The Misplaced Circle

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You have no say of where I can or cannot search, girl," he spat out with rising anger. He snatched her cloak off her and began searching.

Kant groaned in pain. He saw the man next to Mona. Damn it hurts. If only I had magic. He noticed her eyebrows raise as she talked about her cloak. Does she have some sort of plan? I better get ready if she does something quick. He feigned more pain and grown loudly, shifting his body in position to leap up if need be. I better hope she knows what shes doing.

Mona counted down, any second now he should encounter her daggers. One of them was coated in a sleeping syrup she had scavenged from natives on her way to the city. She hadn't known what she would encounter...and she had wanted to be prepared.

The man finally found what he searched for, "Aha!" but he pricked himself on the daggers tip as he pulled it out. "I knew you had something up your sleeves," he accused. With the dagger now firmly in his hand, he began approaching Mona. "This is going to be so much more fun with a blade than with my hands."

Kant looked with dread as he neared Mona with the dagger. What is going to happen now. Should I try luring him away? As he was contemplating what he should do the man suddenly fell down. The dagger dropping from his hands. Kant felt relief and relaxed. Did Mona use some sort of knockout spell... but how? He stood up and examined the man. The stranger was definitely asleep not dead. So it didn't kill him. "What did you do?," he asked with curiosity burning.

Mona had feigned horror, smiling when he collapsed. She stood, shaking off her clothes and grabbing her robe. She pulled it on, sticking the dagger carefully back into it. "Me? Why, just a little sleeping poison...." She shrugged, patting off the front of the clothes with a wrinkle of disgust on her face.

"Sleeping poison..." Kant said in awe, but also with a tinge of fear. Clearly Mona is quite capable even without magic. He felt a little bit more useless. What have I learned in my life that isn't magic... very little. But refocused quickly. "So what should we do with this guy? He is obviously trying to kill us. And from what he said there seems to be more of them."

He looked down on the man once more. His body shook a bit. This man almost killed me if Mona didn't come in time. "Oh and thank you, Mona. If you hadn't come I could have died." He looked down feeling somewhat ashamed. He couldn't do anything except get beaten down. Kant wondered what he could have done differently. Perhaps he should have learned more than just magic. Before... there was so much reliance on magic. I even remember being too lazy to even carry books around.

Mona looked at Kant with a raised brow. "It is quite alright...I am sure you would have done the same for me." She reached out a hand to slap his shoulder awkwardly. "As for the man....why don't we just snap his neck?"

She walked around the fallen figure, obviously thinking up some cruel way to put an end to his life.

Her response surprised him. "I... guess that would do, since he tried to kill us, but I've never killed anyone. Maybe we should tie him up and question him?" Kant felt uneasy. This is a new situation for him. He had never held responsibility over someones life. To choose whether to kill or not had never crossed his mind. He had learned offensive spells that is capable of killing, but had never thought of actually using it. I'm such a fool. All I've done is learn magic, but have I ever considered what I'll do with it. He asked shakily, "Have you ever killed someone?"

She looked up at him, silently questioning his hesitance. "Of course I've killed someone...I lived amongst so many native tribes....I had to kill or be killed." She went over to look him in the eyes. "I suppose we could tie him up..."

"Alright its settled." Kant went over to the man and flipped him over. There was some rope in his traveling bag. He tied the man's hands and legs. "That should do it." He looked up at Mona. "How long does your poison last?"

Mona grinned. "It last about thirty minutes, long enough to get away from an enemy...."

The sky slowly began to show it's fading light. "It getting dark and I really don't want to be out in the open at night." Kant began walking. "Over this way I've found a spot we can hide until tomorrow. Its a bit small and hidden by larger rubble. We should be able to sleep safely." He had a thought. "I think we should gag the man, so when he wakes up he won't call over any of his companions." Kant slowly began to calm down. There was a semblance of control now.

Kant felt surprised at her calm even joyous demeanor. Earlier she was considering killing a man. Am so I strange to think killing shouldn't be done so easily. Perhaps the native tribes were truly harsh. There was also another strange feeling he couldn't quite place. He felt his face redden. "Lets make haste then. No need having another one come get us."

The storage building wasn't that far. After ducking around some protruding rubble, they finally reached it. He opened the door with a flourish and waved her in. "After you, my lady," he joked.

She followed him, watching the prisoner with cautious eyes. One false move and she would have no hesitation killing him. Mona's head popped up and she smiled, entering the little building before him. "My thanks..."

Kant pushed away some of the junk in the corner and placed the prisoner there. He double checked the bindings. It was tight. "Have you brought some food. If not I can share some of the rations I've brought. Its dry traveling stuff, but still good."

Mona dug in her pack, pulling out a pack of dried rabbit meat. "I have brought some rations with me. Not much but enough to last...I am sure if we look around more of the city tomorrow, we would find something..."

Kant chewed on a bit of dried jerky. He took a swig from and waterskin. "Sounds good." He eyed the prisoner in the corner. "Hopefully he won't bother us in our sleep." He took a bit of cheese and popped it in his mouth. "Should we take turns watching or do you think we're safe enough?"

"It would certainly make sure he is down, but do you know if too much will kill him? I think I still want to question him in the morning."

She laughed. "Too much won't kill him, it will simply knock him out."

Status
Not open for further replies.