The Night Class

Perry watched as one vampire passed and whispered to Ireland. He didn't hear her words very clearly but he knew he was being referenced and made brief eye contact with her. A subtle warning was all he meant to send, that's all. He relaxed when the newcomer walked on, her arm clearly burnt from the sun (he'd seen that sort of burn before). She was followed soon by Ireland and with both gone he relaxed. He nodded knowingly back at the red-haired young man who acknowledged them. A fellow hunter, and if Perry's mind was still sharp he had been a guest at the banquets before. He watched him for a few moments, trying to remember what he could about the individual. He took his hands from his pockets after this fellow passed on and turned back to Anna and the shy one.
"See?" He positioned his book back between his shoulder and head and pushed his glasses back up to the bridge of his nose. "
exactly as I said, night students... very strange. Best to avoid them." He nodded towards the light of the day student dormitories. "Let's go on then."

OOC: I hope it's okay if I just hop in? I posted a bio on the OOC thread. Let me know if I did it all right. ^^ All these different tags on the RPs confuse me. =D

|+++|

The first day of classes were over. Sasha was glad of it. As fun and as enlighting as it was, there was nothing quite not being done with classes for the day. She was one of the first ones back to the dormitory. Some of the new students had already formed up group of friends, but she was a bit more cautious. She didn't fit in with the old day time students for she knew something extra. But she also felt like she didn't fit in with the hunters. Even though she had grown up with hunters all her life, she had never proved she was one of them.

|+++|

Kevin leaned back in his chair and sipped his coffee, watching a small group of students together. It was mostly a group of day time students, but there were a few of the night class who passed by. It were those girls of the night class that his eyes followed. Who were they? Why were they here? The school had been getting on fine without them, and this was his senior year. Prior to this point, he had known practically everything there was to know about the school and his classes. Now, he felt that that was slipping away from him. There was a mystery here he didn't understand. He hated it. He hated it.

Now that was something interested. Kevin leaned forward to watch. One of the new day time students [Perry] took a step forward, putting himself between the night class student and the others. That was, well, bizarre. It would seem that some of the new day students knew and disliked the new night class. That was something worth investigating.

Eden shivered at the slight tension in the air. Tension was something that she was used to, but usually it was the kind of tension used to tighten leather straps around her ankles and wrists. She allowed herself a small whimper as she looked down at her slightly purple wrists and ran her fingertips over them slowly. Her eyes lifted again to meet the boy Perry's as he was motioning over to the day student dorms. "O-Oh... umm..." She said softly and timidly, "I'm not a day student... I'm a night student." She continued with a bit of blush forming on her pale cheeks.

Char was exhausted after the first day of classes. She wanted nothing more than to head straight to her dorm and catch some Z's. She wasn't the sort who could just spend an entire day with other students and just ignore them, though. She had spent the day observing her classmates, picking out the new students and evaluating the changes in those that she knew. She had wanted to make new friends, but she was still wary of some of her new peers. They seemed perfectly normal outwardly, but she got a vibe from them. It was as if they weren't here to learn, but rather to fight...something. They all seemed rough and quiet, as if hiding something. A few of them had sent a chill down Char's spine when they made eye contact with her throughout the day. She decided to hang back and wait a bit before mingling with any of the new students. First, she wanted to figure out what was up with most of them. Why were they so bizarre?

On her way to her dorm, Char noticed Kevin, a student in the year above her who had been attending Galveton since she arrived her freshman year. She knew him by name only because previously, the school had been so small. She knew very little about him, though, and had never spoken to him before. She knew it was a safe bet to try to strike up a conversation with him, though. She didn't risk speaking with a mercenary. She was sure that was the nature of some of the new students. If it was true, then she didn't even want to know about the night students. If they were allowed to have class with child mercenaries, then she was afraid to guess what sorts they kept separate in the night class.

She took a seat next to Kevin, following his eyes to a group of new students. She furrowed her brow, studying them, then looked back at him. "Have you noticed anything strange about any of the new students?" she asked casually.

Kevin took another sip of his coffee just as someone sat down beside him. It wasn't a conscious gesture, but subconsciously, he found it a good delay tactic. He knew of her in that she wasn't a new student, but more than that they had not interacted much. Only after he set down his cup again did he acknowledge her question. "Other than the fact there's a night class now?" That much should have been obvious even if one was a freshman. "You'd think you could figure out all the school's secrets by now, but they just throw more at you."

He paused. That wasn't actually an answer, but it was how he felt. It wasn't right for them to just start this whole night class business without explaining why. Galveton had been what it was for so long. Why change? "But yes, actually. That guy over there," Kevin pointed at the boy [Perry], "He's either really defensive about those two, or doesn't like that night class girl. Already. Or they knew each other before." Really, the possibilities were endless, but he could not deny there was something happening.

"What do you think?" Kevin turned to Charlotte at that point. She wouldn't ask such a question if she didn't already have opinions, and even if they weren't the best of friends, any pieces to the puzzle would be welcome. "Charlotte, right?"

Char nodded to him when he asked her what her name was. "My friends call me Char," she told him. She then turned back to the guy that he had pointed to. He was one of the students that had made her uneasy. Kevin told her about what had happened when they encountered a night class girl. She thought about it, and one realization had come of her thoughts. She had yet to see a night class student. Shouldn't they be around? Their classes were beginning soon. Shouldn't they have been getting to class? That, to her, was strange. More strange was the fact that she had not seen any of them move in. She had stayed up late on the first night here, but hadn't seen any night students. Besides, even though they were attending the night classes, they should have arrived during the day for formal check in, right? It wasn't as if they were nocturnal or something. They were simply taking their classes at different times. Right? Her mind wandered further and further down the rabbit hole before she snapped herself out of it, finally answering Kevin's first question.

"He's in one of my elective classes," she told Kevin. "I think he's in your year. You're a senior, right?" She didn't wait for him to answer before continuing. She was fairly certain he was a senior, and knew he would have an opportunity to correct her if she had been wrong. "He's kind of...quiet. Like he just sat there the whole time watching everyone with this seriousness. I didn't really talk to him or pay much attention, so he could have been talking to other kids when I wasn't looking, but it was weird. A lot of them are like that. All...serious. It reminds me of what my dad looks like when he takes me hunting. Creepy, if you ask me." She glanced back at Kevin, slouching down and growing comfortable in her chair, waiting to hear what he had to say in response.

Krieg took a long draw from the cigarette before he removed it from his mouth and held it between his index and middle finger. His white fringe lay over his face in casual disarray as his other hand scratched the stubble on his chin. There wasn't anyone around him, as usual. No one liked to be around him. He made people uncomfortable. Maybe it was because he had learnt to project an aura of confidence that made people not want to mess with him. Maybe. But he liked this solitude anyway.

The smoke streamed out of his mouth as he looked around at the students being dismissed. He skipped class, once again. Krieg has been trying to study recently but it was difficult, and he finally decided that he needed a break from class, once in a while. Small baby steps. After all, he could always read up on what he had missed in the textbooks. They weren't that hard to learn from. One thing that worried him ever so slightly was the apparent rise of new .. He didn't know what it was called. People began whispering about new people appearing in the night and .. He didn't like that one bit.

Krieg returned the cigarette to his mouth and took one final draw before he dropped it to the floor and stamped it out.

Ireland nodded, but chose not to answer. She hadn't really come into contact before even they they'd hunted her family. She hated that they were stoppping her from befriending humans and although she didn't say so to Ireland, she wasn't going to let them stop her. She'd loved the idea of meeting humans too much and wasn't going to let go too easily.

"Thanks," Ireland skipped throught the open door and waited for Terry to come through, pulling a sympathetic face. "I hate it when I get sunburnt. Mum always made this cream stuff that kinda helped and wait- here's me babbling on and I haven't even introduced myself yet I'm Ireland."

The coffee was bitter and Jack grimaced as he sipped it. He'd heard Kevin and Char talking and when they'd said how Perry looked like he was hunting and how it was "creepy". Oh how little she knew.
He wondered what her reaction would be if she found out the new night students were vampires and vampire hunters had been sent here to keep an eye on them and a small chuckle escaped his lips: what would her reaction be to find out vampires were actually real, nevermind that they were here?

"Char," Kevin repeated, as if agreeing on a thought. He committed the name to memory. Usually, he could match face and name reliably once he actually met someone.

"Hunting?" he said incredulously. "You go hunting?" He never would have suspected that, but he couldn't say he knew much on the subject. It was a bit of a weird analogy. From here, Kevin couldn't really say it looked like anything. Then again, he didn't exactly have eyes for all the new students in classes. Unless someone approached him, he usually paid attention to himself, the teacher, and his studies. Occassionally, he'd look up for a friend, but they all knew better than to distract him when he didn't want to be. "Yes. I'm a senior, but I couldn't say for him. There's too many new people to remember them all."

But Char's comments weren't just about the student he had pointed out, but about all the new students. And now that he thought back to it, the new students had seemed a little less anxious, a little less worried about fitting in than new students in the past, but he had just chalked that up to individual personality. When he had first come to Galveton, he hadn't been anxious -- not about fitting in, anyways.

"You make it sound like it's a conspiracy," Kevin joked, but deep inside him, he felt it might be possible. Why have a night class? Usually, night classes were for people who had jobs in the day, but wanted an education. Since these new students were boarding here, that clearly wasn't the case. He heard someone add a chuckle behind them, and half turned around. It was someone who he had no name for at all. New then. "My bet is," he hypothesized, but without due seriousness, "that they found a rich new neighborhood to draw students from. They're all from famous Mafia families, and the school agreed to split some of the students into a night class so that their children wouldn't have to interact with other mobster families they didn't like. You know, to keep down the death threats."

She nodded and stepped in. "My mom used to give me something too, but it's not too bad so it'll heal soon." Terry smiled at her as she started walking down the hall to her class. "Anyway, I think we should give the hunters time to get used to us. If we show that we're being pacifists, they'll back off and accept us."

Terry laughed gently. "I'll admit, I'm happy to be coming to the same school as humans." She looked around. "I just hope none of them find out. It would cause a panic if they found out vampires were real and in their school, don't you think?"

"It would, but I'm sure if you know us first and realise we aren't a threat they wouldn't mind," Ireland said entusiastically, "It's not like we actually chose to be vampires."
She followed Terry down the hall, not really knowing where her class but guessing there was a good chance they were in the same class.
"If I had a choice I would prefer to survive by eating chocolate. But I s'pose they don't really think that, they just think we're monsters because of it."
At this she thought of vampire hunters. They were humans who just saw vampires as monsters and never thought that they couldn't help that they had to drink blood to survive. It was like diabetics who needed insulin, really, if they didn't take it they'd die.
"I would just love for vampires to be able to live with humans and be accepted by them. That's kinda why I cam to this school."

It was all Jack could do there and then not to laugh. He tried not to choke on his coffee as he took a slurp. Mafia families?
Oh no, mate, it's worse than that.

Char wanted to laugh at Kevin's theory. It was so...bizarre. Of course, this whole new situation was bizarre. They couldn't rule anything out. It wasn't as if it mattered to them whether or not some kids were taking classes at night. She could see that it was puzzling Kevin, but she was beginning to realize that it didn't matter to her. So there were some new kids. Perhaps the school just wanted more money, but couldn't fit everyone into day classes. That would explain why everyone in the night classes was new. Galveton knew that its returning students would be up in arms if they were forced to be nocturnal just so the school could make an extra buck. That didn't explain the strange aura that every new day student seemed to be putting off, though. They were eerie. She decided right then, though, to just ignore all of them. She didn't need to be worrying herself over conspiracy theories. As she thought of all of this, she heard another student nearby chuckle a second time, just on cue with their conversation. She narrowed her eyes at him. He was a new student, she could tell that much.

"You know what I really can't stand?" she said irritably, turning back to Kevin. "Eavesdroppers." She turned back to the boy who had been listening to their conversation. "You got any better theories or do you just wanna sit in your corner and scoff at the students who actually know this place well enough to help new students like you? I promise, you won't be making any friends that way." As she spoke, she furrowed her brow. She waited for an answer to come, sure he would say something high and mighty like 'Oh, I don't need friends.' She was certain that he just thought himself so clever. Galveton didn't work that way, though. If you didn't need friends, you at least needed allies. The students here could be ruthless. What more could one expect from a prep school?

Terry smiled. "That's all very true. Still, I'd rather stay away from the humans, for a while at least." She looked up thoughtfully. "Some of the human boys are cute though, so maybe I won't stay away for too long," she joked, laughing a little. She held her hand out, "Anyway, sorry for being rude Ireland, my name is Terry! What say you we show the hunters that there's nothing to be afraid of?"

She walked into a classroom and looked back at her. "This is the Advanced Trigonometry class, are you coming here too?" she asked. She knew there were hardly any other options for math classes, so it was probable that Ireland had that class too. Though, she could always have a Literature or History class.

"I'm not a day student... I'm a night student." Eden said and blushed. Perry raised his brow a bit. That didn't make sense. Vampires, they had this way about them but he had not gotten that sense from her. He frowned and glanced her over quickly. He searched for the tell-tale burns but saw nothing other than violet bruises on her wrists. He contemplated this for a moment. Maybe keeping things in check here will be even harder than I originally thought.
"I see." He answered. "Well then, I suppose this is where we part ways. Are you coming, Anna?" He looked to the small brunette and indicated the dorms with his shoulder.
He hoped once everyone got back to the day dorms he'd be able to convene, in particular with the red-haired hunter he'd seen earlier. He certainly didn't consider himself paranoid but he couldn't help but think that something more was brewing than he had originally thought. He looked up and noticed more and more stars peaking out of the ever-darkening sky. He placed a cautious hand on the small of Anna's back as they walked across the squad towards the waiting lights of the dorms.

((Dang, you leave a day and all this happens x_x))

Anna had continued to follow Perry, being quite silent. Once snapped out of her daydream from looking at the sky, thinking about drawings, she looked up to Perry. "Oh! Yes!"

"Yep and even though he's a hunter I'd say that Perry guy's quite cute too," Ireland grinned and winked. She grasped Terry's hand and grinned even wider, "Nice to meet you Terry! And aye, captain, I'd say that we should do that indeedy."
Ireland laughed at her own silliness, she was so excited to be here that she couldn't help acting like an idiot.
She looked at her timetable and nodded.
" Uh-huh, Advanced Trigonometry and then Medieval History next." She pulled a face, "Medieval History, I'd better be good at that, or I'm a sad excuse of a vampire."
She followed Terry into the class and looked around.
"You want to sit together near the back?"

"No, no, I'm sorry, I just couldn't help but overhear," he held his hands up as though in surrender and smiled foolishly.
Jack studied the girl and was surprised that someone so frail looking bit that hard with their remarks.
He didn't bite back at her. He wanted to gain the other students trust and have them like him so that he could slowly turn them against the night time students.
"They're not in the mafia and it sounded so...bizarre, that's why I laughed at your friend here" he said, smiling at Kevin, "But they're not a good lot."
His tone was serious now and he looked at them earnestly as he spoke,
"They aren't mafia but they don't mind giving out death threats and most people who get involved with them, well, there's been accidents and stuff. That's why they've been sent here, because no other school would ever think about having them."
This was partly true, or so Jack believed. Most people who did get involved with vampires died but most of these people were the ones who hunted them. And it was partly true that no other schools would let the vampires enroll- if they knew that they were vampires, anyway.

Back at the dorms day students were milling around, talking and laughing and gossiping. Perry realized he'd forgotten to go to the library before they went inside. He must've been too caught up in his own ponderings to think of it. He scratched the back of the neck of his sweater and sat down in one of the sofa chairs in the commons. He set his bag down beside him and tossed his book on the table. He glanced over the rims of his glasses at Anna, indicating noncommittally that she was welcome to join if she liked.

Returning to his own things he dug out his phone and glanced over his missed calls. There were a few from his parents but he didn't dare return their call in a public area with all the noise they made in even the most mundane of conversations. Everything done by the Samhanes was done with vigor. As a family their vampire hunting legacy reached all the way back into the days of wooden stakes and crucifixes and garlic cloves. Their cult fame had to come partially from the family history and partially from the sheer enthusiasm with which they continued the legacy. Perry remembered well the banquets and such, his relatives and their friends sloshing the red wine in their glasses and boisterously rehashing the story of the last coven they'd driven out.

Perry pushed the phone back into his pocket. And got up to look over the rows of old school photobooks. He took one and brushed the spine to be sure it was clear of dust. He returned to the chair and opened it wide, searching for something out of the ordinary that might explain why such a prestigious school would do something so risky as to bring in a class of vampires. He squinted through the glasses, eyes clawing up and down every page for some hint.

Kevin was taken aback by Char's biting remarks toward the new student. Personally, he would've welcomed any extra theories, eavesdropper or not. Besides, he had probably heard more than his fair share of "private" conversations just by sitting in class.

The new student, however, seemed to just take it in stride, and, if anything, ignored it. Instead, the boy shot down the mafia conspiracy theory, but didn't give a counter theory. The seriousness with which he spoke left an impression on Kevin, but it didn't quite make sense.

"So it sounds like you do know them, then? Or of them. And if not mafia, then what?" Perhaps the thing that bothered Kevin the most was that the new student spoke in mysteries. Shot down some theories as if he knew what was going on, but wasn't willing to share the real story. It reminded him of some teachers who would use the same tactic. They would fish for answers, and shoot down wrong ones, but would never give the right answer. But in situations like that, he knew the answer. Here, he didn't.

"And why would you know about them?" He hadn't meant the question to sound accusatory, but here was this stranger telling him he was wrong without giving any indication that he actually knew what he was talking about.

|+++|

More and more people poured into the dorm, and Sasha watched them, but most entered in twos or threes if not more. It made it hard to approach anyone. Perhaps she should have milled around after classes. It seemed like that was the popular thing to do. She recognized a couple of faces from classes and maybe even a few hunter faces, but she wasn't sure. It also didn't look like anyone was like her, waiting for someone to befriend.

This wasn't like her at all. Usually, she struck up conversation with the first person around her. Then again, this was the first time she was in a situation where _she_ was new, and she wasn't with her older sister or brother. She gritted her teeth. She was on her own. She wasn't used to it, but she would get through. For a moment, she closed her eyes and breathed deeply. Then, she opened them again. Outside! Outside would be the perfect place. Maybe there would be other lonely students out there. Or maybe someone would be playing some sort of game she could join.

Sasha smiled and all but bounced out the door and back onto the school grounds. She rounded a corner and saw someone [Krieg] there, stamping out a smoke. He didn't look all that friendly. Half of her wanted to turn back and find somewhere else to go, but another part of her told her would be best to say something. What was the worst that could happen? He ignored her? But she would have spoken to someone, and that was better than nothing. It wasn't like her reputation was on the line, and even if it were, there was no one else around to see. Plus, if all fell through she could just wander back to the dorm, and it would be less awkward to join a conversation if she had just came from outside, right?

"Those aren't good for your health, you know?" Sasha ventured.

Jack struggled for an answer. He couldn't outright tell this guy that they were vampires but he had to say something to him. The boy was growing suspicious- he had every right to- but what to say?!
"I do know of them," he finally said, "like I said before they're people worse than the mafia. I don't know an awful lot about who they are" - yes you do, they're blood-sucking monsters- "But I know what they're like. They're a kind of..organisation who accepts only certain people-" vampires "And will readily kill anyone else."
My father.
Jack didn't know what else to say to the boy and his friend. He just hoped they wouldn't ask any more questions. He hadn't thought this through before he decided to listen and then join in with the conversation.
Hell, I'm only here to kill the leeches.

Krieg was pondering upon whether to smoke a second one, since his first was spent and already snuffed out on the ground in front of him. The packet of cigarettes were already in his hand and it was open, one already jutting out from it. After a moment of deliberation he pushed the cigarette back into the packet with his thumb and stuffed it into his pocket. Nope, he was trying to quit, after all. The cigarettes proved to be bad for his lungs. His stamina had fallen greatly ever since he picked up smoking and he was quite pleased to know that he was restricting himself to one per day, before he cut himself off from them completely. He'd have more money for other things, too. Cigarettes weren't exactly cheap to come by, and he wasn't one for stealing.

A look of annoyance flashed over Krieg's face when he heard the voice commenting that the cigarettes were not healthy for him. One reason why Krieg fought so much was because he hated being told what to do. Krieg turned to look at the girl that had spoken to him and he replied to her, rather gruffly, "I am aware, but I do not care." He raised an eyebrow at the girl, not mentioning the fact that he did care and that he was trying to quit.