The Night Class

Anna was silent the whole walk. She didn't really know what to say, but oh how curious she was of Perry. He was quiet as well, and it made her wonder what he was thinking about.

"Well, we're at the dorm..." Anna said softly. She looked back to Perry and saw he was walking away. She made a questioning sound and blinked. Once Perry looked back at her, she stepped forward a bit. "Hm?" And from then on, she followed Perry to the library.

Sitting down in a chair next to Perry, Anna looked on curiously. "Hm...Is..that a photo book?" she asked curiously.

Terry nodded and motioned towards the back of the classroom. "Let's go then," she said, smiling. She started walking over to the seats in the back.

She turned back to smile at Ireland. "Medieval History, huh?" Terry laughed gently, "Gosh, I'm glad I didn't get that class," she said, "I don't know jack-squat about medieval times. I'm more about the 1900s." Terry laughed again, "Then again, I didn't pay too much attention to events back then, mainly just the wars and stuff."

"O-Oh, alright then!" Eden said, pulling her bottom lip into her mouth and biting it gently as she watched Perry look her up and down. What did he think she was? Some monster? She felt herself cringe a bit... maybe he thought she was like the rest of the night students. As he walked away, she held onto her wrists and looked down at her feet. The other night students didn't seem entirely... normal, from what she'd seen. Their skin was terribly pale and was occasionally tainted by a sunburn. Eden ran her hands up her arms and sighed softly. She began walking up the rest of the stairs and entered the school, then stepped further into the hallway. She placed her hands on the straps of her bag, then slid them up to just below her shoulders and stared down the hallway.

He responded! Sasha couldn't help but rejoice a little. Granted, his reply wasn't entirely friendly, and he was the sort her older sister would warn her against. There were bad folk in the world other than vampires. Some of them find death through other means. The goal of a hunter was to prevent death, protect the innocent, and yet here was someone who would just squander his life away. Silently, she wondered what a world might look like if they fed the 'bad folk' to the vampires. Would the vampires keep their peace? No, it felt wrong. They were still human after all.

"You don't care," Sasha repeated in a way suggesting she didn't believe them, "about your life. Why don't you just kill yourself then. Wouldn't that save you a lot of trouble?" She didn't particularly like the topic of death (or vampires for that matter), but here was someone who didn't care. He was, well, interesting. She had never met someone who just didn't care.

"Yeah." Perry replied to her and he flipped through the pages. "I'm just curious, I guess. I'm trying to figure out why they might've started up the night classes here." He picked up a second one and handed it to her. "Here. You look too."

I still straddled the path from the school to the dorms, a few people he recognized from the Day Class still wondered too. The place was huge. People in the Night Class were already making their way to school and they all looked a little.... Different from the day students. I couldn't quite figure it all out, but had to be some reason they were in the Night Class. He pondered the question a few moments longer then cleared his mind. I guess this isn't so bad... I start humming and singing quietly to myself.

"Oh? All right then," Anna nodded and took the book. She opened it and flipped through the pages. It had to have been one about 2 years before she had been a freshman at the school. She saw juniors as freshman and Seniors as sophomores. "Perry, could you be in this one?" She asked.

The delinquent had looked away, one of the trees having seemed more interesting than what the girl was talking about. He was getting pretty into observing the pair of birds on the tree before the girl spoke again and Krieg rolled his eyes to the heavens, letting out a loud sigh of exasperation at her. Why doesn't he kill himself? Isn't the answer fucking obvious? Because no one, in the right mind wants to die? Apparently, Krieg had to spell it out to this woman who was talking to him.

"Because dyin's fuckin' boring, isn't it?" Krieg spat the words out not as a question, but instead just a statement. "It's not like I want to live too long - Smoking ends my life early, easy as that. Fuck."

Perry shook his head. "No. I only just transferred here." He glanced over the pages. "I do recognize a few people from my classes, though." He wondered silently how much they knew about the night classes, whether they were just as in the dark as the few people he had talked to. "Anna, do you know when they began building the night dorms?"

Anna nodded. "Oh yeah, ok." she continued to look through the pages as well, and she could see resemblances in the students from then and from now. Once addressed again, she looked up to Perry. "Hm? Well, some people say that its for people whom are...doing stuff in the day? And they need the night classes so that they continue what they do in the day? Whatever they do then is most likely important," Anna said with a clueless look. "Of course, their just rumors."

Lenore burst out of her room and bolted down the hall towards where night classes were being held. What if she was late on her first day? What if everyone looked at her as the girl who was late? Her feet pounded the floors and her arms swung by her sides as she sprinted towards classes. Trigonometry, I bet her sisters never took trig when they were in school. She shoved the door of the dorm building open and stepped out into the fresh evening. "Spoiled brats" she muttered about her sisters under her breath as she ran. As her mind slipped to her airhead sisters her feet slipped out from under her, sending her face down onto the ground just outside the doors of the dorm building. Smooth. Now she was the late one who ate dirt cause she couldn't control her feet. Lifting herself from the ground and brushing herself off she was glad her leather coat was zipped up, protecting her plain white tank top from the filthy ground. She didn't want to be the late, clumsy, and dirty one, lord no.

She burst in the to the night class building and quickly found the room her class was in. It didn't seem like too many people were there so she didn't feel so bad about not being earlier. Stopping outside the door she regained her composure and brushed herself off one more time before finally stepping into the classroom.

A quick scan and she decided on a seat right in the corner of the front row. She placed her bag down and sat down at the desk. Lenore knew there were younger people in this class and it made her antsy. She hadn't been to a school before so her parents stuck her in all sorts of classes haphazardly, totally ignoring the fact that she was technically a "senior" and she should be placed in senior classes.

Seeing as class hadn't started she lifted a book out of her bag and flipped it open to the page she had careful bookmarked with a small slip of paper. She would read until class started in hopes that nobody would ask what grade she was in.

Eden stopped in the hallway and turned to see a girl speed down the hallway and into a classroom. She blinked, then looked down at her own schedule, then up at the room number which the other girl had just burst into. "Hmm... same room." Slowly, timidly, she stepped into the room, planting each foot on the ground lightly, hoping to not make much noise. To her relief, there weren't very many students in the classroom. But, there were still more people in that room than she'd ever been exposed to at once... so her heart was fluttering and beating just as fast... maybe even faster than a hummingbird's. She sat a seat over from Lenore, leaving an empty seat between them. She made sure that she wasn't sitting directly next to anyone. Made sure that there was at least a chair or two distance between her and the other students. She looked over to Lenore and tilted her head to the side, then got her book and notebook and placed the books on top of each other on her desk.

Char narrowed her eyes at the eavesdropper. With every word he said, the mafia theory seemed less crazy. He had a personal vendetta against the students in the night class. That was obvious. She could tell from watching the other boy that he seemed to be resentful toward the night students as well. The mafia never wanted you to know they were in the mafia. She made a mental note to say something to Kevin about this, though in honesty she would probably forget later. She kept quiet for the most part, not really responding to the eavesdropper. Then, she realized that she didn't even know his name. She was sitting there judging him, irked by him, and she didn't even know him. That was unlike her. Granted, she liked her privacy far more than she liked her popularity. Everyone knew that well enough to stay out of her business. No one gossiped about Char or asked her about her life or bothered to get to know her on anything deeper than a surface level. It wasn't that they were afraid of her. They simply respected her. These students needed to learn to respect her privacy, too. Everyone deserved their privacy. People who didn't believe or respect that fact irked her.

Regardless, Char decided to give this eavesdropper a chance. Everyone deserved that, too. Plus, she wanted to get off the subject of the night students. These boys could bother about it later, but she had already grown tired of the speculations and the judgements. She had been curious enough for a moment, but now, suddenly, she was wary of it. "So," she began, addressing the eavesdropper, "what's your name, anyway?"

The swear word shocked Sasha and made her twitch slightly. She had never heard someone say something so horrid in such a casual way. Twice! People really were different. So, he didn't want to die, but he didn't want to live, so he was going to live a short life, and say whatever he wanted. Sasha decided he didn't make much sense, and said so much. "You don't make any sense. And you're kind of scary. Maybe you should work on that. But maybe I should go back now." As soon as she started talking, the words just kept tumbling out of her mouth as if trying to make the best of the situation. He was kind of interesting in his own way, but she wasn't sure she could, well, handle being near him. At least he wasn't smoking right now.

She turned to walk away, but then spun around just as fast. "Oh wait, um. I'm Sasha," she said with a smile and held out her hand. Somehow it didn't seem right to tell him smoking was bad for his health and question his life philosophies without exchanging names.

|+++|

Kevin snorted and mentally waved off the new comer's wishy-washy explanation. As far as he could tell, the new boy was as likely to be part of the whole conspiracy -- a hired actor who would laugh readily at the truth. The whole thing sounded more and more like mafia, which meant maybe he didn't want to get down to the bottom of it all. No, never. He did want to know, but he didn't want to get involved.

He was just about to jokingly suggest this theory, but Char cut in, asking the stranger's name. It surprised Kevin slightly. Half a second ago, she was angry at him for eavesdropping, and now she cared for his name. Well, Kevin had to admit he wanted to know, too. He looked expectantly.

Krieg raised an eyebrow when the girl said that he wasn't making sense. What part of living free and dying before you grow all wrinkly and weak does not make sense? To Krieg, it all made perfect sense indeed. "If I didn't look so 'scary', I would have to beat up people when I don't even feel like doing so in the first place so no thank you." Krieg paused when he ended his statement to let what he said sink in before continuing, "And yes. You should." The delinquent nodded his head at the girl and walked forward too, seeing as he had nothing else to do except for continuing to study now.

"I'm Krieg." He curtly said in return and took Sasha's hand in his own, allowing the girl to feel the calluses of his battle-hardened fists and the scar that stretched from his wrist to palm; the result of him grabbing a knife with his bare hand. Of course, the one wielding the knife didn't get away scot free either.

Ireland plopped down into her seat and quickly scanned the classroom. It seemed nearly everyone was here. She looked thoughtfully at Terry.
"Hmm, I do like medieval times- especially the Carolingian Empire," Ireland's eyes unfocused slightly as she thought about what it would be like to live in the Middle Ages. She'd always been fascinated by history and although many vampires might think it beneath them she would have loved to be an archaeologist, even if it meant grovelling in the dirt for hours on end. It was worth it to find hidden treasures and secrets of the past.
She yawned and stretched suddenly, looking around for the teacher.
"I wonder where the teacher is," she said then frowned and looked back at Terry, "do you reckon our teacher'll be a vampire too?"

Jack blinked at her sudden change of topic: he'd expected the girl and boy to carry on questioning him about what grudge he had against the night class. He breathed a sigh of relief and smiled warmly, ignoring the boy's snort that showed he didn't believe him.
"Jack. Jack Venari."
He himself almost snorted at how ridiculous he sounded when he reapeated his name like that. It reminded him of the James Bond movies other people seemed to like to watch.
At the same time he felt a little uneasy. If either of them spoke or understood Latin they would realise his surname meant "to hunt". It was an ironic joke his family shared, vampire hunters with the name meaning "to hunt".
It would be a clue to the fact that the night class were actually vampires.

"I sure hope so," Terry replied. "Wouldn't it be awkward if we had a human teacher? I doubt he would be able to handle a group of rowdy vampire teens!" Terry laughed gently and looked toward the door. "Honestly though, I doubt he can handle us if he can't even come to class on time."

Just as she said that, a man walked into the room, slamming the door harshly. Terry froze a little, gripping Ireland's arm. "Ireland, Ireland!" she whispered, "That's a vampire hunter!"

Michael stepped into the room, making sure he slammed the door so that all of the students would stop and stare at him. "Good evening students. I'm your teacher for this class," he announced, standing at the front of the classroom.

"So, um, vampire children. Shall I take roll or do you want me to tell you how many of you are on my list?" he smirked a little. "Too bad that's against school rules. Anyway, if any of your classmates are missing today, I'll let it slide. But tomorrow, I'll start adding to my list of mine."

The door slamming shook Lenore out of her focus on the book she was reading and she dropped it, startled, on her desk. As the harsh man who called himself a teacher started to speak her eyes found him and she frowned softly. Why was he yelling? Why would they have haunter teach the vampires? Was this some sort of attempt to make sure the class behaved? How awfully presumptuous. Why in the world had he startled them all? She glanced down at her book which was closed on her desk, her little paper bookmark had fluttered off of her desk and landed on the floor beside her bag. "I've lost my page." she thought unhappily. Her eyes raised back up to the teacher and she decided it best not to make any moves or sounds. She wasn't about to stir shit up with this man, he seemed rather abrasive.

Ireland laughed at Terry's remark and looked at the door again.
"I'm sure he has a good reason for being late," she said just as the door opened but she didn't immedaitely see what he looked like because Terry gripped her arm too tight and her eyes were drawn to her.
"What?" Ireland blinked, confusion settling in as Terry told her the teacher was a vampire hunter. She didn't dare look at him in case he was. She loved humans and teenage hunters didn't really scare her but the grown hunters could terrify her to no end.
It seemed as though her colourful appearance dulled as her mood dampened and ever so slowly she looked at the teacher.
He was, indeed, a vampire hunter.
"So, um, vampire children. Shall I take roll or do you want me to tell you how many of you are on my list?" he said, "Too bad that's against school rules. Anyway, if any of your classmates are missing today, I'll let it slide. But tomorrow, I'll start adding to my list of mine."
She shrank back a little and looked at Terry helplessly.
"Why would they give us a hunter?" she hissed, suddnely feeling slightly angry. It was as if the worst joke had been played on her and she wanted out.

Terry's jaw was set and she glared at the hunter a little. "They obviously don't trust us to behave on our own," she said. She looked back to Ireland. "It's like their asking for us to revolt against this school. They should've gotten us vampire teachers." Terry sighed a little and watched the teacher as he lookec around the room. She could tell that he was already profiling them, maybe even considering what weapons would be best to kill each one, should he have to.

Michael was already seperating the students into groups. Trouble-makers, ass-holes, terrified, suck-ups. A few were giving him angry glares, as if his presence there offended them greatly.

Michael lifted the teacher's edition math book. "Alright, let's make a deal. You guys play nice and I will too. I don't want to get in trouble for having to blast one of you because you tried to attack me or something." He put the book down on his desk and opened it. "What say you guys we learn some math?" he suggested. With that, Michael turned to the black-board and began writing down equations. "Open your books to page ten."