The Moon's Imprint

I laughed. "Why do you do that? It's not as if my worth is more than yours, yet you hesitate to pester me with questions as people would in casual conversation." I smiled, and looked over at Garren.

"Ah, but it ceases to matter. Everyone has their ways", I sighed, looking back down at my own feet.

My eyes watched the meat on the fire, slowly cooking on the end of the stick. Lydia seemed too distracted by her thoughts to pay attention to when it was done and I didn't want her first real food in years to be burnt and terrible.

I let out a small laugh at her question. "Why don't I bother you about your problems? I've always been this way. It's not that I am uninterested in hearing about them I just feel it isn't my place to ask you to talk to me about something so personal." I reached out for the stick and spun it around to help the other side of the rabbit cook. "The way I see it, if you wanted to share with me you'd tell me without my having to pry." I looked over towards Lydia with a feint smile, not wanting her to feel like I was not paying all that much attention.

"You have me there", I admitted, smiling.

After a minute or so of silence, I finally settled the battle going on in my head. "I hate to be foward, but I've taken a liking to you, Garren. I look foward to traveling with you."

Oh, Creators, did I just say that? I'm such a fool. I want to hide. No, Lydia, stay strong!, I said in my mind, almost giving in to the urge to run away out of sheer embarrassment.

You've taken a liking to me?

Lydia's words sank deep and I found myself looking at her again. I had almost convinced myself that she was helping me to the Frostbacks in exchange for helping her drive off the two templars. Did she really look forward to traveling with me? If that's the case... what is she going to do when we get to where we're going.

"I'm glad to know you aren't doing this against your will. If you were, I would have let you go your separate way once we were safely out of the wilds." my words were quieter than before, I wasn't entirely sure why. "Since you've been forward with me, allow me the same chance. When we do arrive at Hugh's place, would you stay with me there?" I felt heat in my face and it wasn't from the fire. I wasn't even sure how I meant that myself. Was it to help her stay safe, instead of wandering Fereldin alone or did I just want her to stay with me?

"Definetly something to consider", I said cooly, even though I knew my answer was a straightfoward yes. "But it'll be a while until then."

I could tell I was blushing, the red-hot blood rushing to my face. I quickly looked away, embarrassed.

Did he really say that? He isn't just fooling around, is he? I mean, who would joke about something so far into the future? Calm down, this doesn't change anything. Oh, who am I kidding, this changes everything! I should feel extremely embarrassed, or even ashamed. But I don't. I'm...I''m eager.

Well, I didn't hear a no. That's something. I looked away when she did, instead focusing my attention on the food to stop myself from over thinking what I had asked her. She did have a point, it would be quite a while before we even got there.

"That's true, it's still months away. It was unfair of me to ask something like that so soon." Okay, what did I mean that time? Do I really just want her to stay? I've known her for two days. Just... just focus on the meat.

The food was beginning to brown nicely but it would still need to cook for a few more minutes. It only then hit me that we had nothing to eat this on. At least, I didn't. Her bag probably didn't have anything small and metal either. It wasn't very big.

"It's, uh, n-not that", I stuttered, looking back at him. Oh, gods. Pull yourself together!

I could only imagine how flushed I looked. Obviously, as an elf, I wouldn't have to go through this if I was normal. I'd be betrothed within a second, with none of the awkwardness or embarrassment. But the awkwardness seemed to be something that the Dalish missed out on.

Finally mustering my courage to speak my mind, I said, "It was kind of sweet, actually."

I felt the blood in my face heating up again. I wasn't even sure why I was getting so flustered by this conversation. I pulled the rabbit from the fire after a bit of awkward silence between Lydia and I and examined it to make sure it was fully cooked.

I stood up and walked over to Lydia, holding out the rabbit on the stick. I figured a change of subject to dinner would be a nice change for the both of us. "Here, let this cool down while I go find some flat rocks and wash them in the water. I shouldn't be long."

"Sure...", I replied, a little disoriented. That was...fast.

Part of me wondered what would happen next. An, of course, the thing that occured to me was that there was only one tent. Pervert, I said to myself. You shouldn't be thinking that way...

But it was still in my mind, even when Garren returned.

Finding the stones wasn't very difficult, the stream offered plenty of convenient rocks to eat off of that were already washed clean. Walking back to our camp site I noticed Lydia hadn't really moved at all, thinking about something again. I set one of the disk like rocks down beside her and pulled the cooked rabbit from the end of the stick.

I cut the rabbit in half and handed one of the pieces to Lydia before sitting down even closer than I was before. "I think I'll try changing things a little." setting my makeshift plate on my leg for a little stability I continued. "Something is still on your mind, do you want to talk about it?" I tore a piece of meat off and chewed it after I asked. It could have used a little salt but it wasn't too bad.

"It's nothing to worry about", I replied, smiling. "Just thinking."

After seeing Garren chew some, I took a bite of my half. "Oh, Creators", I mumbled, my mouth watering endlessly.

A minute or so passed, and I was already done. "That was the best thing I've had in years."

I couldn't help but laugh at Lydia's remark about the food. A part me of was glad she had something half way decent to eat again. "It could use a little salt for my taste but I have to admit that it turned out better than I was expecting. Certainly better than the last rabbit I caught."

I stripped the bones of it's meat and chewed each piece thoroughly. Having meat every night wasn't a guarantee so I wanted to make sure I enjoyed the taste of it while I could.

I waited to finish up the last piece before speaking again, "If you'd like Lydia, I would be happy to make you something good when we get to the Frostbacks." I stopped briefly, considering that as another invite for her to remain at Hugh's place with me. I didn't want her to feel pressured so I continued. "Whether you decide to stay or not, you could have one well prepared meal right? By then, you'll have earned it and then some."

((sorry for any typos, i'm doing this on my kindle @.@))I smiled, and replied,"Sounds like a plan."Looking up at the night sky, I could tell it was pretty late. "You should get some sleep. Tomorrow could be holding darkspawn and who knows what else."

I nodded in agreement. "You're right, but what about you? You need your sleep too."

Only then did it dawn on me: We had no shelter against the elements and outside forces of this place. Not unless Lydia had a tent with her. Even then, that's only one small roof over both of our heads.

I thought for a second. "You have a point. I guess I can hitch up my old tent, though it's a little small."

I felt the blood in my cheeks rise back to the surface again. Like I thought... Okay, calm down. Nothing is going to happen.

Despite my best efforts, my first few words were stammered and sounded pretty pitiful. "T-thanks no problem. It's better than nothing, right?"

A small smile appeared on my face. /Did I just make him blush?/

"Don't worry about it."

((i cant do italics,so lydia's thoughts are shown by /'s))

I diverted my eyes and sat there quietly while I tried to get myself under control.

"I guess it can't be helped." I found myself saying the words as though I didn't actually want to sleep in a tent for once. As charming as the night sky was I wasn't very fond of the biting insects that were out here after sun down.

/Wait.....what?/

"I'll get working on that then", I replied, failing to cover up the fact that he acted as if being so close to me was unpleasant bothered me.

I stood up, and rumaged through my pack for tarp and rope.

I cringed a little at the sound of her tone. She sounded... disappointed? I hadn't intended to hurt her feelings, I just didn't want to seem -too- comfortable with the idea. I felt terrible that she reacted this way.

"Would you like some help with that?" I asked, still ashamed.