The New Mutants (80's Era Marvel AU; IC)

Camleen

I'm going to be my own kind of princess
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
In no particular order: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Modern, Magical, Romance, anime, comic books, cartoons, video games..
Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Eon
As he lead the tour past his room, Ryan opened the door and tossed his coat inside in a single, fluid motion, then pulled it shut. "So, as you may have noticed if you've been paying attention to the rooms, or listening in to your fellow students, you'll all be bunking up with someone. Who exactly that is will be up to you, so try and put yourself out there a little, find someone who you wouldn't mind having sleep in the same room as you for an extended period of time. While there's nothing particularly stopping you from changing rooms later on, it's sort of a pain in the butt on our part," he explained, gesturing to himself, "As some of you may be aware, not everybody is as friendly with mutants as us, and so the school has a fairly detailed set of emergency procedures, and we have to go and update them every time there's a switch," he continued, his tone as agreeable as it was informative. "There's nothing too interesting up here, though there is a hidden door that'll get you into the attic, and I've got 50 bucks for the first person to find it," he said with a wry smile.

He knew how to get into the attic, of course. McCoy had shown him pretty early on in his stay here, and it was mostly filled with outdated equipment from around the school that the professor thought there might be a use for. That, and some small animal that liked to make all it's annoying noises right above Ryan's room whenever he was trying to fall asleep.

He continued the tour, strolling leisurely through the upper floors, allowing for the students to get a good handle on where everything was before proceeding to the next part of the tour.

"And here we have the study hall. There's plenty of books in here, both for studying and just for pleasure. I think Dante's Inferno is in there somewhere, if you're interested in seeing some of ancient man's attempts at making metal album covers," he said, pushing open a heavy wooden door and gesturing inside. It wasn't anything too impressive. The walls were lined floor-to-ceiling with bookcases, all of which were full, and there were a few tables and a handful of chairs scattered about. It was nicer than most school libraries by far, but wasn't quite as interesting as other places on the property.

Janice was about to say she has been talking to the security system, so she could probably just ask the system for a way in, but stops herself. Adults probably....likely...would not like that. She makes a mental note to ask it later, maybe call the teacher's bluff on the $50. That would go a long way to fund the projects cracking in her head. Janice remains quiet as they proceed through the upper floors, through the girls dorms to the study hall. They pass the room where herself, Laura, and now Jo would be sharing and politely says to the other girl "Hope you don't mind music, I'll do my best to keep it quiet ya know if it annoys you at all."

In the study hall, Janice scans the titles with her hands behind her back, getting on her tip-toes to look at as much of the higher shelves as she can. So far there wasn't anything that interested her. Literature wasn't her strong suit. She rejoins the group as they move on, and they move on to the boy's side. And when they get there to be greeted by another student, and his 'unique' greeting, Janice again jumps slightly and squeaks, nearly bumping Laura. Looking at the boy, Janice gives a small smile and makes a not to ask more about his power later. The way he could amplify and direct his voice like that, and she guesses suppress the sound of his skates on the floor, gets her brain working immediately. The way she looks at the boy semi-discretely as they go along, one might think she was ogling him like a girl did her crush.

@Camleen @abalint @Eon @Sir Kaltao

There is still a small frown on her lips as the 'tour' commences, her mind lingering on Colt. Rather, Colt's demeanor. Her eyes draw towards the others, though. She can practically feel the… what's the word… hesitation? A little bit of nervousness there, she thinks. It could be simply attributed to this new place, this new huge place.

Laura's head half turns towards Piotr as he nears her. The tall artist seems to have little problem with getting into someone's personal space. While him getting close to her doesn't bother her, she knows of other students it could bother. As it is… perhaps she feels a bit of comfort having someone close to her in the physical sense. Something she has been shut off from her whole life. It's something new, something different.

Piotr assures her that the new boy will 'come around'. Perhaps he thinks the boy will acclimate to the school. She doesn't know where Colt is from, or his circumstances. But somewhere in her mind she thinks that perhaps he is putting up the same sort of barriers she has been putting up. Keeping up.

A barricade around your heart. Keeping out the danger… holding in the pain.

Laura would only nod a little to Piotr, but her features do soften. He's good at drawing, so he is probably right about this. Not sure what one has to do with the other, but she finds herself trusting in Piotr's spirit.

The tour would continue as Laura's mind delves inwards a little, trying to sort out these new feelings. The feeling of being in a group of people around her own age (little does she know she's probably the youngest), and not being fearful of said group. What did Logan say… people deserve to be safe. She isn't so sure how to process these new feelings, this subtle and small feeling of burgeoning confidence, of being in a good place for the first time in her life. But the fact is, these aren't new feelings for her. But she has been numb to them for the whole of her existence.

With the sound of a voice from everywhere, her eyes widen and her head springs up, looking around herself quickly. That wasn't like when Charles talks to her, she heard it with her ears and not her brain. Unknowingly her hands draw into fists at her sides, her arms clenching as if ready to fight something off. Much the same way she reacted in the front yard with Piotr. But a moment before he actually emerges, Laura's gaze flicks towards Joseph. Another new guy? Yes, fairly new. His scent isn't alien to her, but not familiar yet either. Not like the teachers and students that have been here for a while around her. She stares at his roller skates… having never seen such things on people's feet. Her head tilts a little to one side as she watches him roll along the corridor, her body turning to keep him in front of her the whole time. She seems oblivious to Janice's reaction, or to the fact Colt actually seems to be smiling now. She is just fascinated with those wheels.

But her voice comes forth in a soft, almost hesitant tone as she steps closer to Janice. Her eyes look towards her and towards Jo as she speaks, her brows furrowing. "I have music. In the wood box." She says with a little nod. No, that's not too vague is it. But perhaps it's just her little attempt to try and fit in, to try and get people to like her. As Logan suggested she had to do. An attempt to fit into the group that seems to already be comfortable around one another.

Tagging: @Ms.Ezra, @abalint, @Eon, @Sir Kaltao, @Gands

Reactions: Ms.Ezra
Jo kept to herself as she followed the tour. The sound of mutants moving throughout the building kept her mind occupied as she tried to pay attention to the tour. Jo couldn't really see herself living with the other two girls. Metal girl (Laura) seemed uninterested in her while the other girl (Janice) was all too happy about being here. Feeling awkward, Jo played with the idea of interacting with them. She moved towards the two girls for a moment, but lost her courage and backed off. After so many years of hiding who she was and now she couldn't eve approach other mutants that she was going to live with.

When Ryan mentioned the hidden room, Jo brushed it off. The thought of going on a wild goose chase seemed ridiculous to her. Besides, if she really wanted to find it she'd go wandering until she stumbled upon it. Doors, walls, ceilings, and floors were visual barriers. Jo could 'see' through these things based on how the magnetic fields moved around space. As her mind continued to wander, the strange magnetic/tech girl came over. Jo didn't care if the girl had her music on or not, Jo would have her headphones in anyways. They usually drowned out excess sound anyways. "I don't mind," Jo replied with a soft smile. Then the other girl addressed her prompting her to continue, "I have headphones. I'll be fine. Thanks." Jo wasn't sure if they were sharing their music or just stating the fact that they had music. It was a bit odd. Feeling a bit odd, Jo tried repeating their names as they talked to get a feel for their voice, their mannerisms, and their 'magnetic aura'.

As Ryan continued the tour, Jo felt a bit odd. The library seemed impressive, but Jo knew it'd be somewhere less frequented. Most of the books seemed like print books based on their size and shape. Braille books by nature were large cumbersome tome. Jo really didn't care because she didn't really care much anyways. Nevertheless, Jo felt a bit sad that so much knowledge was 'off limits' since she couldn't read print. Jo didn't really like libraries since they were often a place 'off limits' to her. While she enjoyed listening to the occasional audio book, reading Braille and having the ability to really analyse text was a pleasure.

@Ms.Ezra, @Camleen , @Eon, @Sir Kaltao, @Gands

Ryan stuffed his hands in his pockets as he continued to lead the students through the upper halls. The varying reactions of the students didn't escape him, but some of the better stuff was coming up next. He whistled the tune of a song that came out when he was little as he walked, coming to stand at the top of a flight of stairs. "So, I know that this part of the tour was a bit boring, but at least you all know where to find the bathroom now, instead of having to stumble around for it in the dark at 2 AM," he said, leaning on the metal railing casually.

"So, now that we've gotten through the boring stuff, what do you guys and gals want to see?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. There were, of course, plenty of things that were only rumored to be within the mansion, and a fair share of other things that he wasn't supposed to show the students, but a fair share of the rumors did ring true, and there was plenty of exciting things he could show the young ones. The heavy wooden Tonfa that he'd tucked into his belt was starting to poke at his lower back uncomfortably, so he used this moment to adjust it to a more comfortable position. It was one of a set, both made from solid wood that was sturdy enough to block sword-strikes even without being augmented by his power. While not as flashy as optic blasts or adamantium claws, it got the job done well enough. Plus, some of his other equipment could be attached to them, allowing him to make a sort of riot shield that was as invincible anything could be, if he held it just right so as to touch it in multiple places.

But, that was neither here nor there. For now, he crossed his arms in front of his students and watched, waiting for their answers.

@abalint @Camleen @Ms.Ezra @Sir Kaltao

Piotr

The young Russian walked along with the group. He quietly studied them. He did his best to walk near Colt, without looking like he was trying to walk near Colt. This was right up until Joe showed up. There was something about Joe that made him feel at ease. Even the new nickname seemed comforting and appropriate. The Wizard of Oz, was one of the books he had read as a young boy, translated into Russian of course. His family kept a box of valuable pre Soviet books in a secret hiding spot on the farm.

As Joseph rolled by, Piotr grinned wide and gave him a high five.

" Hello Joseph, I have brought new friends !"

And typical, Joseph rolled right up to one of the girls ......

Piotr chuckled softly to himself and kept with the tour. When they hit the Library he once again simply watched them.

Janice seemed excited and little ghost not so much. He moved slowly over to Laura, close but not too close.

" Little Ghost, I would like to hear your music after tour if you want "

After a while, when Mister Ryan asks for ideas for the tour, " How about fancy gym mister Ryan ?"

@abilint @Ms.Ezra @Sir Kaltao @Camleen @Eon @Camleen

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: alint
Okay, you can ignore me, that's okay.. Joseph thinks when the girl he had just greeted offers no response. He chalks it up to nerves. Blind girl in a new place surrounded by new and odd people? Yeah she has a lot on her mind. Joseph thinks as he rolls over to Piotr and rolls alongside him as they go through the tour. At the mention of music, Joseph can't help but also interject with Piotr, albeir quickly. "If you wanna hear live music, let me know." He is of course on his best behavior because of Mrs. Armstrong specifically. That woman had made it clear from day one she wasn't going to tolerate his usual antics in her presence, and he fears her more than any cop he's encountered.

In the library, Joseph sees the redhead tip-toeing to look at the higher shelves and brings over a stool. "Ask and ye shall receive, Little Red." He says to her with a thumbs up as he sets it down and keeps rolling.

At Piotr's suggestion, Joseph comes up beside him and concurs with a tap of his hockey stick on the floor. "I second the motion! You lot will really like it." He gives an assuring nod.

@Camleen @abalint @KC @Eon @Ms. Ezra
@Gands

Reactions: Gands
The challenge to find the door to the attic was right up Colt's alley, preferring to spend much of his time alone where possible. If he could find the door it would mean he could have somewhere to hide out, to relax. Following the group and taking his time, Colt turned his nose up at the mention of a study hall and as the door was opened he stopped in his own stride. He had no bother for books and his jaw tightened as he realized the reality of having to hide the fact that he couldn't read or write well at all. He had folded his arms across the front of his chest subconsciously as a physical response to feeling uncomfortable and stepped off to the side of the door when the others stepped inside. He didn't care to acknowledge what he deemed useless to him, instead studying the length of the hallway instead as Ryan continued to describe the study hall. He then looks to the seemingly youngest kid who had stared him down earlier, wondering what if any ability she had. He thought on it further, wondering how long it would take them all to show what abilities they had. If he could find that out then at least he would have more information to work with, to exploit.

The tour had continued and Colt did little but trail behind the group nonchalantly as Ryan seemed to drone on about room after room. It was all necessary information although Colt often became restless and bored. When the group was asked on what they wanted to see he had muttered, "the front door," though he had seemed to be much more comfortable than his initial arrival. He had found something a little more comforting knowing that there were at least two other guys around his age in the group of students and while he wasn't completely aware of their personalities and backgrounds, neither one of them seemed to be self righteous and idiotic. Piotr recommended they be showed the gym and for a moment there was a glimpse of curiosity and genuine interest from Colt. He was a lover of sports and workouts, never a fan of paperwork of any kind.
----

Thought
Speech

@Sir Kaltao ,@Camleen @abalint @Eon @Ms. Ezra
@Gands

Ryan nodded, taking in the group's various answers. "That's two votes for the gym, and only one snarky answer. I think that might be a school record," he said with a smile, "What about the rest of you?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. It was true, usually he got a bit more snark than this when he was on tour duty. So far, most of the students seemed interested, though not outright thrilled, to be going here. The new students showed promise, and it wasn't just because of their strong abilities. While Colt had a bit of a...fiery personality, the others seemed like the kind of kids who would take well to the school's environment, learning to control their powers and use them for the good of themselves and others. Even Colt would probably be willing to work with the staff in time, once some of his issues had been worked through. Hopefully, the young man would find Ryan a sufficiently trustworthy person to work through such things with, since that was his job. It would be fine if he didn't, or found someone else more trustworthy, but ideally he'd be able to learn to enjoy his time here.

For now though, Ryan would wait for the rest of the votes to come in before leading his students somewhere else, away from the less-than-exciting upper floor, with it's dorm rooms, bathroom, and combination of library and study hall. He half-hoped that he'd run into one of the other, more famous members of the X-Men, if only so he could impress the students, or find an excuse to embarrass Scott in front of the kids. The X-Men's resident artillery was kind of a snob when he wasn't doing his job of field-commander with remarkable effectiveness.

Oh there he is. The jokester was Amelia's first thought when Joseph made his presence known. When reading his file, she'd immediately thought of the applications of his powers as she did with the others. His maybe didn't have the same offensive capabilities as the others, but would be useful. She hadn't considered he could use them for personal entertainment purposes. She hadn't had him for class yet, but she'd been quick to let him know in her own way that none of his antics would be tolerated in her classroom.

Since this wasn't her classroom, Amelia is silent for the most part of this tour. When they get to the library, she sees that Joseph is quick to help Janice. Reading the young girl's expression and body language, she gets an impression she voices when coming up next to her. "Not a big reader."

Janice looks up at Amelia and shrugs, looks away "I'm not big on like 'stories'. I like to read manuals and textbooks."

"That right? Well I think there's a book you need to read here..." She looks at the upper shelves, and picks out one, holds it for the young girl, winking and smiling at her.

Janice accepts the book. "Prodigal Genius: The Life of Nikola Tesla. Is this gonna be required reading for class?" She asks.

Amelia laughs "No no, it's about someone I feel is unappreciated. Edison was just a salesman that sold the world on electricity. This man." She taps the book cover. "Was a true electric genius."

"Oh!" Janice exclaims and hugs the book to her chest. "I did hear the name once. Thanks!"

"Read it, let me know what you think." Amelia smiles wider and, without thought, reaches down to ruffle her fair red hair. Both of them look at each other in that moment, unsure what to make of what just happened. Janice is more visibly inquisitive, Amelia more nonchalant. Internally she asks herself Why did I just ruffle her hair like I'm her aunt or something? That's...kind of inappropriate. She takes her hand off, and walks away as if it didn't just happen.

Thankfully the attention of most was on Ryan in that moment. Amelia was beside Ryan in another 'whoosh' "After the gym, how about dinner? Feeling a little peckish myself and I just ate my last protein bar." She asks the students.

Janice snaps out of her mind, and answers "Dinner sounds good!" A little louder than normal, as she realizes immediately and snaps her mouth shut. "Sorry. I'm a little hungry."

@Camleen @Eon

Laura looks waaaay up towards Piotr as he addresses her… giving him something of an odd look. He called her 'little ghost' again… just like he named her in the picture he drew of her. She wonders why he calls her that… and why she finds it so delightful.

She just smiles almost shyly up to Piotr, and she gives him a little shrug. Wanting to make it seem like no big deal.

Her dark eyes move to Joseph once more, focusing on his roller skates, and then his hockey stick. Is it… a weapon of some kind? Are they allowed to carry weapons around in the school? Says the girl that has blades in her. But as the group moves, Laura moves with them. Even though it seems she isn't paying attention. Once again, she knows the place pretty well.

But her attention once more is diverted when Amelia fetches a book for Janice. Laura discretely moves closer to Janice, looking with curiosity towards the book itself. She reaches half over Janice's shoulder to draw her fingertips along the spine of the book as she holds it… and she then gives Amelia an odd look when she ruffles Janice's hair. Well that was kind of odd. She's known Amelia for a few months now, and the woman never did any sort of thing to her. But then again, people's perception of Laura is probably a bit different than their perception of fun loving and kind Janice.

The idea of a little dinner is proposed… but almost as soon as the group kind of decides that's where they should go… the whole of the group would hear a soft voice in their collective heads.

~Ryan, Amelia, Logan… please bring the new students to the parlor. I would like to have a little orientation class with them. Marilyn has set out some finger sandwiches here. I promise not to keep them terribly long.~

Charles' voice is a gentle one in their thoughts, and they would all see in their mind's eye the path of hallways leading from where they are to the parlor room.

And once they near the parlor itself, they would all see a man standing just outside of it. It almost looks like he's standing guard or something. He is dressed in what most would consider a 'preppy' fashion sense… nice slacks and a light sweater. But his most distinguishing feature is the device sitting across his eyes. It's yellow in color, covering his face from the top of his nose to his lower forehead. And along the middle of it horizontally, a thin red aperture. His gaze moves towards the students as they approach, but he doesn't really greet them or anything. As if he's actually silently assessing them. It might seem that way because he's actually silently assessing them.

The parlor itself… it seems like something of a luxurious room. A fireplace in the middle of one of the walls, and on the opposite side a glass door and windows showing off the property itself. A lovely view, really. There is a small fire in the fireplace itself, and plush couches and chairs along the parlor itself. In the middle is a fancy looking coffee table, and upon it a tray of little ham sandwiches, along with some turkey sandwiches and bologna sandwiches. Some small bottles of water are there also. And sitting not far from the fireplace itself, sits Charles. His lap covered by a thin quilt, his hands folded on that lap as he stares out towards the yard. The sun has began to set outside of the windows, creating something of a lovely scene to behold.

Jo followed like an obedient dog. she really didn't notice Joseph when he implied she had an interesting name. To be honest, Jo wasn't sure where she fit in in this group. As the teachers led them through the school, Jo started to get an understanding of how immense the building really was.

When the group got to the library, Jo felt somewhat out of place. She Shrugged her shoulders casually to get rid of the uncomfortable butterflies in her stomach. She wondered if there were any braille books or audio tapes or something not print. As Janice and Amelia talked about a book, Jo felt alone.

Dinner! Now that was something Jo wanted. She didn't eat much on the train ride and was only able to snack on Ryan's treats in the car. Her stomach was starting to rumble despite her protests so food sounded great. Just as they were heading out, a soft voice whispered into Jo's ear. The Voice seemed familiar yet she knew she'd never heard it before. Understanding that some mutants had the ability to communicate telepathically with others, Joe wasn't too alarmed when the voice first spoke. What she did find uncomfortable was the ease at which the voice seemed to resonate inside her mind. There was something almost intruding about the voice, like it shouldn't be there but it was.

The teachers leading the group to a smaller room where strange figure stood guard at the door. She had no idea what he look like but there was something strange about his eyes. The way the magnetic fields around his head shifted made Jo suspected that his powers were linked to his eyes in some way. The figure seemed to glare at them all, as if judging them silently through a looking glass of sorts.

When they finally entered the parlor the scent of food bombarded Jo's nostrils. She immediately moved towards the table with the sandwiches. Jo really didn't notice the decor of the room, to her the only noticeable things within the room were the man sitting in a chair opposite them, the fireplace in the side of the wall, and the food on the table.

Jo could tell that there was a variety of different sandwiches. She wanted to find maybe turkey or a vegetarian option. To her there was a mound of food on the table and she couldn't figure out which sandwiches were which. The idea of sniffing each sandwich to figure out which one she wanted seemed rude. She never had to worry about this stuff at home or even with friends. Things were always labeled and separated. With a sigh Jo played Russian Roulette and picked up two random sandwiches along with a bottle of water. Retreating back to the group, Jo started to eat her sandwiches. Her first bite was unpleasant she did not like bologna at all. The second sandwich on the other hand was turkey she was very happy about that and proceeded to eat her sandwich in the back of the group.

Piotr

The young Russian walked with the others as Ryan and Amelia led them to the parlor.

He started taking martial arts with Amelia last month after work through the summer with Logan. He was working with defensive arts. He also worked with another teacher working on grace, stretching and limberness.

There seemed to be something of a crowd trying to be in the back of the small group, so Piotr moved to walk by Laura and Janice.

On the way by, he greeted Mr Summers, who in Piotr's opinion had all of the personality of a cardboard cutout with a mechanical voicebox.

Once inside, he greeted the Professor with a warm smile. He sat cross-legged by the fireplace after getting himself a random sandwich & water. He noted the new girl again in the back, finally suspecting there might be some there issue there. Colt too a rearmost wallflower. Still, little ghost gave him a smile, however briefly and he thought that quite grand progress.

Logan

Logan had been about to go in and talk with Charles anyway when the telepathic message came. As some of the kids wandered past into the room, Logan stood in front of Scott, simply to interrupt the almighty Cyclops glare. Neither man would give in to the other, but Logan couldn't help but try and screw with Scott.

Logan sat comfortably where he could watch Colt and Jo, giving Laura a friendly wink despite himself.

@abalint @Camleen @Ms.Ezra @Eon @KC @Sir Kaltao

"Wow" Joseph nearly drops his hockey stick when he hears Professor Xavier in his head, but catches it as he listens intently. "I'll show off my sweet moves later, then." Joseph says with a shrug as he goes along with the group. He does however zip over to the room he shares with Piotr(and now Colt) and returns to the group with a bag of Snausages in hand, coming in aside Piotr before they get to their intended destination.

"Heyyy Mr. Summers." Joseph says as he passes Scott. He's only met Scott Summers a couple times so far, and already Joseph pegged him as one of those people that was generally hard to get along with. He holds the bag of Snausages out to the teacher and asks "Want one? No? Alright." He reaches in, grabs one of the round bits of meat, and pops it into his mouth as he skates by.

In the room proper, Joseph sets the bag down, leans against a wall to observe the others. He pays particular attention to the blind girl. He hasn't gotten her name yet, so for now she's just that: Blind girl. He munches on another morsel as he waits for whatever it is Professor Xavier has called them here for. Meanwhile he doesn't partake in the sandwhiches. He's content to munch on the contents of the bag with a smile to match.

@Camleen @Ms.Ezra @Gands @abalint @Eon @KC

The mention of food was a blessing to Colt's ears, typically a bottomless pit as a young man his age was often referred as. He had barely enough time to think of the possibilities of food when the professor's voice once again invaded his mind and seemingly those around him. His brow furrowed as he listened, somewhat frustrated with the way the professor spoke so disarmingly. Still there was little to lose by going along with the suggestion of meeting the professor again and more sandwiches were on offer that the wonderful Marilyn had made, just like the glorious morsel he had scoffed at the jailhouse. Following the others Colt anxiously juggled a cluster of small fireballs in his left hand swung lightly by his side, his eyes still scanning the walls as he tried to make a visual map in his mind of what he had seen in the mansion.

As they rounded the corner the man standing beside the professor's door came into Colt's view, the first glimpse between the bodies of the other students as they progressed through to the parlor. He was stiff framed as though an iron rod ran through his back and an unusual device across his eyes like some futuristic pair of shades. He said nothing as Joe offered him snausages and Colt took a moment to slow as he past the man. Neither Colt nor the man spoke as Colt passed him by, snuffing the flames in his palm to use his hand to locate the door frame. He searched the device that covered the man's eyes to see them but instead he was met by his own reflection, his expression dark. It was the second time Colt had seen someone guard like around the professor and though Tom Corsi hadn't made him feel quite as intimidated, the fact of their existence had left Colt wondering exactly what the Professor and his school's intentions were.

Finally breaking his eyes from the man, Colt entered into the parlor. It was much more extravagant than anything he had seen in his life and the windows offered him a view that seemed like a dream rather than reality. Confronted in so many ways and feeling an inner swirl of chaos Colt found himself closing up, his arms folding back across his chest as he walked around the outer of the room rather than making himself comfortable on a chair. Unintentionally his body heat radiated as his thoughts ran wild, Colt finding a blank portion of wall to stand against. Keeping his back to the wall ensured he couldn't be jumped in anyway, he could see everything in front of him. Glancing around at the teachers rather than the students for a moment, Colt made mental notes on where they were before his eyes finally came to a rest upon the Professor.
----
@Sir Kaltao @Camleen @Gands @Eon @abalint @Ms.Ezra

Ryan was visibly surprised at the Professor's telepathic message beamed into his head. He made an audible shocked squeak, jumping just the tiniest bit off the ground. The teacher was never ready for it when Xavier's telepathic communications came through, and thus always felt like he was going to have a heart attack each time he felt the other man's voice resonating in his skull. He shook his head, running both hands through his long hair to return it to order with a long sigh, "Alright, well, I assume you guys all heard the man," he said, "let's all head downstairs," he continued, holding out his arms and flashing a wide, friendly smile before gesturing for the students to head down the stairs ahead of him, like some sort of butler. He followed down shortly after, bringing up the rear at a comfortable pace.

"Oh, hey Scott," he said, giving his coworker a polite wave. He and Cyclops weren't exactly on bad terms, but the team's field commander was a tough guy to get along with. He wasn't really mean or rude, but just very...by the book. It made him reliable, and Bulwark trusted him as much as any other member of the team, but they were simply two very different people. "This round of kids sure are promising, huh?" He asked, standing back and allowing the students to feed themselves from the buffet of sandwiches. After standing quietly next to his fellow X-Man and teacher, he scratched the back of his head, "I uh, I haven't actually eaten lunch yet," he admitted, "I'm going to grab one of those sandwiches," he said, striding over to the table.

Perusing the selection of sandwiches that had been arranged on the table, a small thoughtful humming escaped the teacher's lips. Turkey, bologna, beef...no, those wouldn't do. Godless abomination of a sandwich that was basically just a lettuce straightjacket for a bell pepper driven mad by the weight of its own existence that had been pinned between two slices of bread? No, he wasn't a vegetarian. "Oh, there you are," he muttered under his breath, "my perfect muse," he added, plucking a ham sandwich from the pile. He didn't bother with a plate, or any of the other, inferior snacks that had been arranged with such careful precision that...wait, did McCoy set this up? A brief moment of worry filled the teacher's heart as he checked his sandwich for the thin blue hairs that his favorite coworker would often leave lying about anywhere he went. A relieved sigh sneaked it's way up and out through his lungs, his shoulders heaving as he found his food clean of fur. He made his way to stand back beside his coworker, sinking his teeth into the bread of his sandwich.

"So, haven't seen much of you today," he said, covering his mouth with his free hand as he spoke, since it was still full of food. "Anything worth filling me in on?" Ryan asked his stoic companion.

"What's that?" Janice asks, startled by the sudden literal voice in her head, aside from her inner monologue. The voice answers her question and Janice relaxes, follows along with the group as they proceed to the study. Since the study/library was attached to the girls dorm, she goes in to drop the book and grabs Piotr's sketchbook, flipping it open and marvelling at the quality sketces inside.

Amelia hears the message like the others, and walks beside Ryan on the way. She wants to run, being hungry and all, but restrains herself. In passing Scott, she gives him a nod of acknowledgment. Summers was, in Amelia's time on staff and the team, reliable and effective as both a teacher and team leader. One couldn't expect much more of a man in such a position. Maybe more personable, a little flexibility, but nobody's perfect.

When she encounters Scott, Janice is more intrigued by the device he wears than the man himself. She senses electrical motors inside, a positive charge being fed by the same miniature batteries. Why would someone need such advanced eyewear? A high-tech visual aid, maybe? Has to be related to his mutation.

"That visor is really cool"Janice says looking up at him as she passes, smiling at the stoic man.

In the study, Amelia goes right to the sandwiches and stacks four vegetarian ones on her hand before standing with the rest of her fellows. The woman downs her first in a blur of motion that is barely heard or seen. "One of these days, I gotta pry some lessons out of that woman." Amelia says referring to Marilyn.

Janice meanwhile has taken a single ham and cheese sandwich and comes to present Piotr with his sketchbook in her other hand. "Here ya go. You're very good by the way. If you can draw me, I'd like that so I can send it home. Mom would love to have it."

@Gands @Camleen

~Cyclops~
His hidden gaze moves with each of the new kids… and then Logan decides it would be funny to just stand there staring at him. He stares dooooooown at the man (ya know, because Logan is just a little taller than most of the children), and he just says simply "Wolverine." in a flat tone. He watches as Logan moves into the parlor with the others, and he sighs in the back of his mind. That little fella has a bad attitude. He's clueless as to why the Professor holds him in such high regard.

But as the procession continues, Scott folds his hands behind his back, making eye contact with all of them. Though they may not realize he is making eye contact with them. He just shakes his head to Joseph's question… weird kid. He seems to be one of those that loves attention. He likes to be in the center of the crowd, and eyes on him. Or so that's Scott's impression of him. His gaze then moves to Colt… the kid the Professor went into town to fetch from jail. He makes fire… a good tool in combat, once he learns to control it. Rather, once he hones that power.

He looks towards Ryan as he now passes, and he nods to him. "Ryan." He says simply. When he mentions the kids, Scott's eyes look towards the group as he speaks softly, so only Ryan would hear him. "I can't say yet. Once we run them through the Danger Room… once they start actually going to classes… then I'll have a better idea." He nods as Ryan goes to get his sammiches, and he then looks to Janice as she speaks to him. Jan Kissel… the technopath. She can probably tell his visor is indeed mechanical. He gives her a faint smile in response, and that's about it. He hates that his mind went to this place… but when she says he has a cool visor… all he can think about is the reason he is forced to wear it. When she finds out about him, she may not think it's so 'cool'. Or whatever word the kids use these days.

An as the procession moves into the parlor, Scott follows them quietly. He closes the doors behind him to the parlor, not wanting any of the other students to enter. They all know that when the door is closed, it's in use. He stops besides Ryan as he is once more addressed, and he shrugs a little as he looks in the direction of the Professor. "Nothing really… just these new kids." He pauses as he now looks towards Ryan from behind his softly glowing visor. "I don't know what kind of promise they'll have as a group. Or individuals. But with you, Amelia and Wolverine mentoring them… they have a hell of a good chance to be better than any of us." He says with a nod, patting Ryan on the shoulder as he walks passed him, moving in the direction of the Professor.

~Laura~
Without a word Laura follows the group into the parlor, her dark eyes moving from one mutant to another. Her gaze lingers on Colt, on the fact he had demonstrated his fire power. Though probably not with the intention of showing off. She forgets what that power is called, but she knows it can be extremely devastating if used right. She looks towards Joseph and his snacks… and she's starting to realize just how odd the people are around her. Maybe it's because she's not totally 'used' to people yet that she is noticing all of these oddities about them all.

Amelia ruffling Janice's hair
Colt being a jerk
Piotr calling her 'little ghost'
Janice jumping at what seems to be every little thing
Joseph eating what looks like doggie treats
Jo apparently being able to see without being able to see
Ryan trying to be the 'cool uncle' to the group
Scott staring at her like she stole his lunch money

Oddities. But she finds she wants to be closer to them all.

She doesn't partake of the food, she plops down next to Piotr. Her eyes look to Janice when she gives him back his sketchbook, and she frowns a little at herself. She had completely forgotten about it. She looks to Janice and nods, knowing that Piotr would do a wonderful job of sketching her. But as she sits there, she suddenly looks towards Charles. She kind of stares at him, and he stares back at her. She nods to him, as if they were having a little conversation. Because that's exactly what's happening. She frowns a little towards Charles, and then looks towards Logan out of the corner of her eyes.

~Professor Xavier~
Charles sits in his wheelchair, staring out the window. He's glad they could have this little get together at this time of day. The view is just lovely from here, with the landscape and the sunset and all. He half looks in the direction of those gathering within the room as they file in, and a small smile finds itself to his lips. Curiosity… fear… anxiety… apprehension… all things he can sense in this room.

But as they settle, as everyone gets a sandwich, Scott moves to stand near him. Charles looks towards Scott, and then towards the group. Scott watches Charles as he stands there, and then towards the group also. It seems they had a few telepathic words between them. But then, Charles speaks to everyone. "Thank you all for coming, you've my sincere apologies for asking you here so suddenly. But" he now wheels himself closer to the group, his gentle eyes moving amongst them. "I thought we should all be introduced. Firstly though, if you would indulge me… My name is Professor Charles Xavier… and the building we're all in has been in my family for generations. A long time ago… I found I could look into other people's minds, I could speak to them in their minds. That is my gift." His hands now fold in his lap as he continues. "We realized that many more of us would begin to emerge. Homo sapien superior… mutants. It is your mutations" he motions to them all "that make you special. Some of you see your gifts as a curse" Charles glances over his shoulder towards Scott as he stands stoically "but I see them as nothing more than a tool to be used to better the world around us. Given that… we opened this school for people like you. Those born with the so called 'X' gene, those wanting to learn control. How to use their gifts to help others. Those wanting a place where they need feel no fear, no discrimination. You are all welcome here, this can be as much of a home for you as you would allow it. So… introductions, then."

He sits up a little as he now smiles, taking in a quick deep breath before he speaks. "The man behind me is Scott Summers. He was one of my first students, and has become a very talented field leader. He'll be a special advisor to your mentoring group… and perhaps aid you in the Danger Room. But…" he makes a dismissive motion as he continues "that can wait." Charles now motions to each person as he introduces them. "Amelia Armstrong… she will be your music teacher. Her gift is superspeed. Ryan Stretz… his gift is the ability to make anything invulnerable he touches. Logan… he has advanced senses, as well as a healing factor. And razor like adamantium claws. These three will be your mentors… this group's teachers, I suppose you could say."

He pauses as he continues to smile. "I apology in advance if any of you are embarrassed by this, but I feel the first step in learning to be a little family is actually knowing one another's names." He says with a soft chuckle. He now goes around the room, motioning to each of the students as he introduces them. "So… let's start with Colt Walker. He is a pyrokinetic, he can create and control fire. Josephine Roche… she has control over the electro-magnetic field. And I'm sorry if I make your abilities seem oversimplified… I only wish to introduce you all, not give a term paper on each of you." That poor joke gets a light chuckle out of Scott… causing Charles to look back at him oddly… and he promptly clears his throat and goes back to being all Scott like. "Carrying on, then. Joseph Heroux… his gift is the manipulation of soundwaves. Janice Kissel… she is a technopath, and can manipulate electricity. A technopath has the ability to interact psionically with anything electronic. You are going to be doing a lot of consulting for us, young lady." He says with a nod to her. "Piotr Rasputin… his skin can transform into an impenetrable organic chrome. I'm fairly sure he could lift a house if he so desired also." He then looks to Laura, who is right next to Piotr, and she scowls a little at him. He knows why. "And finally, Laura." They may note that Charles gave everyone's full names, but only Laura's first name. "She has enhanced senses, an advanced healing factor… and adamantium claws and talons. Piotr and Laura have been here for quite some time, Laura for nearly a year I think?" Laura doesn't respond to that, still seeming not so thrilled about being singled out.

"So…" he says with another deep breath as his attention moves back to the group. "It's unusual for us to make a group like this. But we've looked at all of your files… deliberated based on what we know of you… your personality, gifts… and we've decided we want to begin training all of you to be a very special group… one that can act as ambassadors between mutantkind and those without powers. Ambassadors… and when called upon… defenders of both mutant and human beings…"

Last edited:
When people started talking, Jo immediately tuned in. Her eyes didn't move, but her ears perked up. The sound of teachers whispering to each other drove her mad. She wanted to know what they were saying along with why it wasn't important to tell the rest of them. Then there was Charles Xavier...the guy in the chair. He was all too happy to share what was on his mind and what was happening. The contrast made Jo a bit annoyed. As 'the Professor' went on his history lesson, Jo tuned out a bit. She listened to enough news to know how both sides felt about the rise of mutants. To be honest, she didn't care much for the politics behind the problems. All she wanted was a place to let loose and not hide. That and to work on any sort of car, truck, motorcycle, plane...you name it. Ever since she was a child, she's been in love with vehicles. But in the non-mutant world, she's limited in what she can do since most people see her as 'disabled'. The frustration of knowing she can build any engine a sighted person can, but isn't allowed because she's blind is insufferable. As for fighting, again she didn't really care one way or the other. Growing up on the streets of NYC, Jo knew how to take care of herself in a fight...but then again she never faced other mutants before.

The Professor continued talking, only when Jo heard her name did her mind wander back to the group. She listened and started making a note of who was who along with their different powers. As each person was introduced, Jo mentally scanned them. Hopefully, she wouldn't look like a total loser and mix people's names up.

She was curious about the Laura girl. Did she not have a last name or did she drop it due to issues with family? The girl sounded a lot like the other teacher...like were they related or something. Pondering on the Professor's words for a moment, Jo recognized the metal attached to the two mutant's bones. When she first encountered them, she didn't think too much about it, but looking at it more closely, Jo realized it was a very interesting alloy. As Jo ate her sandwich, she focused on the metal for a moment. It was dense and extremely strong. It might be the strongest metal she's every seen. The magnetic fields seemed to flow around the metal, similar to titanium. Due to the metals' reactivity, or lack there of, she'd have to make more of an effort to move it, but not that much. The iron in their blood was enough to counteract the resistance of the adamantium. This metal didn't act like any metal she's encountered before. With a quick thought, 'What I wouldn't give to play with that metal...'

Jo finished her sandwich before taking note of the technopath, Janice. She was also interesting. From the way Jo perceived the girl, she was definitely affecting the fields in a strange way. It was as if the electricity moving through the building hummed a bit louder where ever this girl went. Jo wondered if their powers would affect each other if they got too close...similar to how a magnet produces electricity when it moves through a coil, would their powers enhance each other or would they short-circuit each other...maybe they'd cause an explosion!

When the Professor finished his spiel, Jo was quick to respond, "So basically you want us to be your mall security?" Jo wasn't well versed in tact, so her question sounded more like a statement. By the look on her face, someone might mistake her for being rude or confrontational. In reality, she wasn't it was just the way she talked similar to other Bronx natives.

Piotr

After Professor Xavier's speech, Piotr takes a long breath. There is something about the mall cop spiel that just hits him wrong. The girl is entitled to her opinion, but yet so is he. He pulls out his crucifix before speaking.

" I have left family who love me to do right thing. Likely politicians take me from family anyway. I cannot say was having any trouble being who I am yet. But, are others who need help. Younger ones, smaller ones. Grandmother has gift, is gypsy. She tells me this is right thing, that Xavier is right man and this is right time. "

"if it is not in your heart to help, I will not try to convince you. Professor is nice man, who will not think Mall cop thing is rude. I, Piotr Rasputin pledge my support with free will and strong heart. "

@Camleen @Ms.Ezra @Sir Kaltao @Eon @KC @abalint

Logan

Logan sits in the corner watching the kids. He smirks a bit with an understanding of how a Brooklyn native goes about their business when Jo speaks. He nods, unsurprised with Pete announces his own support. He watches the firebug, half expecting him to explode, cut and run.