The Misplaced Circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
The feeling of hopelessness washed over Kant as he saw the men pour through the larger gap in the door. Kant unconsciously drew sigils for defense in the air. Kant heard Mona chanting her own spells. He looked at his hands and dropped them. It was useless. They are coming closer. What do we do?

But something changed in the air. A static feeling buzzed throughout. Kant felt his body fill with a familiar warmth. He assumed Mona felt the same thing as she suddenly stopped chanting. A powerful voice boomed in the room, "Detecting attempts in magical activation. Spell code DEF2125. Defense and protection. Failed. Manifestation through lingual activation. Failed. Manifestation through sigil runes. Failed. Magical pressure in air extremely low. Utilizing magic storage." The circles on the floor lit up with magic and began spinning and moving. Each rune flew towards the construct in the center. "Circle shattered. Unknown Cause. Activating body." The large construct suddenly moved. Dust fell from its body as its arms stretched out. The men looked in fear and began to run. "Non Magical entities escaping." With one arm it swept the men and splattered them against the ground. The few survivors was almost out. The magical construct's hand shone bright red and put it onto the floor. Magical symbols flew and circles were drawn until it reached the door. It closed suddenly crushing the first man trying to get through. The remaining men yelled and ran towards the construct, brandishing their weapons high. It was futile. The construct slammed both of its hands together and a spell circle appeared in the air. Kant recognize fire and lightning runes within. A beam of hot energy flew across and burned the rest.

The room was now filled with the stench of burnt death. "Intruders eliminated. Scanning mages." Spell circles appeared under Mona and Kant. Kant trembled in fear. This thing killed those men so easily and with magic. How? "Mages are no threat. Detecting anomaly. Mages do not have magical store. Gems are empty. Activating large scale spell. 2292. Wide area scan." A large spell circle expanded from beneath the construct and beyond the room. It stood their for a few long moments. Kant got close to Mona. "Do you know what this thing is? I've never seen a construct this large or powerful. Usually they cannot move without commands from powerful Wizards. Even golems of the east aren't this sentient." Kant had a worried expression.

• Love
Reactions: GreenLady
Mona watched in silence as the men were eliminated one by one. She felt the spell circle beneath her and she looked at it with slack jaw. She shivered, filled with fear as she watched the construct. As soon as it left her alone had shook her head at Kant. "No...."

She put her head and arms down to the floor, chanting an ancient native prayer of gratitude. She quieted staying in her prostrate position. She was shaking and she gagged as she smelled the blood and burnt flesh.

Kant watched her begin chanting in some kind of ritual. Again she does things that baffles me. I really need to understand what kind of person she is. He stares up at the construct. How is it capable of using magic. I thought all magic was gone now. It was certainly true back at my master's tower. The spell circle now came back and receded within the the construct.

"Analyzing data. Ground level. Teyerim no longer in flight. Displaying catastrophe event through magical manifestation. Class: Illusion." Suddenly the room itself changed and now Kant saw there was no ground or even ceiling. The entire room was like glass and they were above the city of Teyerim. It was still in the sky. But suddenly the surrounding islands fell. Then Teyerim itself. The image changed itself and now they were in this room. There were now other people in it. High Mages and Wizards with their gold lined robes. One of them said, "I don't know whats happening! The magical circuits are breaking down. Power is being shut off. We can't stop the city from falling." Another one with a deeper voice, "How about the heart. Is it still active." "Yes, but it doesn't seem for long. Magic is being expended at tremendous rates. We can't keep it on for long." "Damn," the second one cursed. "Shut it off! We must save it from this phenomenon." "But that will deactivate the shields. The city will be destroyed," the first one answered. "We can't have the heart broken. Its our only way to restore the balance," the deep voice said. "Fine! But we'll have to rely that it is discovered after we crash." They all looked at each other with grim determination. Then they began chanting spells and unwinding ancient bindings. The barrier around the city shrank and only covered this room, but in the process the mages slowly drained their own lives. The man with the deep voice finally said, "Whoever is watching this. Please bring the eyes to the shamans of the south." His eyes burned out with magic and he dropped.

The images now faded. The construct boomed once more, "Prerogative acknowledged. Transferring ownership of Teyerim's eyes to mages." It moved both its large hands and plucked out its eyes. Magic slowly dissipated as it lowered both its arms. One in front of Mona. The other in front of Kant. The two gems sparkled and began to shrink. Until they were small enough to fit a ring. Small spell circles gathered around and small bits of metal liquefied and surrounded the gems until two rings was seen. One with a green stone. The other with a (choose whatever color you want) stone. Kant took the green one. He felt the pulse of magic flowing through it. The construct finally said one last thing but it was in a deep voice, "Please bring back magic. These stones will aid you. But do not squander it. There is only a finite amount. Go to the south. Meet up with the shamans of Hadrin." The voice faded and the room was finally black.

Mona almost passed out as they watched the fall of Teyerim. She watched the scene witth the mages in confusion, before the construct handed them the eyes. It formed into a ring with a lavender stone and she gasped, takin it and putting it on.

She looked at Kant, swallowing hard.

Kant returned the gaze and put on the ring. He felt the rush of magical energies permeate throughout his body. If I casted a spell now... it would certainly work. But I also sense the limit. We can't do that much or it will forever be lost. "Mona, what do you think we should do?"

Mona looked at him with a smile. "Make haste to the southern shamans..." she took off the ring, threading some spare chain to it and putting it around her neck.

He grinned, "Then lets be off. Its going to be a long trip." The scene was somewhat surreal. Kant was a room filled with blood and bodies, yet he didn't care. He had a duty to perform one with tremendous stakes and besides him Mona was there to help. They left the room through an exit that opened up on the other side. Kant stared at the sky. "Where should we head first. I think there is two towns to the south. Gremil and Trebin. I'm not quite sure what either are like."

Mona flinched when they passed the bodies, her hand going to cover her nose at the smell of blood. "I don't know either..." she said, shaking her head and going to stand close to him.

"Hmmm." Kant pulled out a grimoire and began skimming through pages. "I believe Trebin..." He was cut off when an arrow flew by his head. Kant pulled Mona down with him. "Theres more of them and they have bows."

She yelped as he pulled her down. She curled up, growling in frustration. "I'm DONE!" She screamed, standing up and grabbing throwing daggers out of one of her numerous pockets.

Kant eyed her wearily. I should learn to stop wondering why she has so many knives and know how to use them. He drew his own dagger. Another arrow came close. "There seems to be one archer. He seems to be on the rubble above us." Another man came from the sides. "I'll handle this one." He didn't want to but he had had to use a little bit of the magic stored in the ring. "Alright efficiency. I can't waste it on flashy things. Simple steps." The spell came from his mouth quickly and precisely. He felt the certain exhilaration to wield magic once more. Spell circles appeared at his feet and hands. Speed. Kant seem to glide across the ground and stab the man. The spell used very little magic and allowed him to easily maneuver across the rubble. The dark feeling in his gut remained. Yes I still don't want to kill people. But I cannot fail my task.

Mona nodded, heading to attack the man that was heading towards them. She whipped and slashed, wincing as she received a slice to the cheek. She hissed in pain, lashing out and killing the man, watching as he dropped to the ground in a pool of his own blood. Mona wiped her daggers, sticking them back into her pockets. She wiped at the blood on her cheek and waited until Kant joined her.

Kant caught up to Mona in a flash. He quickly scanned the area to find nothing. He sighed in relief. "That should be all of them. But lets move on quickly if we don't want to find more" He began running across the rubble. There was no more surprises awaiting them as they left the boundaries of Teyerim. Kant looked back once more. "This used to be one of the greatest cities. Now only ruins." He looked at Mona intensely. "We are the only ones who can do this. I say the weight of the world lies on our shoulders. And you know what?" Kant didn't know he held back so much emotions. Perhaps it was the initial attack. The death. The blood. But something spilled forth from himself. "I'm scared. I began this journey for the truth. I was one man seeking something lost. But now... I am given a task of great importance. And it scares me. That archer. He had almost killed me. I would have died and that would be the end. You might have finished the journey alone, but I don't know. You know what else scares me." Kant got closer to Mona and put both his hands on her shoulders. "When I think of you dying because of me. Dying because I chose to seek this out. I just break. I'd feel lost. It would be entirely on me. Everything." He dropped both his hands. "I know I'm faltering. I know I should be relieved to have a chance to restore magic. But I feel scared and lost and entirely hopeless." He turned around and restrained tears.

Mona just stared at him with jaw dropped. She attempted to process all of the info and shook her head. She rubbed at her cheek, blood sticking to her fingers as she did. She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him, "I am slightly afraid as well..." She whispered, blushing as she struggled to admit it. She leaned against him. "I am scared, tired, and trying to process everything..."

Her words comforted him and he could feel warmth from her embrace. Kant felt a semblance of control wash over him. Calm settled in his body. His grip on his hand lessened. "I'm sorry for the outburst." He gently moved out of her embrace. It was a small thing, but he felt the loss of her warmth sharply. Cold seeped into it and also into his emotions. He knew he can persevere through his fear as long as Mona was with him. Kant mustered his best winning smile. "Lets go to Trebin. Their known for their alchemy."

Mona nodded, "Oh, okay..." She was trying to keep from being disappointed with his sudden redraw. She walked right beside him, wiping at her cheek in annoyance.

Kant noticed she had been wiping blood off her face. At first he thought it was from their enemies but now he noticed she was cut. "Your hurt." He came close and pulled out a cloth. "Don't move it'll sting a bit." He poured some refined alcohol onto the cloth and dabbed it on her wound. He knew it was a small cut, but he felt like he needed to do something. He held her face still and brushed his finger across the wound. A tiny spell circle appeared on it and it sealed up with bright glow. "I'm not much of a white mage, but my master said it wouldn't do without mastering the basics of all spectrum of magic." He moved away awkwardly his hand lingering longer than he expected. "Okay lets go. We'll need to get as far as possible away from Teyerim and find a spot to camp before night.

Mona pulled away from him slightly , not knowing what to expect. She stilled when he was gentle with her and her eyes widened when she felt the spell. "You shouldn't have wasted magic on me...." She muttered, clearing her throat so she could keep the emotion out of her voice. She followed him, plodding along silently behind him as she put fingers to her cheek with a small smile.

((Grrr hackers. At least we didn't lose that much... I think.))

"I can't let you scar your face." after his response, Kant began heading south.

Their journey had no more surprises. It was neither treacherous or easy. When the trees were beginning to become more sparse and the grasslands were nearing, Kant decided to stop and camp here for the night. He prepared a fire quite easily with his flint and dagger. The weather was dry this season and there was plenty of kindling. When night settled in and only the cool breeze was felt, he began pulling out his food. "I hope we'll have enough until Trebin."

Mona stared at him with wide eyes, sitting down beside him. "I can hunt and provide for us...." She blinked, scooting closer to him.

((UGH I KNOW))

Status
Not open for further replies.