The Moon's Imprint

After a semi-long glance at Garren with his shirt over his head, I quickly averted my eyes and occupied myself with putting out the fire, mumbling elven phrases and such.

"You go ahead, I'll be there in a bit", I said to Garren, sitting in front of the cooling wood that was now emitting loads of smoke.

"Mamae", I mumbled into the smoke, before he had a chance to reply.

I gave a quick shrug of my shoulders and looked at the small door to the tent. "Fine by me," I half mumbled the words, my voice no longer hiding how tired I felt. "Just don't be too long, alright? You need some sleep too."

I pulled open the door and set down the padding from under my armor to use as a pillow. I laid down on my side, facing the left and trying to take up as little room as possible. My padding smelled a bit too heavily of myself but having been trapped in my armor for the last week or so it couldn't exactly be helped. Washing it could wait until morning, if I got up early enough to not drag Lydia back.

"Mamae? Mamae! ....please. Mamae, why don't you answer me?", I said, my voice cracking as I wiped tears off my cheek.

I threw a rock at the ground with such force that it split in two as soon as it came into contact with the dirt.

My eyes shot open at the sound of something crack. Without moving I laid there silently, listening for any more disturbances. I swore I had also heard the feint sound of a sob.

I sat up and for some reason turned to look in the direction she would have been in were the tent wall not in the way. I dared not open up the flap of a door again, I didn't want to disturb Lydia too much. I simply wanted to stay alert in case anything more serious happened.

I sighed. "I suppose mamae still doesn't forgive me", I whispered to myself, getting up.

I walked over to the tent and opened the flap, sitting down right outside it. "Sorry", I mumbled apologetically, without looking at Garren.

"Don't sweat it Lydia." I dismissed her apology, it wasn't necessary as there was nothing to forgive. I scooted back closer to the left hand side of the tent and gestured for her to enter.

"I'm pretty sure I already know the answer," I diverted my gaze toward the tent wall again, "but I don't suppose you want to talk about it?"

I crawled into the tent and sat, hugging my knees. "It's just--ever since my parents got infected, I've been trying to contact them, but I guess they don't forgive me for leaving the clan. I just wish I could see them one last time."

"But I don't mean to bother you."

I lowered my gaze and turned to face forward again, toward the entrance. "It's not a bother at all." I tried to sound reassuring. I felt like even if I couldn't relate, maybe just talking about it would help ease her mind even if only a little.

"I won't admit to knowing elven traditions and way of life. I am also no mage or user of supernatural arts so I can't say this with absolute certainty but they're still your parents. If their spirits or whatever it is you reach out for are not coming, something else might be troubling them."

"I just don't know. This isn't exactly something I'm too experienced with either. I only discovered it when I was seventeen, and had about a year to experiment with it. And for the last three years...well, let's just say I had a hard time saying anything until now. Mamae was always extremely religious and to-the-book with elven ways, and she wouldn't have left the clan if it weren't for the infection. And popei was even more anal about it. I understand why they don't want to speak to me, but...I can't just give up. Tamlen is probably to afraid to disobey them."

I had to admit, there was zero chance that Mamae and Popei would talk to me, and I don't know why I held onto the tiny sliver of hope that wasn't even there.

"You've probably been wondering how I could have been running this entire time. By now, I would've given up completely and gone to the templars. But there's something I'm searching for." I paused, looking at him, wondering if I could even trust him.

"Something you're looking for, huh?" I mulled the words over in my head, speaking them aloud subconsciously. This time I turned to face Lydia despite how close we were crammed together.

"It must be something important if you've spent the last three years of you life looking for it on your own."

I sighed. "Yeah, I suppose. But it's probably long gone anyways. I dont know why I chase after it."

In oticed how reluctant I was to name the object, and I didn't know what to think about it.

I gave a grim nod of my head, "You're probably still chasing this thing because it's important to you."

I wasn't quite sure what she was talking about and I wanted to ask but I figured I should take this slowly. No need to rush her on telling me so many personal details all at once.

I smiled a tiny bit, and said,"You know how elves are sometimes betrothed? I was, before I left. Poor Cody was teased a lot. I suppose leaving did him a favor... Anyways, a few months before I left he gave me a locket. It was one of the things the bandits took from me besides my voice. I've been looking for it ever since. Every merchant I passed didn't have it. I tracked down the bandits and killed them, and they didn't have it either. "

I knew I could trust him now. But what I was saying would probably push him away.
attachment.php

Attachments

• il_570xN_265668202.jpg
    il_570xN_265668202.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 12
I found myself at a loss for words. She lost her brother, her parents and even a betrothed all in the last few years. On top of that she had lost the one physical reminded of what I could only assume and hope was a happier time for her.

"If we get a lead on this locket of yours, I'd be happy to help you in tracking it down Lydia. It must really mean a lot to you to have gone through all that to find it."

"You're telling me", I sighed. "But I don't even know where to start."

I yawned. "We should probaly get some sleep."

I nodded my head and already began to lay back down. "You're right. We'll need our energy tomorrow." I stretched out my arms as well as I could before actually letting my head hit the padding I was using as a pillow.

I rolled onto my side to face the wall, "Good night, Lydia." I muttered while trying to get reasonably comfortable.