The Night Class

With a squint and a sigh Lenore put her book back in her bag and took out her math book. She slowly opened it to page ten, constantly glancing up at the back of the teacher's head. Her mind was racing as she absently let her eyes slide over the problems on the page. Why would the school do such a rash thing to them? Were they just looking for reasons cause problems? It was just so hard for her to believe that having a hunter as a teacher was a well intentioned move on the school's part. Were they all being led into the slaughter? She squinted and blinked a few times, trying to focus on the book, then up on the board. "I should just leave or something. I should go home. I don't want to be here." She thought as her eyes darted from the teacher to the board to the teacher again. It was tense in the classroom, tense and cold.

"More likely we'll just eat him in his sleep," Ireland hissed sarcatically as he threatened them. Her anger had gotten the better of her- she was even surprised at herself: she'd never been this angry before and even if she had she'd never shown it so openly.
Her anger deflated a little and her shoulders hunched ever so slightly.
Better just do as he says, she thought, frowning. her eyes grazed the problems on the page and frustration started to well up. Normally she'd whiz through these but she couldn't concentrate. Not with him there.
Why him?
She looked back at Terry and saw how she was obviously angry and Ireland felt a little comfort that she wasn't alone in this.
"What do you say about an attack plan?" she said jokingly, trying to cheer her up, even just a little.

Terry smiled a little and turned to Ireland. "That would be fun," she replied, laughing a little. "I could go for some hunter blood." Terry opened up her math book and looked at the notes the teacher was writing on the board. "Gosh, I hope not all our teachers are hunters..." she said quietly, writing down the notes. "You have to give this guy some props though. Coming into a room full of vampires and acting so boldly... Plus, he seems pretty smart."

"He probably doesn't think we'd be much of a fight against him," Ireland looked around at the rest of the class, "I mean, look, most look terrified that we have a vampire hunter as a teacher and the rest are too angry to be of any real help. They'd just attack without any thought and he'd have no trouble getting rid of us."
She sighed- she didn't know why, she just thought that sighing might make her feel better. It did. A little. After so many years she had finally- finally!- had the chance to live with humans and now she wasn't so sure.
She studied the teacher again and the moss green of her eyes sharpened as a thought struck her.
Maybe he's just as terrified as some of us.
It seemed a ridiculous idea, after all most hunters hated vampires and let their hate be known but being in a room full of vampires who hated or were scared of him in turn was putting him on edge and he was being the 'big bad hunter' because he didn't want to let them know he was terrified.
Ireland shook her head slowly.
No, I'm, probably just thinking too much into it.

Sasha smiled when he replied with his name, but it faltered slightly when he took her hand. It was undeniably a hand, but it was, well, beyond what she would ordinarily call 'rough.' Still, she didn't let go any sooner than she might otherwise have, and at least he didn't seem to be in a 'beat up people' mood as far as she could tell, but why anyone would ever want to was beyond her. Her family had always been of the opinion that hunting was a necessity, and that violence was necessary to keep the peace. Sasha had a feeling her family would have nothing to do with violence if it weren't for vampires. And yet, here was this boy who wanted to beat people up. Sometimes. If she understood him correctly.

"Don't get it," she said, half to herself and half to Krieg even though she had already turned again to head back to the dorm. She had had the courage to talk to this guy, and there had to be nicer people back at the dorm. "Why beat people up in the first place?"

|+++|

Kyle opened his eyes and stared at the ceiling. First day of school. Whoopee. There was no one else in the dorm room when he woke up. He checked the time. Late for the first day of school. Whoopee. He could give a rat's ass about it, but he had made a promise. Figure out what the game was here, and if it was some be-friends-with-humans bullshit, take it down. He had come up with lots of schemes to threaten the peace. There was the play nice with humans, and suddenly go crazy and bite everyone plan. Then there was the discretely sow suspicion by quietly killing day students in their sleep... He had a lot of time to come up with everything after his "forced" departure from the Ryker Coven. Why did he have to be the right age?

Oh, right. Class. Kyle dressed himself in jeans and a T-shirt, clothing he would never have touched out of his own accord, but he needed to blend in. At least for a while. He grabbed the stack of books he had been told he would need (although, he didn't think he would ever open one) and shoved them in his backpack. He checked the time again. Five minutes late so far, and it would probably take another two minutes to get to class if he ran. Run? No way. He added another 3 minutes to the clock. 10 minutes late seemed pretty decent for the first day of class. He was a vampire, after all; he had all the time in the world.

The halls were mostly deserted when he walked down them. A couple of day students were still around, but all the night students were presumably all in class already. He checked his schedule. Trigonometry. Kyle rolled his eyes at the thought of it. Maybe it would be better than he thought it would be. No. No way. Finally, he found the classroom and pushed the door open. And just from that, Kyle could sense their teacher's hate of them even as he wrote up useless equations on the board. Kyle sat himself in the closest free seat to the door and didn't even bother to get out his textbook or a notebook (well, he hadn't even brought a notebook so he couldn't take one out even if he wanted to). The sooner he could get out of here, the better.

Terry nodded in agreement, glancing towards the door as another student walked in. "Uh oh... This ought to be entertaining," she joked quietly. She turned to Ireland. "I wonder how mad the teacher will get. He looks like he hates us enough already without us having done anything, now look, that guy came in late."

Terry looked back to the board, waiting for a reaction. "Anyway," she said, thinking of something Ireland said before. "We obviously aren't too much of a match for him. Like you said, half of us are horrified, the other half is pissed. This guy's no pushover though, he looks like a seasoned hunter. Can probably take us down without any weapons..." Terry said, muttering the last part.

Even though he came in somewhat quietly, Michael felt the late student come into the classroom. He stopped the lesson and turned around. "You," he said, motioning to Kyle. "What's your name and why are you late?" he asked. His voice was firm and he had a fpstern expression on his face. "You're lucky it's the first day of classes. No more coming in late though, got that. I'm not one to give out detention," he said in a quieter voice, stepping towards Kyle's desk.

For a second, Kyle thought that the teacher would just keep going with class without paying any attention to him, but he was wrong. Almost as soon as he had decided to sit back in his chair to decide whether or not he ought to try to pay attention, the teacher had spun around and started questioning him. Kyle leaned back as if trying to further get away from the teacher's gaze. Perhaps picking the closest remaining seat to the door was not a good idea. "Kyle Ryker," he said, relaxing a bit after his initial reaction. His words were in the same serious tone the teacher addressed him in. "Was asleep." Though his words were flippant, his voice was not. They had given them a hunter for a teacher, or at least, that was his gut reaction, and his gut wasn't usually wrong about this sort of business. They expected trouble, and this teacher, at least, seemed to be asking for it.

Lenore stared hard at the guy who had walked in late. Why was he speaking back to the teacher that way? Perhaps he didn't know what the teacher was. Perhaps he had a serious death wish. Either way it was causing her to seriously question this late boy's sanity. She squinted as he said his name and made a note to remember it. Anxious, she wanted to speak up and say something, but what was there to say? Her stare now slowly slid over to the hunter...er...teacher. He made a comment about not giving out detentions as punishment and Lenore clenched her jaw tight. She made another mental note never to be late to class ever, even if she was mortally wounded. Once again her eyes hit Kyle and she wished he could hear her thoughts. "Just let it go, sit through the class and leave."

Krieg had grinned when he saw Sasha's smile fade away upon feeling the scars that lined his hand. Even though the scars made his hands look not only really ugly but it also made it impossible for him to take any biometrics (not like he would ever need them), Krieg was proud of them. It wasn't an ego-boosting thing, but it did show where he went and what he had gone through to get to where he was - The Delinquent King of the streets. By far he had held the position for the longest, the previous few having been beaten away from their positions and overthrown after a few weeks but Krieg had managed to defend himself. Sometimes he had to run, when facing overwhelming odds but he always made sure he got his own revenge on them, one by one as he hunted each of them down. Now, no one dared to dispute his claim as the King on the streets.

The delinquent was looking at Sasha even as she walked away, having only nodded as she turned around to leave. Although Krieg knew that Sasha's words were half directed to him and half directed to herself, Krieg still saw the need to reply - He hated it when people had a wrong impression of him, that he was just a bloodthirsty person that fought for the thrill.

"Because the streets are where I belong. First I beat people up because I feared them; now I do so to protect the place where I belong. The place I won't allow anyone to violate."

"I hate people like him," Ireland said sadly, "they don't even know us yet they judge us because of what we are."
Ireland was about to respond to Terry's last remark about the weopans when the door swung open and another vampire entered. As he sat down nearest the door Ireland's eyes turned to the teacher.
The 'I don't give out dententions' line made anger swell up again. Ireland hated him for how he acted towards them and she hated how he made her so angry- she hated being angry.
For a minute she felt like standing up and screaming at this complete and utter ass but she swallowed it away.
She was glad the boy hadn't made any sarcastic response or any other remark that would seriously annoy the teacher.
"At least he hasn't provoked him to be even more of an ass," Ireland muttered to Terry, eyes still fixed on their hunter-teacher.

Terry nodded in agreement, narrowing her eyes. "I don't know though... People become hunters for a reason. It's probable that a bad vampire is behind his actions," she said quietly. "We all know there are vampires like that... The ones who aren't nice or good, the ones who don't think twice..." Terry shook her head a little and looked down at her book. "Anyway, like I said earlier, let's show him that we're the good ones."

She could tell that Ireland was becoming angrier and angrier. Even her voice had taken on a darker tone. Terry looked down at their teacher, willing him to just start teaching. She was sure Ireland wouldn't attack him or anything but still... Who knew who else this man was provoking.

Michael nodded. "Alright, try to wake up on time tomorrow," he said, turning back to the board. "And bring your supplies." Michael yawned a little as he went on with writing notes and equations on the board. He had slept all day, well, tried to at least, but he still couldn't help being tired. It was just instinct, he guessed. He turned to the students for a moment, all wide awake. He should try not to show his tiredness in front of them.

"Alright, anyone want to volunteer to come up and do some example problems?" he asked, turning to them.

Anna decided it was getting a bit late. "Hey...I have to go now, pretty tired...hope you find what you're looking for!"

She smiled to her new buddy and put the book away before leaving the library. Looking around, she blinked seeing that it was already nighttime.

"Pfft...getting late...it is late!" she said to herself with a bit of a chuckle. But looking out at the sky, she felt happy to see all the stars out. She sighed softly and continued to...nightdream, losing track of what she was going to do.

"We shouldn't have to show him," Ireland murmured, huffing in relief as the teacher let the boy's lateness slip aside. She had started to realise that living with humans wasn't going to be all happy la la land and that she would encounter some such as the teacher. But she wouldn't let them ruin it for her.
She smiled at Terry suddenly,
"At least they're not all like him," she said, "and I'm not going to let them ruin this for me. I won't cause any trouble for him- Im not like that- but he's not going to stop me from doing what I came here to do. Study humans."
She sounded almost reckless saying it but she didn't care, she would speak her mind no matter what.

When the day arrives A young, pale skinned, white haired boy, with big captivating grey eyes, and an absolutely adorable, innocent face darts from hall too hall. The sleeves of his sweatshirt dangle behind him, flapping in the wind, his face lit up from the sense of a daytime safari. The hood barely staying on, his silver necklace bobs of his exposed colarbone. He dives into the bushes, army crawling too the Day class's window, slow poking his head peeking into the glass. His mouth a small childish 'o' as he happily swings his feet watching the humans that fascinate him.

Anna was in the class that the boy was peering in from. She didn't seem to be paying attention to neither him or the class and was drawing in her sketchbook absentmindedly. In this particular subject (Math), it was hard to pay attention without passing out asleep. Anna at least made an attempt to glance up at the board every so often so that in case the teacher could call on her, she can answer and make it seem like she was paying attention.

The boy see's a girl drawing, curiosity strikes him like a bus. His eyes glow and he silently opens the window, noise does not exist as he crawls in, under desk too desk. making it too the one behind the girl. he watches her draw. His eyes dull out and it seems no one remembers leaving the window open.

Anna continued drawing. A cool breeze blew in near Anna and she smiled a little bit.

Heh...That feels good.~ ...But...when did the window open? she thought to herself as she took a glance towards the window. Her eye caught on the boy and she gave a courteous smile before looking back at the board.

The Boy's eyes glow, his hair slightly lifting, Anna's pencil writes on the corner of her note book. "Whatcha drawin?" "i can draw too!! Watch." The pencil begins to sketch a picture of himself" his face looks sad

Anna looked to her extra pencil and jolted a bit. "H-Huh?!" she whimpered softly so that class wouldn't be disturbed. She watched as the pencil wrote the letters and drew the picture. "Oh...?"

She wrote on the side of the notebook, under the message the boy had written, and began to write back.

That's a good drawing...But...How are you doing that?

The pencil floats to your hand, it starts to move your palm with it. "Im gifted says my mother and father, im cursed says the mouse that lives in my pocket, im unnoticed by the others in the nightclass. i can do this when i make my eyes bright" at the top of the finished picture it says "But too me im Friendless" "No offence too my mouse Hero"