the command for a scan. At the same time, she activated a console near Trion in case his team wanted to input their own scan or probe. Onboard sensors orientated towards the planet, sending down various pulses. Radio waves, space-travel sonics, thermal scans, geomapping photo seismics. The bridge projector displays a hologram of the planet that slowly populating with biomes, landmasses, and water as the scans fed into the computers and consolidated their data. "This is the Farsin system. This particular planet is located far enough from the star to have a sustainable atmosphere and life. It's primarily a forest planet." Harli began to point towards some landmasses displaying heavy tree density. "Surface scans are also showing some stone structures, suggesting their may be local fauna capable of structure building. And one more noticeable thing.." Another overlay was added to the planet hologram, a small mist of particles in the atmosphere over part of the forests. "These readings match with engine discharge of a warp-capable ship. It looks like our initial guesses were incorrect, someone did come here." Harli pursed her lips. "The particles are too dispersed though. I think whatever ship came here, came long ago."

unknown.png
"Ahhh, such good sun." The reporter stretched out on her beach chair as she awoke from her sunbathing nap. It had taken some doing, but Cirele had managed to get a super strong lead. A ship like the Cotopaxi would probably have needed repairs and updates after being at a scrap yard, so Cirele began pursuing and calling in all her supply chain contacts. After much sifting, she managed to find a few suspicious shipments. The contents weren't anything crazy or groundbreaking, and there wasn't any way for Cirele to know what parts the Cotopaxi even used. No, what made these supplies suspicious was that there was evidence of someone trying to hide the paper trail. Following it led Cirele to a parts smuggler she had actually worked with before and, with a bunch more drilling, coaxing, and many many promises she would not expose anything about the Resistance itself, Cirele's contact agreed to get her within photo distance of the ship.

And that's how the intrepid reporter ended up on Zhar. Feeling triumphant in landing a basically guaranteed close up of the Cotopaxi, Cirele had decided to reward herself with a quick beach trip before her rendezvous with her contact. Zhar had such nice beaches and resorts, it was hard to imagine an undercity of resistance activity, but Cirele had seen it for herself, usually on business. She sat up on her beach chair and reached into her bag to check her phone and then blinked as she had 39+ notifications and messages. She opened up the chat with her contact and the past 10 messages were all [IT'S TAKING OFF!! IT IS TAKING OFF!! WHERE ARE YOU!?]

Cirele's jaw dropped. She looked at the time stamp. 30 seconds ago. It was taking off now! She grabbed her bag and took off, running to the other end of the beach where she had a jetski rented to get her to the rendezvous. She got on, throttled the engine, and nearly got thrown off as the jetski skirted forward across Zharian ocean. Her destination was an unmarked island off the main coasts, away from the cities and tourist spaces. She had no idea how they were hiding a ship on an island, but right now she was just focusing on not missing her shot-

Then she spotted it. As she started to approach what she assumed was the correct island, a ship burst from it, passing through it like a phantom. No, the island was the phantom. She couldn't mistake that silhouette, she had been staring at photos of it as she had poured through her research. The Cotopaxi! Taking off right in front of her. Cirele let go of the jetski handlebars, the jetski slowing to a stop in the middle of the ocean. She dug into her bag for her camera. Oh shit! There wasn't one! She had been in beach lounge mode all day, her camera stuff was back at her hotel room. The only thing she could grab was her phone, so she had to roll with it. She whipped it out, swiped open the camera, and began snapping away as the Cotopaxi ascended into the atmosphere. The rapid ascension of the ship, the camera trying to autofocus, the roll of the ocean waves rocking her jetski, it was like everything on the planet was trying to keep Cirele from getting the perfect shot. Cirele was sure she looked ridiculous, her legs clutching the jetski underneath her to not get thrown off, both arms in the air, her hands keeping the photo button pressed down as she just rapid shot photos of the shrinking Cotopaxi until it disappeared about the clouds, out of view, and most likely left the planet. Cirele finally let her arms relax as she put her phone away and resumed her journey to her rendezvous. She was going to need to comb through 200 photos later to see if she managed to get anything usable. "Merde.."

~~~

Down in the Zhar undercity, a bar was busy with chatter and excitement, many talking about the leaving of the Cotopaxi, the excitement of it all, many sharing stories of where they were as the saw the ship leave. Sitting at a booth in the back was Cirele, back in her usual coat, armed with cameras, arms crossed as her face twitched as she overheard people talking about how close they were to the ship. Across from her was a much larger species, like a dark purple, bipedal walrus. This was her contact, Bruya, a no-name parts mover and mechanic of the Resistance. And despite his size, almost 8 feet tall, he seemed utterly terrified of the little reporter he was sharing a table with. He jumped as Cirele coughed a bit. "So obviously I must take some of the blame, I guess I shouldn't have celebrated prematurely with a trip to Zhar's glorious beaches.." >SLAM< Cirele hit the table with her fist. "But what the hell!? You told me the ship was another day or two from leaving! They didn't even have a destination, you said!"

Bruya jumped, the large blubbery blob blubbered out a bleary beg. "T-t-t-that's what they told me! I wasn't lying! They said they were still hashing out details on where to head to! S-s-s-something must've happened on the ship! I s-s-s-s-swear!" He gulped as Cirele glared holes into him. Whatever power Cirele had over the big guy, she held it big over him. "G-g-g-give me another chance!"

"Chance!?! Chance at what!? The Cotopaxi is GONE! Which means my story is GONE! If my story is GONE, know what else is gonna be GON-"

"We can find out where it went!" Bruya cried. Then covered his mouth with his large, paw like hands. "O-o-o-oops!"

Cirele raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean you can find out where it went?"

Bruya looked side to side, like a mouse looking for a mousehole to hide from a hungry cat. And the hungry cat was leering very heavily at him. "T-t-t-t-the port master! The port master must have a record! They would've n-n-n-needed to send him a report on where they were going to head to!" He blubbered out. "T-t-t-the top people! They always want to know w-w-w-where the ship is g-going! So they would've needed to submit a report to the port master!" Bruya let it all out quickly before falling back onto the booth seating, panting from the intensity of the discussion.

Cirele sat back as well, thinking on it. A debrief to a port master. That would make sense. Cirele didn't have a full detail on the inner workings of the Resistance, but it would make sense for whatever powers they all answered to would want to know where their big, important ship went. Cirele leaned on the table, looking at Bruya sternly. She stared for about a minute at the bleating walrus before cracking a smile. "There, was that so hard? Just what I wanted. Guess we'll need to go 'borrow' a report now, won't we?"

~*~*~*~

[The Putt-om Line]

Article 214

"Ghost sighted! More Flight, More Mystery?"​

[The article was published along with a photo of the ship flying against clouds. The shaky, blurry quality is on par with Lochness Monster photos.]

After a considerable absence from any eyes, the Cotopaxi appears again! Flying away from [name withheld], the Cotopaxi has been sighted flying well and true once more! This reporter was unable to get a close up shot, but judging from the straight, planetside flight, this 'ghost' is alive and well.

While the destination is unknown, the ship has departed the planet and flown off into the cosmos. This reporter will keep you updated with wherever it resurfaces. But to many, just knowing this ship is out there is sure to fill you with hope or have you quake in your boots in fear.

Unrelated, but does anyone know how to steady a camera while on a small floating vehicle on a turbulent sea?

the great war
Gabi frowned as she looked at the slowly populating map in front of her. She supposed a clear path based on preliminary scans had been far too optimistic of a request. As far as she could tell, the structures displayed were scattered entirely at random and would probably yield nothing of importance, especially if they were being spawned by…well, sentient plants? She was uncertain.

After a few moments, she finally said, "We won't learn anything significant until we send scouting parties down. I think two will be sufficient for now…one scientist, navigator, engineer, and medical officer per party should do, plus two weapons specialists to protect them." Her eyes swept over the bridge and landed on Trion. "Mr. Nixarn, I'd like you to go down with myself, Ms. Gesmel, Prince Dmitri, and Dr. Drayton. Send someone from your team to accompany Blaster, Dr. Meadows, Ms. Kin, Ms. Takeda, and Mr. Galatea." She looked at Perseus. "I'll need an engineer for my team as well."

Perseus paused. He seemed troubled when Gabi arranged the teams, but rallied and nodded; "Engineer Florence Mangrove has experience investigating archeotech, she's one of the finest polymaths we've got, and is capable with a laser rifle to top it off. I can think of no-one better." After a beat, Perseus continued. "I've also made some modifications to my plasma cutter. It'll be useful as a weapon if we get in trouble on the surface. Who's going to have command of team two?"

"Dr. Meadows was promoted to first officer yesterday. He'll have it." She found that she couldn't quite look him in the eye as she said it. It was easier to instead turn to the bridge at large and address the crew. "Shuttles will depart in approximately one hour - at 14:00. If you have been assigned to a team you are dismissed to make preparations." She turned to Ana Kin. "Ms. Kin, please contact hangar personnel and have them ready two shuttles. Eve, please inform any team members not present on the bridge of their new assignment. If they have questions or objections they are welcome to see me."

After a chorus of "Yes, captain" from Ana and Eve, she stood up and made a quick exit from the bridge. Anxiety, guilt, and worry sat heavy on her chest. She'd given everyone an hour to prepare…maybe she'd have enough time to meditate and get a better idea of what they were walking into as well. Maybe, if she could stop picturing the look on Perseus's face.
Code by Jenamos

Oh, dream maker // You heartbreaker

Perseus left without a word. Nodded to Reginald, doing his best to keep the discomfort off his face.
Come on, cutter. Don't throw an axel.
Perseus strode towards the engine room, the familiar route. Hands in pockets, deep in thought, slouching in his new dress uniform. The bridge was left behind in short order. The command hallway was a hive of activity. The AI core and attached offices were particularly busy. There must have been a lot of data coming in from the scans to interpret. Perseus weaved through the infotechs and sysadmins fluttering back and forth.
It's the best tactical decision.
He passed the canteen. off-shift crew sat in groups, trading scuttlebutt. Cracking jokes. One pair leaned against each other, talking. Her hand on his.
She's probably noticed how you've been looking at her every five minutes. She's probably well aware of how you care for her. It makes sense to compartmentalize.
Perseus walked over a catwalk overlooking the main hangar, where one of the Cotopaxi's shuttles was being prepped to ferry the away teams to the planet's surface.
And anyway, it makes no sense to trade up your role. What, were you expecting the first officer post? Was that ever in your mind as something you wanted?
The Lustrian weaved into and through the workshops and drone bays, to a workstation he had taken for himself. It was studiously arranged. A series of hooks held his hardsuit, freshly cleaned and prepped. His tools sat in charging slots on the workbench, charged and ready, next to his backpack.
Hell, would you have accepted, even if she had offered?
Perseus folded and stowed the shoes and outerwear of his dress uniform. He winced as he stretched to pull on the trusty hardsuit, reminded of the formerly cracked rib. Even with the weeks of recovery time and regen work that the good doctor had sorted for him, the light throb reminded him of how fragile he was.
Perseus grumpily finished pulling the suit on. It was just how he remembered, the only difference from his shipcutter days was the New Resistance insignia on the breast.
Right over the heart.

Perseus looked down at it for a moment, before reaching for his helmet.
She's right to not want you as her first officer. Same for not having you on the same away team. You'd just get all puppy dog and act unprofessional.
He slotted his comms chip, access card and biobank iterant out of his wrist comm and into the usual slots in his helmet, fastening it all into place, triple checking the ring seal around his neck.
"So, why are you in this funk?" Perseus uttered suddenly, leaning over onto the workbench.
He stared at the hexagonal backpack on the table in front of him. A ring of six surfaces, twelve slots, twelve multipurpose salvage drones within, along with some general purpose storage space containing miscellaneous tools.
Now's not the time. Just get ready and get your people ready. Clock's ticking.
Perseus pulled on the pack, before gathering up his tools from charging slots in on the bench.
First the recently modified plasma cutter, which now aside from the precision cutting beam now had an overcharge mode that served as a slightly over-engineered short range plasma launcher, albeit more of a shotgun than a pistol. It packed a punch in close quarters, but the plasma only held together for a few metres before dissipating into more of a charged cloud of uncomfortable heat.
Second, the Grav hook, same as it always was. Was a lot more useful in zero G, but might come in handy.

"Engineer Mangrove. Got a job for you. It's important. Are you at the engine room?"
"That's right boss. looking over the readings we got from the Wormductor."
"Great, see you in a minute."

Perseus clomped toward the engine room in the hardsuit, feeling much more himself in the reassuringly heavy gear than when he had been swanning about in the dress uniform.
"Send a voice message to Gabi- ah, Captain Burnett." a chime indicated the message was recording, and Perseus ploughed into the message. "Hey, Captain. I wanted to tell you that you can rely on me not to... You know, act out, planetside. I respect your decision. I get it. Reggie's smart, knows the enemy. Probably more reliable for command stuff. And I'm happy, in the Chief Engie role. I... I get it. I also- look, things have been... Weird, between us, since Zhar, and I wanted to... I wanted to just have some time, after this away mission, if that's ok with you. We can spend some time together, if you want, I can explain why I've been, uh, distracted, when we've been working together. We can set things straight.
Alright, thanks, sorry. See you on the dropship. End message."

Perseus had stopped walking at some point and was just... staring out a public viewport at the penny-sized planet, far off.
Great job, Supernova, that's sure to make things less awkward.
Perseus shook his head a little and strode purposefully into the Engine room.

The Engine room was a well-oiled machine, as usual. Black-and-Orange dressed engineers planned and enacted upkeep operations, checked reports and readouts. One thing Perseus really appreciated was the work uniform for New resistance engineers; it was similar to the uniform in other departments, but picked out in high visibility orange accents in a tasteful way that could have been a fashion statement, whilst also making the engineers all clearly visible on the shop floor.

"Hey boss." came a voice. Perseus turned to spot a cheerful Zharian striding over. Once again the woman wasn't hard to miss. Just over six foot tall and built like the gym rat she was. "Mangrove. I volunteered you for the away team. The captain needed someone that could suss out archeotech, and I know you've got some history in that area." The Zharian's eyes went wide, and she tugged at her black ponytail, tucking and untucking it into her suit like she usually did when she was thinking. "Ah, that was... That was old solar sail ships... The scuttlebutt is that the stuff on the surface is Phoenix... I'm not sure that-" "Mangrove. You're the woman for this job. I've seen you improvising and you make leaps of logic that are truly impressive. you can do this." The woman paused. Tuck, untuck, tuck. She sighed; "You got it, boss." Engineer Mangrove gathered herself up, grinning wryly; "Wouldn't want to make you look bad in front of the captain!" "Thanks. Wait a minute-" But Mangrove was already off, gathering her own tools and hardsuit.

Wherever you're going // I'm going your way

Last edited: