The Moon's Imprint

"Always nice to have someone to trust", I said swiftly, dusting myself off.

Of course, I had only had one person to trust....No! Enough!, I screamed inside.

"We should set up camp soon while it's still light. Otherwise, we won't know our surroundings whenever we're stumbling around in the darkness to pee", I laughed nervously.

I took a look at our current surroundings at the suggestion of making camp. A stream of running water, sufficient dead wood for a fire. This spot would serve us well enough even if it was a little exposed.

"That's a good point." I added with a hint of a smile, her attempt at humor was appreciated. "We certainly wouldn't want that. Here," I reached down and untied Lydia's empty canteen from my belt and held it up, tossing it to her. "I hope you don't mind catching some food again, or getting the water. I'll get some suitable wood and kindling for a fire, deal?" Whether she truly wanted to or not, she was the one with better hunting equipment at the moment.

"Hm...deal", I replied. "I'll hunt in an hour or so, when the animals calm."

I caught my canteen, and dropped my equipment next to me as I sat down in the dirt. "So....you probably want to know what my entire sotry is, right?", I smirked.

Lydia's question caught me off guard and I immediately looked up from drawing my knife out.

I walked closer to a more comfortable talking distance and sat down. "I have to admit, I am curious," I settled myself in, putting my hand down on my knee. "especially about just what that power you possess is, as you claimed you are not a mage. However I have no intention of requesting you to tell me if you're not ready to." I pulled my shield off my back and set it beside me, carrying it was just unnecessary weight right now. "I can see it in your eyes, that your past still haunts you. If you telling me would make that worse I'd feel better just being curious."

I laughed softly, smiling. "You'd be the first tpo hear my tale", I said, drawing and imaginary line along my lips.

"The elves in my 'clan' hated me. They were....jealous, I believe. I was born with something called the 'Onixa', the power to summon elements, as well as spirits and the like. Around three years ago, I was capture by bandits. I cursed one of them, and in return, my mouth was sown shut with tweed and I was left for dead. When I finally made it back to the camp, the other elves laughed, and Tamlen was the only on who helped. We only managed to make a small cut, large enough to stuff scraps of food and pour water in. Shortly afterwards, Tamlen died of and infection similar to the darkspawn taint. So, I left, and well....here we are", I managed to say.

Silence followed.

I fell silent, my expression solemn. It wasn't just humans that had treated Lydia so poorly but her own clan as well? I had never heard of the Dalish shunning their own. On top of that, the only person who showed her any kindness or compassion was dead.

I tried to break the terrible silence that lingered in the air around us. "For what it's worth Lydia, I am truly sorry for the cruelty you endured at the hands of my fellow humans." my words felt hallow and useless, they wouldn't change anything by now. I just didn't want her to go through her whole life believing all of humanity was nothing but scum.

My eyebrows furrowed. "Don't talk like that. You humans aren't an entire organization that think and talk alike. You aren't like the dalish, who all follow the same traditions and speak the same languages. Besides, if it means anything, you're the best human I've come across so far."

My face became smooth again as I calmed.

"So, what's your life story?"

I shot Lydia a look of intrigue. I had not expected her to care about my past. Not that I had an extravagant past until four years ago.

"My life was nothing out of the ordinary," I began, folding my legs in for better balance. "Even my accomplishments as a soldier are not truly worth noting. I grew up in a plain enough home with an average family. When my sister became married and moved to her husband's home in Red Cliff I enlisted to be a soldier, not knowing what else to do with myself. I trained hard, gained promotions... but nothing special. Not until I was among those rallied to defend Ostagar. After the massacre I somehow managed to survive my wounds, returned to my home in Denerim. Instead of being welcomed back for my efforts I was disgraced and stripped of my rank. My injury was deep and across my back, everyone claimed it received it when I tried to flee the battle like a coward. I was just struck from behind, but nobody would listen. I was forced to serve on some pity party and had to obey the orders of a blasted fool for three years. That much I've told you... and brings me to here."

I hated telling my story. I don't like to complain, my life could have been worse... but nobody likes to be wronged.

"I'm so sorry", I found myself saying, even though I was shocked that those words had come out of my mouth. "I would say I know what it's like, but...obviously I don't."

I sat there, at a loss for words. I suppose that having nothing to say was the best I was good at.

I shook my head, she didn't need to feel sorry for me. She had lived through a harder three years than I've lived my entire life. Lydia didn't seem to have any more questions so I tried to spin the conversation.

"If there's one silver lining to any of this for me, it's that I no longer have to follow Nevra's orders. That woman needs her head examined." I took a look around again, trying to find the best source of wood that was good for burning. There were plenty of dead and dying trees but neither of us had a hatchet to make good use of them. A sign of some fallen trees gave me a good sign that easily snapped sticks would be in reach. I faced Lydia again to speak, "I think I'll get the firewood now. That way by the time you come back with something to eat we'll have a fire already going."

I got myself back to a standing position and my armor creaked in protest as thought it knew I wanted nothing but to sit.

"Actually, I'll handle it. You stay here. This will take nothing but a moment", I said, smiling.

I stood up, and headed into the trees behind me, picking up large branches as I went. A minute later, I returned with an armsful of branches, and dropped them down between Garren and I. After aranging them a little, I xpoke the word for fire, and the branches were aflame.

"I missed doing that", I chuckled, sitting down next to Garren. "I'll hunt in a moment. The fire probably scared away some animals, they'lll come back soon."

I shot an amused look towards Lydia. "That sure looks like it would come in handy. Still, you could have let me gather the wood at least, if you plan to still do the hunting. You didn't have to do everything."

I settled in closer to the flames and glanced into them as they danced about on the dried and crackling branches. The warmth was a welcome change and there was something about flames that drew my attention. "This time come back with food for both of us. You need a proper meal." I teased without looking up. "If you come back with only one fish it's yours. I'm no good at catching them bare handed but I should be able to get myself a bird or small mammal."

"Fine", I sighed. "But I'm too comfortable to leave", I smiled.

I couldn't believe it. I was actually warming up to him. To a complete stranger. But that must have happened sometime before, with other people...

Maybe you even like him, a tiny voice said in my head. No, no, shut up. Not happening.

I let out a laugh at Lydia's remark about being comfortable. "Well if you don't want to get up I don't mind catching the food. After all, you took my job."

I pulled out a small stone from a pouch on my waist and withdrew my knife. I meticulously dragged the knife's edge over the stone to resharpen it's blade and give it a good shine. "If you want rabbit I may need to build a trap. That, or borrow your bow if you'd be willing to lend it to me." my words were calm while I focused on the steady scrapes of my knife along the sharpening stone.

"Yeah, sure", I smiled, getting up, walking over and grabbing it.

I handed it to Garren. "Anything else you might need?"

Just then, the fire started going out. "Crap. You go, and I'll work on this", I said, kneeling in front of the fire, muttering elven words that were probably just gibberish to Garren.

Lydia's 'magic' was unlike anything I had seen before from the mages I've encountered. It seemed like ancient knowledge, or an old ability long lost to her kin. Maybe even from the days the elves were still immortal. The words made no sense to me but they sounded beautiful when spoken.

I shook my head, bringing the quiver of arrows over my shoulder. "No, this should be sufficient. I'll be back with some meat soon." I turned my back to her and walked west, where the densest vegetation was and left my shield where I had been sitting. The sound of the fire was soon behind me and the familiar silence of the hunt flowed into my consciousness. My tracking skills which had led me to Lydia's hiding place in the cave kicked back on.

While the fire crackled yet again, I sat, waiting. "...Not comfortable anymore...", I mumbled.

I thought back to earlier, when Garren and I met. I shivered in embarrassment when I remembered how I had rumaged through my pack and my unmetionables had been one of the many things thrown out of it. But Garren hadn't said anything.

And the way he insisted on protecting me. Everything was so...unconventional. But who was I to say what was "in the norm"?

It took me longer than I care to admit but eventually I spotted the tracks of a small creature. My assumption that rabbits were wide spread in the Wilds seemed to be correct.

After I successfully killed and skinned the animal I brought it back to the camp site, strung by it's hind legs as it hung in my hand. Lydia's expression seemed solemn at first. She must have been deep in thought.

"I only found one but it's a decent size." I spoke in a hushed tone as I walked closer, not wanting to disturb her too much. "Do you think this will be enough?"

"Huh?", I said, breaking away from my thoughts. "Sure, that'll do."

"Thank you for going for me. I've been off my game lately. Too much in my mind, I get distracted."

"Don't worry about it," I said with a concerned expression. Still, I wasn't going to force the topic. "I understand. About having a lot on your mind, that is. I can't even begin to relate..."

I decided to stop talking there and strung the rabbit up to a near by tree, plucking a branch off of it as well. I quickly sharpened the end of the stick with my knife in order to make a skewer and used it to place the rabbit in the fire without either of us having to hold onto it. I sat a comfortable distance from Lydia, this time however we were both on the same side of the fire pit. If it was to make splitting the food easier or a sign that I was more comfortable around her I wasn't sure.